Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Well, we're nearing the end of this story. We told you it wouldn't be as long as the DD-series. You'll have one more chapter after this---the epilogue. We hope you've enjoyed the ride.

What ravages of spirit
conjured this temptuous rage
created you a monster
broken by the rules of love
and fate has lead you through it
you do what you have to do
and fate has led you through it
you do what you have to do ...

And I have the sense to recognize that
I don't know how to let you go
every moment marked
with apparitions of your soul
I'm ever swiftly moving
trying to escape this desire
the yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
the yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
but I have the sense to recognize
that I don't know how
to let you go
I don't know how
to let you go

(Do What You Have to Do, Sarah McLachlan)

"What?" Hermione sat up. "How do they know where we are?"

"Lupin," Harry replied. He was a little hesitant to open the door given everything that had happened, but Luna was with Ron and that was a good sign.

"Just a minute," Hermione pulled her robe around her body and tied it at the waist. "Okay."

Harry unlocked the door and then slowly opened it. He hadn't seen his former best friend in months and it was quite jarring to see him standing here.

"Hi," Ron said quietly.

"Ron," Harry said. "Um... why don't you both come in..."

Luna stepped forward and gave Harry a big hug. "Your hair is brown!"

Harry hugged her back. "Yeah... it's growing out though."

Ron's eyes fell on the unmade bed and then on Hermione. Although he was with Luna now, it was still strange to think of Harry and Hermione as anything more than friends.

"Hello Ron," Hermione spoke over the lump in her throat.

Ron stepped further into the room and closed the door. "Hello, Hermione."

She didn't know what to say to her ex. Harry stepped away from Luna and took her hand in his.

"Do you have to do that?" Ron asked uncomfortably.

"Hold her hand?" Harry asked. "Yes."

Ron saw the ring on Hermione's finger and his eyes grew large. "You...you're married?"

"Not yet," she answered softly.

"Not yet?" Ron asked looking between them. "I-I can't do this..."

"Do what?" Harry asked as Luna put her hand on Ron's arm. "After all this, what bothers you most is me and Hermione being together?"

Ron glared at him. "Well, forgive me if it's a little hard for me to see you with her!"

"Ronald," Luna said softly. "Come on, this isn't why we're here."

"No, let him say what he has to say," Harry said folding his arms. "And then he'll listen to what I have to say."

"And what exactly is that?" Ron asked.

"How could you believe I could do something like this?" Harry asked him. "Hmm? I was your best friend!"

"Come on Harry," Ron said. "At first, it didn't seem as if there was anyone else who could have. Several people said they saw you going into my dad's office."

Harry shook his head. "Bollocks."

"Look," Hermione stood up. "What's done is done. Ron, you said you don't blame Harry anymore. We need to move past all this."

"I'm not so sure we can until we talk about this," Harry said looking at his former friend. "You know me, Ron. You've known me for over 10 years. I love your family and I thought of Arthur as a dad..."

Ron turned to stare out the window for a few moments. "Yeah," he finally said. "You did. And he thought of you as another son."

"And despite all that, you were ready to believe the worst of me," Harry said. "Just like in fourth year..."

Ron knew he deserved this. "Fine, I'm sorry." he said, his tone calmer.

"And I'm sorry that we didn't tell you about us sooner," Harry said taking Hermione's hand.

"Just tell me one thing," Ron said. "And tell me the truth."

"Okay," Harry replied. "What?"

"Were you guys going around behind my back?" Ron asked. "While Hermione and I were still together?"

"Of course not," Hermione replied. "But we...well, we've had these feelings for each other for a long time."

"So you never loved me," Ron said quietly.

Hermione let go of Harry's hand. "Ron--that's not true. I did love you."

"Really?" he asked.

Hermione nodded. "But not in the way that you deserved to be loved."

"Not how Luna loves you," Harry added.

"And Harry and I never wanted to hurt you, Ron," Hermione said softly. "And we didn't get together to spite you. We love each other very much and we're getting married...today, actually."

"You're getting married today?" Ron asked incredulously.

Hermione let out a nervous laugh. "That's the plan."

"We should tell you this first then," Luna interjected softly. "Lupin sent us."

Hermione felt her palms grow sweaty. "What does he have to say?" she asked the blonde.

"We're not going back until both our names are cleared," Harry said putting an arm around Hermione.

"There's a good chance that if you turn yourself in, that your sentence could be restricted to community service," Luna told her friend.

