Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: You get a little bit of every storyline in this chapter which we think is a nice touch since most of you will probably be occupied this weekend reading that book by that certain person. No matter what happens, we will keep writing and we hope that the other fanfic authors continue to do the same. We took a hit with HBP, but we're still strong! Have a great weekend, you guys and keep your heads up!

Pleased that even after the ball, Neville was spending more and more time with her despite Draco Malfoy hanging around, Ginny happily accepted his invitation to meet him at the hospital for lunch. He said he wanted to check her over and make sure she was truly feeling better as well.

She had been given a second chance with Neville and she wasn't going to blow it this time.

He had told her he would meet her in the cafeteria and to wait for him in case he was a few minutes late.

She'd taken it upon herself to go ahead and get their food. She knew him well enough by now that she knew what he liked to eat and what he didn't. Ginny chose carefully and chose the grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. Simple, healthy and best of all no garlic or onions in case he kissed her after everything was said and done.

Sitting down at a table near the window, she cast a warming charm on his food and nibbled at hers while she waited.

"You didn't have to do all this for me," a familiar voice said from behind her.

Ginny turned and frowned. "It's not for you, Malfoy."

"Oh come on," Draco smirked at her. "It's my favourite meal."

"It's for Neville and me," Ginny said glaring at him. "And he's going to be here any minute so go away."

"I wasn't talking about the food," Draco slid into the chair.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Please...just go!"

"I don't think you want me to," Draco said simply.

Ginny picked up her tray. "Fine...if you don't go...I will."

Draco put a hand on her arm and she had to sit back down lest she drop the tray. "I just want to talk to you," he said seriously.

"About what?" Ginny asked impatiently.

"You and me," he said intently.

"News flash for you," Ginny said bitterly. "There is no you and me. There's you and your trophy wife."

"There could have been," Draco replied.

"Not anymore," Ginny said looking around for Neville. "I love Neville and I'm going to marry him."

"Has he asked?" Draco said bluntly.

"Well, no," Ginny admitted. "But he's going to. We're getting back to how we used to be before I went completely insane with you."

Draco grinned at her. "Insane... that is how things were. We were almost there, Red."

"That's in the past," Ginny said quietly.

"It doesn't have to be," Draco replied. "When I saw you at that fundraiser... it's like nothing changed."

Ginny couldn't believe him. "Draco...you are married. You took vows. And I'm not the same girl I was back then. I love Neville."

"If you love him, you would have made sure I walked away by now," Draco replied.

"I tried," Ginny said. "But you always do exactly what you want to do no matter what anyone else wants."

"I never forced you into doing anything, Red." Draco pointed out. "Everything you did with me at Hogwarts was your own choice."

"I never said it wasn't," Ginny said softly.

"I'm just saying... I think we could have that again," Draco's eyes were uncharacteristically warm.

"You're married," Ginny reminded him.

"In name only."

"What kind of marriage is that?" Ginny asked him.

"I didn't marry her for love," Draco explained. "After my father went to jail, we were dead broke. It was the only way for my mother and me to survive."

"So what---you want me to be your mistress?" Ginny asked him in disgust. "No thank you!"

"I think you've missed me," Draco replied. "And I wasn't lying when I said I cared about you."

Ginny looked away from him. Why couldn't he have stayed away?

"Don't shut me out," he told her.

"Draco, I---"

Neville stood a few feet away watching the scene unfold. He automatically thought the worst. He'd been looking forward to their lunch.

Ginny caught his eye and waved at him.

Unenthusiastically, he made his way over. "Hi," he bent down and kissed Ginny on the cheek.

"Malfoy was just leaving," Ginny said pointedly to Draco.

"Good," Neville said coolly.

"Think about what I said, Red," Draco said pushing back in his seat. "Longbottom."

"What was he doing here?" Neville asked tersely.

Ginny shrugged. "I don't know. I honestly didn't know he was going to be here, Neville. He showed up and I was trying to get him to leave..."

Neville nodded, trying to convince himself that he believed her.

"He's just trying to cause trouble," Ginny said motioning for him to sit down. "Let's not let him ruin our lunch, Neville."

"Okay," he said. "This looks great."

Ginny beamed at him. "So I chose correctly?"

