Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

Potter: A History

Slytherin Honour

Hogwarts had an air of excitement around it that Harry was coming to associate with Quidditch. Today Slytherin faced off against Hufflepuff in a match that could vastly affect the current rankings. If Slytherin won, they would take top of the league.

Harry sat with Malfoy, Zabini and the rest of the first year boy's dormitory. The crowd was roaring, most of them cheering on the Hufflepuff Seeker as he raced towards the Snitch. The Slytherin Seeker was only just behind him.

'Come on you slow idiot!' Malfoy cried, standing up.

'This guy's useless,' Zabini said, leaning over to whisper in Harry's ear.

Harry nodded. Zabini had a point. If he'd been up there, Slytherin would have already won five times.

The Hufflepuff Seeker grabbed the Snitch and the crowd cheered. Malfoy sat down in a huff. 'Tosser,' he said, a foul look on his face.

Zabini laughed. 'You take it all so seriously Malfoy.'

'It's our Slytherin honour on the line,' Malfoy argued, 'and fools like that make us all look like idiots, so yeah, I do take it seriously.'

'And we lost to the biggest bunch of pansies this school has to offer,' Nott added, speaking of the Hufflepuff's, his tone the same as Malfoy's.

'What do you think Potter?' Zabini asked.

Harry stood up to leave as he said, 'I think if I'd have been up there, we would have won an hour ago.'

He heard Zabini laugh behind him and Nott say, 'like he'd do any better,' in a sour voice. Feet clattered down behind him and Malfoy fell in step.

'You really believe that?'

'It's just the truth.'

'You saw the Snitch?'

'At least five times.'

Malfoy was silent for a few minutes as they trudged up to Hogwarts. The stadium was still a clamour of noise behind them. Zabini ran to join them, and then slowed.

'I'm going to talk to my father,' Malfoy said. 'Next year, I'm on that team. You too Potter. Seeker, right?'

'Fine by me,' Harry said. He didn't relish the spotlight, but as he was already under the microscope, he didn't see how much would change. And he would cherish the time spent flying.

'Zabini?'

'Count me out. I have better things to do.'

Malfoy shoved him with an elbow. 'Like?'

'I'll tell you when you're older.'

Malfoy grabbed him in a headlock and the two boys began to wrestle. Harry ignored them and kept walking. A few minutes later, they caught up as he entered the Great Hall for the celebratory feast. The Hufflepuff colours already hung. Malfoy scowled at them.

'I don't think I can stomach it,' he said, sitting down at the Slytherin table. 'To just sit here listening to the entire school gloat?'

'It's that or starve,' Zabini said.

'I think I'd rather starve than listen to those useless bunch of Squibs celebrate.'

Zabini shook his head with a grin. 'Suit yourself.'

'You coming Potter?' Malfoy asked, standing up.

Truth was, Harry wasn't really hungry. 'Yeah,' he said, following Malfoy out into the Entrance Hall.

They walked down the steps into the dungeons of Hogwarts. A ways down the corridor, Malfoy spoke, 'did you ever think to ask Snape about getting you some books? I'm sure he would. You are his favoured pupil.'

Harry hadn't thought about it. 'Not really. He's a teacher, just like all the others.'

'Not just like,' Malfoy disagreed. 'You should ask. He'll probably even let you into the restricted section.'

'Why?'

Malfoy glanced at him. 'Because just like me, he values Slytherin honour. He would see us above the rest of the school. I'm sure of it.'

Harry thought for a moment. 'You trust him?'

Absolutely.'

Interesting. 'I'll think about it.'

'You do that.'

Over the course of the year, Professor Snape had favoured Harry with private Potion lessons. It was only one way he showed his bias, but there where many others. He would reward the Slytherins (predominantly Harry) for the simplest of things and he would penalise the Gryffindors for even simpler things. He would add helpful suggestions as he walked amongst the class, while pointedly ignoring all the Gryffindors. It was no secret that Snape would do anything to see his house soar above all others.

While Harry couldn't say he admired this trait, he certainly took full advantage of it, and he prospered for it.

On one such evening, Harry pondered Malfoy's words. Would Snape truly go so far for him? There was only one way to find out.

'Professor?'

Snape was showing him how to brew a complicated potion most students wouldn't learn until their second year. He continued to stir rhythmically as he turned his glance upon Harry. 'Yes Potter?'

Out of the entire populace of Hogwarts, Harry only trusted two people. The first was of course Hagrid, the kindest person Harry had ever met. Secondly, Harry trusted Professor Snape, the wizard who had saved his life at the beginning of the year. The only difference between the two was the level of trust Harry placed in them.

Harry couldn't help but trust Hagrid wholeheartedly.

Professor Snape he was a little more wary about. Anyone who would show such favouritism wasn't going to be a completely honest man. However, Harry trusted the wizard wouldn't speak openly about what they were about to discuss, and so he had no trouble speaking plainly with the man.

'If I ever needed to get my hands on some… lets say… advanced books… could you help me there?'

Snape cocked his head curiously. 'Of course. What do you have in mind?'

'Nothing at the moment,' Harry replied. 'Malfoy's father has provided me with all I need.'

'Has he now?'

'Is that a problem?'

'Not at all.'

There was a moment of pause as they regarded each other. 'So if I ever needed…'

'You just let me know,' Snape interrupted, 'and I will see it in your hands.'

Harry nodded his head in thanks. Snape gestured back to the potion he was instructing Harry on. 'You will need to keep stirring the potion, very carefully, and slowly, clockwise only, until…'