Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This chapter might seem like filler, but there is a bit of action especially at the end. Warning: Cliffie ahead! With that said, please enjoy the chapter!

If tomorrow never comes
I would want just one thing
I would tell it to the stars and the sun
I would write it for the world to see
And it's you
The light changes when you're in the room
Oh it's you
Oh it's you

If tomorrow never comes
I would want just one wish
To kiss your quiet mouth
Trace the steps with my fingertips
And it's you
The light changes when you're in the room

(It's You by Michelle Branch)

Lupin would be arriving to see them that afternoon and both Harry and Hermione were on pins and needles. They started talking about their days at Hogwarts to keep their minds off the impending visit.

"The Yule Ball," Harry said. "I'll never forget it when I saw you with Krum."

"That night started out so well and ended terribly," Hermione said thoughtfully. "It was the first time I think either of you realised I was a female."

"Definitely for Ron," Harry replied.

"Come off it," Hermione said. "You were the same way. Good, old Hermione...just one of the boys..."

Hermione poked his shoulder, hard.

"I always knew you were a girl," Harry said defensively. "It was just really noticeable that night."

"I really wanted to look nice, to sort of prove to everyone that I wasn't some ugly bookworm," Hermione blushed a bit.

"You certainly did," Harry said. "I'll never forget the look on Pansy Parkinson's face when she saw you."

"You looked very handsome too," Hermione recalled.

"I looked like a penguin," Harry said with a laugh.

"Ron looked like a grandmother," Hermione grinned.

Harry laughed. "He hated those robes!"

"They were rather atrocious," she agreed.

Harry leaned back in his chair. "My favourite though was how Viktor pronounced your name. Herm-own-ninny."

Hermione laughed again. "He tried didn't he?"

"What was it the papers called him?" Harry asked. "The Bulgarian Bon-Bon?"

"Something like that," Hermione shook her head.

"You wanted Ron to ask you to the Ball, didn't you?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Hermione laid back and looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully. "I thought because we bickered all the time that meant we should like one another, or did like one another. But we can see how that turned out."

"It was pretty obvious that he fancied you," Harry said quietly. "At least to me. You were a little harder to read."

"I didn't even really know what I was thinking at that point either," Hermione admitted as he stretched out next to her.

"I was too busy trying to get Cho Chang to notice me," Harry said as she nestled up close to him. "That went so well, too."

"I'm just glad that we finally wised up," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

They lay there holding each other and he stroked her back. The only sound came from the rain hitting the roof. Hermione remembered another rainy day where her entire world changed.

It had been over two months since Harry disappeared. She and Ron had gone back to school with Ginny despite their protests that they would never be able to concentrate. Hermione's parents were adamant as were the Weasleys and there had been no other choice.

She and Ron mostly stuck to the common room- things were so different that year without Dumbledore around and now that Harry was gone as well it was hard to keep their interest tuned to anything but what their best friend was up to.

The Halloween feast that night had been a subdued affair to say the least. Ron, who usually pigged out, had barely eaten and Hermione only drank her pumpkin juice. She and Ron went back to the Common Room eager to be away from all of it.

"I hate not knowing what's going on," Hermione said as she sat down beside Ron. "No one is telling us anything. We're the most important people to Harry! We have a right to know!"

"I know," he said bitterly. "It's like some big secret or something."

Hermione rested her head on Ron's shoulder. "I keep thinking that if something had happened, we'd feel it. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah," he answered, putting his arm around her. "I miss him too."

"I don't know what I'd do if I had to go through this by myself," Hermione said as a tear fell down her cheek.

He patted her back a bit awkwardly, unsure of what to say to try and make her feel better.

She hadn't told him about the kiss she'd shared with Harry before he left. For one thing, she wasn't sure how he would react to it and for another; she wasn't sure what to make of it herself.

"Think if we keep bothering McGonagall she'll eventually tell us something?" Ron asked.

"Nobody can pester like you and me," Hermione said wiping at her eyes.

"I'm sure if you kept at her she'd tell you anything," Ron replied. "You being her pet and all."

"I'm not her pet," Hermione said indignantly. "McGonagall is one of the fairest people I've ever known..."

They were still sitting together quietly a few minutes later when Ginny appeared in the portrait hole.

"Any word?" Ginny asked them.

