Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 24 -Dementors, Boggarts and Seers - Oh My!

"Expecto patronum!" exclaimed Harry for the sixth time in the last hour. It was the second day of Patronus lessons, and he was in the common room at McGonagall Manor with Hermione, Padma, Brianna and Aunt Minnie. So far, none of the students had gotten any results, no matter what memory they used. Harry had tried concentrating on birthday parties, Quidditch matches, trips to Six Flags, finding out he was magical and seeing his parents after a semester at Hogwarts, but none of them worked. This time, he focused on the Sorting Hat announcing he'd be in Ravenclaw, the same house that Hermione had been sorted into moments before. For a split second, there was a white flash from his wand.

"That's very good, Harry!" said Minnie. "Very good, indeed."

"Yeah," said Brianna sarcastically. "Now you have an alternate spell to Lumos." The girl's wand lit up from the light spell, which she'd learned previously at the American magic school.

"Ha Ha!" grumbled Harry, before trying again. Although he wouldn't admit it out loud, he had realized that thoughts of Hermione seemed to be more powerful than other, so he remembered her hugging him when his family arrived in England just over a week before. Subconsciously, he glanced at the object of his recollection, but was only noticed by Hermione, who said nothing while her eyebrows furrowed for a moment as Harry said, "Expecto Patronum!"

This time, a white, misty shield seemed to come out of his wand and lasted for about five seconds before fading. Harry noticed that holding it was draining. He was starting to sweat, as well as pant, with the effort. "Excellent!" proclaimed his aunt just before Harry dropped his wand, clearly exhausted.

He was bending over to pick it up when he heard his best friend repeat the same incantation he had, with identical results. "Well, done, Hermione!" he said between breaths.

"You, too," she replied just before her shield faded.

Harry could see that she was just as drained as he, so he suggested, "Maybe we could take a break."

"Yes," agreed Minerva. "You two have probably done all you can for the day. Good job, both of you. Take the rest of the lesson off, while the other two keep trying."

The two friends walked into the library that Hermione always insisted on visiting whenever she was in this house and were looking at the books, trying to decide what to read when a pecking noise got their attention. "It looks like someone's sent a letter," commented Harry needlessly as he walked toward the closed window and welcomed a rather unusual owl with huge blood-shot eyes that looked slightly out of focus. It was a rather petite brown owl, but along with a rolled up scroll, it carried the scent of cooking sherry as it flew in a slow, erratic, zig-zag pattern, finally hovering in front of Harry's face and slowly sticking its right leg out.

Harry untied the scroll as he called, "Blinky."

"Yes, Master Harry," the elf said after popping into the room.

"Could you bring an owl treat for this bird?"

"Yes."

Before the elf disappeared, Hermione added, "And maybe something to sober the poor thing up."

Blinky popped away and returned about ten seconds later. "This owl treat is being dipped in sobering potion." Harry could see that it was in fact dripping with something as he took the owl treat. He was actually surprised that the owl ate it, but it did. He grinned when its eyes got a bit more focused before it flew off.

After both the owl and house elf were gone, Hermione asked, "Who would get an owl drunk?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "I'd guess it was Professor Trelawney."

She looked offended. "I know you don't think much of…"

"I was right," Harry interrupted. "The note's from her."

"Maybe the owl accidentally got into her stock," Hermione mumbled as Harry read his note.

Dear Mr. McGonagall,

The fates have informed me that you are still in grave danger of making a horrible mistake, despite my earlier warning. I sense that someone close to you, that you admire, has turned you away from the noble art of Divination with blasphemous lies. This person has not been blessed with the great gift as you and I have been, and therefore denies that the gift exists out of jealousy.

You have been gifted with the Sight and should not allow others to force you to turn your back on this privilege and responsibility. I fear that if you do not sign up for Divination, that you will regret it. Without this important instruction, the crystal ball has shown me a Grim in your future.

With love,

Professor Sybil Trelawney,

Great-Great-Granddaughter of the great Seer - Cassandra Trelawney

Harry couldn't help bursting out laughing. "She is soooooooo full of crap!" He handed his companion the letter as he continued his uncontrolled mirth.

"She really is laying it on a bit thick, isn't she?" Hermione said with no emotion.

"A bit thick?"

"She even insulted her boss - your aunt - in this letter."

"I know," he said, still smiling. "Do you suppose I should reply?"

"I guess it's only polite," said Hermione thoughtfully.

