Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 27 - An Unremarkable Christmas

Harry and Hermione managed to eat dinner in peace after they got Brianna to go to her table. Padma was sitting there beaming but didn't say a word about their new relationship. There were a few people who pointed at Harry and Hermione and whispered, but not that many. It would've been a lot more if one of them were famous. Once the new couple was finished, they got up and walked hand-in-hand to the Ravenclaw common room, where Brianna wasn't allowed. They were sitting together in front of the fireplace when Padma caught up with them.

"I take it things went well," she said, "judging by how close you two are sitting."

"You could say that," replied Harry, trying to sound nonchalant, although the big goofy grin on his face was ruining his act.

"We are officially dating," added Hermione happily.

"I'm so happy for you," said Padma. She leaned in a bit closer to the couple. "So, have you two kissed?" The tomato-red faces on her two best friends was all the answer she needed. "You have!" she declared while they tried to hide their faces. "So, how was it?"

"Brilliant," muttered Harry without looking up. Hermione nodded in agreement.

--HP--

The next day, Harry and Hermione managed to get through breakfast at the Ravenclaw table without any teasing, but Harry could tell by looking at his sister's face (she was facing them from the Gryffindor table) that she was saving it for later. As usual, the McGonagalls wouldn't be riding the Express, instead apparating to the airport to floo to America. Also as usual, they rode the thestral-drawn carriages with other students. This time, however, Aunt Minnie rode with Brianna and her friends in the carriage ahead of Harry, who rode with Padma and Hermione.

"Well, guys, I hope you like my gifts."

"I'm sure we will, Harry," said Hermione.

"I'll bet Hermione gets a better gift than me," Padma fake-pouted. "I'm just your friend, not your kissing partner."

Both of her companions were now blushing madly, but Harry managed to say, "This doesn't bother you, does it Padma? I don't want you to feel…" He trailed off, unsure how to phrase what he was thinking.

"I was just kidding," Padma replied. "Honest. I'm very happy for both of you."

"Good," said Hermione, looking like she was thinking hard. "Now, we've just got to find you a boyfriend next term. What do you think of Michael?"

--HP--

The trio was still discussing possible boyfriends for Padma when they arrived at Hogsmeade. As Harry was helping Hermione off the carriage, a familiar voice called out, "It's about time. I thought your carriage would never get here. You are being a good boyfriend, though."

"I'm glad you approve, Brianna," Harry said.

"So, Hermione. How bad a kisser is my brother?"

The girl in question was blushing when Minerva spoke up. "Brianna! One doesn't ask that kind of question." She turned to Hermione and Padma. "Would you keep an eye on Brianna until I get back? I'm going to apparate Harry to the airport first and come back. I'm not comfortable apparating two passengers."

"Don't forget to let the new couple kiss each other goodbye," suggested Brianna, yet again embarrassing the new couple.

Sighing, Harry did go up to Hermione and hug her tightly. "You don't really want to kiss for that audience, do you?" he whispered in her ear.

"No," she agreed, "but I would if we were alone."

"I know. I'll miss you, despite our mirror calls."

"So will I."

When they separated, Harry gave his girlfriend a peck on the cheek, which she happily returned.

"That's not how you do it, Harry," complained Brianna. "Your lips have to meet."

"Not in front of annoying baby sisters."

Deciding to end the argument, Minerva put an arm around her nephew and they disappeared with a crack as Harry said, "Bye, Padma." After instructing Harry to not go anywhere, she left and returned about a minute later with his sister. They went to the magical part of the airport, paid for tickets, got in line and flooed to Chicago.

--HP--

"Harry!" exclaimed Cindy McGonagall as she wrapped her arms around her son. "I missed you!" At the same time, Mark was hugging his daughter.

"I missed you, too, mum," he replied.

"I see you've been developing your British accent," she said with a grin.

"Huh?" he asked, puzzled.

"You called me mum instead of mom," she explained.

"Oh." With a grin, he added, "Happy Christmas," with a strong British accent.

"Merry Christmas, son."

"Merry Christmas, dad. It's great to see you." Harry hugged his father.

"What's this Brianna told me about you dating Hermione now?"

--HP--

During the car ride home, Harry had to work hard to keep shifting the conversation away from his new relationship with Hermione by talking about lessons, Quidditch and anything else he could think of. However, his annoying little brat of a sister kept bringing the conversation back to that topic.

"I saw you two after that Hufflepuff game," she said while he was describing Ravenclaw's recent victory. "I could tell you would've kissed right there in front of everybody if that `Puff captain hadn't interrupted you."

"He was congratulating me," grumbled Harry. "You know, Cedric Diggory really is a good Seeker, as well as captain. Do you remember when he…" Harry mentioned everything he could think of about the Hufflepuff captain to keep the focus off of him and Hermione. As was their custom, they stopped at a restaurant before going home.

--HP--

"Hey, Harry, do you mind if we talk?" Harry looked up from his bed, where he'd been lying while playing his Game Boy. He paused it as his father closed the door.

"What about, dad?"

Mark McGonagall appeared nervous as he sat down on the chair at Harry's desk. "Well, I certainly understand you not wanting Brianna teasing you about Hermione, but, um, I thought maybe I should, well, talk with you about…that sort of stuff. Y'know, girls."

