Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 16 - October Attacks

"Come…come to me….Let me rip you….Let me tear you….Let me kill you…."

"What?" exclaimed Harry as he gave a huge jump, looking at his companions with his pale face. The voice he'd just heard chilled him to the bone. It was a voice of breath-taking, ice-cold venom. Fred, George, Hermione, and Padma looked at him strangely. They were currently inside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom preparing a prank on Lockhart. It was after curfew, and Padma was keeping an eye on the Marauder's Map while the others performed spells and set up potions where they needed to be.

"What is it, Harry?" asked Hermione, looking concerned.

"Didn't you hear it?" he asked.

"Hear what?" asked Fred.

"Is there a teacher coming?" asked George.

"No. It wasn't a teacher. It said it wanted to kill."

"Maybe it was Filch," suggested George.

"Is he near here?" asked Fred, looking at Padma.

"No," she answered, after double-checking. "No one's near here. Your little sister's wondering the corridors, though."

Fred and George looked proud and solemn. "Little Ginny's first time violating Hogwarts' curfew."

"She's growing up."

"Where's she at?" asked Harry, curious.

"On the second floor," said Padma. "Almost directly above us."

"I wonder if she pranked Lockhart's office," commented Fred.

"That would be funny," said Padma. "To be pranked twice in the same day."

They all chuckled at that and continued working, and made their way to the Ravenclaw Tower, where Padma gave the twins their map back so they could make it to Gryffindor Tower.

-

The next morning began normally, with the `golden trio' eating breakfast together at the Ravenclaw table with Luna.

"I wonder if Aunt Minnie'll be in class today," said Harry.

"I hope it's Professor Shapon, said Padma dreamily, reminding Harry of the crush his friend had on his aunt's assistant.

"I hope it's McGonagall," countered Hermione. "I have an extra credit paper to hand in, and I wanted to speak to her about it." Harry and Padma looked at Hermione like she'd grown a third eye while Luna was staring blankly in front of her while filling her mouth with scrambled eggs. "What?"

"Hermione," said Harry gently, "You are at the top of the class, and we're both over a month ahead in our assignments. You honestly don't need extra credit."

"I wanted to write that essay," she said. "I took my notes about primates from the zoo and cross-referenced it with information from a Guide to Advanced Transfiguration that I borrowed from the library…"

"That's the N.E.W.T. Transfiguration book," interrupted Padma.

"Exactly," said Hermione, sounding slightly irritated at being interrupted. "The point is that I wrote a comparative analysis about the difficulties of transfiguring various different primates into water goblets."

"I wonder if I should write a paper on transfiguring Crumple-Horned Snorkacks into Nargles," commented Luna dreamily as she put down her fork. "I understand that it is quite difficult," she added.

Harry controlled his expression to stop himself from smiling, and made sure he didn't meet anyone else's eyes, knowing he'd burst out laughing at the thought of the look on his aunt's face when she reads the title of Luna's essay. His ears had become pink from his efforts. He cleared his throat. "If I were you, Luna, I'd wait on doing any extra credit until I need it. I believe you told us you were getting E's and O's on all your transfiguration papers."

"Yes, I have," the blonde girl said, "although certain comments I'd made comparing turning a mouse into a stone to turning a triple-legged vratch into one were crossed out on my last parchment. I don't think Professor McGonagall has heard of them."

"Really," said Padma, sounding sarcastic, earning a quick glare from Harry.

"Then maybe you shouldn't mention the creatures the Professor hasn't heard of on your assignments," said Hermione.

For the first time in Harry's memory, Luna looked sad for a moment. "I suppose I'll have to. I wouldn't want Professor McGonagall to believe that I think I'm smarter than her just because I know about vratches. It might make her feel bad." Her eyes brightened for a moment. "I should also get her a subscription to the Quibbler so that she'll learn about them."

"Now that that's settled," said Harry with a grin, "I think we should be off to our first class."

-

Harry's first class was Transfiguration with the Gryffindors, and his aunt was present, so Hermione stayed after class to hand in her extra credit. Harry handed in the summary of one of the Animagus book chapters as well. After that, they had Herbology with the Slytherins, who had been much more subdued without Snape to favor them, although nothing could stop Malfoy from starting trouble.

