Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thank you guys for the response to the last chapter! This is the latest instalment which gives you a little bit of everyone…and some nice fluffy moments for H/Hr.

"It's not for Janie," Harry whispered in her ear. "It's for you..."

Hermione stared at him for a few moments. She was speechless.

"Mrs. Montgomery?" the host asked holding out her chair.

"Thank you," Hermione said, a bit dazedly.

Harry slipped the host some money and whispered something to the man.

"What's that about?" Hermione asked when they were alone.

"He helped me get all this," Harry gestured to the setup. "Do you like it?"

"It's okay," Hermione lied. It wasn't just okay. It was absolutely the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for her. But, she was still angry at him.

"Oh," Harry visibly deflated a bit. "Okay..."

The waiter brought over a bottle of champagne and poured them both a glass.

"For the newlyweds," he said smiling at Hermione.

She forced a gracious smile. "Thank you very much."

"Nothing but the best for the love of my life," Harry said winking at Hermione.

The waiter smiled and set the bottle in a bucket of ice at the side of the table.

"Where is Mr. Dolohov?" Hermione asked the waiter. "I wanted to thank him for the hospitality he's shown us."

"Mr. Dolohov doesn't arrive at the dining room until around eight," the waiter told her.

Hermione looked at her watch. "It's only half past seven," she told Harry.

"We have time for just us," Harry said picking up his glass.

Again, Hermione forced herself to smile. "Right."

"You still mad?" he asked her.

"I don't know what I am right now," Hermione answered.

"I can't change what I did," he said quietly.

She sighed. "I don't think we should talk about it now."

"Talk to me," he said leaning forward.

"Not if we want to keep up this pretence of being happy," she said quietly.

"Right," Harry said through clenched teeth. "I'm really trying here, Janie."

"James and Janie are on their honeymoon," Hermione replied. "We don't have any problems right now."

They stared at each other for a few moments without speaking. Thankfully, the waiter came back over with their appetizers.

"Thank you," Hermione said as the waiter set a dish in front of her. "Did you order for us before we came?" she asked Harry.

"Yes," he replied. "I asked them to prepare this especially for you."

The appetizer was an island style jerk chicken dish, which tasted absolutely delicious. "It was a good idea," she said, softening a bit.

"You just complimented me," Harry said with a grin.

"Maybe," Hermione replied.

"You don't do it that often so I could be mistaken," Harry joked.

She let out a tiny smile.

"And look at there---you smiled at me," Harry said dramatically.

"Enough," Hermione said, sitting up straighter. "Dolohov just walked in."

"He's early," Harry said looking over his shoulder. He was walking into the dining room with a tall blonde.

"I wonder what he wrote about her in his files," Hermione muttered.

"There's no telling," Harry commented. "He's coming over."

"Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery," Dolohov greeted them. "Delighted to see you joined us this evening."

"Today's Janie's birthday," Harry improvised. "I wanted to have a romantic dinner for her. Right, sweetheart?"

"Right," Hermione beamed back at him. "I couldn't have been more surprised."

"Happy Birthday," Dolohov said leering at her. He suddenly remembered that he wasn't alone. He put his arm around his tall, blonde girlfriend. "This is Monique Montclair. My better half."

"Lovely to meet you," Harry stood up to shake her hand.

"The pleasure is mine," she said flirtatiously.

"Your dining room is just as beautiful as the rest of the resort," Hermione said to Dolohov, who seemed to think her eyes were in her chest. "And your chef is quite remarkable."

"Thank you," Dolohov said winking at her. "You do look beautiful tonight, Mrs. Montgomery."

Hermione forced a smile. "Thank you," she said demurely.

"I hope you'll join us for an after dinner drink," Dolohov said to Harry.

"Perhaps," Harry nodded.

"Antonin, let's go get a table," Monique purred. "It's obvious they want to be alone."

"Of course my pet," Dolohov replied. "Enjoy your dinner, Montgomerys."

Hermione forced a smile. "You too. It was lovely to meet you, Monique."

"You as well," the blonde sent her a half smile, half smirk before following Dolohov.

"If he'd kept looking at you like that, I was going to knock him out," Harry said angrily.

"Shhh," Hermione motioned for him to keep his voice down. "I know..."

"Sorry," Harry apologised.

"It's okay," Hermione said. She found herself pleased that Harry was obviously jealous.

Harry reached for her hand and placed a kiss on it. "Dolohov was looking."

"I know," Hermione suppressed a shudder.

"I'm going to have Sirius run Monique's name through the registers and see if he can come up with anything," Harry said.

"Good idea," Hermione said in a quiet voice, not wanting Dolohov to pick up on their conversation as he was moving to another table close to them.

"Would you care to dance?" Harry asked her. "We still have some time before our dinner arrives..."

"I'd love to," Hermione said, accepting his hand. She was fully aware of their suspect watching them get up and leave their table.

"Just so you know, I'm still crap at this," Harry warned her.

"It'll be all right," Hermione said. "Long as we put on a good show."

Harry smiled at her. "So I get to hold you close and whisper in your ear?"

"For the sake of the assignment," Hermione replied.

"Of course," Harry said leading her to the middle of the dance floor.

Hermione leaned against him as he slid his arm around her waist, pulling her close.

"Now that I've got you here," he said into her ear. "There's something I want to say to you."

Hermione didn't respond.

"I don't like you being mad at me," he whispered. "I deserve it, I know, but I wish you'd just let me explain."

"I don't want to get into this now," Hermione replied.

"What are you afraid of hearing?" he asked her, not letting go.

