Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 18 - Who Knows What?

He picked up the shining, silvery cloth off the floor. It was strange to the touch, like water woven into material. A note fell out of it as he did so. Aunt Minnie picked up the note. Her face paled as she glanced at it. She absently passed to note to Harry, who looked at the narrow, loopy writing he had never seen before.

"Your father left this in my possession before he died. It is time it was returned to you. Use it well.

A Very Happy Christmas to you, Harry Potter."

"Someone found me!" Harry declared, not sure if he should be scared or not.

"Maybe they just sent an owl and got lucky," suggested Brianna.

"No, Harry," said Minerva. "Long ago, I performed a spell to make owls recognize you as Harry McGonagall and not Harry Potter. Otherwise you'd have been found almost immediately by someone simply following an owl. No one can find you that way. Even if that weren't true, it wouldn't matter in this case. I recognize that writing, and know who sent this to you."

"Who?" asked Cindy.

"Albus Dumbledore."

"WHAT!?!" shouted everyone at once.

Minnie sighed. "He told me that he was going to dedicate himself to finding the Boy-Who-Lived, and it looks like he has."

"But why did he send me a present and not just show up here?" asked Harry.

"That's a good question," said Mark. "What do you think, Aunt Minnie?"

"I don't know, Mark. I'm surprised he didn't send aurors here to arrest me for kidnapping."

Cindy asked, "How could he? He kidnapped Harry, too. If I'm not mistaken, the legal procedure would've been taking him to the Ministry and letting them decide who his guardians would be."

"I can imagine who he'd have ended up with then," said Minerva. She shook her head. "Dumbledore is up to something. He must have known I'd recognize his writing." She sighed in resolution. "I'm afraid that I'll have to leave so I can have a talk with him to see what he wants."

"No, don't go, Aunt Minnie," said Brianna as everyone expressed similar sentiments.

"I'm afraid my mind is made up. This matter has to be settled. I, for one, do not wish to spend the rest of the holiday worried about this. I'll mirror you when I have news, and I'll return as soon as I can."

"I know how they like to maintain appearances, so I'll drive you to the airport," said Mark, shrugging his shoulders.

She turned to her brother's son. "No, that won't be necessary just this once. I don't want you to spend Christmas driving in Chicago. I shall apparate there. It's not illegal to do. Your government just doesn't want to attract the attention of muggles, so they prefer people traveling to and from the airport by muggle means. However, you only get in trouble if you do it more than twice per year. Happy Christmas, everyone."

She then left the room with everyone staring after her. Obviously trying to change the subject, Cindy asked, "What did Mr. Dumbledore give you, anyway?"

Harry looked at the shining, silvery cloth in his hands for a moment before saying, "It's some sort of cloak."

"Then, put it on," said Brianna eagerly. "I've never seen you wearing silver before."

"Alright," he said, and wrapped it around his shoulders so that it covered everything but his head. Everyone gasped and just stared, causing him to look down at himself. What he saw horrified him. "My body's gone!" he declared.

"It is not," said Brianna as a huge grin formed on her face. "Didn't you pay attention during the first Charms class at Wentworth where Mr. Connelly talks about how some advanced spells can be put on clothes to protect the wearer from most spells or to make her…"

"Invisible," Harry said excitedly. "I've got an invisibility cloak!"

Brianna said; "You'd better not tell Aunt Minnie," while looking first at Harry and then her parents. "She'd never let you keep it."

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, either," said Cindy, with a concerned expression on her face. "What do you do at Hogwarts that an invisibility cloak would help you with?"

Harry's ears turned pink as he looked in his mom's eyes. "Um, well, nothing."

"Then why…" she started before her son interrupted her.

"But it would be nice to have - not use - something that belonged to my biological father with me." He put on his most pathetic face.

"Yeah, right," Cindy replied with a smirk. "Those puppy dog eyes stopped working years ago. I know exactly what you'll want to use it for, so I'm afraid we won't let you take it with you to school." She then turned to her husband, who had thus far remained silent. He was staring in awe at where Harry's body should be. "Isn't that right, Mark?"

"Hmm. What was that, dear?" He used to just automatically agree with his wife when he wasn't paying attention, but he'd learned his lesson when she'd tricked him into agreeing that he'd take her to the opera. She made him keep that promise and he endured two agonizing hours as punishment for pretending to pay attention.

"I was saying that we won't let him take that cloak to school, Mark."

He cleared his throat, and looked nervous as he said, "I don't know, dear. I've got a feeling that he'd somehow sneak it there, anyway. I don't think he'd get involved in too much…"

Cindy couldn't believe her ears. She rounded on her husband. "Mark, how can you say that?" she yelled. "What would you have done at that age with that cloak?"

