Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 14 - Introductions

"Goodbye, Harry. Have a good term."

"I will, Mom," Harry said as he returned Cindy McGonagall's hug. It was ten minutes before the Hogwarts Express would be leaving. Next to him, Hermione was hugging her mother. It was a Tuesday, so one of the Grangers had to keep their surgery open. Therefore her dad wasn't able to see her off. The four of them (Cindy, Harry, Marissa, and Hermione) had driven to the station together, and had crossed the barrier to Platform Nine and Three Quarters moments before.

"I guess we'd better hurry if we're going to get a compartment," said Hermione when she separated from her mum.

Together, they walked onto the train. Harry graciously let Hermione stick her trunk into his magically charmed seven compartment trunk that always weighed ten-pounds, so he was the only one carrying luggage. Once they had a compartment, they'd remove her trunk so it would be placed in her dorm with the rest of the students' trunks.

"I'm sorry I delayed us so much," said Hermione after they'd walked past ten full compartments. They'd seen their study group sitting with others. Padma and Neville seemed apologetic, saying that they'd tried to save them a seat, but they were just too late and others had filled up the compartment.

Harry smirked at her. "I know. Once you found out that you could use my trunk, we had to go back to your house to get the books you'd left behind - especially Hogwarts, A History."

"They're very helpful," she said defensively, "and I couldn't fit them in my trunk because of all the Lockhart books." She glanced at the floor as her ears turned pink. "Can you imagine writing all those books, not to mention doing all those things in them? Professor Lockhart is very brave, and…"

"Lies very well," interrupted Harry. "My aunt says he was a Slytherin - not a Gryffindor like he claimed - and that he was at the bottom of his class! He dropped out of Hogwarts after failing too many O.W.L.s."

She looked shocked. "B-but then he must have studied independently. He's probably terribly embarrassed about his past, so he…er, embellished it a bit."

Harry stopped in his tracks and stared at his best friend. "Embellished? Embellished? Hermione, he lied to the Daily Prophet, and who knows what else he's lied about?"

"Fine," she sighed. "I won't try to convince you. I'm sure you'll change your mind after we've had a few lessons. I'm sure we'll learn a great deal from him."

At this moment, they looked into a department that was mostly empty, aside from two girls sitting about four feet apart who appeared to be first-years. One was rather short and had long, auburn hair. She was busily writing in a small book she was holding in her lap. The other had long, straggly, blonde hair, and was holding an issue of the Quibbler in front of her face at a forty-five degree angle.

"Hello," came a voice from behind the magazine, causing the red-head to look up and quickly close her book to stare at the two second-years.

"Oh, um, hello," said Harry. "This is Hermione Granger, and I'm Harry McGonagall."

"My brother, Ron Weasley, told me a bit about you two," said the other girl. "I'm Ginny."

"He mentioned having a younger sister last year," said Hermione. "It's good to meet you. I'm surprised you're not sitting with him."

"He's too grown up to sit with his baby sister."

Harry felt a bit of frustration with Ron at that moment. He fully intended to look out for Brianna when she started coming, beginning with their carriage ride. Without commenting on that, he turned to the magazine-girl. "And you are?"

The Quibbler was placed on the other girl's lap, revealing a face with protuberant silvery grey eyes with very faint eyebrows. She was wearing a necklace with butterbeer corks on it and radish-shaped earrings. Her wand was behind her ear. "I'm Luna Lovegood. You both were mentioned in the Quibbler. I admire you both for testifying that both Professor Dumbledore and Snape had been possessed by Squargles and were eating House Elves in that trial, and couldn't believe that the Daily Prophet didn't mention it."

Both Harry and Hermione stared at the blonde girl in silent disbelief for a few moments until Ginny made a motion with her eyes that her companion wasn't quite normal. Harry cleared his throat. "Anyway, um, we were wondering if we could share your compartment. Everywhere else is full."

"Sure," said Ginny, whose ears were getting a bit pink. "You can sit here."

As they were walking toward the seat opposite from Ginny, Luna said to Harry, "You don't look like a natural blonde. I think you'd look better with darker hair."

Ginny started looking at him with a concentrated expression, undoubtedly picturing what he'd look like with black hair. Hermione wore a neutral expression. Harry nearly had a panic attack. He felt like he was wearing a `Boy-Who-Lived' t-shirt. "Um, well this is the only color hair I can remember having."

"I see," said Luna with no expression as she picked up her paper again.

