Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 11 - The Grangers Invade America

A week after Harry had arrived back in America found the McGonagall family at O'Hare yet again. This time they were meeting the Granger family. At Hermione's insistence, flooed to America instead of flying in a muggle airplane.

The twelve-year-old girl with bushy brown hair and buck teeth walked in front of her parents looking excitedly around the crowded airport until she finally saw, "Harry!" and ran up to him.

"Hi, Hermione! It's good to see you! Welcome to America!" Smiling ear to ear, Harry waved his right hand in front of him to show the terminal as though giving a grand tour of his country. "What do you think?"

Mr. Granger, who was pushing a cart full of luggage, came up behind his daughter and answered, "It's a beautiful airport, I'm sure, but I think we'd all like to see a bit more of America before we decide what we think. I understand that we should be able to see the Sears Tower on the way."

"Absolutely!" said Mark. That's one landmark that's hard to miss."

"Are you sure we're not imposing on you," asked Mrs. Granger. "We could still check into a motel."

"Nonsense, Marissa," replied Cindy. "We have plenty of room as long as Brianna doubles up with Hermione. It's no problem at all."

"We could always have Harry sleep in a cupboard," said Brianna with a smirk. "That way Hermione could have his room."

"Shut up!" said Harry playfully. "Maybe you should stay with one of your friends for the next two weeks. It would save Hermione from your snoring."

"I don't snore! Anyway, I'm gonna use these two weeks to tell Hermione embarrassing stories about Harry every night." Hermione giggled at that prospect.

"You'd better not," said Harry, "because I have plenty of stories about you that I could tell Bobby."

"Don't you dare…"

"I think it's time we started back home," said Mark, temporarily shutting up his kids.

They made their way to the brand new van that the McGonagalls had rented for the next few weeks. They knew their car couldn't fit eight people (Minerva, Mark, Cindy, Harry, Brianna, Adam, Marissa, and Hermione) in it, so it made sense to get a bigger vehicle. Since Mark or Cindy would be doing all the driving, it was in their names, but the Grangers insisted on paying for it.

-

Minerva had stayed behind in her nephew's five-bedroom house watching television. She disliked riding in Chicago traffic and figured that she'd be doing enough of that when they were actually sight-seeing, not going to and from the same airport she'd been to several times. She was heavily involved with a soap opera when the door opened and a stampede began.

Brianna was carrying several bags from Burger King while everyone else was carrying some of the Grangers' luggage.

"Brianna, sort through the bags of food while the rest of us put these suitcases in the correct rooms," said Mark.

"Yes, Daddy."

-

Hermione had brought two suitcases along with her school trunk. She was going to carry the two suitcases and ask Harry to carry the trunk up the stairs. The Boy-Who-Lived looked at her like she was nuts.

"Are you a witch or not? We're in America, now." He pointed his wand at her trunk. "Wingardium Leviosa."

"Sorry, I'd forgotten," his friend murmured as she pulled her wand out of her pocket. Five minutes later, they were back in the kitchen.

-

After they'd eaten, Marissa Granger asked something that had been on her mind ever since they agreed to come to America.

"I understand that in America, there's no age restriction on magic."

"That's correct," said Mark with a grin. "And let me tell you it's come in handy having two magical kids to do chores.

"We, that is Adam and I, would like to see some of what Hermione's been taught at Hogwarts."

Harry smiled. "We've been planning on that. Come into the living room for our magic show."

He then levitated Adam Granger's chair a few inches off the ground and moved it out of the kitchen while Hermione did the same with her mother. Both appeared nervous at first, but the ride was smooth and they were set down near the sofa as the McGonagall's walked into the living room.

"That was interesting," commented Adam.

"We were taught that spell in charms the week of Halloween," said Hermione.

"Now we'll transfigure you into algae."

"Harry!" said Minerva sternly before looking at the victims. "They haven't been taught to do anything of that nature, I assure you. Human transfiguration is a N.E.W.T. level subject."

"I was only joking."

Harry and Hermione then proceeded to demonstrate several of the spells they'd learned at Hogwarts that year, as well as the incredibly useful summoning charm, and then had Brianna show what she'd been learning at her magic school that hadn't been part of the demonstration (such as the pencil-sharpening spell). Harry was amused at how amazed the Grangers were at even simple spells like shooting sparks. However, what really astounded Hermione's parents was the 'grand finale,' where Minerva changed into a cat and jumped into Marissa Granger's lap.

"That was wonderful!" exclaimed the adult Grangers together as they clapped their hands, "all of you." The three magical kids bowed as the cat jumped onto the floor and retransformed.

Adam looked happily at his daughter. "No wonder you've gotten such good grades, honey. We couldn't be prouder."

At that moment, both Harry and Hermione noticed Aunt Minnie gesturing between them and their parents. Harry suddenly felt nervous and cleared his throat.

