Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 21 - The Quidditch Cup

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT!" shouted Cindy McGonagall through her mirror at Harry. Both he and Aunt Minnie had put off telling his parents about the Chamber of Secrets business, but the truth had finally come out in a conversation between his mom and his aunt a few minutes before. Harry hadn't even gotten any warning before his mom called him. She had just finished allowing him to explain his side of the story. He was currently alone in C.A.R.E. headquarters. "You could've been killed! You promised not to use that cloak to get in dangerous situation!"

"No, I didn't," answered Harry. "I promised not to use it to go somewhere students weren't allowed. I did not wear it in the Chamber of Secrets."

"That's just a technicality," she countered. Harry noticed that her face was getting pink.

Standing his ground, Harry responded calmly, "If I hadn't done it, then Ginny Weasley, an eleven-year-old girl, would be dead right now, and a younger version of Voldemort would be back. He'd have probably attacked the school from the inside and killed every muggle-born here. He'd probably have included me in that number. I'm not going to apologize for saving lives."

His mom took a deep breath, obviously trying to calm herself. "I understand that you didn't have time to call anyone else, and I suppose it was the right thing to do, but you could have easily been killed. Promise me you won't do that again."

With a cheeky grin, Harry said, "I promise I won't follow a possessed Ginny Weasley into the Chamber of Secrets ever again."

Making a face at her son, Cindy rebutted, "Promise me you won't purposely go into dangerous situations again."

Harry sighed. He knew he couldn't lie to his mother properly. "I can't promise that." His mom opened her mouth to reply, but he cut her off. "I do promise that if I can, I'll get proper help. However, in that situation, I didn't have time. It was our one chance and I took it, and I don't regret it."

She sighed. "I wonder if that's just part of being Harry Potter. Aunt Minnie said there was a prophecy about you and Voldemort."

"I doubt that. Unless it says something like, `The Dark Lord won't leave Harry Potter alone until one of them kills the other,' then I think it's just coincidence."

His mom giggled for a moment. "I suppose not."

"Then we're alright," said Harry. "I'm not in trouble?"

"I guess not, but please, please be careful for the rest of the year."

"Okay," agreed Harry. "Bye."

"I love you," she said.

"Loveyoutoo," he muttered before deactivating the mirror.

He had just put it back in his pocket when the door opened. The last person he ever expected was standing there with large glasses that made her eyes look huge and shawls. Harry faintly detected the aroma of cooking sherry in the air. He knew who she was, but before he could say anything, she focused on him with an obviously fake vacant expression on her face. "My dear boy, the inner-eye has told me that that you are about to make a grave mistake. It has shown me that you possess the sight, but are considering letting this precious gift go to waste." She sighed in a melodramatic way, putting her hand on her forehead before continuing. "I see that someone in your family has turned you away from the noble art, but you must see beyond her prejudices and realize that she only doubts because she envies your gift granted by fate and wishes your soul to be as dry and shriveled up as hers."

Harry didn't know whether to burst out laughing or to take offense at the jab Trelawney had taken at his aunt. Instead, he decided to go with the truth. "In other words, Professor LaVelle has informed you that she thinks I have that gift and you're trying to persuade me to sign up for Divination." Deciding to be friendly, he added, "It's good to meet you, by the way, Professor Trelawney." He stood up and offered her his hand.

She nervously shook his hand with both of hers as she said, "Dear boy, I have foreseen that you and your loved ones will be in grave danger and won't be warned of it unless you learn to channel your inner eye and have merely come to offer my services to begin your instruction in the noble art next year." She looked at him closely, as though examining him. "Your aura is pulsing. You need to learn to use your great gift. With proper instruction, you could almost be as great a seer as I."

Controlling his expression so that he wasn't smirking at her, he responded in a most serious tone of voice, "But you've also foreseen that I won't be taking the class either, haven't you."

"Your future is clouded," she rebuffed. "You yet have time to turn away from your grave error. I shall leave you to contemplate your future, dear boy." With that said, she turned around and walked away. Harry got up and looked out the window, and once the Divination Professor was well out of earshot, he started laughing. He couldn't wait to tell his friends about this.