"None," Ron answered. "Where were you?"

"Down at the feast," Ginny said. "I decided to leave once Lavender Brown started discussing your snogging skills."

"I didn't see you there," Ron ignored his sister's jibe.

"You were too busy staring dreamily at Hermione," Ginny teased.

Ron's cheeks reddened. "I was not!"

Hermione also turned red at Ginny's remark. "We were just talking about Harry during dinner," she said hastily.

"About what?" Ginny asked folding her arms and looking right at Hermione. "Good times you had before he left? You know, how he left in the middle of the night without saying anything to anyone?"

Hermione pressed her lips together before she blurted out what had really happened. "He's still our friend," she replied pointedly. "Our BEST friend."

"I know how close you were," Ginny said plopping down in a chair.

Hermione wondered what Ginny's problem was and was about to ask her when Neville came tumbling out of the portrait hole.

"Nev?" Ron asked standing up. "What's wrong?"

Neville stood up and tried to catch his breath. "T-they found....Har-ry!"

Hermione shot up off the sofa and was out the door in an instant, Ron right on her tail. "Where?" she fired at Neville. "How is he? Is he awake? Where did they take him?"

"Hospital wing," Neville replied. "I saw Moody and Lupin carry him inside. He--he didn't look good."

Hermione turned pale as she glanced at Ron. The two of them broke into a run, not caring if they ran into Snape or Filch or anyone else.

Lupin and Moody were pacing just outside the hospital wing. Hermione felt her knees give way when she spotted the blood on Lupin's cloak.

"Professor," she squeaked. "Harry... is he..."

Lupin shook his head. "He's not in good shape though."

Moody, who wasn't known for his tact, put his hands on Hermione's shoulders. "He's on death's door, girl."

Hermione whimpered as her legs buckled underneath her.

Ron put an arm around her to steady her.

"Alastor," Lupin chided him. He looked at Hermione and Ron. "Madam Pomfrey is looking after him now."

"Is he going to make it though?" Hermione asked shrilly. "He has to make it!"

"He'll be okay," Ron tried to reassure her.

"Do you really think so?" Hermione looked at Ron for support.

Ron nodded. "He's going to be up and playing Quidditch before you know it."

"He has to be all right," Hermione reached for Ron's hand and squeezed it. "I'm not leaving here until I find out."

"Neither will I," Ron said determinedly.

Moody excused himself to go and brief McGonagall on what had happened. Lupin continued to pace in front of Hermione and Ron. Ginny who had arrived a few minutes later sat down and started chewing on her fingernails.

"We can't go in yet," Ron told his sister.

Ginny nodded. "When we can, will it be okay if I go in first?"

Hermione wanted to say it most certainly was not okay but when she opened her mouth nothing came out.

Ron smiled. "I'm sure he'd want to see your face first when he wakes up. He really loves you, Ginny."

Ginny sent Hermione a little smirk before returning to her nails.

They waited for what seemed like hours. Ron and Ginny both fell asleep and Lupin left to go and check in with McGonagall and some other members of the Order. Hermione was wide awake and she wanted to see Harry. She disentangled herself from Ron's hold on her arm and gingerly stepped out of the waiting area and into the hospital wing. Her heart was pounding as she walked around the corner and saw one of the beds blocked by a curtain.

Barely holding her breath she approached the curtain and pushed it aside.

He was lying on the bed, his arms bandaged. His face was badly bruised and there were numerous cuts and nicks all over his face and neck. She'd never ever seen his face look so pale. Surely, he wasn't...he couldn't be dead.

"Harry," she whispered as tears filled her eyes. Her fingers trembled as she reached out to touch him.

"What did he do to you?" she asked hoarsely as she took his hand. It was so cold and lifeless.

Harry felt something warm touch his hand and he fought to open his eyes but they felt swollen shut.

She sat down on the edge of the bed and was relieved to see the rise and fall of his chest. He was still alive. "Oh, Harry..."

He wanted to say her name, he wanted to tell her so many things but it seemed nothing on his body would cooperate.

"Lupin said you did it," Hermione said stroking his hand. "You killed him, Harry."

"They said there are already huge celebrations going on in Diagon Alley," Hermione said softly. "And we can hear noise from Hogsmeade as well... you're such a hero. No one will ever forget this Harry."

