Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 17 - Revelations

The next morning, Harry woke up a bit later than usual for a Saturday. Ravenclaw (and probably the other three houses as well) had a party the previous night to celebrate the Lockhart's humiliation. Harry believed that even the Slytherins hated the great ponce and were glad to see him go. According to his watch, he still had time to get to breakfast if he hurried, so he hurriedly changed, planning on showering after Quidditch practice, which had been scheduled for right after breakfast. He walked up the stairs to find Hermione and Padma waiting for him. Hermione was talking to the painting of Rowena Ravenclaw that was among the other paintings in the Common Room.

"Good morning, girls," he said.

"What took you so long?" asked Hermione as she turned from the picture. Remembering her manners, she turned back to the painting. "Excuse me. I've got to go."

"That's quite alright, dear. I understand," said the portrait.

Harry said, "I overslept."

"We've missed half of breakfast," said Padma.

"You could have gone on without me," he said. However, seeing their slightly hurt faces, he added, "but I appreciate you waiting for me. Shall we go?" His mom had always taught him to be considerate of other people's feelings. Not that he always did that, but he tried to at least be considerate of his closest friends.

They hurried to the Great Hall and sat down at their table near Luna. After exchanging morning greetings with her, Harry put a stack of pancakes on his plate. He was reaching for some sausage when he heard a voice behind him as a hand landed on his left shoulder.

"There you two are," said Michelle. Harry's face turned red as his crush kicked in. He felt his elbow land in something.

"Yes, we're here, Michelle," said Hermione, stifling her laughter and distracting their captain as Harry pulled his elbow out of the butter dish. Padma was hiding her face, but her ears were tomato red.

"I was wondering if you overslept or something. Remember that practice starts in twenty minutes, so you'd better hurry. Bye."

As soon as Michelle was out of earshot, Hermione `innocently' suggested, "Why don't you wipe your elbow off on your pancakes?" This had the immediate effect of both she and Padma bursting out laughing while Harry buried his face in his hands.

"I'm never gonna live this down, am I?" he murmured through his fingers as the girls continued laughing.

"I don't see what's so funny," said Luna dreamily. "Harry was merely trying to make the plothglotes go away. It's a very good idea, Harry, although you probably should've rolled up your sleeve first." She then rolled up the right sleeve of her jumper and purposely dipped her own elbow into the butter dish to the shock of everyone watching.

At that moment, the door from the entrance hall burst open, revealing thirty aurors, wands brandished and ready to fight. They looked around the hall in total confusion. One from the back, who was apparently the leader, walked forward and spoke while looking at the head table.

"Headmistress McGonagall?"

She stood up and began walking toward them, holding her own wand. "That's me. Is there something I can help you with, auror? And why have you interrupted our breakfast?" she asked sternly.

Putting his wand back in its holster and signaling the others to do the same, he replied. "We just received a report from Gilderoy Lockhart that 1,000 vampires killed all the staff and students while he fought bravely, barely surviving himself." The whole Great Hall burst out laughing.

It was obvious to Harry that Minerva was having a hard time stopping herself from joining in the mirth of that moment. "Is that what he claimed happened?" she asked. "Why don't you come to my office, and I and the heads of houses will explain what actually occurred last night?"

At that moment, a flock of owls flew in, carrying the mail, along with the newspapers. One flew directly in front of the headmistress, so after saying, "Excuse me for a moment," to the auror, she untied the parcel and gave the bird the appropriate payment. She unrolled her copy of the Daily Prophet and her mouth fell open. It had a picture of Gilderoy Lockhart, his expressions moving from tearful to angry every few seconds. She glanced at the cover story.

"Vampires Massacre Hogwarts - Lockhart vows Vengeance

By Rita Skeeter

This reporter was saddened terribly to hear of the slaughter that occurred last night at Hogwarts during the Halloween celebration. One thousand vampires attacked, intent on killing everyone present. The lone survivor, the famous Gilderoy Lockhart, put up a tremendous fight, taking out at least a hundred, staying and fighting well into the night until the last student was bitten. Realizing that it was a hopeless cause, he fled the grounds, outflying hundreds of vampire bats on his Comet 260 broom in an effort to warn the authorities, and let everyone know the tragedy that occurred last night.

`I believe that it is my solemn duty to let the public know exactly what happened, so I will spend the next few months putting it down in my next book, and then I shall hunt down these creatures capable of attacking our children…" The article went on to describe Lockhart's life-and-death struggle against overwhelming odds.

"Doesn't that so-called reporter even verify facts before publishing them?" Minerva nearly screamed. She then faced the students. "I believe that all of you should write your families immediately to let them know you are safe."

Harry whispered to Hermione, "I called Brianna last night to tell her about Lockhart, so she already knows."

"I'm glad my parents don't get the Prophet," said Hermione.

The headmistress then turned her attention back to the aurors. "I believe that we'll also need a reporter here as well - not this Rita Skeeter person. I want someone reliable. You may also wish to arrest Mr. Lockhart after hearing what we have to say. Actually," she said thoughtfully, "It may be best if you watch the memory of the event."

