Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: After last chapter's heavy H/Hr, they don't appear in this one except getting mentioned once or twice. This one is R/L and Ginny/Neville/Cho. We hope you enjoy it!

Ginny wanted everything to be perfect for her first official date with Neville. And what a date it was going to be---the hospital benefit. Her mother had helped her with her hair and makeup and Ginny felt a little like a princess as she did a little twirl in her bedroom. Co

"You look gorgeous, Ginny," Molly said proudly. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks Mum," Ginny said. "And I'm so glad I'm feeling well enough to go."

"Me too," Molly said reaching into her pocket. "And I think these might look lovely with your gown..."

She held out a pair of earrings that she'd worn on her wedding day to Arthur. They were the fanciest earrings she owned.

"Mum these are beautiful," Ginny gasped.

"It's a special evening," Molly said handing them to her.

"I hope it turns out the way I think it will," Ginny fastened the earrings to her ears. "I bet Neville looks so handsome..."

Molly smiled. "I'm sure he will, Ginny. You and Neville belong together."

"He's going to be here any minute," Ginny looked at her clock.

"Well, you stay up here so you can make your grand entrance," Molly told her. "I'll call for you when he arrives."

"Thanks," Ginny turned back to the mirror.

If she had any say in the way things went tonight, she wouldn't be back here at the Burrow until tomorrow morning.

It was only another few minutes before her mother's voice drifted upstairs, letting her know Neville was there. She nervously straightened her robes and checked her reflection one more time.

She stepped out of her room and headed down the stairs.

Neville, who was talking to Arthur, looked up and smiled when he saw her. "Ginny...wow..."

"Hi," she said a bit shyly.

"You look beautiful," Neville said softly.

Molly and Arthur stood back and watched the young couple with pride.

Ginny smiled at him. "I um... I've really been looking forward to tonight."

"Me too," Neville admitted. "And I promise that my dancing has improved quite a bit."

"I can't wait," Ginny said softly as he helped her into her cloak.

"I hope you two have fun," Molly said.

"I promise not to have her out too late," Neville said smiling at them.

"Thank you Neville," Arthur nodded.

Ginny took Neville's hand. "We're Apparating, right?"

"Are you up for it?" he asked her. "Not feeling sick or anything?"

"I'm feeling fine," Ginny reassured him. "I happened to have had the greatest healer in the entire world on my case."

Neville turned red. "Let's get going."

"Right," Ginny agreed.

It didn't take them long to reach the ballroom at the Ministry where the benefit was being held. Ginny looked around in awe at the decorations and all the other people who were milling about.

"This is something else, isn't it?" Neville asked, as if reading her mind.

Ginny nodded wordlessly. "It looks amazing..."

"How about we get something to drink?" Neville asked. "Then we can find our seats."

"Okay," Ginny smiled at him and gripped his arm. "I'm so happy you asked me to come with you Neville."

"Me too," Neville said smiling back at her. Impulsively, he kissed her on the cheek.

Ginny grinned. She knew it was a given- they were SO getting back together now. "Do you think it'd be okay if I had champagne? Or should I stick to something like pumpkin juice?"

"Champagne should be fine," Neville said. "As long as you don't overindulge."

"I'll be careful," Ginny took the glass he handed her.

"I can't believe I'm about to tell you this," Neville said, his cheeks turning red. "But after I asked you to go with me to the Yule Ball, I spent every day leading up to it practising my steps."

"Really?" Ginny asked, pleased to hear this.

"I didn't want to step all over your toes," Neville said. "And I wanted to make it a night to remember."

"You did," she assured him.

"The first one was," Neville said with a wistful expression on his face. "The second one..."

"We don't need to go there," Ginny said quickly, wanting to keep away from that topic.

Neville nodded. "We're starting over."

"Exactly," Ginny leaned against him.

Neville took her free hand in his. "Come on...let's go find our seats."

While Neville and Ginny were sitting down, Cho had just arrived with Ernie Macmillan.

"I know I said this before, but you look amazing," Ernie said giving her a once-over.

"Thanks Ern," Cho smiled at him. "It's nice to get out of those white robes once in awhile."

