Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Taking a break from The Office and Grey's Anatomy finales to post tonight's chapter. We hope you enjoy it!

Hermione arrived at Grimmauld Place at a quarter of seven that morning. She hoped she wasn't being rude by being that early, but the smells coming from the kitchen told her she wasn't the only one awake.

"Hello?" she called out.

"Hermione!" Sirius smiled warmly at her. "It's wonderful to see you again."

Hermione came forward and gave him a big hug. "I've missed you, Sirius!"

"I've missed you too," Sirius replied. "You're just as beautiful as you ever were."

Hermione smiled at him. "And you are just as handsome. Where's Harry?"

"Last I saw, still sleeping, but I did hear the shower go on a little while ago, so I'm assuming he's awake," Sirius replied. "Come on in and grab a plate."

"Everything looks so good," Hermione said, her mouth watering as she took a look at the food Sirius had prepared.

"I hope you came hungry," Sirius teased.

"Always," Hermione said grabbing a plate.

"Sirius!" Harry called. "Where's the--" he appeared in the doorway in nothing but a towel wrapped around his hips.

Hermione turned with the plate in her hands and was so dazed by what she saw, she dropped her plate.

"Merlin!" Hermione exclaimed. "Sirius, I'm sorry!"

Sirius grinned. "I can fix it. Nice outfit Harry..." he smirked at his godson.

"I didn't know she was going to be here," Harry apologised. He couldn't help but grin at how Hermione was trying to look everywhere but at him. "Good morning, Hermione."

"Morning," Hermione took the plate Sirius had fixed and began piling food onto it.

"I'll be right back," Harry said grabbing a pastry before heading back upstairs.

Hermione shook her head as she sat down. "Like I said, it's good to know some things haven't changed."

"Yes," Sirius said dryly. "My godson is still an exhibitionist."

Hermione cracked a small smile. "I heard you only stayed the one year in Vancouver."

Sirius nodded. "It was a good assignment, but I'm better suited for the field."

"I wouldn't mind teaching but I know what you mean. I think I'd like to be out there getting as many bad guys as possible," Hermione's smile was more genuine this time.

Sirius grinned at her. "You and I are alike that way, Hermione. I heard some great things from Remus about you. Graduated at the top of your training class...."

She blushed. "Well my parents have always told me to strive to be the best."

"I tried to do the same for Harry," Sirius commented.

"If I can't be the best, then I'll just be the best looking," Harry answered, coming into the kitchen.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Still as arrogant as ever, I see."

"I thought you always liked that about me," Harry replied, sitting down.

Hermione chose to ignore that and she reached for another pastry.

"Whatever you don't eat, you're taking back for leftovers," Sirius told her. "So fill up."

"Don't you worry," Hermione reassured him. "But I probably shouldn't eat so much since I'm going to have to wear swimming costumes...."

"I'm sure you look fine," Harry commented. "If you still look like you did three years ago..."

Hermione looked across the table at him. She held his gaze for a few moments before she spoke again. "Did Lupin give us a definite time of departure yet?"

"Day after tomorrow, we leave from the Ministry sometime in the morning," Harry told her.

Hermione nodded. "I'm going shopping later with Lavender for some new clothes."

"You've kept in touch with Lavender?" Harry asked.

"She's my flatmate," Hermione replied. "And my best friend."

"Wow," Harry replied. "Isn't she a model now?"

Hermione nodded. "Let me guess...you'd like me to set you up with her?"

"When would I have time for that?" Harry asked.

"In between all your other exploits?" Hermione asked sarcastically before she could stop herself.

"She's been reading the papers," Sirius said dryly.

Harry shrugged. "I had some fun over there. Big deal."

"Me too," Hermione said knowing she should shut up but not able to help herself. "Over here, I mean. Michael really got me to loosen up."

Harry rolled his eyes at the mention of Hermione's ex boyfriend.

"Michael?" Sirius asked. "And who is that?"

"A guy I was with for a little while," Hermione pushed a piece of egg around her plate. "We've broken up though."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Sirius told her. "It is hard for an Auror to have a personal life."

"Yeah... but we weren't working out anyway." Hermione shrugged, not meeting Harry's eyes.

"His loss," Sirius said before taking a sip from his juice glass.

Hermione set her fork down. "We should get to work," she looked over at Harry.

"I'll leave you to it," Sirius said grabbing his plate. "I have some things I have to go over in my office anyway."

"We'll let you know if we need anything," Harry told him.

"You know where to find me," Sirius said before leaving them alone.

"So..." Harry leaned back in his chair.

"Did you read over the case notes?" Hermione asked him.

"Read them and memorized them," Harry replied. "Impressed?"

Hermione nodded. "Very. Who are you and what have you done with Harry Potter?"

"I'm a responsible Auror, you know." Harry told her. "I wouldn't have made it this far if I wasn't."

"I know," Hermione said looking at him. "I didn't mean to make it sound like you weren't. I just remember the boy who used to nod off in class; who never wanted to do his homework."

"If I was in school, I'd have done the homework," Harry replied. "Seeing as how I wasn't really a student--"

"And how none of it was real," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Not everything was fake," Harry answered.

