Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: We continue to be blown away by the response this story continues to get from you guys. Thank you so much for the feedback. We hope you enjoy this latest chapter and a Happy Belated Birthday to Ronald Weasley!

Someone Said Goodbye - Enya

Summer. When the day is over
there's a heart a little colder;
someone said goodbye,
but you don't know why.
Somewhere there is someone keeping
All the tears they have been weeping,
Someone said goodbye,
But you don't know why.

Is there a reason
Why a broken heart begins to cry?
Is there a reason
You were lost although you don't know why?
Give me a reason
Why you never want to say goodbye.
If there's a reason,
I don't know why.

***

Ginny not only had second doubts about telling her father, but she had third doubts, fourth doubts, even fifth and sixth ones. Draco was in his polyjuiced form next to her, as she wouldn't go alone and her palm was sweaty in his.

"It's going to be okay," Draco reassured her. "Your dad practically adores Potter, right?"

"Well yes," Ginny said. "But you're not him..."

"I look like him though," Draco said grinning at her. "I'll change back after you tell him the truth and everything will be fine."

"Okay," Ginny said, still nervous.

Draco knew this wasn't going to be easy and to tell the truth, he wasn't looking forward to this either. He didn't care one jot about Arthur Weasley or Ginny's brothers. He'd be happy if they just ran away and started life somewhere new.

"Wait a minute," Ginny said, mussing his hair. "You look too neat to be Harry."

Draco laughed. "I still can't believe you ever dated that arse."

"Shut up," Ginny said. "I was fifteen all right?"

"And I dated Pansy Parkinson," Draco said as Ginny continued to mess with his hair. "There's a year of my life I'll never get back."

"Now that is disgusting," Ginny replied. "There..."

"Let's get this over with," Draco said pushing the up button for the lift. "I hate looking like this."

"I prefer seeing you as yourself too," Ginny said.

"Good answer, Red," Draco said. "Just remember to tell him just like I coached you."

"I'll try," Ginny said, slipping her hand into his.

The lift pinged open and they stood back for the other people to get out.

"Hello, Ginny," Luna said nearly bumping into the girl. "I stopped by to see you, but your father said you had the day off. Hi, Harry."

Ginny kicked Draco's leg.

"Lovegood," Draco muttered.

Luna stared quizzically at him. "I'm surprised to see you here. When I spoke to you last night you said that you would be working all day."

"Can't I take a break?" Draco eyed her lazily.

"I suppose," Luna said still looking uncertainly at him. "The trial's in recess. If you hurry, you'll be able to catch up to Hermione."

"Why would I want to see that---" Draco started to say.

"Thanks Luna," Ginny said hurriedly. "See you."

She pushed Draco into the lift and watched with a stricken expression as the doors closed on Luna's shell shocked face.

"You nearly blew it," she hissed to Draco when they were alone.

"Ease up," Draco scoffed. "I don't care about Loony Lovegood."

"Yeah well you should," Ginny snapped. "She's good friends with Harry."

"Further reason why I should care less," Draco said giving her a kiss. "For luck, Gin."

Ginny closed her eyes, picturing Draco kissing her and not Harry.

The lift pinged open and they pulled reluctantly away from each other. Ginny's hands were shaking as she allowed Draco to lead her to her father's office.

"Ginevra," Arthur said with a smile upon seeing his daughter. "And Harry!"

"Hi Daddy," Ginny said giving him a hug. "We thought we'd stop by and see you."

"Mr. Weasley," Draco said in a low voice.

"Always good to see you Harry," Arthur peered at him. "You sound as if you've got a frog in your throat my boy."

Draco coughed. "Bit of a cold is all."

"What brings you by on your day off sweetheart?" Arthur asked.

"Harry and I had something we wanted to tell you," Ginny said sitting down on the brown sofa across from her father's desk. Draco sat down beside her.

"I think I know what this is," Arthur said beaming at them.

"Maybe," Draco crossed his arms.

"I can't say this comes to me as a surprise," Arthur said. "Your mother and I have been expecting this for years now."

"Daddy--" Ginny started to say.

Arthur grinned. "We've always thought of Harry as one of the family..."

Draco couldn't stop himself from snorting and Ginny gave him a look.

"So when are you two going to be wed?" Arthur looked at them expectantly.

