Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We hope you enjoy the latest chapter. It's another long one with lots of H/Hr in it! We figure we all need that to keep up our "delusions".

With a longing look toward the bathroom, Hermione turned for the door. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see Monique standing there.

"Oh, you're back," Monique said with a pout.

"Can I help you?" Hermione asked, instantly suspicious of the woman's reaction.

"I was wondering if James was here," Monique said trying to look over Hermione's shoulder.

"He is," Hermione didn't open the door any wider. "He's busy though."

"Cold shower?" Monique asked.

"I don't believe so," Hermione answered.

"He and I were having a laugh earlier on the beach," Monique explained. "I just wanted to see if he was up for a swim."

"He isn't," Hermione answered coolly. "We're on our honeymoon, and we're spending time together."

Monique looked dismissively at her. "Oh, well...just tell him I'll be around if he gets bored."

Hermione's eyes narrowed. "James isn't bored," she was unable to shrug off her anger.

"That's not what he told me," Monique said. "But you go ahead and have your fun..."

"We will, thanks," Hermione nearly slammed the door in Monique's face.

"Janie---" Harry called out from the bathroom. "Come on, love. It's lonely in here..."

Hermione tried to dismiss the feelings of insecurity Monique had made flare up inside her. Harry loved her; he wasn't interested in that tart.

She opened the bathroom door and was hit by a wave of steam.

"Lavender talking you ears off then?" Harry asked.

"I didn't get a hold of her," Hermione answered quietly.

"Get your sweet arse in here then," Harry said poking his head out. "Hermione?"

"Coming," Hermione replied distractedly.

"Okay," Harry said grinning at her.

Hermione undid the straps of her dress and got into the shower with him. She vowed not to let him see what was bothering her.

"Hello, you," Harry said pulling her close.

"Hi," Hermione whispered, closing her eyes as the hot water beat down on her.

He kissed her, but her mind wasn't on what he was doing. She kept thinking about him on the beach with Monique.

James and I were having a laugh; Hermione heard the words run through her head. I wanted to know if he wanted to go for a swim...

"So you were on the beach earlier?" Hermione asked.

"More by the pool," Harry answered. "Why?"

"Just curious," Hermione said. "And you were alone?"

"Just me and the sun," Harry replied.

"No one bothered you at all?" Hermione pressed.

"Well, there was this annoying tourist from the states who kept asking me if I was interested in life insurance," Harry replied nuzzling her neck.

Was he lying?" Hermione wondered. She hated herself for not being able to decide if he was telling her the truth or if Monique was.

He pressed her against the tile and Hermione went through the motions, but she wasn't really there. Harry though didn't seem to notice.

She did manage to smile at him when they were getting out. "What time is the game tonight?"

"Nine," Harry said handing her a towel.

Hermione nodded as she dried herself off. "Sounds good."

"I hate to lose," Harry said wrapping a towel around his waist.

"So why don't you try winning a few hands near the end?" Hermione suggested.

"I might just do that to save my pride," Harry said placing a kiss on her bare shoulder. "You always have the best ideas."

She closed her eyes and leaned against him. "I love you Harry," she whispered.

"I love you too," Harry said putting his arms around her. "Very much."

"Always, right?" she asked.

"That sounds about right," Harry said kissing her shoulder again.

"Okay," Hermione hugged him tightly.

"You okay?" Harry asked.

"I'm fine," Hermione answered.

"Well, I'm going to get dressed and listen in on the feed from Dolohov's office," he told her.

"Sounds good," Hermione replied. "We might be able to pick something else up from that."

"Let's hope so," Harry said walking out of the bathroom.

Hermione looked after him for a moment before getting herself dressed quickly.

Her mobile phone was ringing when she came out of the bathroom and she picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hermione?" Lavender's voice came across the line.

"Lav," Hermione smiled. "I tried to ring you earlier."

"I was out," Lavender said happily. "On a date!"

"With Darren?" Hermione asked in confusion. She wasn't sure why that would be news to her.

"Ewww," Lavender said. "No, we broke up."

"When?" Hermione asked. "I thought things were going so well for you two..."

"They were until he decided to go back to his ex," Lavender explained. "And so I was feeling really down and since you weren't around, I ran into Luna and she gave me this reading and it turned out it was true and then she set me up with Ron's brother and I didn't think it was such a great idea---"

"Take a breath," Hermione interjected. "Ron's brother? Which one?"

"Charlie," Lavender confessed. "And he's positively dreamy, Hermione."

"He's the one that lives in Romania, right?" Hermione asked.

"He works with dragons there," Lavender said. "And... we're taking it slow. We weren't even going to get together at all, but it just sort of happened."

"He's quite a bit older than you," Hermione commented.

"Only eight years," Lavender answered. "Hermione... please be happy for me. I don't need a lecture..."

"I wasn't going to lecture," Hermione said. "And I am happy for you. If he makes you happy, that's good enough for me."

"Thanks," Lavender said. "I've missed you so much this week. I can't wait for you to come back."