Immediately after class, Draco, flanked by his bodyguards, approached Harry, sneering. "Hey, McGonagall, I heard your aunt is taking a personal interest in Lockhart. They were together near your precious care shack a few weeks ago. Maybe he'll be your uncle soon." Crabbe and Goyle sniggered as though he'd said something very funny.

Harry's hands closed into fists automatically. His face was turning red. "She can't stand that ponce," he said as calmly as he could while glaring at Draco. If he'd looked to his left or right, he'd have seen the concerned expressions that his friends were shooting his way.

Draco continued, "Of course, I don't know how Lockhart can stand someone as old and…"

"New sparks," muttered Harry, calling his wand to his right hand.

"Harry, no!" said Hermione, causing Draco to stop in mid-sentence. He stuck his nose in the air, sniffing around, with an expression on his face like he'd smelled something awful.

"I knew I smelled a disgusting mudblood, Granger," he said, causing Dumb and Dumber to laugh once again. "Maybe you should go back in there and beg Sprout to give you some dragon dung to use as perfume. It would make you smell much better."

At the same time, Padma was whispering the incantation for a spell the Weasley twins had taught them, while taking advantage of the fact that the three stooges were all looking at Hermione. "Nidor sicut fimus," she said while aiming her wand at Draco's midsection. She quickly put it away.

"Isn't it strange," commented Harry, who'd noticed Padma's actions, in a scientific tone of voice, "how inbreeding causes problems with the subject's senses, such as smell."

"Indeed," agreed Hermione in a haughty voice.

"They smell themselves," continued Harry, "and believe it was someone five feet from them. Let's go."

As the Ravenclaw trio was leaving, the Slytherins were just noticing a horrid smell coming from Draco. "Ewww, Draco," muttered Crabbe (the first words Harry had ever heard him speak) I think you went in your pants."

"I did n…" yelled Draco as an expression of comprehension dawned on his face. "It was them!" He pulled out his wand, aiming for Harry's back.

"Accio, Malfoy's left shoe," Harry muttered. He'd just been waiting for Draco to catch on. His left foot kicked up of its own accord, knocking him off balance. Harry stopped his spell so the arrogant fool could spectacularly fall on his backside, dropping his wand in the process. It rolled about ten feet away.

Harry and his friends kept walking while Draco shouted, "Help me up, you idiots!"

Goyle started to bend toward him, but stopped, saying, "Sorry, Draco. I just can't stand the smell." By this time, a small crowd had gathered to watch the show. They were all commenting on how repulsive Malfoy smelled.

-

During lunch, one of the Weasley twins winked at Harry from the Gryffindor table, thus assuring him that the house elves had agreed to add something special to Lockhart's and another student's meal. Harry had a feeling that his aunt had instructed the elves to obey any instructions from them to prank Lockhart. It was the only reason they'd go along with it that made sense to the Boy-Who-Lived. He couldn't wait for lunch to be over so they could get to class. This was the first time he'd looked forward to one of Lockhart's lectures. The second year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were going to get a good show.

-

"Good afternoon, class," Lockhart said with a toothy grin. He was wearing his lilac outfit that he loved so much, and Harry was glad that the clown was wearing his favorite clothes. Using his old wand, Harry inconspicuously began the prank. "It's show time," he whispered while Lockhart was doing a demonstration with that day's victim. This password began the sequence of events.

"Now class, when I, the brave Gilderoy Lockhart, was facing those twenty ghouls, did I show fear? No," he declared as he made Justin Finch-Fletchley come to the front of the class and raise his hands threateningly while pretending to be a ghoul. "I simply…ahhh Fire!" He'd noticed that a copy of Magical Me that had been on his desk was now in flames. What he didn't know was that this fire was releasing a chemical in the air that worked with the potion the fraud had ingested, and would produce a result in less than five minutes.

Lockhart, in a panicked state, ran close to the precious tome, and pointed his wand at it. "Aqua-mint!" he said confidently, causing nothing. He tried again, and a small white object that was shaped like a tear appeared in front of his wand and fell to the floor without a sound. By this time, the desk had caught fire.

Hermione pointed her wand at the desk and said, "Aguamenti," causing a stream of water to shoot from her wand, directly to the burning book, putting out the fire. It was at that moment that Lockhart had breathed in enough of the chemical.

Lockhart nervously said to his class, "Just a little, er, pop quiz, to see if…" He stopped speaking, because he no longer could. He'd transformed into a peacock.

