Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 7 - Surprises

That night, Filch decided to concentrate on cleaning only the Great Hall after he'd tried unsuccessfully cleaning the other halls of the castle. He figured that he'd have to clean up the floors one room at a time for the rest of term because of the prank that had been played.

The next morning, on the way to breakfast, all the students noticed that the floors were back to normal everywhere except the Great Hall. As they sat down to eat, they noticed Filch mopping the floor, looking completely exhausted.

"I wonder if he knows that everywhere else is clean," whispered Harry to Hermione at the Ravenclaw table.

"I doubt it. I don't think anyone likes him enough to let him know."

Grinning, Harry replied, "Probably true. Besides, others probably think he managed to clean it up last night and this is the only room he has left to clean."

-

Argus wound up working on that room for over thirty straight hours until he passed out in exhaustion in the middle of the night. The next morning, the Hogwarts staff found him unconscious on the finally clean floor next to his mop and bucket.

Dumbledore woke him up as students began filling the hall. "Mr. Filch, I must congratulate you on a job well done. The entire castle has been restored. But you must take better care of yourself. I suggest you take the day off and see Madam Pomfrey to make sure you're alright, and spend the day relaxing."

Filch, who knew he hadn't managed to clean up the castle himself but was unwilling to admit it, said, "I suppose I did work too hard last night. If I ever find out who did it…"

"Now, now, Mr. Filch. We are investigating the matter. You should simply relax."

Filch picked up his mop to find that the spot directly beneath it was still colored from the prank. "I guess I missed a spot," he said, and then proceeded to wipe that section of the floor with his mop. The result was that the formerly restored section of the floor began changing colors again. He glared at the floor and then his mop. He swore loudly, calling into question the chastity of the mop's mother. Most of the students started laughing loudly while others, such as Hermione, looked horrified.

"Language, Mr. Filch," said Dumbledore sternly. "You don't want to be a bad example for the students, do you?"

Harry, who overheard that, whispered to his best friend, "Like having Snape here raping everybody's mind is a good example!"

Hermione nodded, though she did say, "It's still not good for faculty members to use foul language…"

"But it's worse to treat students in a foul manner," said Padma, who was sitting next to them.

"True," agreed Hermione. "In any case, we have to get going. Class will be starting in ten minutes."

-

The weeks passed quickly, with Harry sneaking around to practice with his broom and Snitch at least once every week. On Valentine's Day, Harry sent Hermione, Minerva, Penny, and the other girls in their study group each a card with Hedwig. Hermione blushed when she noticed that hers was the best. It was nicer material than the others. She decided to give him the one she'd prepared but wouldn't have given him if he hadn't given her one first. Both of them were simply friendship Valentines, but they each were glad the other had thought of them.

Soon it was March 8th - Brianna's tenth birthday. Harry had known in advance what their parents were buying her, and sent a gift that went along with it. Hermione had sent her a set of books with Harry's present. It was a Saturday. When it was late enough, Harry and Hermione called Brianna on his mirror from a quiet corner of the Common Room.

"Hi Brianna!" said Harry when her happy face appeared.

"Hi Harry, Hermione."

"Hi Brianna," said the bushy-haired girl.

"We just called to say…" said Harry.

He and Hermione began singing, 'Happy Birthday to you,' and Hermione slapped his arm after Harry sang as the second line, "You belong in the zoo."

"You know the real words," said Hermione sternly while Brianna enjoyed watching Harry's reaction to getting hit.

"Oh, come on! She did that at my party…"

"But you're supposed to be the older, more mature sibling."

"But…but…fine. I'll sing it right!" He gave in while looking at his best friend's determined face. He realized he was fighting a losing battle. Together, they sang the song correctly as Brianna laughed at her big brother.

"She really does have you wrapped around her finger, Harry. If you're already this whipped now, imagine when you start kissing. Unless you've already…"

"We are NOT kissing!" said both of the blushing Ravenclaws together.

Nonplussed, Brianna responded, "Not yet anyway."

"Have you kissed Bobby yet?" asked Harry, effectively stopping that line of questioning. "Mom said he's coming to your party tonight."

"HE'S MY FRIEND!"

Chuckling, Harry said, "It is rare that mentioning a friend's name can cause your face to turn red. Mentioning Angie doesn't do that."

"Shut up! Remember our deal?"

"You started it, sis, but since it's your birthday, I'll stop if you will."

"Fine."

"Have you opened any presents yet?" asked Hermione.