Hermione stared at him. "Um..."

Harry shrugged. "How about you, have you gone over the case notes?"

"Yes," Hermione replied, happy for the change in topic. "I know everything there is to know about Dolohov."

"Good," Harry answered. "He's a real piece of work."

Hermione nodded. "He mustn't find out that I'm Muggle-born."

"No," Harry agreed. "But with our assumed identities, we'll both be pure blood."

"Janie and James," Hermione said.

Harry smiled slightly. "You know..." he began. "We're also going to have to act like husband and wife."

"I know that," Hermione said. "But that's just when other people are around. We'll have told hold hands and things like that.."

"We'll have to kiss," Harry interrupted. "And--"

"No, we most certainly do not," Hermione said indignantly. "We can just do little pecks on the cheek."

"We're going to be posing as a couple on their honeymoon," Harry pointed out. "Honeymooning couples do not just peck each other on the cheek."

"This honeymoon couple does," Hermione said pushing her plate away.

Harry sighed. "Hermione, if you want this to work we have to be convincing."

"It's not as if we'll be shagging in front of Dolohov," Hermione said defensively. "We can just say that I'm not in to public displays of affection."

Harry shook his head. "If you're not willing to compromise, then this isn't going to work. Whether or not you like me or want to work with me shouldn't even be part of this, Hermione."

Hermione hated to admit that he had a point. "Okay, okay. You can kiss me if you want."

"I just want it to be convincing," Harry replied. "I know how these assignments are."

"Right," Hermione reluctantly agreed. This was just great. She would get to pretend that she was in love with Harry and watch him pretend to do the same. It was hard enough watching him do it the first time.

"We'll be down in the Cayman Islands for two weeks," Harry said. "So we've got to get this all finished by then."

"The case notes said that he hits on anything that moves," Hermione said. "You don't think that he'd try anything with me, do you?"

"If he does, I'll make sure it's the last thing he ever does," Harry said seriously.

Hermione looked at him and could tell he meant it. "It means a lot to me that you have my back on this."

"That's what we Aurors do," Harry answered.

Hermione smiled. "I'm sorry about yesterday. It was just that I hadn't seen you in so long and we didn't part on the best terms."

Harry was so surprised at her apology he nearly fell off his chair. "You are?" he asked.

"I usually don't let my emotions get the best of me," Hermione told him. "And I was so excited about graduating from the program and getting my first big assignment and then I turn around and there you are. It was like getting the wind knocked out of me, Harry."

"You took me for a ride too," Harry said. "I never thought... I never thought I'd meet a girl like you."

"And you probably thought you'd never see me again," Hermione said reaching for her glass.

"I wasn't sure," Harry confessed.

Hermione nodded, not sure she wanted this track of conversation to continue. "So, um, how close will our cottage be to Dolohov?"

"We've been rented out a little home on his hotel property," Harry passed her a sheet of parchment. "It's good because some Aurors have already been in it to prep for our arrival."

Hermione looked at the pictures. "Looks rather cosy, actually."

"Lupin said they're really nice." Harry moved next to her.

"I've never been to the Caymans before," Hermione said looking sideways at him. "You?"

Harry shook his head. "Nope."

"I always wanted to," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I never heard of it before," Harry answered.

Hermione smiled and nearly told him that this was just the type of place she'd dreamed of them going to all those years ago when they'd planned going on holiday. It seemed like ages ago.

"Um... Lupin wants to see us later this afternoon," Harry said. "More prep work..."

"You getting your makeover?" Hermione asked him teasingly.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Something like that."

"Next time you see me, I'll have straight hair," Hermione said tugging on one of her curls. "That's the extent of my makeover."

"Lucky you," Harry said. "I have to change my hair and my eye colour."

"Just promise me you're not going blonde," Hermione said pleadingly.

"What's wrong with blond?" Harry asked, smiling at her.

"Way too much like Malfoy," Hermione said nudging him. "Don't go there."

Harry laughed. "I promise not to go blond."

"Great," Hermione said. "Um, so what's the plan? How do we get close to Dolohov?"

"We play like high rollers," Harry answered. "He loves rich people."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Great...he's a lecherous, bigoted snob."

"That he is," Harry nodded.

They spent the next few minutes going over the layout of the cottage and their proximity to Dolohov's estate. They didn't have much time so they had to get in with Dolohov pretty quickly.

"I think we'll get in quickly," Harry said. "Dolohov's a notorious gambler... I'll get him in a few rounds of poker."

"I didn't realise you played," Hermione said.

"Sirius showed me," Harry answered. "We used to play dumb and clean out Lupin."

"You're just full of surprises," Hermione said softly.

Harry shrugged. "I'm sure you have some hidden talents."

"I do," Hermione said coyly, picking up another sheet of parchment.

Harry watched her. "Such as?"

Hermione shook her head. "They wouldn't be hidden if I told you what they were..."

"Fine..." Harry stood up and put his plate in the sink.

"I might reveal them during our 'honeymoon'," Hermione said picking up her plate.

"You make it sound very mysterious," Harry watched her.

Hermione just shrugged her shoulders as she brushed past him to put her plate in the sink.