Justin, who was still at the front of the class, touched Gilderoy's head, saying, "Profess…" He stopped speaking, because he noticed that another Hufflepuff - Ernie Macmillan - had changed form as well, only his form was not a peacock.

The arrogant Hufflepuff was now fourteen feet tall, full of white fur, with long claws and fangs. Anyone who'd looked at the covers of Lockhart's books instantly recognized that their classmate had been turned into a Yeti.

The peacock disappeared, replaced once again by Professor Lockhart. He smiled for a moment, until he noticed the Abominable Snowman standing in his classroom. His face paled as he shouted, "It's a Yeti! Run for your lives!" as he bolted for the door. Ernie, however hadn't even moved yet. The moment Lockhart's hand touched the doorknob, a huge, foot-wide, yellow streak of paint appeared down the middle of his whole body - on his hair, face, and clothes. However, the Order of Merlin recipient was so scared he didn't notice as he wrenched the door open and ran. The whole class erupted in laughter. Ernie returned to normal before the mirth had died down.

"So you see," said Harry when he'd stopped chuckling, "the actual way that Gilderoy Lockhart the Brave handles a Yeti is by running for it, leaving a room full of kids behind to save themselves."

"Maybe he's getting specialized equipment," suggested one of the Hufflepuff girls.

At that moment, an elderly wizard with short gray hair and a well-trimmed beard that looked rather strong that Harry recognized as one of the teachers, but did not know his name, ran into the room, wand brandished. "Where is the Yeti?" he demanded in his scratchy voice.

"It's gone," said Padma with a straight face. "Apparently someone thought it was funny to turn Ernie into one for a few seconds." The smart Patil twin acted like she had been annoyed with whoever the culprit was. Harry was impressed with her acting skills.

The tough-looking old man showed a hint of a smile. "Hm. Professor Lockhart came running down the hallway screaming about a Yeti being loose in the castle. By the looks of things, he's been branded a coward with the largest yellow streak that I've ever seen. I last saw him going down the stairs, probably headed outside. I'd say that your class is dismissed."

-

Harry was disappointed to see that Lockhart had shown up for dinner (in a different outfit). Apparently Professor Grubbly had caught him running away and stopped him, lecturing him on cowardice until someone from the castle informed them that it was a false alarm.

Over the rest of the week, Harry got more and more nervous as Michelle called for practice every other day in preparation for the upcoming Quidditch match between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Harry was sure that he could play, but he'd never played in front of a huge crowd before. A lot of things could happen during the game.

He found himself staring at his empty plate at breakfast time, feeling butterflies fighting a war in his stomach, sitting with his friends.

"Harry," said Hermione, "you've got to eat something."

"Yeah," agreed Padma. "or you'll be too busy looking for food to notice the Snitch."

"I'm not hungry," insisted Harry for the third time that morning. Looking for a way to steer the conversation away from his appetite, he looked at the head table. "Who's that guy sitting with Professor Grubbly?"

"I don't know," said Hermione with a grin after looking where Harry indicated, "but he does seem awfully friendly with her. He's probably here to watch the match."

"You have to eat, Harry," came a female voice from behind him. Harry turned around to see his captain, Michelle Hamilton, looking just as pretty as ever, smiling at him. Harry swallowed as he felt himself blush.

"Alright," he said, and grabbed a slice of toast and obediently took a bite, accidentally knocking over his glass of pumpkin juice with his elbow in the process. He quietly swore before grabbing a napkin to clean up after himself while Padma giggled and Hermione covered her mouth. Harry briefly contemplated the benefits of hiding under the table.

"Good," Michelle said, trying to hide her mirth. "Try not to be too nervous out there." She turned to Harry's best friend. "Hermione, don't forget that you'll have to change into uniform as well. I want all my reserves ready to fly into the game at a moment's notice."

"Of course, Michelle," she replied, still doing her best not to laugh at her friend.

As the Ravenclaw captain was walking away, Harry said, "Go ahead, laugh. I know you want to anyway." They enthusiastically obeyed.

-

Less than an hour later, Harry was walking out of the changing rooms wearing his blue and silver Quidditch robes and carrying his Lightning Bolt. He saw that Hermione was already waiting for him, holding her Nimbus 2001.

"There you are," said Hermione.

"Here I am," agreed Harry with a smirk.