-

All Harry's friends and family were amused at Trelawney's attempt to get him to sign up for her course, although Hermione seemed a bit disillusioned about the subject, or at least that professor, after hearing the story.

"She actually pretended that she'd perceived that you had the gift?" Hermione clarified.

"Exactly. She wouldn't just admit that LaVelle told her so. She told about how not taking the course would be a dreadful mistake."

"Maybe I won't sign up for Divination," Hermione muttered.

"I know I'm not. Even if I'd planned on it before - which I didn't - I wouldn't now because she'd put a lot more pressure on me since I'm supposed to have the gift." He then paused. "Hold on. You were actually planning to sign up for that course?"

"Yes," she replied. "I was going to sign up for all the courses."

He stared at his best friend for about ten seconds. "You do know that there's a limit to how many classes we can take, don't you? I'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures, Arithmancy and Ancient Runes, and that's the most elective courses you're allowed."

"But I'll still want to take Muggle Studies," she argued.

"We've helped teach Muggle Studies," he replied in exasperation.

"But…"

"You can buy their book and take the O.W.L. in fifth-year without taking the class, Hermione. That's what I'm planning to do. It should be quite easy for anyone who's lived as a muggle."

She sighed, looking defeated. "I suppose you're right."

He grinned. "Of course I am. Besides," he added, "in order to attend all those classes you'd have to find a way to be two places at once."

-

It was a few days later that the preparations were completed for the prank on Draco Malfoy. It involved finding out the scheduled lessons in Herbology and brewing a particularly difficult potion, not to mention Harry's wonderful cloak.

Normally, Draco Malfoy would show up in the Great Hall for breakfast at about the same time as Harry, Hermione and Padma. However, this particular Tuesday morning, Padma arrived alone - or so it appeared. With his shoes silenced and under his cloak, Harry walked in the room right behind her. Hermione was preparing her portion of the prank. Harry sneaked over to the Slytherin table, right behind where Draco was sitting. He was holding a vial with a liquid the same color and texture of pumpkin juice and was waiting for the right moment.

Suddenly, there was a loud noise at the main entrance. Everybody except Harry turned to watch the magical fireworks Hermione had charmed flying around. Harry's hand became visible for about 5 seconds as he poured the contents of his vial into Draco's drink. He then sneaked out of the hall and up one flight of stairs. He ducked into a bathroom and pulled off his cloak, stuffing it in his schoolbag inside a special hidden pocket he'd made for that purpose with Hermione's help. That way, if he ever got searched, they wouldn't find his prized family heirloom. He then went to the sink and wet his hair so to create the right appearance - like he'd just gotten out of the shower. He ran out of that room, down the stairs and into the Great Hall, arriving about ten minutes before breakfast was over.

While panting a bit, he sat down between Padma and Hermione (who'd arrived right after he left). "Overslept," he declared loudly enough so that most of the people around him could hear. "Did I miss anything?" he asked with an innocent expression as he piled food on his plate.

While he was eating as fast as he could, Padma answered, "I was just telling Hermione that someone set off a few fireworks just before she got here."

"I was in the library," Hermione said, "and lost track of time."

"Probably Fred and George," he said between bites. "I'm sorry I missed that."

"Me, too," said Hermione.

Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table to see that Draco had just finished his glass of pumpkin juice. Phase one was complete.

-

It was actually very difficult for Harry to concentrate on Transfiguration right after breakfast, even while observing Padma staring admiringly at Assistant Professor Matthew Shapon as he went through the lesson on turning small animals into footrests. Most of the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor class had been loaned a gerbil for the lesson, but Harry noticed that a few, like Ron Weasley, had brought their pets. Harry and Padma were able to change his gerbil on the second try, while Hermione took only one try. Neville got it the third or fourth try, but by the end of class, all that it seemed Weasley had accomplished was stretching out his rat to the shape of a Frisbee, obviously terrifying it. The poor thing had even peed on Ron in the process, causing him to yell in shock, losing a point from Gryffindor.