"I don't want her having any of this on her record," Harry shook his head. "We won't go back until we're both cleared. End of story."

"So, you're going to be on the run forever?" Ron asked him. "Come on, Harry..."

"She risked everything for me," Harry looked at Hermione. "Everything. There's no way I'm letting her go back just to be punished."

"There's got to be some way around this," Luna said thoughtfully. "You didn't really do anything wrong except for save an innocent man from going to prison. You shouldn't have to be punished for that."

Harry nodded. "Perhaps if I go back first and tell them--"

"Lupin already shot that idea down," Luna explained gently. "It's common knowledge that she wasn't a hostage."

"Harry maybe I should just turn myself in," Hermione said. "Community service isn't bad..."

"It might be for the best," Luna said. "Lupin's fairly sure that's what your sentence will be."

"But we don't know for sure," Harry interrupted. "And until we know, I'm not going back."

Ron looked at his two friends as if he were seeing them for the first time. They really were in love.

"What's going to happen to Ginny and Malfoy?" Hermione asked.

"Well, Ginny's going to be under house arrest until the baby's born," Ron explained. "And Malfoy's going to rot in Azkaban."

"Good," Harry said grimly. "Malfoy deserves the worst there is."

Ron and Luna told them about what Charlie did to get the confession out of his sister.

"He's still beating himself up about it," Luna said. "But I think he was so brave."

"That's incredible," Hermione's eyes were glossed over with tears. "And it makes me feel sorry for Ginny, surprisingly enough."

"We were with her this morning and she seemed like her old self," Ron said quietly.

"And she seems to be coming to terms with us raising the baby," Luna added.

Hermione's eyes grew big. "What?"

"Luna and I are going to raise her daughter." Ron repeated. "Together."

"Whoa," Harry was all Harry could say.

"Yeah," Ron turned red. "I know it seems odd, but we want to do it."

"I think you'll do a fantastic job," Hermione said to them. "Ginny's daughter is going to be very lucky."

Ron finally managed a smile. "Thanks," he said. He had needed to hear that from someone outside his family.

"You're going to be a father, mate," Harry said smiling at his friend. "That's huge."

"I'm nervous," Ron admitted.

"You're going to do great," Harry assured him.

"I hope so," Ron scuffed his foot along the worn carpet.

"Could you give Harry and I a moment?" Hermione asked. "There's something I wanted to ask him.."

"Sure," Luna took Ron's hand. "We'll just go outside."

Hermione waited until they were alone before asking Harry the question she'd been wanting to ask him since Ron and Luna's arrival. "I think we should ask them to be a part of our wedding. What do you think?" she asked biting her bottom lip. "I know it's going to be a little awkward."

"If you want it," Harry sat back down next to her. "I'm fine with it."

"There's a chance he might not go for it," Hermione said tilting her head toward the door.

"We could ask," Harry replied, leaning in to kiss her.

"The worst he could tell us is no," Hermione said before kissing him back.

"Right," Harry stroked her cheek for a moment before going to open the door again. "We have something to ask you two."

"What?" Luna asked as they came back inside.

"We'd understand if you don't want to," Hermione began. "But we were hoping you two would stick around for our wedding today."

"Us?" Ron asked.

"It wouldn't be the same without you," Harry said sincerely.

Luna smiled. "We'd love to. Wouldn't we, Ronald?"

Ron didn't answer at first. "You really want me there?" he asked.

"We wouldn't ask if we didn't," Hermione said smiling at him. "Please, Ron."

"Okay," Ron conceded. "We'll stay."

Hermione hugged him tightly. "Oh, Ron!"

"Can't believe you're getting married," he said in a gruff voice.

"And you're going to be a father," Hermione said.

"Times have really changed," Ron finally allowed himself to move past any grudge he might carry towards his two best friends. If he admitted it to himself, he knew better than anyone that they deserved to be happy.

"And how," Hermione said giving Luna a hug. "You're going to have to help me find a dress."

"I'd love to," Luna replied.

*** *** ***

Hermione and Luna had gone into the local town and found the brunette a very simple, cream coloured dress for her to wear. After that, they'd stopped at a roadside stand and bought some wildflowers and fashioned them into a bouquet. "You know, you'll be the only one to catch this," Hermione joked. "You'll be next to get married then."

Luna grinned. "Well, if I am, I hope that you'll return the favour and be my matron of honour."

