Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

A/N: Thanks to Lord Supremo for the Beta on this. Hope you all enjoy.

Potter: A History

Truest Desire

Harry was on one of his midnight strolls when he found the Mirror of Erised.

He was mulling over the strange feeling he got every time he looked at Professor Quirrell (a kind of tingling in his scar, vaguely painful), and the uncomfortable way the wizard looked at him at times. It was never a direct stare, but Harry saw him looking out of the corner of his eye. Today, the rest of the class had been busy copying from a book, heads down. Harry had been making his own notations, when he had felt that tingling. Raising his eyes, his head still aimed down, he saw Quirrell staring at him. Harry couldn't place the expression, but it felt ominous somehow.

He was forced to forget his internal debating at the sound of movement up ahead. He saw a light and quickly ducked into the nearest room. The mirror awaited him.

Standing tall in the room, the gold-framed mirror beckoned him closer. He felt transfixed by it. A jumble of words he couldn't understand adorned the top of the mirror.

But the most interesting thing about it was his reflection, or rather, the image the mirror showed him, because it was most assuredly not his reflection. The image was of himself, standing proud and tall over a dark and shrouded fallen figure - Voldemort. He knew it in his bones.

'It's called the Mirror of Erised.'

Harry turned at the sound of the voice, tensed in anticipation of attack. The Headmaster of Hogwarts smiled at him kindly. Harry relaxed a little.

'It reflects a persons deepest desire,' Dumbledore continued, gesturing to the mirror.

Harry looked at the mirror again.

'What do you think?'

'It's impressive,' Harry said. He wondered if the Headmaster could see what it showed him. The idea troubled him. Then he realised he probably couldn't. If the mirror only showed what a person desired, then it would be different for everyone. 'You can't see what it shows me?' He needed to be sure.

'I cannot.'

Harry nodded with relief. Dumbledore appeared at his side and laid a hand on his shoulder. Harry would have pulled away, but he was frozen in place by Dumbledore's powerful presence. He swallowed. He'd never felt anything like it. The Headmaster of Hogwarts had always appeared a fool to him, but now he was beginning to understand different.

'But I would know,' Dumbledore said.

Harry clenched his fists. What did this powerful wizard want from him?

Dumbledore tightened his hold on Harry's shoulder. It wasn't painful, but resolute.

Harry glanced at the ground. 'It…' He looked back into the mirror. 'It shows me…'

'Yes?'

'It shows me remain silent,' Harry murmured in defiance. 'Sir.'

Dumbledore rubbed the bridge of his nose with his free hand. 'Do I seem an enemy to you Harry?'

All I see are enemies, he thought, but didn't say. 'Am I in trouble for sneaking out after curfew?' Harry tried to change the subject.

'Do you think anything happens within this castle that I do not see?' Dumbledore returned.

Harry felt his heart seize. Was this wizard as powerful as he proclaimed, and indeed, seemed?

'I don't believe anyone is that all knowing sir,' Harry replied.

Dumbledore nodded in approval. 'And you would be correct,' he said, 'but in this case, I assure you, I know most, if not all, that happens within this castle. Even when my eyes are elsewhere, others see for me. I have watched you very closely Harry, since the moment I set you on your aunt and uncles doorstep, and most especially since you arrived at my school.'

'And?'

'And I would know what you see within the mirror. The honest truth.'

'Okay,' Harry said, deciding to be honest, 'I'll tell you.'

'Good.'

'The truth?'

'Please.'

'I don't trust you,' Harry said, 'and that's the truth, sir.'

Harry felt Dumbledore's hand tremble, weaken, and then release him. The old wizard turned away and took a few steps.

'I am saddened to hear that,' Dumbledore finally replied.

Harry watched him closely.

'Let me tell you a story,' Dumbledore said. 'There was once a young boy. A boy with untrained power and much potential. He was an orphan, like you. I recruited him to Hogwarts. I stood by and watched as he grew into the most powerful wizard I have ever encountered. Do you know that boys name?'

Harry had a sinking feeling in his chest.

'He called himself Lord Voldemort.' Dumbledore turned back to face Harry. 'Now here I am, all these years later, and another boy of great potential stands before me. Do you understand, Harry? Should I stand by again?'

Harry felt every muscle, every joint, in his body tense. The old wizard's meaning was clear.

'If you want to kill me, kill me.' Harry wouldn't mince words like Dumbledore. But despite his composed words, his heart pounded with fear. This wizard was powerful enough to end his life with a mere flick of his wand, Harry knew.

Dumbledore's face transformed into sadness. He sighed tiredly. 'I fear something has gone terribly wrong, Harry.'

Harry didn't know what to say to that.

Dumbledore shook his head. 'Return to the Slytherin dormitory and do not seek the mirror again. You will not find it.'

Harry went to the door. 'Why would I want to?' He left before Dumbledore could reply.

Back in his chambers, Dumbledore practically collapsed into his chair. He felt drained of all strength after his tense encounter with young Harry Potter. How could things have turned out this way? He knew sending Harry to live with his relatives would be hard for the boy, but he hadn't expected it to turn him into the suspicious, guarded young man he had just spoken with.

Something, somewhere, must have gone wrong. This couldn't be what fate intended. Or had it? Were the fears of the people true? Was Harry destined to replace Voldemort? The prophecy didn't say Harry would be a saviour.

Dumbledore didn't know what to believe, or what to do.

Should he let Harry continue to develop, or should he end it before things became complicated?

No. He had time yet. He would just have to watch Harry closer than ever.