She closed her eyes, unable to even figure out her own feelings. She had no right to be jealous of Harry's paramours. She had been the one to break them up at Hogwarts.

"I was stupid," Harry said softly. "I never should have left the way I did. But you told me it was over. What else could I have done?"

"Ha-- James..." Hermione looked up at him. "Please..."

"Let me say this," he said looking down at her. "Please."

His expression was so earnest she couldn't say no. "All right," she agreed.

"When I arrived in Vancouver, I was a mess," Harry said. "I didn't want to go out. I didn't want to be around anyone. Sirius didn't even want to be around me."

"Really..." she said, a bit doubtfully.

"You can ask him," Harry said. "He told me to get my act together or he was going to disown me. So, I started going out and some things happened that I'm not proud of. It wasn't like I was cheating on you, Hermione. We were broken up."

"I know that," she said quietly.

Harry caught sight of Dolohov and his girlfriend sitting at their table in the back of the room. Harry pulled Hermione close. "But not a day went by that I didn't think of you and wonder what you were doing and if you were thinking about me."

"I did think about you sometimes," she admitted.

Harry looked down at her. "I-I still..."

"What?" she asked.

"I still love you," Harry whispered. "I never stopped, actually."

Hermione literally felt her heart stop beating for a moment. She looked back up at him, opening her mouth to speak but nothing came out.

He took her silence as disbelief. "I'm not saying this as part of an act. This is me talking. The real me talking to the real you. I'm not saying it because I think it's what you want to hear or because I'm trying to get you back into bed. I just ...I'm tired of lying about how I feel about you."

Hermione shook her head as she tried to stave off her tears. "I believe you..." she said softly.

He smiled down at her. "You do?"

She nodded. "I still love you too," she whispered.

That was all he needed to hear and he kissed her softly.

She put her arms around his neck and kissed him back, feeling happier than she had in a long while.

Harry lifted her up off the ground and spun her around, momentarily forgetting why they were here. Right now, he could care less.

She laughed. "None of that matters, right? From before?"

"Nothing," Harry said before kissing her again.

Hermione felt her entire body heat up from the passion in their kiss. "Let's hurry up and eat," she murmured in his ear.

"You're sure?" he asked her. "I really didn't say what I did because---"

"I know that," she said, touching his cheek.

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too," Hermione pressed her lips to his again.

"Come on," he said leading her back over to the table.

Dinner had been served and was waiting for them at their places. "What did you order?" she asked as he pulled out her seat for her.

"Take a look," Harry said winking at her.

Hermione uncovered the plate. "Is this fish?" she asked.

"Grilled fish with lime sauce," Harry told her.

She took an experimental bite. "This is absolutely delicious."

Harry grinned. "I'm glad you like it."

Hermione opened her mouth to respond when she saw Dolohov's assistant- the one who had brought them to the island- approach the owner. "James," she motioned with her head.

Harry didn't want to turn around for fear of drawing attention. "Let me know what he's doing...."

"They're talking," Hermione said. "But I can't hear what they're saying..."

Dolohov was trying very hard to keep his temper in check. "I gave you one assignment and you can't even see that through?"

"I am sorry sir," Gradwell replied.

Dolohov only shook his head in disgust. "I want to know everything about the Montgomerys," he snapped.

"Sir, if you just give me another chance, I'll find out what it is," Gradwell promised. "I'll see if any of our contacts in London recognise the names."

"Fine," Dolohov said curtly.

"I'm sure they're harmless," Monique said with a bored sigh.

"We should get back, now," Harry said urgently.

"No," Hermione shook her head. "How suspicious would that look?"

"You're right," Harry said. "We'll need to let Sirius and Remus know about this though."

Hermione nodded. "We'll talk to them when we get back."

Dolohov chose that moment to look over at them and Hermione quickly took a bite of her fish and held out the fork to her "husband". "You've got to try this, James."

"Thanks baby," Harry leaned in.

Hermione fed him the bite and gazed adoringly at him.

"Tastes almost as good as you," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione blushed. "It's been a long time, you know," she said lowering her voice.

"Too long," he answered softly.

"I never thought we'd find our way back," Hermione whispered.

"We aren't going to lose this again," Harry reached for her hand.

Hermione gave his hand a squeeze. "No more secrets. No more being that noble bloke who thinks he's protecting me by pushing me away."

Harry laughed. "Let's hurry up and have dessert so we can get back."

Hermione nodded. "What is for dessert, Mr. Montgomery?"

Harry motioned for the tray to be brought over. "You pick."

Hermione grinned. "Everything looks good. I don't think I can pick just one."

"We can work it off later," Harry said mischievously.

"In that case," Hermione said. "I think I'll have a piece of the cheesecake and some of those chocolate covered strawberries."

"Make that two," Harry said.

Hermione looked at the waiter. "Actually, would it be possible for this and the champagne to be sent back to our cottage? We really want to get back..."

"Of course Mrs. Montgomery," the waiter said.

Harry grinned and stood up, offering Hermione his hand. "I do like the way you think, Janie."

Hermione smiled as he helped her up. She slid her arms around him and whispered in his ear. "He's still watching."

"Well," Harry said. "Let's give him something to really watch." With that, he kissed her quite passionately.

Hermione squealed in surprise and put her arms around his neck, knowing they were putting on quite a spectacular show.

Monique nudged Dolohov. "See? Completely harmless."

"Hm," Dolohov replied, his eyes on the kissing couple. "Perhaps you are right."

"I'm always right," Monique purred.