"That's a deal," Hermione replied. "Harry and Ron should be back soon. They were going to find a justice of the peace."

"Are you nervous?" Luna asked.

"Yes," Hermione confessed. "And I really wish we could do this back in England, where we grew up, with our family and all our friends there."

"Your parents have been crazy," Luna told her.

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I rang them once... but I just couldn't bring myself to do it again."

"Did they get along well with Harry before all this happened?" Luna asked conversationally.

Hermione nodded. "I hope they still do. Especially once it gets known that he didn't do anything."

Luna smiled. "Ronald told me he was always a little scared of your parents."

Hermione laughed. "My father can be a bit intimidating sometimes."

"And Ronald can be a bit of a baby when it comes to stuff like that," Luna said softly.

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "You know, Luna... I'm really happy for you and Ron. You're good for him."

"You think so?" Luna asked hopefully.

"Absolutely," Hermione said. "I still care about him and I want him to be happy. You've been there for him throughout all this."

"It hasn't always been easy, but I knew he needed someone," Luna said smiling at Hermione. "And I'm glad I could be there for him and his family."

Hermione gave the other woman a hug. "You've become quite a good friend too," she said.

"You too," Luna said her voice breaking a bit. She used to watch the three of them---Harry, Ron and Hermione---and wonder what it was like to be that close to someone. She could tell from the first time she'd seen them together that there wasn't anything they wouldn't do for each other. And to be a part of that was one of the greatest things in her life.

"Anyone ready to get married?" Harry asked as he came into view with Ron and an older gentleman.

Luna stood up in front of Hermione. "NO!"

"What?" Hermione looked at her, alarmed.

"He can't see you before the wedding, its bad luck," Luna said holding her arms out. "Harry, close your eyes!"

"Luna it's okay," Hermione was relieved. "I'm not one for all those silly traditions."

"Humour me," Luna said not budging from where she stood.

"I have seen her already today," Harry pointed out.

"Minor technicality," Luna said. "Now close those green eyes of yours. NOW!"

Harry exchanged an amused look with Ron. "All right, fine."

"Loony, you're mental," Ron said with a chuckle. "But I am crazy about you just the same."

"Good," Luna said. "Now you boys just turn around until we leave the room."

Ron and Harry did as they were told and Luna led Hermione out of the room.

"So the bride's name is Henrietta?" the justice-of-the-peace asked Harry.

"Hermione," Harry corrected. "Hermione Jane."

"Sorry," the older man replied. "All right..."

Ron grinned. "Just don't call her Hermy....or Hermy-own-ninny...."

Harry jabbed him in the side.

"Sorry," Ron said quickly. "Old habits die hard."

"Are we ready?" Luna called.

"More than ready," Harry called out. "Don't let her back out, Luna."

"Very funny, Harry James," he heard Hermione retort.

There wasn't any music, but Harry didn't really care as he and Ron turned to see Luna walk into the room. She carried a bouquet of wildflowers and her eyes focused on Ron as she made her way toward them.

Ron smiled at her, partly wishing he was in Harry's place right now. Not that he wanted to marry Hermione- not anymore, at least- but that Luna would be becoming his wife.

Hermione took a deep breath before she walked into the room. All her nerves melted away as she saw Harry who was dressed in a pair of khaki trousers and a white dress shirt.

She smiled at him, trembling as she realised this handsome man in front of her was about to become her husband.

"You look beautiful," Harry whispered to her.

"And you look incredible," she whispered back, reaching for his hand.

The justice-of-the-peace smiled at them. "Shall we begin?"

Harry and Hermione both nodded.

"We are here today to join Harry James and Hermione Jane in matrimony," the older man began. "This is an institution that should not be entered into lightly...."

Hermione felt her palm grow a little sweaty and Harry squeezed her fingers and wove them together with his.

"If there is anyone here who knows just cause why they should not be joined in marriage, let them speak now or forever hold their peace," the justice-of-the-peace continued.

"Stop!" a voice called from the back.

Both couples turned around to see two men storming toward them.

"Harry?" Hermione asked weakly.

Without a word, Harry pushed her behind him. "What's this all about?" he asked evenly.

"Hermione Granger, you are under arrest," one of the men said making a move for her.

Hermione's face went a deathly shade of white.

"You're not taking her anywhere," Harry said angrily.

"Stand back, Mr. Potter," the Auror ordered.

"No," Harry said coldly. "I'm not moving."

