Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

A/N: Sorry for the delay, but I've just moved house, so things have been hectic. A short one here, mostly just to tie events together, but also a nice moment for Harry I think. Thanks for reading.

Potter: A History

Remembrall

Harry had thought long and hard about the best possible way of returning the Remembrall to Longbottom without anyone knowing it came from him.

So far, and much to his annoyance, he had been unable to find the hidden entrance to Gryffindor tower. Everyone at Hogwarts was too keenly aware of his presence during the day, making it impossible for him to go anywhere without notice.

He'd hoped to have found it by now, but as Christmas approached, Harry was forced to admit it might take him longer than expected. Oh, he would find it, of that he was sure, but in the meantime, he had to think of another way to return the magical Remembrall.

Which is what led to him standing outside Hagrid's hut in the middle of the night, Remembrall in hand and wrapped in several layers of cloth. He was sure to be quiet, lest he wake Fang, as he aimed his wand with his other hand.

The door to Hagrid's hut clicked softly and Harry smiled with satisfaction. The simple Alohomora charm had worked. He took a breath, and then eased the door open. It creaked a little and Harry froze. He could hear Hagrid's deep rumbling snore. After several seconds passed and nothing happened, he opened the door the rest of the way and slipped inside. He crossed quickly to Hagrid's table and laid the wrapped Remembrall down on the table gently. Next he pulled out a piece of parchment and propped it up against the ball. In plain block capitals, it read:

Property of Neville Longbottom

Satisfied that his job was done, Harry turned to leave. He caught sight of Fang watching him from his bed next to Hagrid's. The large dog stared at him silently. It was the first time Harry had ever seen the dog acting placidly. He went over to kneel by Fang's side and gently stroke his head.

'You never saw me, okay boy?' Harry whispered.

As if understanding, Fang's eyes drooped shut and he lowered his head back down onto his massive paws.

'Good boy,' Harry said, patting him on the head and then getting to his feet. He looked down at the snoring Hagrid, content in the knowledge that the giant would see the Remembrall safely home.

Job done, he quietly and quickly left the hut, locking the door behind him.

He began the way back up to Hogwarts, safe in the shadows.