Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Wow- 200 reviews for 3 chapters? You guys are INCREDIBLE! We're so glad you're enjoying this story so far- and R/L and H/Hr fans will especially enjoy this chapter.

As always, thank you for your comments, and we hope you enjoy this chapter. Don't forget to let us know what you think ;)

Real World - Matchbox 20

I wonder what it's like to be a super hero
I wonder where I'd go if I could fly around downtown
From some other planet, I get this funky high on yellow sun
Boy I bet my friends will be...stunned, they're stunned

Straight up, what did you hope to learn about here
If I were someone else, would this all fall apart
Strange, where were you, when we started this gig,
I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me

The next morning, Ron arrived at the Cannons office eager to start his day. For the first time in days, he was ready to practise. He'd taken what Harry and the coach had said to heart and decided to focus his attention on being a better player. If his attitude was truly what was holding him back, he'd work on that. And maybe, just maybe, Hermione would see this too and they could try working their problems out.

In a peace offering, Ron had stopped by Harry's flat with some beer, but his best friend hadn't been at home. It had been pretty late, too, when he'd stopped by so he wondered what or whom had kept him out.

He got his answer though when he walked through reception and saw Harry chatting to the pretty blonde receptionist, Karen.

"And I just wanted to say I'm sorry," Harry said, handing Karen a small but lovely bouquet.

Karen grinned at him. "Harry! Those are beautiful!"

"It's a sort of peace offering," Harry said with an embarrassed grin.

"Hiya, Karen," Ron said grinning like a hyena at her and then Harry. "Harry...."

"Hello, Mr. Weasley," Karen said smiling at him. "Practise isn't until 10, but there is a full breakfast in the anteroom."

"Fantastic," Ron beamed. "Harry- want to join me?"

"Sure," Harry answered surprised at his friend's tone. "I'll catch up with you later, Karen."

"Thanks for the flowers Harry," Karen said happily. "That was very sweet of you, especially after last night."

Ron nudged Harry and said in a low tone, "You sly dog!"

"What?" Harry looked at him.

"Little cheesy, isn't it?" Ron asked as they walked away from Karen. "Flowers.."

"What's wrong with flowers?" Harry replied.

"Nothing, but it is a little bit of a cliché," Ron said with a laugh. "Spend the night with a girl, bring her flowers the next day...."

"But--" Harry started to say.

"You and Karen, eh?" Ron asked. "Well, well, I guess I was wrong when I thought you were hung up on Hermione..."

Harry dropped the files he was carrying at Ron's words. "Shite," he swore, kneeling down to pick them up.

Ron laughed. "Karen's got you all mixed up, does she?"

Harry wondered what Ron would say or do if he knew he'd spent the night on Hermione's sofa with her in his arms.

"I think it's great," Ron said. "Maybe you and Karen and me and Hermione can double date sometime."

"Double date?" Harry choked out.

Ron nodded. "I've been thinking about what you said about my attitude. And I really think that applies to more than Quidditch, don't you? And if Hermione sees how much better I'm doing, she and I can get back together. I'm even thinking of....well, you can't tell her this. You promise?"

"I won't say anything," Harry nodded, still picking up his files.

"I'm thinking of proposing," Ron said leaning against the wall. When he saw Harry look up at him in surprise, he nodded. "I know, I know. I'm crazy...."

"Proposing..." Harry echoed. "Ron..."

"Not right away," Ron reassured him. "I'm going to wait, of course. If I asked her now, she'd slam the door in my face."

"It's not that I'm trying to bring you down mate..." Harry began. "But what makes you think Hermione wants to get back together?"

"She and I have fought before," Ron said. "And we've broken up before, but we've always gotten back together, Harry. And do you know why that is?"

"Why?" Harry asked a bit sarcastically.

"Because we love each other," Ron answered as if this were obvious. He smiled. "Come on, mate. I can smell breakfast from here..."

Harry sighed, wishing he could tell his friend the truth. That morning when they'd woken up, he and Hermione had both agreed to cool things down for the time being and in a few months they'd attempt to tell Ron at that point about their feelings.

"This is one of the benefits right here," Ron said walking into the room where breakfast was being served. He groaned when he saw a familiar blonde coming toward him.

"Hi," Luna said smiling at him. "You said you wanted me to write more about Quidditch, so here I am."

"Hey Luna," Harry greeted her warmly.

"Daddy loved the idea of going behind the scenes and seeing what makes a Quidditch team tick," Luna said thoughtfully. "And everyone knows the Cannons are the best."