Brianna's face lit up. "Yeah! Thanks for that set of the 'Chronicles of Narnia!' Did that happen, too, like 'Lord of the Rings?'"

"No, I'm afraid not. Although that wardrobe reminds me of a vanishing cabinet," she said thoughtfully.

"Did you open what mom and dad got you?" asked Harry.

"Of course," she said smugly. "You already knew about it."

"Not the exact model. Did they get you a Lightning Bolt?"

"No, they didn't want any confusion. Besides, I like mine better. It's the Silver Bullet!" she said, no longer hiding her excitement.

"The one named after the Lone Ranger?" he asked, acting disgusted.

"The one that's silver and can fly faster than your broom!"

He smiled, knowing that hers had a slightly higher maximum speed, but his had faster acceleration. "Can not."

"Can too!"

"Mine accelerates faster! That's most important!"

"If you're a Seeker, maybe. But I'm a Chaser. I need to grab the Quaffle and fly too fast for anyone to steal it from me! Thanks for that Quaffle, by the way."

"Sure. Now all we need are a few Bludgers."

"No thank you! Oh, we almost got in major trouble! We're going to Frank's Flying Funhouse tomorrow and Dad suggested letting one of my friends borrow your broom. I told him you'd be mad. I think I convinced him."

"I hope so!" he said, panic written on his face. "Tell them you mentioned it to me and I started yelling."

"Will do. I've gotta go. We're going out to lunch. Bye guys!"

"Bye," said both Harry and Hermione as Brianna's image faded.

"That really put me in the mood for flying," said Harry. "You wanna come?"

"Harry, it's getting late. I don't think it's a good idea. Curfew is in an hour."

"Come on, Hermione. You know you enjoy sneaking around the castle," he said with a smirk.

"That's when the Weasley twins are with us, and we're using the map. Besides, I for one don't want to wander about the Forbidden Forest when it's dark."

He sighed in defeat. "Okay. We'll go tomorrow. Have a good night." He turned to go to his room.

"Alright, we'll go then," said Hermione with a smile, knowing that she really did have him wrapped around her finger.

"Go where?" asked Padma, who had snuck up behind her.

They glanced nervously at each other. "Nowhere," said Harry.

"Come on. You guys have all the fun. I know you two did that floor prank on Filch. I want in on whatever you're up to."

"We're not pulling a prank," Hermione whispered.

Padma's eyes widened. "You-you're not sneaking off to a broom closet are you? My mum said we're way too young…"

"We're not doing that. We're…" Harry looked around and whispered, "Tomorrow we're sneaking out to the forest to ride the broom I snuck in here."

Padma's eyes brightened. "You snuck a broom here? Awesome! Please let me go with you. I'd love to try flying something besides the school brooms!"

He shrugged his shoulders and looked at Hermione, who nodded. "Alright," he answered.

-

The next day after lunch, Harry got his broom in its shrunken case and walked out the door and outside the castle into their clearing in the forest with both Hermione and Padma. That time, he let Padma ride the broom first.

"Thanks a lot, Harry!" she said as she excitedly mounted the broom and flew away. Harry re-shrunk the case and put it in his pocket.

"You really do follow the 'Ladies first' rule, don't you?" asked Hermione with a grin.

"With the exception of my sister, yes. My dad taught…"

At that moment they heard some sort of animal nearby crying out in pain.

"What was that?" said a scared-looking Hermione.

"It sounded like a horse. Let's go!" Wands in hand, both kids charged headlong through the trees toward the sound. What they saw was horrifying.

A beautiful silver-white stallion with a horn protruding out of its snout was lying on its side, bleeding from a deep cut in its throat. Something or someone with a black cloak that appeared to be floating toward the unicorn noticed them and turned.

"Ahhh!" screamed Harry as he fell to his knees, clutching his forehead.

Hermione's eyes widened as she realized the implications of Harry reacting that way. Slightly trembling, she pointed her wand at the unicorn's killer that was still approaching slowly.

"Expelliarmus!" she shouted, causing a red beam to shoot from her wand and hit the attacker's face. He was pushed backwards about a foot, and continued moving toward them.

"Hermione!" came Padma's voice from above them where she was flying. She looked terrified, but was pointing her wand at the attacker as well. It looked up at the flier while Hermione shot it again. If Voldemort had been in Quirrel's body at the time, and not in this sub-human form, he would've killed all three children. As it was, he knew he couldn't defend himself from them. He briefly wondered if the boy suffered from some form of epilepsy and was having a seizure.

