Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 25 - Friends of the Family

"Excellent. I see you're all on time," said Remus Lupin as he opened the door to his classroom. Harry, Hermione, Padma and Brianna walked in. It was Saturday morning, the day of their first Patronus lesson with Professor Lupin.

"To begin with, let's see how well you're doing so far. Harry, you first."

While he stepped forward and summoned his wand out of his holster, Remus was once again struck by how much this blond boy with an American accent otherwise reminded him of his old friends. His face was almost identical to James' at that age, except for his eyes, which looked exactly like Lily's. He was brought back to the present by the spell being cast.

"Expecto Patronum!" shouted Harry, causing a round shield of light to come from his wand.

"Good job, Harry. I'm sure that helped hold back the Dementor on the train."

"For a few seconds," he replied, slightly blushing, "but then it was able to push it to the side like my Patronus was nothing."

After the other three had demonstrated the spell, Brianna complained, "I couldn't even get that small shield up at all when that monster was in our compartment," sounding ashamed.

Remus nodded. "It is much more difficult to cast the spell when a Dementor is near, and you're all going to have to work very hard to master this spell. It's actually a N.E.W.T. level charm, so it's amazing that you've already had any success with it, especially you, Brianna. You should be proud of what you've accomplished. Now, let's see if we can't improve all your Patronuses before this lesson is over…"

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

After lunch, the four students went to Professor LaVelle's French class, which had twenty-nine students of all grades and houses. Since it was that small, she decided to keep them all in one class - every Saturday afternoon. Hermione knew everything covered in the first lesson, but still wanted to continue in the class.

The next morning was the Ravenclaw Quidditch tryouts, with Roger Davies, the new captain, having everybody earn their positions, even if they'd had them the previous year. Harry found that they went very much the way they had under Michelle the previous year, starting off with everyone flying around the pitch to eliminate a few hopefuls who couldn't fly a broom to save their lives.

Roger obviously kept his starting position, and Sean Bradley, a 4th year who'd been on the team since his 2nd year, was clearly the best Chaser candidate and would naturally keep his starting position. That left one open spot on the starting team, and the competition was fierce. Hermione, on her Nimbus 2001, gave her best, and from the stands Harry could easily see she'd improved a lot over the past year, even if she wasn't as good as Davies and Bradley. When Chaser tryouts were over, he honestly couldn't predict who would win the coveted position on the starting team, but told Hermione she'd done a great job.

When it finally was time for the Seekers to try out, Cho Chang was, yet again, Harry's only competition. She had improved over the previous year, but Harry managed to beat her to the Snitch, yet again. Since it was only the two of them, it was obvious that Harry would be a starter while Cho would be a reserve.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

As soon as the tryout was over, Harry and Hermione went to lunch, sitting with Padma, who had spent the morning doing `Muggle Studies' homework.

"How'd it go?"

"Harry was fantastic!" said Hermione enthusiastically, causing Harry's ears to turn pink.

"I was okay," he said. "I managed to beat Cho, anyway, and she was my only competition. Hermione flew the best I've ever seen her. I think she has a good chance of making the starting team this year."

"There were others better than me," replied Hermione with a slight frown.

"I think you underestimate yourself," he replied before shrugging his shoulders. "Anyway, we should know tonight what Roger decides."

"You're right," said Hermione. "There's no point in worrying about it."

"Besides," interjected Padma, who'd enjoyed listening to them discuss the tryouts, "we've got something else to look forward to today - our special lesson."

Both Harry and Hermione grinned. He said, "At 1:30…"

"In Professor McGonagall's office," completed Hermione.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

After lunch, the C.A.R.E. group met together at headquarters to study together until the trio left to meet with Headmistress McGonagall for extra help in Transfiguration. It's not that they didn't trust anyone in their group, but the Animagus lessons were supposed to be a complete secret. They walked up to the gargoyle guarding the entrance.

Harry looked distinctly uncomfortable as he faced the statue. "I can't believe Aunt Minnie went and…" he grumbled before Hermione interrupted him with a smirk.

"Green-Eyed Seeker," she proclaimed, convincing the gargoyle to move, allowing them access to the stairs. Harry's ears turned pink.