"That they are," Harry agreed, clapping Ron on the shoulder.

Ron glowered at him. "I should really get---"

Harry shook his head. "I'm sure Luna would love to talk to one of our rising stars, right Luna?"

"I absolutely would," Luna agreed.

"I'll leave you two to it," Harry said leaving a bewildered Ron standing there alone with Luna.

"I was actually going to get myself something to eat," Ron said hoping to make an escape.

"I'll join you," Luna said, undeterred.

"Great," Ron muttered walking over to the buffet.

"So with Teague resigning, will you continue to be on the reserve team?" Luna asked from his elbow.

"I don't think so," Ron answered. "I'm going to work really hard to prove myself. I might even try working at another position."

"Like what?" Luna pressed.

"Dunno," Ron said helping himself to a large serving of eggs and bacon. "Possibly beater. I'm quite good at that."

Luna put her hand on his bicep and squeezed it.

Ron stared at her. "What are you doing?"

"You would definitely make a good beater," she said. "You have very big arm muscles."

Despite himself, Ron's chest puffed out. "Thanks. I work out quite a bit."

"I can tell," Luna said, her eyes going a bit dreamy.

Ron grinned. "You know athletes have to do that. I mean we make our living with our bodies. And I have to treat my body kind of like a temple." As he said that, he smothered his toast with butter.

"I respect that," Luna smiled at him.

"Do you ever write for fun?" Ron asked.

"I used to," Luna said as they sat down. "I wrote about the pixies and fairies that lived in my garden."

"Ever have any gnomes?" Ron asked.

"Loads," Luna said. "I used to feed them."

"You probably liked them, too?" Ron asked.

"I did," Luna grinned. "Didn't you like your gnomes?"

"I don't really have that much of an opinion on them," Ron said with a shrug. Was he really having a conversation with Luna Lovegood, of all people?

"You should meet the ones that live in my garden then," Luna said. "They'd probably like you. They love eating."

"What...what sorts of things do they eat?" Ron asked interestedly. "Certainly not eggs and bacon and toast?"

"That's their favourite," Luna said, her eyes lighting up.

"For real?" Ron asked with a laugh. "Just like us?"

"They're a lot more like humans than people think," Luna said.

"So when you're not feeding gnomes, what do you do for fun?" Ron asked.

Luna shrugged. "I spend a lot of time with my father."

"You don't have out with your friends?" Ron asked.

Luna cast her eyes downwards and her cheeks flushed a bit. "I really don't have many friends," she said softly.

"You and Ginny...." Ron asked. "At Hogwarts, you hung out with her and Neville Longbottom."

"I don't see your sister anymore," Luna said. "She really keeps to herself now."

"Tell me about it," Ron said. "To tell you the truth, I think it's because of Harry. I don't reckon she's ever gotten over him."

"I beg to differ," Luna looked directly at him. "I don't think she harbours any feelings for him."

"You don't think so?" Ron asked. "Well, maybe that's good. Harry's started seeing someone new. Maybe it won't be so hard on Ginny to see him with another girl."

"You mean he asked Hermione out?" Luna asked before she could stop herself.

Ron stared at her. "Hermione?"

"I'm sorry," Luna stood up abruptly. "It's not my place..."

"Wait---" Ron said grabbing her arm. "Why would you think he'd ask Hermione out?"

"It was just a hunch," Luna replied.

"Well, you're wrong," Ron said firmly. "He's actually dating our receptionist, Karen."

"Well I stand corrected," Luna replied. "We should be talking about Quidditch- it's what I'm here for."

"Yeah," Ron said, dismissing Luna's comment about Hermione. How would she know? It's not as if Harry would confide in Loony Lovegood. "What do you want to know?"

"Why don't you tell me what you do to pep yourself up before you play a game?" Luna suggested.

"That's easy," Ron said. "Well, I'm kind of superstitious so I always make sure I'm wearing red boxer shorts under my uniform."

"Are you wearing red boxers now?" Luna asked, her eyes gleaming.

"No," Ron said blushing. "I'm wearing green ones, actually. It's not a game day...."

"Can I see?" Luna asked.

Ron gulped. "You want to see my boxer shorts?"

Luna grinned at him.

"Let me get this straight," Ron said looking around to make sure no one was listening. "You want me to pull my trousers down so you can see my boxers?"

"Just the waistband," Luna said. "For now."

Ron again scanned the room to make sure no one was looking. He motioned for Luna to lean in. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

"This is very exciting," Luna breathed.

Ron lifted up his shirt and then the waistband of his boxers. "There you go...See? Green...."