The waiter came back with a container and a cloth bag for the champagne. "Thank you very much," he said when Harry handed him a generous tip.

Hermione beamed at Harry. "Ready?"

"More than you know," Harry said, taking the bag in one hand and gripping her fingers in the other.

Hermione felt a pang of apprehension. The only other bloke she'd been with since Harry had been Michael. From what Harry had told her and what she'd heard in the papers, Harry had definitely more experience. What if she wasn't as good as those other women?

However, when he turned and smiled at her, all those doubts erased from her mind. He loved her- he had admitted that and she believed him.

"You couldn't ask for a prettier night," Hermione said when they stepped outside.

"Or a prettier wife," Harry remarked.

Hermione smiled at him. "I love you."

"Love you," Harry leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

Hermione felt like floating back to their cottage and she knew she had a goofy grin on her face, but she couldn't help it. She hadn't been this happy or this whole in such a long time.

"Let's tell Remus and Sirius about what we overheard so we can get to the important things after that," Harry said with a licentious grin.

"Right," Hermione said grinning back at him. She used the key card and opened the door. Reaching into her bag for her mobile phone, she quickly dialled the number and put the phone in speaker mode so Harry could hear too.

Harry waited for his godfather to pick up; he linked his fingers with Hermione's and smiled at her.

"Hello?" Sirius' voice came over the line.

"Hey, Old Man," Harry said. "Is Remus with you, by any chance?"

"No," Sirius answered. "But I can have him here in a moment. Why, what's happened?"

"Get him," Harry said. "We'd rather not go over this twice."

A few moments later, Sirius had Remus there. "What's going on?" Remus asked. "I assume something new has developed?"

"Possibly, but I think we were able to deflect any suspicion," Harry said before telling the two older men about what had transpired in the dining room and what they'd overheard. "The wards I used were good enough that he wasn't able to---"

The other end of the line was silent.

"Remus? Sirius?"

"Dolohov's become suspicious of you?" Remus finally asked.

"Just a little," Harry admitted. "But like I said---"

"Are you two arguing?" Remus interjected. "Is that what it is? I told you---"

"We aren't arguing sir," Hermione said. "At least, we haven't been in public. But we aren't fighting anymore anyway."

They heard Remus' heavy sigh.

"Then you're too busy making eyes at each other to concentrate on what you're really there for," Remus guessed. "This isn't a game, Harry! You of all people should know that! And you're Hermione's superior. You should be setting a good example..."

"Damn it we're doing our best to figure things out without making Dolohov realise what we're up to!" Harry said angrily. "Would you bloody like me to march up to him and ASK what that list of dates and times was for?"

"Of course not," Sirius said hastily. "Remus is just---"

"I can speak for myself, Sirius," Remus interjected.

"Look we're doing our best," Harry snapped. "We told you because we thought you ought to know he was a bit suspicious."

"And like Harry said, we did our best to deflect it," Hermione chimed in.

"If he does anything else, report back to me immediately," Remus ordered.

"We will," Hermione promised.

"Anything else?" Harry asked sarcastically.

"Harry," Hermione whispered shaking her head.

"You just keep focused," Remus told him sharply.

"We will," Hermione said before Harry clicked off the phone and angrily flung it across the room.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "I happen to like my mobile in one piece, thank you."

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised. "If something's wrong with it, I'll buy you another one. But I can't help it! Did you hear him?"

"I heard him," Hermione replied. "But I think our little show we put on as we left might have deterred him. I just want to know what made him suspicious of us in the first place."

"It wasn't anything we did," Harry said. "I mean, we've acted like bloody lovebirds the moment we got here."

She nodded. "At least we don't have to act anymore."

Harry hadn't heard her. He was pacing in front of the bed wondering what Remus' problem was. For someone who was all about the following rules, Remus hadn't batted an eye at them when he married Tonks. What was the big fucking deal anyway?

"Harry?" Hermione ventured softly.

"Unbelievable is what it is," Harry said in frustration. "There's no pleasing him, Hermione. No way."

"Harry relax," she said. "Maybe he's just having a bad morning- it is only around six am there you know."

"Yeah, maybe," Harry said absently.

The mood had obviously been killed. Hermione sighed and went into the loo to change for bed.

Harry was in such a state he hadn't heard her or even noticed that she'd left the room.

Hermione hoped Harry's mood wouldn't worsen. She knew Remus was only worried that the assignment would go awry- it wasn't a personal attack on either of them.

She quickly slid into her night gown and then brushed her teeth. When she opened the door, she saw that Harry was no longer in the room. She saw him sitting out on the deck staring out at the ocean.

"Harry," she said softly at the door. "Are you coming to bed?"

He turned and looked at her. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Hermione sat down on the end of his chair.

Harry pulled her into his lap. "No, it's not. Tonight we were going to---"

"We don't have to tonight," Hermione said, leaning against him. "To tell you the truth... I'd almost rather wait until you look like yourself..."

"You're not digging the brown hair and brown eyes?" Harry asked teasingly.

"I love your green eyes," Hermione rested her forehead on his.

"I just love you," Harry whispered.

Those words shot a thrill through her. "I love you," she answered quietly. "That's all I need for now."

He held her tightly. "Being with me isn't easy, you know."

"Believe me, I know," she answered dryly.

He tickled her side. "I'm trying to do better."

"You're fine," she answered, wrapping her arms around him.

"I am now," Harry said standing up with her in his arms. "Come on. Let's go to bed."

"I like that idea," Hermione replied as he carried her inside. "At least now you can sleep in the bed with me."