"It could be worse," Padma said. "She could have made it, `I luv my `ittle nephy-poo.'" Harry glared at her without comment as they walked. Hermione was laughing as she knocked on the door.

"Come in."

"Hello, Professor," said Hermione as she opened the door. "I must say I like your new password."

A small smile crossed the older woman's lips. "It's easy for me to remember and I doubt many people would guess it."

"Plus, it has the extra benefit of irritating me," added Harry dryly.

"There is that," she replied nonchalantly before chuckling for a moment. The girls giggled madly as Harry's face turned red. "Before we embarrass my nephew any further, I thought I'd let you know the punishment that I'm assigning to everyone who uses the vile m-word or shows blood-prejudice in another way."

"You mean what Malfoy and his goons are going to be doing?" said Harry.

"Yes, they are the first recipients of this punishment."

"So, what is it?" asked Padma.

"I've given them each a copy of the school O.W.L. records for the past hundred years. They are public records. Their jobs are for each of them to tally up the number of O.W.L.s that went to pureblood, half-blood and muggle-born students and mathematically determine their distribution - which group got more per person - and then write up a report about their findings."

Hermione's eyebrows came together as she thought about this for a few moments before asking, "What will their findings be?"

"That the purebloods have been doing more poorly with each generation," Minerva sadly replied. "Oh, certain individual purebloods have done well, but on the whole their magical ability and intelligence have been declining."

"Due to inbreeding?" suggested Hermione cautiously.

"Most likely," nodded Minerva. "Many families are so concerned about making sure their blood remains pure that they'll marry their own cousins. Misters Crabbe and Goyle are products of that." She took a deep breath, shaking her head. "So far, the Malfoy family hasn't gone beyond fourth cousins, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does in the next generation or two."

"I can just imagine Malfoy's conclusion," said Harry.

"The muggle-borns are cheating," finished Hermione.

"If he remembers to use the right term," commented Padma.

"Now that I've told you about that," said Minerva, "I believe we should get started. We all know why we're here."

"To become party animals," said Padma with a grin.

"To become Animagi," corrected Minerva, now entering what they knew as lecture mode. Padma's expression returned to normal. "This is a long and difficult process, which takes nearly two years on average. You've all read and understood the book I gave you, so one of you should be able to tell me the first step in the process, which you will begin now."

Hermione's hand immediately shot up in the air. "Hermione," said the Headmistress. "Since this is not a formal class, I don't believe that it is necessary to observe that particular protocol of raising your hand to speak."

Her ears turned pink, but she spoke anyway. "Sorry, Professor. The first step is to clear your mind in order to get tuned-in to your instincts."

"Correct. I would reward points for that answer, but we want this training to be off the record."

"Isn't that first part similar to preparing to learn occlumency?" asked Harry.

"Yes, to a point. However, that is where the similarities end. In order to become an Animagus, you must delve deep within yourself to learn your very primal nature. It will probably take several weeks before you're able to tap into that form, and even then, you won't know what it is until you successfully transform, but I have high hopes that you'll all be able to begin attempting to transform a finger by Christmas."

"A finger?" repeated Harry with a dismayed expression on his face.

"Yes, Harry," she answered a bit harshly. "I told you this will take about two years of hard work. If you haven't the patience for it, now's the time to say so."

"I'm sorry," he said, properly humbled.

"Very well. To begin…"

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Two hours later, a very mentally exhausted trio made their way into Ravenclaw Tower. Harry had honestly believed that the Animagus exercises would be easy, but he was proven wrong. It did give him an even higher respect for his Aunt Minnie for going through all of that work to become a tabby cat. However, he had made up his mind to become a `party animal' and was determined to see it through. Besides, he knew there was a prophecy involving him and Voldemort, even though he didn't know the exact contents. If it did turn out to mean he had to fight Voldemort, he wanted to have every possible weapon he could, including the ability to turn into an animal, during that fight.

"Oh, look," commented Padma. "They've already got the Quidditch roster posted."

Hermione tensed up immediately. "R-really?" she asked.

Deciding not to comment on his best friend's nervousness, he put a hand on her shoulder and gently pushed her forward. "Come on. Let's see who Roger picked." As soon as they were close enough, Harry scanned the list with his eyes.