"As soon as possible," Ginny said quietly. "We sort of have to."

"Have to?" Arthur was confused for a moment. "Ginevra--"

"I'm pregnant," Ginny blurted out.

Arthur stared between her and the polyjuiced Draco for several tense moments.

"I just found out a few days ago," Ginny continued. "And it's not as if we wouldn't have taken this step eventually."

"I love your daughter," Draco said looking at Ginny. "And there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her."

"Well," Arthur said. "I must say, this isn't what I was expecting to hear after all but..." he peered at Draco again. "Harry..."

Draco was still looking at Ginny.

"I love him too," Ginny said softly resting her head on Draco's shoulder.

"Harry," Arthur turned him around. "Your hair is changing colour..."

"W-what?" Draco asked angrily.

Ginny slapped her hands over her mouth in horror- they'd obviously waited too long at home before leaving and now he was changing back into himself.

"Malfoy," Arthur said coolly. He reached for his wand. "Ginevra...you go and get help."

"No," Ginny shook her head. "Daddy it's not what you think--"

"Stand back, sweetheart," Arthur said pointing his wand at Draco.

"NO!" Ginny said, standing in front of her beloved. "Daddy, Harry's not the father of my baby. Draco is!"

Draco sneered. "That's right, Weasley. Me."

Arthur's face was set in stone. "Ginevra what on earth have you done?"

Ginny looked at her father. "I love him, Daddy."

"That's right," Malfoy said stepping closer to Ginny. "She saved my life."

"Get away from my daughter," Arthur said angrily. "You're a vile, deceitful wizard, just like your father. And you will also rot away in Azkaban like him as well!"

"You really want to do that to the father of your grandchild?" Draco asked. "You'd really do that?"

"I don't trust Malfoys," Arthur said evenly.

"Daddy, that's not fair!" Ginny argued. "You always told us when we were growing up not to judge other people by who they were. You're doing that right now!"

"Ginevra get over here," Arthur snapped.

"No," Ginny said stubbornly.

"Ginevra I won't ask again," Arthur warned. "This will break your mother's heart."

"She's always said that she wants me to be happy," Ginny said. "And Draco does that. Can't you just try and get to know him. If you do this, I know Mum will come round."

"No," Arthur said. "Not a Malfoy. Not in my house or in my family."

"Fine," Ginny said moving for the sofa to retrieve her bag. Arthur reached for her arm causing her to stumble.

"Get your hands off her," Draco pushed the older man away.

"She's my daughter!" Arthur said angrily.

"She's going to be my wife," Draco snapped back. "Despite the fact that you hate me, Ginny and I love each other. We're going to have a baby and I'm going to marry her."

"Over my dead body," Arthur said reaching again for his wand.

"That can be arranged," Draco threatened.

Arthur finally managed to grab his wand and he pointed it directly at Draco. "You will never be part of my family. Never."

"Daddy please don't," Ginny said, tears in her eyes.

"You will never see my daughter again," Arthur said grabbing onto Ginny's arm with his free hand. "Come on, Ginevra. I want to get you home."

"NO!" Ginny screamed.

"I told you to get your hands off of her!" Draco screamed.

Arthur faced Draco only to see the blond's wand pointed directly at him.

"You've left us with no choice," Draco said making a move to pull Ginny toward him.

Ginny allowed Draco to pull her close. "I'm going to be with him Daddy," she whispered.

"NO!" Arthur shouted.

Draco kept his wand trained on Arthur. "Let us go."

"You get out of here," Arthur snapped, making a move towards his desk to sound an alarm- every Ministry office was equipped with one.

Draco would be damned if he was going to go to Azkaban at Arthur Weasley's hands.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" Draco yelled.

Ginny screamed again as her father's body slumped over the desk. "WHAT DID YOU DO?" she shoved Draco aside.

"He---he was going to send for security," Draco said staring in disbelief at Arthur Weasley's body. "I-I've never...I never..."

"You killed my father," Ginny sobbed hysterically. "Draco what did you do?"

"...killed anyone," Draco finished weakly. He lowered his wand and felt as if his legs were about to give. "Ginny...we...we need to get out of here now..."

"You killed my father," Ginny was draped over Arthur's dead form, gripping his robes.

