Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Did someone ask for some H/Hr fluff? Because this chapter is full of H/Hr. Hope you enjoy a small break from the drama.

Chapter 14

Tonight's the Night

Stay away from my window
Stay away from my back door too
Disconnect the telephone line
Relax baby and draw that blind

Kick off your shoes and sit right down
Loosen off that pretty French gown
Let me pour you a good long drink
Ooh baby don't you hesitate cause

Tonights the night
It's gonna be alright
Cause I love you girl
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

C'mon angel my hearts on fire
Don't deny your man's desire
You'd be a fool to stop this tide
Spread your wings and let me come inside

(Rod Stewart, "Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)")

In the next few weeks, Harry and Hermione began to grow even more accustomed to their new life in New Orleans. They were enjoying their work at the hotel and spent evenings going over the newspapers and trying to figure out what their next move could be with Luna.

Hermione had just finished checking in some guests when her gaze fell on the desk calendar. "Oh..." she said quietly. "Harry's birthday is today..."

"What was that Laura?" Reese asked.

"Jack's birthday is today," Hermione recovered quickly. "I can't believe I forgot."

"Oh," Reese smiled. "How old is he?"

"Twenty-two today," Hermione replied.

"You two are so young," Reese laughed. "You seem older to me sometimes."

Hermione nodded. If only Reese really knew how much they'd both went through. "We kind of had to grow up fast," Hermione said.

Reese nodded but didn't ask any more questions. "What are you going to do for him?"

Hermione looked thoughtfully at her boss. Normally, she would have the perfect present picked out months in advance. But there hadn't been time---not with everything that had happened. "I don't know..."

"Most guys aren't picky," Reese said in her drawling southern accent. "Jack doesn't seem like the type to make a big deal out of a birthday. Maybe just yours."

"He spent his whole childhood with people who didn't care much about his birthday," Hermione said frowning as she thought of those terrible relatives of Harry's. At the look on Reese and Mary Beth's faces, she wondered if perhaps she'd said too much.

"Sounds like something out of Charles Dickens," Mary Beth said sympathetically.

Reese looked at the clock. "You can take off early today if you want to go look for a gift," she offered.

Hermione smiled. "Thanks, Reese."

"You should take him out for a good meal," Mary Beth commented. "My boyfriend loves getting good food. Well, his idea of a romantic meal is letting me order from the drive thru window."

Hermione laughed. "I'll figure something out for Jack- I want to surprise him though."

Reese looked at the younger woman. Normally, she wouldn't suggest this, but she had taken a shine to the couple. "The restaurant closes at eight tonight. I know you and Jack are trying to save up....I could let you have the restaurant...."

"Reese you'd really do that for us?" Hermione impulsively hugged her.

Reese laughed. "Of course I would. I remember what it was like to be young and starting out..."

"I promise tomorrow morning you won't even know we were there," Hermione promised.

"Okay," Reese said. "You'd better get a move on..."

Hermione nodded. She reached for a piece of paper and scribbled a quick note to Harry. "Mary Beth, could you give this to Jack? If he asks where I am, just tell him I'm off to run an errand..."

Mary Beth grinned. "I'll make sure he doesn't suspect a thing."

"And I'll make sure he dresses up for the event," Reese said an idea suddenly coming to her. "I'll tell him I need his help serving for a special party...tell him, it'd be extra money."

Hermione laughed. "You two are fantastic. Thank you so much."

"Get out of here before I change my mind," Reese said nudging Hermione.

Harry was busy finishing up his duties for the day in the kitchen when Mary Beth approached. "This is from Laura," she said. "And Reese wants to see you before you leave."

"Thanks," Harry said taking the letter. He unfolded it and read Hermione's words.

Jack---

I have to run a few errands for Reese. I probably won't see you until later tonight. Don't worry. I promise that this time I know where I'm going and I won't get lost! Take it easy today and I can't wait to cuddle up next to you tonight. Love, Laura.