"New Sparks," Harry muttered, summoning his wand from its holster. "Accio, parchment." Once a fresh role of parchment flew to his hand from his room, Harry summoned a pen and began his response.

Dear Professor Trelawney,

I appreciate your advice, but have decided not to pursue mastery of the subject of Divination, as I'm sure you already know. Although my aunt lacks appreciation for your subject, she has never spoken rudely of you, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't make not-so-hidden rude comments about my aunt. I haven't shown her the letter, but I doubt she would appreciate what you said.

This is the second time you've contacted me on the subject, and I'd appreciate it if you would respect my decision and make no further attempts to change my mind.

Sincerely,

Harry McGonagall

"What do you think?" asked Harry after showing the letter to his best friend.

"I think it's polite enough, yet firm."

"Good." He took a deep breath. "I'm almost afraid to send Hedwig to Trelawney."

Hermione was smiling again, remembering the drunken owl. "I know what you mean, but she's a smart owl. Just tell her not to accept anything from the professor and fly right back, promising an extra treat."

They walked slowly toward Harry's bedroom in the manor talking when Brianna came up quickly behind them smiling, with a tablet in her hands.

"Hi guys, I hope I didn't interrupt anything," she said with a wink.

"No Brianna. There was nothing to interrupt," said Harry irritably, not really annoyed with his sister. He was more annoyed with Trelawney and worried about his owl. He wanted to get this over with. "We were just going to send a letter with Hedwig."

"Oh," she replied. "To whom?" she inquired.

"None of your business. Go pester mom."

"That was rude, Harry," said Hermione crossly.

"I just left her, and wasn't pestering her," Brianna said defensively, ignoring Hermione's statement. She added, "I was just showing her my new poem. She really liked it."

"Then go write another poem," said Harry as he stepped into his room.

"It was about the Quidditch game we watched last week," continued Brianna, ignoring Harry's rudeness. "I called it, `That Poor Snitch.'"

"That sounds interesting, Brianna," said Hermione while Harry was ignoring them both, tying his letter to Hedwig's leg and instructing her.

"…and remember, girl, don't take anything that old bat gives you. The poor owl that delivered her letter to me had obviously been poisoned." The owl seemed to nod sagely in response.

As soon as the snowy owl flew out the window, Hermione approached Harry with his sister's tablet in her hands. "Brianna's poem really is cute," she said cautiously. "You should read it."

"Fine," sighed Harry. "Let me take a look at it." *

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

The week-and-a-half went by quickly, and before Harry knew it, he was at Kings Cross Station in Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. By now, he, Hermione and Padma could consistently put up a partial Patronus shield (not corporeal) and Brianna could get a small flash of light that would last about a second. Aunt Minnie had warned that it would be much more difficult to do that if an actual Dementor were nearby. "Watch out for your sister," said his mom, getting his attention. Their dad had been called into work the day before.

"I will," vowed Harry, turning toward Brianna. "No one can pick on her but me," he added with a smirk.

"I don't need you to watch out for me," declared Brianna defiantly.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe. Maybe not. I'll say one thing, though. If Draco tries to mess with you, I will once more kick his…"

"Harry!" interrupted Cindy McGonagall. "I don't want to hear about you fighting anymore."

"Then tell Aunt Minnie to stop calling you," he answered with a grin.

"I mean it," she said sternly. Her expression softened after a moment. She hugged him and whispered in his ear, "Be careful, Harry. I know Hogwarts is supposed to be safe from that…man who betrayed your birth-parents, and he shouldn't know who you are anyway, but please try to stay safe."

"I will, mom," he replied as he hugged her back.

"I love you," she said when they separated.

Looking uncomfortably at the ground, he muttered, "luvutoo."

Cindy smiled, knowing that her son in all but blood did love her, but, like most boys his age, was uncomfortable expressing that, especially in a public place like this where his friends were likely to see him. She turned to her daughter. "I love you, too, Brianna."

"I love you, too," she replied.

"Don't get into too much trouble."

"No more than Harry gets into," she said with a mischievous grin. "I have to get the American invasion of Hogwarts back on track."

Cindy couldn't help but chuckle and shake her head. "I want you to call me as soon as you get to your dorm tonight and tell me all about the train ride and where you get sorted."

Harry coughed at that moment, but it sounded suspiciously like, "Slytherin."

Brianna glared at her brother, but didn't comment.