"I just wanted to wish you good luck. You're playing against a fourth-year named Cedric Diggory. He's supposed to be a really good Seeker."

"Thanks for the words of encouragement," said Harry sarcastically. She opened her mouth to speak, but he put his hand up. "Don't worry. I was only kidding."

"I'm sure you'll get the Snitch," said Hermione looking into his eyes.

"Thanks."

At that moment, Michelle walked up to them. "Good. You're dressed. It's about time for the game to start. Remember, Harry, pay attention to the Snitch and any Bludgers that come your way. That's your job. Don't worry about the Quaffle or the hoops…"

"Or the hundreds of people watching," said Harry with a smirk.

"Just catch the Snitch before Diggory does. He's bigger than you, so you have the size advantage, but don't underestimate him."

"I won't," promised Harry.

-

"Welcome to the first game of the Quidditch season this year!" boomed the voice of Gryffindor fourth-year Lee Jordan. "For this game, it's Hufflepuff versus Ravenclaw!" First he introduced the Hufflepuff team, who flew in wearing their gold uniforms, followed by the Ravenclaws, starting with, "The lovely Michelle Hamilton. Sorry, Professor." As Harry flew in, he heard Lee say, "And finally, Ravenclaw's new Seeker, making his debut this game, is Harry McGonagall!" Half the crowd cheered, causing Harry to smile. "I hope he does better than the last Seeker Ravenclaw had. Sorry, Professor McGonagall."

The captains shook hands and Madam Hooch released the enchanted balls. Harry watched the Snitch for about five seconds before it disappeared. Finally, she threw the Quaffle into the air, and it was immediately grabbed by Michelle, who made her way toward the hoops.

Harry, obeying his captain, flew up above the action, systematically scanning the pitch for a glint of gold. He noticed that the opposing Seeker was doing the same thing. He flew close to Harry and called out, "Hi. I'm Cedric Diggory."

Taking a quick glance at Cedric before turning his attention back to the pitch, he responded, "Harry McGonagall."

At that moment, they both heard Jordan shout, "Hamilton scores! That's ten points for Ravenclaw!"

Harry cheered while Cedric frowned. "I'd better go to the other side of the pitch," he said, before leaving Harry.

The game went on for about fifteen minutes, with no sign of the Snitch. The score was forty-thirty, in favor of Hufflepuff. Harry was getting bored, and he noticed that Cedric was watching him. He decided to make the game a bit more interesting at the same time that Lee announced that the two teams were now tied. He picked a spot near the ground and aimed his Lightning Bolt at it, and pushed his broom to the limit.

"It looks like McGonagall has seen the Snitch, and is taking a dive for it. Diggory has also noticed, and is in hot pursuit. Both are getting closer and closer to the ground. It looks like they might crash. McGonagall pulls up about a foot from the ground. It was a feint! Diggory just avoids crashing. In fact, it looks like his broom tapped the ground as he pulled up. It's a bit wobbly. McGonagall has returned to the same place he started, and Diggory looks mad."

Harry smirked at the older Seeker, who was glaring at him. Cedric had by now gotten control of his broom. Suddenly, Harry saw a glint of gold directly between them. He didn't wait to see if his opponent had noticed it. He took off at top speed, knowing he was risking a collision.

Harry grinned as he noticed the winged ball move toward him, but then, it increased its speed, which seemed rather strange. Cedric was about ten feet behind it, but closing fast. Harry reached out his hand to catch the Snitch, but it moved away from his hand and did something he'd never heard of happening. Moving faster than Harry's broom, the tiny ball hit him in the mouth. It felt like he'd been punched by someone twice his size. He felt a tooth fall from its place as he lost his balance and began to fall. With his right hand, he grabbed the Snitch, holding it tightly.

"McGonagall's got the Snitch! Ravenclaw wins! One hundred ninety to forty!"

With his left, he grabbed for his broom, brushing the ends of his fingers against it, but not getting it. He began to plummet toward the ground.

"Oh no. He's fallen from his broom."

`I'm gonna die,' Harry thought as he fell, until someone grabbed his left hand with two hands. He felt himself slow down and then stop as he heard a small grunt. He looked up to see that Michelle was upside down, hanging onto her broom with just her legs because both of her hands were holding his left tightly. He could also see that she was struggling.

"Hamilton has caught McGonagall!" The crowd cheered, but Harry knew that both he and Michelle were in danger.