"Miss Granger!" a shrill voice said from behind her. "How did you get in here?"

"Madam Pomfrey," Hermione jumped away. "I'm sorry I just... I just had to see him."

"He doesn't need to be disturbed," Madam Pomfrey said setting down a tray of potions.

"I wouldn't disturb him," Hermione said. "I swear I won't do anything to bother him."

Madam Pomfrey shook her head, but seemed to take pity on Hermione. "You can stay, but just you. I don't want every Gryffindor in here."

"Thank you Madam Pomfrey," Hermione said in relief. "I promise not to get in your way."

"You can make yourself useful," Madam Pomfrey said. "I was going to clean his cuts."

"I can do that," Hermione took the liquid and a clean rag.

"I'll be right back," Madam Pomfrey said briskly.

Hermione gently pressed the cloth to the cuts on Harry's face and neck.

"You see what you did," Hermione said softly. "Almost got me into trouble with Pomfrey..."

Harry wanted to call out to her but he couldn't. He couldn't even move his hand.

"You're going to be okay," she said determinedly. "I know it in my heart."

She kissed his forehead. "And I will not go anywhere until you wake up. I promise you that."

"You know, I did hear you," Harry said to her. "And I knew it was you there the whole time."

"You did?" Hermione asked smiling at him.

"I know you probably thought I was responding to Ginny," Harry squeezed her hand. "But I couldn't get you out of my head. Especially after that kiss."

"What kiss?" Hermione asked impishly. "This kiss?"

Harry's reply was muffled as Hermione rolled over and pressed her lips to his.

"That one?" Hermione asked breathlessly.

"Actually," Harry pulled her on top of him. "I think it was more like this..." he pulled her head down and kissed her thoroughly.

"Mmmm," Hermione purred. "I think it was just like that."

"Had to be," Harry ran his hands through her hair.

"You know what I love?" Hermione asked him. "That I can kiss you anytime I want."

"Anytime you want," Harry replied. "And the same goes for me. These lips are mine now."

"All yours," Hermione said giving him another kiss.

Harry held her close. "Lupin will be here soon," he said quietly.

"I hope he has good news for us," Hermione said.

"Me too," Harry replied.

"At least Ron is on our side now," Hermione said.

"I still can't believe Arthur's gone," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "I can't imagine what Mrs. Weasley is going through. She loved him so much."

"If she'll see me when I get back I want to do everything I can for her," Harry tightened his arms around her.

"Of course she'll see you," Hermione reassured him. "You're like a son to her and once the truth is out..."

"She's going to need a lot of help once everyone finds out about Ginny and Malfoy."

"And the baby," Hermione said.

"I wonder what's going to happen to the baby if Ginny goes to Azkaban," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I don't know," Hermione said. "Do you think Ron might want to raise the baby?"

"That'd be a huge responsibility," Harry replied.

"It was just a thought," Hermione said. "

"I know," Harry loosened his grip on her and sat up. "But I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Hermione nodded. "Will you go back to running the team when we go back?"

"I have no idea," Harry ran his hands through his still brown hair. "I don't know what's waiting for me back at home aside from being with you."

"I know," she agreed. "It's not as if things will go right back to normal when we go home."

"We're going to face a lot of negative media attention," Harry shrugged. "Guess I'm sort of used to it."

"We just won't read the papers for awhile," Hermione said nudging him.

"Right," he smiled at her.

"I can't wait to see my mum and dad," Hermione said.

"I am worried about one thing," Harry looked at her. "My name may be cleared, but I don't know what they'll do to you."

"Aiding and abetting," Hermione said quietly.

"Yeah," he answered. "I'll do what I can to keep you out of it but I don't know... I just don't know. Maybe Lupin will have some ideas."

"I knew what could happen to me when I decided to do this," Hermione said. "I'd do it all again tomorrow if it meant keeping you out of Azkaban."

He didn't know what to say. What she had done was so selfless. Ever since he had known her she had sacrificed for him.

Hermione smiled at him. "So no matter what happens, I'll face it like a brave Gryffindor."

"Thank you," he said. "I know it's not enough, but thank you."

Hermione gave him a gentle kiss and they were interrupted by a knock on the door. He squeezed Hermione's hand before getting up to answer the door.

"Who is it?" he called cautiously.

"It's Remus," Lupin called out.