Ginny was twirling a strand of hair on her finger nervously as Harry sat down opposite of her. "I, er, heard about that House Elf group that you two started."

Hermione grinned. "The Community for Advancing the Rights of Elves. C.A.R.E. for short. You see…"

The brunette went off with her explanation of the group while Harry pulled two packets of literature and badges out of his trunk. Ten minutes later, both Ginny and Luna had bought them, although Luna had made a rather strange comment about House Elves originating from cursed Hobbits rather than actual Elves.

Eventually, the conversation moved on to Quidditch, where Harry declared, "I'm going to try out for Seeker on my house team."

"I'm sure you know that my brothers, Fred and George, are the Gryffindor Beaters."

"Yes," said Harry, nodding, "and they're really good. It's too bad that Ravenclaw's gonna…"

"Gonna be shut out by Gryffindor!" proclaimed Ginny proudly.

"Wanna bet?" asked Harry.

"Five knuts says Gryffindor beats Ravenclaw when they play."

Harry would've preferred to bet a Galleon, but he knew that the Weasleys weren't very wealthy, so he didn't want to embarrass Ginny by commenting on how small of an amount that was. "You're on."

While they were shaking hands, Hermione commented, "Wouldn't it be funny if you ended up in Ravenclaw after betting against us?"

"No way! I'm going to be in Gryffindor."

"I'd like to be in Ravenclaw," said Luna. She then turned toward Hermione. "Are you going to try out for the Quidditch team as well?"

With her face turning a bit pink, she said, "Well, I'm not as good a flier as Harry, but I thought I might try out for the Chaser position. I'll be borrowing Harry's broom for the tryouts, and if I make the team, my parents promised to get me a broom."

"I almost hope you do make the team, Granger!" Draco Malfoy's sneer come from just outside the compartment. As usual, he was flanked by his bodyguards. Harry immediately summoned his original wand into his hand. "A lot of people get injured during Quidditch, especially filthy, ignorant mudbloods who think they understand flying."

While Draco was talking, Harry whispered a spell with his wand pointed at Draco's feet. He then turned to Hermione with a mock-pitying tone of voice. "Didn't that just hurt your feelings soooo much? Being called that by a filthy inbred."

"Oh, yes," she agreed melodramatically. "I shall have to cry for days."

Malfoy hissed as he pointed his wand at her, "You should be crying, you filthy…ahhh!"

At that moment, he fell forward. Harry had done a minor sticking spell to the soles of Draco's shoes. When he tried stepping forward, he couldn't pick up the shoes, so consequently, he'd lost his balance. While he was falling forward, the charm was overpowered by his bodyweight and let go of the floor.

"Bowing to Hermione again," said Harry with a smirk as he summoned Draco's wand yet again. He looked over at the two goons. "Maybe you should join Malfoy on the ground."

They looked at each other in confusion until Draco shouted, "Help me up, you idiots!" Both bent down to help him at the same moment, and with a bit of unnoticed help from Hermione's wand, the two banged their heads together. With one hand holding their head, and the other helping their alpha off the floor, they managed to get Draco up.

"I really aught to toss your wand out the window," said Harry casually.

"I'll bet you really think you're something, now that your aunt is Headmistress! You just wait! My father'll…" He shut his mouth with a look of fear momentarily crossing his face, replaced immediately by a sneer. "Give me my wand, McGonagall!" He held out his hand.

"Your father will what?" Harry growled as he grabbed Draco and pressed him against the wall.

"What's going on here?" said a voice none of them expected. They all turned to see Percy Weasley.

"Harry McGonagall stole my wand," said Draco with a smirk. "He said that he can do anything he wants now that his aunt's in charge of the school."

"That's a lie!" said Hermione. "Malfoy came here threatening us with his goons."

"It is not!" said Draco. "Crabbe and Goyle heard it, too." The goons nodded their heads.

"They're lying!" said Ginny to her brother. "They came into our compartment and interrupted our conversation to start calling Hermione a mudblood!"

Ignoring Ginny, the self-important prefect said, "I'm taking five points from Ravenclaw. Mr. McGonagall, let go of Mr. Malfoy and give him his wand back. I will be reporting this to your head of house. I suggest you all change into your school robes. We should be at Hogwarts soon."

"But Percy," shouted Ginny as the pompous git turned around and left the compartment, followed by the Slytherins. Once the door was closed, she proclaimed, "That stupid git! My brothers were right! That prefect badge is cutting off the circulation to his brain!"