"I've missed you too," Hermione said. "And there's something that's happened to me too."

"What?" Lavender asked. "Is it about your case?"

Hermione stepped back into the loo so Harry wouldn't hear her. "Harry and I are back together."

"You're what?" Lavender squealed. "But Hermione--"

"Being in close quarters like this kind of brought it about," Hermione told her. "And he even...he asked me to marry him..."

"HE ASKED YOU TO MARRY HIM?" Lavender shrieked so loudly that Harry looked over at her.

Hermione closed the door to the bathroom so she could have privacy. "Yes, he did...but there's this woman..."

"Hermione, start at the beginning," Lavender commanded.

Hermione told her best friend the details, leaving out important points about the case.

"What kind of cow hits on another bloke when he's on his honeymoon?" Lavender asked incredulously.

"This one," Hermione sighed. "The problem is, she's absolutely gorgeous."

"So are you," Lavender said loyally.

"Not like her," Hermione shook her head. "This woman is like a cat. She slinks around and... She purrs and she's just so, I don't know... together."

"And she's a skank who hits on blokes in their honeymoon," Lavender chimed in. "Reminds me of Pansy Parkinson. Do you know that cow actually hit on Ron when he and I were together?"

Hermione shook her head. "I just feel terrible for allowing myself to get taken in by her games. I know Harry loves me."

"You need to fight fire with fire," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"We don't have that much time left here," Hermione replied softly.

"Well, he is engaged to you," Lavender told her. "That's something."

"Right," Hermione said. "We'll talk properly about everything when I get back. But I do want you to be my maid of honour."

"I'm already planning your hen weekend," Lavender said happily.

"Anything else going on at home?" Hermione asked. "I feel as if we've been away for weeks instead of just one."

"You know that Ron and Luna are also engaged, right?" Lavender asked.

"What?" Hermione asked. "When did that happen?"

"Just a few days ago," Lavender replied. "They're very happy. "

"How lovely," Hermione said. "I'll act surprised when I come back when she tells me."

"Don't worry about Monique," Lavender told her. "You're in love. Trust in that."

"I will," Hermione felt better. "Thanks Lav. I can't wait to hear more about you and Charlie when I come back."

"And I can't wait to tell you all about him," Lavender said dreamily.

"We'll have a girl's night when I come back," Hermione promised. "Just the two of us."

"I can't wait," Lavender said. "And congratulations!"

"You too," Hermione said. "I'll see you soon Lav."

Harry was in the sitting room, leaning back in his chair. Hermione could hear unfamiliar voices.

"Dolohov's cleaning staff is in his office," Harry explained.

"Oh," Hermione sat down next to him. "Anything interesting from them?"

"They're talking about what they're going to do tonight," Harry said shaking his head. "Other than that...no..."

Hermione leaned against him. "Ron and Luna are engaged."

Harry smiled. "That's great news."

"Yes it is," Hermione replied. "I'm happy for them."

"And how is Lavender?" Harry asked.

"Fine," Hermione answered. "She actually broke up with Darren and is now going with Ron's brother Charlie."

"Is that one of the twins?" Harry asked.

"No," Hermione answered. "Fred and George are the twins. Charlie lives in Romania and works with dragons, I believe."

"And he's with Lavender?" Harry asked thoughtfully.

"Apparently Luna set them up," Hermione said.

"Luna, the matchmaker," Harry said grinning at Hermione.

"I think she just wants everyone to be as happy as she is," Hermione smiled back at him.

"Then she'll be happy to hear about us, Harry said putting his arm around her.

Hermione relaxed against him as Harry kissed her forehead.

"We'll be home soon," Harry said softly.

"It's funny," Hermione said. "I wanted to get an assignment like this so bad, and now all I want to do is go home and look at wedding magazines."

"I never would have figured you for wedding magazines," Harry teased.

"I never really saw myself getting married, at least not for awhile," Hermione returned.

"That makes two of us," Harry said.

Hermione kissed him. "I can't wait."

"When did you want to get married?" Harry asked her.

"As soon as possible?" Hermione asked.

Harry laughed. "We should wait..."

"I suppose it wouldn't matter too much," Hermione agreed. "When we get back, we'll find a place and we'll take it from there."

"Just let me know when and where and I'll be there," Harry said giving her a lingering kiss.

They were beginning to snog quite heatedly when Dolohov's voice came over the transmitter. "You better not have moved my files," he was snarling at the cleaning staff.

"We didn't, sir," one of the maids said. "Is there anything else we can do?"

"No," Dolohov snapped.

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look.

"What's got his knickers in a twist?" Hermione asked.

"What doesn't," Harry rolled his eyes.

"If that wanker calls here one more time threatening me," Dolohov was saying to someone. "I'd like to see him try and do this by himself!"

"He could never do it on his own sir," Gradwell replied. "Tonight we'll make sure he knows where he stands on this issue."

"Bastard," Dolohov muttered.

"We'll take care of him," Gradwell replied.

"We'd better," Dolohov growled. "I'm sick of dealing with him."