"Me either," Ron stood next to him. "You can't arrest Hermione. She didn't do anything wrong."

The other Auror took the justice-of-the-peace off to the side.

Hermione clung to Harry.

"We're under orders from the Minister," the Auror replied. "To bring back one Hermione Jane Granger on aiding and abetting."

"But Harry's innocent!" Luna protested. "He's been totally cleared!"

"She hasn't," the Auror said coolly. "She interfered in an investigation. She knowingly broke the law, Miss Lovegood. And thanks to you and Mr. Weasley we were able to find her."

"WHAT?" Harry roared.

"You followed us?" Ron asked angrily. He looked at Harry. "Harry, Luna and I didn't know...I swear."

Harry saw the truth in his friend's eyes. "I believe you," he said still shielding Hermione with his body.

The Auror pointed his wand at Harry. "Stand back, Mr. Potter."

"No," Harry said. "You can't take her."

"Does Remus Lupin know about this?" Luna demanded. "I don't think he would have approved..."

"Remus Lupin has nothing to do with this," the Auror said stonily.

"Kingsley Shacklebolt then?" Luna asked folding her arms.

"Miss Granger," the Auror stared at her. "We WILL forcibly take you in if we have to."

Harry felt the anger swell up as he stared stone-faced at the Auror. The Auror clutched his chest and dropped his wand. Hermione, Ron and Luna looked on in amazement.

"Harry don't," Hermione said in a shaking voice. "They know where we are now. If I go with them we can figure a way out of this."

"She's right, Harry," Luna said as she held Ron's hand. The Auror was now on the floor, writhing in pain. "Harry, stop!"

Harry took a deep breath and tried to relax. It had been a long time since he'd been so angry his wandless magic had taken over.

The other Auror who had seen to the justice-of-the-peace helped his partner to his feet. "Another incident like that and YOU will be going back to jail, Potter."

Harry felt his temper flare back up. "Don't you dare threaten me," he said coldly. "You're not taking Hermione, not today or any day. She did nothing wrong."

"I'll go," Hermione said resignedly.

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed.

She put her hand on his arm. "They know where we are now. I have to go with them now."

"You can't do this," Harry said. "Not because of me."

"Professor Lupin will find some way to get me out of this," Hermione said trying to sound brave. "And you're free. That's all I ever wanted."

"But Hermione--" Harry protested.

She cupped his face in her hands. "Come with me?"

"I'm already there," Harry said as the Aurors moved in. "I'll get you out of this if it's the last thing I do."

"Us too," Luna said stoically.

Harry reluctantly stood back as the Aurors bound Hermione's hands in handcuffs. She winced as the cold steel pressed against her wrists.

"Do you have to take her in like that?" Harry demanded.

"Flight risk," the Auror said icily.

"She's not going to run," Harry's fists were clenched.

"That's what they said about you," the Auror replied with a triumphant grin. Harry made a move toward him, but Ron stepped forward to hold him back. "You're going to make it worse, Harry."

"I'll be all right," Hermione looked at him.

"Where are you taking her?" Luna asked.

"To the Ministry," the Auror said. "Good luck springing her though. She's going to be under top surveillance."

"Why?" Ron asked angrily. "You act like you've captured a Death Eater...all she did was help keep the man she loved out of Azkaban!"

The Auror gave him a nasty smile but said nothing.

The Aurors directed them to a portkey and they all arrived just outside the Ministry to what could only be called extreme chaos. There was a crowd of reporters and people gathered outside and they all descended on the two Aurors and their big catch the moment they'd arrived.

"OW!" Hermione yelped as one of the Aurors pulled her along through the crowd.

Harry appeared at her side. "You had better treat her well," he said in a dark tone.

"Mr. Potter!" one of the reporters asked. "Is it true that you and Miss Granger were hiding out in the States?"

"No comment," Harry replied curtly.

"Miss Granger!" another called out. "Why did you run away with Harry Potter when you knew he was definitely innocent?"

"No comment," Hermione answered.

"Mr. Weasley, how do you feel now that your sister and her boyfriend Draco Malfoy have been indicted for the murder of your father?" another one called out.

"You should realise that without even asking me," Ron retorted.

"What are your names?" a Prophet reporter asked the Aurors.

"Michael Christensen," one of them replied. "C-h-r-i-s-t-e-n-s-e-n."

"Really?" Ron asked. "I thought it was A-r-s-e-h-o-l-e."