Finally, class got over and they marched to the greenhouses for Herbology with Slytherin. Harry was looking forward to this class, and his reason had nothing to do with academics. The trio went to a table with Michael Corner for the practical lesson.

"Why are you three looking at the door?" he asked a minute after they sat down.

Harry looked at him with an innocent expression. "No reason. We're just being observant."

Padma added, "You should be observant, too, especially of Malfoy when he starts pruning his Abyssinian shrivelfigs."

With a mischievous grin, Michael said, "I'll do that."

No sooner had he said that when the object of their discussion strutted into the classroom flanked, as usual, but Crabbe and Goyle. Harry had to stop himself from laughing too soon. As predicted, Sprout told them to start pruning the new plant. Being very visible, Harry, Hermione and Padma got up and walked toward the Professor.

"May I help you?" she asked.

"Yes," said Hermione. "We had a question about…"

While the trio was standing next to Professor Sprout, Draco Malfoy was grabbing an armful of withered stalks before suddenly dropping them and yelling, "Wha…." While everybody in the room watched, his skin turned green and his hair turned into leaves. Small apricots budded from his fingernails and his nose morphed into a banana.

The whole class burst out laughing, although Crabbe and Goyle stopped with one glare from their leader. It was obvious that even Professor Sprout was having a hard time not laughing as she said, "You will all continue working while I escort Mr. Malfoy to the hospital wing. Miss Granger, you're in charge."

Malfoy stayed that way for two days. Although no one ever accused the trio, Aunt Minnie winked at Harry the next time she saw him.

-

Time continued to press forward, and before he knew it, Harry was sitting in the Quidditch stands with the Ravenclaws in their study group. It was the eighth of May, and Gryffindor would be playing Hufflepuff.

"Welcome to the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff!" announced Lee Jordan happily. "Of course, no matter what happens Gryffindor will be in the final match next month. Sorry, Professor. Here comes the Gryffindor team." Harry joined in the cheering as Lee continued. "Captain and Keeper - Oliver Wood! Those unbeatable Beaters - Fred and George Weasley!" Harry cheered loudly for his friends. "The Chasers - the lovely Angelina Johnson, who still won't go out with me. Sorry, Professor. Katie Bell, and replacing Alicia Spinnet in his debut game - Dean Thomas. Finally, Gryffindor's undefeated Seeker - Ginny Weasley!" Harry and his friends cheered once more. He had been concerned about her since the Chamber incident, but she seemed to have bounced back, and was smiling brightly as she flew to her position.

The Hufflepuff team was announced, including the Seeker - Cedric Diggory. Harry watched the two captains shake hands. The Hufflepuff captain was a seventh-year, and the rumor was that Cedric would most likely be the new captain next year. The balls were released, and the game began.

"Angelina Johnson has got the Quaffle. She flies under Cadwallader and passes to Katie Bell. She approaches the goals. She shoots. It's good! Gryffindor leads ten-nothing!"

Harry cheered before turning his attention to the two Seekers when Hermione observed, "Ginny looks very small next to Cedric."

"But she looks a lot more determined," commented Padma.

"Actually," said Harry, "her smaller size gives her an advantage over Diggory."

"That explains why you get the Snitch then," teased Hermione. Harry stuck his tongue out at her and turned his attention back to the Seekers. They were both hovering around the field in search of the evasive tiny golden Snitch.

Harry's attention was drawn away from them when he heard Jordan say, "Katie passes the Quaffle to Thomas - who drops the ball! Hufflepuff Chaser Wayne Hopkins caught it and is heading toward the Gryffindor goals. I hope Wood is ready for him. Sorry, Professor." Harry was one of the few people at Hogwarts who knew that secretly, his aunt enjoyed the way that Lee would show bias toward Gryffindor, and that she wasn't really mad at him. She just had to maintain her image of being strict.