Ravenclaw Quidditch Line-Up

Chaser/Cpt. Roger Davies - 5th year

Chaser Sean Bradley - 4th year

Chaser Hermione Granger - 3rd year

"Yes!!!" shouted Hermione before Harry got past her name, calling a lot of attention to them. When she noticed, her face turned red and she looked down, but the smile never faded.

`She looks so cute when she's embarrassed,' he thought for a moment before stopping that train of thought. `She's not cute! She's your best friend!' he forcefully reminded himself. He grinned at her and said, "Congratulations, Hermione. I knew you'd make it." He glanced back at the list just to make sure he was the starting Seeker, remembering what happens to people who assume. He smiled when he read his name.

Seeker Harry McGonagall - 3rd year

Hermione suddenly frowned. "Now, people are going to expect me to be as good as Roger and Sean. I'm going to have to put in more time to practice, but I've got to keep up my studying and…"

"Hermione, relax. All people will expect is for you to do your best." Harry smirked when he added, "If anyone criticizes you, I'll…"

"Do nothing," interrupted Hermione, crossing her arms. "Remember to control your temper."

"Good job, Hermione," interrupted Padma with a grin.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

The next two weeks went by quickly, with Patronus lessons every Saturday and Quidditch and Animagus practices every Sunday. Harry was getting a bit nervous about Lupin recognizing him for who he really was, especially after he got his aunt to admit that he had known the Potters well. The DADA teacher had subtly asked different questions about his family, and learned that Harry's family had moved to America about two months after Voldemort was vanquished. Not knowing what else to do, Harry just did his best not to call more attention to himself, hoping that Lupin wouldn't put the clues together.

Harry, Hermione and Padma were sitting at the Ravenclaw table on Thursday, September 16th, eating dinner when a first-year Gryffindor girl interrupted them.

"Hey, guess what?"

"What, Brianna?" replied Harry with a grin. He had a feeling that he already knew what had happened.

"We had our first flying lesson."

"I know," Harry replied with a smile. "I'll bet you did a lot better than the other kids since you've been flying for years."

"Exactly! Madam Hooch said I was one of the best first-years she's seen!"

"That's good, Brianna," said Hermione.

"Just remember," Harry said, with his voice lowered, "Don't get caught with your Silver Bullet, but if you do, I had nothing to do with you getting it here."

"There you are, Brianna," said another little girl in a Gryffindor uniform. She had red hair and brown eyes.

"I was just telling my brother about our flying lesson, Lily."

"That's your brother, Harry?" the girl asked.

"Yes. Harry, this is one of my dorm mates - Lily Spindler."

"It's good to meet you," said Harry with a grin. "I'm sorry about your misfortune of sharing a room with my sister," he said sympathetically. "I know she can be a real…OUCH…pain." Brianna had kicked his shin while he was talking. "See what I mean?" The girl giggled and Harry continued. "These are Hermione Granger and Padma Patil." The two girls waved at Lily.

"Did you tell him how you flew that Slytherin boy into the ground?"

"What happened?" asked Harry, now slightly concerned as his eyes scanned Brianna for any injuries.

"Nothing, just some pureblood brat who doesn't think the children of squibs should be allowed at Hogwarts, or to fly brooms. I challenged him to a little competition toward the end, when Hooch let us do a bit of free-flying and ran him into the ground."

"Did you get in trouble?" asked Hermione.

"No, I didn't make him follow me. He simply crashed because he couldn't keep up, so we all got to see a bit of his pureblood flowing gracefully from his nose into the mud, becoming mudblood."

"What's his name?" asked Harry intently.

"It doesn't matter," said Brianna, looking intently into her brother's eyes as if to say, "Stay out of it." "If he starts any trouble, I'll handle it."

"Fine," said Harry, giving in for the moment.

Lily looked between the two of them and faced Harry. "You'd beat the tar out of that boy right now if Brianna said the word, wouldn't you?"

Despite the disapproving looks he was getting from both Brianna and Hermione, he answered honestly. "Yes, I would."