"I guess we should get on the train," said Harry, causing Cindy to hug Brianna and wish them a good trip.

"Come on, sis," Harry said, determined to watch out for his sister, at least until she had a group of friends to watch out for her. "Let's find a compartment."

They boarded the mostly-empty train with their trunks and owls, and quickly found an empty compartment. After getting the luggage put up properly, Harry noticed his sister looking around the train, as though trying to memorize it. She'd seen the outside a few times, but never the inside of the locomotive.

"So, what do you think of the train?"

"It's alright," she replied before settling down. The faint blush on her cheeks indicated that she realized he'd caught her gazing at the Hogwarts Express. Her voice lowered to a whisper. "Are you sure you've got my broom with you?"

"Of course not," he said with a smirk. "You do know that according to the rules…"

"I'll take that as a yes," she replied.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said while grinning. At that time, the door swung open, revealing, "Hermione!"

"Hi, Harry, Brianna!" she said enthusiastically while doing her best to get her trunk, owl cage and cat cage into the compartment. Harry quickly got up and helped her. It started raining heavily outside just before Padma joined them, followed soon after by Neville and Luna so that there was no room by the time Ginny showed up. Her family always arrived at the last minute, so she had to find another compartment just before the train started moving.

About ten minutes into the journey, the compartment door swung open yet again, revealing Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. "Well, what do we have here?" drawled the ringleader.

Brianna turned to her brother, "Are those the three squibs you mentioned, Harry?"

"Yes," he replied, "but you forget to mention their considerably low I.Q. levels."

"What are you talking about?" yelled Draco, "and who is that first-year girl?"

"See what we mean?" said Hermione to Brianna. "Complete lack of reasoning abilities."

Harry's sister seemed to be pondering that for a few moments while scratching her chin. "They would make excellent additions to the Lincoln Park Zoo."

"SHUT UP!" yelled Draco as his face turned red. His two companions were just staring stupidly at them.

"That is a good point, Brianna. I didn't think they were good for anything, but they would fit in well at the monkey house."

"Brianna?" repeated Malfoy. "You're Harry's sister, aren't you?"

The girl glared at the boy she'd heard a lot about. "And you're Malfoy, the boy Harry has been beating up regularly."

He glared at her with contempt before saying, "You're brave now, surrounded by others, but you won't always be. You'll need to learn to respect your betters."

Harry felt that his promise to watch out for Brianna was more important than his promise to stay out of trouble. Consequently, after careful consideration, he made the only reasonable decision that he could. While his face was still turning red, he leapt up and ran right into Malfoy, grabbing each of his arms by the miniature bicep, and slammed him into a wall. Hermione and the others quickly had their wands pointed at the Crabbe and Goyle. Harry was squeezing Draco's arms while glaring in his nemesis' face with more venom than ever before. He visibly paled.

In a calm, but deadly tone of voice, Harry promised, "If you put one finger on her, if you cast one spell at her, no school rules will stop me from making you regret it. You will beg me to kill you before it's over." He then pushed the panicked-looking Malfoy out the door and released him, causing Draco to start rubbing his arms. He then looked at Draco's bodyguards. "And that goes for you, too! Now, get out before you get hexed!"

Looking at the enraged expression on Harry's face, as well as the wands that were still pointed at them, Dumb and Dumber left and Harry closed the door.

"You didn't have to do that, Harry. I can take care of myself," said Brianna.

Harry took a deep breath, calming down a bit as he sat down. "I'm sure you can handle your problems, but those goons are mine." He looked at her seriously. "If they start any trouble at all with you, I want you to tell me."

"So you can get in trouble for…"

"Exactly," said Harry. "They are my trouble, not yours." He added with a smirk, "I'm sure you'll come up with your own trouble soon enough."

"At least this time you didn't hit him," said Hermione, "so I don't think you can get in trouble."

The trip went without incident from the time Malfoy and his goons left until about a half-hour before they should've arrived at the school. The train lurched to a halt, and the air suddenly became colder. Harry noticed the window was frosting over as he heard a door nearby open. He shivered as he felt a sudden chill and noticed he wasn't the only one.

"Something's come aboard," said Hermione.

"I wonder if," said Harry before his attention was taken by their door being opened. He began to feel all his happiness drain from his body, and saw the black-cloaked figure as it seemed to look at them, although he knew this creature couldn't see. He realized that for the first time in his life, he was facing a Dementor. "New Sparks," he whispered, summoning his favorite wand, just before he began to hear a woman screaming in the background.