Harry grinned and set her down on the bed. "One of the perks."

She smiled as he quickly got himself ready for bed and slid in beside her.

"The time wasn't right tonight," he said pulling her close.

"It doesn't matter," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

"Doesn't make it any easier," Harry said softly.

"We'll make it work," she answered. "We have all the time in the world now."

"Time," Harry said softly, running his hands through her hair.

Hermione kissed him deeply, running her arms around his neck.

"Hermione," he whispered against her skin.

"Hmm..." she mumbled.

Harry needed to tell her the truth and he wanted to make sure she really knew what she was getting into before they went any further.

"What is it?" she asked when he pulled away.

"We need to talk," Harry said looking at her.

"About what?" she asked, suddenly scared. "Harry--"

"Being a part of my life will not be easy," he said. "The papers are going to be following our every move. Not to mention the whole fraternization rule. I don't believe in it myself, but some of the higher-ups like Kingsley enforce it. I don't want to hurt your career after everything you've worked for and I--"

"We'll make it work," Hermione interrupted him. "Harry, I love you. We aren't going to let anyone split us up now."

"I'm sorry that I hurt you," Harry said softly.

"It's okay now," she replied. "I mean... I wasn't very forthcoming either when you wanted to stay at school. We were both to blame for that break up."

"Idiots," Harry said with a wry laugh. "We missed three years."

She nodded, laying her head back down on his shoulder.

"I don't deserve you," he said kissing the top of her head. "But I'm not going to give you up."

"You deserve me," she said. "Because I think I deserve you."

Harry laughed. "You deserve much better than me."

She shook her head, her hair trailing over his skin. "Not as far as I can see."

Harry closed his eyes. "I love you."

Hermione kissed his shoulder. "I love you too."

"James wants Janie to know he loves her too," Harry said.

Hermione laughed softly. "Janie wants James to know this is the best holiday of her life."

"Nice couple those Montgomerys," Harry said, his eyes still closed.

"But I'd rather be here as myself, with you," Hermione answered.

"We'll go on holiday someday just as plain old Harry Sodding Potter and Hermione Granger," he promised.

"That holiday we talked about at Hogwarts," Hermione remembered.

"You remember that?" Harry asked.

"I used to think about it a lot right after we broke up," she answered.

"Me too," Harry said. "I kept seeing you in this red bikini..."

"Janie has a red bikini," Hermione whispered.

Harry grinned. "Does she now?"

"Mmmhmm..." she said. "Perhaps James will get to see it tomorrow."

"James already has a hard enough time keeping his hands off of her," Harry said sleepily.

"Janie doesn't mind that at all," she closed her eyes.

"Good night, Hermione," Harry said.

"Night Harry," she whispered back.

*** *** ***

The day after they'd become engaged, Ron had taken Luna to a local jewellery store and she had picked out her own ring. It might have been unconventional, but there was nothing normal about his fiancée and he loved that about her.

The two of them had just arrived for brunch at the Burrow. They hadn't told anyone yet about the engagement and Ron was eager to share the happy news with his family.

"I can't wait to tell everyone," Luna said dreamily.

"Me too," Ron said squeezing her hand. "Come on then..."

He held the door open for her. "Into the madhouse..."

Luna laughed. "You exaggerate. It's never that bad."

"Gred and Forge are here," Ron said. "It's always bad."

Luna kissed him. "I won't let them try any of their tricks on you."

"Ronald, is that you?" Molly called out from the kitchen. "Come on inside!"

"Be right in Mum," Ron called back.

"Ginny's still in hospital, right?" Luna asked.

"I think so," Ron frowned. "Faking it up for Neville."

"Maybe he can get her back to the girl she used to be," Luna said thoughtfully.

Ron had to admit that sounded nice. "Maybe," he replied, guiding her down the hall with his hand on her lower back.

Arthur smiled at his son. "Ron."

"Hi Dad," Ron hugged his father. "Glad to see you out of the garage."

Arthur chuckled. "I was tinkering with this BVB player Fred gave me."

"Dad, it's a DVD player," Fred corrected. "You play films on it."

"I can't wait to hook it up to the telly," Arthur said enthusiastically.

"We'll have to let you borrow some of our films," Luna said giving him a hug.

"Thank you dear," Arthur beamed at her.

"Ickle Ronniekins," George said putting his younger brother in a choke hold.

"Damn it Fred," Ron deliberately called him by the wrong name as he struggled away. "Gerroff me!"

"Luna how do you put up with that wanker?" Fred asked.

"He's very good to me," Luna said with a happy smile.

Charlie came into the kitchen carrying Bill and Fleur's youngest, Simone.

"Uncle Won!" Simone squealed.

"Hey you," Ron eagerly reached for his niece. "Is it just me or are you even more gorgeous than the last time I saw you?"

Simone giggled and hugged him around the neck. She was three years old and liked being the centre of attention.

"Looooooona!" Simone exclaimed waving at the blonde.

"Hello Simone," Luna waved back with her left hand and Molly's eyes grew wide as she saw the ring.

"Oh my word!" Molly gasped. "Is that---?"

Luna could hardly contain her excitement. "Ronald and I are engaged!"

Molly dropped the plate of biscuits in her hand and enveloped Luna in a big hug.

"What's en-raged?" Simone asked innocently.

Ron laughed. "Engaged, sweetheart. It means I'm going to marry Luna."

"Oooh," Simone said clapping her hands together.

Fred and George each put an arm around Luna. "We have to let you know what you're getting into..."