-

Minerva's group disappeared to her office, where she later told Harry that she showed the aurors and the reporter who showed up a bit later the memory of the `vampire attack.' She also gave the aurors a copy of her memory of Lockhart's Boggarts to assist them in finding the actual heroes that he had obliviated.

Harry and Hermione went to Quidditch practice, which went very well. Harry was fortunately able to fly practically by complete instinct, and it would take a lot more than a embarrassment to keep him away from the Snitch. However, Hermione did seem to take on the important responsibility of making sure that Harry did not forget the `elbow in the butter dish' incident for the rest of the day, although she did have assistance from Padma as well.

Harry thought that the worst part of his humiliation was when their study group met and Luna still had butter on her elbow. She said, "Harry, the butter must have come off your elbow. You need to get more." After Hermione happily filled everyone in on what had happened, they all laughed at Harry (who was hiding his face behind a book) except for Luna and Ginny, who seemed to have something bothering her again.

-

The next morning at breakfast, Minerva made an announcement. "I'd like your attention, everyone. This is Professor Tutamun. She will be your new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher."

Harry looked at the woman that was no taller than Professor Flitwick. She had long, curly red hair and a tan complexion. She looked like a little girl playing dress-up in her amber dress, but her face had a grown-up, but friendly, expression. Harry thought she was in her early thirties. The students began clapping politely.

The Headmistress continued once the applause died down. "She was an auror in Ireland until she was injured by a dark curse about a year ago and had to retire. She has requested different textbooks than the ones that you are currently using." Aunt Minnie spat out the words `the ones' with obvious disgust. We have taken the liberty of ordering your new books, which Professor Tutamun will distribute to you in your classes. We will buy the old books back in trade, returning the difference in price to your parents, unless of course you wish to keep Mr. Lockhart's books, in which case you'll have to pay for the new books. I believe that they were about three Galleons each. Your heads of house will handle those transactions. That is all." She then sat down next to the new professor.

"That's nice of them to buy the books back," whispered Hermione.

Harry smiled at her. "Aunt Minnie told me yesterday that they got the gold from Lockhart's trunk. They're keeping everything he left here. Of course, I don't know who would want his outfits."

"Maybe they can be sent to Snape," suggested Padma, causing everyone who heard her to chuckle.

At that point, the mail, including the Daily Prophet, arrived. Although he didn't subscribe, Harry had requested that particular issue. He wanted to keep it. He grinned as he examined the front page after paying the owl.

"Hogwarts Wasn't Attacked! Gilderoy Lockhart - a Fraud! Rita Skeeter - a Fool!

By Anna Jesse

Today, the Daily Prophet has the sad duty to retract the story about the alleged attack upon Hogwarts that Gilderoy Lockhart reported to Rita Skeeter - former reporter - who failed to verify this story before printing it, causing a widespread panic among the wizarding population, especially parents who read that their children had been killed or changed into vampires. Headmistress McGonagall has allowed this reporter to view her memory of what really happened Halloween night in her Pensieve. This is the truth of what happened."

The article continued by telling the truth of what had happened that night, including the revelation that Lockhart was a fraud and that Rita Skeeter had simply taken his word for what happened without checking it out for herself. As a result, she was sacked and her reputation ruined. Another article told of Lockhart's arrest, along with the investigation of charges of illegal use of the Obliviation charm as well as fraud.

When breakfast was over, Harry noticed that Professor Tutamun was walking with a cane, and that it appeared that her left foot was a fake. Without commenting on it, Harry, Hermione and Padma made their way to C.A.R.E. headquarters to revise for a few hours before enjoying the rest of Sunday, especially when they turned their Lockhart books over to Professor Flitwick.

-

It wasn't until Tuesday afternoon that the Ravenclaws had class with their new Defense teacher. Right after lunch, they went straight into the classroom with the Hufflepuffs. There was a new book on each desk.

"Good afternoon, class," said Professor Tutamun in what sounded like a friendly voice. She was wearing silver robes, and her long, red hair was in a pony tail.

"Morning," about half the students mumbled.

"As you should know if you pay attention to announcements, my name is Professor Tutamun. The first thing we'll do is take attendance, so raise your hand when I call your name."

When she finished taking roll call, she continued, "You have undoubtedly noticed your new textbooks on your desks. I expect you to read a chapter every week and to do the review questions at the end of each chapter to turn in every Tuesday, along with a one-foot summary of each chapter." All of the class except Hermione groaned. Harry knew they'd have to work hard over the next week or two in order to get ahead in this class. "My question for you is this: Did you learn anything in this class for the past few months besides Lockhart's favorite color, or was it a complete waste of time?"

"Yes, Mr. Finch-Fletchley?" she asked when Justin raised his hand.

"We learned what a Yeti looks like about a month ago."