Hermione added, "I'd think that he'd be careful about how he deals with the headmistress' nephew."

"Malfoy's father is on the board," said Harry, "so he probably thinks that we're equals, and he dislikes me."

"But he won't even listen to me," said Ginny, pouting.

"The Malfoy family has much more clout at the Ministry," said Luna, gazing into space. "They're involved with Minister Fudge in the Goblin-pie conspiracy."

-

Harry left the compartment to change in the toilet, while the three girls changed where they were, and soon the train arrived in Hogsmeade. Before long, Harry and Hermione were sharing a carriage after Madam Grubbly had called their new friends to the boats.

Just before it took off toward the castle, Padma Patil and Neville Longbottom climbed aboard. "Hi guys," she said to her fellow Ravenclaw second-years. "I'm sorry we couldn't save you a seat earlier, but…"

"That's alright," said Harry. "We barely made it on time. We don't blame you for making sure that you had a seat." Harry pulled a small object out of his pocket and turned it on.

"What's that?" asked Padma, before a look of understanding crossed her face. "Is that the…what was it called…game…that Hermione's family gave you at the party?"

Harry smiled at her. "Yes. It's the Game Boy. I just wish it was lighter out. I wish I could use my wand without interfering with it. Anyway, I'm trying to see how long until the magic interferes with it." He was getting more and more engrossed with Super Mario Land as his thumbs kept rapidly moving while the others talked. They were already well inside the grounds when the screen finally filled up with all kinds of weird symbols, signaling that it was no longer functioning properly. "Shoot! I had just about beaten the castle, too!" As he turned off the game system, he looked around, seemingly pleased with how close to the castle they were. He turned to Hermione. "It looks like you were right about electricity working near the castle. I'll bet it'll work in Hagrid's old hut."

A look of excitement crossed Hermione's face. "Oh, that would be perfect! Professor Grubbly doesn't use it. She stays in the castle. If your aunt would give us permission…we could clean it up to use! Maybe we could even make it a C.A.R.E. office!" Her eyes then lit up. "Maybe the Muggle Studies professor would like to use it to demonstrate electricity occasionally."

"Okay," said Harry. "We'll talk to her after the feast. If we can get the keys, I'll even keep my electric stuff there."

-

Before long, they found themselves sitting at the Ravenclaw table. They'd watched the sorting with interest. After Benjamin Cadwallader was sorted into Hufflepuff, a rather short boy with mousy brown hair named Colin Creevey was called. Harry couldn't believe that the boy had taken a picture of the sorting hat before putting it on, and tried to persuade Professor Flitwick, who was now Deputy Headmaster, to take his picture while he was being sorted. In the end, another first year took the photo as Colin happily put on the old hat and was sorted into "Gryffindor!" As the excited boy made his way toward the appropriate table, which was politely clapping, though not enthusiastically, he noticed that the camera was very similar to the one that Mr. Granger had bought the previous year in Diagon Alley.

They watched the others with mild interest as they were sorted, clapping when one made their house. A brunette girl with green eyes named Sally Fawcett became a Ravenclaw just before a blonde boy named Mark Harper became a Slytherin.

When Luna Lovegood's name was called, she walked up to the stool with the same blank expression on her face that she always had and put the hat on. After about thirty seconds, it declared that the unusual girl belonged in, "Ravenclaw." She took off the hat and walked over to their table. Harry signaled for her to join them.

When she sat down next to Hermione, she announced, "That hat was infested with nargles." Harry grinned as he agreed that the old hat was probably infested with something. They introduced her to their other friends as the sorting continued.

The last person sorted this year was Ginny Weasley. With a determined expression on her face, she walked up to the hat and put it on. It almost immediately shouted, "Gryffindor," as though it knew she would accept nothing else. Harry smiled as he realized that the hat did know that. He then turned his attention to the podium, where his aunt was about to make her first speech as Headmistress.

"Welcome newcomers and returning students alike. As you can see, there has been a change in Hogwarts' administration during the summer. Professor Dumbledore has decided to retire, and now I am Headmistress. The rest of the announcements can wait until after the feast. Tuck in." With a small smirk, she waved her hand in a grand gesture, and food appeared at all the tables.

Harry happily grabbed a chicken leg, and began his meal. When they were finished eating, Minerva once again took the podium.