Harry stood back against the counter and stared at her.

"Yes?" Hermione asked looking back at him.

Harry shrugged. "Nothing."

Hermione smiled at him. "You're dying to know, aren't you?"

"I don't care," he answered.

Hermione stepped closer to him. "You are absolutely dying to know."

"Know what?" Harry crossed his arms.

"What my hidden talent is," Hermione sing-songed.

Harry smirked at her. "I already know of quite a few of them."

"Oh yeah?" Hermione challenged.

"Uh huh," Harry answered, leaning in just a bit.

"You only think you do," Hermione said grinning at him.

"I remember one night, in my bed while we were in Gryffindor..." Harry said. "You did this thing with your body. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days."

Hermione's cheeks turned red. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

"I see you remember," he replied with a grin.

"I-I vaguely recall something," Hermione stammered.

"Something..." Harry agreed.

"I should go," Hermione said trying to get past him. "I said I'd meet Lavender."

"Are you scared?" Harry asked, amused.

"Me?" Hermione asked in a much higher pitched voice than she intended. "No...Of course not!"

Harry smirked again. "I'll see you later, Granger. Don't' be late."

Hermione nodded and let out a nervous laugh before picking up her belongings and getting out of there as fast as her legs could carry her.

"What did you say to her?" Sirius demanded, coming in as she rushed out.

Harry leaned against the counter. "Just a trip down memory lane, Sirius."

"Did you say something rude?" Sirius asked.

Harry shook his head. "Not at all. In fact, we were getting along."

"She's a sweet girl," Sirius said. "Don't' you go messing her about again."

"I know she is," Harry said. "I'm not going to mess her about, Sirius."

"Good," Sirius replied.

Hermione met Lavender in one of Muggle London's hottest boutiques. She was still unnerved by what had happened earlier with Harry. Why was she still so bloody attracted to him?

"Hey," Lavender greeted her. "I think this is the first time... well... ever... that I've been the first one there when we meet."

"What?" Hermione asked.

"I'm normally the late one," Lavender looked at her watch.

"No thanks, I'm fine," Hermione said quietly.

Lavender looked at her friend. "Hermione? Are you okay?"

"Fine," Hermione said. "Sorry... I'm just thinking a lot."

"That's normal for you," Lavender teased.

Hermione managed a weak smile. "I can't really talk about what's going on, but I'm going to need island clothing."

Lavender grinned. "That we can do. I saw a red two-piece that would look fabulous on you."

"Okay," Hermione tried to muster up some enthusiasm.

Lavender led the way toward the back of the boutique. "I have a few pieces at home that you can borrow, too."

"Thanks," Hermione answered. "I wish I could tell you more but..."

"You can tell me everything once you get back," Lavender said picking up some suits and handing them to Hermione. "I have been dying to take you shopping. And not that you don't have your own special fashion sense, but you could do so much more with what you have Hermione."

Hermione looked sceptically at the swim costume Lavender had thrust in her hands. "Where's the rest of this?"

"That's it," Lavender said laughing. "You know...with your colouring, I think you might like that in green. Let me see if I can find one in that shade."

"Green- like his eyes..." a little voice nagged in her head.

"Oooh!" Lavender squealed holding up her find. "What do you think?"

"It's nice," Hermione admitted.

Lavender pushed her friend gently toward the changing rooms. "Get to it, then."

Hermione felt extremely self conscious once she'd put the bikini on. She wasn't completely slender and willowy like her friend.

"You doing okay in there?" Lavender called out.

"I don't know about this!" Hermione answered. She wasn't sure how she felt about this. And what was more important- she wasn't sure what Harry would think either.

"Let me see," Lavender said opening the door slightly. "Hermione, what's wrong? You look amazing!"

Hermione looked at herself critically. "I do not."

"If you'd stand up straight and push your chest out," Lavender instructed. "You'd see differently. Honestly..."

"Push my chest out?" Hermione asked. "Lavender!"

"Do it," Lavender ordered. "And let's take your hair down.."

Hermione sighed as Lavender came forward and pulled the hair tie from her bushy hair.

Lavender smiled. "Perfect. And all that training you've done has done wonders for your body..."

"I guess so," Hermione turned to the side.

"As your best friend, I will not allow you to leave this boutique without buying that suit," Lavender said.

"Fine," Hermione said. "I guess it'll work."

"Great," Lavender said clapping her hands together. "Now you stay put. I'm going to go and find you some dresses."

Hermione sat down on the bench inside the room while her friend eagerly searched for clothing.

Her mind went back to that day three years ago when she'd been in that Hogsmeade shop looking for dress robes.

What she and Harry had done in that dressing room still brought a flush to her cheeks.

Lavender knocked on the door. "Okay, I got a little carried away. But, we have the rest of the afternoon. You should start with this one...."

"Bloody hell," Hermione said as Lavender hung up her armloads of clothes.

"It's not that much," Lavender assured her.

"I think it's more than enough," Hermione said. "But then again... I'm supposed to be rich. So I guess I need to over pack."

"Music to my ears!" Lavender exclaimed. "Which reminds me...we'll need accessories too!"