"But that was from whoever pulled that prank," said Susan Bones. "Not from Lockhart."

"How about if I assume that you didn't learn anything," said Tutamun over the laughter that began when the class was reminded of that prank. "If I cover something you've already gone over, then it'll be a review."

-

The class went much better than any other D.A.D.A. class Harry had been through at Hogwarts before. Although some it what she covered had been a review from his American school, most of it was new material. Aside from the amount of homework she assigned, he liked this new teacher.

The rest of the week passed by quickly, with him and Hermione using their extra time to get a few weeks ahead of the schedule. Padma was happy that on Thursday afternoon, Matthew Shapon taught Transfiguration. When Harry commented on her crush, she said, "At least I didn't put my elbow in a butter dish," effectively shutting him up.

-

Saturday morning's newspaper revealed that Lockhart had been arrested, and ten of the people he'd Obliviated had been located and their memories restored. They were waiting until they could find as many victims as possible before holding his trial. Harry was reading a copy he'd borrowed at breakfast when Hermione tapped his shoulder.

"Isn't that the same bloke that was with Madam Grubbly last game?"

He looked at the staff table to see that his best friend was indeed correct. "You're right. I guess he's here to see the Gryffindor versus Slytherin game."

"I guess so," said Hermione. "I wish I knew who he was.

Padma added, "We'll finally get to find out who Gryffindor's new Seeker is."

After breakfast, they watched the gamekeeper walk out toward the grounds hand-in-hand with her visitor. They stopped when the headmistress called out, "Mr. Plank."

"Yes," said the man when he'd turned around.

"You forgot your cloak. It's getting chilly outside."

Harry noticed that his aunt was carrying a long, brown cloak to the couple.

"Did you see that ring?" asked Padma, excitedly, as soon as they were out of earshot.

Hermione squealed, "Of course!"

At the same moment, Harry said, "Huh?"

Both girls looked at him with pity. "Honestly, how can you find a tiny glint of gold flying around the Quidditch pitch when you can't see a ring on someone's finger?" asked Hermione.

"I'm looking for the Snitch," said Harry defensively as his ears turned pink, "not for other people's jewelry." He then sighed. "So, she was wearing a ring."

"Not just any ring," said Padma enthusiastically. "An engagement ring with a large diamond…"

Not really interested in the description, Harry tuned out the rest of it as they made their way toward the Ravenclaw stands. One thing that Harry was interested in is scouting out the new Gryffindor Seeker. The only thing he knew for sure about this bloke was that he'd have been scouting him a month ago when he played. They were soon seated high up with the other second-years, as well as Luna. Penny Clearwater was sitting nearby, wearing a Gryffindor scarf. Harry figured that her boyfriend, Captain Oliver Wood, had given it to her. He was interrupted from his thoughts by Lee Jordan's announcing.

"Welcome to the second Quidditch game of the year - Gryffindor versus Slytherin!" Harry joined in the cheers that the game would begin.

"I give you, the Gryffindor Team!" Harry continued cheering while the Slytherins booed. He was definitely on Gryffindor's side for this match.

"Captain and Keeper - Oliver Wood!" Penelope cheered louder than all the Gryffindors put together, in Harry's opinion.

"Those unbeatable Beaters - Fred and George Weasley!" Harry cheered for his partners in crime.

"The lovely Chasers. Sorry, professor. Alicia Spinnet, Katie Bell, and the beautiful, Angelina Johnson, who still won't go out with me. Sorry, professor." Harry laughed.

"And now, making her debut, the youngest Seeker in a century - Ginny Weasley!" Harry's jaw dropped when he saw the first-year zooming out onto the pitch wearing robes that matched her hair. "Her older brother Charlie was the best Seeker Gryffindor ever had. We'll find out if she's going to continue that tradition!" Harry managed to clap for his friend as he stared in surprise. He didn't even pay attention while the Slytherins were introduced. He wondered if her Quidditch practices were the reason she'd seemed down lately. However, looking at her happy, yet determined, face, he didn't think that she was worried about the game.

He watched Flint try to break Oliver's hand under the guise of sportsmanship, and wondered yet again what the point of that gesture was. Soon enough, the Quaffle was tossed in the air, and the game began.

Angelina Johnson grabbed the Quaffle first, and proceeded to lead the Gryffindors to getting the first goal of the game in less than two minutes. Harry always enjoyed watching the genius of Fred and George sending Bludgers at the opposite team, although he supposed it wouldn't be as enjoyable to watch when he became the target during their February game. However, he turned his attention to the players he'd have to beat - the Gryffindor and Slytherin Seekers - Ginny Weasley and Terrence Higgs, respectively.

He'd seen Higgs play before, during the previous year, but had never seen Ginny play. He watched as both Seekers circled the pitch, but noticed how they would both glance at each other every minute or so to make sure the other hadn't spotted the elusive tiny winged ball. Three times, Ginny had to avoid a Bludger sent after her for no good reason during that time. During one of those `mutual glances' between the two Seekers, Harry noticed the Snitch appear directly below Higgs, but it was gone before either player spotted it.