Luna ran her index finger over them. "Nice," she said, looking up at him.

Ron stared at her for a few seconds. "You...you're easy to please, you know that?"

Luna laughed. "I don't know whether or not to take that as a compliment."

"Anyone who likes my boxers can't be that bad," Ron joked.

"Maybe some other time you'll show me more of your boxers." Luna said brazenly.

"W-what?" Ron asked.

Luna sat back up straight. "Why don't you tell me more about being a reserve seeker," she changed the subject.

Ron was happy for the change in subject. "Well, it's really quite hard. You never know when you're going to be needed. Some people probably think that you're just sitting there watching the match, but you have to be prepared because at any moment, you could be needed."

"That's a great way of putting it," Luna wrote that down.

"And I get to really study the game too," Ron said thoughtfully.

"There's another perk," Luna said. "I've seen you play and I think you're very good. You've come a long way since we were at school."

Ron beamed at her. "Thanks. You know, you're quite good at this too. I've done loads of interviews and all they want to talk about is Harry. And you've not asked me about him at all."

"I already know Harry," Luna shrugged. "And I want the perspective of a Quidditch player not a team owner."

Ron grinned. "How about I get you some more juice? Or maybe a pastry?"

"That would be lovely," Luna beamed at him. "Thank you Ronald."

"Coming right up," Ron said smiling at her before heading to the table.

Harry stood off to the side watching Ron with Luna. They seemed to be getting along just fine.

Luna caught Harry's eye and grinned at him.

Karen's voice came over the loudspeaker. "Mr. Potter, you have a visitor in reception."

"I wonder who that could be," Harry muttered to himself as he headed out of the anteroom.

He was surprised to see Neville Longbottom standing at Karen's desk chatting to the pretty receptionist.

"Hullo Nev," Harry greeted him.

Neville grinned. "I hope you don't mind. I was in the neighbourhood."

"Not at all," Harry shook his friend's hand. "It's good to see you."

"Want to give me the grand tour?" Neville asked. He'd been away at University studying Herbology and was on the fast track to the professorship at Hogwarts.

"Sure," Harry said. "Ron's in the anteroom right now eating everything in sight."

"Some things never change," Neville said laughing.

"Aye," Harry agreed. "You'll have to stick around for practise."

"I'd love that," Neville said looking around in awe. "This place is amazing."

"It's really come a long way," Harry told him. "And the Cannons are a much, much better team now."

"Thanks in no small part to you," Neville said.

Harry laughed. "I make them work hard."

"Taskmaster, eh?" Neville asked, unable to keep his jaw from dropping as they passed a large window with a view of the pitch.

"Oh yes," Harry said. "And we've got a great coach."

"And having Ron around too must be great," Neville said.

"Yeah I guess," Harry said. "Sometimes he's not so easy to get on with you know?"

"I remember all too well," Neville said quietly. "You guys have a row or something?"

"Not really," Harry said. "Well he blames me for Hermione breaking up with him."

"He and Hermione broke up?" Neville asked. "So what else is new?"

"That's what I said," Harry shook his head. "Neville can I tell you something- you've got to swear to keep this a secret though."

"Okay," Neville asked. "What is it?"

"Well last night I was over at Hermione's," Harry said. "And we... well... we both sort of realised we have feelings for each other."

Neville didn't seem shocked or amazed at this revelation. "About time," he commented.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Well, I always had a feeling that you did," Neville said. "And I certainly knew she did..."

"What, were we the last two to see it?" Harry asked sarcastically.

"I think so," Neville said. "Hermione was the only one who was nice to me for a long time, Harry. She and I used to talk."

"She's a great girl," Harry said. "That's why I don't think Ron is good for her. They don't exactly bring out the best in each other."

"There's an understatement," Neville said dryly.

"Then yesterday he told me the only person he would hate seeing Hermione with is me," Harry finished.

Again, Neville didn't look surprised. "So...what are you going to do then?"

"We talked about it this morning," Harry said. "And we're going to wait a few months before we try and attempt anything."

"Think you can do that?" Neville asked.

Harry shrugged. "We'll see," he said. "What about you Neville- you seeing anyone?"

"I'm engaged actually," Neville said with a grin. "You remember Susan Bones, right?"

"That's great!" Harry said sincerely. "She was a nice girl. Congratulations Neville."

"Thanks," Neville said. "The wedding's in about two months and I was hoping that you'd be my best man."

"Really?" Harry asked. "That would be great Neville."