Sighing, Harry said, "I knew this would happen sooner or later." With amazing speed, Harry got his wand from its holster, pointed it at the door and said, "Silencio!" while his dad watched in amazement.

"You do that pretty well," Mark commented. "I assume that's to make sure Brianna isn't eavesdropping." Harry nodded with a grin. After clearing his throat, Mark continued. "Well, you're at the age now where…"

Although Harry was embarrassed during most of `the talk,' he did learn a lot from his father, but would never talk about it until he had a son of his own. Although he'd never admit it on pain of death, he was glad they'd had that conversation.

--HP--

The next day, Harry got to see his American friends and play at Frank's Flying Funhouse with them. Before Harry had finished greeting his old friends, Brianna told them that he was now dating Hermione. He took a bit of teasing from them, but on the whole they were happy for him, and most of them were dating as well. His friend Melissa reminded him that Brianna had told them he and Hermione were dating over one and a half years before.

He played two games of Quidditch with them (winning both by catching the Snitch), but decided against playing Quadpot when it was brought up. He hadn't really enjoyed it the previous summer and doubted he'd like it any better now.

--HP--

Christmas day was, as usual, a happy affair in the McGonagall household. The day started for Harry with a pleasant dream about Hermione that involved mistletoe. In his dream, they were standing under the festive plant and Hermione was dressed in a sexy version of a Mrs. Claus costume. They were about to kiss when she stopped and looked at him.

She looked concerned when she said, "Harry. Harry!"

He opened his eyes and saw he was alone in his room, but Hermione's voice continued to yell, "Harry!" He blinked twice and then realized what was going on. His girlfriend was doing the same thing she'd done last year.

He picked up his mirror from his desk and said, "Merry Christmas, Hermione."

She grinned at him. "There you are. Happy Christmas! I wanted to be the first to wish you that today."

Stifling a yawn, Harry nodded. "You were. Did you like my gift?"

"Absolutely!" she said, fingering a small golden heart hanging from her neck. "I love the necklace. I just don't know when you got it."

Grinning, he replied, "A magician never reveals his secrets. Did you like the pictures I chose?"

"Mm hmm," she replied, smiling. She opened the heart to show that a picture of each of them that had been taken during the summer. Although the image in the mirror was too small for Harry to see, their photographic doubles were blowing kisses at each other.

"Good."

"I just hope you like my present as much as I like yours."

"I'm sure I will."

At that point, they were interrupted by a loud knock on the door. Brianna's voice came through the door. "Harry, stop talking to your girlfriend and get out here. There are presents to open up!"

Harry turned back to his mirror. "I suppose I'd better go. She'll never stop knocking."

"That's right, lover-boy," Brianna yelled, "so kiss the mirror and come downstairs."

"I'll talk to you later, Hermione."

"Happy Christmas, again."

"Happy Christmas. Mirror off."

Harry went down to the living room and found the rest of his family waiting for him. "Merry Christmas, everybody."

"Happy Christmas, Harry," said Aunt Minnie, while the others wished him a merry Christmas.

They soon began opening presents. Both Harry and Brianna got new winter coats, along with other clothes. They also got some new cds. Harry got a few video games, while Brianna got her own Game Boy (along with a few games of her own). From Hermione, Harry got a bottle of cologne that had a note saying it was her favorite. He took off the cap and did like it, but decided to only wear it on special occasions.

"You mean you'll only wear it when you're with Hermione," said Brianna with a wink.

"That is getting rather old, Brianna," replied Harry, who by this time had been teased so much that he wasn't blushing anymore. She frowned for a moment and then opened another one of her presents.

This year, Harry didn't get any mysterious present like he'd gotten last year, but he thought he did alright. They ate breakfast and then Harry went back to his room, where he called Hermione on his mirror and thanked her for the cologne and discussed how to get revenge on Brianna for her constant teasing.

--HP--

The plan that Harry and Hermione came up with would unfortunately have to wait until they were back at school, but Hermione was able to get started on the potion part of it right away. Not having anything else to do, Harry went downstairs and played on his Super Nintendo.

While Brianna continued teasing Harry unsuccessfully, he continued imagining what was in store for her once they returned to school. Harry was able to hang out with his American friends one more time and go to a muggle movie with them. On New Year's Eve, the family stayed up until midnight. Harry had called Hermione when it was about midnight her time so they were communicating and she called him just before it turned midnight his time. Brianna once again suggested them kissing the mirrors, much to the young couple's irritation.

--HP--

The next day, the Hogwarts Express returned to Hogwarts, as did Harry, Brianna and Minerva. They arrived a few hours before the other students and occupied themselves while waiting for the others to come into the Great Hall. Harry went to the library while Brianna went off somewhere else - he guessed it was Gryffindor Tower.

The siblings were both in the Great Hall (sitting at their house tables) when the others arrived. A huge grin came on Harry's face when Hermione walked into the room. He stood up as she approached the table, all the while looking in her eyes. At that moment, nothing else existed in the world besides his girlfriend. When she was close enough, he put his arms around her, said, "I've missed you," and kissed her.

--HP--

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

I apologize for this chapter being so short. There are two reasons for this. One is that I didn't have much planned for the Christmas break and the other is that I'm going on a trip for over a week, leaving tomorrow, and I'm not bringing my computer. Therefore, you'd have had to wait another two weeks for me to add more material to the chapter.

-->