"Hermione, um, and I are at the top of our year, and, um…"

His best friend, seeing Harry's ears turn pink, took over. "Webenaskdskpgrd."

"What was that?" asked Cindy.

Harry took a deep breath. "We've been asked if we want to skip a grade."

The four parents' eyes bulged out for a moment until they smiled at the kids. Brianna looked expressionless. Mark spoke first.

"Well, congratulations. Um, that's quite an honer."

"It is indeed," inserted Minerva, "It is a rare privilege. However, there are downsides to the proposition."

"Like leaving your friends behind," said Marissa, "Although you'd still have each other at least."

Cindy looked slightly concerned. "Have you two decided whether you want to skip a grade or not?"

Both Harry and Hermione looked at the carpet as they shifted their feet nervously. "Er," said Hermione, "we've naturally discussed the situation, as well as other consequences. For example, if we do this, we'll never be able to become head students."

"I'm afraid that is correct," said Minerva. "The Head Boy and Head Girl both have to be seventeen - adults under wizarding law - at the start of their final year, but they would only be sixteen, and therefore ineligible."

"We'd also be behind in our studies and trying to catch up," added Harry. "We're currently used to working ahead."

"It sounds like you don't really want to do it," said Adam Granger.

"Er, well, um…" said Hermione eloquently.

Harry cleared his throat again. "I believe you're right, sir. Mom, Dad, I hope you're not disappointed."

Cindy bent down to hug her son. "Of course not, darling. You know we'll support your decision."

"That goes for us, too, Hermione," declared Marissa.

"I can't believe you don't want to skip a year at school!"

"Brianna!" scolded her mother.

"Sis," said Harry, "would you really want to leave all your friends behind and go to class with kids that spent the last year learning things you'll have to learn in just a few weeks?"

She frowned. "I don't know."

"You wouldn't have class with Bobby, anymore," he added.

"Shut up!" she yelled, blushing.

-

The next day, they all went to New Salem. Hermione was completely in awe as she looked around. "This isn't anything like Diagon Alley," she declared as she watched a well dressed elf walk out of the Magical McDonalds eating an ice cream cone. She followed him with her eyes to a store called Joggy's Jewelry.

"That was the owner of the magical jewelry store," said Mark before turning to his aunt. "That's where I got your brooch from a few years ago, Aunt Minnie. He's a very likable fellow, but drives a hard bargain."

She looked astonished. "That was made by a house elf?"

"Actually, over here they're just called elves." While they were talking, a goblin walked into the jewelry store.

"What's a goblin doing…"

"I'd imagine he's buying jewelry," said Cindy. "I'm surprised you haven't noticed the diversity here before, Aunt Minnie."

"I admit I've seen them walking freely around this town before, but never realized that some of them owned businesses. I…"

"You thought the elves were running errands for their masters and the goblins were strictly on Gringotts business?"

"Well, yes," Minerva admitted as her ears turned pink.

"I guess it would be a cultural shock," said Cindy.

"I just don't understand how European wizarding society is so prejudiced," said Hermione. "Their muggle society isn't."

"I'm afraid that may be part of the real reason why many influential families are against allowing muggleborn wizards and witches into our society," said Minerva. "Without exception, they all realize that some of our laws are barbaric by muggle standards."

-

They walked around to different shops, showing the Grangers such places as Wand Locker, which only had a few customers that day, along with any other interesting shops that were nearby. After having lunch at Magical McDonalds (where Harry found he was good at catching Flying Fries that tried leaving the table and said he was warming up for Quidditch), the group headed for Frank's Flying Funhouse to meet with some of Harry's friends (and one of Brianna's) for a game of Quidditch. Both Harry and Brianna's brooms were shrunk and in Cindy's purse. They excitedly walked into the building.

"Hi, Harry! What's up?" said a voice he would recognize anywhere. Harry turned to see his buddy Luke standing nearby with Melissa and Paul. He grinned broadly as he walked up to greet his friends from Wentworth Witchcraft Elementary School with Hermione walking slightly behind him. He heard a giggling girl calling out his sister's name while he greeted his former classmates.

"Hi, guys! It's good to see you!" He motioned for Hermione to walk up to him. "This is my very good friend from Jolly Old England - Hermione Granger."

"So," said Melissa with an evil grin, "Brianna says you're Harry's girlfriend."

She blushed scarlet and looked at the ground while Harry answered. "I already told you guys we're just great friends. You can't believe everything that little troublemaker says. You should know that by now."

-

While they were catching up and getting to know Hermione, Adam was renting a broom for his daughter. Cindy was getting her kids' broom cases to their proper sizes (just touching the appropriate place on the case and saying the words - it doesn't require magic from the person doing it). Brianna was talking to her friend that was there as well.