"Thanks Mary Beth," he smiled at her. "Tell Reese I'll be in to see her in just a few minutes."

Mary Beth nodded and looked just past Harry. "Stanley? Do you mind if I have a quick word?"

Stanley shared a quizzical look with Harry before walking out of the kitchen with Mary Beth.

Harry wondered what that was all about but shrugged it off and finished cleaning up before heading out to meet Reese.

Reese smiled warmly at him from behind the check-in counter. "Hello, Jack."

"Hi Reese," Harry smiled at her. "How are you?"

"I'm okay," Reese said. "But I was wondering if you might be willing to help me out this evening..."

"Um... sure," Harry nodded. "What did you need?"

"Well," Reese began. "Some very important guests have scheduled a private party in the dining room tonight. It was a last minute thing...and I didn't have enough time to book extra help. Laura's already agreed to help me and I was hoping that you might agree to help serve...."

"Of course," Harry nodded, knowing they could use the extra pay. "I'd be glad to help Reese."

"Tonight at eight," Reese said. "And dress nicely. This is a very classy party..."

"All right," Harry smiled at her. "Thanks Reese. I'll see you tonight."

"Thanks, Jack," Reese said smiling at him.

Harry spent most of that day by the pool, wondering what the errand was that Hermione had to go on. He supposed it had everything to do with the party that evening but he wasn't sure where she would be getting ready.

He arrived back at the hotel a little before eight, wearing a pair of khaki trousers and a white dress shirt. Reese was waiting for him in the lobby. "Is Laura here already?"

"You look very nice Jack," Reese smiled approvingly. "And yes, Laura's in the dining room already. She got ready here."

"Oh," Harry said. "Okay. You sure you don't need any help in the kitchen?"

"We've got that covered," Reese ushered him into the dining room. "Laura will tell you what to do."

Harry had a feeling something more was going on here than met the eye. For one thing, the dining room was usually quite boisterous and loud especially during parties. He couldn't hear anything. Until, he opened the door.

Hermione held her breath as Harry poked his head around. "Surprise," she said in a low voice.

The room was dimly lit and there was soft music playing. At first, he didn't see her. As he stepped further into the room, his breath caught in his throat as he glimpsed the woman he loved most in the world.

"Happy Birthday," Hermione smiled at him.

She wore a pale blue dress that reminded him of the colour robes she'd worn for the Yule Ball their fourth year. Her hair hung loose down her back and she seemed to be glowing as she looked at him.

Birthday...what was she talking about?

"My birthday?" he asked.

"Yes today," Hermione came forward. "I saw it on the calendar and everyone here helped me plot this for you."

"All this?" Harry asked looking around the dining room.

"Well Stanley made us dinner, and Reese and Mary Beth helped me decorate," Hermione stepped closer to him.

"You're amazing," Harry said putting his arms on her waist. "I had no idea ---"

"Hence the surprise," she laughed, her arms going around his neck.

Harry laughed. "You look beautiful, by the way."

"Thank you," Hermione kissed him. "And you look incredibly handsome."

"You like my new look then?" Harry asked referring to his lighter, shorter hair and contact lenses.

"You know I do," she replied. "I like you any way you look."

"This is the best present anyone has ever given me," Harry said touching her cheek.

"I just wanted to give you a night where we don't have to worry about anything," Hermione placed her hand over his. "Where we can just be ourselves again."

"Just you and me," Harry whispered.

He leaned in and kissed her and she pulled him as close as she could. "I love you Harry James," she said in a soft voice.

"I love you too," he said. "So much..."

They kissed again, deeper this time. "I don't really have a present per se," Hermione said when they pulled apart. "I've been organising this all day and--"

"I don't need anything else," he cut her off. "Hermione---all I need is you."

"You've got me," she said. "Forever Harry."

Harry smiled. "I never thought we'd be like this."

"For a long time I hoped we would," she said as they sat down. "And then when you never said anything to me, I went to Ron. And now..."