"It's nice to get you out of them," Ernie said. At the look on her face, he paled. "Um---I didn't mean it like that. I mean it's nice that you have an occasion to get out of them..."

Cho was amused. "I know what you mean." she shook back her hair.

"How about we find our table?" Ernie asked.

"And a drink?" Cho asked.

"Now you're talking," Ernie said. "How about you find our table and I'll get us a drink from the bar? What would you like? "

"Surprise me," Cho looked at their invitation to see their table number. "Seventy nine," she read, looking around.

She frowned when she saw who else was sitting at their table. Neville and Ginny were sitting at the table talking and holding hands. "Just great," she muttered.

Forcing a smile onto her face, she approached the pair. "Hello Neville, hello Ginny," she said.

Ginny looked over at the older girl with a triumphant smile. "Hello, Cho."

"You look....beautiful, Cho," Neville said smiling at her.

"Thanks," Cho felt her cheeks turn a bit pink. "Um... Ernie and I are sitting here too."

"Fantastic," Ginny said forcing a smile on her face. "That's ...those are really nice dress robes. That's an interesting colour..."

"It's plum," Cho replied. "I've had them for ages but never had an opportunity to wear them."

"We spend most of our days in white," Neville said grinning conspiratorially at Cho.

"Tell me about it," Cho laughed. "Sometimes it feels a bit blinding."

Ernie picked that moment to join them and he handed Cho a glass of champagne.

"Ernie," Neville said warmly.

"Hello Neville," Ernie nodded. "Hey, Ginny! Long time no see!"

"Hello, Ernie," Ginny said smiling at him. "You and Cho make a nice couple."

"Unfortunately, we're only friends," Ernie said dramatically.

"That's how all great relationships start," Ginny reassured him, linking her arm with Neville's. "Neville and I started that way."

Cho resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She wanted to ask the tart if that was before or after she cheated on him.

"So did you hear?" Ernie asked them. "Who's going to be here tonight as a special guest?"

Ginny shrugged. "Who?"

"Draco Malfoy," Ernie was completely unaware of what had happened between Ginny and Malfoy at Hogwarts and didn't notice her reaction. "He apparently donated some huge amount of money to the hospital."

"Draco Malfoy," Cho said pointedly to Ginny. "Isn't that something else?"

Ginny sent her a withering glare. "Why should that make any difference to me at all?"

"I wouldn't think it would considering what a great bloke you have with you," Cho retorted.

Ginny leaned against a rather uncomfortable Neville. "It doesn't at all."

"How about we dance?" Neville asked. "Ginny?"

"I'd love to," Ginny stood up immediately.

Neville took her hand and led her out onto the dance floor. He was silent as they began to dance.

"Neville," Ginny looked up at him. "Cho's just trying to cause trouble for us. Malfoy doesn't mean a thing to me."

He wanted more than anything to believe her, but he'd been burned badly before. He couldn't help being more than a little apprehensive.

"Please..." Ginny said, "You have to believe me..."

"I want to," Neville said looking down at her.

"You can," Ginny placed both her hands on each side of his face.

"Ginny," Neville whispered before giving her a kiss.

Ginny wrapped her arms around him, kissing him back.

Neville broke the kiss a few moments later. "Wow."

"You were always the best at that," Ginny rested her head on his shoulder.

Neville smiled and held her close. "You taught me everything I know."

Cho watched the couple through narrowed eyes. "She's playing him like a bloody violin."

"He doesn't seem to mind," Ernie commented.

Cho only shook her head and downed her champagne. "I'm going to get more." she held up the empty glass.

"Okay," Ernie said. "I'm going to say hello to a colleague."

Cho nodded and headed over to the bar. She kept one eye on Neville and Ginny, who seemed to be glued together in the middle of the dance floor.

"This is bloody unacceptable," someone said in a snarky voice. Cho looked over and saw Draco Malfoy and a beautiful blonde witch standing at the bar.

"Excuse me!" Draco barked. "Do you know who I am?"

Cho rolled her eyes. It seemed nothing had changed with Malfoy, despite him donating some huge amount of money.

"I'm going to go and freshen up in the loo," the woman he was with said in a bored tone.

"Don't take too long, Bianca," Draco ordered.