"Um, well..." Seeing that their parents were not paying attention, Harry covered up his face and Brianna snuck under the cloak, too, and they walked to the kitchen, grabbed a platter full of Christmas cookies, and sneaked up the stairs.

-

"Happy Christmas, Minerva," said Dumbledore with a twinkle in his eyes. He was wearing an outfit that made him look like a tall, thin Santa Claus. She had knocked on his door moments before. "How are you?"

"Happy Christmas, Albus. I'm doing well. How are you?"

"Just wonderful. Please, come in. May I take your coat?"

After that, Dumbledore offered, "Would you care for a Christmas biscuit? My elf, Blankey, just finished baking them. With the exception of kitchen duty, I've given her the day off, which is why I answered the door. It was quite considerate of you to pay an old man a visit on this fine holiday."

"I'm afraid that this isn't just a social call, as you well know, Albus," said Minerva as she was seated on his couch.

"Very well," he said nonchalantly. "It is fortunate that you came this late. You see, Severus was here and left a little while ago. I couldn't imagine his reaction to learning that the very boy responsible for his dismissal from Hogwarts' staff was the son of James Potter."

With a hint of a smile on her face, she said, "I'd imagine he wouldn't be too pleased. The way those two used to go at each other…" She stopped her reminiscing to return to the present. "I'm surprised Aberforth isn't here today."

"He did stop by this morning with his gift, a bottle of wine that's almost as old as I am. He said that he had to keep the Hogs Head open today."

She sighed. "Very well. How did you find out about Harry?"

"It was actually quite simple," he said with a twinkle in his eyes. "In my search for the Boy-Who-Lived, I decided to revisit the Dursleys, who were quite happy to inform me of their encounter with young Harry last summer, at a zoo if I'm not mistaken." Under her breath, Minerva whispered an expletive she would've docked a student twenty points for uttering in her presence. The former headmaster seemed to have not heard, although his eyes twinkled a bit more than they had been. "I was able to look in their minds and immediately recognized both Harry and yourself. I also saw their reaction to him. You should have obliviated them, Minerva. By the way, I did just that before I left. They now have no idea whether Harry Potter is dead or alive."

"I see."

"I must say, Minerva, that you had me completely fooled all those years. I never even suspected you had anything to do with Harry's disappearance."

"I saw what kind of people the Dursleys were, and refused to subject him to them. I do not regret that decision, and will not allow him to be returned," she said firmly.

"I quite understand," he replied happily. "Taking him away from the family he grew up with would devastate that lad, and wouldn't accomplish much anyway. As safe as he would be with the blood wards I put at that house, I believe that he is even safer where no one knows where to find him, should they wish him harm. I believe that it is in the lad's best interests to keep him where he is."

"That's good," said Professor McGonagall, although she was confused.

"I must confess," Albus continued, "that I am a bit hurt that you didn't trust my judgment." She opened her mouth to speak, but he waved her off with his hand. "I know that you have demonstrated that sometimes my judgment is not the best, and in this case, I think it has worked out well. Judging by my encounters with the Dursleys, I do believe that Harry was happier with your family than he would've been with his blood relatives. He certainly seems well-adjusted, and a prodigy, if a bit stubborn."

"If that means that he demands that his teachers behave in a professional manner, then it is a trait that we share."

"I know," he said with his familiar eye-twinkle. "I do have one question for you, Minerva."

"Oh," she asked.

"What really happened last term with Professor Quirrel?"

-

Not long after, Albus Dumbledore relaxed in his favorite easy chair, having just bid a good evening to Headmistress McGonagall. He had been very intrigued by the method Harry had used to prevail against Quirrel and gave her his theory as to why the possessed professor couldn't bear to touch the Boy-Who-Lived.

As he reflected about his discussion with Minerva, his mind drifted back to his last meeting with the Dursleys.

Having apparated into a nearby alley, Dumbledore, dressed in a navy blue muggle suit, with his white hair and beard as long as ever, walked up to the door of Number Four Privet Drive and knocked. It was early November, and the former professor had not had any success yet in his search for Harry Potter. He'd decided that it couldn't hurt to interview the Dursleys again. They didn't remember the last time he'd been there, over a decade before, when he'd found out that they hadn't found Harry on their doorstep.

The door opened, revealing a scrawny woman with a long neck that Albus immediately recognized as Petunia Dursley. She was staring at his beard like it was something vile. "May I help you," she said curtly.