For a few minutes, he turned his attention to the Chasers, and wasn't surprised to see that the Slytherin Chasers were using their bulk to bully Gryffindor Chasers, since they actually had no Quidditch skills at all. He honestly wondered sometimes if Madam Hooch was blind the way that the Slytherins got away with their `strategy' in front of hundreds of witnesses every game. Nevertheless, the Gryffindor Lions were winning at 160 to 90 points. The only thing that could save Slytherin was their Seeker.

He was still contemplating this when Lee Jordan announced, "It looks like Ginny Weasley has seen the Snitch!" He turned his attention to the streak of red making a dive toward the ground at the center of the pitch. Harry noticed Higgs coming from the opposite direction. He followed Ginny's line of sight and saw that this was no feint. The glint of gold was about 5 feet from the redhead, but 8 feet from Higgs. She easily grabbed it out of the air a moment later.

As she raised her hand triumphantly, he saw one of Slytherin's Beaters hit a Bludger toward her back. Harry pulled his wand out to try and interfere, but then saw that there was no need. One of Gryffindor's twin Beaters had flown in, protecting his little sister, and rammed the Bludger right into the offending Beater's face, breaking his nose. Madam Hooch blew her whistle and started yelling at the Weasley twin as they landed. However, Aunt Minnie made her way toward them.

Harry turned to Hermione, Padma and Luna. "Let's see what happens."

Without waiting for a response, he climbed down the bleachers and got within earshot in time to hear his Scottish aunt yell, "Are you blind, Rolanda? Bole hit the Bludger at Miss Weasley after the game was over in front of hundreds of witnesses! Mr. Weasley merely defended his sister. He will not have any punishment. However, Mr. Bole will be suspended from Slytherin's next game, and will serve a detention. And he certainly disserved the minor injury that he caused himself."

Madam Hooch seemed very offended that the Headmistress overrode her judgment. Coldly, she said, "It has always been tradition to allow the Quidditch referee to decide what penalties to give to players over incidents that occur during a game."

Minerva's face was pink with rage. "It's also traditional for the referee to open her eyes at least once during the matches! I know that Dumbledore let you get away with turning a blind eye toward your former house's murder attempts as long as you give your clean game speech before each match, but that is no longer the case!"

Hooch seemed nervous. "I, I haven't…"

"Not as blatantly as Snape did, but you have allowed Slytherin to get away with far too much cheating for it to be accidental and I will not allow that to continue." Minerva's expression lightened a bit. "Besides, this incident occurred after the game was over, making it very clearly my jurisdiction."

At that moment, Ginny nervously walked toward the quartet of Ravenclaws, taking their attention away from school administration. "Er, hi guys."

"Hey, Ginny," said Harry, "How come you didn't tell us you were the new Seeker?"

Her ears turned pink, "Well, Oliver wanted to keep it a secret, especially from Non-Gryffindor's. I would've told you, but was sworn to secrecy."

"You did really good out there," said Hermione.

"Especially considering the Nargle infestation on the pitch," added Luna. "They were blocking Madam Hooch's view of the game."

"You might be right about the Nargles blocking Madam Hooch's view," said Harry as he chuckled. "Ginny, you did good."

Padma added, "Really good."

Ginny looked directly at Harry. "I know I wasn't as good as you, but I have a few months to practice before we face off, and I will get the Snitch that game."

He grinned at her. "We'll see about that, but right now, the important thing is that you didn't let the Slytherin Seeker get the Snitch."

"Never!" agreed Ginny happily. "Anyway, I've got to get to the changing room."

"You'd better hurry up," said Harry. "I'm sure they're getting ready for a party in Gryffindor Tower."

She took off toward the changing rooms, and Hermione suggested that they go to headquarters to study. Luna declined, saying, "I want to see if I can catch one of the Nargles before they're all gone."

-

The rest of the weekend went by quickly, and before he knew it, Monday morning had arrived, and Harry was in Double-Potions class partnered up with Hermione. They were making a magical cleaning solution that Professor LaVelle had assigned them.

"All that's left is for us to stir it twice clockwise and once counterclockwise," said Hermione after double-checking their book.

"Alright," said Harry as he began to follow the directions. Suddenly, the liquid in the cauldron began to act strangely. "Er, Hermione, is it supposed to bubble?"

Her eyes widened. "No! That can only happen if you add…"

BOOM!!!

Padma, who was sitting nearby, screamed as she watched her closest friends knocked to the ground by their exploding cauldron. They were both unconscious and had burns on their hands and faces. Pieces of the cauldron and the book they were working out of were on top of them, along with pieces of the table.

The teacher appeared scared, but quickly took control. "Calm down, everybody. Mr. Corner, could you go quickly to the hospital wing and bring Madam Pomfrey here?" He nodded and took off. "Class is dismissed. Miss Patil, I know you're a close friend of theirs. You may stay if you wish."

