Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry McGonagall by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry McGonagall

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall - Chapter 20 - The Chamber of Secrets

"A basilisk?" repeated the concerned voice of the headmistress. Harry and Hermione had immediately come to her with the information the brightest witch of her age had gathered. Aunt Minnie looked over the ripped-out page that described the monster. "That's why you've been hearing the voice. You're a Parselmouth and it's a snake." Harry and Hermione both nodded. "That certainly explains the roosters as well."

"Roosters?" asked Harry.

"Their crow will kill a basilisk," said Hermione haughtily. "Didn't you read that page?"

"Of course I read it," said Harry while rolling his eyes. "I meant what Aunt Minnie said about it explaining something."

"Oh," replied Hermione.

"A few months ago, Madam Grubbly-Plank told me that all the roosters on the grounds had been killed. We ordered more, but they were killed as well. Therefore, I decided to wait until whatever beast was slaughtering them was caught before subjecting more of them to that fate." She sighed. "I shall have to discretely order another. Hopefully, it'll get here in time to help us."

"Hopefully?" questioned Hermione.

"It takes awhile to acquire livestock, especially from the muggle world. All kinds of Ministry parchmentwork. You'd think I was ordering a basilisk. It took a month for the roosters to arrive last time."

"A month?" questioned Harry.

His aunt nodded before turning her attention toward Hermione. Her features conformed to what Harry had learned to be her `teaching face.' "Miss Granger, I must say that I'm disappointed that you would rip a page out of a library book."

Harry suppressed a grin as he watched his best friend shrink under the headmistress' glare. She put her head down and mumbled, "I, er, was excited that I'd found the answer."

"I'm quite pleased that you found the answer as well, and understand that students aren't allowed to check out that book, but you could have copied the information down or asked me to accompany you to the library to examine the text. I would've given Ravenclaw thirty points, but because of that, I'm only awarding twenty points."

"Yes, ma'am," said Hermione, still examining the carpet of the headmistress' office.

"Together, we shall go to the library and tell Madam Pince of your transgression. You will then repair the book and accept whatever punishment our librarian deems appropriate."

"Yes, ma'am," seemed to be the only thing Harry's best friend was capable of saying.

"Oh, and Miss Granger," said Minnie before pausing for a moment. "If your suspicion turns out to be correct, you will receive a special award for services to the school."

Hermione finally looked up with a hint of a smile on her face.

-

"I thought better of you, Miss Granger!" hissed Madam Pince at the second-year Ravenclaw girl. Harry, Hermione and Professor McGonagall had all gone to the library and explained what had happened to the librarian. "I thought you respected books! But ripping them to shreds like some illiterate barbarian! What's next? Will you be burning them?"

"No, ma'am," said Hermione contritely. Harry could tell that his friend was on the verge of tears. "I'm very sorry. It won't happen again. Please…"

"Tomorrow, you shall spend your library time dusting books the muggle way."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And then we'll pretend that this whole ugly incident never happened."

Hermione looked up to see a slight smile on Madam Pince's face. If Harry didn't know any better, he'd have guessed that the librarian actually liked Hermione. "Thank you, Madam Pince."

"But if you ever do something like that again…"

"I won't; I promise."

"But if you do, you'll be banned from the library. Now, let's get that book."

-

Hermione easily performed a "Repairo," on the tome, and when they were back in Ravenclaw Tower, Harry commented that her detention was unfair because of how easily the book was fixed, but Hermione argued, "I deserved it. I wasn't thinking properly," so he let the issue drop.

The next month went by slowly. Aunt Minnie had ordered a rooster, but commented that it wouldn't help unless she found the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets. Every teacher that escorted students began looking around every corner with a small mirror, but didn't explain why to the students. The trio was getting closer to the end of the Animagus book, and Harry was tempted to begin the process outlined in the tome, but Hermione reminded him that, "Your Aunt's under enough pressure as it is. She doesn't need her underage nephew caught trying something like that, especially if they find out she gave you the book."

