Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

Potter: A History

Progress Towards Friendship?

Harry was already sitting in the Great Hall when the rest of the Hogwarts students began to arrive in groups of three or four. Stares and whispers came in the young Slytherins direction, but he paid them no mind. Even if his presence were not unusual, they'd likely still be staring, just because of who he was. Everyone at the Slytherin table gave him a wide berth as they sat down. He was still an alien amongst them, his so-called own house.

Malfoy, Zabini, Crabbe and Goyle were among the last few to arrive. The silver haired leader of the gang directed them right to Harry. He sat next to him, with only a raised eyebrow to go in the way of a question. Zabini was more forward. He sat on the other side of Harry, arm slung over the back of his chair.

`Damn Potter! We thought you'd found yourself on the wrong end of someone's wand. Care to explain why you weren't on the train?'

There was a beat of silence. `Nope.'

Zabini laughed. `Ah, I missed you man.'

The Hall gradually quieted as the rest of the students took their seats and the first year Sorting began. Harry wasn't really paying attention, until Malfoy sneered out a few choice words about one of the first years.

`Look at that idiot.' Malfoy nodded towards a tiny boy hopping excitedly up and down as he waited his turn. `The little runt can barely keep still. A Galleon he's a Hufflepuff.'

Harry looked closely at the kid. He was rather hyper - annoyingly so - but Harry had a feeling. `Okay.'

Malfoy blinked at him, `You're betting me?'

Harry shrugged, as if to say, so what?

`Oooh,' Zabini cooed, `this just got interesting.'

`Creevey, Colin,' Professor McGonagall called, and the hyper kid practically bounced up to take his place on the stool.

`Ready to hand over your money Potter?' Malfoy taunted.

Harry didn't react. His eyes were locked on the boy, whose head was practically engulfed as the Sorting Hat was placed upon it. Harry, Malfoy, Zabini and company waited with bated breath.

`Gryffindor!'

Malfoy gaped. Harry smiled. Zabini hollered.

`Score one for Potter,' he said, chuckling.

`Shut up Zabini,' Malfoy replied with a glare in the giggling Slytherin's direction. With the other hand, he fished out a gold Galleon and tossed it to Harry, who caught it with quick reflexes. `You got lucky Potter.'

Harry pocketed the coin, still with a slight smile on his face.

`Oh no.' Harry and Malfoy looked at Zabini curiously.

`What?' Malfoy asked.

`Look,' the dismayed Slytherin said, pointing across the Hall at the gathered first years waiting to be sorted. `Look's like we have another Weasley. A girl this time. Yuck. Look at her!'

Harry looked. She was red headed indeed, and had the look of a Weasley. Her eyes flickered to his, widened, and then looked down with a blush. Harry frowned. What was that all about?

`What's another Weasley matter?' Malfoy muttered. `I plan on staying well clear of them all. I might catch something.'

Zabini, Crabbe and Goyle laughed.

The evening progressed, Ginny was sorted into Gryffindor, and Harry found himself studying the staff table at the head of the Great Hall. He found one unfamiliar face - a wizard surely there to replace Quirrrell as Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. The wizard had coiffed golden hair and dressed in fancy clothes of varying sickly bright hues. Harry wasn't impressed so far, but he would reserve judgement until he knew more.

`That's Gilderoy Lockhart,' Malfoy pointed out. `He's the biggest phoney I've ever had the unpleasant fortune to meet. He was in Flourish and Blotts the day I got my school supplies. Luckily we didn't stay long. My father almost killed Arthur Weasley and we had to leave. Never have I thanked Merlin more.'

Harry recognised the name. He was the wizard whose books he had bought for Defence Against the Dark Arts. Of course. So this wizard was some sort of adventurer. If he was as good as his books proclaimed… yet Harry had a hard time believing it.

`Phoney?' Harry asked Malfoy.

`Wait until you meet him, you'll see.'

A few days later, Harry saw indeed.

-->