"I think I already know," Luna said with a grin.

"He snores," Fred began.

"Loudly," George chimed in.

"Already knew that," Luna said. "But if he sleeps on his right side, he's quiet."

"He slept with a teddy bear until he was 13," Fred said with a grin.

"Hey," Ron tossed an annoyed glance at his brother.

"I think that's quite sweet," Luna replied. "I slept with a stuffed snake until I was fifteen."

"Mum used to make him wear dresses," George said.

"I only did that once!" Molly exclaimed in her younger son's defence. "And he was just a boy then..."

"I used to wear boy's trousers when I would play outside," Luna shrugged.

"See?" Ron asked his older brothers. "Nothing you can say is going to make a difference."

"Not at all," Luna agreed.

"She fits in quite nicely," Arthur said beaming at her.

"You'll be Aunt Luna," Simone said happily.

"Yes I will," Luna said smiling at her. "And you can come over and stay with us any time. You and Tristan both."

"We'll take you up on that," Bill said coming into the kitchen with Fleur and their son. "I heard Mum's scream from upstairs. I take it something great happened?"

"Luna and I are going to be married," Ron was grinning broadly.

"Felicitations!" Fleur exclaimed.

"Thanks," Ron turned red as his sister in law kissed both his cheeks.

"If only Ginevra were here to share in the news!" Molly said wistfully. "But she and Neville are growing closer. I think we might have another announcement soon! "

"Don't count on it," Ron mumbled.

"When's the big date?" Arthur asked. "Have you set one yet?"

"Not yet," Ron said as Luna came over and stood beside him. "Luna wants to get married in the summer."

"We were wondering if we could have it here," Luna asked hopefully.

"Oh my dear, you don't even have to ask," Molly hugged her again. "Of course you can have it here. Arthur and I would be honoured."

Luna beamed at her. "Thank you. This place has always felt like home to me."

Molly let out a sob and hugged her even tighter.

"And," Luna said looking at Arthur. "I was wondering if you might....if you'd give me away, Mr. Weasley?"

"I'd be happy to," Arthur kissed her cheek.

"So," Fred said winking at his brother. "Which one of us will be your best man?"

"Not one of you crazy loons," Ron said. "I was hoping Charlie would do the honours..."

"Alright mate," Charlie grinned. "But what about Harry, or Neville?"

"You've known me the longest," Ron said. "And you took up for me when these jokers gave me such a hard time."

"Beat them up a time or two as well," Charlie cuffed George on the head.

"Charlie!" George exclaimed.

Charlie only laughed and sat down, drawing Tristan into his lap.

Luna knelt down. "Simone, how would you feel about being a flower girl?"

"What's a flower girl?" Simone asked.

"You get to wear a really pretty dress and carry a basket of rose petals," Luna told her.

"I get to wear a pretty dress?" Simone asked. "A really, really pretty dress?"

"A really pretty dress," Luna said with a grin.

"Can I be a flower girl, Maman?" Simone turned pleading eyes on Fleur.

"Oui," Fleur nodded smiling at her.

"What about me, Papa?" Tristan asked.

"I think we need a handsome ring bearer," Ron replied with a grin. "You up for the job?"

Tristan nodded.

"What about Fred and me?" George asked. "What the hell are we supposed to do?"

"George, language!" Molly chastised.

"Nothing," Ron replied. "Especially none of your bloody jokes."

Fred pouted. "Ronald, you don't want us in your wedding?"

"Maybe you can be ushers," Ron shrugged.

"Ushers?" Fred asked incredulously. "Ushers?"

"Ronald," Molly said reprovingly.

"Groomsmen?" Luna suggested.

"Fine," Ron said. "But one joke--"

"We'll be on our best behaviour," Fred and George promised in unison.

"I'll make sure of it," Molly promised.

Molly placed the late plate on the table and everyone took their seats, eager to begin the meal.

Luna took the seat beside Ron and she smiled adoringly at him.

"Alright?" Ron smiled at her and squeezed her hand.

"Brilliant," Luna replied. She looked across the table at Charlie who was talking to his nephew about his adventures in Romania. "Um, Ron? What would you think of setting up Charlie with someone?"

"Who do you have in mind?" Ron asked.

Luna grinned. "Lavender."

"Lavender?" Ron asked laughing.

"Why not?" Luna asked. "I think he'd quite enjoy her!"

"You're serious?" Ron asked. "Charlie and Lavender?"

"Just try it," Luna replied. "For me?"

"Go ahead," Ron said with a shrug. "But I don't think it'll work..."

"Just mention it to him," Luna said. "I'll work on her."

"Okay," Ron promised. "But wasn't she seeing some bloke?"

"I don't know how long it's going to last," Luna remembered the palm reading she'd given the blonde. She had tried to play it off as something unserious, but she could tell Lavender hadn't quite believed her.

"I'll ask Charlie after we eat," Ron told her. He had a feeling this was a bad idea, but he always had a problem saying no to Luna.

Luna kissed his cheek. "Thank you Ronald."

"You know," Ron whispered. "I'm really crazy about you, Loony."

"That goes double for me," Luna replied softly.

"Ronald, Luna," Molly urged. "You'd better get something on your plates before Fred and George eat everything in sight."

"Good idea," Ron said, reaching for some rolls.

"How is Ginny doing, Mum?" Bill asked. "Fleur and I were going to stop in and see her before we go home."

"She's been feeling better," Molly said. "I'm going to take her some leftovers after brunch is over."

"And she's getting back together with Neville you said?" Bill asked.