"Will they just bloody say who it is already!" Hermione wanted to explode.

"Cornelius has been a thorn in my side since this whole thing began," Dolohov said.

"Cornelius," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Harry," Hermione's head shot up. "Fudge! Cornelius Fudge!"

"The former minister?" Harry asked. "Bloody hell---"

"If he's in on this..." Hermione's brain worked fast. "Perhaps he's trying to regain his title. He didn't exactly leave willingly."

"And where does Dolohov fit in to this?" Harry thought aloud.

"I'm not sure," Hermione replied, getting up and pacing. "But this is huge, Harry. Fudge is in league with Dolohov- and don't' forget, you overheard him talking to Macnair. These are Death Eaters we're dealing with."

Harry sighed. "That's just brilliant. I've missed them."

Hermione looked over at him. "We need to report this."

"Yes we do," Harry said. "And I need to get into that meeting with Fudge tonight."

Hermione nodded. "We both do."

"Not we," Harry said. "Me."

"Don't even think about leaving me out of this," Hermione said sharply.

"There's no way he'd let you into that meeting," Harry argued.

"And he'll let you?" Hermione crossed her arms.

"Probably not," Harry admitted. "But---"

"I'm not just your girlfriend, Harry," Hermione cut him off. "I'm a capable Auror and you can't just leave me at home while you do this all on your own."

"Will you wear the cloak?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione promised.

"Fine," Harry relented. "But Hermione- and I'm not just saying this because I've been doing it longer- if anything happens tonight, you let me make the first move."

"Why are you saying it then?" Hermione asked.

"Because I want you to remember that," Harry was serious.

"You don't think I'm capable," Hermione said angrily.

"That has nothing to do with it," Harry forced his tone to remain calm. "This could be dangerous. I'm not asking you to stay out of it, I'm just asking you to let me make the first move. That's ALL."

"Why would you get to make the first move?" Hermione asked. "That's the most sexist remark..."

"Because I've been in this situation before," Harry shook his head. "Damn it Hermione, will you listen without jumping to conclusions?"

"So if someone comes after me, do I just stand there?" Hermione asked him sarcastically. "Wait for you to save me?"

Harry closed his eyes for a moment. "You will be in the cloak," he said tightly. "If someone does something, let me make the first move. You'll know what to do after that. All I'm asking, is that you wait until the right moment. I don't want anything to happen to you!"

She softened. "I don't want anything to happen to you, either."

"Just trust me," Harry said quietly.

"I do," Hermione said. "I just---I don't like you thinking of me just as your girlfriend. I am an Auror. I passed training. I'm quite capable."

"I know you are," Harry reached for her hands. "And you're more than just my girlfriend. You're my partner, Hermione."

"I might have overreacted," Hermione admitted begrudgingly.

Harry smiled crookedly at her. "You might have..."

Hermione hugged him. "I love you."

Harry held her closely. "I love you too."

"Nothing's going to happen to me," she said softly.

"I know," Harry said. "Nothing will happen to either of us if we take proper precautions."

"Right," Hermione agreed.

"Tonight might just be it," Harry looked down at her.

Hermione nodded.

"Will you be ready to leave this place?" Harry asked.

"I'll be glad to get back to being plain old Hermione Granger," Hermione replied.

"You will never be plain," Harry answered.

"Just old," Hermione joked.

"Maybe someday," Harry teased.

"How about you?" Hermione asked. "You'll go back to Vancouver to pack up your things, right?"

"I guess," Harry replied. "Perhaps you'll have to come with me."

"To make sure that you come back," Hermione said grinning at him.

"I'll come back," Harry told her. "But you can fight off the hordes of angry women."

"Hordes?" Hermione asked.

"Maybe a few less than that." he answered.

Hermione fell silent at this. She'd really tried to put those other women behind her. "Um...how many were there exactly?"

"Not that many," he reassured her. "Five or so. It wasn't a big deal."

"Five or so," Hermione repeated.

"Hermione," Harry gave her a look. "This doesn't matter. Not anymore."

"I know," Hermione said looking away. "I'm going to go and take a kip."

She was obviously pissed at him yet again, but Harry didn't feel like going into another argument. "We have dinner in a few hours," he reminded her.

Hermione shut the bedroom door behind her. She didn't like feeling insecure.

Harry stretched out on the sofa and turned on the telly. Sometimes, when he knew he was reaching the end of a case, he would let his mind wander. Usually he could think back and pick up a few things he hadn't realised before.

He went over everything he knew of Dolohov and the little he knew of his henchman, Gradwell.

"And Fudge," he muttered. "What could you possibly be up to?"

Although he'd been in Canada when Fudge had lost his re-election, Harry knew that the former minister had lost popularity over the years which culminated in the new Minister's election. Fudge was known for being stubborn and his unwillingness to change was legendary.

The connection was right there, and he just couldn't piece the last two pieces of the puzzle together.

"Hermione!" he called out.

Hermione turned on her side and tried to ignore him. He probably had forgotten to tell her about the six other girls he'd slept with.