"How long will this take?" Hermione asked. "Because I have to be back tonight to... I just have somewhere to be."

"We'll be quick," Lavender promised. "You get started and I'm going to go and look at the handbags."

"All right," Hermione said, wanting to get this done as quickly as possible.

"And don't worry," Lavender said. "I know the owner and she's agreed to give us a huge discount."

"That's the first good thing I've heard all day," Hermione replied dryly.

"See?" Lavender asked her. "It's not always WHAT you know, but WHO you know."

"If you say so," Hermione shrugged out of the bikini and started trying on some of the other things.

Nearly an hour and a half later, Hermione and Lavender returned to their flat with numerous carrier bags. And true to her word, Lavender's friend had given them a huge discount.

"And maybe once you come back, you can let me borrow a few of these," Lavender dug through the bags.

"Of course," Hermione told her. "I probably won't wear them again after I get back anyway."

"I love new clothes," Lavender said covetously.

"And you have the walk-in closet to prove it," Hermione teased. "I should put these away. Harry's stopping by in a bit."

"You're working with Harry?" Lavender stopped still.

Hermione remembered much too late that she had left that detail out. "Um, look at the time. I should get---"

"Hermione!" Lavender exclaimed.

"Okay," Hermione relented. "He's my partner on the assignment. That's really all I can tell you, Lavender."

"You've seen him again already, haven't you?" Lavender searched her face.

Hermione nodded. "But don't look at me like that. This is just business nothing more. I'm sure that after this assignment, he'll go back to Vancouver."

Lavender looked sceptical. "Don't let him hurt you again..."

"He's not going to get the chance," Hermione reassured her. "I'm taking this as just another assignment."

"Good," Lavender replied.

"Don't you have to get ready for your date tonight?" Hermione asked her.

"I do!" Lavender brightened.

Hermione giggled as her friend dashed off to her bedroom to get ready. She picked up her bags and carried them into her own room.

Pulling out a suitcase, she took things from the bags and packed them neatly.

She still had a little while before Harry arrived and she thought she'd take a quick kip.

Pushing the suitcase aside, she lay down on her bed and closed her eyes. Unlike her best friend, shopping tired her out.

She didn't know how long she slept, but she was awoken by a knock on the door. She rubbed at her eyes and went to open the door. She called out for her flatmate, but there was no answer.

She tugged her shirt down and straightened up her hair as she went to the door. "Who is it?"

"It's us," a familiar voice called out. Hermione unlocked the door and smiled in surprise when she saw her parents. "Mum, Dad...what are you guys doing here?"

Elinore Granger, who was dressed smartly in a grey suit, grinned at her daughter. "We're here for your celebration dinner!"

"Celebration dinner?" Hermione asked, before clapping her hand to her forehead. "I'm so sorry... I completely forgot!"

Elinore gave her daughter a hug. "It's okay, sweetheart. We still have some time before our reservation."

Hermione wondered if she would have enough time for a quick dinner with her parents. "I just have to go in tonight for a late meeting," she explained. "I've already got my first case."

Robert shared a smile with Elinore. "That's our girl!"

Hermione grinned. "I'm pretty excited too. Come on in, I'll go get ready."

Elinore and Robert made themselves comfortable in the sitting room while Hermione went to get changed.

She was glad now she hadn't packed everything and decided to wear one of 'Janie's' dresses that evening. She was ready in about ten minutes and was heading into the sitting room when there was another knock at the door.

"I'll just get that," Hermione said to her parents.

She was shocked to see Harry standing on the other side of the door. "I know I'm early," he said in greeting. "But I thought we could go over some more stuff--"

"Now's not really a good time," Hermione told him, not opening the door more than a crack.

"Hermione, who is it, love?" her father called out.

"Just a minute!" Hermione answered. "Harry I'll MEET you at the Ministry!" she whispered.

"Michael's here?" Harry asked pushing against the door. "Look, you cannot bail on me just because you have a date...."

Hermione pushed back. "My parents are here," she hissed. "And no, I'm not bailing on you. But we still have an hour and a half until the meeting!"

Robert stood behind his daughter. "Sweetheart, what is it?"

"Dad!" Hermione jumped. "Um... just someone trying to sell something..."

"Hermione's just being funny," Harry called back. "If she'd open the door---"

"Hermione Jane," Robert chided, reaching past her.

Hermione reluctantly stood back and her father opened the door. "Hello, young man. How can we help you?"

Harry looked at the older man. "Hi," he said. "I'm Harry Potter... Hermione's partner."

"Pleasure to meet you," Robert shook Harry's hand. "Robert Granger. And this is my wife, Elinore."

"Nice to meet you both," Harry smiled at them.

"Harry," Hermione said. "My parents and I were just--"

"We were going to take Hermione out for a celebration dinner," Elinore interjected. "We'd love it if you could join us."

Hermione's jaw fell open in disbelief.

Harry had a feeling that he should politely decline, but for some reason he heard himself accept the Grangers' invitation. "If you're sure I'm not intruding--"

"You aren't intruding," Robert said. "We like to get to know all of Hermione's friends."

"Harry's not exactly---" Hermione protested.

