Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thank you ALL so much for your reviews- we appreciate the feedback so much! We do hope you H/Hr fans (which we're assuming is ALL of you LOL) will like this chapter *wink* It's a fun one for you D/G'ers as well.

Again, thanks everyone and please let us know what you think!

Far Away - Nickelback

This time, This place
Misused, Mistakes
Too long, Too late
Who was I to make you wait
Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
you know, you know

That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

Ginny rolled her eyes as another member of the staff threw a pile of parchment in her in box. There was no way she was ever going to get all of this boring rubbish transcribed. If it wasn't for her father, she'd have chucked this job ages ago.

"I need that by three," the witch said pointedly.

"I'm sure you do," Ginny muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" the older woman turned and glared at her.

"Nothing," Ginny said with a forced smile. "You'll have it by three."

"I'd better," she said before heading back to her office.

"Cow," Ginny said quietly. She pulled out a fresh piece of parchment and a new quill.

"How are you my sweet girl?" Arthur asked coming out of his office. "You look really busy."

"I am," Ginny said, flexing her hand. "Everyone needs something transcribed today."

"You need any help?" Arthur asked. "I could get Sally to pitch in..."

"I'm sure I can handle it Dad," Ginny said. "I've just been really tired lately is all."

"You should go to bed earlier," Arthur said patting her arm. "You always did like to stay up late."

"I was in bed at nine last night," Ginny said, not mentioning exactly what she was doing in bed.

Arthur laughed. "You shouldn't be all that tired then, Ginevra."

"I don't know what it is," Ginny said. "Maybe I've just got a stomach bug."

"I think something is going around," Arthur said thoughtfully.

A tall bloke with dark brown hair came into the office carrying a bouquet of roses.

"I have a delivery for a Ginny Weasley?" he asked as if he didn't know who she was.

"That's me," Ginny said, gasping as she got a look at the bloke.

Arthur beamed at his daughter. "I imagine I know who they're from..."

"They're not from Harry, Dad," Ginny said, glaring at the polyjuiced Draco standing in front of her.

"You haven't seen the card yet," Arthur pointed out sitting down on the edge of Ginny's desk. "They could be from Harry."

"Dad please don't," Ginny said. "I wish you and Mum and everyone else would stop pushing the two of us together. We're NOT getting back together all right?"

"You never know..." Arthur said reaching into his pocket for some money to tip the delivery boy.

"They're already paid for," the dark haired man smiled at Arthur.

"This is for your trouble, young man," Arthur said handing him a galleon. "I remember what it was like to be young and at work."

"Thank you sir," he said as Ginny glared at him.

"Which florist are you with?" Arthur asked. "That is a nice bouquet. I imagine my wife would love something like that."

"Then you can give these to her," Ginny thrust the flowers at her father.

"Those are for you Miss," Draco said taking them back before Arthur could take them. "I was under strict orders that these were to go to you and you alone."

Ginny sighed and rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she grumbled, not enjoying his little game.

"You'll have to forgive my daughter, she's a little knackered today," Arthur said apologetically.

"Quite all right," Draco replied smoothly.

"Dad, I should really get back to work," she said. "I'll meet you for lunch, okay?"

"Okay," Arthur said looking at his watch. "I actually have a meeting."

"So I'll see you after that," Ginny said quickly.

"Yes," Arthur said standing up and walking out of the room.

"I can't believe you figured out it was---" Draco started to say but Ginny had hit him rather hard on the arm. "What the bloody hell was that for?"

"How could you do that?" she hissed. "Show up here in such a cavalier way? What is WRONG with you?"

"I wanted to see you," he said. "And I didn't think it would do any harm. Your dad didn't know it was me, Gin. He even gave me a galleon."

"Oh a galleon," Ginny said sarcastically. "Isn't that special?"

"Don't you like your roses?" he asked giving her his most charming grin.

"I would if you'd just left them at home," Ginny softened a bit.

"I'll go back home," he said leaning in. "But I just wanted to see you...it gets lonely in the flat all day by myself."

"I'm sorry," she said, leaning forward and giving him a kiss.

"That's more like it," he said smiling at her. "You want to walk me to the lifts?"

"I suppose I could," Ginny conjured a vase and set the roses inside.