Cho had to resist the urge to go talk to him and tell him Ginny was there. It would be remarkably catty and it probably wouldn't help in making Neville's head turn her way.

Back on the dance floor, Neville and Ginny were having a good time dancing to an up-tempo song. Neville spun her out and then pulled her back.

"You've gotten so good at this!" she laughed happily.

"I might have practised a little to get ready for tonight," Neville said laughing.

"You're amazing," Ginny replied.

"You aren't so bad yourself," Neville said twirling her around.

"I love dancing," Ginny said. "I used to do it in my room at home."

"How long ago was that?" Neville teased.

"Long enough," Ginny giggled as he turned her again. "I'm so thirsty!"

"Well, I think it's time we switch you over to pumpkin juice or at the very least sparkling cider," Neville said.

"Whatever you say," Ginny replied. "You're the mediwizard."

Neville put his arm around her and together they headed toward the bar. Neville nearly collided with someone and he was about to apologize when he saw who it was. "Malfoy."

Draco looked back at him with a sneer. "If it isn't pudding puss Longbottom..."

"Leave us be, Malfoy," Ginny said haughtily. She tightened her grip on Neville's arm.

Draco's expression changed as he saw her. "Red..."

"Her name is Ginny," Neville said firmly.

Ginny hated that he could still make her heart beat fast when he looked at her.

"Come on, Neville," Ginny said. "Let's get that drink."

Draco moved back into their path. "I suppose you heard I got married?"

"I suppose you heard that we don't care," Ginny retorted.

"Just thought you might like to know that it's for appearances only," Draco leaned in.

Ginny glared at him. "Get away from me."

"I'm sure you'd like to get back to your wife," Neville said angrily. "Ginny and I need to get back to our table."

"I'll be seeing you, Red." Draco replied. "I'll be seeing you lots..."

Neville rolled his eyes and led Ginny over to the bar.

"One sparkling cider and can I have a vodka tonic?"

"Coming right up," the bartender replied. Neville drummed his fingers on the counter, too pissed off to even say anything else.

"He's not going to ruin our night," Ginny reassured Neville. "We can pretend he's not even here."

"Yeah," Neville muttered.

"We can," Ginny reassured him. "I'm with the person I want to be with, Neville. You know that."

He relaxed a bit. She had hardly looked twice at Malfoy back there, but seeing the blond again brought back the memory of seeing him and Ginny kissing in the Astronomy Tower.

Ginny leaned closer. "And I was thinking..."

"Hm?" Neville asked.

"This might be a bit presumptuous of me," Ginny said huskily. "But what if I made you breakfast tomorrow morning?"

"I uh... I don't know..." Neville grasped the glass the bartender slid over to him.

Ginny leaned in and nibbled on his ear. "I can make you anything....anything...that you want."

"Ginny..." Neville felt bad but he pulled away. "Just... not now."

"Oh," Ginny said in disappointment. "You don't want me."

"I just need a little time," he said lamely.

"Take it slow you mean?" Ginny asked hopefully.

"Yeah," he said, pushing her cider to her.

"Thanks," Ginny said softly.

"Let's go sit down again," he said.

"Sure," Ginny replied.

He didn't take her hand again this time, and walked in front of her instead of next to her on the way back to the table. Cho and Ernie were sitting down and talking about something when they got there.

"You two looked like you were having fun out there," Ernie said smiling at them.

"We were," Neville nodded.

"Everything okay?" Cho asked noticing the change in Neville's demeanour.

Neville gave his head a little shake. "Fine."

"Fine," Ginny echoed.

Cho noticed the trouble in paradise but didn't mention it. "So Neville... you haven't talked to me much about your research lately. Have you found out anything new on your parents condition?"

"Nothing since the last time we spoke about it," Neville said. "I am going to go to Berlin in a couple of months to meet with these researchers who have worked on counteracting the curse."

"That's fantastic," Cho smiled at him. "You've come so far in such a short time though Nev."

"My motives are selfish though," Neville admitted. "I just want them back."

"That's not selfish," Cho replied. "It's your motive. And if you're able to discover a cure... that will help so many people."

Neville nodded. "Thanks, Cho."