Neville grinned. "Maybe you could come over to our flat for dinner some night. You and---"

"Yeah," Harry interrupted. "Maybe... we'll have to see how things go."

"I'm sure Ron will be mad at first," Neville said thoughtfully. "But maybe he'll get used to it. I had to when Dean started seeing Ginny. And then he had to when you started seeing her...."

Harry rolled his eyes. "He's never liked when anyone's dating his sister."

"I always thought you and Ginny would get back together," Neville said quietly.

"I did too at first," Harry said. "But once everything was over and done with... we had both just changed so much at that point it was impossible to go back."

"What if Ron never wants to accept you and Hermione?" Neville asked. "What then?"

"I think eventually he might learn to," Harry said. "Perhaps once he finds someone new."

"How long are you prepared to wait?" Neville asked. "The longer you put this off...."

"Hermione and I will figure this out." Harry said firmly.

Neville sighed. He had a feeling that by putting this off, it would make Ron even angrier when he did find out. And if the feelings that Harry and Hermione had for each other were strong, there was no way they could hide them from everyone else.

He was about to say something else when he saw Ron coming out of the anteroom with Luna.

"Luna!" Neville exclaimed grinning at his old friend.

"Hello Neville," Luna said brightly. "I was just interviewing Ronald here. He was showing me his lucky practise boxers."

Ron turned red. "I didn't..."

Harry and Neville smirked at each other. "Lucky boxers aye?"

"It was just the waistband," Ron muttered.

It was clear that Ron's interview had made Luna's day. "Ronald was going to show me the field," she informed Harry and Neville.

"I'd like to see the field too," Neville said. "It would give us all a chance to catch up."

"Aye," Harry said. "Nev's got some big news."

"What?" Ron asked. "You discover some plant again?"

"No," Neville replied as the four of them headed towards the pitch. "I'm engaged."

"To Susan?" Luna asked. When Neville nodded, she squealed and gave him a hug. "That's fantastic!"

"Thanks Luna," Neville laughed. "She had pretty much the same reaction when I gave her the ring."

"I might need some tips from you," Ron asked. "I'm thinking of getting engaged meself."

"Are you now?" Neville asked, casting a glance at Harry.

"Yup," Ron replied leading the way onto the pitch. "I think it's time and Hermione's certainly paid her dues..."

"Paid her dues?" Harry interrupted. "That's a great way to put a relationship Ron," his voice was laden with sarcasm.

Ron turned around and glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Did she not just break up with you a night ago?" Harry asked sharply.

Neville and Luna hung back, not really sure what to say or do.

"And I told you we were going to work that out," Ron said. "She wants space to think about what she really wants and I'm giving that to her. But I'm not going to let the best thing that ever happened to me walk out of my life, Harry."

"So the best thing that's ever happened to you has just paid her dues," Harry snapped. "You make it seem like you're the best thing to ever happen to her when you don't even listen to what she has to say- you're too busy talking about the two of you shagging and trying to get her to work less when she's doing what she loves to do."

"She told you that?" Ron asked angrily.

"She tells me a lot of things," Harry replied coolly.

"Guys," Neville said finally getting between them. "Come on..."

"No," Ron said shaking Neville's hand off his arm. "You know I'm beginning to think that maybe Hermione and I wouldn't have these problems if she didn't go running to you about everything!"

"Then why don't you listen to her once in awhile?" Harry asked furiously. "Instead of pissing her off all the time?"

"I listen just fine!" Ron roared at him. He suddenly rounded on Luna. "You ready to finish our tour or what?"

"I um..." Luna looked at Harry and Neville for a moment. "Sure..."

"Come on then," Ron said grabbing her arm and leading her away.

"That went well," Neville said shaking his head. "You still think this is going to work?"

"I don't know right now," Harry muttered. "He's such a jealous prick."

"I don't envy you on this one," Neville said quietly.

Luna struggled out of Ron's hold on her arm. "That's kind of hurting me, you know?"

"Sorry," Ron snapped. "I thought you wanted to see the bloody pitch."

"I do, but I'd like to make it out of here in one piece," she said quietly. "Don't you think you overreacted a little...?"

"Harry's trying to steal my girlfriend!" Ron glared at her.

"She's not your girlfriend anymore," Luna said gently.

"YES SHE IS!" Ron shouted.

"Ronald," Luna said. "I'm not trying to make you angry. I'm trying to help."

"Well then don't say Hermione's not my girlfriend," Ron snapped. "We might be taking a breather but we'll get back together."

"I should probably get back to the office," Luna said stuffing her notebook back in her bag. "Thank you..."