"Hermione!"

With a groan she got up and opened the door. "What!"

"What was the main issue that brought about Fudge's ouster?" he asked her.

Hermione thought for a moment. "His stance against Muggles and Muggleborns," she said slowly. "He was trying to pass reforms to keep Muggleborns from being educated."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Sounds like him. The wanker didn't believe Voldemort was back until it was too damn late."

Hermione bit her lower lip. "It's almost as if he turns a blind eye towards troubles. That's what got him kicked out of office in the first place."

"The new Minister is a half-blood, right?" Harry asked. "It would make sense that he'd be for rights for Muggleborns."

Hermione was deep in thought as she began pacing again. "So obviously Dolohov, Fudge and the Death Eaters want him out so they can regain control of everything."

"Fudge couldn't do it on his own, so he's turned to Dolohov," Harry continued her train of thought.

"Dolohov knows all the Death Eaters," Hermione's eyes narrowed.

"But Dolohov wouldn't do this just for the money," Harry said. "He's going to double-cross Fudge. I know he is..."

"So perhaps Dolohov plans to use Fudge for the financial backing, and then he'll overthrow him once he's back in a position of power." Hermione nodded. "But in order for Fudge to be Minister, they'll have to..."

"…get rid of the current Minister," Harry finished. "That's why they've been monitoring his schedule. They're going to kill him, Hermione."

Hermione paled. "Oh Merlin..."

"But when?" Harry asked.

"That's what we need to find out tonight," she answered quietly.

"We will," Harry said. "And I'm going to enjoy sending Dolohov to Azkaban."

"Me too," Hermione agreed grimly. "And his slimy cohorts."

*** *** ***

With Harry out of town, Neville wasn't sure who he could talk to about his current situation. He certainly couldn't go to Ron, and he wasn't very close to either Dean or Seamus.

"Luna," he said to himself. He decided to use his lunch to go see her.

Because of the rain, Luna wasn't working today. She was more than happy to see him and welcomed him with a big hug.

"Do you mind me coming over unannounced?" Neville asked. "It's just... I need to talk to someone."

"I don't mind at all," Luna said smiling at him. "You're one of my oldest friends. Come on in!"

"Thanks," Neville replied. "You know, I never really congratulated you on your engagement."

"Thanks," Luna said shutting the door. "We have so much to plan."

"If you need any help, let me know." Neville offered.

"We will," Luna promised. "I was just going to make some tea. Would you like some?"

"Sure," Neville replied, following her into the kitchen.

"Molly has been so happy about you and Ginny," Luna said conversationally as she put on the kettle.

Neville nodded absently. "I suppose..."

Luna turned and looked at him. "But you're not?"

"I don't know," Neville said. "That's why I need to talk to you."

"Okay," Luna said, leaning against the counter.

"I think I'm in love with Cho Chang," Neville confessed. "Problem is, I also have feelings for Ginny."

"Cho?" Luna asked taken aback. "But I thought---"

"We went out the other night for dinner," Neville said. "And on our way back, we kissed. She told me she was in love with me."

Luna wanted to say something, but she stayed quiet.

"And the thing is, I realised that I've got the same sort of feelings for her," Neville looked down at his cup. "But then there's Ginny... she's changed a lot."

"Yes she has," Luna agreed. "And she loves you."

"That's why I don't know what to do," Neville replied.

"Bit of a dilemma, that is," Luna said thoughtfully.

Neville nodded. "I don't want to hurt either of them. And what gets me, is the more I think about this, the more I think of being with Cho."

"I don't know why you needed my help then," Luna said softly. "Sounds as if you've made up your mind."

"But I don't want to hurt Ginny," Neville said. "And I love her too. It's just... I've been trying to make it the same, and now that Malfoy's around again, I just can't help but think she might go to him."

"But you don't know that she would," Luna said. "She really, really cares about you. The other night we had her around and she kept saying how great things were going and how happy she was."

"This is why I can't figure out what I want," Neville put his head in his hands.

Luna patted his arm. "You have to follow your heart."

"My heart is what's confusing the hell out of me," Neville sat back.

"Does Ginny know about Cho?" Luna asked.

"She might suspect something," Neville replied. "They don't particularly seem to like each other. And Cho thinks Ginny's going to cheat on me again."

"What do you think?" Luna asked.

Neville didn't know. "I don't trust Malfoy as far as I could throw him. And every time I see him with Ginny, it just makes me think of when I saw them snogging in the Astronomy Tower. I'll never forget that as long as I live."

"She made a mistake," Luna said. "I know you were hurt and I don't know what I'd have done if I'd caught Ronald in that same situation..."

"We all make mistakes," Neville said. "But the thing is... she consciously made that decision to go off with Malfoy."

Luna nodded. "That's true."

"And no matter what I do, I can't just forget that," Neville said. "But at the same time, I promised her we're starting over. I told her I loved her. But now I haven't talked to her in a few days and it's like I wondered why I said that."

"You don't love her?" Luna asked.