Malfoy seemed to have realized that while Harry was punished for beating him up, he wasn't punished for provoking the headmistress' nephew. Therefore, he made it a point to start insulting Harry and his friends (especially Hermione) whenever possible, calling them by the appropriate racial slur of mudblood, blood-traitor or son-of-a-squib whenever he saw them. Hermione had a very hard time stopping Harry from reviewing Draco's earlier lesson on manners. Instead, they began planning a major prank on him.

Harry, Hermione and Padma (after they shared their suspicions with her) kept an eye on Ginny whenever they could, which wasn't often because of the new restrictions on students. They were glad they weren't the only ones who noticed something wrong with Ginny. Apparently her brother Percy thought she looked sick because he made her take a pepper-up potion that caused smoke to come out of her ears.

Harry commented, "If he'd have done more than look at her - maybe actually talk to her - he'd have realized that her problem isn't that she's got a cold."

"At least he's trying to help," defended Hermione. "Her other brothers aren't even doing that."

"Yeah," grumbled Harry. "I suppose the twins spend more time with her - at least at Quidditch practices - but that kid Ron does his best to sit as far away from her as possible at meals, and I can't imagine him acting any better in the Gryffindor common room. How could he treat his own sister like that?"

"I heard from Parvati that he was really bad after he found out she was Gryffindor's Seeker," commented Padma. "He started yelling at her at their victory party about how she always gets what she wants."

"He's jealous? That's all?" asked Harry, clearly appalled. "I'd never treat Brianna like that over jealousy! I know last summer when I was mad at her I was a bit like that, but that wasn't jealousy. She'd actually done something wrong!"

Hermione agreed. "Even then, that very justified anger didn't last as long as Ron's unjustified anger."

-

"Thanks for walking us back, Headmistress," said Harry with a grin. It was Saturday, April 3rd, and some members of C.A.R.E., including him, Hermione, Padma, Neville, Luna and a few others were on their way back to the castle after spending a few hours at headquarters. The trio had noticed that Ginny hadn't shown up. It was just one week before the Ravenclaw versus Slytherin match had been scheduled, but as the Chamber of Secrets hadn't been discovered, it looked like they were not going to play that match.

"It's no trouble, whatsoever, Mr. McGonagall," she replied with a hint of a smile as she walked through the door after checking the Entrance Hall with her mirror. "I'm glad we get to spend some time together."

"Me, too, Aunt Minnie," he whispered.

"I noticed that Miss Weasley didn't join you this week," she remarked, casually. Harry had confided his suspicions to her, but she agreed that without proof, they'd be nothing but vague accusations.

"Yeah, so did I," replied Harry. "She didn't say anything. I wonder…"

"Let me rip you. Let me tear your flesh. Let me kill this time!"

Harry paled. "It's happening again, Aunt Minnie!" he whispered so that only she could hear.

"Oh, no!" she replied, now going pale herself. "We have to get the students to safety first before I can investigate." She quickened her pace and the students followed, wondering what was going on.

Harry turned to look Hermione in the eyes and nodded, answering her nonverbal question. As he turned back, he saw Hermione whisper something to Padma. They were nearly to their destination before what appeared to be a herd of Ravenclaw students ran toward them, looking terrified.

"Miss Clearwater!" said Minerva, looking at the prefect at the front of the group, "What has happened?"

The 6th-year girl looked terrified. "We were on our way back from the library when Professor Trelawney and Sean Bradley looked around the corner through a mirror and collapsed, petrified. We all turned back in a hurry and came here another way."

"Very well," said Minerva. Let's get you all into the tower." She took a deep breath. "I'll have to speak with the rest of the staff, but it is likely that the school will be closing. It wouldn't hurt to be ready to leave tomorrow."

"Headmistress," said Harry, "Do you think we should talk to that person we discussed?"

"I will," she said, "but you need to go into your dorm."

"But I have to be there," argued Harry.

"You mean, we," said Hermione with Padma standing next to her. "We're the ones who noticed things."