Once everyone was registered and had a broom, they warmed up for a few minutes until they were able to put together a game. Harry was Seeker. Brianna, Hermione, and Melissa were Chasers. The Beaters were Luke and Brianna's best friend - a girl named Terri. Paul was the Keeper. They played against another group of friends who happened to be there.

Hermione was the first one to get the Quaffle as the game began and flew quickly toward the hoops until the ball was stolen by a boy on the other team. She got mad and turned around to get the Quaffle back when she saw a Bludger (send from Terri) ram into the boy's right arm, causing him to drop the ball. She quickly dove for it, catching it, and turned back around.

This time, instead of flying straight for the hoops, she glided to the left and right until the same boy got close to her again. She yelled out, "Brianna!" as she tossed the ball to Harry's little sister, who caught it and accelerated her Silver Bullet. Hermione thought it would be a good idea to get as close to the hoops as possible in case Brianna needed to pass her the Quaffle.

Hermione ended up floating around near the three hoops, never staying close to a particular one as she kept one eye on Brianna. She noticed a Bludger heading straight for Harry's little sister and called out her name. The younger girl turned her head, saw the projectile coming at her, tossed the Quaffle, and got hit in the gut.

Hermione caught the red ball that had been thrown at her and looked at the hoops to see the Keeper was at the left hoop and coming. Without thinking about it, Hermione shot the Quaffle through the right hoop, winning the first point. Grinning ear to ear, she turned to see that Brianna was still on her broom, but appeared a bit winded.

-

The game went on, and the other team managed to score a few goals before Brianna and then Melissa both scored within five minutes of each other. It was an action packed game that kept a close score. A half hour into it, Harry got tired of the other Seeker marking him, so he dove toward the magically softened ground fast with his Lightning Bolt, the other Seeker close behind him. As Harry pulled up, he heard a crash that meant the other Seeker hadn't, and went back to searching for the golden Snitch.

-

When they'd been playing for about an hour, he finally spotted the glint of gold. The score was one hundred to ninety in favor of the other team. The problem was that the Snitch was closer to his opponent. He decided to scare the other Seeker. He faced the boy and shouted, "I'm tired of you following me around!" and started flying straight at him. The other boy panicked and dove down to escape. Harry altered his course straight into the Snitch and grabbed it out of the air.

He was raising the Snitch into the air in triumph when he heard a voice beneath him shout, "That was no fair! You cheated!"

He grinned at the loser. "All I did was yell. You should have been paying attention to the game instead of me."

-

The next day, the group visited muggle Chicago. They went to the Sears Tower, where Brianna was able to get in cheaper than anyone else because of her age. As they went up the elevator toward the top floor, both Mark McGonagall and Marissa Granger got a bit queasy. Professor McGonagall was amazed that muggles had managed to build such a tall structure.

They walked into the area where you can look down at all of Chicago as well as Lake Michigan from. When looking down from there, cars looked like tiny little toys as they zoomed along the play streets.

"I thought they were supposed to look like ants, not Hotwheels," commented Harry as he gazed downward. "What!"

At that moment, his mom had put her hand on his shoulder and he felt himself move forward a bit as he stiffened. Even though there was no way to accidentally fall off the building, he still felt a knot in his stomach form as he felt himself move.

Hermione's dad chuckled. "I thought based off of yesterday that you are not afraid of heights."

"That's when I'm on a broom, dad. If I fell from here, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from…becoming one with the sidewalk."

Hermione, who felt a bit uneasy herself, said, "That is indeed a valid point," as she walked a bit away from the edge. We are over a thousand feet in the air. This building is one thousand three hundred fifty-three feet high, and we're almost at the top. Completed in early 1973, Sears Tower is an attractive and contemporary 110-story trophy office tower consisting of steel columns and beams in a "mega-module" system. The building contains…" Harry had a hard time stopping himself from chuckling as he realized that Hermione must have read every book she could find on Chicago the previous week.

After they left that landmark (not before Hermione made them explore a bookstore inside it), they stopped off at a restaurant and got some Chicago style pizza. After that, they went to the Museum of Science and Industry, which had a special Star Trek exhibit that Brianna wanted to see.

She was a big fan of The Next Generation and told them about the latest season cliffhanger - Some sort of time-travel episode where they'd found Data's head in a cave or something. It somehow involved Mark Twain. Her description was a bit confusing to Harry. "I can't believe you made us come here. Now everyone's gonna think I'm a Star Trek nut like you!"

"It would ruin your reputation as a complete idiot with no taste," agreed Brianna.

When they were on a replica of the Next Generation Enterprise bridge, Hermione, who was a bit familiar with the series, commented, "Star Trek features muggles using technology to do things we do with magic. For example, where they use a transporter, we apparate. Where they use a replicator, we can conjure things. Where they use a phaser to stun, we use our wands to stupefy."

"I wonder if we have anything like the holodecks," said Brianna with a smirk.