"Again, I'm not sure," Neville shook her head. "When did this all get so bloody confusing?"

"I wish I could tell you what to do," Luna said thoughtfully. "I really do, but this has to be your decision, Neville. Whatever you decide, you know that I'll always be your friend and I'll support your decision."

"Thanks," Neville said glumly. "I just don't want the Weasleys to hate me if it doesn't work out with Ginny."

"They'll be disappointed," Luna said. "But you know that they love you."

Neville sighed. "I'm still at square one."

"Luna!"

"Ronald's home," Luna said.

Neville felt his stomach turn. "Maybe I should head back to hospital," he said nervously.

"Nonsense," Luna said. "I promise not to say anything to him, Nev."

"Okay," Neville said, his eyes skipping to the doorway as Ron appeared.

"Nev!" Ron exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Just dropping by to say hello," Neville replied.

Ron kissed Luna on the cheek. "I'm knackered. Practise was hell with the rain."

"You're soaked," Luna said, concerned. "Let me get you some tea while you dry off."

"Okay," Ron smiled at his fiancée.

Luna smiled back as she poured him some tea.

"When's your next match?" Neville asked.

"Next Saturday," Ron replied sitting down at the table. "Wimbourne."

Neville nodded. "Wish I had the time to take in a game again."

"You can make time to see the best player the Cannons have ever had," Ron said proudly.

"I thought Joey Jenkins had retired," Neville said trying to keep a straight face.

"Funny," Ron glared at him. "I've already gone from reserve to starting team in three years."

"And you're the handsomest player out there," Luna said handing him a towel.

"The handsomest player with the greatest fiancée," Ron replied, rubbing his wet hair.

Neville looked down at his now empty cup of tea. Cho. Ginny. Cho. Ginny.

He suddenly became aware of Ron telling Luna something. "And Ginny wants to know if you'll be around this weekend," he said looking at Neville. "Something about going out with some friends of hers from work?"

"Right," Neville nodded. "I've been so busy I haven't had time to ring her..."

"She's really stoked on you, mate." Ron said. "And I know I don't have to go all overprotective brother on you--"

"I-I really care about her too, Ron," Neville interjected.

"Good," Ron replied. "Don't hurt her."

Neville nodded. "I actually have to get to the hospital."

"So soon?" Luna asked.

Neville pushed back from his chair. "Yeah. I have some paperwork to catch up on."

"I hope you'll stop by again soon," Luna walked him to the front door. "And I hope you come to a decision with your problem," she added in a softer tone.

"Thanks for listening to me," Neville said giving her a hug. "Ron was right. You are the best."

Luna blushed. "You all are going to give me an ego."

"Well-deserved," Neville said before opening the door. A few minutes later, he found himself not back at the hospital, but standing outside Ginny's shop. He spotted the redhead at the counter, carefully wrapping a present for a customer.

He watched her, unnoticed, for a few minutes. He did care for her a lot.

She caught his eye and beamed at him. He smiled back and came inside when she waved at him.

"I was just thinking about you," she said giving him a hug.

Neville hugged her back. "I thought my ears were ringing."

"And before you ask, I've been taking it easy," Ginny said pulling away to look at him. "Four hours today."

"Your Healer is glad to hear that," Neville replied with a grin.

"I've missed you these last couple of days," Ginny said reaching for his hand. "But I've made good use of my time. I caught up with my brother Charlie who is dating Lavender Brown. Can you believe that?"

"He's dating Lavender?" Neville asked in surprise. "When did that come about?"

"Recently," Ginny said leading him over to the counter. "They both seem really happy."

"I'm glad for them," Neville said. "I'm afraid I only have a few minutes."

"I'll take what I can get," Ginny said smiling at him. "You know...I've had a lot of time to think..."

"To think?" Neville asked. "Um... about what?"

"About you and me," Ginny said thoughtfully. "I behaved really horribly when we were at school. I was so selfish. And then afterwards, I was throwing myself at you; trying to get you to notice me again. It took me getting sick to realise I didn't have to try so hard. I never dreamed you would give me a second chance."

"Gin--" he began.

She shook her head. "I know I didn't deserve it, but that just goes to show what a special person you are. I love you so much and I'm so happy that we found our way back."

Neville nodded. "And we won't let Malfoy interfere with us again."

Ginny thought briefly about that piece of paper in her bag. Malfoy was a bad memory she intended to keep in her past. Neville was her future. She looped her arms around his neck. "Who is this Malfoy you speak of? I have no idea who that is."

Neville smiled. "Let's get together for dinner tomorrow night," he suggested.

"Let me cook for you," Ginny said happily. "I have my mum's stew recipe, which I know you love."

"I'll owl you tomorrow when I know what my day will be like," Neville gave her a quick kiss.

"Okay," Ginny said holding him close. "I love you."

"Love you," Neville decided he'd made his decision. Ginny was his future.

The only thing that remained was telling Cho. He didn't know how he was going to do it.