Aunt Minnie looked at the determined expressions on each of their faces and sighed, "I believe that Cindy and Mark will murder me for this, and if they don't Mr. and Mrs. Granger shall see to it, but let's go. I hope I don't regret this."

"I just need to get something out of the tower," said Harry. "I'll be right back."

Minerva put her wand to her throat and made an announcement for all students to return to their dorms, and Harry was back before she was done. The four of them made their way to her office to pick up the rooster she'd ordered and then to Gryffindor Tower, with Aunt Minnie looking around each corner with her mirror. The petrified victims could wait a few minutes, since getting moved to the hospital wing didn't help them anyway.

-

The door opened, and for the first time, Harry looked around Gryffindor Tower, taking in the scarlet carpet and chairs, and was once again thankful that he was a Ravenclaw. He much preferred the color blue. Sitting in one of those red chairs near the fireplace, was the girl they wished to speak to. She looked distraught, and was staring at her diary, as though contemplating throwing it in the fire.

"Ginny," said Harry, startling her.

She looked up. "Harry, Hermione, Padma, what are you doing here?" She then noticed the person behind them and began trembling slightly. "P-Professor McGonagall, er, what are you doing here?"

"Miss Weasley, it has come to my attention that you have been behaving in an…unusual manner. May I ask…"

"I'm sorry, Headmistress!" she shouted as tears filled her eyes. "I think it was me, but I think this diary's been making me! Tom…"

"Who's Tom?" asked Harry.

She held up the diary and showed the first page that had the name "T. M. Riddle" on it.

Harry gasped. "T. Tom. Tom Riddle? That's Voldemort's real name!"

Suddenly, Ginny's eyes glazed over and she quickly drew and pointed her wand. "Avada Kedavra!" she hissed in an unearthly voice. A green beam of light shot straight from the tip and hit the target - the rooster in the cage Minerva was holding. It fell down dead as Ginny got up.

She pointed her wand again when a voice came from behind her. "What are you doing, Ginny? That's the Death Curse!" It was her brother, Ron.

She turned toward him with a look of contempt on her face. "Now you suddenly care about your sister?" She moved her wand in an unusual way and suddenly an incredible force pushed everybody away from her. Harry managed to dive at the last second and avoided the majority of the blast, but it still knocked the wind out of him. She marched determinedly out the door. Harry glanced at the others and saw they were unconscious. He knew that he'd lose Ginny if he waited to revive them. He bolted out the door just in time to see her turn a corner. He pulled his invisibility cloak out of his pocket and followed as he silenced his shoes.

-

Harry couldn't believe what he'd just seen. He'd followed the obviously possessed Ginny into a girl's bathroom, wondering if she just really taking a necessary detour. He'd actually considered waiting outside for her, but thought he'd regret it. Instead of walking to a stall, she walked up to the sink and said, "Open," in Parseltongue.

The sinks moved to reveal a passage and she'd jumped down in it. Harry was going to follow when the sinks moved back to their original position. He walked up to them and found a snake carved on one of the faucets and hissed, "Open."

Deciding that being invisible was pointless during the jump down, because he was sure to make noise anyway, Harry stuffed his cloak back in his pocket and took a leap of faith. He found himself riding down a slimy slide, and was glad he wasn't getting his invisibility cloak all filthy. When he landed, he was ready to summon his wands out of their holsters, but found it was unnecessary as the room he'd landed in was free of all life. All that was in it was a huge collection of dry rat bones. He found himself wishing he'd brought his broom so he could fly over them. Not only would that be faster and less disgusting, but it was also quieter. There was no way he could silence all the crunching bones as he walked forward in the only direction he could go. He knew that with all that noise, there was no point in trying to hide. He slowly made his way forward, passing over a very old snakeskin, until finally commanding a door to, "Open," in Parseltongue, revealing the Chamber of Secrets.

-

As Harry stepped into the chamber, he noticed several things at once. The walls were lined with statues of snakes, and in front of him was a huge statue of the ugliest face Harry had ever seen, which he assumed was Salazar Slytherin. Lying on the ground before him, as though a sacrifice on an alter, was Ginny Weasley. She still had the Diary held loosely in her hands, though she appeared unconscious. Bending over her was the ghostly form of an older teenage boy grabbing her wand.

