Unofficial Portkey Archive

Blind confrontations by Kai_Lun_Mau
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Blind confrontations

Kai_Lun_Mau

Blind Confrontations

Chapter

He was crouched against the wall his extra senses focused on his surroundings as he tapped his Knight-Stick against the wall causing a dull thunk to echo out, the sound spreading in ripples like a pebble dropped in a pond. He smirked as the area was soon mapped out in his mind, the roof access and the skylight where the only ways into the building. Well he wasn't partial to stairs; he duck walked across the roof to the skylight and pressed his ear against the glass. From below the sound of voices reached his sensitive ears.

He smirked and it was a truly terrible sight to behold, no snarling beast, no crazed expression was quite as frightening that evening as that of Harry's simple smirk. He knew the sound of one of those voices. Moving like a ghost he eased the skylight open.

********

"Commander Asmodeus, your recent operations is placing this, endeavour, at risk." A pale man in a white lab coat was calmly pacing back and forth at the head of a table, glancing occasionally at the Soldier who stood to attention at its base. "Your reckless attempts at capturing the subject have brought us under scrutiny, and not only that but you failed to capture the target." He stopped pacing and glared at Asmodeus. "Have you anything to say?"

Asmodeus glared at the bespectacled man. "Dr Roberts with all due respect, I was sent on this mission with bad Intel." His hands tightened into fists the black leather gloves stretching with a soft crackle. "The target was fully trained in hand to hand combat and tactics, she was no student Dr, she was a soldier." He shook his head. "She also had help."

Dr Roberts frowned. "Help, another witch?" He smiled as he retook his seat at the table head. "Then perhaps this is not so bad a set back as first feared." The other men in lab coats nodded in agreement

Asmodeus shook his head. "No sir, a wizard, a powerful one, exceptional in unarmed combat and weapons tactics, if Granger is a soldier, this man is a warrior." He blinked as he felt something flutter into his eye and frowned looking up at the skylight. His gaze followed the small object as it fell from the darkness. "GRENADE!" He spun on his heel and leapt for the door at his back whilst the scientists started to panic and scream.

Over all the noise he heard a single voice. "Accio Roberts" Then hell was unleashed in the small room as the grenade bounced off the table with a metal clank and exploded. The concussion blast caught him mid leap propelling him through the wooden doorway into the hall. He rolled trying to put out the flames of his burning trouser leg while all around him sirens blared and his troops moved converging on the office. He grabbed the wall hauling himself upright, his ears ringing from the close proximity of the explosion and he grabbed one of his sergeants. "TAKE A SQUAD AND GET ONTO THE ROOF!" He shook his head trying to right himself before he vomited noisily onto the carpet

********

Harry didn't wait for his handiwork to roll into action as he let the grenade fall from his hand he gestured towards the figure who had been talking, no ordering Asmodeus around. He would have the answers Harry was looking for. "Accio Roberts!"

Roberts gurgled at the invisible grip around his throat as he practically rocketed through the air smashing through the remains of the skylight causing glass to shatter everywhere. He would have screamed if he could when he slammed bodily into the roof his glasses skittering away leaving him half-blind.

He squealed when he felt to hands close around his neck and haul him into the air to dangle like a fish on a hook. "I want answers!" He stared into the eyes of his attacker and blanched; the blood draining out of his face and as he stared into the eyes of a man ready to kill. "What is this place!"

"It's a private clinic!" Roberts's voice broke in his panic.

"Don't lie to me, I know when you lie, your heart rate rises and your body temperature changes, so lets try again will we." Harry swung the doctor over the edge of the roof and smirked. "What is this place."

"I-it's a research lab…" Roberts fingers scrabbled against the iron Grip Harry had on his lab coat, his legs flailing in the air trying to reach the edge of the building. "F-flags were raised, rumours about magic users and separate governments, we had to defend ourselves!"

"Defend yourselves, defend yourselves from who, we don't interfere with your world you don't interfere with ours, now talk!" Harry shook Roberts roughly as he dangle sixty feet in the air. "What kind of research!"

"GENETIC!" Roberts screamed in terror, the front of his pants showing a spreading stain at the crotch. "We tried to find the gene, that allows you freaks to use magic!"

Harry frowned, in the distance he could hear footsteps approaching from the stairwell. "Why kidnap magic users!"

"So we could study them, they were processed, every cell studied!" Roberts's fingers were white as he clung to Harry's wrists.

Harry frowned. "What happened to them when you were through?"

"The bodies were processed, they were a threat and we needed every piece of information we could gather, we are not going to allow you to control us!"

"You killed them!" Harry snarled and pulled the Scientist close to him. "That woman you planned to process next, I was going to marry her!" Harry released his grip on Roberts and watched as the man plummeted to the gravel path below. He turned as the stairwell door finally bust open, the Knight-Stick he used to bar the door tumbling over the edge and clattering to the ground below.

He moved as the soldiers brought their guns to bear, opening fire. Round after round of machinegun fire beating a tattoo on the rooftop as Harry seemed to dance between the bullets as he raced to the remains of the skylight and swan dived into the raging inferno below.

The soldiers moved in a classic sweep and clear, taking position around the remains of the skylight before leaning over the edge, weapons drawn, target lasers dancing back and forth across the ruins of the room.

But of Harry there was no sign.

TBC…

AN: Yes for those who care all my attention is currently focused on finishing Part 2 of this story, Awakening the Dragon, and Special Investigations will have my full attention once this arc is done I promise.

Yours Truly

The Evil known as Kai Lun Mau