Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

Potter: A History

Reflections

There was a lot of reflection done the night of the Sorting.

In his office, the head of Slytherin Severus Snape sat in darkness. He had just left Harry Potter - the Boy-Who-Lived, also known as the boy who had slain his former Master - to fend for himself in the hostile Slytherin dormitory.

Snape thoughtfully rubbed the bridge of his nose.

Where did he even begin?

Harry Potter… sorted into Slytherin?

What did it mean?

Had he witnessed the birth of a new Dark Lord? Could Potter be his Master's replacement, a force maybe, conceivable, even stronger? After all, he had, most assuredly, vanquished the Dark Lord as a baby. A baby!

And such a power he had sensed when Potter's new housemates challenged the boy - a darkness he hadn't felt in so long.

What did it mean?

He would have to watch the boy - perhaps even mentor him. He'd already laid the groundwork. If Potter were the next Dark Lord, then Severus Snape would be as a father to him. He would be his most trusted disciple.

Yes, he thought with satisfaction, dreaming of glory.

In the Gryffindor boys dormitory, Ron Weasley pulled on his pyjamas. His roommates, Dean Thomas, Sheamus Finnegan, and Neville Longbottom did the same. Ron was muttering under his breath.

'Unbelievable. Harry Potter in Slytherin. What's the world coming too?'

'What's that Ron?' Dean asked, over hearing.

'Nothing,' Ron said briskly.

Neville climbed into his bed and pulled the covers up to his chin.

Dean and Sheamus barely noticed. They closed in on Ron.

'Did you say Harry Potter?' Sheamus pressed.

'So what if I did?' Ron replied.

'What about him?' This was Dean.

'What do you mean "what about him?"! Didn't you pay attention to the sorting?'

'Of course I did.'

'I'm as shocked as you are Ron,' Sheamus said, 'but I don't see the point in getting angry about it.'

'What's so shocking?'

Sheamus explained to Dean while Ron continued to silently fume. Why was he so angry? He didn't know himself, to be honest. It just felt wrong somehow. It wasn't supposed to be this way.

Harry Potter was not meant to be a Slytherin!

And in the Headmaster's quarters, Albus Dumbledore lay in bed, his own thoughts on Harry Potter, and the most surprising sorting he had ever seen.

In all the thoughts passing through his quick mind, only one was of real import.

Had he made a mistake?

Had sending young Harry to live with his aunt and uncle created a monster? Created another Tom Riddle?

Only time would tell, but Albus Dumbledore would be watching. And this time… Merlin forbid… he would not stand idly by.

If Harry Potter showed signs of being the next Dark Lord… he would have to end it.

He would have to kill the boy.