Luna hid a smile as she tugged on Ron's hand.

"Minister Scrimgeour will meet us inside," Christensen told Hermione. "After he makes a statement to the press."

"Fine," she answered quietly.

Sure enough, the minister was waiting at the top of the steps, a triumphant look on his face.

"Well, well..." he said in satisfaction.

"Nice little show you have here, Scrimgeour," Harry said coldly. "This has to be the coup of your administration, right? Bringing in one of the most dangerous criminals?"

The minister didn't acknowledge the obvious sarcasm in Harry's voice. "Welcome back, Mr. Potter. I always knew that you were innocent."

"Right," Harry said, sneering.

"Bring Miss Granger inside," the Minister ordered the Aurors. "I'm going to say a few words to the press."

Harry followed them, never more than two steps behind Hermione.

"Your parents were notified and they are waiting in the Minister's office," Christensen told Hermione.

"My parents---" Hermione said taken aback. She didn't want them to see her like this.

"Seems as if they've been missing you," Christensen said with a smirk.

"Can you take those off of her?" Harry asked motioning to the handcuffs.

"I won't run," Hermione said softly. "I promise."

The other Auror seemed to take pity on her and he produced the key from his trousers pocket.

"Thank you," she said, looking over at Harry.

The moment she was free of the handcuffs, Harry pulled her close for a hug. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart."

"It's not your fault Harry," she pressed her face into his shoulder. "I knew this day was coming."

"It is too his fault," Hermione's father said as he and his wife were led into the room.

"Daddy," Hermione looked up.

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" her father asked holding out his arms.

"I'm fine," Hermione didn't move away from Harry.

"We're going to hire the best attorney we can find for you," Robert Granger said folding his arms.

"She'll be out before she knows it," Harry said. "I'll make sure of it."

"Haven't you done enough?" Elinore Granger asked.

"No," Harry said stoically. "I've done nothing compared to what Hermione has sacrificed for me."

"When this is all over, we'll take you on a holiday and we can forget any of this happened," Elinore told her daughter.

"Ellie, she's married him!" Robert exclaimed as he saw the rings on their fingers. "Hermione!"

"Dad," Hermione sat down in a chair. "Harry and I are not married. It was part of our charade."

"This whole damn thing is a charade," Elinore said shaking her head. "I've worried about you every day since you told me who he was, Hermione. And I believed you when you said he'd keep you safe, but not anymore. Not after this. You've been arrested!"

"Because of a decision I made," Hermione refused to let them blame Harry.

"Still as blind as ever where he's concerned," Elinore said shaking her head.

"If you want to blame anyone, blame Draco Malfoy, Dr. Granger," Ron told her. "He was the one who set this all in motion, not Harry."

Robert Granger simply folded his arms and glared at the men.

"This isn't helping anyone," Luna said softly. "We should all be working together to find a way out of this for Hermione."

Ron nodded. "What can I do to help?"

"Perhaps you should go upstairs and see if Lupin will come down here," Luna said thoughtfully. "And Mr. Shacklebolt, too."

"Lupin's going to be pissed," Ron replied, but got up to go get them.

"And Dr. Granger, perhaps it would be a good idea to get that attorney," Luna said. "They're going to want to indict Hermione as soon as possible."

"I want to be my own attorney," Hermione spoke up.

"Hermione," her father cautioned.

"I don't want anyone trying to tell me what to say," Hermione replied.

"I think it's a great idea," Harry said taking her hand.

Hermione smiled tremulously at him.

Luna walked over to the big double doors that led out onto the front steps and sighed. Scrimgeour was definitely eating up his moment in the sun. Apparently, his short statement was going to be a long one. She'd never much cared for this man and his treatment of Hermione's arrest only enforced her opinion.

"He's an idiot," Harry said shortly. "And I thought Fudge was bad."

"Fudge was a saint compared to him," Luna said rolling her eyes. "You'd think he had Voldemort in custody the way he's acting."

Ron came back in, followed by Lupin and Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"How are you both?" Lupin asked as he gave Harry and then Hermione a hug. "I had no idea that the Minister was planning this..."

"We know," Hermione said. "You'd have never done this to us."

"Please tell us there's a way out of this," Elinore demanded of Lupin.

"I'm working on it," Lupin promised. "I'll have her out of here, mark my words."

"I'm going to have a quick word with Lupin," Harry whispered to Hermione. "You aren't going to spend one second in jail, Hermione. Okay?"