Draco grinned and although he wanted to take her hand, he settled for walking closer than necessary. He pushed the down button and looked sideways at her. "You look a little pale, Red. You feeling okay?"

"Just tired," Ginny said. "I've been feeling this way for a few weeks now."

"How would you feel about a nice warm bath when you get home tonight?" Draco asked.

"Will you be there?" Ginny asked with a coy smile.

"If you want," Draco said with a devilish grin.

The lift pinged open and Ginny was surprised to see Luna Lovegood standing there.

"Hello Ginny," Luna said brightly. "I forgot you worked up here."

"Hi Luna..." Ginny said lamely. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm covering the orphanage case," she replied. "The trial's in recess so I thought I'd finish an interview with Ramona Pilmington. She wrote the most fascinating journal about the habits of a---"

Draco snorted.

Ginny elbowed him in the chest. "That's... really fantastic Luna."

There was something familiar about the man standing with Ginny and Luna stepped out of the lift to get a better look.

"Thank you, Miss Weasley," he said to Ginny. "But I should be going now."

"Thank you for delivering the flowers," she nodded as she practically pushed him into the lift.

He winked at her as the lift doors closed.

"That was a delivery man?" Luna asked curiously.

"He brought me some roses," Ginny said. "I don't know who sent them. There was no card..."

"I didn't realise you were seeing anyone," Luna said.

"I'm not," Ginny said sitting back down. "I really have a lot of work to do so um..."

"Of course," Luna said. She knew that Ginny hated this job and only used it to make ends meet. She also knew that Ginny's marks had fallen a great deal during their last year at Hogwarts and the girl had even given up being captain of the Quidditch team. It really was a shame considering what bright future she could have had.

"See you," Ginny said in a non committal tone.

"Bye," Luna said smiling at her friend before walking out.

Ginny shook her head before getting back to her work.

She was just making a dent when she looked up to see Ron walk in.

"Dad's in a meeting," she said.

"I'm not here to see him," he said. "I need to see you."

"About what?" Ginny asked.

"I can't talk to mum about this," Ron said taking a seat. "And Fred and George are out since they'd just take the Mickey..."

"Is it about you and Hermione?" Ginny asked knowingly.

"Has she said anything to you?" Ron asked.

"I don't really talk to Hermione anymore," Ginny said. "You know that."

"Why is that exactly?" Ron asked. "I mean, you two used to be quite close."

"We really don't have a lot in common anymore Ron," Ginny said.

"You have more in common than you think," Ron said his shoulders drooping. "You both fancy Harry."

Ginny slammed her quill down. "I DO NOT FANCY HARRY!" she shouted angrily.

Ron stared at his sister in bewilderment. "Okay, okay....no need to shout."

"I am so sick and tired of all of you trying to push me together with him!" Ginny snapped. "And it's not my fault if Hermione DOES fancy Harry as well!"

"She does, doesn't she?" Ron asked morosely.

"I don't know, and frankly I don't care." Ginny sat back down. "I have WORK to do."

"Please," Ron asked. "I just need your advice."

"What?" Ginny asked impatiently.

He quickly explained to Ginny what had happened the day before in court. "She thinks we shouldn't see each other privately."

"Well all you two do is argue," Ginny said. "Maybe it's not meant to be Ron."

"We don't argue that much," Ron said defensively.

"Sure you don't," Ginny said sarcastically.

"We don't," Ron said. "We've been together for a long time. All couples fight."

"Yes but do they fight every day?" Ginny asked pointedly. "Do they fight two, three sometimes even four times a day?"

Ron was silent.

Ginny pushed back her chair. "Maybe you just need to find someone you're more compatible with."

"How many girls you know that like Quidditch and eating?" Ron asked.

"A lot more than you think," Ginny retorted. "Get out there and start talking."

"You make it sound so easy," Ron said. "It's not as if I'm going to walk out this door and meet the girl of my dreams."

"You never know unless you try," Ginny told him. "Now scoot. I have to have these notes transcribed in an hour."

"Okay," Ron said standing up. "Thanks, Gin."

"Welcome," Ginny waved her brother out.

"Miss Weasley, these reports are nearly two inches short," another witch said throwing the file on Ginny's desk.

"I transcribed every word," Ginny said shoving the reports aside.

"You didn't spell check it either," the witch chastised. "Not to mention the fact that---"

Ginny felt as if she was going to be sick. She tried to focus her attention on what the witch was saying.