Hermione's brow furrowed. "Possibly, but I've never read about it."

By the time they'd finished there, it was time to head back to the McGonagall house.

-

The next morning, Brianna excitedly got everybody up early. It was the day of the much-anticipated baseball game at Wrigley Field. Brianna was a huge Cubs fan and was confident that they would absolutely demolish the evil St. Louis Cardinals. She looked forward to seeing the look in Harry's face as the Cubs took their first step towards what she knew was an inevitable World Series Championship. Harry on the other hand had a completely different ideal of this game.

"Hermione, you must understand, the Cubs are pure evil!" he animatedly shouted. "One of my friends here in the States told me that they were Lord Voldemort's favorite sports team. They were finally cursed by the Wizengamot because Voldemort was using his powers to help them win games. That's why they are so lousy, because of the curse!" Harry proudly stated, acting as if his opposition to the Cubs was a righteous calling that was as important as life itself.

"I don't know if You-Know-Who really had any time to worry about baseball while he was busy fighting a war in England." Hermione explained. "But I will take your word that the Cardinals are the better of the two teams."

Harry quickly cut her off after this stating, "Hermione, the Cubs are evil. We MUST oppose them just like we opposed Professor Quirrell or like we must oppose Snape. Evil MUST BE OPPOSED!!!" Harry proudly shouted.

"Yes, and that's why we must root for anyone but the White Sox!" Brianna shouted out of nowhere.

"Yes, here comes the supporter of the evil ones," Harry warned. "Don't worry their foul schemes will fail…."

"Come on Harry, Hermione and Brianna! If you don't leave now we won't make the opening pitch," Mark calmly stated. Harry held in his disgust at seeing his family all dressed in the color's of the enemy. Only he and Hermione were not in league with evil today.

"Is Bobby ready?" asked Brianna as they piled into the van.

"Yes, I just called him. We'll pick him up on the way," answered Cindy.

"What?" exclaimed Harry. "We're taking Brianna's boyfriend."

"He is NOT my boyfriend! We're just good friends."

An evil look came on Harry's face. "This should be fun."

"Don't you DARE do anything to Bobby!" shouted Harry's sister angrily.

"Or what?" Harry asked arrogantly. "I can…"

"Or you'll be grounded for the rest of the summer!" interrupted Cindy. "Do I have to confiscate your wands?"

"No, mom," said Harry softly while Brianna stuck out her tongue.

Soon the van was parked in front of a house that Harry had never been to and his dad honked the horn. A ten-year-old boy wearing a Cubs baseball hat ran out the door and into the van, finding that the only available seat was next to Harry. Hermione was on his other side and Brianna was sitting behind Harry with the other adults.

Bobby saw the gleam in Harry's eye and nervously sat next to him. "Hello, Bobby. It's so good to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you."

"Um, Brianna's talked about you, too. Is that Hermione?"

"Yes, that's my friend, Hermione. I'd like to know why you're wearing that emblem of evil on your head."

It took the boy a few seconds to realize what Harry meant. He quickly took the hat off. "Um, it was a gift from Brianna."

"I see," said Harry, fighting the urge to set the hat on fire with his wand. "So, what do you and Brianna study together?"

"And what do you study with Hermione?" asked Brianna from behind him. She turned to her friend. "Don't answer any questions he asks you. It's none of his business. And by the way, everyone in this car besides Harry and Hermione are supporting the Cubs, so you can wear the hat, and our mom will kill Harry if he does anything to you."

Bobby looked between the two siblings, trying to decide which one to fear the most. He came to the only solution he could think of. He put his hat back on, faced forward, and kept his mouth shut while Harry glared at his sister.

-

After an hour in the van the group arrived at Wrigley Field. The two families, along with Brianna's guest Bobby, sat right behind the Cubs dugout. As the group reached their seats with all the candy, popcorn and soda they could carry, Harry spotted a lone Cardinal warming up in the outfield. The name on his back said Lightfellow, and Harry was impressed with how he was hitting the ball. It seemed like the ball automatically went straight towards his bat every time. The game soon started and the Cardinal lineup went down one, two, three in the first.

In the bottom of the first Mark Grace, Brianna's favorite Cubbie, came to the plate. On the first pitch he hit a shot deep to left field. Lightfellow, the outfielder that Harry had been so impressed with, went back to catch the ball but there was no way he could catch it. Harry turned his head in disgust at the fact that the Cubs were about to take the lead.

All of a sudden he heard the umpire shout, "OUT!!!!" Harry jumped to his feet shocked. He looked as the replay showed the ball suddenly drop like a boulder straight towards Lightfellow who made a leaping grab at the wall. It looked like Lightfellow moved his right hand and spoke a few words before the ball started dropping. Harry thought to himself, could that guy be a wizard? It sure looks like he used a summoning charm on the ball, not that I'm going to say anything about it. The Cubs are getting what they deserve. Harry sat back with a huge mischievous grin on his face as the Cardinals came up to bat.

