Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Wow, thanks you guys for the great response to the first chapter! We really appreciate the feedback and hope you enjoy the second chapter! Thank you again for all the support!

CHAPTER TWO

Ernest Lovegood's death had devastated his only child. For the longest time, they'd only had each other. It had been hard for Luna to come to terms with her loss, but thanks to Ron, she was able to do just that.

With the money her father had left her, she'd not had to take a proper job.

She was a fortune teller- sometimes she worked in Piccadilly Circus other times she took side streets. She often did her magic for free, only accepting gratuities.

Ron was now playing professionally for the Chudley Cannons, living out his boyhood dream. He still couldn't believe he was getting paid to do something he loved so much. He'd finished with his practise early and was going to surprise his girlfriend with lunch.

Luna had done only a half day in the Circus, and was just arriving home when she was surprised by her boyfriend. "What are you doing home?" she asked delightedly.

"Finished early," Ron replied watching with dark eyes as she took off her cloak to reveal her gypsy costume.

"I'll just go change--" she began but Ron caught her before she could leave the kitchen.

"No," Ron whispered. "Not yet..."

Luna giggled as he pressed his lips to her neck. "How could I forget?" she asked teasingly. "You love this dress on me."

"You wear it just to torture me," Ron whispered against her neck.

"How did you know?" Luna closed her eyes.

"Can you tell what I'm thinking right now?" Ron asked her with a glint in his eye.

Luna smiled. "That you like this dress better on the floor?"

Ron nodded and pulled her even closer. "Mmmm..."

"What is it about my fortune teller clothes that you love so much?" Luna asked, her arms winding around his neck.

"The way you look in them," Ron said trailing kisses down her neckline. "Just does something to me."

Luna giggled. "Then..." she thickened her accent. "I do believe you are about to embark on something pleasant, monsieur..."

Ron picked her up and they nearly made it to the bedroom when they heard a knock on the door.

"Ignore it," Ron said setting his girlfriend down on the bed.

"Ignored," Luna said softly.

The knocking continued and Ron groaned. "Okay, you stay here and I'll get rid of whomever that is."

"Hurry back," Luna gave him a kiss.

Ron gave her one last lingering look before stalking off toward the door. He peered through the peephole. "Go away, Hermione We don't want any."

"Ron please let me in," Hermione said impatiently.

Ron threw open the door and glared at her. "What do you want?"

"I need to talk to Luna," Hermione said.

"She's not here," Ron lied. "But I'll tell her you stopped by."

Hermione sighed. "Harry's back."

"What?" Ron asked. "When?"

Hermione shrugged. "Earlier today..."

"He didn't mention anything about coming back---"

"Well he is," Hermione said. "And he's just as smarmy a git as he ever was. But you already know that, I'm sure."

Ron shrugged. "He's one of my best mates, Hermione."

"What's going on?" Luna appeared behind him in the hall, still in her gypsy dress. "Hermione! What a lovely surprise!"

Hermione forced a smile. "Not really. I really needed to talk to you."

"Of course," Luna said graciously.

"But--" Ron began to whine. "Luna...."

"Why don't you go out and grab us a bite to eat?" Luna asked him. "And when you get back, we can have a romantic dinner."

Ron sighed. "Fine..."

Luna gave him a quick kiss. "Thank you, Ronald."

"I'm sorry," Hermione realised she had interrupted something. "I didn't mean to--"

"It's okay," Luna reassured her. "Why don't you get comfortable? I'll just help Ronald with his coat."

"Thanks," Hermione cast an apologetic look at Ron.

Luna followed Ron to the door. "Get something good."

"How's curry sound?" he asked.

"Brilliant," Luna said grinning at him. "Love you."

"Love you," Ron leaned in and kissed her again.

Hermione looked wistfully at the two of them. She wondered if someday she'd have something like that.

"So what's this I heard?" Luna asked. "Harry's back?"

Hermione nodded. "I can't give you details, but he's back for a case. The very same case that I was assigned to, Luna."

"What are you going to do?" Luna asked. "You'll still do it right? This is huge for you, Hermione."

Hermione put her head in his hands. "I have no choice. I have to do it, but ...this case...it's going to put Harry and me in really close quarters and I don't know if I can put up with him for that long without wanting to strangle him."