"Look I did it exactly how you told me to," Ginny said, getting up and pushing the older woman aside as she dashed out to the loo.

The older woman forgot about her tirade and ran after Ginny. She knocked on the cubicle door. "Miss Weasley, are you okay?"

The redhead held her stomach as she retched. "No I'm bloody not okay," she said, tears coming to her eyes.

"I'll go and get your father," the witch said.

Ginny slumped onto the floor, pressing her forehead to the cool tiles.

A few moments later, Arthur came into the loo. "Ginny? It's Daddy."

"Dad..." she pushed herself up shakily. "I just feel really sick..."

Ginny unlocked the door and pushed it open.

"Sweetheart, you look really pale," Arthur said concernedly. "Let's get you to the nurse."

"No," Ginny said. "I just want to go sit down."

"Are you sure?" Arthur asked.

"Yes," she said, heading back to her desk. "I'll be all right."

Arthur put an arm around her. "Maybe you should go home?" he suggested. "If you're not feeling well."

"I'll be fine," Ginny said, sipping the glass of water her father handed her.

Arthur wasn't convinced. "You don't need to push yourself, Ginny."

"Dad I'm not pushing," Ginny said a bit snappishly. "I'm just taking these notes all right?"

"Okay," Arthur said nodding. "If you're okay, I'll just go back to my meeting."

"Thanks Dad," Ginny gave him a small smile.

Arthur walked away but not before giving his daughter one last sympathetic look.

Ginny put her head in her hands and tried hard to keep her tears at bay. She couldn't figure out what was wrong. Perhaps a visit to a healer would be a good idea.

She decided to drop by St. Mungos on her lunch hour and perhaps that would put her mind at ease.

Ron was leaving the building, his mind on his conversation with his sister and he wasn't paying much attention where he was walking. Just as he was crossing the lobby, he bumped into someone, sending their things flying.

"You should watch where you're going," Luna said softly bending down to pick up her notebooks and papers.

"Sorry," Ron replied absently. "Didn't mean to do that."

"I don't know too many people who intentionally bump into others," Luna said with a slight laugh.

Ron looked at her quizzically. "Why would I do it intentionally?"

"I didn't say you did," she corrected. "You know you could offer to help..."

"Oh sure," Ron squatted down and helped her gather her notes. "I thought you were supposed to be in the courtroom."

"They recessed for the day," Luna replied. "One of the barristers had a family emergency."

"Oh," Ron said lamely.

"What are you doing here?" Luna asked.

"I went to see my sister," Ron replied.

"I saw her earlier too," Luna said. "I went to finish up an interview but the person I wanted to see wasn't in, unfortunately. So, I guess I have the afternoon free...."

"That's nice," Ron said, looking to see if Hermione was anywhere in the lobby.

"She's in her office," Luna said as if reading his mind.

"Huh?" Ron asked.

"Hermione," Luna replied. "That is who you were looking for, right?"

"No," Ron said defensively. "I was just... looking."

"For Hermione," Luna said sagely.

"Why do you care?" Ron asked, suddenly annoyed.

"I had a feeling that was who you were looking for and I thought I'd tell you," she said quietly.

"Well I'm not looking for her," Ron said irritably. "She's not my girlfriend anymore, remember?"

"It doesn't seem as if I'm the one who needs to remember that," Luna said softly.

Ron glared at her before turning on his heel and marching out of the building.

Luna watched him go and wondered if perhaps she shouldn't have said that.

Ron swore under his breath as he headed back for the offices where the Quidditch team was managed. He wanted to hit something and he wanted to hit it hard.

"Hello Weasley," one of his team mates called out as Ron stalked into the changing rooms.

"Hi," Ron muttered, flinging his locker open.

"You missed the big press conference," Chris said.

"What, just to hear that that arse has signed on for another two years as keeper?" Ron snapped. "No thanks."

"He really laid it on thick too," Chris said. "About how much the team meant to him and all that rubbish. In my two years here, he's never spoken more than three words to me."

"I hate that jerk off," Ron snapped. "I should be celebrating as the new team keeper today but NO, I'm stuck as reserve until he's gone."

"You're doing better than me," Chris said. "I'm third string behind Rollins."

Ron threw his jumper into the locker. "It's just been a bad day all around," he said.