"And now we're here," Harry said. "I wish I could get a time turner and go back and kick some sense into my younger self. Tell that scrawny 11-year old kid to be nice to the brainy, know-it-all who was going to save his arse time and time again."

"That's right," Hermione teased. "That you should have listened to me all along."

"If I had that would have denied you the opportunity to tell me 'I told you so'," Harry said. "And I know you live for that..."

"Very true," Hermione laughed. "You do know me too well."

"This is kind of how I hoped our first date would be," Harry said smiling at her across the table.

"It was until..." Hermione pressed her lips together. "We're not talking about all that tonight."

"Right," Harry agreed. "Happy things tonight..."

"Like us," she said. "Tonight is all about us... about you Harry."

"And where do we start?" Harry asked her.

"Here," she kissed him again.

"You keep this up and I'll just want to take you back to our room," Harry said smiling at her.

"I certainly won't complain," she said softly.

Someone cleared their throat from behind them and Harry and Hermione both nearly jumped out of their seats.

"Don't mind me, lovebirds..." Stanley said. "I just thought I'd bring out the dinner and then let you two have your privacy..."

"Stanley thanks for doing this," Harry said getting up and shaking the man's hand.

"Glad to help Laura out," Stanley grinned. "Happy Birthday Jack."

Hermione stood up and kissed Stanley on the cheek. "I couldn't have done this without you."

"No problem," Stanley said. "I'll see you two tomorrow."

"This looks wonderful," Hermione sat back down. "He really outdid himself."

The meal that Stanley had prepared for them was something that Harry knew was Stanley's signature dish---Chicken Rochambeau.

"He's the best I've ever seen in a kitchen," Harry said. "I still can't believe he did this for us."

"Everyone here has been so generous," Hermione said softly.

"They really have been," Harry said. "I've hated lying to them."

"Me too," Hermione agreed. "Perhaps when this is all over we can come back and tell them the truth. I really like Reese and Mary Beth."

"We will," Harry promised.

They both tucked into the meal and talked about some of the good times they'd had at Hogwarts. By the end of the meal, they were both in great spirits and enjoying what was a special evening.

"You know," Hermione said as another song came on. "You and I have never danced together..."

Harry nearly choked on his wine. "Hermione, I don't dance."

"Oh come on," Hermione said. "It's not hard."

"Did you see me at the Yule Ball?" Harry asked her. "That was the only time I've ever danced and I think Parvati Patil's toes are still hurting."

"We'll just dance slowly," Hermione wasn't taking no for an answer. "Come on Harry it'll be fun."

"You say that now," Harry said shaking his head. "But you'll be soaking your feet in warm water tonight..."

"I'll risk it," she tugged on his hand.

Harry groaned as he stood up. "I'm no Viktor Krum now..."

Hermione laughed. "I'll live, I promise. No more excuses."

Reluctantly, he followed her out onto the floor. He was glad that they were the only ones in here; otherwise he didn't think he'd be doing this. Hermione looked expectantly at him.

"Honestly, Harry," she said rolling her eyes. "You look as if I've just asked you to run starkers in the Great Hall."

"All right," he said, putting an arm around her waist. "But you're going to have to lead."

"I can do that," she teased.

He laughed. "Somehow, I thought you wouldn't mind."

She placed her arms around his neck and held him close. "This is what I was hoping for all night," Hermione closed her eyes as he rested his forehead against hers. "Just being close with you."

"This is going to go down as my best birthday ever," Harry whispered. Dancing wasn't quite bad actually, he thought. Not if it allowed you to get this close to someone you loved.

"Allow me to make it better once things are back to normal," Hermione said opening her eyes and staring into his. "Although I'm going to do my best tonight to make it one to remember..."

"What else could possibly top this?" Harry asked her with a grin. "Beautiful night with a beautiful girl...I can't imagine it getting any better."

"I can think of one thing," she said, her meaning quite clear.

"Oh you can, can you?" Harry asked, nuzzling her neck.

"Something we've been dying to do since we got together," Hermione replied, tilting her head back. "Something that we've always gotten interrupted while trying to do..."