"May I offer my assistance?" asked Cedric, as he put Harry's broom under him.

When he'd gotten on it properly, Harry said, "Thanks, Cedric," and then turned to face his captain, who was now right-side-up. "Thanks a lot, Michelle. You could've been killed."

She smiled at him. "I didn't want to lose my star Seeker." She then kissed his cheek, causing his face to turn as red as the blood coming from his mouth. "Come on. Let's get you down so Madam Pomfrey can help you."

"Oh, Harry! Are you alright? You're bleeding!" said Hermione without a breath as they landed. She engulfed him in a hug.

"Not to worry. Not to panic," said Lockhart as he walked up. "I can get you a new tooth in a moment." He pulled out his wand, only to have it fly out of his hand into the hand of a fierce-looking Professor McGonagall, who was pointing her wand at Gilderoy as she approached.

"Professor Lockhart," she said sternly, and Harry realized what a scare his aunt had been through. She was actually slightly panting as though she'd run a mile. He then realized that he was panting as well. "You are not a certified healer. Madam Pomfrey will take care of my nephew. Thank you very much. You may go."

"Very well, Headmistress," he said, recovering himself. "I can see that this has been quite a shock for you. May I have my wand back?"

She held it out toward him as she said sternly, "You are not to practice healing in this school. That's Madam Pomfrey's job." As soon as Lockhart was walking away, she turned to her nephew, hugging him tightly. "Are you alright, Harry? I almost died watching that."

"I'm fine, except I'm missing a tooth," he replied.

"I'll take him to see Poppy," said Minerva to Hermione and the rest of the team. "You get back to your Common Room where I'm sure a party is about to start. You can save him some butterbeer." When they seemed hesitant, she added. "You know that she'll kick you out immediately. I'm sure he'll be healed in a heartbeat." She pointed her wand toward the pitch and summoned Harry's tooth.

-

After he'd gotten to the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey determined that in addition to his broken tooth, his left arm was slightly strained. She healed him quickly, repairing and refastening the tooth, and giving him instructions to not do any heavy lifting with his left arm. She also healed his swollen lip. He left the hospital wing alone and began happily making his way up the stairs.

"Let me rip you! Let me taste you! Let me eat you!" he heard, seemingly coming out of the walls, after climbing one set of stairs. With no one else around, he decided to follow that voice, so he ran down the hallway, determined to figure out what was causing that voice.

It wasn't long until he ran across a strange sight. The first thing he noticed was Mr. Filch lying face-up and completely still on the floor with the back of his head in a puddle of water. A mop was held tightly in his hands. From around the corner, he heard a growl and turned to see a dust colored cat with lamp-like yellow eyes and a skeletal build that he quickly identified as Mrs. Norris running toward him. He summoned his wand into his right hand for protection.

"Mizter McGonagall!" shouted a female voice with a slightly French accent. "What are you doing? What have you done wiz Mizter Filch?" She was pointing her wand at Harry. Mrs. Norris seemed to calm down.

"I didn't…" said Harry, suddenly realizing what it looked like.

"And what iz zat writing about?"

He turned to see where Professor LaVelle was pointing. In a red liquid that looked like blood, he saw the words, `THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.'

"What is going on here?" asked Headmistress McGonagall as she arrived on the scene.

"I didn't…" said Harry, but he was quickly cut off by the Potions mistress.

"All I know iz that I found him here pointing hiz wand at ze cat while Mizter Filch waz lying on ze ground like he iz now."

Aunt Minnie looked shocked. "Harry, what happened?"

"I was walking and found Mr. Filch like this, and then Mrs. Norris came along and growled at me. I pulled out my wand because I thought she was going to attack."

By this time, a small crowd was beginning to form, although most of the Ravenclaws were in their Common Room celebrating their victory. Harry noticed that Professor Flitwick was at the front of the crowd, observing in silence. Professor McGonagall read the writing on the wall and paled.

"Enemies of the Heir, beware!" sneered the voice of Draco Malfoy above the crowd. "The Mudbloods will be next!"

"Twenty points from Slytherin for the use of that foul word, Malfoy," said Minerva. "All of you students, clear the area. All but you, Harry."

"What have I missed?" asked Lockhart, suddenly showing up. Upon noticing Filch's body, he said, "I remember something similar happening in Ouagadogou, a series of attacks, the full story's in my autobiography. It's a pity I wasn't here. I know exactly the counter-curse that could've saved him."