With a twinkle in his eye, he jovially replied, "I certainly hope so, Mrs. Dursley. I'm Albus Dumbledore. You may rem…"

"The head of that freak school," she hissed.

"Actually," he said, "I've retired from that position."

"If this is about my freak nephew, we meant what we said! He is not to come near us!"

The aged wizard's eyes bulged out at this news for about a second, which was the only physical reaction he'd had to this astonishing news. Before he could respond, a voice called out, "Petunia, who is that at the door?"

She replied, "A freak like the Potters!"

"Then slam the door in his face."

Dumbledore asked, "Did I understand you correctly, Mrs. Dursley, that you have met your nephew?"

"Yes, but I don't want to see him again!" She pulled on the door to close it, but Dumbledore stopped her as he performed Legilimency on the woman, making her relive her encounter with Harry Potter. He was astonished by what he'd discovered, and would have to think carefully about how to proceed, but he did know that it would be unwise to leave the Dursleys with that information. With lightning-quick speed, he pulled out his wand and silently stunned her. He caught her, walked into the house, and gently placed her on the floor.

"What are you doing to my wife, you freak?!" shouted Vernon, who was moving toward him in what could only be described as very slow running. It was quite easy for Dumbledore to stun him as well, making sure to levitate him to the chair he'd just left. He then levitated Petunia to the couch. At this moment, Dudley came down the stairs, having apparently been alerted by the noise that something was amiss. Before he could speak, the wizard stunned and levitated him as well. While they were still unconscious, he obliviated each of them of their encounter with Harry, as well as the encounter with him. He enervated them just before popping away.

Dumbledore sighed as he considered what kind of life Harry would've had if he'd been left with that family. He'd never admit it, but he was actually grateful that Minerva had saved him from that grave mistake.

-

"He gave you an invisibility cloak?" repeated the bushy-haired girl from the mirror in Harry's hand. "I've never heard of anything so irresponsible…but then again, it is Dumbledore."

Harry chuckled at that statement, knowing that she, like him, didn't think very highly of the former headmaster's judgment. However, he did like his cloak and wanted to keep it. As soon as he and Brianna finished `testing' the Christmas cookies to make sure they were up to their mum's normal high standards, she went to her room and he called his best friend. He was sitting at his desk. "It used to belong to my biological father."

Hermione's expression softened as she said, "I understand that it's important to you. I'm just saying that I can't believe Dumbledore would give it to you."

"He's probably trying to get on my good side now, since he apparently knows who I am. Remember, he said there was some sort of prophecy about me." When he saw his best friend frown, he decided to change the subject slightly. "Can you imagine how useful that cloak will be with our pranking?"

He saw a hint of a smile return to her face. "But I doubt you'll be able to bring it with you. I'm sure your aunt…"

"I don't think my aunt even glanced at the cloak. She was more concerned with the note," he interrupted happily.

"But your parents…"

"Are fighting about it now," he said with a grin. "I know I'll be able to keep it."

"How do you know that?" asked Hermione, looking rather skeptical.

"Because it's the only thing I have from my biological family. No matter how much my mom's against the cloak, she won't stop me from keeping it. She may want an unbreakable vow that I won't use the cloak for breaking school rules, but I'm…"

"She won't ask for an unbreakable vow. That would kill you!"

With a slight chuckle, Harry said, "I know. I was just exaggerating. I…"

At that moment, there was a knock on the door. A female voice called, "Harry, honey, may I come in?"

"It's my mom," said Harry to the mirror. "I've gotta go."

"Let me know how it turns out."

"Okay. Bye. Mirror, deactivate." He then turned toward the door. "Come in."

The door opened, and Cindy McGonagall was indeed standing behind it. She walked inside and sat on his bed, picking up the light cloak that was lying on it. She examined it with interest for about thirty seconds before speaking. "So, this used to belong to James Potter."

"That's what the note said," responded Harry noncommittally.

Sighing, she said, "That explains how he got away with the pranks Aunt Minnie said she could never prove he did."

"You're not going to tell her about the cloak, are you?" he asked, concerned.

"Your father asked me not to. He wants you to have the cloak. I'm not so sure about it."

"Mom, I," he pleaded.

"I know. If she knows about the cloak, she'll make sure you don't bring it back to Hogwarts. She'll probably personally search your trunk to make sure you didn't smuggle it."

"So I can bring it to school?" he asked excitedly.

She looked deep into his mischievous green eyes. "If we say no, will you try to sneak it to Hogwarts anyway?"

As much as he tried, he still couldn't stop his ears from turning pink under his mother's gaze. Before he spoke, she continued, "Don't bother answering, because I'd rather not be lied to."