"I'm really proud of you," Cho ignored Ginny's glare.

"I couldn't have done it without your help," Neville told her. "I mean that."

"I'll do anything I can to help you," Cho felt her face grow warm.

"Ernie, why don't you ask Cho to dance?" Ginny asked him.

"Actually," Neville pushed back his chair. "I promised Cho one dance. Do you two mind?"

"What?" Ginny squeaked.

"It's okay with me," Ernie said. "I'll keep Ginny company."

"Thanks," Neville said as he and Cho stood up.

Cho couldn't help the smile that came across her face as she took Neville's hand.

"You do look quite smashing this evening," Neville told her as they headed to the dance floor.

Cho beamed at him. "And you are quite handsome and dashing in your dress robes. You clean up quite nicely, Healer Longbottom."

"This set used to be my dad's," Neville told her. "Gran had them cleaned up for me for tonight."

"They're really nice," Cho said shivering as he put his hands on her waist.

"Are you cold?" he asked in concern.

Cho shook her head and met his gaze. "No, I'm not cold. I'm...I'm feeling quite nice actually."

"You're a good dancer," Neville nodded. "Much better than me."

"It's all those classes I took when I was a kid," Cho told him. "I actually thought about becoming a professional dancer at one point."

"But instead you went into medicine," Neville replied. "And I'm glad you did."

"Me too," Cho said softly.

"I've really enjoyed working under you," Neville said. "In a way, I'll be sorry when I finish interning."

"We'll still see each other," Cho reassured him.

"We definitely will," Neville nodded.

Cho knew that things were going well right now, but she had to ask. "So you and Ginny?"

Neville nodded. "Things were going well until Malfoy came by. It just... it just made me think of when I caught them together."

"That's only natural after what went on," Cho told him.

"I just remembered what a fool I felt like," Neville shook his head.

"She was the fool," Cho said quietly. "She was the fool for hurting a great bloke in favour of a complete arse."

"Just makes me wonder if I'm stepping back into the same situation again," Neville replied.

"Trust is very important in a relationship," Cho said choosing her words carefully. "Without it, what do you have?"

"Not a whole lot," Neville admitted.

"I just want you to be happy," Cho said softly.

"I want the same for you too," Neville smiled at her. "You're one hell of a woman, Cho Chang."

"You wouldn't be trying to butter me up for a good evaluation now would you?" Cho asked teasingly.

"Somehow I think I've already got that," Neville joked.

"Do you now?" Cho asked with a laugh.

"Maybe," Neville spun her around.

Back at the table, Ginny was sitting alone. Ernie had left to get her another cup of cider. She was glaring at her date. How could he leave her for Cho Chang of all people?

"What a slag," she muttered. Someone sat down and thinking it was Ernie, she turned to complain about their dates. Instead, she found herself face to face with Malfoy.

"Go away," Ginny told him.

"I don't think so Red," Draco leaned back in his chair. "You look good."

Ginny didn't respond.

"I know we didn't part on the best of terms," Draco said in a low voice. "But there's something about you, Red."

"On the best of terms?" Ginny asked incredulously. "You badmouthed me to your mother and then walked away."

"You strung me along, making me think you wanted me," Draco reminded her. "Then as soon as Longbottom wakes up, you acted like I didn't exist."

"That's because I love him," Ginny retorted. "Like you'd know anything about that."

"If you loved him you wouldn't let him be out there dancing with another woman," Draco looked over his shoulder. "She's pretty hot..."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "They're just having one dance."

"Two songs ago," Draco said slyly.

"Why don't you go back to your wife?" Ginny asked him. "And leave me alone."

"I don't even know where Bianca is," Draco looked around. "She's probably off with some bloke."

"And you don't care?" Ginny asked in surprise.

"Why should I?" he asked. "I don't love her."

"You've never loved anyone but yourself," Ginny said. "And how you could marry someone you don't love, well that's beyond me."

"It's all politics, Red." Draco pushed back the chair. "Besides, the only woman I ever could have feelings for treated me like shit."

"You treated me like shit," Ginny reminded him.

"I cared about you," he said, his eyes narrowed.

"Draco," Ginny said her tone softening.

Draco stood up. "I'll see you around, Red."