"Parvati says that Dean was just recruited for the game a few days ago," commented Padma. "Wood doesn't have a reserve team that practices, so I can't blame Thomas for not being very good."

Harry nodded and watched as Hopkins was about to shoot the Quaffle toward the goal. Oliver was ready for him. Instead, Wayne threw the ball over his shoulder to Cadwallader, performing a perfect reverse pass just before a Bludger sent by Fred or George hit him. Cadwallader then threw the Quaffle through a hoop before Wood realized he had the ball.

"That was another lucky shot!" declared Lee Jordan while the Hufflepuff supporters were celebrating loudly. "The score is now sixty-twenty, in favor of Hufflepuff." Harry wondered how even Lee could believe that move was accidental. The Puff's had obviously been practicing, and at the same time, the Gryffindor Chasers were no longer a well-oiled scoring machine without Alicia Spinnet.

The game went on for another hour, with Dean Thomas' fumbles, combined with the Hufflepuff's hard work causing the point spread to keep widening. The score was 210 to 50 in Hufflepuff's favor when Lee announced, "It looks like Ginny Weasley has seen the Snitch!"

Harry knew it was true. He could see it now, and had seen it about a half-hour before, but he was the only one. Ginny had seen it before Cedric and was therefore ahead of him. She reached out her hand and Jordan announced, "Weasley has caught the Snitch, but Hufflepuff wins."

"He sounded sad when he said that," commented Luna. "There must be Wincrupts hovering above his head."

"That must be it," replied Harry. "Either that, or he's not happy Gryffindor lost the game."

Luna looked introspective. "I suppose that's a possibility."

-

The next day, Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Neville were walking in the halls of Hogwarts toward the library. They'd just left the rest of the study group in C.A.R.E. Headquarters listening to music.

"You did a good job in the game yesterday, Ginny," said Harry.

"Thanks, but we still lost."

"That wasn't your fault," said Neville. "It was Dean's."

"The point is that you got the Snitch," said Hermione.

She shrugged her shoulders. "I suppose. Either way, we'll be facing each other for the final game, Harry."

He grinned at her. "And then you'll prove that you're the second-best Seeker in the school."

She frowned, but before she could say anything, a slightly nasal voice came from behind them. "Well, if it isn't the mudblood, son-of-a-squib, squib, and psycho," said Draco, indicating Hermione, Harry, Neville and Ginny respectively. He was flanked by Crabbe and Goyle, as usual.

Harry touched his mirror and whispered, "Minerva McGonagall," before turning around. "I thought I already taught you a lesson in manners, Malfoy. Do you need a refresher?"

Draco snorted as though that were a joke. Dumb and Dumber laughed. "You're the one who gets in trouble. Your stupid aunt wants to make sure no one thinks she's showing favoritism. She should realize that a filthy son-of-a-squib needs all the help they can get."

Harry glared at his nemesis, while whispering the command to release a wand into his left hand - just in case. He kept it out of sight as Draco turned to Hermione. "Well, filthy mudblood, do you think you can do anything to me? Father says he should use his influence to have mudbloods, squibs and their children kicked out of Hogwarts."

Hermione said, "That is the only way you'd be a top student," causing Harry, Ginny and Neville to laugh.

Ginny said, "If squibs are kicked out, then you'll be the first three to go."

Draco glared, but before he could answer, Harry asked, "Isn't your father busy with his elf-abuse problem?"

"No, you filthy Squib-spawn! We've got new elves now, but it cost a lot of money, and we're going to take it out of your hide." Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle drew their wands, although the latter two were holding the wrong ends and pointing the handles at Harry's friends.

"You'll do no such thing!" shouted Headmistress McGonagall from behind the Slytherins. "One hundred points from Slytherin! I will NOT tolerate prejudiced behavior at this school!" Harry grinned when he saw her standing next to Lucus Cleanaway, the man who'd been doing Filch's job ever since he'd been petrified. His long, blonde hair was in a ponytail and his moustache was as bushy as ever. He looked very angry and was glaring at Draco. Harry knew the man was strict and was very prejudiced against bigots.