As Hermione continued to hold him back, Padma lowered the broom behind her and managed to get Harry on it. When Padma said, "Now!" Hermione jumped on the broom and they flew away. Even at their small sizes they barely fit on the broom handle, and were moving noticeably slower than usual. However, they managed to get out of the forest as Harry came to himself. Padma landed them in a secluded spot outside the forest and Harry put the broom back into its case.

"What happened, Harry?" she asked in concern. "Who was that?"

Harry and Hermione exchanged a knowing look. "I don't know," he said.

Padma looked from Harry to Hermione and knew she was being lied to. "Come on. I know you know!"

Hermione said, "You'll be happier not knowing what we suspect."

"I saved you, admittedly with Harry's broom. Don't I have the right to know what I saved you from?"

Harry took a deep breath. "Voldemort."

She gasped and flinched at the name. "W-why do you th-think that. He was killed by Harry Potter. W-Why would he be here?"

"The Philosopher's Stone," said Hermione, with comprehension dawning on her face.

"The elixir of life," said Harry, finishing her thought. He turned to their friend who looked even more confused than ever. "He didn't die. They never found a body. He was weakened and lost his powers. He's looking for a way to come back."

Hermione continued. "We overheard Snape and Quirrel talking about the Philosopher's Stone being here. Actually, Snape was threatening Quirrel, talking about the three-headed dog on the third floor that's guarding a trap door. Anyway, we looked up what the Philosopher's Stone was."

"It can turn any metal into gold, and produces the elixir of life, which can make the drinker immortal. It could let Voldemort come back," finished Harry.

Padma flinched again. "So why would he be killing a unicorn?"

Hermione answered, "I don't know, but I know where we can find out."

-

An hour later, they were in the library looking up unicorns in various books when Hermione exclaimed, "I've found it!"

"Shhh," said Harry, "Do you want us thrown out?"

"Sorry. I just got excited. It says here that drinking unicorn blood will keep someone alive no matter how close to death they are, but it will give them a cursed half-life. I'd guess that he's just surviving on that until he can get his hands on the stone."

"So what can we do about it?" asked Padma.

"Tell my Aunt."

"But then you'll have to admit being in the forest."

He swore under his breath as he tried to think of a way around that. "I could tell her about…Quirrel - not Snape!"

Comprehension dawned on Hermione's face while confusion formed on Padma's.

"Snape's a mind-rapist and an evil git who should be sacked, but Quirrel's the one working with Voldemort," Hermione finished his thought. "So he was trying to get past the dog - not Snape."

"What?" said Patil. "Quirrel wouldn't have the guts. Why would you suspect him anyway?"

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, knowing that if they explained how Harry's invisible scar hurt when he was with Quirrel and then when he was with Voldemort, they'd be revealing his secret. They also knew she could tell when she was being lied to.

"Padma," said Harry, "I won't lie to you. The answer to that question is a secret that I can't tell you."

"But you can tell Hermione?" she asked, looking offended.

"No. I figured it out."

"How?" The smart Patil twin started thinking about Quirrel, trying to figure out why Harry suspects him. "Is this about the headaches Harry sometimes gets in class?" Judging by how uncomfortable her friends looked, she knew she was on the right track. "Your head hurt today, too. So something about Quirrel and You-Know-Who gives you headaches." She turned to Harry. "Are you a Seer or something?"

"Something," said Harry with a worried look on his face. "Please don't ask more. It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I can't tell anyone."

"But if I figure it out like Hermione…"

"Please don't try," he looked at her imploringly.

Sighing, she said, "Okay. For now I won't try to figure out your secret, but this isn't over."

"Fair enough," said Harry with a grin.

-

A few hours later, Harry was alone in Minerva's office talking to her.

"I think there's something wrong with Quirrel, Aunt Minnie."

She looked surprised. "I know he's a bit timid, but he's a fine man."

"That's not what I mean. A lot of times when I'm in class with him, my head hurts here for a few seconds." Harry traced a lightning bolt shape on his forehead, surprising his aunt by tracing the exact location of his erased scar.

"Your scar?"

"That's how Hermione figured out who I am. I was rubbing it. I've been careful since then to just rub my whole forehead when it happens. I feel at least a small twinge almost every class. I thought it would go away, but it hasn't. I was wondering if…if it could have something to do with Voldemort." She flinched at the name. "But I mean, there's no reason he'd want to be here, is there?"