Luna patted her friend's hand. "But if I know you, you'll do it and you'll be the best. That's how you work Hermione."

"I wish I could have your faith," Hermione said quietly. "I thought I'd put him behind me and now---"

"If my opinion means anything here, I think you doing this will prove to everyone just what a strong Auror you are," Luna said.

Hermione smiled gratefully at her friend. "Your opinion means quite a bit to me, actually. Thank you, Luna."

"You're welcome," Luna smiled at her. "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, thank you. I know you and Ron were going to have a romantic dinner."

Luna's smile turned dreamy. "Oh yes... he's so sweet to come and surprise me. He wasn't due home until much later."

"I'm so happy for you both," Hermione said.

"Thanks," Luna said. "How's Lavender?"

"She's doing well," Hermione replied. "She's going to be on Witch Weekly's cover next week."

"How lovely," Luna said. "I'm very happy for her!"

"She's really excited," Hermione said.

The two women were quiet for several moments. "I really think you'll do fine," Luna said. "But if you need to talk about anything, you know I'm here."

"Thanks," Hermione said giving her friend a hug. "Um, not that I believe in it, or anything, but could you give me a reading?"

Luna's pale blue eyes sparkled. "I'd love to!"

Hermione smiled. Luna was always trying to give them readings, but she'd always begged off because she didn't believe that someone could predict the future. Her ideas were probably clouded by that crazy hag Trelawney. But, it couldn't hurt to have Luna give her a reading and maybe it would take her mind off of that wanker.

"I'll read your palm," Luna said, taking Hermione's hand and turning it up.

"Okay," Hermione looked at the blonde expectantly.

Luna traced her finger along Hermione's palm. For the longest time, she didn't say a word.

"Does this mean my future is cloudy?" Hermione asked.

Luna gave a slight nod. "But your love line, it's quite long, you see?"

"And that's a good thing?" Hermione asked.

"It could be," Luna looked up at her. "Depends on the path you take yourself down."

"It doesn't matter anyway," Hermione said dismissively. "I'm too busy for love."

"If you say so," Luna released her hand.

"How much do I owe you?" Hermione asked.

"Not a thing," Luna answered.

"Thanks," Hermione said standing up. "I should get home."

"Good luck on your assignment," Luna said. "And don't let Harry get to you, Hermione."

Hermione nodded. "Thanks again, Luna."

She Flooed back to her flat and kicked off her trainers. What she needed was a nice, long bath. She'd just changed into her robe when she heard a knock at the door.

"Lavender forgot her bloody keys again," she grumbled, sliding her robe back over her shoulders.

She turned off the water before heading to the door. "Lav, how many times have I---" Hermione's words trailed off as she opened the door. She moved to close it again but Harry held out his hand to stop her.

"Hello, honey, I'm home!" he exclaimed with a smart ass grin.

"Get out," Hermione snapped.

"Is the honeymoon over already?" Harry asked moving past her and stepping into the flat.

"You aren't welcome here," Hermione said. "I told you I'd come by tomorrow morning."

"I was talking with Lupin and he said we should get started straightaway," Harry said. "We have to be convincing Hermione."

Hermione bit back a sarcastic retort. "Fine. I'll be out in a minute."

Harry nodded. "I'll just be here making myself comfortable, Honey Bun."

"Bugger off," Hermione said. "And don't call me stupid pet names."

Harry grinned and watched her go down the hall. She still had a great set of legs. He walked over to the mantle and looked at the pictures. There was Hermione standing between an older couple on what looked to be her graduation day from Hogwarts.

"Are these your parents?" he called out.

"Yes," Hermione called back. She stood in front of her closet trying to find an outfit. She didn't want to look as if she cared what he thought about her appearance. But, she didn't want to look like a slob either.

"They're dentists, right?" Harry called out.

"Right," Hermione answered. "Why do you care?"

"Just making conversation," he answered.

Hermione finally settled on some jeans and one of Lavender's jumpers.

"You look like your mum," Harry told her when she came back into the room.

Hermione frowned at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It was a compliment, Granger," Harry told her. "Ease up."

Hermione's stance relaxed. "Sorry. You just had a tone."

Harry held up the frame. "Your dad looks kind of scary."

"He is not!" Hermione said.