"Your nephew's been threatening us," countered Malfoy.

"We've been observing your entire conversation, Mr. Malfoy. I'll take another ten points for lying." She turned to Crabbe and Goyle. "All three of you will serve a week of detentions with Mr. Cleanaway, cleaning toilets the muggle way!"

"But…" argued Draco, looking angry. "When my father hears…"

"Perhaps I should give the whole board of governors, not just your father, a copy of our memories of this event," she interrupted. "Then they can decide what to do with you. I will NOT tolerate you starting trouble anymore, and would be more than happy to expel you if I catch you behaving like this again. Is that clear?"

Draco's ears were pink. "Yes, ma'am," he hissed. "May I go?"

"Yes, Mr. Malfoy. Mr. Cleanaway will pick you up from the Slytherin dormitory later tonight.

Once the Slytherins were gone, Minnie said, "Alerting me through your mirror was an excellent idea. Five points to Ravenclaw."

-

When the 30th of May arrived, the mandrakes were finally mature, so Professor LaVelle made the potion needed to revive all of the basilisk victims. While most were happily reuniting with their friends, Mr. Filch was packing, while telling Mrs. Norris how unfair the Headmistress was in firing him so that some wizard can wave his wand around the castle - never getting it truly clean. He was even overheard mentioning how he'd like to hang the whole McGonagall family by its thumbs before walking out the door. Although they wondered what Filch would do now, most of the students - including Harry - couldn't help but cheer when they realized they'd never have to put up with Filch and Mrs. Norris again. Brianna told him that she was happy she'd never have to meet the man if he was half as foul as her brother had described. "It sounds like you and Aunt Minnie have really cleaned up the school for me," she commented. "Now I'm looking forward to going this year."

-

The next week passed quickly, with all the Quidditch practice that Michelle put the team through. From what Harry heard, the Gryffindor team was on the pitch whenever the Ravenclaw team wasn't. Both were preparing for the match that Saturday. The next week would be final exams.

Another thing of note that happened that week was that they signed up for their third-year electives. The whole trio signed up for Care of Magical Creatures, Arithmancy and Ancient Runes. They also finished the Animagi book, and after looking at their final chapter summaries, Professor McGonagall agreed to give them lessons starting in September, warning them not to try anything until then.

-

"Welcome, everyone, to the Quidditch Final - Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw!" announced Lee, causing the crowd to cheer. "This match will determine who wins the Quidditch Cup. Here's…Gryffindor! Captain and Keeper - Oliver Wood! Chasers - The lovely Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet and Katie Bell - together again! Sorry, Professor. Those Unbeatable Beaters - Fred and George Weasley, and their sister - Seeker Ginny Weasley!"

The crowd cheered loudly, and when the applause had settled, Jordan announced the Ravenclaw team and mentioned that both Seekers were undefeated, but that would change this match. This time there were no reserves playing, so Hermione was on the bench in her uniform, sitting next to Cho and cheering the team on.

It was a brutal match - not from cheating like Slytherins, but from how everyone was playing. Every person out there wanted the Quidditch Cup - that much was obvious. Harry knew this was Michelle's last year at Hogwarts, so she wanted it more than most. She, along with Roger Davies and Sean Bradley, were working together as a well-oiled scoring machine against Gryffindor's equally well-oiled scoring machine of Katie, Alicia and Angelina. Both sets of Beaters were giving their all, but Harry hated to admit that the Weasley twins were just a bit better than the ones on his team. He figured it had something to do with them being twins. He hovered above the pitch in search of the Snitch, knowing that the game may very well come down to the Seekers. He found himself near his rival - Ginny.

"It's about time we got to play against each other," she commented.

"Yeah," he agreed while still looking around the pitch. "It'll be fun grabbing the Snitch right when you think you have it."

"In your dreams," she said. "We may be friends, but I am not letting you win."

"Who said anything about letting me win?" he asked, looking offended. "I'm going to beat you fair and square, and then everyone will know that you're the second-best Seeker at Hogwarts."