"It seems so," Molly nodded. "He's been taking very good care of her."

"He's good for our Ginny," Arthur said.

Ron still didn't think Neville was interested in reconciling with Ginny but decided to stay out of it.

"I still can't believe she was actually involved with Draco Malfoy of all people," Charlie said. "Talk about oil and water...'

"Malfoy?" Arthur asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

Ron tried to motion to his brother not to say anything further, but Charlie didn't see it. "Yeah, Ron said that---"

"Ginevra wouldn't be with someone like Draco Malfoy," Molly said to her son. "Charlie, I think you were mistaken..."

"Yeah, he's mistaken," Ron said quickly.

Charlie looked quizzically at Ron. "Yeah, I guess I heard wrong..."

"I should certainly hope so!" Molly said. "Ginny's smarter than that."

"Mrs. Weasley," Luna said deciding to change the subject. "I was hoping that you'd help me with the wedding plans. I'm a novice at this."

"I'd be delighted," Molly's frown turned into a smile.

Luna smiled back at her. "I know it's still a way off but it's never to early to plan."

"I should love to 'elp as well," Fleur offered.

"I'd love that," Luna said gratefully. "Your wedding was so beautiful."

"Merci," Fleur replied.

"Would you care for another biscuit, Ronald?" Fred asked holding out the plate.

Ron was about to take one, but drew back. "Not from you," he said.

Fred frowned. "Where's the trust?"

"I don't have any in either of you," Ron replied.

George shook his head. "We're your brothers, mate. We love you."

Ron raised an eyebrow disbelievingly.

"We didn't do anything to them," Fred said pulling an innocent face. "Honest."

"I don't believe you for a moment." Ron sat back.

"I'll have one," Luna offered.

"You don't have to," Ron assured her. "Knowing these two, you'll probably bark like a dog or your hair will turn blue."

Luna laughed. "As long as I turn back to normal..."

Fred grinned. "Here you are, Luna."

"Thank you," Luna smiled at him and fearlessly bit into the biscuit.

Ron waited for something bad or humiliating to happen, but nothing did.

"Are these gingersnaps?" Luna asked. "They're one of my favourites."

"Yes they are," George told her."

"They're quite good," Luna said reaching for another.

"Have all you like," Fred pushed the plate towards her.

"Thank you, Fred," Luna said smiling at him.

"I want one too," Tristan said holding out his hand. "Please?"

"Sure Tristan," Luna handed him one of the biscuits. "They're very, very good."

Ron couldn't understand why neither Luna nor Tristan was affected by the biscuits.

"Told you they were harmless," George said as if reading his mind.

"Whatever," Ron muttered.

There was a rustling noise coming from the sitting room and a few moments later, Neville and Ginny appeared in the kitchen.

"Ginevra, what on earth are you doing out of hospital?" Molly asked standing up and rushing to her daughter.

"Neville thinks I'll recover better now at home," Ginny said, obviously not enthused about this.

"You're looking better, sweetheart," Arthur said giving her a hug. "And you're just in time for brunch."

"Great," Ginny replied.

"You have to stay too, Neville," Molly said. "Your part of our family, too."

"I appreciate it," Neville replied. "But I've got rounds to do at the hospital."

"Just for a few minutes," Ginny said looking at him. "Please?"

"I really can't," Neville touched her arm. "I'm sorry."

"Oh," Ginny said sadly. "I-I understand."

"At least let me make you a plate," Molly said. And before he could refuse, she'd already set about loading a plate with food.

"Hiya, Neville," Luna said warmly. "It's good to see you again."

Simone waved at him. "Aunt Luna's en-raged to my Uncle Won!"

"You got engaged?" Neville asked her. "Congratulations!"

Luna nodded and stood up. "We'll have to get together when you're not so busy."

Neville gave her a hug and shook Ron's hand. "Definitely," he agreed.

Molly handed him the plate. "I put a warming charm on here so it will be nice and warm for you when you're ready to eat it."

"Thanks Molly," Neville said. "I appreciate it."

"I think I'm just going to go upstairs to my room," Ginny said softly.

"I'll help you up there," Molly said instantly.

"I can do it," Neville said. "You're eating. I can see her upstairs before I go."

"Thanks Neville," Ginny latched onto his arm.

Molly took the plate and told him she'd set it by the fireplace. Neville helped Ginny upstairs and to her old bedroom.

"I'll give your potions to your mum," Neville told her. "Just make sure you take them once in the morning and again before you go to bed."

"You have no idea what this means to me," Ginny said softly. "Neville... I've missed you so much."

"You've seen me every day since you've been sick," Neville said uncomfortably.

"I know but... I just missed what we used to share," Ginny looked down at her lap.

"Well maybe you should have thought about that before you snogged Malfoy behind my back," Neville said quietly.

"That was the biggest mistake of my life," Ginny looked up at him. "It caused me to lose you."

"Yes, well," Neville said pulling the covers around her.

"Just think about giving me another chance?" Ginny pleaded.

"Ginny," Neville said gently.

"Please just think about it," Ginny tried to sit up.

Neville helped her and couldn't help but remembering how sweet she could be. The last couple of days, he'd found himself softening even more toward her. "You're hard to say no to," he admitted.

Ginny smiled softly at him. "When I get better, we can go out and try again."

"There is this hospital fundraiser coming up," Neville said hesitantly. "I wasn't going to go, but--"

"A fundraiser?" Ginny asked. "That's sort of like a ball, right?"

Neville nodded. "The invitation said it was black tie."

"If you're asking me, I'd love to go," Ginny reached for his hand.