"Something I've been dying to do since our first kiss," Harry said softly.

"That long?" she whispered. "Really?"

"It was some kiss," Harry said. "Best I'd ever had."

"Still?" Hermione asked with a grin.

"Well, it's had some competition since then, but it's still in the top five," Harry said tickling her side. "And before you ask, Miss Competitive...they've all been with you."

"Those are words I like to hear," Hermione kissed him again. "I know I told you I didn't really get you a present, but I do have another surprise for you."

"What?" Harry asked her.

Hermione removed a box from her bag. "Remember when we first got here and you bought me this ring with your watch?" she asked, handing him the box.

He stared at her in disbelief. "But how did you get it back?"

"I've been putting aside a little bit of my pay each week," Hermione said. "And I was able to afford to buy it back."

Harry shook his head. He hadn't told her that it was a Muggle watch that his mother had bought for his father shortly after they'd started dating. Lupin had given it to him right after he'd defeated Voldemort.

"Thank you," he said smiling at her. "Thank you."

"I knew it was important to you," she said. "You always wore it, even when it was broken. I couldn't believe you used it to buy me a ring but I knew I had to get it back."

"It, um, it was my father's," Harry told her. "My mum bought it for him their first Christmas together. Lupin found it in one of the old trunks at Grimmauld Place. Apparently, Sirius was planning to give it to me when I graduated from Hogwarts..."

"Oh Harry," Hermione said softly. "I'd have never let you sell it in the first place if I had known that."

"I wanted to give you the best," Harry said pulling her close.

"You are the best," Hermione ran her hands through his hair. "I love you so much. I'd do absolutely anything for you."

"You have," he said. He held her close and for the longest time neither of them spoke.

"Let's clean this place up and then go home, eh?" Harry asked giving her a kiss.

"I like the way you think," Hermione smiled at him.

As they cleaned up the dishes and set the tables and chairs back to their right places, Harry wished that he had his wand and they'd be on their way back to their hotel. But working together, they made quick work of the cleanup and before long were walking back hand in hand to their hotel.

"I really love this city," Hermione said. "It's so different than London."

Harry nodded. "I know. I didn't realise you could go days without seeing rain..."

She laughed. "They just have hurricanes here."

"And really spicy food," Harry said.

"I like the spicy food," Hermione giggled.

"I like you," Harry said pulling her close for a kiss.

"I love you," she returned, pressing her lips to his.

They kissed nearly the entire way back to the hotel. Hermione certainly wasn't one who usually behaved like this, but there was something about tonight that just felt right. What they'd both been waiting for, was about to happen. As soon as they made it into the lift, Harry pressed her against the wall, planting kisses on her neck and on her shoulder.

"Mmm please keep doing that," she said her eyes closed.

Harry felt his entire brain turning to mush as she arched her back. Hermione was already working on the buttons of his shirt and he couldn't wait to get her out of that dress.

"We're almost to... the room..." she said between kisses. "Then we can... do everything... we... want..."

"Everything," Harry echoed as the lift finally pinged open on their floor. Harry walked her backwards toward their room, kissing her the entire way. "Key card....back pocket...." he said breaking away from her for a moment.

"Got it," she said, kissing him again.

Hermione used the card and they both nearly tumbled into the room, laughing. Harry helped her steady herself. He remembered the condoms in the bathroom. "I'll be right back...don't...go...anywhere..."

"Just the bed," she said in a lustful tone.

"Right," Harry said smiling at her before hurrying off to the bathroom.

Hermione quickly pulled off her dress and flung it into the corner as she yanked down the coverlet on the bed. "Come on Harry!" she called impatiently.

In the bathroom, Harry opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out the box of condoms. As he closed it back, he glimpsed himself in the mirror. This mirror wouldn't talk back to him, but for some reason a voice in the back of his head asked him what he thought he was doing.

He wanted desperately to make love to Hermione but at the same time, he wanted to do it in a proper way- not while they were hiding out from everyone they knew.