Despite the cold, Harry was sweating profusely as he felt more and more joy leave his body.

"Not Harry! Kill me instead!" the woman pleaded. The only response he heard was hideous laughter.

Shaking his head and trying to maintain his consciousness despite the dark creature that was towering over him, he pointed his wand. "Expecto Patronum," he managed to enunciate, and he heard three female voices pronounce the same incantation he had. The shield of dim light he'd formed was joined by two others, and the Dementor moved back a few feet so he could focus more. He distinctly heard his sister cursing faintly in the background and realized that she hadn't even produced a spark with her attempt. Harry's Patronus faded, so he quickly conjured another one before the monster could get to them.

The Boy-Who-Lived-In-Secret felt his magic drain and was panting heavily. He knew he wouldn't be able to fight the Dementor much longer. Glancing at Hermione and Padma, he could tell they were all experiencing the same problem. The Dementor moved forward again and held out its hand, swiping Harry's shield away.

"Expecto Patronum!" called a man's voice from outside the compartment, and suddenly a silver-white creature shaped like some sort of dog came charging at the Dementor from behind. Harry jumped to the side, afraid the monster would be pushed onto him, but needn't have bothered because the corporeal Patronus circled around the creature and corralled it out of the compartment.

Still very shaken up, Harry unsteadily got back to his seat. He was still panting when a wizard with shabby-looking robes and a kind face, obviously their protector, walked into their compartment. "Are you alright?" he asked with a concerned expression.

"Y-yeah," said Harry, looking around at everyone. "We are now. Thanks, um…"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Where are my manners? I'm Professor Lupin, your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. And you are?" At that moment, the teacher looked into Harry's eyes with interest.

"I'm Harry." The professor's eyes widened for some reason. "Harry McGonagall." The professor's complexion paled slightly, but he turned to the others, putting a smile back on his face.

"Hermione Granger."

"Neville Longbottom, sir."

"Padma Patil."

"Brianna McGonagall - Harry's sister."

They turned their attention to Luna, who was staring at the professor with a blank expression. "Something about Harry surprised you," she stated nonchalantly.

"What? No, I mean, Harry just reminds me someone I knew a long time ago. That's all. I didn't catch your name, Miss…"

"Luna Lovegood. But most people call me Loony."

"Only pompous gits!" added Neville.

Remus Lupin replied, "He's right, Miss Lovegood. Don't pay any attention to them." He then reached into his pocket and pulled out an enormous chocolate bar and started breaking it in pieces as they watched in silence. When he was finished, he started handing it out. "Here, eat this. It helps people recover from meeting a Dementor."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

It was about a half-hour later that the train pulled into Hogsmeade Station. It was still raining hard, so Harry, yet again, was glad he wasn't wearing glasses anymore. He still had to apply the moisturizing spell to his eyes every morning, but that was a lot better than having to walk with glasses in the rain. He wouldn't have been able to see at all. His robe was just getting soaked when something unusual caught his eyes.

Although it was a bit dark, he thought he saw some kind of huge black dog looking at the students from between two buildings. As its eyes seemed to do a survey of the students, Harry remembered what that looked like. While he was at Flourish and Blotts last, he'd noticed a Grim on the cover of a Divination book, and that's what the dog looked like. Just when he recalled that detail, the dog began looking him in the eye.

"What's wrong?" Harry jumped slightly from his best friend's words. "Sorry I scared you," said Hermione. "You just seemed to be out of it."

"I-I wasn't scared," defended Harry, "just a bit startled. I just saw a…" He then noticed that the dog wasn't there anymore. "Never mind."

"What?" she asked, now curious.

"Nothing," he said, "just a dog. It's not there now."

"Alright," she replied. "Brianna's already joined Professor Grubbly-Plank with most of the other first-years. We need to get going."

They hurried up to catch up with the group, and got there just in time to see a seventh-year with a Head Boy badge glaring at Draco Malfoy. "Just how stupid do you think I am, Malfoy?!" he yelled. "I heard every word you said to those first-years, and you are in deep trouble. The Headmistress has decided to come down hard on you bigoted idiots! Everyone who uses that foul word, including yourself and these two goons, is going to have detention with her. She'll let you know when."