Harry peeked through the keyhole. "Tell me something only you would know."

"The day of my wedding to Tonks," Lupin began. "You couldn't stop talking about how beautiful Hermione was and I guessed that you fancied her and had for quite some time."

Harry turned red. "It's him..."

"You did?" Hermione asked beaming at him.

"Yeah," he said with an embarrassed grin as he unlocked the door.

Remus looked apologetically at Harry as he came into the room. "It was the first thing I thought of, Harry."

"It's all right," Harry replied, looking at his former professor. Before he could say anything else, Remus had hugged him tightly.

"What's this about?" Harry asked.

"I was worried about you," Remus said. "Both of you."

"We're okay," Hermione stood up. "Really."

Remus smiled. "I know this hasn't been easy on either of you, but hopefully it will all be over soon."

"Any news?" Harry asked.

"Before I came here, Ron and Luna brought over some journals they found of Ginny's." Remus sat down.

"What did they say?" Hermione asked.

He told them about how the journals detailed how Ginny had found Malfoy in the forest and had basically nursed him back to health.

"They've been living together since she graduated," Remus continued. "He convinced her to get Arthur to set up the flat for her."

Harry was so angry his hands were shaking. "Damn it!" he cursed, getting up to pace the room.

"Ron had pretty much the same reaction," Remus said quietly. "And Molly..."

"She knows?" Hermione gasped.

"She knows," Lupin confirmed grimly. "She's not taking it well at all."

"Do the others know, too?" Hermione asked.

"That I don't know," Remus motioned for Harry to sit down. "It's up to Ron."

"How is he?" Hermione asked, as Harry finally sat down beside her.

"He's angry," Remus said directly. "But at least he's no longer targeting that at you."

Harry nodded. "There is something I wanted to ask you. If my name is cleared, what happens to Hermione? Could she still face charges for helping me?"

Lupin nodded. "She was instrument in helping you get away."

"There has to be something we can do," Harry said. "She's not going to prison."

"I'm not quite sure what we can do about this yet," Lupin stood up.

Harry shook his head. "We went through all of this to keep me out of prison. I'll be damned if she's going to end up there because of this."

"Harry," Hermione put her hand on his. "I can handle what comes my way."

"We'll do whatever we can to find a way around this," Lupin promised. "But you do need to be prepared."

"She's not going to Azkaban," Harry vowed.

'We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Hermione said.

"I guess," Harry replied.

They went over some more details from the journal and some small talk about how Tonks was doing. Before long, it was time for Lupin to say goodbye.

"I'll stop by again a couple of days from now," he promised.

"What do we do while we're here?" Harry asked. "Remus--"

"Stay out of trouble and out of sight," Lupin answered. "That's an order. I know you're not one to follow those, but trust me on this one...it's for the best."

"We will," Hermione spoke for both her and Harry.

When they were along again, Harry shook his head. "I can follow orders. What did he mean by that?"

"You do have a tendency to do what you want despite what people say," Hermione replied.

"Not all the time," Harry said defensively.

"Most of the time," Hermione said. "You have to admit that."

"That might be one of the reasons I didn't become an Auror," Harry admitted sheepishly.

"Could be," she nudged him.

"It's too bad since I have that 'saving people thing',' Harry said rolling his eyes at her.

She laughed. "I said that didn't I?"

"You did," Harry said. "And I was so mad..."

"That made you mad?" Hermione asked.

"Very," He said.

"I'm sorry," she said, moving closer to him.

"It really hurt my feelings," Harry said looking down at the carpet.

"It hurt your feelings?" she asked sceptically.

Harry nodded. "I don't think I ever really got over it. Even now, I can't talk about it without getting choked...up....I might need a moment...."

"You goof," she hit his shoulder.

Harry wiped at his eyes. "It did!"

"I had no idea you were this sensitive," Hermione played along.

"Not many people do," he said in a dramatic voice.

"I like to think I know everything about you," Hermione pushed him down on the bed.

"What are you doing?" he asked her.

"For some reason I can't keep my hands off you." Hermione replied.

"You might have a 'thing'," he teased. "But I'm not complaining."

"I have a Harry thing," she replied huskily.

Harry grinned. "Do you now?"

"Mmmhmm..." Hermione answered.

"I do think I've been a bad influence on you," he said pulling her close.