"I'd love to go," Harry interrupted.

"Lovely," Elinore said. "Our car is just downstairs."

Hermione glared at him. "What do you think you're doing?" she hissed.

"Going to dinner with you and your parents," Harry replied innocently. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Don't' you play games with me," Hermione gripped his arm tightly.

"Come on, Janie," Harry said enjoying himself. "We are married now and this is the first time I've met my in-laws..."

Hermione jabbed him in the side with her elbow.

"Ow!" Harry yelped.

"Everything okay?" Elinore asked from down the corridor. "Come on, you two..."

Hermione gave him a rather murderous glare as they got into the lift.

Elinore caught her daughter's eye and winked at her. Hermione hadn't told her parents about her previous relationship with Harry.

Hermione smiled stiffly and resisted the urge to kick Harry in the shin. They may have somewhat reconciled that day, but it didn't mean she wanted to have anything to do with him outside of work.

"You know Hermione's father and I started out working together," Elinore said. "We were paired up our first year of dental school...."

"Mum!" Hermione exclaimed blushing.

Robert chuckled. "Hermione doesn't like hearing about her parents before we became the old folk."

Hermione slid into the backseat of the car with Harry.

"It's not that," Hermione said. "I think it's very romantic how you and Mum met, Daddy."

"Over a cavity," Elinore quipped.

"How sweet," Harry joined in.

Hermione shook her head. "Harry..."

"That was a terrible pun," Robert teased him.

"I'll do better on my next one, Dr. Granger," Harry promised.

"You can call me Robert," the older man said.

Hermione couldn't believe this. Her father had never said that to Michael.

"All right," Harry replied. "And you can call me Mr. Potter."

Robert and Elinore both chuckled. "Better pun."

"I've been working on it," Harry joked.

Elinore and Robert started talking about something with their practise and Hermione took the opportunity to talk to Harry. "You're laying it on a little thick, aren't you?" she whispered.

"What?" Harry asked. "I'm not laying on anything."

Hermione turned to look out the window.

"Why are you so angry with me?" Harry asked.

"I'm not," Hermione said. "It's just been a long day."

"No longer than mine," Harry answered.

Hermione turned back to look at him. "You still look like yourself. No makeover yet?"

"That happens later tonight," Harry reminded her.

"Right," Hermione said.

"New dress?" Harry asked.

"Something I borrowed from Janie," Hermione answered wryly.

Harry grinned. "You look beautiful."

She looked at him warily. "I do?"

Harry nodded. "Yes."

"Um... thanks..." Hermione shifted in the seat. "You look nice too."

"Thanks," Harry said. "I hope we're not going anywhere too fancy. I'm a little underdressed."

"It's just this Italian restaurant a few more streets away," Hermione whispered. "We've been going there for years."

"You'll love it," Elinore chimed in.

"I do enjoy Italian," Harry replied.

They arrived at the restaurant a few minutes later and before long, they were seated at a corner table.

"What's your taste Harry?" Robert asked. "Are you a wine drinker?"

"No," Harry made a face. "I'll have a beer- whatever's on tap."

"You sound like Robert," Elinore said smiling at him. "He hates wine, too."

"It's a sissy drink," Robert replied.

"Many blokes drink wine, Daddy," Hermione reminded him. "Michael was quite the connoisseur."

Robert opened his mouth to say something but Elinore patted his arm. "What are you going to get tonight?" she changed the subject.

"I might go for the chicken fettuccine alfredo," Robert said looking at the menu.

"Robert, you need to eat healthier," Elinore reminded him.

"Nonsense," Robert said. "A little fettuccine never hurt anyone."

Elinore shook her head. "I don't even know why I bother. You never listen to me anyway."

"Mum just the other day I saw Daddy finishing off those celery and carrot sticks you made him," Hermione said loyally.

"Really?" Elinore asked looking at her husband.

"I was hungry," Robert was red in the face.

"Uh-huh," Elinore said. "Oh look, Robert. There's Antonio. Let's go and say hello."

"Antonio?" Harry asked Hermione. "That's the owner, I take it?

Hermione nodded. "Like I said, we've been coming here for years. My parents come here every year for their anniversary because this was where my father proposed. And so anything big that happens in the Granger family is celebrated here."

Harry smiled. "That's pretty cool."

"Did you and Sirius have any traditions?" Hermione asked conversationally.

Harry shook his head. "Nothing like this."

Hermione didn't know what else to say so she picked up her menu. She already knew the menu by heart, but at least she didn't have to make lame conversation with him.

"What are you having?" Harry asked. "And what do you recommend?"

"I think I'm going to get the Eggplant Parmesan," Hermione said. "It's one of my favourites. But you would probably like the lasagne."

"What's so special about the lasagne?" he asked.

"I don't know exactly what he does," Hermione said. "But the sauce is just amazing. Really, you ought to try it."

"Maybe I will then," Harry nodded. "Thanks for the recommendation."

"No problem," Hermione said. "You really think we can do this?"

"Have dinner?" Harry asked. "I hope so."

Hermione nudged him. "No, go undercover and bust Dolohov."