"Harry!" Hermione called out.

He stuck the condoms back into the cabinet and went to the door. "Hermione--" he began.

"Yes," she purred. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Wait--" he said as she leaned in to kiss him again.

"We've waited long enough," Hermione said undoing the rest of his buttons.

"Hermione," Harry put his hands over hers. "I want to talk to you."

"Harry, you don't have to worry," she reassured him. "I've done this before. I'm probably not as experienced as some of the other girls you've been with, but---"

"That's not it," he told her. "I just don't think this is the right time for us to have sex."

Hermione dropped her hands. "What?"

"Just hear me out," Harry said. "It's not that I'm not completely mad about you- I am. I just want to make love to you when we're free to do it as ourselves, not as Jack and Laura Edwards."

"We are ourselves," Hermione argued. "In this room, we are, Harry..."

"I know but..." he sighed.

"Oh," she said quietly. "I see--"

"I just love you too much to do this without courting you properly," Harry tried to explain.

She glanced at him feeling like the biggest fool on the planet. He didn't want her. A few minutes ago in the lift, it had seemed that he had; that he'd felt the same way she did.

He touched her cheek. "When we get back to England and work this all out, I swear that we will be together."

Hermione stood up and wordlessly went over to the dresser and pulled out her pyjamas.

Harry knew she was hurt and he felt terrible. "Hermione please..."

"We should probably get to sleep," Hermione said forcing a smile. "We have an early day tomorrow."

"I don't want to sleep," Harry stared at her. "You're angry with me now."

"I'm not angry," she lied. "I'm tired, Harry. Let's just go to sleep."

"You weren't so tired ten minutes ago," he pointed out.

"You should know how things can change quickly, right?" she asked him coldly.

"Please don't be angry Hermione," he sat down on the bed. "I have my reasons for this."

She looked away. She knew very well what his reasons were and she didn't want to prolong her embarrassment by having to sit here and listen to them.

"Please," he said again. "I don't want to ruin tonight. I hate when you're angry with me."

Tears prickled in her eyes and she kept her back to him not wanting him to see.

"Hermione," he pleaded.

"You don't have to lie," she said in a hushed voice. "If you don't want to---to be with me---you can just tell me and I'll---I'll understand."

"I do," Harry replied. "I want to be with your more than anything. Just not like this though. I want it to be after I've taken you out on the date of your dreams. You deserve all that Hermione."

"We just had a great 'date'," Hermione argued finally turning to look at him. "Harry, we don't know how long we're going to be here. It could be weeks...months..."

Harry knew she had a point. "I mean on a date that I take YOU on," he said, reaching for her hands. "Not one you've plotted for me. I want the night to be all about you."

Hermione felt her resolve weakening. "You mean that?"

He nodded. "I love you," Harry said softly. "You don't deserve a life like this- on the run."

"Neither do you," she said.

"I guess it's the best we have at the time," he hugged her and she rested her head on his shoulder. "We'll muddle through this together."

"We're doing okay so far," she whispered.

"The best we can," Harry said. "So we're all right then?"

"We're all right," she said giving him a kiss.

"Good," he said, his lips pressed to hers. "I've always hated fighting with you."

"I know," she said resting her head on his chest.

"Come on let's go to sleep," he said. "You know Reese, Mary Beth and Stanley are going to want to know all about our night when we go in tomorrow morning."

"And I can tell them how my husband suddenly developed a case of morals," Hermione teased. "And decided he didn't want to sleep with me until after he'd taken me out on a proper date."

Harry poked her side. "That sounds convincing."

"I might embellish a bit," Hermione said laughing.

"Nothing wrong with that," Harry kissed her again. "Thank you Hermione."

"For the watch?" Hermione asked smiling at him. "I'm glad I got it back for you, Harry."

"Well for that," Harry said. "And for the surprise dinner... I would never have remembered my own birthday had it not been for you."

"You're welcome," she said giving him a hug. "Happy Birthday, Harry."