"Bye," Ginny said watching him go. He had cared about her? She couldn't believe it. She'd thought it had all been a game.

A moment later Cho and Neville came back to the table. "Have a nice dance?" she asked, trying to keep the bitterness from her tone. She couldn't help noticing Draco across the room.

"Quite nice," Neville told her. "They're going to start serving soon."

Ginny shrugged. "I'm not that hungry."

"Are you feeling okay?" Neville asked.

"I'm kind of tired," Ginny saw her chance to get Neville to stay by her side.

Neville put his hand to her forehead. "You do feel a little warm."

"It's warm here in the room," Cho pointed out.

"Can we just sit here together?" Ginny asked Neville. "Please?"

"Sure," he nodded. "I'll have someone get you some water."

"Thanks," Ginny said gratefully, pecking him on the cheek.

Cho looked the other way so no one could see her roll her eyes. "I'll go get it for you," she offered, wanting to leave the table.

"Thanks," Ginny said sweetly.

"Thanks," Neville echoed.

It seemed to be two steps forward and three steps back with Neville, she lamented to herself.

"You might feel better if you eat something," Neville told her. "You need to keep up your strength."

"I suppose," Ginny felt bad for lying to him, but she wasn't about to let Cho Chang sink her hooks into him. And she also felt guilty about letting Malfoy affect her.

Neville reached for her hand. "I am glad that you came here with me, Ginny."

"I'm glad you invited me," Ginny squeezed his hand.

Neville gave her a kiss. "I just don't want you to overdo it."

"Just sit here with me then," Ginny said softly.

"That I can do," Neville said smiling at her.

*** *** ***

Lavender wished she could talk to her best friend- Hermione had been gone about a week and wouldn't be back for another, and the blonde desperately needed someone to talk to about her low life ex boyfriend. Luna had obviously been right when she'd read Lavender's palm and was worried about her love line, as out of the blue, Darren had broken up with her last night with some cock and bull story about an ex girlfriend.

The last thing she wanted to do was end up an old maid and though Luna claimed the readings were just for fun, maybe she could tell if true love really was in Lavender's future. It was worth a shot. She only hoped Luna was home.

She debated on using the Floo network to go over there, but instead opted for knocking on the door.

She had no way of knowing this, of course, but Ron and Luna were just sitting down to dinner with a guest. Luna excused herself to answer the door and when she opened the door, she couldn't help the gasp that escaped her mouth.

"Lavender? What in the world---"

"I'm sorry to burst in on you like this," Lavender wiped at her eyes. "I just... I need to talk to someone and Hermione isn't here--"

"Of course," Luna said motioning for her to come inside. "Oh, Lavender---"

"How did you know?" Lavender asked. "You said you couldn't really read the future, but you knew Darren was going to break my heart."

"Um," Luna said biting her lip. "Really, I do those things on a lark, Lavender. I'm not really a Seer."

Lavender stared at her. "But you knew..."

"I was just reading your love line based on the books I've read on it," Luna explained.

"Oi!" Ron called out from the kitchen. "We're starving in here, Loony!"

Lavender wiped at her eyes. "Oh! You were about to have dinner----"

"Come and join us," Luna urged.

"I couldn't impose," Lavender said. "And I'm not really hungry---"

"Nonsense," Luna said. "Whatever you don't eat, Ronald will."

"Okay," Lavender relented, not really wanting to go home to an empty flat. "If you're sure it's okay."

"Fine," Luna smiled. "Charlie's here too."

"That's nice," Lavender sniffled following Luna into the kitchen.

"Lavender's joining us for supper," Luna told her fiancé and future brother in law. "Charlie, have you ever met her?"

"No, but you used to date my brother, didn't you?" Charlie asked.

Ron stared at the blonde who usually looked so put together. "What's with your eyes? You look like a raccoon!"

"Oh," Lavender put her hand over her eye. "Um... would it be all right if I used the loo for a moment?"

"Of course," Luna said. "It's down the hall, first door on your left."

"Thank you," Lavender made a quick exit, horrified that she'd let herself be seen as such a mess.

"Ronald, that wasn't very nice," Luna said as she set out another place setting. "She's just broken up with her boyfriend."