"I'm sure we can," Harry said. "We did make a good team, Hermione."

"We did," Hermione said smiling at him.

"Dolohov won't know what hit him," Harry said quietly.

Hermione wanted to believe him. She didn't have too much time to dwell on this as her parents rejoined them. They placed their orders and her parents then set about getting to know Harry. Hermione watched in awe as he joked with her father and completely charmed her mother.

No one had ever been like this with per parents, especially her father. He usually gave her boyfriends the third degree and it took months for them to warm up.

But then again, Harry was not her boyfriend. They were friends, simply friends, and that was the way it was going to stay.

"So, how does your girlfriend feel about your being an Auror?" Elinore asked Harry, as if reading her daughter's mind.

"I'm currently single," Harry answered. "I've just spent the past three years in Vancouver, and I don't know how long I'll be back here."

"Hermione's single, too," Elinore said to Hermione's mortification. "She's just broken up with her boyfriend."

"So I heard," Harry looked at her, the corner of his mouth curving up.

"Can we talk about something, else?" Hermione asked. "Daddy, how's Grandpa doing?"

"Fine," Robert nodded. "He's enjoying the assisted living home."

Elinore though was just getting started. "I think you and our Hermione will work well together, Harry. You have such a great repertoire."

"I think so too," Harry figured she hadn't told her parents about their assignment together at Hogwarts.

"And I think we can trust you to look after her," Robert said.

"Absolutely," Harry nodded.

"I can handle myself too, Daddy," Hermione said defensively.

"Has Hermione told you she's taken tae kwon do since she was six?" Robert asked him.

Harry winced. "I have first hand knowledge of that, Robert."

"Do you really?" Robert asked. "I thought you two just met."

"We actually went to school together," Hermione covered.

"You didn't mention that, sweetheart," Elinore said.

"We didn't know each other that well," Hermione said.

"Oh, that's not true," Harry said. "We knew each other quite well..."

"No we didn't," Hermione's face was turning red and she hurriedly gulped down her wine.

"We did," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "Hermione's just being modest."

She was luckily spared by the arrival of their dinner. Shooting Harry quite a nasty look, she dug into her food.

"This is really quite good," Harry said after taking a bite of his lasagne.

"Antonio's has the best Italian food you'll find out of Italy," Robert told him.

Harry grinned. "I'll have to come back here."

"We'll let Antonio know to expect you sometime," Elinore offered.

"I'm sure they have nice Italian places in Vancouver," Hermione said.

"Not like this," Harry looked at her.

"What do they have in Vancouver?" Hermione challenged.

"They have a few places I would frequent," Harry answered. "But your parents were right. This is the best meal I've had in ages."

"Just goes to show," Elinore said. "There's no place like home."

Harry nodded. "I love it in Vancouver, but I've been thinking of coming back here."

Hermione nearly choked on her wine. "Y-you have?"

"I've missed my godfather," Harry answered.

"Harry's godfather is one of my superiors at the Ministry," Hermione explained to her parents.

Elinore nodded. "Perhaps we can meet him sometime."

"Maybe," Hermione said suddenly not feeling very hungry. This was all so surreal. Three years ago, she would have loved being here with her parents and the boy she loved.

"I'm sure he'd like that," Harry replied. "He's very fond of Hermione."

"Perhaps some day we can invite you both over for dinner?" Elinore suggested.

"We'd love that," Harry answered, ignoring Hermione's squawk.

The rest of the evening past by uncomfortably for Hermione. The other members of the dinner party seemed to be having the time of their lives.

"We really need to get to that meeting," Hermione reminded Harry.

"Right," Harry said. "I'm sorry we can't stay any longer, Robert, Elinore."

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Harry." Robert offered him his hand.

Harry shook his hand and then leaned over to kiss Elinore's cheek. "Pleasure was all mine."

"What a charming young man," Hermione heard her mother say as she practically yanked him out of the restaurant after she said goodbye to her parents.

"You can let go of my arm now," Harry said when they were out on the street. "You're kind of hurting my circulation---"

Hermione dropped his arm. "You are so infuriating you know."

"What?" Harry asked. "I was perfectly charming. And you heard your Mum just then..."

"Little do they know how you AREN'T so charming," Hermione grumbled.

"I am charming," Harry said defensively. "Janie loves me."

"Not right now she doesn't." Hermione turned the corner.

Harry quickened his steps to keep up with her. "Well, you know, I've heard that when married couples fight, they have really great make-up---"

"Don't you even go there!" Hermione snapped.

"Does this mean I'm sleeping on the sofa?" Harry asked teasingly.

"I'd have you in another room if I could," Hermione answered.

Harry laughed. "Janie, Janie, Janie.."

Hermione cast him a furious glare. "I hate you sometimes."

Harry took her arm and led her into an alley. "We should be okay to Apparate from here."

"Fine," she answered coolly, pulling away.

Harry looked over at her. "I'll behave. I promise."

"That'll be the day," Hermione rolled her eyes.

They arrived at the Ministry with only a few seconds to spare. Tonks, Remus and Sirius were already waiting for them.

Tonks grinned mischievously at Harry. "I love giving makeovers. You're going to be putty in my hands."