It was then that he noticed a few first-year girls nearby that looked scared and hurt, and his opinion of Malfoy dropped even lower. They were obviously muggle-borns just entering a new world, and on their very first day to run across that bigot. He hoped his aunt punished them good. He was pleased to see the new Head Boy start talking kindly to the young students, and knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that Percy Weasley would never have tried to comfort those victims of prejudice, that is if he'd even bothered putting a stop to it. Harry knew that Percy simply enjoyed wearing a badge, not actually doing the job he was supposed to do. He remembered that Aunt Minnie had told him that the Head Boy was from Hufflepuff, and that his name was Patrick Furlong. She'd also told him that Penelope Clearwater was Head Girl and Roger Davies was Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain.

He grinned as the little girls ran toward Professor Grubbly-Plank, looking a bit happier. He caught a glimpse of his sister in the group boarding the canoes before getting on a carriage with Hermione, Padma and Ginny, who told them about how Professor Lupin had been sleeping in the compartment she'd ended up in until the Dementors arrived. Eventually, they made it inside the castle.

Harry didn't pay too much attention during most of the sorting, although he did clap politely whenever someone was sorted into Ravenclaw. He was anxious to see where his sister would end up. Finally, Professor Flitwick called out the name, "McGonagall, Brianna."

His sister, still looking wet from the rain, which was still going on if the ceiling of the Great Hall was accurate, walked up to the stool and put on the old hat.

"Where do you think she'll end up?" whispered Hermione as they waited.

"I don't know," said Harry. "She doesn't like learning enough to be a Ravenclaw, and I can't picture her in Hufflepuff. So, either Slytherin or…"

"GRYFFINDOR!" announced the hat, bringing a smile to Brianna's face as she joined the appropriate table. Harry noticed that she sat down near Ginny.

The rest of the sorting passed quickly, although Harry was noticing an unfortunate pattern. It seemed that every other first-year was named either Harry, James or Lily. Hermione whispered with a smirk, "It seems that a lot of wizarding families named their children after you and your birth-parents." Harry realized that it was true. These kids were the ones born within ten months of Voldemort's fall, and many celebrating families undoubtedly wanted to honor the Boy-Who-Lived and his family. One of the boys was named Harry Planter and had dark hair. How much closer could they get than that? Harry noticed his sister smirking at him when that boy's name was called, and hoped no one else noticed.

However, one person at the staff table did. He had been watching the boy since he'd been introduced. He knew it was possible that his imagination was running wild, but those eyes looked just like Lily Potter's, and the face looked similar to James' although this boy didn't have glasses and his hair was the wrong color, but just as perpetually messy. He'd have to think more about this and see if he could learn more about the boy before jumping to conclusions. The brother and sister could've simply had a bet that a lot of kids would be named after the Potter family. He was brought out of his musing by the Headmistress' speech.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, everyone. I shall make some important announcements immediately after the feast. For now, tuck in." She waved her hands and the food appeared on all the tables.

The only thing that Aunt Minnie announced after the feast that Harry didn't know about was that the Potions teacher, Professor LaVelle, would be giving a French class on Saturday afternoons to anyone who was interested in learning the language, regardless of house or year. If enough students joined, she'd split the class up into two sections. He immediately decided to take the class. Hermione said she could already speak a bit of French, but would take the class to improve.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

The next morning, Harry, Hermione and Padma were sitting together at breakfast, when Professor Flitwick interrupted them to hand out their schedules. They began looking them over quickly, and Hermione was the first to speak.

"We've got Arithmancy right after breakfast," she declared excitedly. "I was hoping to start one of the new classes today."

"I've got Muggle Studies instead of Arithmancy," said Padma. "I decided that I should learn what I can about muggles, since I wasn't raised in their world."

Hermione looked surprised while Harry grinned. "I think that was a good idea, Padma."

"I suppose so," said Hermione, "although it's a pity you won't be able to learn Arithmancy."

At that moment, Hedwig flew up to Harry with a small note tied to her leg. "Thanks, girl," Harry said as he loosened the scroll from her and offered his owl a piece of bacon.

"Who's it from?" asked Hermione while Harry quickly read his message.

"Aunt Minnie," he said quietly to both her and Padma. He leaned in closer to whisper, "Our special Transfiguration tutoring will be Sunday after lunch." He grinned as both girls' eyes lit up.

"Oooh! I can't wait!" whispered Hermione, obviously thrilled with the prospect of Animagus lessons.