"I didn't know," Ron replied with his mouth full.

"Well, you shouldn't have said anything," Luna chastised.

"Should I have let her go around looking like a forest animal then?" Ron asked.

Charlie grinned at her. "Luna, you know by now Ron lives with his foot in his mouth."

"And it's usually endearing, but please think tonight before you speak, Ronald," Luna said softly, fondly mussing his hair.

"I'll try," Ron replied.

"I'm really glad you two asked me to stop by," Charlie said conversationally. "Mum's trying to wrap up three months of nagging into my two-week stay."

Ron grinned. "Is she bugging you still about settling down?"

Charlie nodded and started a near pitch-perfect impression of Molly Weasley. "I just want grandchildren, Charlie. Is that so wrong?"

"Bill and Fleur have given her grandchildren though," Luna pointed out.

Charlie laughed. "She wants more."

"We haven't even set a date and Mum's already wanting some from me and Luna," Ron told him.

Lavender entered the kitchen. "I'm sorry about that."

Luna smiled. "Pull up a seat."

"Thanks," Lavender said wiping at her eyes.

"So why'd you break up with your boyfriend?" Ron asked.

"Ronald," Luna hissed.

"Sorry," Ron said sheepishly.

"He... he broke up with me," Lavender said softly. "I don't know why."

"It's his loss," Luna said loyally. "You're a terrific catch."

"He said that it wasn't me, it was him," Lavender said. "Why do blokes use that tired old line?"

"They only do when they're arseholes," Charlie told her. "If he used it, that means he's a real wanker."

Lavender gave him a half-smile. "I really thought he was the one."

"A guy like that probably won't ever settle for one," Charlie explained.

"Probably not," Lavender said absently stirring her bowl of soup.

"Charlie's from Romania," Luna told her. "He's here in London for a couple of weeks."

"I went to Romania for a shoot," Lavender replied. "It's pretty wild out there... but I liked it."

"I work on a reservation tending to dragons," Charlie explained. "Just outside of Transylvania."

Lavender nodded. "I remember Ron talking about that."

"So you did used to date my little brother, right?" Charlie asked. "He had this one girlfriend who gave him this cheesy necklace. Bill and I laughed our arses off when we heard about it..."

Lavender blushed. "That was me..." she murmured. "I've grown up a bit since then."

"That was you?" Charlie asked. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"It was pretty dumb," Lavender was still red.

"You weren't dumb," Ron told her, as he reached for a piece of bread. "You were just really demanding, whiny, and superficial. Not to mention---OW!"

"Ronald!" Luna hissed through clenched teeth. "You promised to try!"

"You didn't need to kick me," Ron said before popping the bread into his mouth.

Charlie shook his head at his brother. "You're the one who wore the necklace, Ronniekins. You're lucky Fred and George never found out about it."

"Promise me you'll never tell them," Ron said seriously.

"Be nice and I won't have to," Charlie smiled at Lavender.

Lavender smiled gratefully at him.

Luna watched this and couldn't help but think her instincts had been right. There was a slight age difference between them and on the surface they didn't have that much in common, but that didn't always mean much.

"I actually think I'm scheduled for a shoot in Transylvania next month," Lavender was saying. "They want us to pose by the castle as Dracula's brides- it's the theme of the dress robes this new designer came out with."

"That's certainly interesting," Charlie said. "I don't read many fashion magazines though."

Lavender nodded. "Not many blokes do."

"Ginny used to have them all over the house though," Charlie remembered. "Still does, actually."

"Lavender," Luna said after a few moments of silence. "I know we're not very close, but I'd love to have you and Hermione as my bridesmaids when Ronald and I get married..."

"Me?" Lavender asked taken aback.

"I hope you will," Luna said earnestly. "And Ginny too, of course."

Lavender smiled. "I'd be honoured."

"Wonderful," Luna said happily. "Ron's going to have his brothers as groomsmen."

"So, you'll have me, Hermione, and Ginny," Lavender said thoughtfully. "But Ron has four brothers...aren't you going to be short a bridesmaid?"

"We could get Fred to wear a dress," Ron said happily.

Lavender smiled. "That would be a sight..."