Harry enjoyed watching his aunt's face pale at that question. He knew she wouldn't tell him the answer to that question. "Er, I'm s-sure that you're safe. I'll…I'll look into it. Be careful."

"Thanks, Aunt Minnie." He got up to leave, and she pulled him into a tight hug. "Don't be alone with him, Harry. Make sure one of your friends is with you. Try not to call any attention to yourself in his class, and try to pretend your head's not hurting."

"I will, Aunt Minnie."

As he left the office, he knew that he'd done the right thing by talking to her.

-

Harry knew that his aunt couldn't tell Dumbledore about Quirrel without revealing their secret, but he did notice that now Snape wasn't the only one harassing the stuttering professor. Of course, she was being much more subtle about it. She'd seem to appear out of thin air whenever Quirrel's classes were ending. She'd act friendly, but Harry could see that she was escorting him so he couldn't sneak off anywhere.

He also noticed that she always had her hand on her wand. That made him decide what to order for her upcoming birthday, which would occur during Easter break. They were staying at the castle for that, and Harry was arranging a small surprise for her.

-

As Easter break approached, Hermione seemed to get very obsessed with reviewing for their end-of-term exams, and had just handed Harry a study schedule. He certainly didn't want to hurt his best friend's feelings, but he honestly felt that they didn't need that much time for reviewing it.

"Hermione, thank you for this schedule," he began.

"You're welcome, Harry."

"But I honestly don't think we need to spend that much time reviewing. We're over half-way through next year's books."

"But it never hurts to be prepared."

"I agree with you there, but I think we both know the material well enough. How about if instead of going over our notes we quiz each other right now to see how much we need to study?"

Intrigued by the idea, Hermione agreed. Harry picked up his Potions book and went to the review questions of one of the last chapters and asked one of them. She answered it perfectly. She then picked a question for him out of the Herbology book, which he got right. For over an hour, they quizzed each other on every subject they were studying, and demonstrated all the spells that came up (they didn't demonstrate Potions and plants) in the questions.

Finally, Harry said, "You see. I think that if we quiz each other like this every week, we'll be fine. I really think we should give the study schedules to our study group, though. I think we could spend the extra time either helping them or finishing up the second year books."

Seeing that he was right, she nodded. "I guess so. Maybe I did get a bit carried away."

He smiled at her. "You sometimes forget how brilliant you are, but I don't."

She blushed at the compliment. "You're just as brilliant…"

Shaking his head, he admitted, "Not quite, but hanging out with you has made me smarter." For some reason he felt like telling her how much he appreciated her. He knew she still had some self-esteem problems from before they'd met and wanted to make sure that she knew he thought she was brilliant.

"You are so sweet." She hugged him and did her best not to cry at his kind words.

"It's just the truth."

-

When Easter break finally arrived, they decided to spend two hours per day playing games. Harry had decided against flying around the forest, for obvious reasons, so they decided to play some board games that Hermione had gotten her parents to send them.

On Monday, Harry, Hermione, and Padma were playing a game of Monopoly, with Hermione as banker and Harry as property manager, when Harry voiced a concern he'd had growing for a while.

"I wonder if Quirrel knows how to get past that dog yet."

"I don't think he's had the chance to try. I honestly don't think he's gone to the loo without your aunt knowing." He chuckled. "I'm more concerned about what else is guarding it. Any muggle with a gun could get past the three-headed dog."

"You're right. Just shoot each head. You might want a semi-automatic weapon at least," commented Harry.

"What about the death curse?" suggested Padma.

"Some magical beasts might be immune. Maybe," said Harry.

"But not to every curse," said Hermione confidently. "I'll bet a few 'reducto' curses would do it." She then looked at Padma and explained. "That's a fifth-year spell that can break solid walls."

"Oh."

"I hope there are worse things guarding the stone than just that monster," said Harry.

"I'll bet Hagrid would know, since he's helping to guard it," said Hermione.

"I'm sure it's not guarded with anything we could get past," said Padma.

"Maybe, but I'd like to make sure," said Harry. "I've read about what it was like when Voldemort was around, and would not like to experience that first hand."

"Me neither. Why don't we go now?" said Hermione.

-

Thirty minutes later, they found themselves standing outside Hagrid's cabin. The windows all were shuttered closed. Harry nervously knocked on the door.

They heard something drop on the floor, followed by a loud voice saying, "Just a minute."