"Um…"

"I told your father that you'd get into trouble with the cloak, and he said you already do. The cloak would only be an extra tool for you to use."

He lowered his gaze, not being able to stand the fact that he couldn't lie to his mother properly. He wondered if he should practice more. "Well, you see…"

"While I don't want you playing pranks with it, there's also the danger that seems to find you, not to mention the trouble at the school right now." She sighed. "I have to admit that I'm a bit uneasy sending you to Hogwarts with all that Chamber of Secrets business going on. Having the cloak might make you a bit safer."

She paused. "It might also inspire you to break the restrictions that have been put on you. I could try to make you promise not to use it for pranks, but by doing that, I know I'd turn you into a liar. I need you to at least promise me that you won't use it to place yourself in extra danger, going places where students aren't allowed."

He sighed, and looked into the woman's eyes and said, "I promise," without blinking.

"Alright," she said. "I'll take your word for it, and I'll be very disappointed in you if you break that promise." He nodded in understanding. "Now, what will we tell Aunt Minnie when she asks what Dumbledore gave you?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Why not just say it was an old cloak?"

"She'd want to see it," said Cindy. "I think it would be better to actually have something else to show her. I have just the thing. I'll be right back." She then left the room, leaving Harry wondering just what it was that she was bringing. She was back within five minutes holding something silver in her hands.

"What's that?" he asked, curious.

She held it so that he would see that it was an old, but obviously taken care of, wristwatch. It was obviously expensive.

"It's a watch my father used to wear before…before he died. I was planning on giving it to you on your next birthday, but I'll give it to you now instead. We can say it belonged to your father instead of your grandfather when Aunt Minnie's around. I don't want you wearing it every day - only on occasions where you'd dress up."

"What if I put an unbreakable charm on it?" he asked.

She smiled at her magical son. "Alright. Do that."

He got his wand and performed that charm, and then decided to try a, "Repairo," to take care of the few scratches. He was pleased to see that it now looked brand new. "Thanks, mom," he said before getting up from his desk and hugging her. He knew that this gift meant a lot to her. When they separated, she got up from Harry's bed.

"Aunt Minnie called us a few minutes ago and said that Mr. Dumbledore doesn't intend on spilling the beans about you. He found out by talking to the Dursleys." Harry had to stop himself from swearing in front of his mother. "She'll be back before dinner. Why don't you come down and collect the rest of your presents so the living room isn't a mess anymore?" She turned to walk out of the room. It was then that Cindy noticed the empty platter on his desk. "Did you eat all the Christmas cookies?"

-

Minerva arrived back at the house just before Christmas dinner, and was impressed with Harry's new watch, and apparently didn't suspect a thing. The next week went by quickly, with Harry and Brianna `testing' the Super Nintendo out as much as possible. Naturally, Harry had his now traditional Quidditch match with his American friends at Frank's Flying Funhouse. His team won, as usual.

Hermione was shocked that Harry's mom let him keep the Invisibility cloak, but he knew that she had a mischievous side. "She adopted me under Dumbledore's nose, didn't she?" Soon enough, Harry was back at Hogwarts, wondering if Malfoy had tried to cause trouble for his friends again, and wondering what they'd do to him this time. Thinking about that almost made Harry wish he'd ridden the train - almost. He did prefer to spend the extra time with his family, although he was anxious to see Hermione, `and the others,' he reminded himself, again.

-

The door to the Great Hall opened, alerting Harry that the other students had returned. He marked his place in the book he'd been reading and stuffed it in his book bag as he looked up. He saw a throng of kids aged eleven to eighteen all wearing black robes as they made their way toward the tables. His eyes searched from face to face until he finally spotted his best friend. He didn't notice the wide smile that automatically came on his face as his eyes met Hermione's.

She spotted him immediately (which wasn't hard since he was the only student sitting down) and his face brightened as she began quickly making her way toward him. Their eyes were locked until she was sitting next to him. "Hello, Harry!" she happily greeted him.

"Hi, Hermione. How was the train ride?"

"Entertaining," said Padma, who'd sat across from them.

"Oh?" asked Harry. "What did Malfoy do?"

"Nothing to us," said Hermione with a grin. "He didn't have time."

Now Harry's interest was peeked. "What happened?"

"The git, along with Crabbe and Goyle, was picking on that first-year Gryffindor, Colin Creevey, telling him that he'd be the next `mudblood' attacked. Colin punched him, and Ron Weasley and Neville walked by at the right moment and started fighting Crabbe and Goyle so they couldn't protect Malfoy," said Padma.