"We'll get him to Madam Pomfrey to determine what exactly has happened to him," Minerva said as she silently levitated the Squib.

-

They silently walked back to the hospital wing, where Poppy was able to determine that Filch hadn't been killed, but petrified, though how she couldn't say. However, she did say that the school's Mandrakes could be used to unpetrify Filch once they were fully mature. After Flitwick checked Harry's wand's last spell, Minerva told her nephew that he could go, and told everyone else that he was innocent until proven guilty. He was grateful that she hadn't revealed his second wand to anyone there.

It was a slightly subdued Harry that arrived at the Common Room. He'd been accused of attacking Filch, but knew he was innocent. However, someone did attack the caretaker, and Harry wanted to know who. After telling `Al' the password, he opened the door. He felt obligated to tell his housemates that Filch had been petrified, but not about the voice he heard. However, he did tell that to Hermione and Padma the next day while they were at headquarters, away from prying ears. It was about fifteen minutes before the rest of their study group were supposed to arrive.

"Why didn't you tell your aunt?" asked Hermione. "I know that hearing voices isn't good, but she…"

"Do you think I want my aunt to think I've gone nuts?" he asked.

"You're telling us, aren't you?" asked Padma.

"But she might have to tell the board of governors or the Ministry if I tell her."

"I can't believe that Professor LaVelle thought you did it," said Hermione.

Sighing, Harry said, "It did look bad."

"I suppose."

The door swung open, and Ginny, looking a bit pale, walked inside.

"Hi, Ginny," said Harry.

"Hi, guys," she said unenthusiastically.

"Are you alright," asked Hermione. "You seem a bit pale."

"I'm fine," she said quickly. "How are you doing?"

They chatted for a few minutes until the others arrived. Harry and Hermione thought something was a bit off with Ginny, but would never have guessed what in a million years. After they were done discussing schoolwork, Hermione told them what her copy of Hogwarts, a History said about the legend of the Chamber of Secrets, which wasn't much.

When they left, Harry said he wanted to spend a little while alone playing on his Game Boy. He was in the middle of a world when the screen went crazy. There was a pop behind him and he summoned his wand, and turned to face Tribly.

"Harry Potter is still being at Hogwarts! Harry Potter should've gone home! Tribly thought her Snitch would've convinced him…"

"Your Snitch?" he said, now moving toward the elf angrily.

"And now terrible things is beginning, but it's still not too late if Harry Potter is leaving now!"

"So you know about the Chamber of Secrets?"

She now had a solemn look. "It is opened again. Oops!" She then grabbed the boom box and was about to bust it on her head when Harry summoned it away from her.

"You don't have to punish yourself! We can bring the Malfoys up on…" His voice trailed off as she disappeared yet again.

-

Harry told Hermione and Padma, as well as Aunt Minnie, about his latest visit, and they didn't have any advice for him. He spent the week doing his best to ignore the stares he was getting from people who believed he was Slytherin's Heir. Harry thought it was funny, considering that Slytherin was the only house the hat didn't consider putting him.

The Ravenclaws were on his side. They were too happy he'd won the Quidditch match to care about anything else. The Slytherins hated him, but knew he wasn't the Heir. Many of the Hufflepuffs seemed content to believe anything bad of the Seeker who beat Diggory. The Gryffindors seemed divided on what they believed. The ones that he knew personally, like Neville and Ginny, knew he wasn't guilty, but others like a third-year called McLaggen, believed him guilty and let everybody know it. Professor LaVelle never specifically said he was guilty, and actually was very nice to him. However, if someone asked her what she saw, she would tell them that he'd had his wand out and pointed at the cat with Filch's petrified body on the floor.

His aunt had explained that showing a memory of finding the body doesn't prove he hadn't done it earlier and came back. If he had a memory of someone else attacking Filch, that would've been different. She, of course, believed him, but told him that she couldn't treat him differently than any other student. However, in this case, the evidence was entirely circumstantial, and therefore no student would've gotten punished.

-

On Saturday night, Brianna called Harry's mirror.

"Hi, Brianna. How'd the trial go?"

"Oh, Jeremy Lightfellow was banned from baseball and was sentenced to three months in jail after I and about ten other people testified against him and the videos of his games were shown."