Lily beamed at him. "That is so sweet! A boy ready to stick up for his little sister. Brianna doesn't know how lucky she is to have you. I wish I my brother was like you. He's a second-year Hufflepuff named George, by the way, but he won't even publicly talk to me here - afraid it'll ruin his reputation. But he…"

"We'd better get to our table, Lily," interrupted Brianna, exchanging a look with her brother as they left.

"That girl Lily sure can talk," said Harry.

"I think she fancies you," commented Padma, earning a glare from both her companions. "That's why she was just chattering away."

"Did you notice her name and hair color?" asked Hermione.

"Naturally," said Harry, rolling his eyes.

"I wonder if she'd have been named Harriet if she'd been born with black hair instead of red," commented Padma.

Harry completely ignored his friend, picking up his fork and jabbing it into a piece of roast beef.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

It was only three days later, on a Sunday evening, that for the third year in a row Harry threw a small birthday party for Hermione. Like the previous year, it was at C.A.R.E. headquarters, and all their friends attended. Harry gave Hermione a broomstick servicing kit for her Nimbus 2001, as well as a new pair of Chaser gloves. She and Harry were the last to leave Hagrid's old cabin, and just before Hermione walked out, she said, "Thank you, Harry," and kissed him on the cheek.

He stood there in shock for a few minutes, watching her walk away, absent-mindedly touching the spot on his cheek where she'd placed her lips. "You're welcome," he finally whispered when she was completely out of earshot.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

The next time they saw each other, both Harry and Hermione pretended nothing had happened and acted the same as always. The next week, the trio was on their way to Charms class, when they saw Brianna hurriedly walking the opposite direction.

"She must be running late," he commented.

"Look at that," commented Padma, who pointed her finger at a first-year boy in Slytherin robes pointing his wand behind Brianna.

"New Sparks!" whispered Harry, summoning his wand.

Unfortunately, the first-year cast a tripping hex at Brianna before Harry could interfere. It hit her in the leg and she fell forward. She was slowly getting her wand in her hand as Harry's face turned red. He took a deliberate step before a hand reached around him from behind, grabbing his chest.

"Let her handle this," whispered Hermione, who was holding Harry back.

The boy was laughing as he yelled, "You're just as bad as a mudblood, you…"

Faster than lightning, Brianna turned around and aimed her wand. "Bates Mocus!"

The greenish-yellow spell shot from Brianna's wand straight to the Slytherin's nose. He suddenly had an expression of terror on his face as he began to claw at his nose, which disgusting little yellow bats were now exiting while flapping their wings.

"Eww!" said Hermione.

"Gross," agreed Padma. "I wonder where she learned that."

"If I'm not mistaken," said Hermione, "that's the bat-bogey hex that Ginny Weasley enjoys casting."

"I've seen them together a few times," said Harry, enjoying watching the Slytherin trying to fight off the bats that were now attacking his face. "She must have taught it to Brianna."

"What's going on here?" came the squeaky voice of Professor Flitwick.

"That Slytherin attacked my sister from behind," answered Harry, "so she hexed him back. Do you have time to watch it in a Pensieve?"

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

After watching the memory, the Slytherin, whose name was Malachi Macnair, was sent to the headmistress for punishment. Brianna was very proud of herself for the way she'd handled the situation, and Harry was glad he hadn't interfered. Otherwise, he would've been the recipient of the bat-bogey hex.

The rest of the week passed quickly, and before long, it was Saturday morning, and the Patronus lesson was just about over. Harry had kept his shield up for nearly a minute.

"Good job, Harry," said Lupin.

"Thanks."

Remus looked around the room at the others. "You all did well. The lesson's over, but I would like to speak with Harry privately."

"Er, fine," said Harry, not seeing much of a choice. He exchanged a look of concern with Hermione, Padma and Brianna, but none of them said anything. "Um, bye guys."

"Bye, Harry," said Hermione while touching his hand briefly.

"See you," said Padma.

"See ya, later," said Brianna. "I've got to catch up with Lily."

Once the three girls were outside the room, Professor Lupin closed the door and turned around. Seeing Harry still standing, he said, "Have a seat, Mr. Potter."

Harry's eyes bulged out. "P-P-Potter? My name's McGonagall. You know that."