"At least you've got a good woman," Chris said encouragingly. When Ron glared at him, he stared at him in disbelief. "I thought you and Hermione...."

"We broke up," Ron said. "Rub some salt in the wound aye?"

"I didn't know," Chris said defensively. "I'm sorry, Ron."

"Ah it's not your fault, I'm sorry," Ron said sullenly.

"It's okay," Chris said. "You should talk to Harry and see if there's anything...."

"I am NOT talking to Harry about this," Ron said angrily.

"He's your best mate, isn't he?" Chris asked. "If you can't talk about it with him..."

"He's part of the reason we broke up," Ron finished dressing in his practise gear.

"What did he do?" Chris asked in confusion. "Wait...did he shag her?"

Ron slammed his locker shut. "Who the fuck knows," he sneered, leaving the room in a huff.

To make matters worse, Harry was on the pitch talking to the coach.

Ron deliberately ignored his so called best friend and grabbed his broom, taking off as high as he could into the sky.

"Weasley!" the coach hollered after him, but Ron was up too far to hear. He looked back at Harry. "And he wonders why he never gets to play."

"I wish that there was a way we could give him a chance," Harry said. "He's a good keeper."

"But his attitude is shite," the coach said. "Harry, I know he's your friend, but he's not the easiest bloke to coach. Never has been. He takes this personal. If he put half of his energy into practising and getting better instead of sulking and acting like the world owes him a favour, I'd be happy to give him a chance."

"If I talk to him, would you consider it?" Harry asked.

"If you can get through to him, I'd be glad to," the coach replied.

"Great," Harry smiled. "Thank you."

"Good luck," the coach said before walking off to talk to the rest of the team.

Harry debated grabbing a broom and following Ron up in the air but decided not to.

Up in the air, Ron was flying like a bat out of hell. Instead of thinking about Harry and Hermione, he found himself thinking about Luna Lovegood. What the hell did she know about him? What business was it of hers whether or not he was looking for Hermione?

"Practise is starting," the coach bellowed from below. "WEASLEY!"

Ron rolled his eyes but aimed his broom for the ground.

Harry watched his friend fly down and motioned to them. "Hey Ron can I have a word?" he called.

Ron opened his mouth to make a snide remark, but the coach yelled, "Its okay, Weasley! You join us when you're through."

"Fine," Ron said angrily stalking over to Harry.

"Hey mate," Harry said. "Listen--"

"Mate?" Ron asked with a laugh.

"Ron what the hell is up with you?" Harry frowned. "Look I know you're upset about Hermione but don't take it out on everyone else all right?"

"Do you want to help me then?" Ron asked. "Because there is a way, you could, Harry."

"Help you with Hermione?" Harry asked. "That's not why I had you come over here Ron."

"You can't, can you?" Ron asked. "Because you want her for yourself."

"Ron stop it," Harry said. "Listen I was talking to the coach and he told me if you want a chance at being a keeper, you need to work on your attitude."

"My attitude was just fine until you decided you wanted my girlfriend," Ron said bitterly. "And then to make matters worse, you re-sign that Teague!"

"I was against it," Harry snapped. "I tried to stop them from resigning without tryouts."

"Right," Ron said.

"Why would I not want you to be on the regular team?" Harry asked, his arms crossed.

"I-I don't know," Ron admitted.

"Look the coach told me straight out if you work on your attitude, he'd be happy to put you in more." Harry told him.

"He said that?" Ron asked in surprise.

"Right to my face," Harry said.

"Oh," Ron said sheepishly. "I didn't know that. This whole thing with Hermione has really gotten to me, Harry."

"I didn't have anything to do with her breaking things off with you," Harry said evenly. "But I'm not going to stop being friends with her."

Ron nodded. "I guess I was just looking for someone to blame."

"You certainly pulled that off well." Harry commented.

"I'm sorry," Ron said quietly. "It's just the idea of you and her together...I don't think I would ever, or could ever get used to that."

"Why?" Harry asked, his thoughts returning to that night he and Hermione had kissed.

"I just don't think I could take losing her to you," Ron said thoughtfully. "She was the first girl I ever loved. And it would be hard to see her with you."

Harry sighed. "Well if it's not meant to be you'll have to get used to seeing Hermione with other blokes. And she'll have to get used to seeing you with other girls."