Together, the teacher and student summoned the junk off of Harry and Hermione. Professor LaVelle was very impressed that she knew the summoning charm already. They had just unburied the victims when Madam Pomfrey arrived.

-

"So, they'll both be alright?" said a worried voice in the distance. Harry thought it sounded familiar as he groggily opened his eyes. He felt some sort of lotion on his face and the back of his hands as he looked around the blurry room, realizing that he didn't have his glasses on.

"Yes, Headmistress. They won't even have a scar."

"Very well. I shall inform both of their parents."

Harry turned to see the blurred image of his aunt rummaging through her purse, obviously looking for her mirror. "Aunt Minnie," he said with a scratchy voice, suddenly realizing that he was quite thirsty.

"Harry," she turned and looked at him, but he was unable to determine her expression. "You're awake."

"H-how long?"

"Have you been unconscious?" she asked. He nodded. "About a half-hour. Miss Patil just left for lunch."

"Pr-Professor McGonagall?" said Hermione's voice, unsteadily from Harry's left. He turned and saw a blurry figure lying on a bed near his and realized that he was in the hospital wing. "What happened?"

"You were in Potions class and your cauldron exploded," she said grimly. "Professor LaVelle found that it had been tampered with, although she has no idea who did it or why."

Harry said, "If we were with the Slytherins, I'd think that Malfoy did it. But we weren't."

"Right now, you just worry about getting some rest. Madam Pomfrey has told me that you'll both have to spend the night."

"But we'll miss Charms class!" said Hermione frantically.

"Professor Flitwick has already been informed," Minerva answered. "By the way, your special schoolbags were undamaged, as were the contents. It is fortunate that you kept them under the desk instead of on it. Otherwise, the explosion would have destroyed them. As it was, a bit of wood landed on top of them without causing any harm."

"That's good," said Harry.

"I guess my potions book was destroyed," said Hermione sadly.

"I'm afraid so," said Minerva.

"Would you like to have a funeral for it, Hermione," asked Harry with a smirk.

"Hermione, stop," said the Headmistress firmly. "Deserving as my nephew may be, if you toss that pillow at him, it may touch the salve on his face and interrupt the healing process. If he retaliates, he may do the same to you. You'll have to get him back later, after you're fully recovered."

"Yes, ma'am."

As he looked at his aunt's blurry face, he decided to ask, "Where are my glasses?"

"They were broken in the explosion…"

"What?" he interrupted, panicking. "I can hardly see without them. I can't go back to classes tomorrow. I…"

"Harry," said Minerva gently. "You interrupted me. Madam Pomfrey performed a repairo spell on them once she was done treating you two. However, she kept them with her because she's afraid that if you wear them, they'll get the salve all over them and she'll have to reapply it to your face. I'm afraid you'll have to rough it until tomorrow morning."

"Then I guess I can't study even if I wanted to now," he replied.

"I suppose," agreed Hermione, "although I could read the next chapter of our defense book to you."

-

When Padma returned for a quick visit before Charms, she found Hermione reading a textbook out loud to Harry. Minerva had left to call both sets of parents with her mirror.

"I'm glad to see you're both awake," she said, smiling.

"Thanks for coming," said Harry.

"I'm glad to see you, of course," said Hermione, glancing at the clock on the wall, "but you've only got ten minutes to get to Charms."

"I just wanted to make sure you two were alright."

"We are," said Harry, "but Madam Pomfrey says we have to spend the night."

"Please come back after class to let us know what Professor Flitwick went over," asked Hermione.

"Sure," Padma said. "Do you know what went wrong with your potion?"

Harry nodded. "It was sabotaged."

-

They speculated for a few minutes until Padma had to leave, but they had no idea who in that classroom would want to sabotage their cauldron. Madam Pomfrey then gave them both potions to drink before lunch was brought for them. She also reminded them not to touch their faces when they got itchy later. Once she was done eating, Hermione resumed reading the textbook to Harry.

Later that day, the entire study group visited the two in the hospital wing. When they were told about the sabotage, Luna said she suspected Wracknoles. They left after an hour, and Hermione resumed reading to Harry, who drifted off to sleep while she was reading a chapter out of their Charms book.

He awoke in the middle of the night (he couldn't read the clock to see exactly what time it was) with his face extremely itchy like he'd been warned it would be, but knew that hadn't been why he'd woken up. There was someone else in the room that didn't belong there. He heard footsteps, but couldn't see anybody, even squinting. Suddenly, a blurry house-elf was standing on a chair next to his bed.

"Harry Potter, sir, must realize that Hogwarts is far too dangerous. Tribly hopes that Harry Potter will leave now."

"I must," Harry began, "Hold on. You caused the explosion. Didn't you?" he demanded.

The elf's ears drooped downward as she nervously fidgeted. "It was all for Harry Potter's own good…"

"YOU TRIED TO KILL ME AND HERMIONE FOR MY OWN GOOD!?"