Having a hunch about the identity of the ghost-like form, but not knowing what he was planning on doing to Ginny, Harry felt he had to act now. Summoning his main wand into his hand, he took a step forward.

"Tom Riddle, I presume?" The specter turned and looked at him in shock, immediately pointing his wand at the intruder. "Or should I say, Voldemort?"

"How did you get in here?" Riddle hissed.

"I followed Ginny," Harry said simply.

"But the door was closed."

Harry grinned. "You're not the only Parselmouth around here."

Tom looked at Harry with a new interest, almost bordering on respect. "Is the McGonagall family related to Slytherin?"

"I have no idea," he said, knowing that it wouldn't make any difference in this case anyway.

"No matter, no matter," said Riddle. "You're obviously talented. There's no reason for us to fight. You could join…"

"Expelliarmus!" whispered Harry, hoping to catch Tom off guard.

Unfortunately, Riddle was a very skilled duelist and repelled the hex with one stroke of his wand and had disarmed Harry a moment later with another silent spell.

"Fool!" hissed Riddle as he caught Harry's wand with his left hand. "Did you really think you could beat me? Crucio!" As Harry writhed on the floor in tremendous pain, Voldemort continued to talk. "Had you not tried to attack me, your death would've been swift, but now I want to make you suffer a bit." While Harry was still in agony, Riddle hissed to the statue and the mouth opened. Harry closed his eyes when he realized that the basilisk would be coming.

The pain stopped as Riddle said, "I'll let the basilisk finish you off slowly," and then hissed, "Keep your eyes closed. I want you to slowly rip him into pieces while he suffers."

"Yessss, masssster," replied the snake, and Harry decided to risk squinting at the basilisk, to see that the sixty-foot snake was obeying as it approached him as he was still lying on the ground.

Harry realized that he had only one chance, and he was going to take it. Keeping his left hand hidden from Tom's view, he summoned his extra wand and prepared to cast his most powerful spell. He'd learned that the snake's skin was protected from almost every hex, so he needed to shoot in its mouth. The beast was now close enough and poised above him, ready to strike with its mouth open.

Harry aimed his wand and shot his most powerful cutting spell, which managed to cut through the top of the snake's head, splashing blood everywhere. Harry closed his eyes and rolled out of the way as the beast shrieked until falling with a loud THUD.

"You may have killed the basilisk," said Tom, causing Harry to open his eyes, "but I will kill you! Avada…" Harry jumped behind the corpse for protection. "You can't hide forever!" shouted Tom angrily.

With sudden inspiration, Harry crawled toward the basilisk's open mouth and whispered, "Accio Diary!" while pointing his wand toward Ginny.

It took about two seconds for Riddle to see what was happening. "What!" he shouted as Harry caught the diary. Once more, he shouted, "Avada…" as Harry jammed the diary into the snake's largest fang while still on his knees. Tom dropped the wands he was holding as he screamed in pain while a river of black ink started pouring from the diary all over the snake's mouth and down Harry's arms. A hole was forming in Riddle's chest. Harry pulled the book down and opened it, forcing it once again into the monster's now black teeth, releasing yet more ink. With a final scream, the specter disappeared.

Harry released the breath he didn't realize he was holding as he sat down, finally relaxing. After about five seconds, a girl's voice brought him back into the present. "Harry, you were right. It was me. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to. Riddle made me do it."

He turned to face the trembling girl to see that tears were streaming from her eyes. Although they didn't look alike, in a way she reminded him of his kid sister. "I know," he said as he got up to walk toward her.

"I'm going to be expelled!" Ginny wept as Harry helped her awkwardly to her feet. "I've looked forward to coming to Hogwarts ever since B-Bill came and n-now I'll have to leave and - w-what'll Mum and Dad say?"