Brianna grabbed Harry's arm and said: "That man is a wizard. He used a summoning charm to catch the ball. I'm going to tell Aunt Minnie so that she can do something about it."

"You are just imagining things." Harry replied. Obviously Grace didn't hit the ball as hard as we thought he did. It's not Lightfellow's fault if the Cubbies stink." Harry smugly stated. Brianna gave him a dirty look and turned back to the field.

There were two outs and the PA announcer called the crowd's attention to Jeremy Lightfellow who was making his Major League debut. On the first pitch Lightfellow hit a ball that looked like it was going way outside. Harry noticed that it turned inside after the hitter spoke a few more words and began to move his bat. He made perfect contact and the ball cleared the scoreboard in centerfield. The Cardinals were now ahead one to nothing. Harry jumped up and down. He grabbed an unsuspecting Hermione and gave her a huge hug.

Hermione tried to act like she was just as excited as Harry, while trying to keep from having her ribs crushed by her overly excited friend. Was it just her imagination or did Brianna lose her balance and fall into her. Hermione turned around as Brianna said: "Sorry, I tripped on Harry's big foot." She sat back in her seat with a fiendish smirk on her face.

Harry mockingly walked over to Brianna and sarcastically tried to comfort her. "Don't worry Brianna, I am sure that the Cardinals will show mercy and only beat the Cubs by twenty or thirty runs."

Brianna said nothing and then asked her mother if she could go to the restroom. Harry didn't see her for the next few innings and assumed she was upset from what was going on in the game. St. Louis now lead 10 - 0 after a few more big hits from Lightfellow and more spectacular catches. Finally in the bottom of the ninth the Cubs were down to their final out. Harry was going to get his wish. One more out and the Cubs would get skunked by their hated rivals. Only one batter, some skinny infielder who probably hadn't hit a homerun since little league, was left.

Brianna was around to see the game, but she had other intentions. She knew that Lightfellow, the St. Louis superhero, MUST be a wizard. He had to be using summoning charms. She knew that she had to oppose this evil in the most effective way possible. Unfortunately for her, her mother made her leave her wand at home. Mother always suspected that Brianna might be a little irrational during a Cubs game. Luckily Brianna managed to procure Hermione Granger's wand when she "accidentally" bumped into her in the stands.

It took a while for Brianna to find a location where she could use summoning charms without alerting all of the muggle spectators or getting pelted by incoming baseballs. She scouted out the bleachers and found that she could hide behind the seats. Most of the fans were intoxicated or obsessed with booing the hated Cardinals. None of them were paying any attention to the back row. She would change her location every attempt so that she could throw off Lightfellow and the bleachers provided her with the room she needed to do just that. With the Cubbies down ten to zip in the 9th inning, she knew now was the time. She watched the pitch and waited to hear the sound of the bat making contact. As soon as she heard that sound she whispered, "Accio baseball" and the ball landed in the glove of a very surprised Cubs fan. According to the announcer, the guy just hit his first ever homerun!

Harry laughed off the homerun as a fluke. After all, the guy who just hit the ball was due to hit a homerun eventually. Next up was a pinch hitter for the pitcher. This guy isn't very good either. Harry laughed as the first two pitches resulted in easy strikes. The third and fourth pitches were however very odd. They seemed to leave the pitcher's hand with the proper trajectory but took a sharp left turn and hit the backstop at such a velocity that it knocked some of the ivy off the walls. The next pitch was way over the heads of the hitter and umpire. Harry quickly started to complain to Minerva. "Aunt Minnie, someone is using magic to help the Cubs!"

"Calm down Harry," said the excited witch, "your team is still up by nine runs. If someone were here to cheat, wouldn't they have started in the first inning?" As Minerva finished her sentence the next pitch bounced its way to home plate resulting in a walk.

The first pitch to the next batter hit him in the back resulting in another automatic base. Brianna hadn't wanted to do that. She looked and noticed that Lightfellow was moving his arms and chanting some incantation. She needed to do something. As she summoned the next ball after it had been hit, she realized that Lightfellow had done his own summoning and the ball was now heading straight to his glove.

Brianna cast another summoning charm that took the ball into the stand at the last second and also caused Lightfellow to drop his glove. Brianna saw this as her opportunity and whispered "Accio Wand." The wand hit the wall and dropped to the ground. It was so small that no one would even notice it unless they knew what to look for. Harry gasped when he saw the tiny piece of wood hit the dirt.

"Are you ok Harry?" Hermione asked.