With her normal, stern look, she began. "Probably the most important announcement to the Gryffindors is that Professor Aurora Sinistra of Astronomy is now their head of House." This announcement was followed by mild applause from Gryffindor table. The elderly witch nodded toward them as her ears turned pink. "As Professor Snape is no longer here," At this moment, tremendous applause came from the three non-Slytherin tables. After it died down, she continued.

"As I was saying, his responsibilities have been given to others. Most important for the Slytherins, is that Professor Hezekiah Kettleburn of Care of Magical Creatures is your new head of House. We are also pleased to welcome Professor Sharon LaVelle from France as Potions Mistress." She motioned to an attractive, middle-aged woman with black hair, brown eyes, and a bright smile.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts is being taught this year by Gilderoy Lockhart." She frowned at the applause that came from most of the girls. She then motioned to a young man wearing Ravenclaw robes who was sitting at the head table. "Also, Matthew Shapon, in addition to his N.E.W.T. studies, has been given the position as Assistant Professor, and will be assisting me in Transfiguration classes. He has the same authority as Head Boy, and can take points and give detentions, so I expect you to treat him with the same respect you would me."

"The dark forest remains forbidden, as some of you would be wise to remember." Her eyes darted toward the Weasley twins, and Harry wondered what she'd say if she found out he'd ridden his illegal broom in there the previous year. "Magic is still forbidden in the corridors, and there is a rather extensive list of forbidden items in Mr. Filch's office. That is all. Good evening."

Harry and Hermione got up and walked over to the head table. "Headmistress," said Harry with a grin, "Can we talk to you for a minute?"

"Certainly, Mr. McGonagall," she replied. "What's this I hear about you getting in trouble on the train?"

"What?" he asked. "Oh. That. Malfoy came to our compartment causing trouble, and that idiot, Percy Weasley, came by and took his side. He wouldn't even listen to his little sister. She was with us. I'd be glad to give you that memory."

"I'd appreciate that." She then conjured a vial and Harry gave her the memory. "I want to see how Mr. Weasley handles his responsibilities. He's on the short list for Head Boy next year. However, I'm afraid that if I return those points directly to you, it may cause trouble." Harry looked confused. "Malfoy will say I'm favoring you. Therefore, I'll simply add a few extra points to any Ravenclaws this week who earn them in my class. I'll speak to Professor Flitwick about it. He knows how young Malfoy loves to cause trouble."

Harry smiled. "Thanks, but that's not what we wanted to talk about."

"Oh. Then what is it?"

Hermione answered, "Is anybody using Hagrid's old hut?"

"No. Why?"

"Well," said Harry, "My Game Boy worked almost all the way to the school, so I wanted to find a safe place to use electronic things…"

"And we thought it could double as headquarters for C.A.R.E."

"You'd like to take it over?" the Headmistress asked. They nodded. "I don't see why not. I'll send someone there to make sure it's safe, and then you'll be responsible for cleaning it." The kids had matching smiles. "I'd imagine you'll want to replace the furniture with something of a more…appropriate size. And you won't need the bed."

"Thank you," said Harry.

"I suppose you'll occasionally want to hold social gatherings there to use your music."

"Yes, Professor," said Hermione. "We also thought that the cabin could occasionally be used for a Muggle Studies demonstration."

Minerva looked thoughtful. "That would be a good idea. I shall bring it up at the next staff meeting. Let me know in advance if you're going to have more than ten people there. I'll let you know when the place has been checked for dangerous creatures." Harry didn't understand the sneaky expression on his aunt's face.

"Thanks a lot, Aunt Minnie."

"You're welcome, Harry. Oh, and it may interest you to know that the password for Ravenclaw tower is Omniscience."

"Oh, yeah, thanks," Hermione said, blushing. "We forgot to ask."

"I thought as much. Good night, you two."

"Good night."

As the two of them turned to leave, Harry caught a glimpse of an elf behaving rather strangely. Instead of working - for example, cleaning up a mess - it was against a wall looking at him. Harry blinked and it was gone, so he shook his head, supposing he'd imagined it, and began walking toward Ravenclaw Tower.

They were about half-way to the tower when there was a loud bang in a nearby classroom. Harry's wand was in his right hand almost immediately. "Stay here, Hermione. I'm gonna see what's wrong."

"Oh, no you don't," she said, with her wand out as well, "I'm going, too."

With his companion right behind him, Harry stepped into the dark classroom. He heard a finger snap, and the door slammed behind them.

From behind him, Hermione said, "What is goin…." CRASH!!!