"Not kill you!" the elf exclaimed, "Never kill you."

Harry reached out a hand and grabbed Tribbly angrily. "You could have KILLED us! If Hermione…"

"Wh-what's going on?" said a groggy Hermione, who had obviously just gotten up. The elf snapped her fingers and disappeared out of Harry's grasp.

"Go back to sleep, Hermione," said Harry gently. "I'll tell you about it in the morning. I'm sorry I woke you."

She turned on her bed while yawning. "Night, Harry," she said tiredly before going right back to sleep.

-

"That elf is insane!" declared Hermione the next morning in an uncharacteristically angry manner for talking about house-elves. She tried to kill us to get you to leave Hogwarts."

"I don't think she's right in the head," agreed Harry, who was happy to be wearing his glasses again. "I think Lucius hit her one too many times. Maybe we should turn him in for elf abuse."

"Perhaps you should wait on that for a more opportune moment," suggested Minerva, who was visiting them that morning before they left the hospital wing. "After all, you don't want her to think that freedom is a reward for trying to blow you two up." It was obvious that Aunt Minnie had no pity for Tribbly after the stunt she'd just pulled, and probably wanted to beat that elf herself. He quite understood her feelings. If the elf hadn't disappeared when she did, he'd have probably strangled her for hurting Hermione.

"I suppose we can wait," said Harry. He cleared his throat when Hermione glared at him. "Er, to get more evidence of the abuse." The fact that Hermione didn't object proved to Harry that Tribbly hadn't exactly endeared herself to his best friend, either.

-

For the next month, nothing was seen or heard of Tribbly or the Chamber of Secrets. They were happy to read in the Daily Prophet that Lockhart had been sentenced to five years in Azkaban, along with a hefty fine distributed to his victims. The most interesting thing that happened at Hogwarts was in late November, when Professor Burbage, the Muggle Studies teacher, took her third-year class (which included Cho Chang) to C.A.R.E. headquarters, where Harry and Hermione were excused from their classes to demonstrate their boom box and Game Boy for the class.

"But what's spinning the sedie?" asked one boy.

"The cd," said Hermione patiently, "which stands for compact disc, is being spun around inside the boom box by electricity."

"I don't see a plug," he answered, attempting to sound intelligent.

"That's because there isn't one," said Harry. "Muggles have two different basic ways of getting electricity to something. Plugs are one of them, and batteries are the other."

The whole class' eyes widened before a girl asked, "There are bat-trees in that?"

Harry could almost feel Hermione roll her eyes behind him. "Yes. There are bat-ter-ies inside it. Let me show you." He then opened the battery chamber to show them the four D batteries inside it while most of the students gasped in surprise.

"You see," said Professor Charity Burbage, "Muggles have found many fascinating ways to live without magic. How many of you have even heard of a magical device that holds music that you can listen to anytime you want? Not the Wireless that lets you listen to whatever they happen to be playing at the time. Something that actually stores music."

Only one person raised his hand. After being called on, the tall boy with blue eyes and brown hair said, "A Pensieve."

The teacher smiled. "Correct. Five points to Hufflepuff." She turned to the rest of her class. "A Pensieve is a very rare and expensive device that allows you to relive memories of your own, or anyone else who donates them. Those of you who went to Professor Snape's hearing saw many Pensieve memories played for us. If one donated the memory of a concert, then that would be the equivalent of a cd. The difference is that in the muggle world, they are relatively inexpensive and common. The Ministry uses small globes known as thought spheres to permanently record certain information for playback. If those were used to record music, they would be cheaper than getting a Pensieve, but still not as inexpensive as a cd. This is a way that the muggle world is superior to our own."

That declaration caused a lot of murmuring. The professor continued.

"I know that many of you have been taught that we are superior to muggles in every way, but the fact is that this is a lie. We simply have the ability to use magic. We are not superior to them in any other way. In fact, having to live without magic has made many muggles much smarter than us. They've actually had to figure out how to do things without waving a wand and reciting magic words. Next year, we'll be taking a trip to a house equipped with what's known as a television and I'll show you a type of wand that muggles invented, called a remote control."

Harry and Hermione were greatly amused by that comparison, and the rest of the class went very well. It was hard to believe how fascinated they were with the cd player, and the concept that each cd had something different on it. However, nothing compared to their reaction to Harry turning on a flashlight at the end of the lesson.

"What kind of a wand is that?" shouted one person.

"That's a powerful lumos spell you've got there, Harry," said another.

"That's not a spell," said Harry with a grin. "This is another muggle device that uses batteries called a flashlight. The muggles have their own equivalent to almost every spell we have."

"Even the dark spells?" asked Cho nervously.

"I'm afraid so," said Professor Burbage. "They have many weapons to hurt each other with. They have what's called a gun, which, similar to the flashlight, is like a wand that performs only one spell. It sends a small piece of lead called a bullet through you, putting a hole in your body. No shield spell can stop it. It can be as lethal, even to wizards, as the Killing Curse if it hits the correct parts of your body." The class gasped. "However, that's nothing compared to the weapons that muggle militaries have." She took a deep breath. "But, enough about that. Suffice it to say that both wizards and muggles have plenty of ways to kill each other. Any other questions?"