"It is BETTER that I don't warn you," interrupted the last person Harry expected. He thought he'd handled Trelawney with his letter. She had her hand to her forehead to show her sorrow over the fake vision she'd just had. "But it is the burden of every great Seer."

"Professor," Harry said through gritted teeth. As funny as she was, he was starting to get annoyed. "If it's better not to warn me, then don't."

"But I must do my duty to fate, as you must as well, my poor child."

Harry put down his fork and got up, intending to leave the hall before he lost his temper with the old bat.

"I understand the appeal of running away from fate. Seeing is a great burden to bear."

"Good day," Harry said firmly and started walking toward the exit.

"But if you don't obey the fates, then you will be punished." He continued walking. "The Grim will soon cross your path."

Harry faltered in his steps for a moment at the mention of the Grim, because it reminded him of the dog he saw yesterday. He shook his head and continued walking, not even noticing the Headmistress intervening, nor his friends hurrying after him.

"Sybil, that is quite enough! Even if he weren't my nephew, I'd still say that student has made it clear he does not wish to take your class, and since Divination isn't a required subject, I'll thank you to stop harassing him."

A few seconds after Harry left the hall, Hermione and Padma caught up with him. "I can't believe that woman!" said Padma. "Why can't she just give up?"

"I think she'll stop now," said Hermione. "Did you see Professor McGonagall telling her off?"

Harry stopped and looked at the girls. "What did Aunt Minnie say?"

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Arithmancy was very interesting, and talked about the mathematical principles behind magic. Professor Vector even mentioned that in the N.E.W.T. classes, they start learning how to create basic spells. Fortunately, the professor didn't assign homework.

Immediately following that, Harry and Hermione met back up with Padma for Defense Against the Dark Arts with Hufflepuff. Padma mentioned that she saw Brianna leaving the room in a hurry to get to Charms class. Both Harry and Hermione had been worried by Professor Lupin's reaction to Harry on the train and wondered if he knew the Potters. Their worries only increased when Lupin was taking attendance and said, "Harry…McGonagall," with a pause between the names like that.

At that moment, Harry wondered if his parents should've changed his first name. He responded, "Here," and the teacher looked in his eyes once again. He wasn't using Legilimency - Harry would've known if he'd tried - but that professor stared at his eyes far too many times for comfort. Harry knew that his eyes looked like his birth-mother's, and for the first time, he regretted getting contact lenses. He should've gotten prescription sunglasses that hid his eyes instead.

The teacher went on with the attendance and then announced, "Put away your books. We'll be having a practical lesson today, and all you'll need are your wands." He then led them to the staff room, where he introduced them to a dark creature.

"Does anybody here know what a Boggart is?" he asked. Every Ravenclaw, along with half the Hufflepuffs, raised their hands. "Miss Granger?"

"It's a shape-shifter," she said. "It can take the shape of whatever it thinks will frighten us most."

"Couldn't have put it better myself," said Professor Lupin. After a few more minutes of lecturing, he surprised Harry by saying, "Mr. McGonagall, Come up here and help me with the demonstration."

Having no choice, Harry walked up to face the dark creature he'd previously read about and hoped he wouldn't have to face this soon. "Yes, sir."

"What's your greatest fear?"

Not really having any idea what it would be, he said, "Facing a Boggart, sir," much to the amusement of the class. Even Lupin grinned at that.

"Are you saying you don't know what your greatest fear is?" he asked softly.

"Yes, sir."

He looked thoughtful. "Hmm. That does complicate things. What you all will have to do is to think of a way for your greatest fear to be turned into something funny. For example, making a mummy unravel or a banshee getting laryngitis. When you have that picture in your head, you point your wand at the Boggart and say the incantation, `Riddikulus!' Good luck, Mr. McGonagall."

Harry stepped up toward the wardrobe where the Boggart had been trapped, and at the same time, Remus used his wand to open it. Harry was not at all prepared for what he saw.

In front of him, lying in the exact position Ginny Weasley had been in months before when Harry entered the Chamber of Secrets, was the dead form of Hermione Granger. She was wearing the same school uniform that the real Hermione was wearing. In fact, the only difference between the two was that the real Hermione was breathing, but this one wasn't. Harry paled as the rest of the class gasped. He heard something hit the floor, and a moment later realized he'd dropped his wand.

Suddenly, someone jumped in front of Harry, and Hermione's body morphed into a sphere of some kind with a loud CRACK. However, before Harry could figure out what kind of sphere, Professor Lupin, who Harry realized was the person who'd jumped in front of him, said the incantation, and the orb turned into a balloon with another loud CRACK and blew around the room as it lost air.