He turned around to see that where she should be was a structure the size of a wardrobe. She was obviously trapped inside it.

The room lit up, and a house elf wearing what appeared to be an old, filthy pillowcase, stepped out of the shadows. She had several bruises all over her body.

"Let Hermione go!" Harry demanded as he angrily pointed his wand at the elf.

"Your Hermy is safe. I is Tribly," she said, "and you is being Harry Potter."

He stopped in his tracks. "What?"

"I is having terrible news. There is a plot. Hogwarts is not safe! Harry Potter must be leaving!"

"Who's plotting what?" he asked.

"Tribly is hearing master plotting terrible things to happen at Hogwarts, but is being happy that Harry Potter isn't at Hogwarts. Today, Tribly is using elf magic to locate Harry Potter, just to be sure, and finds that Harry Potter is at Hogwarts. Tribly is distressed! Harry Potter must go home!"

Harry lowered his wand. "Who is your master, Tribly?"

"Tribly must not be telling."

He squatted down next to her and kindly asked, "Is your master the one who hurt you," while indicating her bruises. "That's now illegal."

"Tribly is knowing the law, but mustn't speak ill of her master. If he is losing another elf from care…"

"Another elf!" repeated Harry as the elf put her hands over her mouth. "The only one who's lost an elf because of C.A.R.E. is Malfoy." The elf's eyes bulged out. She quickly snapped her fingers and disappeared. At the same moment, the walls around Hermione disappeared and the door to the classroom opened.

"What's going on?" asked Hermione, looking scared.

"The Malfoy's are up to something."

-

Harry told Hermione what happened, and she insisted on telling his aunt the next day. Harry decided not to tell the rest of his family when he spoke to them that night.

At breakfast, they found out that they had Potions first period.

"This should be good. Aunt Minnie says that Professor LaVelle is really nice."

"That should be a nice change," said Padma.

"We might actually learn something in class," said Hermione, "What a concept."

"I hope Professor LaVelle isn't suffering from psaterics. That would cause her to grow horns when she inhales fumes from certain potions," said Luna, who was sitting with them. Padma and Michael Corner stared at her.

"Um, me, too," said Harry. "I think it's time to go. Good luck with your first day, Luna."

"Thank you," she said politely as they left.

As soon as they'd exited the Great Hall, Michael whispered, "That girl is loony."

"Maybe a bit," said Harry, "but she means well. She's not hurting anybody. I'd much rather deal with ten of her than one Malfoy, so save your insults for him."

"Alright, alright," he said, "Sorry. I didn't know you fancied her." Hermione paled at that statement.

"I don't fancy her," said Harry, without so much as the slightest blush. "I just don't see any reason to be unfriendly. She hasn't done anything to you." Hermione smiled.

-

They arrived early for their first Potions lesson with their new professor. When it was time, she said, "Good morning, class. My name, as you all know, is Professor LaVelle." She spoke with a very slight accent that was hard to detect. Harry thought she sounded a bit nervous, which was understandable since it was her first class. "I'm going to take attendance before we get started." She then named off the students, beginning with Hannah Abbot of Hufflepuff, the house that the Ravenclaws were sharing Potions with.

"Now, as I understand it, Potions hasn't been properly taught here. The records my predecessor left indicate that you did complete several potions last year, but I'm willing to bet that you never went over the reasons why certain ingredients work together. Am I right?" They all nodded. "Very well. Everyone, get out a new parchment and a quill. We're going to make a chart."

After everyone was ready, she said, "The first potion you made last year was to cure boils. Can anyone name an ingredient in it?"

Both Hermione and Harry stuck their hands in the air, along with several other Ravenclaws.

"Mr. McGonagall?"

"Porcupine quills."

"Correct. One point to Ravenclaw. Everyone put that on your chart. Now the properties of porcupine quills are…" She explained exactly what its properties were and what it did in that potion. For the rest of the lesson, they went over different ingredients for the potions they'd made the previous year. It was very informative. Near the end of class, she said, "For the next lesson, we'll be making the Deflating Draught. I want each of you to hand in a report with an introduction that explains what the potion does, at least a paragraph about the properties of each ingredient, followed by an explanation of how they work together to form that potion. No less than two feet of parchment." Everyone but Hermione groaned. "Class dismissed."

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

Colin having a wizarding camera is the easiest explanation for it working at Hogwarts. CoS only said that the camera looked ordinary to Harry, who didn't have much experience with wizarding cameras.

-->