As Harry looked down at this weeping girl and saw how scared she was, he couldn't help but want to comfort her. He wiped his right hand on his school robe, figuring it was already ruined, and put it on her shoulder. "What they'll say, Ginny, is that they love you."

"What if they don't believe me?" she asked, clearly terrified.

"Then I'll make sure they know it wasn't your fault," he said confidently.

"Thanks," she managed to say.

"That's what friends are for. Come on. I'll bet a lot of people are worried about us."

After collecting the fallen wands and the diary, they walked side by side out of the chamber and down the corridor until they reached the entrance. Harry looked at Ginny. "You, er, don't remember how to get out of here, do you?"

She shook her head and started sobbing softly. "No. I don't even remember coming down here. I'd just black out and wake up somewhere else. The last thing I remember today is you saying that Tom was really You-Know-Who."

"That's fine," he said quickly, not wanting to get her crying in earnest, and began looking around. "There's got to be a way out." His eyes finally rested on a carving of a snake. Concentrating on that, Harry hissed, "Exit." He then heard a soft, familiar sound that he couldn't identify until he looked in the place he'd come out of. The bottom of the slide he'd come out of seemed to be moving up like a conveyer belt. He didn't know how long that would last, so he said, "Come on, Ginny," before getting on and riding up the mucky slide.

When he reached the top and was back in the bathroom, he found the ghost of a girl with glasses watching him. "What are you doing in my bathroom? You're a boy and this is the girls' lavatory!"

"I'm, um, sorry to have disturbed you. I'll be, um, leaving in a minute." He was relieved to see Ginny arrive.

"You're here, too!" shrieked the ghost. "I know! Let's all have a party in Moaning Myrtle's toilet! She won't care!" She then dove into a toilet, causing it to flush as she disappeared.

"That was a…unique ghost," said Harry.

"I g-guess so," Ginny agreed.

Taking a deep breath, Harry said, "We'd best get going. I'd imagine my aunt, along with most of the teachers, is in the hospital wing."

"Wh-what happened?" Ginny asked fearfully.

As gently as he could, Harry explained what had occurred from the time she was possessed as they made their way to the hospital wing. She was devastated to hear she'd used the killing curse, even if it was on a rooster. As they approached their destination, the headmistress' voice carried.

"I don't care what you say, Poppy, I'm going to join the search for my nephew!"

"But you've got a concussion! You won't be any help if you…"

"I think I can resolve this argument," said Harry from the doorway, grinning broadly. "I'll find myself."

"Harry!" shouted Minerva, as well as Hermione and Padma, who were also in hospital beds, along with a few Gryffindors who'd been nearby. The heads of house were in there as well, surrounding the headmistress' bed.

Hermione's face turned frightened as she noticed Harry's companion. "Harry, is G-Ginny…"

"Ginny's not possessed anymore," said Harry firmly, "but could probably use Madam Pomfrey's help."

At that moment, a distraught-looking middle-aged couple with red hair came bursting into the room. The woman looked around until her eyes rested on the girl who was obviously her daughter. "Ginny?! Professor Sinistra said you were…missing. That you…" At that moment the little girl ran into her mum's arms crying.

"I'm sorry! Tom made me! I…"

As Molly Weasley hugged her daughter tightly, she asked, "What happened?" Ginny started crying again.

"I was just about to examine Miss Weasley for injuries," interrupted Madam Pomfrey, "and I believe that Mr. McGonagall was about to explain what happened. You may wish to listen to what he has to say." She was gesturing toward Harry in her effort to get them to

"McGonagall?" Arthur asked, looking between Harry and Minerva.

"Yes," the headmistress answered. "Harry is my nephew's son and has just brought Ginny back." Looking at him, she said, "These are Arthur and Molly Weasley - Ginny's parents."

"It's good to meet you," said Arthur, looking at the filthy 12-year-old with curiosity and gratitude. He shook his hand. "It appears that we owe you our gratitude." Molly also shook Harry's hand and thanked him for bringing Ginny back.