Harry set the frame down. "Sorry that I said anything."

Hermione dug into her bag and retrieved her file and a quill. "Let's get to work."

Harry set down on the sofa. "Where do you want to start?"

"I suppose our back story," Hermione said, a bit reluctantly.

"Let's start with the basics, Janie," Harry said. "Where did we meet?"

"Probably school," Hermione answered. "We should say, we met our last year, dated for three, and then recently married."

"I thought the file said we were childhood sweethearts," Harry reminded her.

"School is a part of childhood," Hermione returned. "Fine, make it so we met our first year of school and dated from then on."

"Was it love at first sight?" Harry asked batting his eyelashes at her.

"Hardly," Hermione smirked.

Harry looked thoughtfully at her. "What if...what if we didn't have the best start, but we gradually became friends and then one day, I suddenly realised what a beautiful, sweet girl you were."

Hermione stared at him without replying.

"That work for you?" Harry asked her.

"Um... yeah." she answered her face flushing as she scribbled something down on her notes.

"And what kind of bloke do you think James Montgomery is?" Harry asked her.

"I guess... he's the type of bloke who would treat Janie as if she were the only woman on earth," Hermione said quietly.

Harry smiled. "Yeah."

Hermione swallowed and nodded, also writing that down. "Let's say we got married... in a small church in Brighton, with only our families and close friends present."

"Sounds good," Harry said nodding.

"What else?" she asked after writing some more notes down on her sheet.

"We can't keep our hands off of each other," Harry said mischievously.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "No one needs to know that."

"At one time it was true," Harry reminded her.

"We don't need to go there," Hermione said abruptly.

"Right," Harry said. "So, um...what sort of job do you think I should have?"

"I don't know," Hermione answered. "That's up to you. I think I'm going to be a teacher."

"You'd have been a great teacher," Harry told her.

"Thanks..." Hermione looked at him doubtfully.

It was a bit bizarre to be sitting here with her after all this time and the attraction was still there for him, but he wasn't going to take himself down that same road again.

Hermione looked over at him as he leaned back in the chair, his legs stuck out in front of him. His body was just as she remembered it- she so clearly remembered those days in class when he'd kip, leaning back on two chair legs.

"I need to somehow get into their circle so perhaps I should come from money," Harry said thoughtfully. "I could be about to start law school or something like that."

"That's a good idea," Hermione nodded.

"Like Draco Malfoy without the snarkiness and the stick up my arse," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione had to smile. "That sounds exactly right."

Harry smiled back at her. "This assignment could really make your career."

"I hope so," Hermione said fervently. "It's what I've wanted to do since I first learned about the magical world."

Harry nodded in understanding. "Me, too. I've never wanted to be anything else."

Hermione nodded slowly. "Um... what else?"

"I can't think of anything else," Harry replied.

"Lupin mentioned something about changing our appearances," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "I get to say goodbye to my scar and my specs."

Hermione nodded. "Lupin said I probably didn't need to worry too much about how I look..."

"You shouldn't have to change much," Harry said looking at her. "I mean you're beau---fine like you are."

Hermione flushed again. "Okay..."

Harry again leaned back in his chair. "No matter what happened between us, we need to put that aside and me this work."

She knew he was right. "Fine," she nodded. "Agreed."

"I think we've done enough for tonight," Harry said. "We can meet tomorrow morning and go over the details of the case."

"Still at seven?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Sirius' promised he'd cook for you."

Hermione smiled a bit. "How is he?"

"Mad," Harry replied fondly. "He likes being back here. I've been pretty much on my own in Canada. He only stayed that first year."

Hermione nodded. "I see."

"But I really like it there," Harry continued. "Which is one of the many reasons I stayed."

"I'm happy for you," Hermione said in a neutral voice.

Harry looked at her in surprise. "Are you?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Hermione shrugged.

Harry shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "I just thought after how...well, after we ended things..."

"Let's not bring that up," Hermione said quickly. "Not if we're to work together again."

"Right," Harry agreed. "So, um...Lupin said he wasn't sure how long we'd be in the Caymans. I'm sure your boyfriend's going to hate being away from you."

Hermione shook her head. "I'm not dating anyone. So it's fine."