Neville smiled at her. "So, I guess it's a date."

She nodded and smiled. "A date."

Neville leaned in to kiss her cheek. "I'll stop by later to see how you're doing. If that's okay?"

"Fine with me," Ginny agreed.

"Get some rest," Neville told her.

"I will," Ginny said, but once he'd left the room she pushed the covers off and did a little dance around the room.

Downstairs, Neville was collecting his cloak and the plate Molly had prepared for him. Ron stopped his friend. "Everything okay?"

"Fine," Neville nodded. "Your sister's already much better. And congrats on your engagement- I think it's fantastic!"

"Thanks mate," Ron said clapping him on the back. "And for looking out for Ginny. I know that she doesn't really deserve it after what happened..."

"I think we might be able to work past it," Neville answered. "I'll see you soon, alright?"

"Absolutely," Ron said watching as his friend grabbed a handful of Floo Powder and then stepped into the fireplace.

A few moments later, Neville found himself back in his office. He set the plate down and then dusted himself off.

"Something smells delicious," Cho said from the doorway.

"Yeah," Neville nodded towards the plate. "Molly Weasley sent something along with me."

"Oh," Cho said quietly. "That's nice."

"We can share it," Neville offered. "There's more than enough."

She was hungry and even though she didn't much care for Ginny Weasley, she had always liked the rest of the Weasley family. "Are you sure?" she asked. "I wouldn't want to take your food---"

"Nonsense," Neville smiled. "It'll still be warm after we finish our rounds."

"That'd be great," Cho said smiling back at him. "All I had earlier was a couple of crackers from the lounge."

"All the more reason you should eat something substantial then," Neville pulled his clean robes on.

"You never told me how your meeting with the chief went," Cho said to him.

Neville smiled at her. "It was bloody fantastic. He was really, really impressed with what we've dug up so far."

Cho beamed at him and impulsively gave him a hug. "That's great, Neville!"

"Thanks to you," Neville hugged her back.

"I just helped a little," Cho said modestly. "This was all you, Neville. You really are an amazing healer. Your parents would be so proud."

He turned quite red. "Thanks Cho,"

Cho blushed, too. "So we should probably get on with our rounds. I thought we'd start on the second floor. Mr. Casey is back again with those bumps on his face. I still can't believe his wife came up with that spell that makes those bumps appear any time he has thoughts about other women..."

"That's pretty bad," Neville agreed. "Talk about lack of trust."

"Well, he's in here almost every day so they can't have much of a marriage," Cho said thoughtfully.

"It's a shame," Neville replied.

"Yes it is," Cho said. She hugged her files to her chest. "Um, so I take it you heard about that ball, right? The big fundraiser... "

"Yeah," Neville nodded. "I asked Ginny to go with me."

Cho's eyes grew large. She couldn't have heard him right. "Um, Ginny? Ginny Weasley?"

"I asked her when I was over at the Burrow just now," Neville didn't see Cho's face fall. "I assume she'll be up for it by then. She's already much better."

"So, you're getting back together then?" Cho asked trying not to choke over her words.

"We'll see," Neville still felt a little hesitant. "I still remember how I felt before... and I want things to be different this time."

"Are you sure this is such a good idea?" Cho asked choosing her words carefully. "She hurt you really badly Neville."

"That's why I'm taking things slow." he answered.

Cho was silent. She couldn't believe he was letting himself get taken in yet again by that horrible girl.

"What about you?" Neville asked. "Who will you be going with?"

"I... I don't know yet," Cho covered her disappointment. "Maybe I'll just go by myself."

"Someone as beautiful as you wouldn't have trouble getting a date," Neville said.

It was Cho's turn to blush. "We'll see..." she said quietly.

Neville knocked on Mr. Casey's door. "Mr. Casey?"

"Come in," the man grumbled.

Neville sent the man a sympathetic smile. "Let's see what we can do for those bumps today."

"I just don't understand why they keep coming back," Mr. Casey said scratching at his face.

Mrs. Casey rolled her eyes. "Don't scratch, Bernard. You'll have scars."

"I'll have scars if they keep coming back like this!" Mr. Casey said angrily.

"Maybe you should ask your secretary about why you keep getting them?" Mrs. Casey retorted.

"If it's okay, we'd like a moment with Mr. Casey by himself," Cho said to her.

Mrs. Casey grabbed her bag. "I'll just go the cafeteria then."

Mr. Casey grumbled to himself as his wife left. "Why can't we get these damn bumps to go away for good?" he demanded.

Neville looked at Cho, who nodded at him.

"There's something we think you should know about these bumps," Neville told their patient. "They always seem to occur at certain points, Mr. Casey. Do you remember what you were doing before this last outbreak?"

"I was hard at work," Mr. Casey snapped.

"Were you alone?" Cho asked gently.

Mr. Casey thought for a moment. "No..." he finally answered. "I was with my secretary, Kristy."

"And your last outbreak," Neville said. "What were you doing and who were you with?"

"I was talking with my secretary when these blasted things appeared!"

"Do you see a pattern, Mr. Casey?" Neville asked.

"No!" the older man snapped.

"Are you attracted to your secretary?" Cho asked.

Mr. Casey looked quite put out. "Is that old bat making you ask me this?" he asked.

"No, I'm certain she has no idea we're telling you this," Neville said. "Mr. Casey, if you look at the patterns here---where you were and who you were with when these breakouts occurred---you should be able to see why they are occurring.."

Cho held up a hand when it looked as if Mr. Casey was going to start bellowing. "Someone's put a hex on you when you find yourself attracted to other women," she explained.