Harry groaned. "I'm going to bloody wind up with green hair, aren't I?"

"It would match you pretty green eyes," Tonks said taking his hand. "Would you lighten up? It's not like I'm leading you to the guillotine."

"Why don't you do Hermione first?" Harry complained.

"Because hers will not take as long as yours," Tonks explained. "I have to get rid of your scar, change your eye colour, your hair colour and give you a bit of a tan. You are quite pasty, you know..."

"I'm not that pasty," Harry said defensively.

"I'd probably need a tan too," Hermione examined her arms. "I'm rather pale."

"Not as pale as Harry James," Sirius said looking up from his notes.

"Shut it, Old Man," Harry shot back.

"That's Mr. Old Man to you," Sirius quipped.

"I'll mind you to watch the language," Tonks said patting her stomach. "Little Lupin Junior here is impressionable."

"Tonks!" Hermione exclaimed. "You didn't tell me!"

Tonks beamed at her. "We just found out yesterday."

"Congratulations," Hermione hugged the pink haired woman. "I'm so happy for you both!"

"Thanks," Tonks said. "I'm due in April."

"Congratulations," Harry shook Lupin's hand. "Hopefully the kid won't have your ugly mug," he teased.

Lupin chuckled. "As long as he gets my hair and not Nymphadora's."

"I told you I detest that name," Tonks said hitting him playfully on the arm.

"You didn't mind it the other night," Lupin said mischievously, making Sirius and Harry groan and cover their ears.

"Alright, alright," Tonks said taking Harry's arm. "Let's get to work on the new you. Hermione, we'll be right back."

"Make him look nice," Sirius called out.

"He'll be gorgeous," Tonks promised leading a terrified Harry out of the room.

"I'm thinking he'll come back in here with a mohawk and a few piercings," Sirius said with a grin.

Hermione laughed. "I can't wait."

Lupin pulled a serious face. "We should go over some of the equipment you'll be using to monitor Dolohov."

"All right," Hermione nodded.

Lupin and Sirius both went over the complex equipment that would allow them to record conversations and take pictures. Hermione couldn't help but feel excited as they showed her each gadget.

"Along of course, with your simple eavesdropping spells that you've learned, this will help transmit all the information back to us as well." Lupin told her.

"We're to turn in daily reports to you, right?" Hermione asked.

"That's right," Sirius replied. "And we'll also come once or twice to gather our own information."

"Undercover, of course," Lupin said.

"Of course," Hermione said with a grin.

She went over some more logistics with Lupin and Sirius until Tonks appeared in the doorway. "Is this absolutely necessary?" Hermione could hear Harry asking Tonks in exasperation.

"Yes," Tonks said. "Lady and Gentlemen...I give you...James Montgomery...."

"Not bad," Sirius replied when Harry came in. His black hair was now brown, his eyes the same shade.

Hermione stepped closer to get a better look.

"Go ahead," Harry said folding his arms. "Make your jokes. I can take it."

"It looks good," Hermione replied. "But I liked your... um... you look nice."

Harry smiled. "Yeah?"

She had almost said she preferred his eyes green but had caught herself in time.

"Harry you're already familiar with this equipment," Sirius said motioning toward the gadgets on the table. "I'll pack them up and bring them home with us tonight. Hermione's a quick study."

"Fine," Harry said. "Sounds good to me."

"Come on Hermione," Tonks said. "Your turn."

"Right," Hermione said. "Nothing too drastic, right?"

Tonks smiled. "You're already so pretty, Hermione. I doubt I'll have to do much."

Hermione smiled. "Thanks, Tonks."

Harry watched them go before turning back to Sirius. "What?" he asked when he caught his godfather watching him.

"You couldn't be more obvious if you tried," Sirius said quietly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry lied.

"Mmmhmm," Sirius said.

"Is there anything new here?" Harry asked, inspecting the table.

"There are some new cameras," Sirius said pointing them out.

"Cool," Harry said.

"I know that you and Hermione share a history," Lupin began.

"Here's the lecture," Harry rolled his eyes.

"Listen to me," Lupin said sternly. "What you two do in what little free time you'll have is up to you. But under no circumstances are your personal relations to hinder this investigation. You have two weeks."

"We'll be completely professional, Lupin," Harry said. "You know that."

"Good," Lupin said. "Exactly what I wanted to hear."

Harry helped Sirius pack up the equipment and they were nearly finished when Tonks again appeared in the doorway. "James Montgomery... are you ready to meet your beautiful wife?"

"I've met her before, Tonks," Harry said his back to her.

"Not like this, you haven't," Tonks replied smugly. "I did this thing where I lightened her hair a bit more. Straightened it too. And then I did this light tanning spell. It really brings out the colour in her eyes..."

Harry rolled his eyes and turned around. The woman in front of him was so gorgeous his jaw just dropped.

He nearly dropped the expensive camera in his hands.

"Easy tiger," Sirius said taking it from him. "Pick your jaw up off the floor and tell your wife how pretty she looks."

Hermione bit her lower lip self consciously. "I hope it's not too much," she said uncertainly. Harry had yet to say a word.