"I'm ok, that last gulp of pop went down the wrong tube." Harry hoped that she was fooled as he couldn't have anyone realize that his favorite player, the warrior of righteousness, the Cub Slayer Jeremy Lightfellow is a wizard. He would no longer be able to defeat the evil plans of the Cubs if he was barred from playing the game. Harry noticed Mark and Minerva looking curiously at what they thought was a piece of wood near centerfield. Harry immediately forced himself to start coughing loudly to distract them. He must keep the truth hidden at all costs.

Brianna summoned the next pitch to left-center field for another homerun to make it 10 to 5 in favor of the Cardinals. She noticed Lightfellow stopping to grab his wand while everyone else was admiring the homerun from Brianna's favorite Cub, Mark Grace. She quickly ran all the way to left field. The first time contact was made Brianna summoned the ball and ducked behind a chair to keep from getting hit by it.

Jeremy Lightfellow ran as fast as he could as soon as he heard contact. He knew that it would go to left field because he spotted the little girl running that way. She had been at each location that the summoning charms had been cast. She was proving to be quite bright, but she was no match for the Lord of the Lightfellow order of Wizards. Jeremy knew that he had to tap into one of his many creations in order to stop the Cubs from winning this game.

He whispered an incantation and the ball slowed down and started to drop. It would stay in the field. He chanted the summoning charm and then felt a huge collision. After a moment of darkness he opened his eyes to see a very angry teammate. "I said I've got it and I meant it too you stupid rookie!" shouted the veteran outfielder who was sporting a nice shade of red across the whole right side of his face. "After this game rook, we're going to show you what happens to rookies who don't know their place."

Lightfellow knew what that meant. He was going to be ostracized within the clubhouse. Fortunately, he didn't care. The next ball was hit straight towards the veteran. This would be out three. As the ball dropped into his glove Jeremy Lightfellow decided that he could make the veteran face the wrath of his teammates. Jeremy whispered "Stoneganos." The ball hit the outfielder's glove with the force of a large stone falling out of his hand and injuring him in the process.

The veteran was jeered by the Cardinal fans who made the trip and was replaced by another rookie. In the midst of the sweet revenge, it occurred to Jeremy that he had lost track of the little witch. As he came to that realization, a towering blast cleared the center field wall to make the score 10 to 7. The race was on. Lightfellow was running towards right field even before the pitch was thrown.

Brianna started moving right, ducked underneath some chairs and then took off back to the left. The Cub hit a high pop fly to right field. Lightfellow prepared to make the final catch. Brianna threw all caution to the wind and used a summoning charm. The ball just stopped and dropped. The summoning charm interfered with whatever spell Lightfellow had just used. He attempted to make a diving catch and just barely missed.

The same player who hit the first home run to start the rally now came to the plate. The pitcher, unnerved after seeing run after run score, could not seem to locate the strike zone throwing balls on four of five pitches. The Cardinal manager brought in his closer. On the first two pitches fastballs whizzed past the hitter for strikes. On the third pitch, a perfect fastball, the bat made slight contact. Brianna quickly summoned the ball and it bounced through the infield rolling all the way out to left field. One more run scored making the score 10 to 8 with the winning run aboard.

The bizarre actions of the ball clearly sapped the closer's confidence. The next pitch was a fat one and was rocketed deep to center field. Both Brianna and Lightfellow ran towards center field. As they reached the wall both cast summoning charms. Lightfellow had leaped into the air to make the game-saving catch. The ball missed his glove by a few inches just clearing the fence.

"CUBS WIN!" "CUBS WIN!" shouted the PA announcer. Harry hung his head in shame. The impossible had happened. The Cubs had won. Harry glanced at the scoreboard and realized that his beloved White Sox had lost today as well. Surely it was a day of great evil. Harry thought to himself that the soul of Voldemort had to be rejoicing at this very moment. Looking for a friendly face to cheer him up he turned towards Hermione and realized that she was gone.

Hermione had grown bored of seeing the Cardinals batter the Cubs and decided to skip the bottom of the ninth and check out some of the attractions in the ball park. She tried her luck at a pitching game and found herself to have pretty good aim although her velocity left a lot to be desired. She heard a lot of cheering going on in the ballpark and she figured that the fans were being good sports and congratulating the Cardinals. After all, the Cubs were down 10 to nothing and had shown absolutely nothing to make anyone think they could even score one run let alone eleven.

She then decided to get herself an ice cream cone and get back to the group. As she left to meet up with Harry, she spotted Brianna, who seemed very happy. "It's good to see that you aren't depressed about your team losing." Hermione said enthusiastically.

Brianna shouted, "Didn't you see the bottom of the ninth Hermione? The Cubs won, eleven to ten! I have to get back to gloat in Harry's face." With that she ran off brushing past Hermione on the way. It felt like she bumped into Hermione's wand. After a quick check Hermione noticed that the wand was still in her pocket and in good condition.