"I know that," he replied calmly, "but I also know that you have James Potter's face and untamable hair, even if it's not the same color. You also have Lily Evans' eyes. Your name is Harry and you're the right age. Dumbledore said you had a scar, but those things can be hidden." He looked Harry straight in the eyes from a foot away for about thirty seconds. "You are Harry Potter. Admit it."

The Boy-Who-Lived swallowed as he backed into a chair and sat without saying anything.

"So what happened? Did Dumbledore ask Professor McGonagall to find you a home? It would be a clever ruse to claim you'd disappeared. None of the Death Eaters can harm you if they don't know where you are."

"No," said Harry, finally speaking. "Aunt Minnie didn't tell Dumbledore."

"Really?" Remus asked, looking genuinely surprised.

"He knows now." Harry paused before adding, "Are you going to expose me?"

Remus sat down facing his student. "Your parents were the best friends I ever had. I'd never betray their son…or them." Remus' expression hardened at the end of that sentence, and Harry believed he knew why.

"My aunt told me all about Sirius Black and…what he did."

Taking a deep breath, Lupin said, "Yes, well, I won't be like him. I would like to know the whole story, though. Why did Minerva take you from your relatives? Who else knows? How did Dumbledore find out?"

"Professor," said Harry with one hand up, as thought to say slow down, "let's take this one question at a time. Did Lily Potter ever tell you about her sister?"

"Well, yes. She said they didn't get along very well, that she was terribly jealous of her magic. If memory serves, she married a thoroughly despicable fellow - Vernon Doosley."

"It's Dursley, but the rest is right. Aunt Minnie watched that family for the whole day, and came to the conclusion that they were the worst sort of muggles imaginable. I met them a few years ago and agree. Anyway, when Dumbledore tried to leave me with them, Aunt Minnie warned him not to, but he wouldn't listen. So, once he'd apparated away, leaving me on the doorstep with a note, she took me and got my parents - her nephew Mark and his wife Cindy - to adopt me. They claimed they found me on their doorstep."

For the next few hours, Harry explained the rest of his story to Professor Lupin, who then started telling him about James and Lily, going so far as to show Harry a picture of them with him in the middle. It was taken the day Harry was born. It was really the first time he'd really talked about his parents. Aunt Minnie had told him a bit about them, but she found the topic rather painful, so she didn't bring them up often. Besides, as Remus pointed out, she didn't know half of what James got up to while he was in school. When Remus mentioned the Invisibility cloak, Harry decided not to mention that he had it, since the man talking to him was a teacher. Remus was under the impression that the cloak was lost or destroyed when Voldemort attacked the Potters, and Harry decided to keep it that way.

The conversation finally ended when there was a knock at the door. "Come in," said Lupin, and in stepped Hermione. She looked a bit nervous.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to make sure that…that Harry was still here. He missed lunch and…"

"I'm sorry," said Lupin. "I completely lost track of the time. Why don't I show you to the kitchens?"

"We know the way," said Harry without thinking.

Remus looked at him for a moment before laughing. "Just like your father."

Hermione interjected nervously, "Y-You know Mr. McGonagall?"

Harry grinned at his best friend, who was still trying to keep his secret. "No, Hermione. He knew my other father." She gasped. "He's promised to keep the secret."

"Alright then," she replied. "Why don't we get you some food from the kitchens and we'll go study at Headquarters?"

"Sounds like a plan to me."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

The next month went by quickly, with Professor Lupin and Harry taking an hour out of each week to talk about James and Lily. For the first time, Harry was really beginning to think of himself as their son as well as the McGonagalls.' They were becoming more real to him, especially after Lupin gave him a photo album with copies of all his pictures of them, including the one he'd shown Harry. Harry was also getting more and more fond of Remus (as he was told to call him when they were alone) as well, and missed him when he was too sick to teach DADA during the first week of October, even though Professor Flitwick did a fantastic job substituting.

The headmistress was a bit worried that Lupin knew Harry's true identity, but was a bit more relaxed about it after she'd talked to him and he'd assured her that he wouldn't tell anyone about Harry's true identity.

Before long it was Halloween, the day of Harry's first Hogsmeade trip. He, Hermione and Padma were planning on exploring the whole town together. The three Ravenclaws were sitting together at breakfast when a voice from behind Harry said, "Hi, Harry. Since you're going to Hogsmeade, I thought I'd allow you the privilege of picking this stuff up for me."