"I-I didn't mean to," Draco said going to her side. Someone knocked at the door causing both of them to jump.

"Mr. Weasley?" a voice called out from the other side of the door. "Are you okay? We heard shouting..."

"Draco what are we going to do?" Ginny was desperate.

Draco thought for a minute. "Um...I'm going to....I'm going to Apparate back to our flat. I-I'm sure everyone saw you come in here with Harry..."

"You can't Apparate out of here," Ginny whispered through clenched teeth.

"I can't?" Draco asked feeling stupid. "Right...well, is there any way I can sneak out of here then?"

The knocking on the door became more insistent. "Mr. Weasley?"

"No," Ginny's eyes were filled with tears again. "Draco there's nowhere we can go."

"Do you---do you have anymore of the potion?" Draco asked reaching for her bag on the sofa. "I could probably walk out of here as Potter..."

"You can't do that!" Ginny hissed as he dug through her bag, extracting a small vial.

"You want me to go to Azkaban?" Draco asked glaring at her. "Because if I don't do this, that's exactly where I'll go!"

Ginny didn't know what to say or do. Her mind was going in twenty different directions. She looked back and forth between her father's body and Draco as he swallowed the contents of the vial.

Within moments, he'd transformed back into Harry. The knocking again grew more insistent. "Tell them that you're fine," he instructed his fiancée." "Do it, Gin."

"I can't," Ginny whispered. "I can't Draco!"

"You have to," Draco pleaded. "For me, please!"

Ginny stared at him, her lower lip trembling dangerously. "We're fine," she said in as clear a voice as possible.

"Are you sure?" the voice called back. "I heard shouting..."

"We're fine," Ginny said in a stronger voice. "Leave us!"

"Okay," the woman's voice said and Draco listened at the door.

For what seemed like forever, neither of them spoke. "Someone will find him," Draco said gently. "Come on, Ginny. Let's go home."

"My father," she whimpered. "Oh Merlin..."

"He gave me no choice," Draco said putting an arm around her as she sobbed. "Ginny, I wish I could take it back."

"They're going to send us both to Azkaban." she sobbed. "We were both in here..."

"No one has to know," Draco said comforting her. "They saw you walk in here with Potter, not me."

"Exactly," Ginny cried out. "They saw ME in here too!"

Draco began to pace, trying to collect his thoughts. "Um, what if...what if you tell them that you came here to get Harry to confess to getting you pregnant and... and refusing to marry you...."

"Frame him?" Ginny asked. "You've gone mad Draco."

"It's the only way out of this!" Draco said angrily. "Unless you have some better idea..."

"You shouldn't have killed him," Ginny said in a shrill voice.

"I didn't mean to," Draco said quietly. "He was going to send me to Azkaban. Is that what you wanted?"

"No," Ginny sobbed again. "I don't know what I want."

Draco kneeled before her and cupped her face in his hands. "I'm sorry, Ginny. You know I didn't mean to do this."

Ginny stared at him, and then shook her head. "Let's do what we have to do," she said dejectedly. "To get out of here..."

"I love you," he said giving her a kiss. "Come on..."

Ginny nodded, tears in her eyes as she looked at her father again.

"Daddy," she whispered. "I'm so sorry."

"Come on baby," Draco said. "We'll figure this out."

Ginny kissed her father's forehead. His skin was so cold and pale. She finally allowed Draco to pull her to her feet.

"Come on," he said again. "Just stay calm..." he was already hatching a new plan in his head for how he would get them out of this.

"Should I go first?" she asked. "And then you?"

"We'll go together," he said firmly.

She nodded wordlessly and leaned against him for support.

An hour later Draco came back, freshly disguised as Harry Potter. Without any glances at anyone, he strode to Arthur's office, set on framing his archenemy for Arthur Weasley's murder.

*** *** ***

Harry had arranged for them to go to a posh Muggle restaurant that evening, so Hermione dressed with care in a nice dress and was in the midst of putting on her jewellery when her doorbell rang.

Crookshanks followed her to the door and she grinned nervously at him before opening the door.

"Hey," she said. "I'm almost ready- come on in."

He didn't make any move to go inside instead he just stared at her. "You don't need to do anything else," he said a nervous tone to his voice. "You look....beautiful."