Luna, who'd just joined them, added, "I think the Plumcorts were affecting them."

Hermione stared at her for a moment, before saying, "Colin had Draco in a headlock when Penny found them fighting and broke it up. Unfortunately, Crabbe and Goyle were winning their fights."

Harry glanced at the Slytherin table to see that Draco was sporting a huge black eye on the left side of his face. Ron and Neville at the Gryffindor table had assorted bruises, but were otherwise fine. Colin didn't seem to have a scratch on him. Harry said, "I guess Draco didn't realize that kids learn how to fight a lot better in a muggle school than a mansion."

Hermione looked annoyed while the other girls giggled. Hermione said, "After that, all six boys were forced to sit in the same compartment with a few prefects for the rest of the trip. I think they all got detention and lost their houses some points."

"So," said Padma with a smirk, "Malfoy was unable to grace us with his presence. We were so disappointed."

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment before asking, "Draco actually told Colin he'd be the next victim?"

"Idle boasting," said Hermione with a scoff.

"What if it's not?" replied Harry.

"That pathetic little boy is not the Heir of Slytherin. He just wishes he were."

"How do we know?" asked Padma. "His family has been in Slytherin for ages."

"They're also part of the black thumb conspiracy," added Luna.

"I just wish I could hear what they talk about in their common room," commented Padma. "I'll bet he brags about it to his mates in there."

Harry's eyes seemed to brighten as a wide smile appeared on his face. Hermione looked at his expression first in confusion and them horror. "We can go in there," Harry declared.

-

A half-hour later, Harry, Hermione and Padma were under the invisibility cloak with their shoes charmed to be silent. They'd wanted to bring Luna with them, but couldn't fit a fourth person, so she volunteered to watch out for nargles as she brought Harry's book bag to the Ravenclaw dorm. The cloak had been in the bag, so all they'd had to do was leave the hall before Draco and slip into an unused classroom to pull it out. They had been following Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle for a few minutes, and were glad when the Slytherins paused by a stretch of bare, damp stone wall.

"Pure-blood!" said Malfoy proudly, and a stone door concealed in the wall slid open. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle marched through it and the Ravenclaw trio hurried behind them before it could close. The arrogant blond paused, sniffed the air, and announced happily, "Much better. No mudblood's ever been in here." His two stooges laughed while Hermione grinned at her companions from under the cloak. It was hard not to laugh at how stupid bigots were. Apparently, his black eye hadn't taught him a lesson.

Harry couldn't help but look around at the long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceiling from which round, greenish lamps were hanging on chains. He noticed a fire was crackling under an elaborately carved mantelpiece ahead of them. He also saw the door that led to the special potions room he'd seen memories of at Snape's trial. There were several older couples kissing on different pieces of furniture, and Harry was happy to note that, contrary to the image Malfoy presented, nobody older than him even noticed the braggart arrive, strutting as though something was shoved up his…

The Boy-who-lived was pulled out of his observations when he heard Goyle ask softly, "Did ya mean what ya said `bout that Cravy mudblood bein' next?"

"How should I know, Goyle?" he hissed back. "I already told you that I don't know who the heir is."

"We jus' thought ya might, seein' that ya said who'd be next," said Crabbe.

"Well, I don't. Father just told me he was here, and that I should keep my head down so he can get on with it. I just said that because I still can't believe that mudbloods are allowed here." He sat down on an easy chair as he looked at his companions. "If I really had my choice, the next mudblood attacked would be Granger, and she wouldn't be petrified. She'd be killed."

Harry's face turned red and he looked ready to murder. Padma put a hand over his mouth while Hermione held his wrists to prevent him from doing anything rash - like throw off the cloak and pound Malfoy's face into the floor. He took a deep, silent breath and nodded, signaling the girls that he'd calmed down. One of the kissing couples got up and walked toward the door, hand in hand. Harry had an idea of where they were going and what they'd be doing. He used to think that was completely gross, but now he wasn't so sure. He felt Hermione's hand push him slightly, and realized that the girls wanted to follow that couple out the door. Seeing no reason to stay there now that they knew Draco wasn't the Heir of Slytherin, he complied and they made it to the Ravenclaw common room with no problems.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

Many things are different in this story, including that Draco and his buddies went home for Christmas, unlike in CoS. I think they stayed at Hogwarts in the book just so they'd be there to see Hermione's corpse when she got attacked. However, in this story, Hermione wasn't staying behind, so the Slytherins didn't have a reason to, either.

Sorry it's such a short chapter, but I felt that this was a natural breaking point.

-->