It stopped in front of Padma and morphed into a huge snake. The girl paled for a moment before saying, "Riddikulus!" and changing it into a large jack-in-the-box. The Boggart ended up in front of almost everybody in the whole class before time ran out. Hermione was the only person from Ravenclaw who didn't face it.

After class, Lupin asked Harry, Hermione and Padma to stay for a minute and informed them that he'd continue the Patronus lessons Professor McGonagall had begun on Saturday morning and dismissed them after they promised to be there.

"I wish I'd gotten the chance to face the Boggart," Hermione complained on the way out of class.

"I wish I hadn't," Harry muttered, but both his companions heard him. Hermione blushed and remained silent, looking at the floor, just like Harry.

Padma interjected, "You just weren't ready for it, Harry. That's all. You've actually seen life or death situations, so your Boggart reflected that you'd be afraid of one of your friends dying."

"I guess so," said Harry, looking up to face her.

"The Boggart just picked the girl you care about most," she said deadpan, causing Harry's face to turn bright red.

"I, I've got to go. I'll…see you at lunch," Harry said before bolting.

"Padma!" yelled Hermione.

"What?" she asked with a smirk. "I'm just telling the truth and you know it."

"Maybe," Hermione replied, smiling, "but all you accomplished was to drive him away."

"He'll be back once his face can't light up the whole castle anymore," she said defensively.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Padma was correct that Harry did show up a few minutes after lunch started, and decided to pretend that the whole `Boggart' situation had never happened. He was rather successful until a certain first-year Gryffindor girl with brown hair and blue eyes walked up to them.

"Hi, Harry."

"Hey, Brianna," he said with a grin. "Congratulations on not making Slytherin. I can't say how surprised I am."

"Ha-ha," she replied.

"I'm sure you like all those red decorations in that common room."

"Yes, I do," she replied. "Did Padma mention I had Defense first class?" Harry and Hermione nodded. "I would've waited for you guys but didn't want to be late for Charms. Professor Lupin said he was going to tell you that we're having the Patronus lesson Saturday. Did he?"

"Yes," said Hermione.

"He also said he was going to show you guys a Boggart."

"Um, yeah," said Harry, looking at the floor, causing Brianna to ask Padma,

"What happened?"

Following the embarrassing account of Harry's Boggart, along with a lot of teasing from his little sister, Harry announced he was done eating and going to Care of Magical Creatures class early. Hermione and Padma followed.

Professor Grubbly-Plank's lesson was on an Augurey she'd brought for class. It basically looked like small, underfed, greenish-black vulture and sings what sounds like a frightening wail when it's going to rain. They are rated by the Ministry as harmless, thus Grubbly-Plank felt comfortable showing one to her class of third-years. Malfoy was in this class, but didn't start any trouble.

Padma was taking this course, as well as Ancient Runes, which they had next. She informed them that according to Parvati, Professor Trelawney had told her class that Harry had `the gift' but hadn't signed up for Divination. Thus, due to this grave error, he had trouble in his future, perhaps even the Grim.

Ancient Runes was a difficult subject for Harry, even though he had read the book. He understood the concepts, but had trouble memorizing all the different symbols. Hermione promised to help him learn them.

After dinner, Harry found that Roger Davies had posted a notice in the common room that everyone that wanted to play Quidditch was required to tryout, even if they'd been on the team the previous year, and that tryouts would be Sunday Morning. After spending a few hours doing homework, he bid Hermione and Padma a good night and went to bed.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

*If you wish to read the poem, That Poor Snitch, which I credited to Brianna, it is located within the fanfiction.net reviews of the previous chapter, and was actually written by the author JustWriter2 (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/892327/JustWriter2), who also posted it at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4223835/1/That_Poor_Snitch. I find it quite amusing, and I'm sure she would appreciate a review of that poem if you enjoy it as well.

By the way, several reviewers have informed me that there were longer Quidditch games than the one described in the previous chapter. Since I can't even imagine watching a 5 day game, let alone one that lasts longer, in this story that was the longest game ever.

By the way, in PoA, Professor Lupin claimed nobody knows what a Boggart looks like when it's alone, yet in OotP, Mad-Eye Moody used his magical eye to determine that a Boggart was at Grimmauld Place from a different room. Apparently, he knows what they look like.

-->