They listened to the sounds of things being moved around until finally the door opened. Hagrid's dog immediately started licking Harry as Hagrid said, "Hello, er, Harry McGonagall, right?" He nodded. "Yeah, yer aunt mentioned you a couple times over de years. I was surprised yer were sorted inter Ravenclaw, but the hat's always right, isn't he." Looking at the girls, he asked, "And who might yer be?"

"I'm Hermione Granger, and this is Padma Patil. We heard that you know about every magical creature there is, and we have a question about one."

They could see the half-giant blush through his beard. "Well, I do know 'bout most o' dem, yes. Please come in. We'll have a spot of tea."

As they walked in, Harry noticed that it was very hot in there, and a large garbage can had been put in front of the fireplace. They sat down at his table.

"So, how long have you been working here?" asked Harry, making small talk while Hagrid fiddled around with the tea kettle.

"Almost fifty years now. Since Dumbledore talked the headmaster at that time into hiring me. Great man, Dumbledore."

"I'll bet you know everything that goes on here," said Hermione.

"Pretty much," he answered proudly as he set out the cups of tea. "If I'd known ye were comin' I'd a made some rock cakes."

"We heard that there's a three-headed dog guarding something in the castle," said Harry.

"And we wanted to know if it's true," added Padma.

"How'd ye hear about Fluffy? Wait. I don' want ter know."

"Fluffy?"

"Well, he's got ter have a name, don't he?"

"How do you know his name?" asked Harry, already knowing the answer.

"He's mine."

"So, what's he guarding?" asked Hermione innocently.

"Sorry. Can' tell ya he's guarding the Phil…can't say what he's guarding."

Harry had to bite his tongue to stop himself from laughing at Hagrid's near slip-up. He found that he liked the rather large man, but he would never tell him a secret.

"Whatever it is must be really important for Professor Dumbledore to have trusted you to guard it. I wonder if there's anyone else he's trusted as much," said Padma.

Hagrid smiled proudly. "He's only trusted a handful as much as me. Let's see. He of course trusts your aunt, Harry. He trusts Professors Sprout, Quirrel, Flitwick, an' Snape. I understand you've 'ad some trouble wit' him, and I admit he's not the most pleasant bloke I ever met, but Dumbledore trusts him. You should too. Great man, Dumbledore. They're all guarding the…thing they're guarding. Of course, Dumbledore has somethin' too. Bit excessive, if ya ask me. Ain't nuthin' can get past Fluffy."

The trio smiled broadly. Hermione decided that it would be rude to leave as soon as they got the information they wanted. "Thanks Hagrid. So tell me, what other interesting creatures are around here?" He then talked to them for another hour, talking about hippogriffs, thestrals, acromantulas, and finally his favorite.

"I always wanted ter own a dragon," he said happily as he got up and removed the large garbage can from in front of his fireplace, "…and now I got me one."

They looked in surprise to see something they did not expect. "Is that a dragon egg?" asked Hermione.

"A Norwegian Ridgeback," he said proudly.

"But your house is wooden," Padma pointed out shakily. She seemed really frightened as she stared at the egg like it was about to attack her, "When it hatches, it'll burn the house down. Dragons are dangerous!"

"Them's seriously misunderstood creatures," he said, shrugging the warning off.

"Thanks for the tea, but I, I'd really like to go now." Padma looked like she wanted to run away and really Harry didn't blame her. He'd learned a bit about them in his old school and knew he didn't want to mess with one.

"It's getting late anyway," said Harry politely.

"I'm sorry if I scared ya, but really dragons aren't that dangerous."

"We'll, we'll take your word for it," said Padma shakily.

"We promise not to tell anyone about your dragon," said Hermione, "but you really should try to find some other place for it. I've read that there are reserves in Romania."

"I'm surprised you never tried to work at a dragon reserve," said Harry.

"Charlie Weasley, one of the Weasley brothers who graduated last year, got 'im a job workin' with dragons right out a Hogwarts. He said the same thing ter me. But I jus' couldn' leave, not wit' the trust Dumbledore's put in me."

"You've kept the job for fifty years, Hagrid," said Padma as she got closer to the door, "and he's never given you a promotion, has he?"

Hagrid's eyes bulged out. "Er, not since me predecessor retired forty-eight years ago. I ain't gotten a raise either. I live here and get free meals, an' can afford ta' have a pint at the Hog's Head now and then, but I ain't never bin able ta save any money. I wonder why?"