"Thanks," she said, a bit shyly. "Um... did you want anything to drink?"

He shook his head. "I already had a little something in the car on the way over." At her shocked expression, he laughed. "I wasn't driving! I hired a car for the evening."

"You did?" Hermione asked. "Harry!"

"What?" he asked innocently.

"You're going to all this trouble," Hermione said.

"It's our first date," Harry said finally stepping into the room. "And I wanted to make it special for you."

"Thank you," Hermione said, leaning over to kiss him.

He smiled. "I haven't done anything yet."

"But if I know you, you will," Hermione laughed. "I'll only be a few minutes."

"Okay," he said squeezing her hand before letting her go.

Hermione finished getting ready quickly and Harry was already in the hallway with her coat when she came out of her room. "Are you reading my mind?" she teased.

"Maybe," he said with a wink. "You really do look amazing."

"You always clean up nice," Hermione replied. "I remember seeing you in dress robes at the Yule Ball during our 4th year. You were quite fetching Harry."

Harry laughed as he helped her into her coat. "That wasn't one of my better nights. I think Parvati Patil still hates me for that."

"Nah," Hermione grinned at him. "Not after how fanciable you were in 6th year."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I'd like to forget our sixth year."

"So would I," Hermione wrinkled her nose. "I still think of canaries and it gives me the chills."

"Kind of feels like we weren't ourselves then, doesn't it?" Harry asked holding the door for her.

"Hardly," Hermione replied, gasping at the sight of the limousine waiting outside.

The driver was leaning against the car and stood up abruptly when he saw them. He made a move for the door, but Harry shook his head. "I've got it, Raymond. Thank you."

"Very good sir," the chauffer replied.

"My, my..." Hermione was impressed as she slid inside.

"You're doing better than me," Harry said with a laugh as he slid in beside her. "When I first got in here, I was looking around like a kid in a candy shop. There's a telly in here, too."

"These cars are incredible," Hermione agreed. "Better than any old broom."

"As if I could get you on a broom," he said nudging her.

"You can't," Hermione said pertly.

"I know I've said this before, but you'd like it if you gave it a chance," he said grinning at her. "There's nothing in the world like it, Hermione."

"That's your opinion," Hermione replied. "Definitely not mine."

Harry poured them both a glass of champagne. "You just haven't had the right experience on a broom is all."

"Keep wishing," Hermione accepted the glass with a smile. "You won't be getting me on a broom Potter."

"I never thought I'd get you on a date," he said clinking glasses with her. "But look at us now."

"That's true," she said sipping the champagne. "We've wasted a lot of time Harry. I wish we had talked about that kiss sooner."

"Me too," he said leaning back in his seat. "When I came back, I was so out of it. And you and Ron were..."

"Together," Hermione shook her head. "It was more for comfort at the time but now I wonder why I stayed with him so long. Convenience I suppose..."

"There were so many times when I almost asked you about it," Harry said looking at her.

"No more regrets," Hermione said, brushing his wayward hair out of his eyes. "We're here now."

"Right," Harry said grinning at her. "This is a new start for us."

She moved closer to him on the seat and finished her champagne. "So what restaurant are we going to?"

"Le Gavroche in Mayfair," Harry replied. "Have you heard of it?"

"No," Hermione shook her head. "What's it like?"

"I don't actually know," Harry admitted. "Neville recommended it. It was where he proposed to Susan."

"Must be nice if we're all gussied up like this," Hermione leaned against him.

"Nothing but the best for you," he said putting his arm around her.

Light conversation flowed between them as they arrived at the restaurant. "This is nice," Hermione was impressed.

"It is," Harry agreed looking around the elegant dining room. After they checked their coats, Harry took Hermione's hand.

"Here's your table sir," the maitre d set the menus down. Harry pulled Hermione's chair out for her and then took his.

Harry watched as Hermione looked around the room.

"I think we might be the youngest people here," he whispered impishly.

"I think so too," she laughed. "I suppose that means the food is good. Elderly people can be so picky about what they eat."

He grinned over his menu at her. She asked him what he was thinking of getting and he reluctantly tore his eyes from her and tried to concentrate on the menu. To his horror, the entire menu was in French.

"Hmmm..." Hermione grinned. "Interesting menu here..."