-

The year was proceeding normally after that, and most of the students were looking forward to visiting their families at Christmas. Brianna had mentioned that she'd been drafted to be in a kids' play at their church and had to go to practices. Ginny had been in good spirits ever since her Quidditch victory, and the others thought that she was back to her old self. On Friday, December 18th, Harry was walking with Hermione and Padma toward the Ravenclaw Common Room after dinner.

"I'm so glad that our last test is over!" said Padma.

"Me, too," agreed Harry. "Although I must admit that I much preferred Professor Tutamun's Defense final to what Lockhart would've given us."

Hermione said, "I thought…"

Harry did not hear whatever it was that his best friend thought, because at that moment, he heard something else.

"Let me rip you. Let me eat you. Let me kill…"

"What!" interrupted Harry.

The two girls looked astonished. Hermione asked, "Harry, what's wrong?"

"I heard it again. The same voice before Filch got petrified. This way." Without looking back, he ran in the direction the voice had been coming from, until he stopped at one of the strangest sights of his life.

The Ravenclaw ghost was lying down in mid-air, petrified. On the other side of her, Justin Finch Fletchley of Hufflepuff was on the floor, stiff as a board. Harry bent down to check Justin when a familiar voice called out. "You! I had hoped zat eet waz a coincedenze when you were wiz Mizter Filch. But now you are wiz ze next victim az well!" Professor LaVelle had her wand pointed at Harry.

"What is the meaning of this?" demanded Flitwick, as he came upon the situation. "Madam, why do you have a wand pointed at one of my students?"

"I have found zis boy at ze seen of yet anozer crime."

"Then let's call the headmistress," said Flitwick before summoning a Patronus to fetch Minerva.

"She iz hiz aunt. She will not punish him."

About a minute later, the Headmistress showed up and asked what had happened. After she'd been told what LaVelle saw and then what Hermione (who did not mention Harry hearing the voice) saw, she turned to her nephew. "Harry, I do believe you, but I will have to restrict your movements a bit to satisfy those that don't. I can't give you special treatment. You will not be allowed anywhere alone except for Ravenclaw Tower and the lavatories." She turned to the Potions teacher. "Will that satisfy you, or do you believe that Hermione Granger, a Muggle-born herself, is also attacking the Muggle-born students?"

"Zat will satisfy me, for now."

"Very well. Harry, I would like to talk to you alone, about our travel arrangements for the holiday."

"Alright."

They walked in silence until they reached an empty classroom. Once they were inside, Minerva silenced the door and rounded on her nephew. "I know that you haven't been attacking people, Harry. But I also know that you're not telling me everything you know. There has got to be a reason that you've been at the scenes of both attacks. Don't try to tell me that it's just bad luck."

Harry looked at the floor and shifted nervously.

"Harry," she said as she squatted down to look him in the face. "Harry, I love you, and I want to help, but you've got to be honest with me."

"I, I've been hearing a voice."

"What?" asked Minerva, looking a bit nervous.

"It was talking about killing. I followed it to Mr. Filch the day he was attacked, and to Justin today." He didn't notice, but a few tars had started to flow down his face. "Hermione and Padma couldn't hear the voice, but I didn't attack anyone. I didn't want to tell you cause you probably think I'm crazy now. I…"

Aunt Minnie engulfed him in a hug. "I don't think you're crazy, Harry. I don't understand what's going on, but I know it's not your fault." She backed up to look him in the eyes again. "I also know that the voice you're hearing is real. Otherwise it wouldn't lead you to the victims. However, if you hear that voice again, don't follow it. Instead, call me on your mirror. Bring it with you all the time when you're at Hogwarts."

"Okay, Aunt Minnie. But how can I hear a voice that no one else can?"

She hugged him tightly again. "I don't know. It may have something to do with your true identity. I just don't know. I will try to find out why."

-

The next day at their study group, Ginny seemed very withdrawn and quiet again, and Harry wondered if it had something to do with the attack. However, he pushed that thought to the back of his mind as he prepared for Christmas break.

Like last year, both Harry and Minerva rode the carriage to Hogsmeade with his friends and then apparated (Minnie side-alonged him) from there to the magical section of the airport, and flooed to America from there.

-

"Harry!" shouted Cindy McGonagall as she ran to her son and engulfed him in a big hug. Harry had to put down Hedwig's cage. She was still squawking in protest of floo travel. "You've gotten taller," his mom commented when she let him breathe.

"Aunt Minnie!" said Brianna while hugging her great aunt. "I've missed you. I can't wait until next year when I get to see you every day."

"But then you won't see us every day, Brianna," countered Mark, before he hugged his aunt.