As Poppy examined the youngest Weasley, Harry told his story of what happened beginning with Ginny's unusual behavior leading them to confront Ginny in the Gryffindor common room until they left the Chamber of Secrets, leaving out the part about wearing an invisibility cloak to follow her. At different times, Molly looked like she wanted to interrupt, but Arthur stopped her with a pat on her hand.

When Harry was finished, Minerva said, "Well, I believe that I promised Miss Granger a reward for special services to the school since her theory about Slytherin's monster being a basilisk turned out to be true." Hermione blushed. "I also believe that Harry is entitled to one for ridding us of that beast."

"Thanks," he managed.

"I also think that fifty points to Ravenclaw is in order." Flitwick nodded approvingly at Minerva's statement.

"Regarding Miss Weasley, no punishment will be given. Older and more experienced wizards than her have been hoodwinked by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named." She sighed. "However, there are many witnesses to the incident in her common room, and we can't obliviate them all. Therefore, I believe that the only way to stop the rumors that are probably already spreading is to tell everyone the truth at dinner tonight."

Arthur nodded sadly. "I suppose so. We'll tell Ginny."

"Very well," said Minerva. "I will also announce that the restrictions will now be lifted since Slytherin's monster has been defeated. I believe that Professor LaVelle may wish to harvest the basilisk for potion ingredients."

Harry looked a bit shocked before saying, "She'll claim I simply got tired of sending the basilisk to petrify muggle-borns, and that's why I killed it."

"It's either her or I call Mr. Snape," she threatened, causing Harry to pale. "I just don't want the parts wasted." With a genuine smile, she added, "I'll bet you can make a great deal of money from selling it."

"Alright, I'll take you and Professor LaVelle down there, but I don't want to watch you cut that thing open."

"I would like to assist," came Hermione's voice from the bed she was lying in, causing both Harry and Minnie to turn to face her. "Especially if I can get extra credit."

-

The next week passed happily as the students were once again free to roam the halls without supervision. Minerva had told all the students that Ginny Weasley had been bewitched and requested that no one press her to talk about it. Most students seemed to accept that explanation of Ginny's actions, but a few didn't. Draco Malfoy had been caught harassing her by Professor Sinistra and lost ten points from Slytherin and got a detention.

Quidditch was resumed, so the Ravenclaw and Slytherin teams got as much practice in as possible in anticipation of the game that would be held that Saturday. After one night, the only people left in the hospital wing were the petrified victims, who wouldn't be cured for nearly two months because the Mandrakes weren't mature yet.

Plans were made for an excursion into the Chamber of Secrets for the day after the upcoming match, so that it wouldn't interfere with the much needed practice. As Bradley was now petrified, he would not be able to play Chaser for the Ravenclaw team, so Michelle replaced him with Hermione for that game. She was both nervous and excited as Harry tried to encourage her.

"I know you'll be great!" he asserted. "You've really gotten good, and your Nimbus 2001 is better than anything the snakes have."

"But what if I get nervous and freeze up?"

Harry smiled at his best friend. "I doubt that'll happen."

"But I'll be in front of so many people…"

"Does that make you forget answers in class when you're called on?"

She blushed. "Well, no, but it's more…"

"It wouldn't matter if it was a million people in class. You'd still get the right answer. Now, the right answer is catching, passing and scoring with the Quaffle."

"I suppose," she said, noncommittally.

"Whatever happens, I'll be proud of you."

-

"Welcome to the Ravenclaw versus Slytherin match!" announced Lee Jordan, "Our first game since Quidditch has resumed!" The crowd cheered loudly. "And here come the Ravenclaws! At the front of the line is the lovely Michelle Hamilton - sorry Headmistress - captain and Chaser, followed by Roger Davies - Chaser - and Hermione Granger - reserve Chaser replacing Sean Bradley in her debut game. The list went on until he finally said, "and Harry McGonagall - Seeker!" to tremendous applause.