As she continued back towards her seat she was stopped by an individual in what appeared to be a cheap blue business suit. "Hermione Granger," the man bellowed in a very deep voice. "You have been caught illegally using magic at a muggle sporting event. You will show me to your parents."

Hermione Granger was terrified. Who was this man and what did he want? She led him to her parents and he introduced himself. "I am Waldo Laughman, an agent of the American Ministry of Magic." When he noticed their looks of concern, he added, "No don't worry about the statute of secrecy, I have charms cast that will cause passersby to think we are talking about the ball game. The only ones who will hear this conversation will be those in your party." The Grangers cringed at the sight of this wizard holding Hermione's arm like she was a prisoner.

Minerva spoke up on their behalf: "Why have you taken Ms. Granger into custody! She was only enjoying a Football game!"

"It's baseball." Mark whispered.

Mr. Laughman then replied to Minerva in a stern and emotionless voice. "Young Ms. Granger is not a prisoner, but under American wizarding laws the parents are responsible for the criminal actions of their children, In this case using magic to affect the outcome of a muggle sporting event."

Everyone was shocked as the American wizard showed them the last few spells cast on Hermione's wand. Everyone except for Harry and Brianna. While the agent explained that the Grangers would have to pay a one thousand dollar fine Harry shouted, "It's not fair! Brianna stole Hermione's wand and cast all the spells!"

The agent turned to Harry, "Son, I know you want to protect your girlfriend, but your story doesn't have any proof."

Harry shouted at him, "Why not give Brianna some Veritaserum to find out the truth you big oath!"

"HARRY MCGONAGALL!!!" shouted both his parents and Aunt Minnie in unison.

"You will apologize to this man and your sister at once and you will be grounded for the rest of the week young man!" Mark angrily explained.

Harry replied, "I will apologize to Mr. Laughman, but I WILL NOT apologize to Brianna because she is lying and Hermione is innocent!"

Mr. Laughman tired of the long argument and departed. Apparently, the incident was not important enough to do any obliviating.

Bobby asked Brianna, "Why is everyone so upset that the Cubs won? I thought everyone but Harry was a Cubs fan."

Brianna, realizing that Mr. Laughman's charm must have affected Bobby stated that "We are all upset because Harry can't be a good loser."

Hermione angrily protested. "Leave Harry alone you lying…."

"Stop it, both of you!" interrupted Minerva. "We are leaving, and I must say that I am very disappointed in you Ms. Granger." The adults along with Brianna and Bobby left for the van. A disheveled Hermione Granger stood still trying to keep from crying.

Harry put his right arm around her shoulder and told her. "Don't worry Hermione. I will get enough revenge for the both of us. She will learn to never mess with my best friend!" After that they headed back for what was to be a long ride home.

-

Over the next week, the group minus Harry managed to visit several other points of interest, including Navy Pier and Shed Aquarium. Harry was stuck at home plotting his revenge against Brianna for when they got back to England. Hermione was giving Brianna the cold shoulder, and wasn't getting much sleep in the room they shared. Fortunately, Harry was allowed to go to his favorite place to visit the last few days before the Grangers' vacation ended.

After spending about five minutes in a traffic jam, Mark drove the van through the gate and paid the parking fee. "That would've taken a lot longer if it were a weekend," he commented as he navigated his way through the huge parking lot and eventually found a space. "Everybody remember where we parked."

"Leave any valuables in the van," added Cindy as the group piled out of the vehicle. Harry, Hermione, and Brianna were instantly bombarded with images of Bugs Bunny and Friends as they followed the adults toward the line at the entrance to Six Flags Great America.

When they got into the park, Cindy said, "I know that Harry and Brianna know their way around here better than I do, but I want us all to stick together."

"Can't some of you go off with Brianna?" complained Harry. "She's too short to go on half the rides I like."

"Am not!"

"You were last year!"

"But I've grown! I think I'm tall enough!"

"You won't be tall enough to get on that new Batman ride!" countered Harry.

"Will too!"

"We'll find out when we get there," said Cindy. "Now stop bickering! I know you're still mad at your sister but this has to stop!" She turned to Hermione. "Harry tends to only go on the really fast, dangerous…"

"They're not dangerous!" interrupted Harry. "They're designed by really smart people and are a lot safer than driving a car. They just make you feel like you're in danger."

"Fine, Harry likes the fast rides, but if you like other, less thrilling rides, there are still plenty of rides you can go on."

"I think I'd like to do both. Maybe I'll even get Harry to go on a few slow rides."

"I think I'll go with you on the fast rides," declared Adam Granger.

"I won't," said Marissa.

They immediately started exploring the park, soon deciding that they should split up into two groups when Brianna was rejected from riding the Shockwave. Cindy put a stop to Harry's gloating before it began. Brianna was upset that she was just one inch too short for the best rides, but walked off with the others, determined to enjoy herself anyway. Mark, Brianna, and Minerva McGonagall, along with Marissa Granger consisted of the less adventurous group, riding slower rides (starting with a carousel) and watching shows that were going on that day.