*** *** ***

Harry and Hermione were currently getting ready for Dolohov's poker game. Hermione tied her hair back then went into the closet for Harry's invisibility cloak. "I hope we find out more tonight at the game," she said fervently. "I feel like we're on the edge of ending this whole thing."

"We are," Harry said slipping on his shoes. "Just remember what I said."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Stay put until you make the first move."

"I saw that," Harry told her.

She opened her mouth to retort when the phone rang. She picked it up and scowled at him. "Hallo?"

"Yes he is," Hermione replied. "James? You have a phone call."

Harry took the phone from her. "This is James Montgomery."

"Hello Mr. Montgomery," a female voice said. "Mr. Dolohov had us call to tell you he had an emergency meeting and tonight's game has been cancelled."

"I hope everything is okay," Harry said, wondering what this emergency meeting was about. "Thank you for letting me know."

"Have a good night," the operator said before hanging up.

"The game was cancelled," Harry told Hermione. "Some sort of meeting."

"Fudge," Hermione said. "He has to be meeting with Fudge."

He nodded. "That's a distinct possibility. We should figure out where they're at."

"What do you think we should do?" Hermione asked. "What if he's left the island?"

"Let's check the transmitter from his office," Harry replied. "Otherwise, we'll try a tracking spell."

Hermione nodded and followed him into the sitting room.

"Nothing," Harry said grimly after a few minutes of silence.

"We should head over to the main building," Hermione suggested. "On the pretence that we're getting a drink."

Harry nodded. "Perhaps we'll see something. I'll probably have better luck with a tracking spell there."

"Let me just slip into a dress," Hermione said.

Harry nodded and watched her go back into the bedroom. He ached to follow her, but knew there wasn't enough time for that.

Hermione quickly got dressed after choosing a pale pink sundress and a pair of white strappy sandals.

He swallowed when she came back out. "You look great."

Hermione smiled. "This old thing? It was the first thing I pulled out of my closet."

Harry slid his arm around her as they left the room. "When we finish," he said in her ear. "And we get time for a holiday; we're coming back to a place like this."

"Next time we do will have to be for our honeymoon," Hermione whispered back.

"Our real honeymoon," Harry kissed the side of her neck.

Hermione smiled, forgetting about her insecurities from earlier that day.

They went into the main building and settled at the bar, both keeping their eyes peeled for Dolohov, Monique or anyone that might give away where the meeting was taking place.

"What can I get you to drink?" the bartender asked them.

"Gin and tonic," Hermione answered absently.

"And for you, sir?" the bartender asked.

"Same," Harry replied. "We were looking to speak with Mr. Dolohov. Do you know where he is tonight?"

"I'm afraid not sir," the bartender replied.

Harry nodded.

"But Monique is over there at their usual table," the bartender said before handing them each a glass.

"Thank you," Harry told him. "We should at least try her," he whispered.

"Great," Hermione grumbled.

Harry squeezed her hand as they approached Monique's table. "Evening," he said politely.

Monique smiled at him. "James....I was hoping I'd run into you. Please sit down."

Harry pushed Hermione into the seat next to her and sank into one across from Monique. "Oh?"

"Absolutely," Monique purred. She was looking at Harry as if she wanted to eat him which only infuriated Hermione even more.

"Are you all alone tonight?" Hermione asked trying to keep her tone even.

"Yes," Monique said looking right at Harry. "All alone."

"What a shame," Hermione said her voice dangerously low. "Where's Antonin? We heard his game was cancelled."

Harry slipped something into Monique's drink while she looked at Hermione. "He's at some boring meeting."

"How about we drink to making new friends?" Harry asked raising his glass.

"Friends," Monique's lip curled slightly. "I prefer friends... with some benefits..."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"To friends with some benefits then," Harry said clinking glasses with Monique. Monique took a sip of her champagne.

"So..." she eyed up Harry as if Hermione wasn't even there. "What are you up to now that Antonin's game was cancelled?"

"Just seeing where the night takes us," Harry said. He knew the serum he'd placed in Monique's drink would start to affect her in a couple of minutes.

"Hmmm..." Monique sent him a lazy smile. "I know where I'd like the night to take me."

Hermione's blood was positively boiling.

"Why don't you tell us where Antonin really is?" Harry asked.

"That's a boring..." Monique's voice trailed off as her eyes grew hazy. "He's at a meeting, over in one of the private cottages."

"Who is he meeting with?" Hermione asked.

"Cornelius Fudge," Monique replied. "He's a silly old man."

"What are they meeting about?" Harry asked with baited breath.

"Fudge wants to take over the British Ministry," Monique replied. "But Antonin...."

"Yes?" Hermione asked.

"Antonin wants it all," Monique was still staring dazedly at the wall. "He's going to help Fudge get power... then seize it for himself."

Hermione shared a look with Harry. They'd figured out that much for themselves. But, time was running out and they needed to get to the meeting before it was finished.

Harry leaned in. "I'm going to go to the meeting. You stay here with her," he whispered in Hermione's ear.

