Unofficial Portkey Archive

Potter: A History by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Potter: A History

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

Potter: A History

Back to Hogwarts

It was two days before Harry was meant to board the train and return to Hogwarts, and it didn't look like his uncle was going to relent. They fed him once a day and allowed him to use the bathroom every now and then, but other than that, Harry had been confined to his room for four weeks now.

It looked like his Hogwarts education was coming to an end. Harry didn't know what to do. He couldn't just go on living like a Muggle after everything he had learned, but how was he supposed to escape without his wand? It was all he thought about for the entire four weeks, and he was no closer to finding an answer.

Then Hagrid came.

The giant arrived as night blanketed the street in darkness, the lights of the street lamps sucked magically into nothingness. Harry was staring mournfully out the window when this happened, contemplating his escape, and he jumped to his feet in surprise. Hope blossomed inside him. He pressed his nose to the window and narrowed his eyes in a vain attempt to see into the night. He saw nothing, but he did hear the loud, booming knocking coming from downstairs. He ran to his locked door and put an ear against the wood. He could make out his uncles angry voice and the gruff, familiar voice of Hagrid. A tiny smile spread his lips ever so slightly.

He was saved - again. That Hagrid... Harry was really starting to become fond of the giant.

In no time Hagrid had freed him from his cell and reunited him with his possessions, and most importantly, his wand. Harry clutched it with fervour. It was his weapon, his instrument of vengeance. When they left the house on Privet Drive, his uncle shot him a reproving look. I'm sorry uncle, Harry thought, but I have to do this.

They spent the night at the Leaky Cauldron, and then the following day Harry bought his new school supplies. People still stared at him everywhere he went, some with curiosity, others with resentment, but in either case, he still found it incredibly annoying. Hagrid pretended not to notice and Harry followed suit. They bought ice creams and sweets and had lunch at the Leaky Cauldron before calling it a day and going to bed.

September the first welcomed him the following morning with a chill breeze blowing through the window. Harry shrugged off his covers and quickly got dressed. Hagrid snored in the bed beside his. Harry had to shake him for five minutes before the giant finally rolled out of bed.

`'Am up,' he said groggily, thundering on big feet over to the bathroom.

Harry was already ready; his trunk packed the night before. He sat on the end of his bed and waited patiently.

When Hagrid emerged from the bathroom, they left the room behind. Hagrid paid Tom and said his goodbyes before the innkeeper could accost Harry. They travelled comfortably in silence to King's Cross, a stark contrast to the year earlier, when Hagrid had first collected Harry from the Dursleys. Back then, Hagrid had been alarmed at Harry's remoteness. Now he was accustomed to it, and more importantly, understood it was just Harry's way.

Hagrid saw him to the entrance to platform nine and three quarters. `Well, that's it. See you at Hogwarts Harry.'

`Thanks Hagrid.' Harry looked at him meaningfully, trying to convey with his eyes what his mouth could not.

`Yeh', that's alright. It was my pleasure.'

Harry wasn't sure if the giant understood his true meaning (probably not), but that was all he could manage at the moment. He still wasn't used to this whole friendship, sharing-your-feelings business. So he gave his only friend a stiff wave and began to push his trolley towards the invisible entrance to platform nine and three quarters.

Oddly, he was met with forceful resistance. His trolley smashed loudly into the barrier separating platforms nine and ten. Hagrid was at his side in a moment, holding him up, while Harry rubbed his stomach in the spot where the handle of the trolley had been rammed into him.

`What happened? Did you do it wrong?' Hagrid whispered, or at least attempted to. His gruff voice had a tendency to carry.

`I didn't do it wrong,' Harry said, frowning angrily. He pushed his trolley again, testing, tapping it against the barrier. He was again met with resistance. `It's blocking me.'

`Are you sure?'

`I'm not an idiot Hagrid. It won't let me through.'

`O'course yer' not,' Hagrid replied distractedly, his mind busy trying to figure out their next move. `What do we do?'

Harry shook his head and tried the trolley again, banging it against whatever was blocking them. He sighed. `Can you contact Headmaster Dumbledore?'

Hagrid nodded. `Yeh'.'

`Then do it,' Harry said, `and tell him what's going on. He'll have to find some other way for me to get to Hogwarts.'

Hagrid rushed off to do that, leaving Harry alone to contemplate this strange turn of events. His mind quickly reached the only logical solution. `I'm going to kill that damn house elf.'

-->