Harry turned around to see his sister holding a piece of parchment. "What if I say no, Brianna?"

"Then I'll ask Aunt Minnie to get it for me because you're too busy to do it," she replied with a smirk. Harry knew that she had him. He'd get in trouble for refusing.

"Fine. Give me the list and your money."

After she'd complied, Brianna asked, "So, are you and Hermione gonna go to Hogsmeade together?"

"With Padma," Harry grumbled.

"Harry," his sister replied condescendingly, "That's not the way dates work. Two's company but three's a crowd. You'll have to find a way to ditch Padma so you and Hermione can…"

"We are not dating!" he said softly but angrily. "In fact, I won't even be going to Hogsmeade with her. I'll hang out with Neville."

"But you'll miss…"

"I will NOT miss Hermione!" hissed Harry, not noticing the hurt expression on his best friend's face. He got up. "I'm done eating," he declared before heading toward Neville at the Gryffindor table.

"Good going, Brianna," said Padma.

The girl seemed surprised. "But I was just…"

"Getting him to admit he won't miss me," said Hermione miserably.

"He didn't mean it," said Padma. "He's just mad at Brianna. Let's just go to Hogsmeade without Harry. He'll be calmed down by the time we get back."

Hermione got up and left the table. Padma stayed back a moment before saying, "Brianna, if you actually want them to get together, stop pushing them. All you'll do is drive them apart." Then she walked away from the younger girl and joined Hermione.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Harry spent his whole day in Hogsmeade with Neville, checking out the different shops and pretending to be happy. Every time he saw Padma and Hermione, he turned around, telling himself that he can spend one day without Hermione. They even ate lunch at opposite sides of the Three Broomsticks. The only trouble was that he'd keep imagining how she would react to the different places they visited. He knew she wouldn't be too excited about Honeydukes, because she doesn't eat many sweets. She'd love the book shop. He knew she'd recite the legend of the Shrieking Shack, with whatever facts there were about the place, naming each witness who'd admitted to hearing screams coming from the small cabin. While he was picking up Brianna's order, Harry did buy a special quill for Hermione that he thought she'd like, but told Neville that it was for himself.

Hermione kept a smile plastered on her face the whole day as she walked with Padma, but it was really difficult when she'd see Harry turn his back on her. "Don't worry, Hermione," Padma would say. "He's just being stubborn. He misses you even more than you miss him. He just won't admit it."

"I'm not so sure," Hermione replied the first time Padma said that. "Why should he enjoy hanging out with me? I've kept him busy reading most of the time…"

"When you're not at Quidditch practice with him," the Hindu girl replied. "I'd have never guessed you'd join a team when I first met you." She sighed. "My point is that you're not boring, and Harry knows you're not boring." She grinned. "He's crazy about you and just doesn't want to admit it."

Hermione blushed for a moment before a worried expression crossed her face. "But if he is…then why shouldn't he admit it? Is he ashamed to fancy me?"

"He just doesn't want to prove Brianna right. That's all. Eventually, he'll realize that he's making himself a lot more miserable than he's making Brianna."

With a sigh, Hermione replied, "I hope so."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

After dropping off Brianna's purchases, Harry did join Hermione and Padma at the Halloween feast, sitting next to Hermione as usual. "Hi, girls," he said. "How'd you enjoy your day?"

"It was fun," said Hermione with a fake grin.

"Listen, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings earlier today, Hermione," he said softly. He glanced around to see his sister at the Gryffindor table with her back to him. "I did miss you, and I got you a little something." He pulled out the Ravenclaw blue quill he'd purchased for her. "It's not much, but…"

"I love it," she said with a grin. "Thank you."

The rest of the feast went by pleasantly after that, and when it was over, they were dismissed to the Ravenclaw common room. They were studying together at a table when Professor Flitwick entered the room with an uncharacteristically grim expression.

"I'm afraid everyone has to spend the night in the Great Hall. Sirius Black has been sighted inside the castle."

Shouts of, "What?" and, "Where?" came from all over the room.

"For reasons not yet determined, he was trying to make his way into Gryffindor Tower and slashed the portrait that guards the entrance with a knife."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->