"What?" Hermione asked. "No way--"

"I'm the senior partner here," he reminded her. "Look, you stay with her. The serum should wear off in about ten minutes. She's not going to have any memory of telling us those details."

Hermione glared at him. "And what am I supposed to do then?"

"Fine," Harry said. "Would you rather I stayed with her then? And see where the night takes us?"

Hermione was seething but she knew he had a point.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," Harry promised giving her a peck on the cheek.

"Great," Hermione said watching as he left. She looked at Monique who still had a glassy eyed expression on her face.

"James is gone," Monique said leaning back in her chair. "Bye-bye, Jamie!"

"James is mine," Hermione couldn't resist saying.

"For now," Monique giggled.

Hermione decided to take advantage of the situation.

"You fancy my husband, do you?"

"He's quite the handsome bloke," Monique purred.

"And what do you think of me?" Hermione asked.

"You," Monique drawled. "You could be pretty, but you're mousy and a bit virginal for my tastes."

Hermione resisted the urge to ram her fist down this woman's throat. "I assure you that my husband doesn't think that I'm mousy or virginal. He's very satisfied."

"Uh huh," Monique's eyes suddenly refocused. "Janie..." she forced a smile onto her face. "Where did your handsome husband go?"

"He wasn't feeling that well," Hermione lied. "He'll be back soon."

"What a shame," Monique took another sip of champagne.

"Yes, it is," Hermione said taking a sip of her drink.

"You must be lonely without him," Monique toyed with her hair.

"I am," Hermione said. "But I know he'll be back and then I'll shag him to within an inch of his life."

Monique let out a throaty laugh. "You seem so threatened by me, Janie."

"I'm not threatened by you," Hermione lied.

"Of course you aren't," Monique sounded amused.

"What kind of woman hits on another woman's husband when he's on his bloody honeymoon?" Hermione asked unable to keep the anger out of her voice.

Monique laughed again. "You ARE threatened by me," she shook back her hair. "How... interesting."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked.

Monique simply smiled. "Whatever you want it to..."

"Look you stupid cow," Hermione said getting to her feet. "If you so much as bat an eyelash at my husband again I'll---"

"What?" Monique also stood up and looked at her coolly.

"My mousy virginal self is going to kick your arse," Hermione said shoving the woman so hard she sat back down.

Several other guests stopped and stared at the two of them. "Janie," Monique said coldly. "You're causing a scene. I'll have you removed if you keep this up."

"I wouldn't want to cause a scene," Hermione said pushing back from her chair.

Monique laughed as Hermione got up and stalked out of the room.

Hermione wanted to hit something and hit it hard. She hated that she'd let that awful woman get to her like she had.

"Stupid bloody..." she was also angry that Harry had just left her there while he went and spied on the meeting.

He might have been the senior partner on this, but they were a team. She was going to help him whether he liked it or not.

Seeing as how she didn't know what cottage they were in, she began at the furthest one and started peeping in windows.

She didn't know what she'd do once she found them.

It was only one cottage from theirs that she peeked in and saw a group of men sitting around one of the tables inside the sitting room. "Jackpot," she whispered, wondering where Harry was.

"What part of stay with Monique did you have a problem with?" Harry asked from somewhere but Hermione couldn't see him.

"Where are you?" she hissed.

Harry pulled off the Invisibility Cloak. "Right behind you."

"How dare you leave me with HER?" Hermione snapped angrily. "That stupid cow--"

Harry threw the cloak around them. "Read me the riot act when we get back to the cottage. For now, we need to listen to the meeting. Okay?"

"Fine," she said, still angry with him. "What have you heard so far?"

"It's just started about five minutes ago," Harry told her. "They've just been going on about who is really in charge."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Men."

"And you're sure this cannot be traced back to me?" Fudge was asking.

Dolohov laughed. "I can truthfully say that you're not even going to be a factor, Cornelius."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Fudge asked angrily.

"I just meant that our plan is foolproof and completely untraceable," Dolohov covered.

"Fine," Fudge said. "You've spoken to Macnair?"

Dolohov nodded. "Everything's in place. It will take place in a week's time."

Fudge smiled coldly. "One week and I'll be back in power."

"One week," Dolohov said handing him some papers. "This is the schedule of events. You do not share this with anyone. When this is over, you burn it."

"Agreed," Fudge took them. "What is this about Bellatrix Lestrange?"

"One of your first acts as the new Minister will be to free Bella," Dolohov told him. "That is non-negotiable, Cornelius."

"Free Bellatrix?" Hermione whispered, her eyes widening.

"Over my dead body," Harry whispered back.

"Antonin, she was convicted of a terrible crime," Fudge protested. "There's no way I could free her. The public would have my head."

"It is non negotiable," Dolohov's face was masked in anger.

Fudge pushed back from his chair. "I-Il see what I can do."

"And you will appoint me your second in command," Dolohov told him. "That is also non negotiable."

"Fine," Fudge replied icily. "You do realise that I'm the one who will be in charge, don't you, Antonin?"

"Of course," Dolohov said smirking when Fudge looked back at his papers.