"As long as it's not you, I'd be okay with it," Ron said. He looked over his shoulder. "I better join the practise. Thanks for talking to the coach, Harry."

Harry sighed as Ron went back onto the field. He just couldn't understand what would be so wrong with Hermione being with him.

Then again, there was no guarantee that Hermione had any feelings for him.

*** *** ***

Due in part to his conversation with Ron earlier that day, Harry had decided to try and move on from his thoughts about Hermione. He'd asked out one of the receptionists that had always been a little sweet on him and he was taking her out for dinner.

He'd made reservations at one of the poshest restaurants in London. He'd just put on his dress shirt and trousers and was about to put on his tie when he heard a knock on the door.

Wondering who was at the door, he tried to fix his tie with one hand while grabbing the doorknob with the other.

"I hope you're hungry," Hermione said brightly when he opened the door. "Because I have two large pizzas here with everything on it. Ahh, did you just get in? I got here just in time."

"Hermione," Harry said in surprise. "I um... actually I..." he didn't want to admit his plans to her.

She breezed past him into the flat. "I picked up a couple of movies, too. I don't have to work tomorrow so we can watch them both. Don't worry, I did get one action film to balance out my romantic comedy one."

"Hermione," Harry said, still trying to fix his tie. "I have a date tonight."

The smile on Hermione's face faltered a bit. "Oh."

"It's a girl from work," Harry said awkwardly. "We're going to dinner..."

"Right," Hermione said nodding. "I should have owled before I came over unannounced like this. That's what I get for being spontaneous for the first time in my life."

"It's okay," Harry managed a smile at her. "I appreciate the thought, I really do. And I'd like to stay--"

Hermione picked the pizza boxes back up and shook her head. "No, Harry. You go out and have a good time. We can do this another night."

"Are you sure?" Harry asked. "I could reschedule."

Hermione forced a smile. "That poor girl would probably kill you if you cancelled on her. No, you go and have a good time." She set the boxes down and stepped closer to him. "You were always bad at ties..."

Harry caught his breath as she fixed it for him. Aside from a casual hug, they never stood this close to each other anymore.

"There," Hermione said looking up at him. He really did look quite handsome, she thought wistfully.

"Thanks," he said softly. "You're the best."

"It's just a tie," she said still looking up at him.

"And like you said, I can never get those," he teased.

"Right," Hermione said finally stepping away. "You have fun tonight with...what's her name?

"Karen," Harry answered.

"Karen," Hermione repeated. "I hope you and Karen have a great time tonight."

"Thanks," Harry said, suddenly wanting nothing more than to cancel this date and spend the evening with Hermione, despite his intentions of trying to forget about his feelings for her.

She picked up the boxes and walked toward the door. "Good night, Harry."

He was silent as she left. After staring at the door for a moment he ripped off his tie and untucked his shirt, then headed for the fireplace to Floo Karen.

A few minutes later, Hermione opened the door to her apartment and gave a slight smile at Crookshanks who stared up at her. "It's just you and me tonight, you little devil. I hope you like pizza."

Crookshanks let out a purring meow and stretched his long paws out.

"Come on," she said setting the boxes down. "You can keep me company while I change into something comfortable."

Crookshanks followed her into the bedroom and kneaded his claws on the edge of her bed as she quickly changed into her most comfortable pyjama trousers and long sleeved shirt.

The doorbell chimed and she looked at Crookshanks. "Don't tell me you have a hot date, too?"

Crookshanks cocked his head to the side and stared at her, making Hermione laugh a bit as she headed to the front door.

Swinging open the door, she saw her best friend standing there with a bottle of wine.

"Harry?" she asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I cancelled," he said ruefully. "I wanted to spend the evening with you instead."

Hermione stared at him. "And how did Karen take the news?"

"I guess she wasn't that happy," Harry said.

"I can't imagine she was," Hermione said shaking her head. "But I am glad you're here."

He held out the bottle as he came inside. "It's your favourite," he told her.

"Going to get me drunk are you?" she asked teasingly.

"That takes what, one glass?" Harry asked with a smirk.

"You are never going to let me forget that, are you?" she asked hitting him on the arm.

"No way," he said, taking two goblets down from her cabinet. He knew her kitchen as well as his own.

"Did I really sing?" she asked. "Because I think you made that part up."