"It's just...right," Harry told her when he was finally able to speak. "Perfect."

Hermione blushed. "Thanks..."

"We're done here," Lupin told them. "If you'd both like to get home. We have a big day tomorrow."

"What time do we need to be here?" Hermione asked, glad to look away from Harry's intense gaze.

"There is the time difference," Sirius said.

"They're about five hours behind us," Hermione said.

"So what time should we be here?" Harry asked.

"Be here by noon," Sirius replied. "We can have you there in Cayman by seven thirty then- like you've just flown all night."

"Does Dolohov know anything about us?" Hermione asked.

"He checks the hotel roster for new arrivals," Sirius told them. "He'll send you a personal invitation for drinks- it's his way of weeding through people he thinks will get him somewhere and people who won't. You can expect one tomorrow afternoon."

"And you should definitely get an invite to one of his card games," Lupin said. "But remember, you're on your honeymoon. Decline on the first night so you won't arise suspicion."

"Right," Harry nodded. "We'll be up to other things..."

"We want to make him think we're up to other things," Hermione corrected.

"A mere technicality," Harry replied.

"Good night to you both," Lupin said putting his arm around Tonks.

"I'll see you at home," Sirius said to Harry.

Harry nodded. "Come on Janie...let's get you home."

"All right," Hermione nodded. "Thanks."

"Good night, Hermione," Tonks said.

"Night," Hermione smiled. "I'll see you soon... and congratulations again!"

"I can't believe Remus Lupin is going to be someone's dad," Harry said as they waited for the lift. "Maybe now he'll have someone else to lecture."

"He's not so bad," Hermione answered.

"No, he's not," Harry admitted. "When he's not lecturing me."

Hermione smiled a bit. "You do look nice," she offered.

"You do too," Harry said as the lift finally arrived.

"I was worried it might be too much," Hermione ran her fingers through her hair.

"Nah," Harry said shrugging. "Perfect."

Hermione saw their reflection. "We do look like a married couple."

The lift was panelled with mirrors and Harry turned Hermione around, putting his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. "We do look like a married couple." He repeated.

Hermione sucked in a breath, her body responding to his nearness.

Harry nuzzled her neck. "This is good practise, you know..."

"I know," she said softly.

Harry was about to kiss her when the lift pinged open.

"This is our stop," Hermione said mustering her willpower.

Harry stared at her a moment. "Hermione..."

"What?" she asked looking back at him. It was so strange to see brown eyes staring back at her.

"Nothing," Harry said as a few people came onto the lift.

Hermione pulled her cloak tighter around her and stepped off of the lift. What the hell had just happened?

"Want me to walk you home?" he asked.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm fine on my own. We do have a big day ahead of us and I still need to pack."

"I don't mind," Harry replied.

"You don't have to," Hermione said.

"I'd like to," Harry offered.

"Okay," Hermione relented. The truth was, she still wanted to be around him.

"Great," Harry smiled at her.

"Great," Hermione said forcing a smile.

Harry took her elbow. "We can Apparate over here," he said.

Hermione nodded. "Okay."

It only took a few minutes for him to get her back. "I'll see you tomorrow, Janie." he smiled at her.

"Right," Hermione said smiling back at him. "James." She leaned in and pecked him on the cheek.

"No better than that?" he teased.

"Tomorrow, we'll put on a show," Hermione said. "But not tonight."

"Why not?" Harry pursued.

"Harry---"

He cut her off by pressing his lips to hers.

She hadn't been expecting that and her first instinct was to push him away, but it had been so long and she had missed him so much. She put her arms around him and kissed him back.

His hands slid around her waist, pulling her close. He had wanted this ever since they had been at Hogwarts.

"Harry," Hermione whispered.

"Yeah?" he asked huskily.

"We really shouldn't be doing this," Hermione protested, but the words were weak even to her own ears.

"For the next two weeks we'll have to," he said, nuzzling her neck.

"Right," Hermione said closing her eyes.

Harry looked at her. "Janie..."

Hermione froze. "W-what did you just call me?"

Harry opened his eyes. "I called you Janie- it's your name after tonight."

"Right," Hermione said pulling away.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked.

Hermione didn't tell him that she'd actually thought he'd been kissing her, not practising for the assignment. The moment he'd called her "Janie" she woke up from the dream that they could recapture what they once had. "That's enough practise for tonight, Harry."

"But--" Harry began. "But I wasn't--"

"Good night," Hermione said absently reaching into her bag for her keys.

"Hermione--" Harry spoke up.

Hermione found her keys and with shaking hands tried to open the door.

Harry put his hand over hers. "Don't walk away..."

"I'm not walking away," Hermione lied. "I'm just going to bed."

"Oh," Harry replied. "I guess... I'll um... I'll see you tomorrow?"

Hermione nodded and opened the door. "Good night, Harry."

"Night," he replied reluctantly.

Hermione closed the door behind her and took a deep breath. That was so foolish. How could she be so stupid? She knew what he was and who he was and yet she still let herself get swept away again.

She wished Lavender was home, but since the blonde was still out, Hermione decided to finish her packing. She knew she wouldn't be getting much sleep that night.