Ron huffed as Luna turned and walked away. He stomped back towards the locker room and grabbed his broom.

This morning he had felt as if everything was finally going to go right. And now it was as if nothing had changed.

*** *** ***

It took Ginny a long time to get home that night. She took the longest route possible, dreading the moment she was going to tell Draco her news.

She was pregnant.

Ginny had made the healer run through every test, spell, charm and potion possible but it had all come back to one inevitable conclusion. She was expecting, and she and Draco would be parents in seven months time.

Her hands were shaking as she opened the door. Draco poked his head out of the kitchen. "Red, you are in luck tonight. I have made you dinner."

"Oh," she said with a weak smile. "That was nice of you Draco."

"It's the least I can do for you after all you've done for me," he said his back to her as she entered the kitchen. "If it hadn't been for you, I imagine I'd be locked up in Azkaban or dead..."

Ginny didn't resist as he turned and pulled her into his arms, kissing her deeply.

Draco grinned as he pulled away. "That's your preview for later."

"Can't wait," Ginny said softly. "What did you make?"

"Grilled chicken," he said smiling at her. "Your favourite."

"Smells great," Ginny said. "I'm um... I'm just going to get dressed in something else."

Draco gave her one last kiss before turning his attention back to the stove.

Ginny headed for the bedroom and as soon as the door closed she let out a choked sob. How could she have been so lax in making sure her proper conception spell was in place? Pulling on a jumper and a pair of jeans, she threw her red hair back in a ponytail and went back into the kitchen.

"Your stupid brother sent an owl," Draco said as he poured them each a glass of wine. "Don't ask me which one. I can't tell them apart. Which one is it that lives in Romania again? Works with dragons?"

"Charlie," Ginny said quietly. "And don't call him stupid Draco."

"Okay," Draco said handing her a glass. She shook her head. "Come on, Red. It's good."

"No," Ginny said. "I'm not feeling so good tonight."

"What's wrong?" he asked touching her cheek. "You look a little pale."

Ginny bit her lower lip. "Draco..." she whispered. "I have something I have to tell you."

Draco sat down beside her. "Okay. Shoot. What's on your pretty mind?"

Ginny was silent for a few moments. "I don't even know how to say this..."

"You didn't tell your family about us, did you?" Draco asked her with a frown. "I know you like living in this perfect little world, but there's no chance in hell...."

"I'm pregnant," Ginny burst out then slapped her hands over her mouth.

His own words died on his lips. He couldn't have just heard her right. "You---you're what?"

"Pregnant," Ginny said hoarsely, her eyes filled with tears.

Draco was silent as he tried to let this sink in.

"I knew you'd be angry," Ginny stood up, her voice shaking. "Oh Merlin, I shouldn't have said anything..."

"You said you were taking precautions," he said quietly. "You said that you would make sure nothing happened."

"It just takes one time," Ginny crossed her arms and stared at the floor.

"A baby?" Draco asked shakily getting to his feet. "You and me?"

"Sure seems that way," Ginny said turning to stare out the window.

"So what are you going to do?" Draco asked, but as she turned around and glared at him, he quickly back-pedalled. "What are WE going to do then?"

"I don't know," Ginny said. "I just bloody found out. I haven't really had time to think about all this yet Draco."

"Sorry," he said angrily. "This isn't so easy for me, either."

Ginny sat back down and put her head in her hands. "Do you want me to get rid of it?" she asked in a tiny voice.

"I don't know what I want," he said truthfully. "Gin, we're too young to be having a baby. And it's not as if this is the most ideal situation..."

Ginny snorted. "Tell me something I don't know."

"Once your brothers and dad find out about this, I don't reckon it matters what I think," Draco said sitting down with a heavy sigh.

"I don't know what to do," Ginny's eyes filled with tears again and she tried to blink them away.

Draco took her in his arms. "Everything's going to be okay, Ginny."

"Is it?" she sobbed in his shoulder.

"We'll work something out," he said pulling her closer. "I promise."

"So you're not angry with me?" she asked, looking up at him.

He brushed some hair off her face. "I couldn't be angry with you, Red. It's just a shock. A really, really big shock."

"I won't be able to hide this forever," she said. "In a couple months I'm going to be showing."

"You want to tell your parents," Draco said looking down at her. "Don't you?"

"I'm going to have to," Ginny replied.

"You going to tell them who got you that way?" Draco asked her.

"What do you suggest I do?" Ginny asked as he brushed her hair off her forehead.