Harry snorted. "You sounded like a sick Weird Sister."

"You promised you wouldn't tell another living soul about that," she said nudging him as she went to the cabinet to get the plates.

"You're the only one I ever said anything to," Harry said. "You and Crookshanks that is." he grinned at the cat.

"He likes you better than me, I think," Hermione said laughing as Crookshanks sat at Harry's feet.

"No way," Harry said. "I'm just the one that slips him people food."

"Come on," Hermione said grinning at him. "We can eat in the sitting room while we watch the movies."

"Sure," Harry said, smiling back at her.

"It's a shame you changed out of your nice suit," Hermione said. "But you would be a little overdressed for pizza and a movie in my boring old flat."

"You don't like my jeans?" Harry pretended to be hurt. "And here I always thought I looked respectable in them..."

"You look fantastic in them," Hermione said quickly. "And I'm one to talk in my grotty old pyjamas."

"You look great," Harry said. "To me, you always look great." he blushed.

Hermione's cheeks reddened. "Well, it's not every man that gets to see me like this."

"So I guess that exclusive interview I was going to give to the Prophet about you in your pyjamas is a no go?" Harry joked.

Hermione laughed. "As if anyone would want to read about that. Now you, on the other hand, I'm sure that they'd be interested to know that you wear boxer shorts..."

"As opposed to briefs?" Harry teased.

"Yes," she said laughing. She and Harry sat down on the sofa and she smiled at him. "This is nice, isn't it?"

"It is," Harry agreed, digging into his pizza. "This is great," he said with his mouth full.

"Just like you like it," Hermione said with a grin. "And don't worry, I didn't get any onions."

"You're the absolute best," Harry said.

"I know you as well as I know myself," she said leaning against him.

Harry comfortably slid an arm around her, wishing that they were sitting here as a couple rather than just friends. "Good choice on the movies too."

"I asked the man at the shop to give me the one with the most blood and guts and explosions," Hermione said before taking a bite of her own pizza.

Harry laughed. "Blood, guts and explosions goes so well with messy pizza."

"And to think you could have been eating escargot or caviar with Karen at some fancy restaurant," she said.

"I like pizza better than those sorts of things," Harry made a face.

"So do I," Hermione admitted. "Too bad those fancy restaurants look down on pizza."

"That's a damn shame," Harry agreed, reaching for a second slice.

"It is," Hermione agreed. "So which one you want to watch first? Blood, guts and explosions or sappy chick flick?"

"What do you think?" Harry gave her a look.

"Blood and guts it is," Hermione said setting her plate aside.

"You DO know me well," Harry said, watching her walk over to the telly.

"We can eat ice cream when the chick flick comes on," she said looking at him over her shoulder.

"You got ice cream?" he asked, staring at her.

"Chocolate," she said.

"There's the main reason I passed up on my date," Harry joked. "Chocolate ice cream. At those restaurants they call it things like jelled ice or gelato or something."

"So the way to your heart is chocolate ice cream?" Hermione teased. "I should sell THAT to the Daily Prophet."

"You wouldn't dare, Granger." Harry said.

"You'd have so many witches sending you the stuff in the post," Hermione said with a mischievous grin. "And you'd give it to me, of course."

"I certainly don't want to get fat," Harry mocked.

"We can't all have Ron's metabolism," Hermione said, but at the mention of her ex, she frowned. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Harry said.

"I wish we could all go back to how it used to be," she said softly. "When we were all friends and nothing got in the way."

"I wish that too," Harry agreed. "I also wish that the whole Weasley family would stop trying to push me and Ginny together."

"They're not giving up anytime soon," Hermione said sympathetically. "You remember how happy Mrs. Weasley was when she found out you and Ginny were dating."

Harry frowned. "We dated for two weeks," he said.

"I remember," Hermione said with a scowl.

"It was nice, at the time." Harry replied. "But it was pure lust, nothing more."

"Please," Hermione said her nose scrunching up in disgust. "I don't want to think about you and Ginny and your...lust."

"All right," Harry said. "Sorry..."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said quickly. "I just....I was never really comfortable with you and her...together."

"You weren't?" Harry was surprised.

Hermione blushed. "Not really."

"I thought you didn't mind," Harry said. "I mean... she said you gave her advice and everything..."

"I gave her advice?" Hermione asked pulling a confused face. "I never gave her advice about you."