"But I'm not complaining," she said before he kissed her.

*** *** ***

The next two weeks found Ron and Luna at the Burrow every chance they had. Although Ron would like nothing more than to stay far away from his sister, he knew that it was imperative that they keep an eye on Ginny. So far, she hadn't slipped up and Ron and Luna were at their wit's end.

Thankfully, Molly was out of town visiting their Aunt Tessie. The stress of the situation was definitely getting to her and Ron couldn't risk his mother doing anything to clue Ginny in to what was going on.

At the moment, Ron and Luna were watching Ginny as she took a walk on the grounds.

"I bet Malfoy's under an Invisibility Cloak," Ron grumbled to Luna. "I bet he's walking beside her right now."

"He might be," Luna agreed softly. "What did Lupin say our next move should be?"

Ron sighed. "Watch and watch some more."

"This waiting seems excessive," Luna tucked her hair behind her ear. "I mean, she's all but confessed and none of us are doing anything about it."

"The only good thing that's come from watching her has been being with you," Ron said offering Luna a slight smile.

She smiled back and squeezed his hand. "I'd be here anyway."

"Maybe if we get her talking about Harry again," Ron said thoughtfully.

"That might work," Luna said pensively. "But she also might get suspicious if you start talking about him too much. You're supposed to hate him, remember?"

"Right," Ron said with a sigh. He stepped away from the window and leaned against the counter.

Luna leaned against him, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Lupin's going to make everything work out, Ron."

"How can you be so optimistic?" Ron asked her.

"It's just how I am." Luna brushed his hair off his forehead.

Ron leaned in and gave her a lingering kiss. "I love you, Luna. You're the only thing keeping me sane right now."

"Loony makes people sane," she grinned at him.

Ron chuckled. "That's a strange way to put it, but it's very, very true."

Luna kissed him again and they were snogging rather heatedly when Charlie's amused voice broke them apart.

"This is a new development," he smiled at his younger brother.

Luna grinned. "New to you, but a long time coming for me."

Charlie nodded. "I brought by some magazines for Mum and some photos from Romania that she wanted."

Ron and Luna exchanged a look. "Mum's not here, Charlie. She's at Aunt Tessie's."

"Oh," Charlie was surprised. "Well that's good to hear. She needed to get out of here."

Ron nodded. "I thought you wouldn't be back for awhile, Charlie."

"I had a few days off," Charlie replied.

Ron normally would be quite happy to see his brother, but having him here might not be for the best. "Well, thanks for bringing those photos and magazines by. I'll make sure Mum gets them..."

Ron grabbed Charlie by the arm and led him toward the fireplace.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to get rid of me," Charlie said shrugging out of Ron's hold on him.

"Very funny," Ron laughed uproariously. "Good one Charlie!"

Charlie folded his arms. "Okay, you mind telling me what the hell is going on here?"

"Charlie!" Ginny crowed from the door. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"Hi, Gin," Charlie said giving his sister a hug. "You're getting big!"

"Don't rub it in," Ginny moaned. "I can't believe how fat I am."

"You're glowing," Charlie corrected with a grin. "Isn't that what they say you're supposed to tell pregnant women? At least that's what Bill tells Fleur all the time."

"Phlegm," Ginny rolled her eyes.

Ron glared at his sister. "Will you please lay off of her?"

"Aren't you touchy," Ginny tossed him a dirty look. "What's your deal lately Ron?"

"You want to know what my deal is, Ginny?" Ron rounded on her. "Do you really want to know---"

Luna put a hand on his arm. "He's...he just heard that the Canons are going to trade him to Wimbourne," she told Ginny hastily. "You know how much he hates that team."

"So what?" Ginny said. "You're still going to be playing." she waved her hand. "I'm going to go lie down in my old room for awhile."

"Get some rest, Ginny," Charlie said to his sister.

Ron's fist clenched as his sister sauntered out of the room.

"Spill it Ron," Charlie's face had lost all traces of amusement. "What the hell's going on here?"

"Why don't we all go back in the kitchen?" Luna asked. "So we can have our privacy."

Charlie followed his brother in and sat down. "Don't beat around the bush," he said. "Tell me."

Luna cast a silencing charm on the room and she nodded encouragingly at Ron.

"I know who murdered Dad," Ron said quietly.