"Yeah," Harry gulped.

"Need some help?" Hermione asked. "I know a bit of French."

Harry shook his head although he did need help. Big time. He was just wondering if he could sneak off to Fleur Delacour Weasley's house to get her to translate for him when the waiter approached their table. Harry decided to just order whatever Hermione did. They usually enjoyed the same foods.

"I'll have the coque au vin," Hermione ordered once their waiter came over with their wine.

Harry smiled in relief. "That sounds great. I'll have one of those, too."

"Very good sir," the waiter nodded.

"Do you know what I ordered?" Hermione asked with a laugh once he'd gone.

"Of course," Harry lied.

"I didn't know you were so fond of snails," Hermione was enjoying his.

"Snails?" Harry asked a stricken look on his face. "You...you ordered snails?"

"They're quite delicious," Hermione bit her lower lip to keep from laughing.

He made a mental note to never, ever listen to advice from Neville Longbottom ever again. He should have gone with his instinct and taken her to an Italian place or some restaurant that served traditional English foods. Now, he was going to be eating...snails. And all because he had so wanted to make this evening special for her.

"Harry," Hermione couldn't hold her giggles any longer. "You're too easy to tease! We both ordered chicken in wine sauce."

For a moment, he was too stunned to speak. But her laughter was infectious and he couldn't help joining in. "You are an evil woman, Hermione Granger."

"You love it," she said, still laughing.

"Possibly," he said leaning back in his chair. "So, I don't know a word of French. You found me out."

"I suspected as much," Hermione sipped her wine.

Harry laughed. "I get it. You enjoyed watching me squirm."

"It's a rare occasion you're caught off guard," Hermione's eyes twinkled.

"The Boy Who Lived isn't perfect," Harry said with a gasp.

"Who'd have thought?" Hermione deadpanned.

"My best friend for one," Harry said. "Who enjoys watching me make a fool out of myself..."

"Well could you imagine Ron in a place like this?" Hermione asked, shaking her head. "He'd just point and eat."

"Ron," Harry said quietly.

Hermione bit her lower lip. "Sorry, I didn't mean to bring him up."

"He'd have come up eventually," Harry said shaking his head.

"We don't have to talk about him tonight Harry," Hermione objected.

"He's going to hate us both," Harry said. "Are we ready for that?"

"He'll have a typical Ron Weasley reaction," Hermione nodded. "We'll get the backlash, but once he realises that we're not going to hide how we feel he'll get over it."

"I'm not so sure," Harry said quietly. "I know what it's like to watch the woman you love with another bloke..."

"Do you?" she asked intently.

Harry nodded. "It's not easy."

"I suppose it wouldn't be," she said softly, her eyes still trained on his.

"I never told anyone," Harry said softly. "How I felt..."

"I guess you could say I never did either," Hermione confessed quietly. "I just hid behind Ron all this time."

He reached across the table for her hand. "I've had some pretty amazing dreams about you though."

She blushed. "Harry!"

He squeezed her hand. "It's the truth and you did say you wanted us to be honest with each other."

"Well of course," Hermione began but a commotion at the front of the restaurant made them both turn around and look.

"I wonder what's going on," Harry said craning his neck for a better look.

"I'm not sure," Hermione said. "Looks like police or something..."

Harry recognised two familiar figures and he wondered what on earth they would be doing here in a Muggle restaurant.

"Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt," Harry said looking at Hermione who could only shrug in response.

"What on earth would they be doing here?" she wondered as they began working their way over to the table she and Harry were sitting at.

The two Aurors wore grave, serious expressions and Harry wondered what horrible news the two of them must have.

"Harry," Tonks said. "Can you come outside with us? There's something we need to discuss with you."

"What's going on?" Hermione asked before Harry could even get up.

"It'd be best if we told you outside," Tonks said. "Come on..."

Harry wordlessly got up and Hermione followed them out, feeling in her gut that something was very, very wrong.

"What's going on?" Harry asked when they were out of earshot of the other patrons.

"Arthur Weasley was found dead in his office late this evening," Kingsley said quietly.

Hermione slapped her hands over her mouth and let out a loud cry.

Harry was speechless as he tried to comprehend what Kingsley had just told them. Arthur Weasley had been like a father to him and had always treated him as one of his own.