"But..." Harry was baffled. "Oh bother, what does it matter now..."

"It just came out of nowhere," Hermione said running her finger along her wine glass. "One day you saw her as your sister and the next, you were snogging her in the common room for everyone to see. And at first, I was happy because it seemed that she made you happy. And if anyone deserved to be happy, it's you."

"I guess," Harry ran a hand through his hair.

Without thinking, Hermione put her hand on Harry's arm. "But then, it just seemed....wrong. And I----"

"You what?" Harry asked quickly.

"It's not important," Hermione said looking away.

"Hermione tell me," Harry insisted.

"Felt jealous," Hermione said in a hushed tone.

Harry was silent for a good few moments. "You were jealous of her?"

Hermione nodded and turned an even brighter shade of red. "I was scared that she was going to take my place. I know it sounds stupid."

"No one could ever take your place," Harry said. "No matter what Hermione."

"Someone might," Hermione said looking up to meet his gaze.

Harry stared into her eyes for a few moments, then unconsciously found himself leaning forward.

"Harry," she whispered.

"Yeah," he asked huskily.

"W-what are we doing?" she asked leaning in.

"I don't know," Harry said. "But whatever it is, I want to do it..."

Before she could lose her nerve, Hermione closed her eyes and pressed her lips to Harry's.

Surprised that once again she had taken the initiative, Harry pushed her against the arm of the sofa, kissing her fully.

Hermione's arms wrapped around him, pulling him even closer.

Harry was practically on top of her, running his fingers through her hair as he tasted her lips over and over again.

"Harry," she breathed against his skin.

"This feels amazing," he said, cupping her face in her hands and kissing her.

"I feel the same way," she said smiling up at him.

He stroked her hair off her forehead before pressing his lips to hers again. Part of him was telling him how wrong this was yet the other part kept urging him to go on.

She too was wondering if perhaps things were moving too fast. But, Hermione didn't want him to stop. This felt too right.

Harry's hands started to explore her body a little more- his fingers crept under her shirt and up her bare stomach.

"It's okay," she assured him softly.

"You sure?" he asked.

In response, Hermione kissed him. "You...you want to go the bedroom?"

"Yes," he said his breath hot on her skin. "I want to more than anything... but..."

"What?" she asked, but she already knew the answer.

"We can't do that," Harry stammered.

"Ron," Hermione said quietly, resting her forehead on Harry's.

"Today," Harry began softly. "Today he told me he could handle seeing you with anyone but me."

"He did?" Hermione asked.

"At practise," Harry admitted.

"So we forget about what just happened?" Hermione asked. "Forget what we feel?"

"I don't know," Harry pushed himself off her with a heavy sigh.

"You feel something for me, don't you?" she asked. "Because I---"

"I do," he said. "It's impossible for me not to Hermione."

Hermione couldn't help smiling at this. "I never forgot about that night when you left..."

"We've never talked about that," Harry said.

"I thought you didn't want to talk about it," Hermione said. "When you came back, you didn't say anything and I just assumed..."

"I didn't think you wanted to talk about it," Harry pushed his glasses up his nose.

"What idiots we are," Hermione said with a hollow laugh.

"Yeah," Harry said sheepishly. "And now I don't know what to do. We both know how Ron is with carrying grudges..."

"I don't know if I can just bury these feelings," Hermione said. "Not that I haven't had practise."

Harry tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "We'll figure something out."

"Can you stay here tonight?" she asked. "We don't have to do anything..."

"Sure," Harry agreed immediately.

Hermione hugged him. "Maybe he'll come around someday."

"He'll have to," Harry replied.

Hermione gave him another kiss. "I couldn't resist one last one."

"How about one more?" Harry asked, pressing his lips to hers again.

"It couldn't hurt," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck.

He kept his lips on hers for several minutes. "I'll have sweet dreams tonight." Harry smiled at her.

"Me too," she said smiling back at him.

He moved down on the sofa, pulling the blanket over the both of them as they tried to concentrate on the movie playing on the telly.

Hermione rested her head on his chest and felt herself drifting off to sleep.

He could hear her steady breathing a few minutes later and he ran his hand gently through her hair. With his other hand, he put his glasses on the coffee table and closed his own eyes.

Neither of them knew that soon enough, Ron would be the least of their problems.