"That's good. The Cardinals didn't need magic to beat the Cubs," said Harry.

"Yes they did, but that's not the point. I met Lightfellow right after the trial."

Harry's eyes narrowed. "He didn't threaten you, did he?"

"No, not at all. He said he understood. He actually seems like a nice enough person, when he's not cheating against the Cubs that is."

"So, how are mom and dad?"

"They're fine," she said. "How are things at school? Do some people still think you attacked the caretaker?"

"Yeah," he said with a small smile, "but only the people who don't know me."

-

The next few weeks went by without incident, and Harry (along with Hermione and Padma) managed to finish another chapter of the Animagus book to turn in to Aunt Minnie. Mrs. Norris was spending most of her time in the hospital wing with Filch. Minerva had to hire someone else to do Filch's job. This particular wizard, a man with long blonde hair and a long, bushy moustache named Lucus Cleanaway, seemed strict about students obeying the rules, but didn't talk about hanging students by their thumbs. He actually managed to get the castle cleaned much more quickly using magic. Minerva told them that she had something special planned for Lockhart on Halloween.

-

The Halloween Feast was always a marvel to behold. Harry looked around the Great Hall at the decorations. Jack-O-Lanterns suspended above them by magic, a thousand live bats flying between the carved pumpkins and many flaming orange streamers swimming across the ceiling were a few of the decorations filling the largest room in the castle. The desserts were also properly decorated. Pumpkin pies with faces on them that changed expressions, bat-shaped cookies and doughnuts that looked like vampire heads were on the table. Their drinks were charmed to look like blood.

Harry was waiting with anticipation for the entertainment that evening. His aunt wouldn't give any clues as to what she was planning to do to the great ponce, who was happily consuming a cookie. He was wearing pumpkin-colored robes in honor of the holiday. Minerva took out her wand, and began casting silent spells with it under the table.

Suddenly, a loud scream filled the Great Hall, and everyone stopped eating in order to investigate. It seemed to have emanated from the center of the room. While everyone's eyes were on the empty air at that location, ten vampires appeared - apparently they were some of the bats - and began walking toward Lockhart, whose face paled.

One of them spoke in an eerie tone of voice. "You are Gilderoy Lockhart. Are you not?"

The fraud was visibly shaking. "Er, no, actually, I'm, er, his brother Barney. Yeah."

"Liar!" the vampire shouted as his clan surrounded their prey. "You have killed several of our brothers."

"NO!" Lockhart screamed, and at this point it sounded like he was close to tears.

"I'll have no more of your lies, Lockhart!" growled the vampire, now showing his fangs. "You wrote about their deaths in your book, Voyages With Vampires, bragging about how you slaughtered fifty of my brothers with one curse!"

"W-w-w-well, books can be m-m-misleading," he stuttered, sounding on the brink of hyperventilating as he fell from his chair and tried to climb under the table, only to be stopped by one of the vampires, who got between him and the table.

"You wrote them, and now you shall pay for your crime!"

"I LIED!!!!" shouted Lockhart, now crying. "I NEVER KILLED ONE VAMPIRE!"

"But they are dead, you filthy human! You're just lying to get out of your just punishment."

Now trembling and crying on the floor, he declared, "No! It was Bertha Waterberry! She did it and I obliviated her and took credit!"

The vampire actually smiled for a moment. "I wondered how a sniveling coward like you could've faced one of my kind. Is that what you've done for all your pathetic books?"

"Y-y-y-yes," he declared, too frightened to notice the shocked expressions on the students.

"Let this coward go. We don't want to poison ourselves with him. Instead, we'll feed on the children. Is that alright with you, Mr. Lockhart?"

"Y-y-y-yes!" he said. At this moment, he was fully visible to the students, on his knees with a wet spot clearly showing in the front of his orange trousers. His face was pale, and he was trembling and crying as he clumsily stood up.

As soon as he was let go, Gilderoy ran straight for the entrance hall and out the door, shouting, "Goodbye!" leaving now terrified children pulling out their wands and pointing them toward the vampires, who instantly dissolved.

Headmistress McGonagall stood up. "May I have your attention, please? Those vampires were an illusion that I created, so you were never in danger. I suspected that Professor Lockhart was a fraud, and thought that a crisis would be the best way to find out, one way or the other. I apologize for frightening you, but do not regret my actions. You will have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher next week." The whole hall erupted in cheers.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->