-

Harry's group (Hermione and Adam Granger, and Cindy McGonagall) entered the main line for Batman the Ride after they'd ridden the Shockwave. They looked at the totaled police car that was displayed near the entrance as they waited.

"Why does there have to be such a long line?" complained Harry.

"Because a lot of people want to try out Great America's latest attraction," answered Hermione.

"And it would be a lot longer if this were a Saturday," added Cindy.

"I know, mom. I just hate waiting."

"I'm sorry we couldn't rent the whole park for you," she answered sarcastically.

"I wonder if I changed the money in my vault to…"

"Don't even think about it, young man! That money is NOT to be squandered away for one day of fun!"

Harry grinned at his mom. "Who said anything about one day? I might get the place to myself for a week."

"Harry, you can't!" said Hermione, causing her best friend to start laughing.

"Do you really think I'd do that, Hermione? I'd be better off to buy one of these rides, or better yet, hire someone to make a magical equivalent." He said the last part in a whisper.

Hermione looked thoughtful for a moment. "Maybe one day we could make one. Perhaps as a N.E.W.T. level Charms project."

Harry chuckled. "I'll bet Flitwick would like that. You should've seen those commercials from when Shockwave first came out. This guy was sitting on a regular chair that suddenly started acting like a roller coaster. When the ride was over it looked like he'd aged sixty years. If we did something like that - except for the aging part - that would be awesome!"

They promptly stopped that discussion as the line moved again. They didn't want to risk muggles overhearing them. At Harry's insistence, they waited the extra time to be in the front row, "Because we've waited this long anyway - we might as well get the best seats!"

They finally sat in the front row. From left to right Cindy, Harry, Hermione, and Adam took their seats and the ride began. Harry kept his eyes wide open and loudly exclaimed his enjoyment while Hermione screamed her head off. When it was finally over, he chuckled at his friend. "Are you alright?"

"I…just need to catch my breath. That was an…exciting ride."

-

From there they went to the Iron Wolf, where, after another long line, they rode the stand-up roller coaster, banging the sides of their heads against the cushions that were in place to keep their heads secure. By the time they were done with those three rides, it was eleven o'clock - about time for them to meet with the others for lunch.

They arrived at one of the restaurants and ordered a few pizzas while waiting for the others to show up. They had just sat down when Brianna came up behind Harry.

"Did you get Hermione to hug you during those rides?"

"Shut up, Brianna! Did you enjoy the kiddy rides? Perhaps you rode a swingset? Ouch!" His little sister just punched him in the arm.

"Brianna!" snapped their mom.

"Sorry, mom."

"That you didn't break it, maybe," mumbled Harry as he rubbed his wounded arm.

The adults from her group arrived and they discussed what they'd done so far. They'd watched the Batman stunt show, ridden a train around the park, ridden a few mild rides, and played a few games. Mark had won a fairly large stuffed Tweety Bird and given it to Brianna.

After lunch, the group went to a few rides together, the first one being the American Eagle. Harry and Brianna (in a temporary truce just for the ride) sat together with Hermione and her father behind them. Mark and Cindy were behind the two Grangers. Minerva and Marissa decided to abstain from the ride and held onto Brianna's new toy. The McGonagalls on the ride started singing in unison as the car started slowly making its way up to the first drop.

"Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light…"

Hermione looked at her father. "I think we're on the wrong ride."

"What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming…"

The McGonagall quartet finished the national anthem just before the car started speeding downwards, causing several passengers to scream in terror.

-

They rode several other things, such as the Demon, the Rolling Thunder, and the Whizzer, until it started getting dark. They left the park for the day and stopped at Gurney Mills for a few hours before going home. The next day they returned to Great America to enjoy the rest of what that amusement park had to offer, and ride their favorite rides once more for the last time this year.

All too soon, the Grangers' vacation was over and it was time for them, along with the McGonagalls, to return to England. Snape's hearing was about to happen, and they all wanted to be there for that.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have. I truly apologize for how long this chapter took to post, but the delay was unavoidable.

Special thanks go to L.D. Evans, who contributed greatly to this chapter. He just signed up for this site and will soon be writing some fanfiction.

P.S. I made some slight modifications to chapters 1 and 7 regarding Brianna's age. I found I had some inconsistencies with Brianna's age. The point is that she'll start Hogwarts during Harry's third year.

I got a bit of information from 'thesearstower. com'

The Museum of Science and Industry had a Star Trek thing around that time that I went to. I'm not sure about the exact year, but I thought it would be interesting for them to see.

The Star Trek: The Next Generation episode I'm referring to is 'Time's Arrow.' Part one aired on June 15th, 1992 and part two aired September 21st, 1992 according to Star Trek's website.