"Are you saying that---Belinda----that she's done this to me?" Mr. Casey asked incredulously.

"We don't know who has done this," Cho said quietly. "But luckily, there's an easy cure for it."

"Can you stop them from coming back?" Mr. Casey asked.

"This only cures them," Neville was already writing something down.

"You just wait until I talk to Belinda," Mr. Casey grumbled.

"We'll have this sent up and the potion will be brought down to you shortly," Neville said.

"Thank you both," Mr. Casey said. "And can you see to it that Belinda doesn't come back in here?"

"Mr. Casey--" Cho began.

"I don't want to see her right now," Mr. Casey said firmly.

"You need to work some issues out with her eventually," Cho told him.

Mr. Casey huffed and then scratched at his face.

"Perhaps you should reassure her that she has no reason not to trust you," Neville suggested.

Cho touched Neville's arm. "We should get that potion order in."

"Of course," Neville said. "Mr. Casey, try not to scratch at the bumps. I know they itch, but you have to try not to scratch at them because the bumps could scar."

"How long is it going to take for this potion to get rid of them?" he asked.

"About an hour," Cho replied. "We'll be back to check on you and if all goes well, you can go home."

"Fine," Mr. Casey grumbled.

Cho followed Neville out of the room. "Hopefully, they'll be able to work this out."

"Hopefully," Neville echoed, still writing a few things down.

"But you know, once trust is broken down," Cho said thoughtfully. "It's hard to gain it back. Once someone has let you down, how do you find a way to let yourself trust them again?"

Neville shook his head. "I don't know," he replied. "I guess if you care about that person enough, anything is possible."

"Like how you feel about Ginny?" Cho asked although she knew the answer.

"I don't' know what's going to happen there yet," he answered.

"But you fancy her," Cho said quietly.

"I care about her," Neville said. "I was in love with her once."

Cho couldn't take it anymore. She grabbed the potion order. "I'm going to run downstairs and put this order in. I'll catch up to you later."

"But aren't you coming with me to see Mrs. Cassidy?" Neville asked.

"I'll catch up," Cho said over her shoulder. "Go on without me."

He didn't understand why she'd just run off like that. But she had been acting odd since he'd gotten back from the Weasleys.

He still couldn't believe that Ginny was becoming a part of his life again. He was afraid of getting his heart broken again, but the more time he spent with her, the more he remembered how he used to feel around her.

Cho meanwhile, was fuming as she rode the lift down. She was beginning to ask herself if Neville was worth all this.

How stupid could one person be? Ginny Weasley had cheated on him and humiliated him in front of his friends and schoolmates. She had trampled on his feelings for her own selfish gain and here he was letting himself fall for it all over again.

She was still grumbling to herself when she dropped off the potion order.

"What's wrong?" a voice made her look up to see Ernie Macmillan standing there. He was one of the potion masters in St. Mungos and she often would use him to brew something quickly.

"Men," Cho replied. "Why are you lot so stupid and clueless?"

"Hey now," Ernie wagged his finger. "We're not all so bad."

Cho smiled. "Sorry. I shouldn't let one bad apple spoil the bunch."

"So what's new up there?" Ernie asked.

"Same old, same old," Cho said handing him her order slip. "How soon do you think you could get this for me?"

Ernie studied it. "Half hour?"

"Thanks," Cho said. "It was good to see you again, Ernie. And sorry about that comment. You caught me at a bad moment."

"It's all right," Ernie said with a smile

Cho turned to leave but then faced him again. "Say Ernie... are you going to that fundraiser ball in a few weeks?"

Ernie shrugged. "I thought about it, but I haven't got a date."

"Want to go with me?" Cho asked.

Ernie grinned. "Yeah. Sure."

"It'll be fun," Cho forced a smile onto her face.

"I promise not to step on your toes," Ernie flirted.

"You aren't that bad at dancing," Cho shook her head.

"You've never seen me dance," Ernie reminded her.

"I did at the Yule Ball the one time," Cho pointed out. "You were all right."

Ernie grinned at her. "I was too busy looking at the beautiful girl in my arms to worry about my footwork."

"Of course," Cho smiled for real this time. "That potion needs to go to room 3213."

"Okay," Ernie said. "See you, Cho."

"Thanks Ernie," Cho headed back upstairs.

Neville was just coming out of Mrs. Cassidy's room. Cho put a smile on her face and hurried down the corridor. "How is she?"

"She's pretty good today," Neville replied. "One of her good days."

Cho smiled. "That's great."

"Did you put that order in then?" Neville exchanged Mrs. Cassidy's chart for another one.

Cho nodded. "I gave it to Ernie. He said he'd have it ready in about half an hour."

"Great," Neville smiled at her.

"And I asked him to the ball," Cho said.

His eyebrows shot up and Neville was astonished to discover he felt a twinge of disappointment at this. "Really... well um... that's nice. Now we both have dates."

"You think your date will mind if you share a dance with me?" Cho asked.

"I think that can be arranged," Neville agreed.

"Good," Cho said, wondering if she'd heard that twinge of disappointment in his voice when she'd told him about her date with Ernie, or if she'd just imagined it.

"I'll look forward to it," Neville said as they headed for their next room.

"Me too," Cho said, resisting the urge to grab him by the collar and tell him that he was the one she truly wanted.

"Come on," Neville said. "The sooner we get these next few rooms done, the sooner we can get back to that food."

Cho rubbed her stomach. "Okay, Longbottom. You lead the way."