"Keep telling yourself that," she said, sounding like she was talking down to him. Instead of responding, Harry's face took on a look of concentration and he dove toward the ground. Ginny followed him, amazed that she could keep up with his newer broom.

"It looks like McGonagall has seen the Snitch!"

Harry had a grin on his face as he performed the Wronski Feint, making sure not to go so fast that he'd pull up before Ginny reached the ground. However, about half-way down, she stopped and started speeding toward Gryffindor's hoops.

"Was McGonagall trying to fool Weasley? If he was, it's backfired. I think she's found the Snitch!"

Harry heard that and immediately pulled up and pushed his broom to the limit, heading in the direction she was going until he passed her. He was almost to the hoops when he realized that he couldn't see the golden ball anywhere. He turned around to see Ginny hovering above the pitch, laughing at him.

While he flew back into his searching position, Lee said, "It looks like Weasley was pulling a feint of her own. Good one, Ginny! Sorry, Professor." Harry muttered a few words his aunt wouldn't approve of as he tried ignoring the smirk Ginny was giving him.

At this point, the score was 60 to 80, in favor of Gryffindor. Fred and George had stopped a few of Ravenclaw's Chasers with well-timed Bludgers. Both Keepers were good, but so were all the Chasers. Harry watched as Alicia stole the Quaffle from Roger, only to have it stolen back by Michelle.

Finally, Harry spotted the Snitch on the other side of the pitch. He glanced at Ginny, who was closer, and saw that she'd noticed it as well. He decided that it was time to see just how good his broom was as he accelerated toward the winged-ball, starting at the same moment as Ginny.

"I don't think this is a feint," announced Lee. "Whoever catches the Snitch will win the Quidditch Cup for their team. McGonagall is gaining on Weasley. Will she reach it in time?"

Harry heard Oliver yell for Ginny to elbow him when her fingertips were a few feet from the Snitch. She did, causing what would probably become a bruise in his right arm, but slowed down in the process. Harry managed to get past her and grabbed the Snitch, pulling it out of the air just before the Weasley girl reached it. The crowd went wild as he threw his hand in the air.

Lee didn't seem very enthusiastic when he announced, "Harry McGonagall has caught the Snitch. Ravenclaw wins the cup."

While he was flying toward his team to celebrate, he noticed Ginny fly to her captain and start telling him off for suggesting she elbow Harry. She was obviously sure that was the only reason she hadn't caught the elusive ball. He had to admit that it looked funny to see a tall 6th-year cowering away from a short 1st-year.

He found himself suddenly engulfed in a hug that lasted a second. He finally realized it was Michelle when she left to hug someone else. He then noticed a member of the reserve team flying toward him and prepared for the hug this time. Hermione held the hug for about five seconds, and when she let go, they both were blushing and looking down.

"G-Great catch," she muttered before flying off toward the others. He did the same. Before long, the whole team - reserves included - was in a huge group hug. When they separated, the captain flew toward Aunt Minnie. There were tears in Michelle's eyes when she took the cup from the Headmistress. He noticed Professor Flitwick nearby jumping up and down like a maniac, all dignity forgotten.

Before he landed, Ginny approached him on her broom, looking calmer. She held out her hand to him. "You beat me fair and square. I guess no one won our bet."

He shook her hand while responding, "I think you would've gotten it if you hadn't listened to that Keeper, too."

"I'll know better next year," she said before flying away toward her changing room. There was a party in Ravenclaw Tower that night.

-

Exam week went well, without any surprises for the study group. Without Snape cheating, Slytherin got the lowest house points and Ravenclaw won the House Cup in addition to the Quidditch Cup. On the last day of term, Aunt Minnie told Harry, "I have managed to acquire a dozen tickets for the August 9th match in Le Mans between the Quiberon Quafflepunchers from France and the Sweetwater All-Stars from Texas. I've spoken to your parents as well as your closest friends' parents. Our family, the Grangers and the Patils, including Parvati from Gryffindor, are going."

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->