"Run away with me," Draco said only half-joking. "You know that they're never going to accept this, or us. The only way they'd accept you being pregnant is if Saint Potter did the deed."

"I would never do that with Harry," Ginny said.

"I still can't believe that wanker didn't even try," Draco said not able to resist a dig at Harry. "He was probably too busy trying to think of a way to get into Granger's knickers."

"Could we please focus on us?" Ginny asked.

"Sorry," Draco said. "So...when do you want to tell them?"

"I should tell my father first," Ginny said. "He's the only one who can calm my Mum down."

"If he doesn't have a heart attack first," Draco said hugging Ginny.

"My father loves me," Ginny said. "I think he'll take it hard at first, but get used to it and he'll help us Draco."

Draco didn't think so, but for Ginny's sake, he nodded and gave her a reassuring smile. "Come on then. Let's eat. You are eating for two..."

"We're going to have a baby Draco," Ginny said as he stroked her cheek.

"Aye," Draco said leaning in and giving her a kiss.

"A little of you and a little of me," Ginny couldn't resist being sentimental.

"There's a scary though," Draco teased.

"Not really," Ginny said sitting down as he got their dinner.

"If you think your parents are gong to have a hard time accepting this," Draco said. "I can only imagine what my mum and dad would say. Thankfully, they're both locked away..."

"Everyone just needs to see that you've changed Draco," Ginny insisted. "I've loved every moment we've spent together in this place. I love you."

"I love you too," Draco said setting a plate down before her. "Let's just hope it's enough."

"It will be," Ginny said. "Eventually they'll have to accept you. Even Ron will come around, although he may be the hardest to convince."

Draco frowned. "Weasley as my brother-in-law."

"That's only if you marry me," Ginny pointed out.

"You're having my kid," Draco said. "How could I not marry you?"

Ginny stared at him. "Really?"

"If that's what you want," he said sitting down with his own plate. "I know it's not much of a proposal..."

"Of course it's what I want," Ginny said, happy tears filling her eyes this time.

"So that's a yes?" he asked.

"Yes, it's a yes." Ginny kissed him. "Yes, yes, yes."

Draco laughed. "I'll have to get you a ring."

"A big one," Ginny smiled at him.

"You realise I'll have to go out of the house to do that," he said with a grin.

"I know," she said softly. "We'll get engaged after we tell my father okay?"

"Okay," he said. She made it sound so easy. Did she have any idea how hard this was actually going to be? No matter how much Arthur Weasley loved his daughter, there was no way in hell he'd ever accept Draco Malfoy as a son-in-law. No way.

*** *** ***

Harry knew he and Hermione had agreed to keep their distance, but he couldn't resist going to see her. She'd been on his mind all day and he couldn't stop thinking about how good it had felt to wake up with her in his arms.

She was deeply absorbed in some paperwork for Monday when she heard a knock on her door.

Hermione set her papers aside and walked toward the door.

"Hiya," he said sheepishly when she opened the door.

"Hey," she said. "I didn't expect to see you here..."

"I know," Harry said. "I was on my way home and I just---I wanted to see you."

"You did?" Hermione knew she shouldn't feel pleased but she did. "Why don't you um... come on in." she opened the door wider.

He smiled as he walked inside. "Where's my favourite cat?"

"Crookshanks is around here somewhere," Hermione replied.

He wanted to kiss her, but knew that would be a very bad idea. "How was your day?" he asked.

"Pretty uneventful," she said. "Monday should prove to be a bit more exciting- we start with our witnesses."

"I might have to drop in," Harry said grinning at her. "I love watching you in action."

She blushed at his comment. "Harry..." she said.

He nodded knowing that they were probably treading into dangerous water. "Neville dropped by today. He's engaged to Susan Bones."

"He is?" Hermione smiled. "That's wonderful. I'm so happy for him."

"I told him about you and me," Harry said. "Well, he sort of guessed."

"He guessed?" Hermione gave him a strange look. "Guessed?"

"Maybe not so much as guessed but I'd run into Ron earlier and he made some comments and I---" Harry said his voice trailing off. It wasn't really his place to tell Hermione about Ron's plans to propose.

"And you what?" Hermione narrowed her eyes.

"Sort of told him about you and me," Harry said. "Don't be angry, Hermione. I just needed someone to talk to who was neutral."

"I guess I can't be too angry," Hermione replied. "This is hard Harry."

"I know," he said stepping closer. "Ron and I had another row."

"About what's going on between us?" Hermione asked, leading him into the kitchen.

"Sort of," Harry said evasively.

"Why don't you tell me what you both said?" Hermione gave him a look.