Hermione nodded.

Lupin led his old mentor away from the group. "Tell me there's a way around this, Remus. Please."

"I'm not sure yet," Lupin replied. "Even though you've been cleared, Hermione isn't."

Harry sighed. "That's just great. No one knows what to do."

"We will think of something," Lupin told him.

Scrimgeour chose that moment to come back inside the Ministry and he grinned politely at Lupin.

"Kingsley, Remus," the Minister said. "How lovely of you to join us. You're probably wondering why you weren't notified..."

"The thought HAD crossed my mind," Lupin replied coolly.

"You have a personal interest in the case," the Minister explained. "Conflict of interest, truth be told."

"Convenient excuse if you ask me," Lupin folded his arms.

Scrimgeour let out a slight laugh. "Miss Granger, you will be arraigned along with Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley. The Aurors will lead you down to the courtroom. I assume your parents have already made arrangements for an attorney."

"She's going to trial today?" Harry asked incredulously.

"The sooner the better," Scrimgeour replied. "It's not a trial per se, Mr. Potter. She's just going to be arraigned and the judge can set bail if he so chooses, but I wouldn't count on it given the circumstances of this case."

"I'll pay whatever it is," Harry replied instantly.

"Like I said, I wouldn't count on bail, Mr. Potter," Scrimgeour said. "Your girlfriend is a bit of a flight risk."

"SHE'S ALREADY SAID SHE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE!" Harry slammed his fist on the table.

Scrimgeour nearly jumped out of his skin at the look in Harry's eyes.

"Well," he coughed nervously. "We'll see here..." he turned away and walked down the corridor, trying to regain his sense of authority.

Hermione walked over to her fiancé and took his hand. "Please calm down. I know you're angry and scared and so am I, but we need to keep our emotions in check in that courtroom, Harry. Promise me."

"I'll try," he said.

Hermione leaned in and softly kissed him. "I love you so much. And no matter what happens in there, none of this was your fault. It was MY choice and I'd do it all over again."

"If we did it all over again I wouldn't let you do this at all," Harry replied as they all went down towards the courtroom.

Ginny and Draco were already sitting in the courtroom with an attorney provided for them both by the Ministry. Draco was holding Ginny's hand and she was sobbing into his shoulder. They both looked up in surprise when they saw Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna walk into the courtroom.

Harry glared at his old enemy. They were all in this mess because of him.

Ron also clenched his fists and Luna put her hand on his arm to relax him. "Not now," she whispered into his ear.

Ron's brothers and Molly were sitting in the front of the courtroom and Molly started bawling the moment she saw Harry and Hermione.

Fred stood up and walked over to them. "Harry, we're really sorry about...you know..."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I know. Ron already told me."

Fred nodded, for once at a complete loss for words. He walked away and rejoined his family.

Ginny looked at Hermione as she joined them. "Hermione, I'm..."

Hermione looked at her, stone faced. It was hard for her to face this woman after everything they had all been through.

"Sorry?" Hermione asked coldly. "You're sorry? Well, that makes it alright then, I suppose."

"I just..." Ginny wiped her eyes. "I didn't mean for all this to happen. I know things won't be all right ever again."

"I don't have anything to say to you," Hermione said turning away.

Harry sat down next to her. "Whatever the judge says," he told her quietly. "We'll work something out."

Draco snorted.

"Do you have a problem Malfoy?" Harry was out of his chair so fast it almost fell over.

"Sit down, Potter," Draco said rolling his eyes. "Why are you even here? Once again, you're free."

"But thanks to you two, Hermione isn't," Harry said coldly.

"Your little Mudblood---"

Harry's anger nearly erupted over. "You son of a bitch," he snarled as Ron tried to hold him back.

"Harry!" Hermione cried out. "Ignore him!"

"You're going to rot in Azkaban," Harry said. "And you deserve it."

"And your little Mudblood will be right there with me," Draco snarled.

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Harry retorted.

Ginny had been thinking of something that she could possibly do to make up even just a little for what she'd done. The last couple of days she'd thought about her unborn daughter and what she'd think of her biological parents when she found out what they'd done. She wanted to do something to show her daughter that she wasn't that bad.

She squeezed Draco's hand as the judge entered the courtroom.

"All rise," everyone in the courtroom got to their feet.

"Be seated," the judge said as he sat down.