"You're not?" Harry asked trying to sound unaffected by this news. "I saw Seamus earlier today and he mentioned something about a bloke named Michael or something..."

Hermione raised her eyebrow. "How would Seamus know about me and Michael?"

"I don't know," Harry said absently kicking the coffee table leg. "So, you and this Michael..."

"Harry I really fail to see how my personal life is any of your business," Hermione said coolly.

"I was just making small talk," Harry said defensively.

"We don't really have time for that," Hermione wanted to put as much emotional distance between them as she could.

Harry nodded. "I guess I should go and let you get back to what you were doing before. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Fine," Hermione answered.

Harry extended his hand. "Partners?"

Hermione paused a moment before shaking his hand. "Partners," she agreed.

"Good night," Harry said before grabbing his cloak and walking out of her flat.

Hermione sat down with a sigh. Part of her was jumping at this assignment but the other half hoped she'd be able to control herself around Harry. Just seeing him again brought back some emotions that she hadn't let herself feel in three years.

The idea of being alone with him in a romantic setting pretending to be a couple seemed to be an invitation for disaster.

Meanwhile, Harry arrived quickly at Grimmauld Place. "Hey," he greeted Sirius. "How's it going old man?"

Sirius smirked. "Fine, and how goes married life? Where's your old ball and chain?"

"Sod off," Harry tossed his cloak onto a chair.

"How's she doing, seriously?" Sirius asked.

"Hermione's fine," Harry replied. "You'll see her tomorrow morning."

"And how was it seeing her again?" Sirius asked following his godson into the kitchen.

"Fine," Harry replied.

Sirius chuckled. "Mmmhmm."

"Don't get all smarmy on me," Harry looked into the icebox for something to eat.

"It's hard to forget your first love," Sirius said. "And not too many people get a second chance."

"I don't want a second chance," Harry said a bit too quickly.

Sirius leaned against the counter. "Right."

"Sirius!" Harry shot him a dirty look. "I didn't ask to work with her again, okay?"

Sirius held up his hands. "Okay...how about we change the subject? You had three owls earlier. One from Kimmy, another from Becca and another named...Coco?"

Harry grinned. "Knew she wouldn't forget me."

"Who are these girls?" Sirius asked him.

"From Vancouver," Harry answered. "They were quite upset I was leaving."

Sirius shook his head. "One of them was completely doused in perfume. I nearly choked to death."

"That would be Becca," Harry said. "You should see how hot she is."

"No wonder you wanted to stay in Vancouver," Sirius mused.

"I like it better," Harry said, finding a beer stuck all the way in the back.

"The Canadian Minister was singing your praises to Remus the other night," Sirius told him.

Harry grinned. "I heard..."

"Remus also heard of your exploits, as it were," Sirius said.

Harry shrugged. "What's wrong with having fun?"

"That's what I told Moony," Sirius said. "But you know how he is."

"I didn't think he'd care as long as it doesn't interfere with my work," Harry replied, pulling back on his bottle.

"Again, that's what I said," Sirius told him. "But Moony's a born worrier, Harry."

"Yeah well..." Harry shrugged. "I guess it's not that big a deal if he wanted me here for this assignment."

"Exactly," Sirius said.

Harry stretched as he finished his beer. "What's new with you?" he asked his godfather. "You don't look too old yet."

"Well, this old man has a date tonight," Sirius told him.

"Is she blind?" Harry cracked.

"No, she's not bloody blind," Sirius retorted. "She's Rosmerta. And she and I have been seeing each other exclusively since I've been back."

"Rosmerta?" Harry asked.

"You remember the proprietor of The Three Broomsticks, right?" Sirius asked.

"Vaguely," Harry replied.

"Well, you'll get to know her better since she's going to be around here more often," Sirius said. "I was thinking of asking her to move in with me."

Harry gaped at him. "You, the life long bachelor?"

"Sooner or later, we all have to settle down," Sirius said.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Not all of us."

Sirius didn't say anything. He, too, had once felt that way. "I better get ready," Sirius said. "I have to pick her up soon."

"Have fun," Harry said. "By the way, Hermione's coming over at seven tomorrow morning to go over case notes."

"I remember," Sirius said. "I promised to make breakfast."

"Already looking forward to it," Harry replied. "Have fun old man."