"They can't free Bellatrix," Hermione shook her head. "They just can't let her out."

"That'd be political suicide," Harry said.

It was more personal than that to Hermione. She clearly remembered how the woman had held her under the Cruciatus Curse for many long minutes when they were back at Hogwarts.

Harry put his arms around her. "She's not getting out, Hermione."

She forgot for a moment why she was so angry with Harry and let him comfort her.

"That woman is never stepping foot outside of Azkaban," Harry vowed.

"Will this be the last time that we meet?" Fudge asked. "Before---"

"Yes," Dolohov said coolly. "Next time, you will once again be Minister."

Fudge smiled. "Until then."

Harry was grim as the two of them sneaked away from the cottage. "Back to ours," he said.

"We'll need to tell Sirius everything," Hermione said as they huddled close together under the cloak.

"Yeah," Harry said. "They have a week to stop this from happening."

"What do we do now?" Hermione asked him. "Stay and continue on like we were before?"

"Let's find out what Sirius wants us to do," Harry replied.

"Right," Hermione said. Once they were back in the cottage, they contacted Sirius via the transmitter. They told him everything they'd overheard.

"We'll get right on this," Sirius said. "Excellent work, both of you."

"Should we just sit tight?" Harry asked.

"Lupin will get back to you soon with orders," Sirius said. "I need to get over to the Ministry."

"Keep us posted," Harry said before shutting off the transmitter. He looked at Hermione who was sitting on the edge of the bed. Truth be told, he was dreading her answer to the question he was about to ask.

"So," he began. "You want to tell me what happened with Monique?"

Hermione shook her head. "I can't believe you left me with her like that. What does she do but taunt me the moment you're gone."

"Hermione, you let her push your buttons," Harry chided her. "I know she's a bit abrasive..."

Hermione scoffed. "Why didn't you tell me you'd met up with her earlier?"

"Because I thought you'd react just like this," Harry said. "I'm not doing anything to encourage her, Hermione. You know that."

"Then why does she keep saying you have?" Hermione couldn't let this go.

"Okay," Harry sighed. "So you believe her over me?"

"I don't know," Hermione answered. She kept thinking of the things the woman had said. "It's not just Monique. You left me behind back there, Harry."

"I didn't," Harry said defensively. "Hermione, as the senior partner---"

"We are PARTNERS!" Hermione shouted. "You are not senior, we are equals!"

Harry tried very hard to remain calm. "Look, we are partners, but I am the more experienced one here. I've been doing this a lot longer than you. Surely you remember part of your training that said----"

"I remember my training just fine," Hermione said in a low, cold voice.

"Why don't you tell me what this is really about?" Harry asked folding his arms.

"I am," Hermione snapped. "I don't enjoy being left behind like you did. And now you're acting as if I'm not capable of doing anything."

"I didn't!" Harry retorted. "I just thought that given the situation you would rather handle Monique..."

"Because you don't mind handling her?" Hermione asked dangerously. "You seem to have had a lovely rendezvous on the beach that you didn't see fit to inform me of earlier."

"Rendezvous?" he asked. "Oh for Pete's sake, Hermione! She ran into me on the beach. We had a few words and I came back here. There's your big rendezvous."

Hermione shook her head. "No matter what I do, I'll just never be equal in your eyes. You'll always give me the lesser assignment. You'll always want me under constant surveillance so I don't get hurt. This is exactly what happened last time and now it's happening again."

Harry looked incredulously at her. "Okay, Hermione. You want to know what this is? No matter what I do, you're always going to remember Melanie from when I was fifteen and the women I knew in Canada. You don't trust me. This is exactly what exactly what happened last time and it's happening again. Except last time, we lost years. You want to do that again?"

"I don't care about those tarts in Canada," Hermione yelled at him. "And I've never once given thought to Melanie and what you two did together!"

"Right," Harry said shaking his head. "I've been paying for that in your eyes from the moment you found out about it."

"Bullshit," Hermione turned away.

"I need to get out of here," Harry said angrily.

"Right," Hermione said sarcastically. "Go solve the case without me so you can take all the glory."

Harry didn't say anything in response. He grabbed the key card and stalked out of the cottage, slamming the door behind him.

Hermione sat down on the edge of the bed as tears came to her eyes. She tried to tell herself she hadn't been foolish to fall for the same game twice but couldn't convince herself.

She'd been so happy just 24 hours ago and now everything had fallen apart. She'd let Monique get to her and the way Harry treated her during the assignment was insulting to her.

She thought about trying to find him to apologise but at this point, it was probably best for them both to cool off apart from each other.

When she was upset or tense, she usually cleaned and since Harry was in the habit of leaving his clothes on the floor, she started to tidy up the room to keep her mind off of their fight. She folded up a pair of his trousers and was about to put them in the dresser when she caught sight of a small box.

"Oh Merlin," she whispered when she opened it up. Inside was one of the most exquisite and beautiful diamond rings she had ever seen.

He was going to give this to her. Or maybe he's changed his mind, Hermione thought sadly.