Harry reached for Hermione's hand and gave it a squeeze. It was ironic that they were now in the opposite positions that they were in just a few months ago.

"Draco Malfoy and Ginevra Molly Weasley," the judge said levelling a gaze at them. "Will you please stand?"

Ginny rose to her feet with shaking knees. She reached for Draco and held onto him.

"Draco Malfoy, you have been charged with the murder of Arthur Weasley," the judge said reading from the papers before him. "I understand from your attorney that you have made a full confession. For the record, how do you plead?"

Draco looked defiantly at the judge. "Guilty," he said in a clear voice.

"And Ginevra Molly Weasley," the judge looked at her. "You've been charged with conspiracy to a crime. How do you plead?"

"Guilty," Ginny said in a small voice.

"And Hermione Jane Granger," the judge now faced her. "To the crime of aiding and abetting a criminal, how do you plead?"

"Not guilty," Hermione replied.

"We shall proceed then," the judge looked down at his papers.

"Wait," Ginny interjected. "There's something I'd like to say."

"Yes Miss Weasley?"

Ginny ignored the look that Draco was giving her and she took a deep breath. "Your honour, I did a very bad thing and I realise that. I've ruined my life and I've hurt my family very much."

The judge nodded. "Yes?"

"No one else should suffer because of what I've done, Sir," Ginny said quietly. "I ask that any time you were going to give to Miss Granger, you'd tack on to my sentence. She didn't do anything wrong."

The judge, along with everyone else in the courtroom, raised their eyebrows at this.

"Miss Weasley, you do realise that would add on an additional five years to your sentence?" the judge asked. "Are you positive that this is what you want?"

Ginny nodded. "Yes," she said in a stronger voice.

"Miss Granger, all charges against you are officially dropped," the judge said.

Hermione's jaw fell open. "Your honour--"

"Yes, Miss Granger?" the judge asked.

"I just... that's it?" Hermione asked. "I've never heard of this happening before and..."

"Are you saying you'd like to go to jail?" he asked impatiently.

"Well no..." Hermione said softly.

"Then I suggest you be quiet," the judge said.

"Yes Your Honour," Hermione had never been chastised like that and she folded her hands together.

"Ginevra Weasley," the judge said levelling his gaze at her. "You are hereby sentenced to 15 years in Azkaban Prison. Due to your condition, you will be under house arrest until after your baby's birth."

Ginny nodded. "Yes Your Honour," she agreed.

"And Draco Malfoy," the judge said. "You will serve a life sentence in Azkaban without the possibility of parole."

"Life?" Ginny breathed in horror.

"Life," the judge said again. "To begin immediately."

"Draco," Ginny's eyes filled with tears.

He put his arms around her. "Red, I'm sorry."

"I don't know what I'm going to do without you," Ginny sobbed.

"You'll get out and you'll raise our daughter," Draco told her kissing her forehead. "And if you're a good girl, maybe they'll let you out early."

"But I don't want to do it without you," Ginny clutched onto him. "I love you..."

"I love you too, Red," he whispered in her ear. "You are the best thing in my life."

"Maybe if you're good too, they'll overturn your sentence," she whispered. "And we can be together."

Draco didn't think that was very likely, but he didn't want to hurt her anymore than he already had. "Maybe," he said with a slight smile. "You take care of our little girl, okay?"

"I will, I promise," she wiped her eyes as the Aurors moved in.

Draco gave her a long, lingering kiss.

From his seat, Ron resisted the urge to throttle the man.

"Miss Weasley," the judge said, gavel in hand. "You are to remain under supervision at all times."

"Yes sir," Ginny said still holding onto Draco.

"Court is adjourned," the judge slammed the gavel and motioned for the Aurors to take Draco away.

"Always remember, I love you," Draco said softly to Ginny. "No matter what, Red."

"I'll remember," she said softly, holding onto him as long as she could.

The Aurors forcefully pulled the couple apart and took Draco away. Ginny collapsed back into her chair.

"Ginevra," Molly whispered from behind her.

"Mum," Ginny looked at her mother. "Mum I'm so sorry. I am so, so sorry..."

Molly sat down in Draco's empty seat and hugged her daughter. "It's...its okay, my girl."

"I don't deserve to have you love me," Ginny sobbed.

"You're my daughter," Molly said stoically. "I'll always love you."

"Come on home Ginny," Ron said quietly.

"I'm so sorry," Ginny said to her brothers. "I never meant for this to happen. P-please don't hate me."