"You did," Neville nodded.

"So how has your day been so far?" Ginny asked him.

"Busy," Neville replied. "That's why I was running late. Cho has been helping me with more of my research too."

Ginny knew how important that research was to Neville, but she didn't like how Cho had insinuated herself into the mix. But, she told herself, Neville was eating lunch with her, not Cho.

"How is it going?" Ginny asked.

"Great," Neville smiled genuinely for the first time. "Cho's a really great help to me. I wouldn't' be able to do this without her."

"You'll find something to help your parents," Ginny said touching his arm. "I know it."

"I hope so," Neville nodded. "How about you? How are you feeling?"

"Fine," Ginny replied. "And I think that might have something to do with my lunch date."

"My day just got better too," Neville reached for her hand.

Ginny squeezed his hand. "Are you doing anything Tuesday night?"

"Work," Neville said regretfully.

"You are a workaholic," Ginny chided him. "Okay then...when do you have a free night?"

"I'll have to let you know," Neville said. "I'm working with Cho every night this week, both on research and we have all our patients."

"Well," Ginny said trying not to show her disappointment. "I was thinking I could come over to yours and cook you dinner."

"That sounds nice," Neville said. "I'll let you know as soon as I have a free night."

Ginny took a bite of her chicken and studied Neville.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I guess I just don't think you want to be with me." she chose her words carefully.

"Why would you think that?" Neville asked her. "Ginny---"

"It's probably just me being silly," Ginny looked down at her food.

"Ginny," Neville said. "Is there something on your mind?"

Ginny just shrugged.

"Tell me," Neville insisted.

"I know you're really busy with work," Ginny said softly. "I just want to spend time with you is all. Couldn't you get someone to cover your shift just for one night?"

"It's not like that, Gin." he told her. "These are my patients I have to take care of. And this research I'm doing could bring my parents back to me."

Ginny nodded. "I know. I'm sorry for saying anything. And I'll have to get used to it since we're going to be together."

Neville squeezed her hand. "Right."

"And we'll find time when we can," Ginny said. "Whenever we can."

"Sure," Neville nodded.

Ginny smiled at him. "And I can come here to join you for lunches when your schedule allows. I'm going back to work tomorrow if you think its okay."

"I think you'll be fine," Neville nodded. "Of course, when I run a few tests it'll tell us for sure."

"I hated being sick, but you know I really think it was the best thing that ever happened to me," Ginny said. "It brought us back together."

Neville nodded as he finished his meal. "Let's go check you out," he said.

"Okay," Ginny said standing up.

He took her hand as they left the cafeteria. He couldn't resist looking over to where Draco Malfoy was sitting with one of the board members.

Draco glared at them and Neville couldn't help feeling superior for once where Draco Malfoy was concerned.

Ginny also noticed that and pulled him out of the cafeteria.

Neville led the way down the corridor toward the examining rooms. "So you've taken your potions as directed and you've gotten plenty of rest, right?"

"Just as you told me to do," Ginny replied.

Neville opened the door to the examining room and ushered her inside. "And you haven't had a fever in three days, right?"

"Nope," Ginny shook her head.

"Up on the table," Neville directed her.

Ginny sat on the table and waited for him to pull out her charts.

"I'm just going to take your temperature," Neville said. "And check your heart rate. Make sure your vitals are okay."

"Sure," Ginny replied, unbuttoning the top few buttons of her blouse.

Neville turned back around. He had a stethoscope like instrument and he placed it on her chest. "Sorry if it's a little cold..."

Her heart beat faster at his nearness. "I'm okay..." she whispered.

Neville smiled at her. "Sounds good."

"Neville..." she said softly.

"Yeah?" Neville asked writing something down on her chart.

"I..." Ginny began. "I just..."

"What?" Neville asked.

She didn't know what else to say so she grabbed his robes and pulled him to her, kissing him.

Her actions took him by surprise and her chart fell to the floor, papers scattering everywhere.

"Ginny---" Neville protested, breaking away from her. "We can't do this here---"

"We're all alone," Ginny said breathlessly.

She was looking at him in such a way that he felt his resolve weakening. And he'd spent his whole life doing the safe, responsible thing. He had feelings for this girl and he'd be lying if he said he didn't want to.