"And now, the Slytherin team!" There were more boo's than cheers as all the players from Captain/Chaser Marcus Flint to Seeker Terrence Higgs were announced. Harry grinned when he saw Michelle holding her own in the ridiculous pre-game handshake. He even chuckled afterwards when Flint flexed his fingers as though they were slightly hurt. Madam Hooch gave her usual `clean game' speech, and the balls were released.

Harry flew his Lightning Bolt high in the air and began his quest for the Snitch, glancing at the action whenever he could.

"And Michelle Hamilton has just stolen the Quaffle right out of Flint's slimy hands! Sorry, Headmistress," said Lee as he sat next to Aunt Minnie, who refused to give up her position of keeping the commentary as unbiased as possible. "What! That filthy Slytherin cheat! Flint's just punched Hamilton in the face, making her drop the Quaffle. Her boyfriend's gonna be paying Flint a visit after the game. Madam Hooch…has actually called a penalty on Slytherin. Sorry, Professor. I'm just not used to it yet."

Harry laughed at Jordan's comment as he looked at Michelle in concern, noticing that she was already forming a black eye. He gripped his broom tightly as he felt himself get angry. Even if he was mostly over his crush, he was fond of his captain, even if she didn't understand why he had to beat Draco up. He watched her make the penalty shot she was given, easily winning more points. He then resumed his search for the evasive Snitch, which had yet to show itself.

A half-hour into the game, Jordan announced, "And Granger now has the Quaffle! She avoids one Bludger. The other barely grazes her shoulder as she continues toward the Slytherin hoops."

Harry glanced at his friend and saw her determined face as she faked out the Keeper until Lee shouted, "She scores! The game is sixty to thirty with Ravenclaw in the lead." With Madam Hooch actually giving Slytherin penalties, their complete lack of Quidditch skills was showing up more and more. It was at that moment Harry noticed Padma holding a banner that depicted an eagle with a snake in its beak. He grinned and moved his gaze to finally see the Snitch on the other side of the pitch - about ten feet behind Higgins. He did the only thing he could and dove toward the ground in the middle of the pitch.

"It looks like McGonagall has seen the Snitch! Higgs is trying to catch up. McGonagall avoids a Bludger, slowing down a bit. Higgs is near him." Harry noticed the other Bludger was headed toward him, and that he was directly between Higgs and that Bludger, and took his chance. At the last second he pulled up out of the way and toward the actual location of the winged ball. He heard the THUD of the Bludger ramming Higgs. "The Slytherins hit their own Seeker with a Bludger! He barely stayed on his broom! It looks like McGonagall's heading another direction. Was that a feint? Higgs is finally following Harry as he reaches out his hand. McGonagall got the Snitch! Ravenclaw wins two-hundred ten to thirty! The Slytherins are out of the running for the House cup!"

All the Ravenclaw players flew together to congratulate themselves. Harry found an ecstatic Hermione and shouted, "I knew you'd do great!"

-

Even though in truth, Hermione had only scored one of the six goals the team had made, she still felt great about it. She knew that Bradley would've done better if he hadn't been petrified, but she really felt that she was part of the team - more than she had before. When they'd exited the changing rooms, she hugged Harry in her excitement.

"I actually scored!"

With a huge smile, he said, "I never had a doubt in my mind!"

-

The next morning, the school, and specifically the Ravenclaw team, was still talking about the game when Harry, Hermione, Headmistress McGonagall and Professor LaVelle left breakfast to head toward the Chamber of Secrets. The Potions teacher had agreed to help in exchange for being able to keep some of the rare items they were removing from the basilisk. Harry was uncomfortable revealing his Parseltongue ability to the teacher who had accused him of being the Heir of Slytherin and had talked it over with his aunt, who came up with a solution. After they went into Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, Minerva took out her wand.

"I'm sorry, Sharon, Hermione, but I really don't want anyone else to learn the password, so I'd appreciate it if you'll allow me to cast a spell on you to prevent you from hearing it. Harry already knows it since he followed Ginny, but has promised not to reveal it to anyone. Also, once the spell is cast, would you please turn around so you can't read lips?"