"I hate to ask you this," Kingsley said. "But where were you this afternoon, Harry?"

Harry looked over at him in surprise. "I--I was at the office all day."

"Can you have anyone verify this?" Tonks asked him solemnly.

"What?" Harry asked still in shock.

"What difference does it make where Harry was?" Hermione said wiping at her eyes. Comprehension dawned on her as to why Kingsley and Tonks were here. "You can't think Harry had something to do with this!"

"There have been a few witnesses who said they heard loud shouts coming from Arthur's office this afternoon after they saw Harry go in there," Kingsley said. "Harry you'll have to come with us."

"I haven't seen Arthur in a few days," Harry said shaking his head. "I wasn't at the Ministry today, Kingsley..."

"Ginny Weasley said that you went there with her today," Tonks said. "That you...that you went there to tell Arthur about the baby..."

"Baby?" Harry interjected.

"Harry and Ginny aren't having a baby," Hermione snapped. "Tonks!"

"She said that she took you there to tell you both about the pregnancy," Tonks explained. "And that Harry lost it when he found out. And that Arthur was very upset that you weren't going to stand by her..."

Harry wished someone would wake him up. This had to be some sick, sad nightmare. "I've...I've never slept with Ginny, Tonks."

"Until we can prove otherwise," Kingsley was reluctant to say this. "We have to place you under arrest Harry."

*** *** ***

Hermione paced back and forth in the waiting room, hoping someone would show up soon so she could go in to see Harry. He'd been brought in over an hour ago and she was growing antsy with anticipation and angry because she had no idea what was going on. At that moment the door slammed open and Ron appeared.

Ron's eyes were red and she could tell he'd been crying. He looked at her in surprise and her heart went out to him.

"Ron," Hermione said sympathetically. "I'm so sorry..."

"My dad," he said brokenly. "Hermione I just can't believe that he's... that he's..."

"I know," she said giving him a hug. "I couldn't believe it when I heard. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through..."

"Mum hasn't stopped crying," Ron said heavily. "Ginny's beside herself as well because she thinks she could have stopped this from happening."

At the mention of Ginny's name, Hermione pulled away. "You won't believe this, Ron, but they think Harry had something to do with this..."

Ron's jaw set angrily. "He killed my father Hermione."

Hermione shook her head. "Ron, you can't believe that. Harry loved Mr. Weasley like a dad..."

"Everyone saw him go into my dad's office," Ron said sharply. "And then he was found dead."

"I know this looks bad," Hermione said grabbing on to Ron's arm. "But you and I both know Harry wouldn't have, he couldn't have done this, Ron."

Ron pulled his arm away. "Why are you here?" he asked, focusing on her.

Hermione didn't answer right away. Ron was already going through so much; she wasn't so sure how he'd deal with the truth.

"I-I was with Harry when Tonks and Kingsley picked him up," Hermione said quietly.

"WHAT?" Ron asked angrily.

"And I've been trying to get back there to see him, but they just keep putting me off," Hermione said hastily.

"Why would you want to see a murderer?" Ron asked coldly.

Hermione stared at him in disbelief. "Harry didn't kill your father, Ron. I know that you are hurting right now and that you're not thinking too clearly, but you know that deep down he couldn't have done this. He's our friend. He's going to need us."

"Wrong," Ron's eyes were dark and narrowed. "He's not my friend- a friend wouldn't do what he's done."

"He was in his office today, Ronald," Hermione said loyally. "I believe him."

"Bullshit," Ron crossed his arms. "You shouldn't be sticking up for him Hermione."

"Ron, I think we need to..." she started to say, but she saw Remus Lupin striding toward them. "Professor Lupin, how is he?"

Remus didn't bother reminding Hermione that he hadn't been a professor in quite some time. "He's holding up. You're both welcome to see him, if you'd like."

"Yes," Hermione said immediately, heading for the door.

"I'd like to see him too," Ron said angrily.

"Not if you're going to accuse him," Hermione said, her eyes glittering.

"I'm going to kill him," Ron said making a move for the door, but Lupin held him back.

"Go on in, Hermione," Lupin said. "Ron will be out here with me."

"Thank you," Hermione shot a hard look at her ex and headed inside.

