Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

Potter: A History

A Father's Command

Draco was summoned home for Christmas. Not that he hadn't been planning on returning anyway (he was sure his mother would be disappointed if he didn't), but the very fact that his father had ordered him home…

It was alarming.

You might be thinking - what's so unusual about a father wanting to see his son over the holidays?

If you are, you clearly don't know Lucius Malfoy.

Draco knew him, and feared him. His father had never shown him an ounce of love. Sometimes it even felt like his father used him to make himself feel more powerful. Draco couldn't even begin to count the times he had been belittled and demeaned by his father, privately and publicly.

He did everything he could to earn his father's respect, and each and every time, it just wasn't enough. But he wouldn't stop trying. It was his father and every boy needs to feel a father's respect.

Only now…

Had he done something wrong? Something to displease his demanding father?

The reason for his summons was not revealed for several days. Not until Christmas Day, in fact.

The day began as usual. Draco opened his many presents enthusiastically, marvelling at the varied gifts, and making sure to thank his mother and father profusely. He didn't like to think about what his father might do to him if he didn't show the proper respect. Lucius Malfoy demanded respect from everyone, and if he didn't get it… that only led to trouble. The slightest of slights could lead to disaster, even for the wizard's own son.

Draco had been forced to learn that the hard way over the years.

It was a lesson he would not soon forget.

'Tell me about Harry Potter,' his father said.

Now they sat around the dinner table. Draco looked down the table at his mother, who had frozen with a slice of turkey halfway to her mouth. She looked up at the head of the table, staring at his father in shock. Clearly she knew nothing about this.

'Draco,' Lucius said sharply, reminding him of his demand.

Draco swallowed. What did his father want to know?

'Uh…'

'Uh? What does "uh" mean boy?'

Draco blushed at his father's mockery.

'I… what… I'm not sure…' Draco spoke quietly, murmured his words uncertainly.

'Are you mouse Draco? Speak up!'

'Yes sir,' Draco said, staring at his plate. Suddenly he wasn't hungry. 'I don't… really know him.'

'You must know something,' Lucius said, daring his son to contradict him.

'Uh… he's quiet.'

'Go on.'

'Erm… he doesn't say much in class, but I can tell he's smart. He's always reading whenever I see him.' Draco snuck a glance up at his father. Lucius urged him on with a look. 'He's brave. Gary Minnow challenged him after the sorting and he didn't back down. Professor Snape intervened and said that Potter was under his protection.'

'Is that so,' his father said thoughtfully.

'Yes sir,' Draco replied, 'he seems to have taken Potter under his wing.'

'And what is your impression of Potter? I know - he's quiet, smart and brave. All very interesting,' - again Draco heard that note of mockery in his fathers voice and he lowered his head, cowed - 'but not what I want to know.'

'I'm not sure what to think of him,' Draco said, hesitant, but ploughing through with his thoughts. He wasn't one hundred percent sure what his father wanted to hear, so he chose to be honest. 'He's not what I expected. He doesn't seem upset to be in Slytherin. He hangs around with Blaise Zabini sometimes. I've seen him talking with Professor Snape a lot. If he's supposed to be some sort of a hero figure… so far he's a pretty bad one. He's stood by and watched as we've given the Gryffindors a hard time. He's even participated a little. I… I don't know what else to say.'

Lucius nodded, still looking thoughtful. Finally, he looked his son dead in the eye; his gaze so commanding Draco couldn't look away even though he really wanted to.

'Listen to me boy,' his father said. 'You're going to befriend Potter. Get close to him. Learn what he's thinking. Every single thought in his head. You learn it all. And then you tell me. Do I make myself clear?'

Draco swallowed. 'Yes sir.'