Hermione had been warned about this and cooperated immediately, while Professor LaVelle seemed irritated, but allowed the spell to be cast on her. Harry hissed the word, "Open," in snake language, and watched as the sinks moved apart. Minerva cancelled the spell on the others and they watched, fascinated by what they were seeing.

Before anyone could comment, Harry jumped down the hole and disappeared from view. They'd all been warned about the slimy entrance and had appropriately dressed in old rags they didn't mind getting dirty.

Grinning, Harry commented, "If we slide down that a few more times, it'll probably be clean," after the rest landed.

"I do not believe zat I would like to make a habit of zis," said LaVelle.

"Nor I," agreed Aunt Minnie.

Harry took the lead and began walking. "Since there was no choice," he said, "I decided that this must have been the way she went."

"Makes sense," commented Hermione.

"Oh, by the way," said the Headmistress, "I told Albus Dumbledore about what we were doing, and he requested certain items."

"Oh?" asked Harry, not sure what to think.

"I told him that it was up to you, Harry, since you located and killed the basilisk, but that I'd recommend that you sell him what he wants at a discount."

Harry grinned at the idea of making a profit from selling this to the former headmaster, but he did realize that Dumbledore could make a lot of trouble for him if he wanted. "What does he want?"

"I've got a small list here, but the main thing he requested is five liters of basilisk venom."

"Fine," agreed Harry just as they walked over the old snake skin. "Do you think this is worth anything?"

"Possibly," said Sharon. "Ve might as well take it along." She then took off her backpack and they stuffed it inside. Harry happily noted that it was bottomless, so it would be able to carry everything.

When they reached the door, Aunt Minnie used the same silencing spell to prevent LaVelle from finding out Harry spoke Parseltongue and they entered the chamber. It already stank in there from the rotting corpse.

The Potions teacher muttered what Harry believed to be a French expletive and turned to him. "You faced zis beast by yourzelf and zlew it? You are very brave and did not deserve ze treatment I `ave given you. I apologize for accusing you."

Harry wasn't entirely sure if he wanted to forgive her or not, but at the same time, she was one of his teachers and did teach Potions very well. He sighed. "I guess I can forgive you, but why wouldn't you believe me?"

"I zaw you pointing your wand at ze cat," she began, before lowering her head. "Zat iz not true. Zat iz not why I inzizted. I…"

"What is it, Sharon?" asked McGonagall, now looking somewhere between concerned and angry.

"Mizter Malfoy threatened my family if I did not cooperate. He zaid zat there would be occuranzes at `ogwartz, and zat I waz to bring suspicion on `arry McGonagall."

"He what!?" shouted Harry. "I knew he was behind it!"

"He zaid it would disgrace ze Headmiztress." She began sobbing as she looked at Harry. "You made it easy when I caught you the first time."

"I suppose so," agreed Harry, "but how did you know…"

"When zere waz an attack? After each attack, a note would appear in my quarterz, zo I would hurry zer. You always zeemed to arrive before me. How?"

Harry exchanged a look between his aunt and his best friend. "I'm sorry. I…somehow…sensed…when an attack occurred." It wasn't a lie. Hearing was one of the five senses.

LaVelle looked at him in awe. "Are you a seer?"

Harry did his best to stop the smile from appearing on his face, but Hermione didn't try to hide hers. "I don't think so," said Harry. "I'm not planning on taking Divination, either."

"Perhaps you should," the teacher insisted. "You may have ze gift." LaVelle really looked excited. "True seers are very rare."

Harry tried to think of a way to convince the woman he wasn't a seer without revealing that he was a Parselmouth, but couldn't think of any. Instead, he changed the subject. "I believe that we're here because that snake needs to be dissected."

Sharon shrugged her shoulders. "I guess we'll get to it, but thiz isn't over." As she reached into her bag for tools, Harry walked back outside the room and took one of his textbooks out to read. He'd have brought the Animagus book he was nearly done with, but he was afraid LaVelle would see it. He lit up his wand and started reading, doing his best not to think of the bloody business going on in the next room.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->