Charlie nodded. "He could walk down the aisle with George."

Ron cackled. "We could call him Frederica. Luna---we have to do this!"

"Ronald," Luna shook her head.

"Who are you going to ask then?" Ron asked her.

"I was thinking of asking Fleur," Luna replied. "She's always been very sweet to me."

"Good luck getting her and Ginny in the same room," Charlie told her. "She's still referring to her as 'Phlegm'."

"I'm sure they can put aside their differences for a day," Luna said. "Fleur would be a great help to me on our wedding day."

"She'll behave," Charlie said. "I'll make sure of it. Gin listens to me."

"Thank you Charlie," Luna said. "I appreciate it."

Lavender managed to eat half of her soup and after the meal was over, she and Luna retired to the sitting room while the two men had a beer in the kitchen. Luna whispered something to Ron before leaving the room.

"Now?" Ron whispered back.

"Do it," Luna ordered over her shoulder.

"What's that about?" Charlie asked using his wand to gather the dishes.

"Um..." Ron cast a glare at his fiancée. "Nothing--"

"Ronald," Luna said in a firm tone.

"I don't like this, okay?" he whispered to her.

"Just try," Luna said leaving them alone.

"You two already act like you're married," Charlie said grinning at his brother.

"Yeah well..." Ron shook his head. "Um... look, I have to ask you this or I'll be sleeping on the sofa tonight."

"But no pressure, right?" Charlie asked dryly.

"I won't pressure you," Ron said. "I don't know about Luna though."

"Okay," Charlie said leaning against the counter.

"What do you think of Lavender?" Ron asked his brother.

Charlie glanced at him. "I think you're turning into Mum."

"It's not me!" Ron swore. "Luna for some reason thinks the two of you would be great together."

"I just met the girl," Charlie said shaking his head.

"I tried to tell her that," Ron told his brother. "But you know how women are..."

"Not to mention that girl is just getting over a break-up," Charlie said. "No thank you."

"All right," Ron nodded. "I understand."

In the sitting room, Lavender was talking to Luna about Darren.

"I just don't know what I did wrong," Lavender was saying. "Was I too pushy? Did I need too much?"

"He just wasn't the right bloke for you," Luna tried to reassure her. "I know it hurts, but when you realise it, the pain won't be as bad."

"You really think so?" Lavender asked hopefully. "Because right now, I just feel horrible."

Luna looked down at her lap for a moment. "You know... this may or may not help, but when I figured out I was doing those horrible things at Hogwarts- and when I discovered what I had done to Ronald- I felt about as low as I ever had. I didn't think he could ever forgive me."

"But he did," Lavender said softly. "He loves you. Anyone can see that. I just want that in my life, too. But, it seems like that's never going to happen."

"It will," Luna told her. "You just need to meet the right guy. I'm sorry Darren wasn't it."

Lavender sighed. "Yeah..."

"Maybe the right guy is just under your nose," Luna thought of Charlie in the kitchen. "And you'll realise it when the time is right."

Lavender wasn't so sure about that. "Thank you for listening to me. Parvati and I aren't close anymore and with Hermione out of town, I really needed someone to talk to."

"I'm glad we're becoming better friends," Luna said sincerely. "I don't have that many."

"You should have hundreds," Lavender said genuinely. "You're a great listener. I-I'm really sorry for some of the things I used to say about you when we were in school. I know I wasn't very nice."

"It's okay," Luna nodded. "We were younger back then, and I was off in my own world most of the time."

"It's no excuse," Lavender said. "Ron was right. I was demanding, whiny and superficial back then. But I'd like to think I've changed a little."

"I think you have," Luna smiled at her.

Lavender smiled. "And I've taken up more than enough of your time. Thank you for listening to me."

"Anytime," Luna replied. "I could make some coffee, if you'd like to stick around."

"Maybe next time," Lavender replied. "I have a shoot tomorrow morning and my eyes are already red and puffy.'

"You'll look beautiful, especially if you get a good night's rest." Luna stood up. "Our door is always open, Lavender. Drop by anytime."

Lavender gave her a hug. "Thank you, Luna. You have no idea how much I appreciate that."