"Maybe it was a simple oversight," suggested Hermione. "Anyway, we've got to go. Thanks for the tea."

"Goodbye," said the half-giant as he sat down wondering for the first time whether Dumbledore was a 'great man' or not - if he was just being used as cheap labor.

-

The trio figured that each of the teachers that were protecting the stone had set up some barrier like Fluffy that a thief would have to get past. They decided not to ask Professor McGonagall about her protection. They wondered about what Hagrid would do about his dragon, but definitely didn't want to get involved in that. Padma pointed out that if it so much as bit them, they'd be in serious trouble. She had a cousin that had died at a dragon reserve when one got out of control.

-

"Aunt Minnie," said Harry a few days later, "have you heard anything from our lawyers? They're supposed to be conducting interviews this week." He was in her office where she had been working all morning until he came and knocked on her door, saying he wanted to talk to her. He was facing the door while she was facing him.

She smiled, something few students ever saw her do, but her nephew was an exception. "Yes. As a mater of fact, I received an owl this morning that said they've gotten over fifty current students to join the class-action lawsuit. All Non-Slytherins. They won't interview Snape's students until after the semester is over. Neither can believe how cruel that man is! Most parents they've spoken to have sent letters, and even howlers, to Dumbledore at one time or another but have never gotten replies."

"That's good news," he said as he noticed the door glow orange. "Isn't it about lunch time?"

"I believe you're right," she said, looking at her watch. "We can walk together."

They got up, and Harry opened the door for her.

"SURPRISE!!!" shouted several students, startling the head of Gryffindor.

"Happy birthday, Aun…Professor McGonagall."

She looked around to see some Gryffindors, like the four Weasley boys (Percy was even there - always kissing up). Parvati Patil was there, along with Padma, Penny, and Hermione from Ravenclaw. Hannah Abbot from Hufflepuff was there as well. There were several others there too. Harry was surprised at the turnout. It seemed that every non-Slytherin that had stayed for the break was there, as well as a few older Slytherins who apparently had grown to like and respect his aunt. She was as happy as he'd ever seen her, and he suspected that she wanted to cry.

"Happy birthday, Professor," was yelled by several students at once as she looked around. Her classroom had been rearranged for the party. The desks were no longer there. Instead there was a long table in the middle with chairs. It was similar to a house table from the Great Hall. Harry had gotten the elves to bring lunch to that room. It was already on the table, along with place settings. A cake with an unlit solitary candle was in the middle of it, and a smaller table filled with wrapped packages was in a corner of the room.

"Thank you very much," she said earnestly as she walked up to the table and sat down, with Harry and Hermione on either side. They all sat down and ate lunch, and then Harry lit the candle on the cake with his wand. "I haven't had a birthday party in years."

"How old are you," asked Ron, only to get smacked in the arm by Parvati.

"It's impolite to ask a lady's age," she said.

Harry had pulled out his mirror and made a quick call. "Professor McGonagall," he said, "there are a few other people who want to talk to you."

He handed her the mirror and she saw Mark, Cindy, and Brianna McGonagall grinning at her. "Happy Birthday, Aunt Minnie!" they all said together.

"Thank you," she said, "It's great to see you all. You knew about this?" She handed the mirror to Harry, who turned it so they could watch Minerva easily blow out the candle after everyone sang to her.

After the cake had been served, she went to her presents. Some of the kids had given her things like sugar quills or other candies. Others (including Hermione) gave her a book. Percy gave her a fancy quill, ink, and parchment set. Fred and George gave her and apple. But when she touched the apple, it turned into a chocolate worm (like the frogs) that tried to crawl away. Harry gave her a wand holster like his.

"That way you can draw your wand at a moment's notice. I do recommend you practice catching with it."

"Thank you, Harry," she said with a grin.

"You're welcome."

She'd already gotten her presents from the three people who were watching her open the presents from Harry's mirror so they weren't on the table. The party went on for a little while longer with different students wishing her a happy birthday and thanking her for help she'd given them in the past. Just before people started to leave, a bunch of lit sparklers started floating around the room. McGonagall looked straight at the Weasley twins with her stern teacher look.

"Should I ever find out who was responsible for those fireworks, I shall have to give the perpetrators detention. However, they are rather lovely."

After everybody but the trio had left, Minerva thanked them, especially Harry, who received a hug that embarrassed him in front of his friends. His aunt said, "You should be thankful I waited for most of the students to leave," and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who had. Sorry it took so long. I had a bit of writer's block for a few days.