"Older and wiser," Sirius said shooting his godson an obscene gesture with his hand before leaving the room.

Harry shook his head before heading upstairs to his old bedroom. It was the same as he'd left it three years before.

He saw the three envelopes on his old desk and smiled. Sirius was right. Becca had used way too much perfume on hers.

It smelled quite good, however, and Harry took a long whiff before opening the letters and reading through them.

He had no plans to respond to either of the letters, but it was nice to read them just the same. He hadn't had a serious girlfriend since Hermione and he didn't plan on it, either.

He changed into something more comfortable, then for some reason found himself wandering across the hall to the room Hermione had stayed in the one night she'd spent here.

He remembered how it felt to be with her that night; to hold her in his arms.

That had been the first night they were together- Harry remembered vividly how it had felt to bury himself inside her, and then kiss her as they moved under the sheets.

That was over though, he reminded himself. But, that didn't mean he couldn't have ...no... this was an assignment. There would be no fun. Besides, Hermione hated him.

But... he remembered when they were plotting out their back story. She had looked at him for a few moments with a softer look in her eyes that made him foolishly think all might not be lost.

*** *** ***

It was nearly two in the morning and Cho was contemplating going home to her empty flat or just catching some shut-eye in the on-call room. She'd be on in a few hours anyway and it would probably be a waste of time to just go back home.

She let her out of its ponytail and walked into the on-call room and was surprised to see Neville Longbottom was still there. His shift was over hours ago.

"Trying to get extra points with the residents, eh?" Cho asked tapping him on the shoulder.

Neville jumped. "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry," she apologised sitting down at the small table. "What are you working on anyway?"

Neville was quiet for a moment. "Remember when I told you about my parents?"

Cho nodded. "Yeah."

"I'm trying to see if I can find a cure for their condition," Neville said. "I know it might be hopeless... but I have to try."

Cho smiled encouragingly at him. "I think that's wonderful, Neville."

Neville rubbed his eyes. "There's got to be something out there."

"You don't talk about them all that often," Cho said softly.

"I don't really know anything about them," Neville leaned back in his chair. "I was a baby when they were... when they came here and my Gran doesn't like speaking about it. We'd come to visit them and that was about it. I try to go up there at least three or four times a week now that I'm here."

Cho looked quizzically at him when he pulled some bubble gum wrappers from his pocket. "What are those?"

"Mum gives them to me every time I go up there," Neville said. "I've got quite the collection now."

Cho smiled at him. He didn't throw them away. If she thought it wasn't possible to be any more in love with him than she already was, she was mistaken. Instinctively, she reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze. "She might not recognise you, but by giving you those, it means she likes you and wants you to keep coming back."

Neville smiled at her. "You know, I bet my mum would like you."

Cho blushed. "You think?"

He nodded. "You should come up there with me sometime."

"I'd like that," Cho said smiling at him. "And if you'd like some help with your research, I'd be more than willing to help."

"Thanks," Neville looked at his notes. "I'll let you know if I get stuck."

Cho wanted to ask him something else, but she wasn't so sure how to go about it. "Um, I noticed that Ginny Weasley was here again today..."

"She doesn't know how to take no for an answer," Neville rolled his eyes.

"You know I heard that Draco Malfoy got married last month," Cho said. "That might have something to do with her renewed interest..."

"Malfoy got married?" Neville raised an eyebrow. "Who'd have thought?"

"I hear it had something to do with marrying into a family for money," Cho said thoughtfully. "The Malfoys are down on their luck since Lucius' arrest."

"I'm sure you can feel my sympathy for them," Neville replied dryly. "Draco Malfoy was nothing but an arse to me while I was in school. I don't care what he's done since then."

"And Ginny Weasley should have known what a good thing she had instead of snogging him behind your back," Cho said loyally.

Neville shrugged. "Her loss..."

"Exactly," Cho said softly. "Um, so...you know, we've known each for quite some time..."

He smiled at her. "You've become a good friend to me since I came here."

"I feel the same way," Cho said softly. "And I was thinking that maybe---"

"Would you guys mind keeping it down?" one of the other interns called out grumpily from a bed in the back. "I'm trying to get some sleep."

"Oh," Cho said apologetically. "I'm sorry, Murphy."

Neville rolled his eyes. "I should be getting back to my research."