Harry was hunched over the table, his head in his hands and he looked up when he heard the door.

"Harry," Hermione rushed over to him. "Harry you didn't do this. You couldn't have!"

She nearly knocked him over with the fierce hug she gave him. "You're about the only one who thinks so," Harry said quietly.

"I'm going to be your lawyer," Hermione said. "I'm going to prove you didn't do this."

Harry shook his head. "You can't, Hermione. You're a prosecutor. I imagine the Ministry would want you to lead their case against me. You're the best they have."

"I am not going up against you Harry," Hermione said firmly. "If I have to, I'll quit."

"I can't ask you to do that," Harry said. "Lupin said he could recommend someone..."

"No," Hermione shook her head. "It's going to be me defending you Harry. Don't argue."

Harry recognised the look on her face and he knew that there was no room to argue even if he wanted to. The truth was he knew that if anyone could get him out of this, it would be her.

He took her hands in his. "This isn't how I imagined out first date to end."

"Me either," she gave him a rueful smile. "And when this is all over, you're going to take me on another date and it'll end much better."

Harry kissed her softly. "Promise?"

"I promise," she ran her hand through his hair. "I know you're innocent and I'm going to prove this to everyone."

"Thank you," he said resting his head on her forehead.

They stayed like that for a few moments. "Harry," Hermione broke the silence. "Ron's outside with Lupin..." she sighed. "He doesn't... think the same way I do."

Harry had expected as much. A part of him could understand why, but he hoped that Ron would eventually come around and know that he wasn't capable of doing something so horrible. "They'll all hate me, I imagine."

"I don't know how he can think you did this Harry," Hermione said, still resting her forehead against his. "He's supposed to be your best friend. And Ginny- telling them that YOU got her pregnant! What on earth is wrong with her?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "I have never been with her, Hermione. You believe that, don't you?"

"Of course I believe you," Hermione said. "Harry I know when you're lying all right?"

"I've never been able to put anything past you," he said smiling at her. "And you're the only one, you know? The only one who has always been here for me..."

"You're my best friend," Hermione said. "And now you're more than that. I'm not about to let you get locked away for something you didn't do."

Harry leaned in to kiss her once more.

Hermione pressed her lips to his, kissing him a bit urgently.

Lupin cleared his throat when he came into the room.

"Sorry to interrupt, but it's time, Harry," Lupin said.

The couple reluctantly broke apart. "I'll be in touch," Hermione vowed. "I'll start to work on this right away."

Harry nodded and watched as she walked out of the room.

"How long has this been going on?" Lupin asked Harry when they were alone.

Harry stared at him. "What?" he asked, rubbing his eyes.

"You and Hermione?" Lupin asked sitting down.

"A few weeks," Harry answered quietly.

"If you ask me, it should have been going on a lot sooner," Lupin commented.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Remus- do you think I did this?" he asked directly.

"Truthfully?" Lupin asked. "No, Harry I don't."

Relief filled the young man's eyes. "Thank you," he said gratefully.

"But I won't lie to you," Lupin said. "There are over twenty people who saw you enter the Ministry with Ginny, Harry."

"But it wasn't me," Harry said. "I was in my office all day going over reports."

"Can anyone vouch for you?" Lupin asked.

"Of course," Harry said. "The captain of the team..." his voice trailed off. "I was alone in the office after about nine this morning."

"I'll send someone over to question him tomorrow morning," Lupin said. "I've pulled some strings so you don't have to be sent directly to Azkaban. They'll hold you here until the trial."

Harry sighed. "Hermione told me Ron was outside."

Lupin nodded. "He's still out there."

"He thinks I did it," Harry stated.

"Aye," Lupin nodded gravely. "But cut him some slack, Harry. He's going through a tough time. His father was just killed and his sister is making these accusations against you."

"False accusations," Harry was suddenly angry.

"We're going to bring her in again tomorrow for questioning," Lupin said.

"I would have never harmed Arthur," Harry said. "I haven't even seen him in a week."

"I'll do everything I can to help get you out of this," Lupin promised.

"Hermione's going to represent me," Harry told him.

"I thought she might," Lupin said with a smile.

"I don't know what I'd do without her," Harry admitted.

Tonks came into the room. "Ron is still asking to see you, Harry."

Harry sighed. "You can let him in."