"We are alone," Neville said cupping her face in his hands. "All alone...'

"Right," Ginny said, kissing him again.

Neville pressed her back on the examining table, positioning himself over her. He trailed kisses down her neck and shoulder.

"Yes," she whispered, helping him with the rest of her buttons.

"You're so beautiful," Neville whispered against her skin. He pulled away for a moment to take off his robes.

Ginny smiled at him, feeling triumphant inside. However, when she closed her eyes as he kissed her again, she pictured Draco Malfoy in her mind and not Neville.

"Ginny?" Neville asked. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes," she replied, pushing the image away.

"We don't have to do this if you're not sure," Neville said softly.

"I'm sure," Ginny said without hesitation.

Neville smiled down at her. "I've never... I've never done this before..."

"Me either," Ginny pushed his shirt up.

Neville was a little surprised to hear this. He'd assumed that she'd done that and more with Malfoy. Hearing that she hadn't made his heart swell. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you," she said, thrilled.

She helped him shed his shirt and he was just hitching up her skirt when the door clicked open.

"Neville, have you seen---oh my God!"

"Cho!" Neville scrambled for his clothing.

Cho covered her eyes and walked backwards out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

"Shit," Neville swore, pulling his trousers back up.

"Talk about a mood killer," Ginny said buttoning her shirt.

Neville shook his head. "I am in huge trouble."

"It's my fault," Ginny apologised. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," Neville replied. "Just... I'll have to finish checking you out later. Not... not checking you out, but your check up..."

Ginny nodded. "I know what you meant, Nev. You can tell Cho it was my fault."

Neville didn't look at her as he pulled his robes on. "I'll owl you later, okay?"

"I love you," she told him. "Good luck."

"Bye," he answered, heading out the door.

Cho was at the nurse's station furiously thumbing through a chart.

"Cho?" Neville asked hesitantly. "I know that looked bad--"

"Looked bad?" Cho hissed. "That didn't look bad at all, Neville!"

"It didn't?" Neville asked in confusion.

"Sarcasm," Cho said glaring at him. "I cannot believe you would behave in such an unprofessional way! I can understand her---but you?"

Neville sighed. "I'm sorry," he said.

Cho wasn't through with him though. "Anyone could have walked in on you! What would you have done if I'd been the chief?"

"I know," Neville looked at the floor. "I don't... don't really know what to say."

Cho just shook her head. "Unbelievable..."

"Cho--" Neville began but she grabbed him by the arm and marched him to her office.

"What the hell are you doing?" she asked him point blank. "Do you even know?"

"What?" Neville asked. "Of course I do!"

"Enlighten me," Cho said folding her arms.

"Look, what I do on my own time is my business," Neville said.

"But you weren't on your own time!" Cho practically exploded. "You were at work, Neville! And about to shag that tart!"

"I was giving her a check up," Neville crossed his arms.

"I saw what you were about to examine!" Cho exclaimed.

"Look," Neville tried to stay calm. "I said I was sorry. I know what I did was wrong."

"No you don't!" Cho retorted. "If I hadn't walked in you'd have been---you'd have been----"

Neville realised Cho was about to start crying. "Are you okay?"

Cho shook her head. "No, I'm not bloody okay!"

He didn't know what else to say. He felt terrible that Cho was so disappointed in him. "I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to tell the chief," he said quietly.

"I'm not going to tell the chief," Cho said looking at him.

"You aren't?" he looked up.

She shook her head. "No, I'm not a nark."

"Oh," Neville fiddled with a quill on her desk. "Well um... thank you..."

"Neville," Cho said looking at him. "We're friends right?"

"Yeah," he said. "Good friends."

"She's going to break your heart," Cho said. "I know it just as sure as I know that the sun will rise..."

"Ginny?" Neville asked. "Cho- she loves me and I love her. She's changed. Malfoy was bothering her today and she didn't look twice at him."

Cho gaped at him. "You l-love her?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "I do."

"This is the same girl who broke your heart at Hogwarts," Cho reminded him, trying to stave off her tears. "This is the same girl who kept showing up here, faking being sick just so you'd pay attention to her and one case of the flu and she's suddenly the love of your life?"

"Why are you so bothered by this?" he asked her.