Cho nodded. "I was going to try and get some sleep, too."

"Want me to wake you up in a few hours?" he asked.

"That'd be great," Cho said settling down on one of the beds. "Thanks, Nev."

"Sure," he said. "Get some rest."

Cho nodded and pulled a blanket over herself. She was so close to asking him out, but thanks to Murphy she'd missed her opportunity.

Neville grabbed a few files from the desk and headed down to the archives. He was crossing the lobby when he heard a familiar and unwelcome voice.

"I need to see Neville Longbottom immediately!" Ginny Weasley was saying. "I'm very, very ill!"

"This is a new low," he muttered.

Ginny spotted him and waved at him. "Neville!"

"Miss Weasley," he said coolly. "What's the problem this time?"

Ginny reached for him. "I'm dizzy. And I have chills..."

"You're lying," he said flatly.

"I'm not," Ginny said seriously. "Please. Take a look at me. That's all I ask."

Shaking his head, Neville led her to an examination room. "If you're not really sick, I'm going to consider having you barred from coming in here anymore."

Ginny nodded. "It's really good of you to see on such short notice, Neville."

"Onto the table," Neville waved his hand in the direction of it.

Ginny sat on the table and smiled at him. "You're such a great Healer, Neville."

He didn't reply. "You said you had the chills?"

"Yes," Ginny nodded biting her bottom lip.

"What else?" he asked.

"I felt dizzy earlier," Ginny told him.

Neville made a note on the chart he'd grabbed from the desk. "No fever, no nausea?"

"My mum said I was running a fever earlier," Ginny replied.

"Lie back on the table," Neville said, turning to the cabinet in the corner.

Ginny did as he asked and looked over at him. "You got your hair cut. It looks really nice."

"Yeah," Neville said in a neutral tone. "Drink this."

"What is it?" Ginny asked.

"It'll tell me what's wrong with you," Neville said. "Drink it."

"O-kay," Ginny said sitting up a little so she could drink the potion.

Neville figured that for once, she was telling the truth. She wouldn't drink the potion otherwise. "Just lie back for a moment," he said.

Ginny nodded. "How long will it take?"

"A minute or two," Neville was writing on the chart.

Earlier that day, she'd come down with something. Her mother, who was a known worrier, told her to go back to St. Mungo's. She knew Neville doubted her sincerity, but she was going to do anything she could to get him to trust her again. And this time, she wasn't faking. She really did feel horrible.

"Hm," Neville said. "You've got the flu."

Ginny winced. "Really?"

Neville looked into another cabinet. "You'll need to take this, twice a day, for the next week," he said, pouring some potion into a bottle.

Ginny sat up and felt a little woozy as she did so.

"Easy," he said.

Ginny nodded. "It hit me all of a sudden, really."

"You'll just need to rest for the next week," Neville advised. "And take that potion. You'll be good as new."

"Thanks," Ginny said. "Um, Neville? I hate to do this, but do you think you could see me home? "

"I'm not supposed to leave the hospital," Neville said.

"Just for a few minutes," Ginny pleaded.

Neville relented. "I'll get you home, but that's it."

"That's all I ask," Ginny said gratefully.

Neville notified the front desk where he'd be going and he escorted Ginny back to the office where he and Cho usually worked. "There's a Floo set up in here," he said.

"This is really nice," Ginny said feeling a little light-headed. She held onto Neville for support.

Neville tossed some powder into the fireplace and Ginny called out the name of her home.

A few moments later, he and Ginny arrived in the sitting room of the Burrow.

"Ginevra, is that you!" Molly called out.

"Yes Mum," Ginny called out. "Neville brought me back."

Molly hurried into the sitting room. "Oh my sweetheart! Neville, what's wrong with my little girl?"

"She's just got the flu," Neville replied as Ginny sank onto the sofa. "She's got to take her potion twice a day and get plenty of rest."

Molly gasped. "I'll make sure she does. Ginevra...you stay put. I'm going to go and fetch a blanket and some pillows."

Neville couldn't help sharing a smile with Ginny when Molly left the room. "She's still a worrier."

"Especially when it comes to me," Ginny said softly.

Neville nodded. "Well... I should go. I have work to do."

Molly hurried back into the room with a blanket and some pillows. "Neville, you have to stay for a cup of tea and a scone. I just made a fresh batch."