"Do you have any butterbeer?" Harry asked making a move for the icebox.

"I might," Hermione replied. "But not so fast Potter. You tell me what you both said."

"He told me that he wants to---" Harry began. "He wants to marry you."

"WHAT?" Hermione shrieked.

"That was kind of my reaction too," Harry said quietly.

"What on earth is he thinking?" Hermione asked.

"Search me," Harry said with a shrug. "You know just when I think it would be possible for him to accept us, something like this happens."

"I don't want to marry him," Hermione said quietly. "I care about Ron but after these last few days, I've come to realise I'm not in love with him."

"You aren't?" Harry asked.

"No," Hermione answered.

"He thinks you still do," Harry said turning away from her.

"I guess breaking up with him wasn't enough of a hint," Hermione shook her head. "Bother..."

"This is a big fucking mess," Harry said quietly.

"You said it," Hermione snorted with a derisive laugh. "Why do we have to hide, you know? If you and I feel something for each other we should DAMN well be able to show it Harry."

"I keep thinking about this morning," he said softly turning around to look at her.

Hermione bit her lower lip. "I don't want to hide this Harry."

"We've been hiding it for far too long," he said. "Come here..."

Without a word she went over to him. Harry pulled her onto his lap.

"Hermione," he whispered.

"I know," she said softly.

Harry gave her a long, deep kiss.

She tangled her fingers in his messy hair as his arms wrapped around her waist, bringing them together as close as possible. "Merlin I didn't think I could ever want someone this much," Hermione whispered when he tore his mouth from hers for a moment.

"Neither did I," he said standing up with her wrapped around his waist.

"I don't want to stop tonight," she said, gazing at him intently. "I don't care about Ron or Ginny or anyone else."

"Who?" Harry asked grinning at her.

She smiled back before pulling his head to hers for another kiss.

He carried her back to the bedroom without breaking their kiss.

Frantically, they both began to peel each other's clothes off, dropping them unceremoniously onto the floor as they fused their lips together.

"Hermione," he said pulling away to look at her. "You're beautiful."

"You mean that don't you?" she asked softly, running her fingers through his hair.

"Yes," he said kissing her again. "I've thought about being with you like this..."

"I have too," Hermione said breathlessly. "After the first time we kissed..."

"I didn't want to leave that night," he said. "When you ran off, I wanted to go upstairs after you."

"But you had to go fight Voldemort," she answered softly. "I was so terrified Harry."

"You and me both," he said brushing some hair behind her ear. "But I'm here now and so are you."

"Let's stop talking," Hermione said suggestively as his fingers went to unhook her bra. "Just touch me Harry..."

"No more talking," he agreed peeling her bra away.

Outside in the hall, Ron knocked gently on the door. In his other hand, he held a bouquet of pink roses. There was no answer to his knock so he tried once more. Again, no response.

He reached into his pocket for the key Hermione had given him a few months back.

Harry and Hermione were so busy they didn't hear her front door open and close, nor did they hear Ron call out her name.

Crookshanks hissed when he saw Ron.

"Shut up you little devil," Ron said. "You never liked me..."

Crookshanks reached out his claws and sank them into Ron's leg.

"Oww!" Ron said shaking the cat off.

"Did you hear something?" Hermione asked, pulling away for a moment.

Harry shook his head and kissed her again.

Ron reached down and rubbed his leg and glared at the cat. The lights were on in the kitchen and the sitting room so he wondered if perhaps his girlfriend was at home. Maybe, she was taking a bath or was in bed. Either way, he thought, would be a win-win situation for him.

"That time I heard something," Hermione pulled away again. "It sounded like someone in my hallway."

"Hermione?" Ron called out. "It's me, baby."

"Oh my God," Hermione said, her face going pale.

"Shite," Harry whispered. "What do we do?"

"I don't know," she said frantically, jumping from the bed and yanking her undergarments on. "You stay here- I'll go see what he's doing."

Harry nodded and watched as Hermione grabbed her dressing gown.

"Baby?" Ron called out again putting his hand on the door knob. "Why's the door locked?"

"Ron wait just a minute!" Hermione said exasperatedly.

"I have seen you in your pyjamas before," he said leaning against the door. "And in a lot less...."

Hermione cast one last stricken glance at Harry before easing the door open. "I was kipping you know," she said, glaring at her ex.

"Sorry," he apologised smiling at her. "If it makes you feel any better, your demented cat scratched the hell out of my leg."

"Crookshanks is NOT demented," Hermione bristled.