"And when Hermione comes back, we can start looking for robes for the wedding," Luna hugged her back. "I'm going to bug Ronald about setting a date within the next few days."

"Shopping," Lavender said smiling at her. "That always cheers me up."

Luna smiled. "I'll walk you out."

"Hang on," Charlie called out.

"What?" Luna asked.

"Lavender, could I ask you something?" Charlie asked stepping closer to them. The blonde nodded her head and looked quizzically at him.

"I, uh, overheard you say that you liked to shop," Charlie began. "And I'm rubbish at it. I wanted to get something nice for my mum, but I have no idea what to get her. I was thinking that you might accompany me to the shops and help me pick something out."

"Right now?" Lavender asked.

"I was thinking late afternoon tomorrow," Charlie said scuffing his feet on the floor. "If you aren't busy, that is..."

"I... don't think I am." Lavender rubbed her arm. "I suppose that'd be all right."

"We could meet outside of Fortescue's," Charlie suggested. "Say...two o'clock?"

"Sure," Lavender said.

"I could even buy you a coffee or something as thanks," Charlie said.

"You don't have to," Lavender said.

"I insist," Charlie said smiling at her.

"Okay then," Lavender smiled back. "I'll see you at two."

"Two it is," Charlie said watching as Lavender opened the door.

After Lavender had gone, Luna threw her arms around Charlie and gave him a big hug. "Thank you for doing that, Charlie."

Charlie patted her back. "She's really just doing me a favour, Luna. I'm not looking for a girlfriend right now."

"You never know," Luna said softly.

Charlie shook his head. "Ron told me you were stubborn."

"Like a mule," Ron said shaking his head.

"Are you calling me a mule?" Luna put her hands on her hips.

"I meant it in the best possible way," Ron said hastily.

"Go easy on him Luna," Charlie grinned. "Like I said- he lives with his foot in his mouth."

"I'll let that one slide," Luna said. "He is going to be the father of my children."

"Weasleys do have large families," Charlie pointed out. "You might have two sets of twins..."

"And a little girl that looks just like me?" Luna joked. "Plus a Ronald Jr.?"

"I could do without the two sets of twins, but a little girl that looks as beautiful as you sounds alright to me," Ron said putting his arm around her. "And I like Ronald Jr."

Luna beamed at him. "You are so not in trouble for anything you say the rest of the night."

Ron looked at his brother. "I have a witness, right? You heard that?"

Charlie laughed. "On that note, I'm heading out of here."

Luna gave him another hug. "I'm so happy you came over and that you and Lavender are going out on a date."

"It's not a date, matchmaker," Charlie reminded her.

"Luna come on," Ron shook his head. "She just got dumped. Charlie's not a rebound."

"If you want to get technical," Luna said. "I was your rebound from Lavender, Ronald. And we're about to get married."

"That's true," Ron nodded.

"It's just not a good time for me," Charlie held up his hands. "But she's a nice girl, and I do need help finding a gift for mum."

"I promise not to push," Luna told him. "And give my best to Molly, Arthur and Ginny."

"I will," Charlie kissed her cheek.

"See you, mate," Ron said to his brother.

"Night you two," Charlie ducked out.

"I knew they'd hit it off," Luna said to Ron.

"Luna," Ron warned. "Don't push."

"I'm not pushing," Luna said sweetly. "I'm just nudging."

"Your nudges are hard enough to drive a bloke into the English Channel," Ron teased.

Luna giggled. "I just have a good feeling, Ronald. I can't explain it. In fact, if this works out, maybe I'll become a matchmaker..."

"Does that entail more costumes that get me all turned on?" Ron asked hopefully.

"Maybe," Luna said grinning at him.

"Then I fully support you as a matchmaker," Ron pulled her close.

Luna looped her arms around his neck. "You know, I really like watching you in your Quidditch robes..."

"You do?" Ron asked.

Luna nodded. "I really, really do."

"What if I wore nothing but my Quidditch robes?" Ron asked.

Luna smiled up at him. "I don't know if I could stand it."

"Maybe I wont' torture you then." Ron kissed under her chin. "I'll just wear nothing..."

"In that case," Luna said grabbing his arm. "I'll race you to the bedroom."