"Oh... I appreciate it, Mrs. Weasley, but I was heading to do some important research when I saw Ginny." Neville shifted uncomfortably.

Molly shook her head. "It will just take a few minutes. You have to stay for just a bit. It's been ages since I've seen you."

"Well I guess a minute or two couldn't hurt," Neville said, thrusting his hands in his pockets.

Molly beamed at him. "I'll be right back." She handed Neville the blanket. "Just help Ginevra get settled."

Ginny sighed. "I'm sorry, Neville. I thought she would have been asleep by the time we got back. It's so late anyway."

"It's all right," he said. "Here..."

Ginny helped him with the blanket. "Thanks, Neville."

"Sure," he replied. "You comfortable?"

Ginny nodded. "Snug as a bug in a rug..."

Neville sat back in a chair, feeling awkward. He had absolutely no idea what to say to her.

"The last time I had the flu was my fourth year," Ginny remembered. "You visited me every day that I was in the hospital wing."

"Yeah," Neville said. "I remember that."

Ginny smiled at him as her mother came back into the room with a tray of tea and scones.

"Thanks," Neville said as Molly handed him a cup of tea.

Molly handed Ginny a cup, too. "It will help you sleep, sweetheart."

"Thanks Mum," Ginny settled back against the pillows.

Molly smiled at Neville. "So, how are things at St. Mungo's?"

"Fine, thank you." Neville said politely.

"Your parents would be so proud," Molly said.

"I hope so," Neville replied.

Ginny studied Neville over her cup of tea. He was so handsome and his eyes were warm and inviting. She wanted to be with him so much.

"Cho Chang is my resident," Neville said. "She's been great to work under."

"She's a lovely young woman," Molly remembered. "Very pretty, too."

Neville thought about the black haired woman. "Yeah she is..." he said absently.

Ginny set her cup aside. She was feeling very sleepy.

Molly noticed this. "I'll get Ginevra up to bed," she told him. "Thank you so much, Neville."

"I'll help," Neville said getting to his feet.

Ginny managed a tired smile. "You're still as sweet as you always were," she murmured.

"That's me," Neville said picking her up. "Sweet, naive Neville."

Ginny patted his chest. "Sweet, loveable Neville."

Neville avoided her eyes as he followed Molly upstairs.

Molly opened Ginny's bedroom door and Neville carried Ginny inside. He set her down on the bed.

"Thanks..." Ginny said. "Thank you so much Neville..."

"Get better soon," Neville said softly.

"I will," Ginny said. "I'll come by to see you."

Neville nodded. "Just get your rest and take the potion. You'll be fine."

After bidding a goodbye to Molly, Neville went back to St. Mungos with a package of scones. He left them on his desk and went to wake up Cho.

The on-call room was completely dark and Neville knelt down beside the bed. He gently shook her. "Cho?"

"Hmm?" Cho mumbled.

"Time to get up," Neville whispered.

"Didn't I just fall asleep?" Cho sat up.

Neville chuckled. "I'm sure it seems that way. But we have rounds in about twenty minutes."

"I should go freshen up," Cho said as he helped her off the bed. "Wait for me?"

"Yeah," Neville replied. "Of course."

Cho groaned when she saw how awful she looked. "I always wake up looking like such a mess..." she told herself, running some cold water and splashing it on her face, then fixed her hair.

She usually wasn't like this with blokes. If she liked someone, she usually told them and saw where it went. But, Neville was different. And he didn't seem to realise her feelings for him. She couldn't understand how he didn't. She thought her feelings were written all over her face when she looked at him.

She was startled from her thoughts when he knocked on the door. "I'm coming!" she called, her voice a bit high pitched.

"The chief just came in," Neville told her. "Rounds are moved up. You ready?"

"Mmmhmm..." Cho nodded. "Wish I had time to grab something to eat. I'll have to wait until afterwards."

Neville handed her two biscuits. "I had them from earlier. Here you go."

"You're a lifesaver," Cho said, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Neville blushed. "We should go."

"Of course," Cho said, feeling stupid for her bold move.

Neville followed her out of the room and wondered if he would ever find someone to love him back the way he'd loved Ginny. Was he really ready to put himself back out there like that?