"You're our sister," George replied. "We won't hate you Ginny."

Charlie stepped forward and gave his sister a hug. "And that was very selfless of you to do what you did for Hermione. I-I'm proud of you, Gin."

"Thank you Ginny," Hermione was standing with Harry.

"You don't have to thank me," Ginny said shaking her head. "It's the least I could do for what I---well, what I did to the both of you."

Harry wasn't really sure what to say, so he simply nodded.

"Come on, Ginny," Ron said. "Let's get you home."

Luna hugged Hermione. "I'm so happy this worked out for you," she said softly. "You and Harry can have the life you deserve now."

"Thank you for all that you did for us," Hermione said hugging her back.

"I'd do it again in a heartbeat," Luna said. "Now I really want to be a guest at your wedding."

"We'll keep you posted," Hermione said smiling at her.

"Come on," Harry motioned towards her parents.

Elinore walked over and enveloped her daughter in a hug.

"Mum," Hermione closed her eyes. "It's all going to be okay."

"I suppose we owe you an apology," Robert said to Harry.

"You just wanted what was best for Hermione," Harry replied.

"And Harry is what's best for me," Hermione replied. "I love him. We're going to get married."

"And we'd love to have your blessing," Harry said hastily.

"We'd like to get to know you better Harry," Robert offered him his hand.

"Me too," Harry agreed, shaking his hand. "You've got a wonderful daughter, sir."

"Thank you," Robert said. "Hermione's always been our number one concern."

"Mine too," Harry said looking at her.

Hermione watched as the Weasleys and Luna left, and soon only the Grangers and Harry were left in the courtroom. "Think the reporters are still out there?" she asked, rubbing her wrists where the cuffs had cut into her skin.

"Probably," Harry said. "But if we go upstairs to Lupin's office, we can floo home."

"Home," Hermione smiled for the first time since they'd left Louisiana.

"Home," Harry said smiling back at her.

"Why don't you both come over for dinner?" Elinore wiped her eyes. "If not tonight, then perhaps tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow would be better," Hermione said. "We're both knackered."

Elinore let out another sob. "You're home and you're safe." she hugged her daughter tightly.

"I'm sorry that I made you worry," Hermione apologised.

"It doesn't matter anymore," Robert said, also hugging her.

Elinore pulled away and looked at her future son-in-law. Before Harry could blink, she'd engulfed him in a hug, too. "I'm glad you're okay, too."

"Thank you," Harry said in surprise.

"Ellie," Robert laughed. "I imagine they want to be alone."

"Oh... of course," Elinore pulled away.

Hermione blushed. "It's not that, Daddy."

"We imagine you two have things to get settled," Robert said. "So we'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay," Hermione said kissing him on the cheek.

Harry and Hermione watched as they left the room and turned to each other. "Well," Hermione suddenly felt girlishly shy. "We've been waiting for this moment..."

Harry took her hand. "Why are you blushing?"

"I don't know," sudden tears sprang to her eyes. "Harry it's all going to be okay now. We don't have to hide anymore."

Harry pulled her to him. "That's right."

Hermione pressed her face into his chest. "We can be together, go out as ourselves... we can do everything we want to do."

"We might want to give the going out as ourselves a couple of days," Harry said softly. "Let the media circus die down."

"Right," Hermione let out a shaky smile.

"Tonight was supposed to be our wedding night," he said brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I know," she answered softly. "It may not be our wedding night... but we could practise for it."

"Yours or mine," Harry said huskily.

Hermione leaned in and pressed her lips to his.

His arms snaked around her waist as he deepened their kiss.

"Harry," she murmured. "Let's get out of here..."

"Okay," he agreed. "I'm sure Lupin won't mind if we used his fireplace."

"Not after all this," Hermione smiled at him.

"Let's go home then," he said twirling her around.

"I'm going to have to go to Neville's and get Crookshanks," she said as they left the courtroom. "I've missed my cat."

"I'm sure he's missed you too," Harry said. "Did you want to do that first?"

"Would you mind?" she asked.

Harry shook his head. "I don't mind."

"And then the night will be just about us," Hermione's smile grew.

"And we can have a proper lie-in," Harry said as they waited for the lift to take them to Lupin's office.

"And tomorrow begin the life we were always supposed to have," she finished.

"We'll probably never be normal," Harry said winking at her.

"I think I can deal with that," Hermione laughed.