Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

Potter: A History

Sorting

For the rest of the journey to Hogwarts, Harry kept his nose buried in his book. He would occasionally pause to listen in on the conversation that was taking place between Malfoy and his friends, but mostly he read.

Roughly twenty minutes into the trip, their compartment door opened again, and a new face appeared. The boy was small and dark with almost feminine features.

'Hey Malfoy,' the boy said, shutting the door behind him. 'Crabbe. Goyle.'

Malfoy stood up and clapped the new arrival on the shoulder. 'Where have you been Zabini?'

Zabini revealed his pearly white teeth. 'Have you seen all the fresh blood onboard? What do you think I've been doing?'

Malfoy laughed. 'Whatever you say Blaise.'

Zabini glanced at Harry. 'New friend?'

'Harry Potter,' Malfoy introduced.

Zabini's eyebrows rose in surprise. 'Really.' He turned his full attention on Harry. 'How you doing Potter?'

Harry ignored him and continued to pretend to read.

Zabini looked questioningly at Malfoy, who shrugged, and said, 'He's not very chatty.'

'Okie-dokie.'

Harry decided to speak up. 'I'm busy.' He hefted his book as further explanation.

Zabini laughed. 'Fair enough,' he said. 'I like you.'

Malfoy shook his head. 'You would.'

They fell into friendly banter and ignored Harry until the train finally reached Hogwarts. Ten minutes beforehand, they began to slip into their robes.

'You might want to put yours on Potter,' Zabini said.

Harry finished the page he was reading and then put the book back inside his trunk, taking out his robes at the same time. He pulled them on over his head.

'See you later.' Crabbe and Goyle followed Malfoy out of the compartment.

Zabini lingered with Harry, who was straightening his robes. Once that was done, he left the compartment with Zabini at his heels. Together they exited the train.

'Firs-years! Firs-years over here!' Harry heard the family voice of Hagrid call out.

He followed the voice like the other first years.

'Ah, Harry, good t' see ya,' Hagrid said, giving Harry his trademark crinkly eyed smile.

'You know him?' Zabini stage whispered.

Harry nodded.

'All right, firs-years, over here, c'mon now,' Hagrid continued. 'Follow me.'

Hagrid led them down a dark path.

'Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts I a sec, jus' round this bend here.'

Harry and the rest of the first years found themselves standing before an enormous dark lake. Above and on the other side of the lake was their destination - the castle called Hogwarts.

Hagrid ushered them into boats. Harry sat with Zabini and two other kids he didn't know.

'Wow,' one of the other first years exclaimed, as they set of across the lake.

'Impressive, isn't it?' Zabini said to Harry.

'Mmm.'

The boats took them into a dark tunnel right underneath Hogwarts. The boats reached some kind of harbour, and they dismounted, and followed Hagrid as he led them up a passageway into the open once again. The castle loomed above them. Hagrid knocked on the door and it opened.

'The firs-years Professor McGonagall.'

Harry sized up the old woman before him as she replied to Hagrid. He ultimately decided she was a force to be reckoned with and he wouldn't want to cross her.

Hagrid left them with Professor McGonagall. She led them into the castle and then into a small room, where she proceeded to give them a long speech about Hogwarts and it's houses. Harry knew a little bit about them, but when she reached the part about the sorting, he found himself wondered just how they would be sorted.

She didn't answer his internal question, but he wouldn't have to wait long to find out. Not long after, McGonagall led them into Great Hall. Harry felt eyes all over him as she led them to the far end of the massive Hall. The place was magnificent and he found himself wishing for more eyes, just so that he could take it all in.

McGonagall stopped them and lined them up in front of all the other students. Harry glanced back at the staff table behind him. Sitting in exactly the middle was an old man with long silvery white hair. Harry would swear the wizard was looking right at him, but he didn't have to time to ponder this.

McGonagall got his attention again when she placed a wrinkled old hat on a stool. He frowned at it, his mind considering the purpose of the hat, when suddenly it began to sing. On and on the song went as the hat detailed all the traits of the Hogwarts houses, and finally answered the question of the sorting. The Hall exploded in applause as the hat finished its song.

Professor McGonagall brought out a scroll and unrolled it. 'When I call your name, come forward, sit on the stool, and try on the hat.' And so the sorting began.

Harry watched as the first to be sorted put on the hat. There was a pause. Then, 'HUFFLEPUFF!'

More first years where sorted as Harry watched.

'Malfoy, Draco!'

Harry paid more attention now. Malfoy swaggered over to put on the hat, but before the thing had even reached the tips of his ears, the hat cried out, 'SLYHERIN!' Malfoy smirked as he sat down at the Slytherin table.

'What a surprise,' Zabini whispered in Harry's ear.

McGonagall finally reached the P's.

'Potter, Harry!' She called out. The Great Hall was instantly silent. Harry ignored all the staring as he went to take his seat. He lifted the hat, braced himself for the unknown, and then out it on.

'Ah,' a small voice said. 'How very interesting.'

What's so interesting? Harry thought.

'Many things Harry Potter,' the hat replied, obviously reading his mind. He found this a little disconcerting. His mind was the only private place he had. 'Most important right now, would be which house to put you in.'

What's so interesting about that? Harry thought at the hat.

'What's interesting is that you would find a good home in any house I chose,' the hat said, 'and that has never been the case. Should I choose Gryffindor, you would belong. Should I choose Ravenclaw, you would belong. Should I choose Hufflepuff or Slytherin, you would also belong. You are unique, Mr. Potter.'

So people keep telling me, Harry thought. What house are you going to put me in?

'I could decide,' the hat said, 'but the truth is I would just be choosing randomly. A more interesting idea would be for you to choose. Where do you think you truly belong? Where would you like to be?' Harry didn't even get to voice the thought. The hat knew even before it had finished asking. 'Slytherin. Hmm. Interesting indeed. Are you sure?'

'Yes,' Harry whispered.

'Then so be it,' the hat replied, and louder, for the entire Hall to hear, it cried out, 'SLYTHERIN!'

There was a silence so silent there were no words to describe it. Harry took the hat off and looked around. Everywhere he looked, shock and awe looked back. He slowly got to his feet and placed the hat on the stool. Professor McGonagall looked at him in confusion as he passed her on the way to the Slytherin table. He took a seat among his new housemates. Some looked just as confused as everyone else. Some looked fascinated by this unexpected turn of events. Others looked at him like they would like nothing more than to choke the life out of him.

He wondered what he had gotten himself into.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed. It was fun to write. And yes, it is possible for an eleven year old to be sex obsessed - just ask my cousin. LOL. Leave a review please.