They made their way home from O'Hare, and everyone but the travelers went to bed, because it was still very early for them. As had happened the previous year, the Christmas tree was already up, but the presents weren't under it. They had saved that job for Harry, which he did quite quickly with his perfect summoning charm. When he was dividing them up, he noticed one labeled `To Harry and Brianna, From Mom and Dad.' It was a rectangular box wrapped in green paper, and had gotten his attention.

"Don't look too closely at the presents," said Minerva, who was sitting on the couch, with a smirk.

"Don't worry, Aunt Minnie. I'd never peek at my presents in front of you."

She chuckled slightly. "I do believe that."

A few hours later, the rest of the family went into the living room. Mark said, "Good. You've put the presents under the tree. I see you put the one to you and your sister at the front."

"Um, well, it looked interesting, but I didn't peek."

"Sure you didn't," said Brianna sarcastically.

"Aunt Minnie was here the whole time," he answered defensively.

"Anyway," said Cindy. "We thought we'd let the two of you open it now, since Harry won't be able to use it while he's at Hogwarts."

"Sounds good to me," said Harry as he grabbed the gift. His sister joined in ripping the paper off of the box to find…a Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Both kids were thrilled to death to have the latest video game system, and Harry had it hooked up to their TV in fifteen minutes, and they were playing Super Mario World.

-

Most of that day was spent `testing' the new gift, and over the next few days, Harry was taken to his eye doctor and dentist. His mom also made sure to measure him so she could buy him new clothes. She didn't bother buying that kind of thing until he was back home because she wanted them to actually fit him. Harry talked with Hermione on his mirror a few times, and also arranged to see most of his local friends after Christmas.

His family went to a Christmas play on Thursday, Christmas Eve, at their church, where Brianna played the starring role of Mary. Harry thought she did a good job, but would never admit it. He said she did okay.

-

Harry woke up early the next morning to the sound of his mirror being called. Groggily, he grabbed his glasses with one hand and his mirror with the other.

After yawning, he said, "Hello," sleepily.

"Happy Christmas, Harry!" said his best friend excitedly.

Harry blinked as what she said registered. "Oh, Merry Christmas, Hermione."

Her expression faltered for a moment. "I didn't wake you, did I? I thought I'd waited long enough."

He couldn't help but smile. "Don't worry about it. You seem happy today. Did you get a good haul?"

"Yes! I got a lot of good presents. The best one is this!" He saw that she laid her mirror on the floor and then held a familiar ginger cat in front of it. "I got Crookshanks!" she declared. "Remember, he's that cat I saw last summer at…"

"Now I remember," Harry said with a grin. Not that he liked the cat so much, but that he liked seeing his friend happy. "So nobody bought him, then. That's lucky."

"Yes! I'm so glad mum and dad remembered, and I couldn't wait to tell you! I guess I should let you get out of bed and open your presents. Bye." His very excited friend hung up before he could say anything else. He chuckled as he got out of bed.

Harry made his way downstairs to find Brianna already there waiting.

"You didn't happen to wake mom and dad up, did you?" she asked.

"No, but they should be up soon. Hermione just woke me up."

"She called you, huh. Couldn't wait to wish her boyfriend a…"

"I'm NOT her boyfriend. We're just good friends." Harry then grinned. "How's Bobby doing?"

"Fine," she said as her ears turned pink.

"Merry Christmas!" came the voice of their dad behind them. They turned to see him, their mom and their aunt all joining them.

"Merry Christmas, dad," the siblings said together. After they'd all greeted each other, they started opening their presents. Harry got mostly clothes, cd's and Game Boy games from his family, although his aunt had gotten him an illustrated book on Seeker tactics. Hermione had given him two new games. Other Hogwarts friends had gotten him various magical sweets. The last gift he opened was by far the most interesting.

When he picked it up, he found that it was very light. He unwrapped it and something fluid and silvery gray went slithering to the floor where it lay in gleaming folds. Harry gasped. The boy had read about something that fit this description, but surely no one would give him an invisibility cloak.

"What is it," asked Brianna. He glanced up to see everyone staring at it.

He picked up the shining, silvery cloth off the floor. It was strange to the touch, like water woven into material. A note fell out of it as he did so. Aunt Minnie picked up the note. Her face paled as she glanced at it. She absently passed to note to Harry, who looked at the narrow, loopy writing he had never seen before.

"Your father left this in my possession before he died. It is time it was returned to you. Use it well.

A Very Happy Christmas to you, Harry Potter."

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

A/N. This story is DH compliant, aside from the description of Ravenclaw Tower (including the entrance), which I have no intention of changing. However, I felt it would be prudent to mention that one of the portraits in the Common Room is that of Rowena Ravenclaw. I would have had to change chapter two to include the statue mentioned in DH otherwise, should it come into play…

By the way, Snape wasn't in class to mention Polyjuice Potion in this story, which is why they're not brewing it. Besides, I don't want to repeat exactly what happened in the books. They'll investigate in their own way…

-->