"Your cat hates me," Ron said. "And since I'm so charming and sweet, that makes him demented."

"What are you doing here?" Hermione demanded, slipping out and closing the bedroom door behind her.

"I brought you these," he said handing her the roses. "And I thought we could talk..."

"Talk about what?" Hermione asked. "Ron please- I told you we needed space and--"

"I know you said that, but we belong together," he said. "And I've missed you."

Hermione led him into the kitchen. "Ron," she began quietly. "I care about you. I really do... but I don't think we belong together."

"Hermione, I know we don't have that much in common, but that's what's worked for us in the past," Ron said sitting down. "It's what you liked most about me, remember?"

"At one point in my life sure," Hermione replied. "But I've changed, and so have you. We've grown apart these past few months especially."

"That's because we've been busy," Ron argued. "And we just need to find time and make this work."

Hermione rubbed her eyes. "Ron..." she sighed.

"What?" he asked standing up and walking over to her. "Come on, baby..."

"Don't call me that," she said wearily. "Ron you're not listening to a word I say!"

"I am," he said grinning at her. "Come on, Hermione..."

"NO!" she snapped. "Ron we're not getting back together all right?"

Ron looked at her. "Is there someone else?"

Hermione didn't know how to answer that.

"Silence," Ron muttered shaking his head. "Great. Just fan-bloody-tastic, Hermione."

"You don't own me all right?" Hermione said angrily. "I can do whatever I want with whomever I want."

"Is he here now?" Ron asked making a move for the bedroom.

"Get out," Hermione said coldly.

"No, I think I'd like to meet him," Ron said. "Come on out!"

"There's no one in there," Hermione hissed dangerously.

"Right," Ron said angrily. "You know what? I don't care! You go ahead and have fun with whoever that is!"

"Fine," Hermione crossed her arms. "I will thank you!"

"Don't expect me to be around when you wake up and realise what we had!" Ron hissed before stalking out of the flat.

Hermione slammed the door behind him and huffed as she leaned against the wall.

Harry hesitantly stepped out of the bedroom, he was partially dressed. "That went well," he said dryly.

Hermione shook her head. "I can't believe he thinks we can get back together." she said furiously.

"I think he might have gotten the picture this time," Harry said folding his arms. "I couldn't help hearing..."

"I think my whole bloody building heard," Hermione said dryly.

"He certainly knows how to kill the mood, eh?" Harry asked.

"That goes without saying," Hermione looked at him. "I mean it though Harry. We aren't going to hide this anymore."

"I'm not going to lose you," he said softly. "Not now."

Hermione went over to him and rested her head on his chest. "We'll make this work."

"We'll start this weekend," Harry promised. "I'm going to take you out on a proper date."

Hermione smiled. "Really?"

"The best restaurant in London," he said grinning at her. "And anything else you want, you'll get it."

"I just want you," she said, her voice muffled.

"You're easy to please," he teased. "Because you already have that."

Hermione kissed him. "We're really going to need each other. The media's going to have a field day with this."

"Are you sure you're ready for that?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "I've been friends with you for how long?" she smiled.

"I just don't like the idea of someone else prying into our personal lives," Harry said. "It's no one's business, but ours."

"I agree, but you're famous Harry," Hermione pointed out. "We'll do what we can to keep things between us but it's going to be big. And there will be a few people who will be unhappy about this." she wound her arms around his neck. "But we'll deal with it, we always do."

"So Saturday night," Harry said resting his forehead on hers. "You and me."

"You're taking me out on a date?" she asked, her fingers toying with his hair.

He smiled. "If you don't mind, that is."

Hermione shook her head. "I don't mind."

"Great," Harry said softly. "We'll dress up and go out for dinner and then we'll go back to my place...and I'll make sure the place is completely locked down and there won't be any interruptions from jealous exes..."

Hermione shook her head. "You'd better be ready to woo me Potter," she said. "I'm not easy to impress."

"Don't I know it," he said giving her a kiss. "I'm going to knock your socks off, Granger."

"You're mostly there already," she said, kissing him back.

"You're raising the bar on me, eh?" he asked nipping at her ear. "You're going to make me work really hard, aren't you?"

"Keep doing that," she answered her eyes half closed.

"Five days until Saturday," Harry breathed against her skin. "I'm not so sure I can wait that long..."

"You could stay tonight," Hermione suggested.

"I really want to," he said pressing her against the door and kissing her neck. "But....I....think....we....should...wait."

"We don't have to shag," Hermione said. "I just like having you here."

"Twist my arm," he said grinning at her.