"Are you sure?" Tonks asked.

"Yeah," Harry rubbed his temples.

Tonks opened the door and motioned for Ron to come inside.

Harry clenched his fists and prepared himself for Ron's almost certain rage.

Ron pushed past Tonks and glared at Harry.

"Ron," Harry began. "I know things between us haven't been that good lately but--"

"Not that good?" Ron asked bitterly. "Not that good?"

"Ron I didn't do this to your father," Harry said, wanting his other best friend to believe him. "Your dad was like my own father."

"He trusted you, Harry!" Ron exploded. "Trusted you and accepted you as one of us!"

"Ron!" Harry said, standing up. "I didn't do it!"

"Ginny is beside herself," Ron said shaking his head. "How could you do this to her? Especially when she's carrying your baby!"

"I've never been with your sister," Harry said. "Not that way. Her baby isn't mine."

"Is that what you said to my dad?" Ron asked his cheeks flushed with anger. "Before you....before you..."

Harry started to get angry again too. "Ron you know I'd never do anything like this!"

"I thought I did!" Ron yelled. "But I swear I'll do everything in my power to make sure you pay for this, Harry."

"Mr. Weasley I must ask for you to restrain yourself," Lupin said quietly.

"I won't do anything to hurt the precious Boy Who Lived," Ron said sarcastically.

"You couldn't hurt me if you tried," Harry spat, his temper flaring.

"Nice suit," Ron said clutching the ends of the table. "You wear that when you took my girlfriend out? You know right after you killed my father!"

"Hermione isn't your girlfriend, and what's going on between us is none of your fucking business," Harry snapped. "And I DIDN'T KILL YOUR FATHER!"

"Come on," Tonks said putting a hand on Ron's shoulder. "You should go, Ron."

Ron shrugged her hand off and glared hatefully at Harry.

"Go," Harry said wearily. "Just get out of here Ron."

"I hope I can be there when the Dementors perform the kiss," Ron said icily before stalking out of the room.

Harry fell back into his chair and ran his hands through his hair. "In his mind I'm completely guilty," he muttered.

"He'll come around," Tonks said encouragingly. "He will, Harry. You've been through a lot together."

Harry shook his head. "I've never seen him look at me like that Tonks."

"Give him some time," Tonks said looking at Lupin who nodded in agreement.

Harry stared at the table, feeling more miserable than he ever had. "I could never murder another human," he said his voice slightly choked. "Voldemort wasn't human so they can't use that against me."

"We know that," Tonks said. "And Remus, I mean, Auror Lupin and I will do whatever we can to help."

"We're married, sweetheart," Lupin said smiling at her. "I think Harry wouldn't mind if you used my proper name in his company."

Harry managed a slight smile at this.

"Right," Tonks said blushing.

"So I really have to stay in lock up..." Harry said- it was more of a statement than a question.

"I'm afraid so," Lupin said standing up. "But at least it's not Azkaban, Harry."

"I guess," Harry said.

"You can meet with your lawyer twice a day," Lupin explained as he and Tonks led Harry out of the interrogation room and down the hall to his cell. "The trial is scheduled to begin in three weeks time."

"Three weeks?" Harry asked. "Why so long?"

"They need to give both sides an opportunity to build their cases and interview witnesses," Tonks explained.

Harry nodded. "I just want to say thank you both for believing me," he said quietly. "It means a lot knowing you both are on my side."

"Of course," Tonks said putting an arm around him. She used her wand to open the cell and she stood back so Harry could go inside.

Harry reluctantly sat on the tiny cot while the door was locked. "We'll come by tomorrow Harry," Lupin told him. "And I'm sure Hermione will be here first thing in the morning."

"Thanks," Harry said forcing a smile. "I'll see you then."

Tonks rested a hand on the bars. "We'll be thinking of you Harry."

"Try and get some sleep," Lupin lectured. "I know it won't be easy..."

Harry snorted. "That goes without saying,"

When he was alone, he sat back on the cot and wondered how in the world he was going to get out of this. It meant a great deal to him that Tonks and Lupin were on his side and that Hermione was going to defend him, but it still hurt that Ron hadn't believed him. The entire Weasley family would probably believe Ginny and hate him for what they thought he'd done to their sister and to their father.