"Because we're friends," Cho said which was partly true. "And I don't like seeing my friends hurt."

"I don't think she's going to hurt me," Neville replied. "Not this time."

"For your sake, I hope you're right," Cho said turning away.

He stared at her for a few moments. "We can still be friends, even if I'm with Ginny."

"Even if I can't stand her?" Cho asked.

"Would you at least try to get along with her?" he requested.

"I'll try," Cho promised. She winced as she looked at him. Every time she looked at him, she pictured him with Ginny on that examination table.

Neville chanced a smile at her. "You know... you've become one of my best friends in the past three years."

"We've been through quite a lot," Cho agreed.

"We have," he said. "There's really nothing I can do to thank you for everything you've done."

"Just watch yourself around Ginny," Cho said.

"I won't need to," Neville said. "But I appreciate that you've got my back."

"I have to go and check on Mrs. Peterson on the third floor," Cho said eager to get away from him. "I'll catch up with you later."

"Sure," Neville said. "Thanks again Cho."

Cho grabbed some charts and then headed out of her office as fast as her legs could carry her.

He wondered what was behind Cho's strange behaviour. She had never looked so out of control to him before.

A nurse stopped Neville and handed him a note as he exited Cho's office.

He unfolded it and smiled as he read Ginny's words.

Neville:

I hope that everything works out okay. I really didn't want to get you into trouble. It was the wrong place, but it's the right time for us. I love you and can't wait to be with you.

Yours, Ginny

He resolved to put aside a few nights a week to spend with her.

Meanwhile, Ginny was leaving the hospital when she saw Draco approaching her again. "Would you take a hint?" she asked irritably. "I don't want to see you!"

"You look all hot and bothered," Draco commented. "Surely that's not from Longbottom..."

Ginny pulled her cloak around her and tried to turn away.

"I have a consultation so I'll let you go for now," Draco said in her ear. "But Longbottom's going to bore you, Ginny. Mark my words."

"I don't' think so," Ginny struggled away, not noticing as he slipped a piece of parchment into her bag.

"See you later, Red," Draco said smirking at her before heading in the other direction.

Ginny shook her head as she strode in the opposite direction. She wanted to stop by her work to see when she'd be able to start again.

The shopkeeper was happy to see her and gave her a sheet of parchment with her hours for the next week.

"We've missed you, Ginny," the older woman said. "I'm glad you're feeling better."

"Thanks," Ginny replied. "I'm loads better than I was."

"We'll start you back on four hours tomorrow," the woman told her. "You don't want to overdo it."

Ginny nodded. "Thanks Annie."

"You're welcome," Annie said giving her a hug.

Ginny went to put her schedule in her bag when she saw the folded bit of parchment. Thinking Neville had somehow put it in there; she opened it with a smile.

Inside was Draco Malfoy's room number and hotel.

"Bastard," Ginny whispered, balling up the paper. She was about to throw it away, but something inside made her shove it back into her bag.

Back at the hospital, Cho was trying to hold it together. She couldn't walk around the halls crying her eyes out. That would never get her anywhere. For one thing, she had put off telling Neville how she really felt and because of that, Ginny had swooped in and taken advantage of the situation.

She wiped at her eyes once more and walked into Mrs. Peterson's room. "Hello," she said trying to keep the emotion out of her voice. "How are you today?"

"Hello Dr. Chang," Mrs. Petersen said. "Today's been a good day."

"That's great," Cho replied forcing a smile.

"But obviously not for you," Mrs. Peterson said looking sympathetically at her. "Dr. Chang?"

"Um," Cho looked at the chart. "I need to place a monitor on your blood levels, okay?"

"Okay, sweetheart," Mrs. Peterson said. "Love, your eyes are red...you've been crying..."

"It's just some personal troubles," Cho waved her hand. "Nothing important."

"Might help if you talk about it," Mrs. Peterson said as Cho placed the monitor on her patient's arm.

"It's beyond that, I'm afraid," Cho replied softly.

Mrs. Peterson smiled kindly at her. "Troubles with the opposite sex?"

"You could say that," Cho answered dryly as she propped up the older woman's pillows.

"Did your boyfriend cheat on you?" Mrs. Peterson asked. "If he did, he's an idiot. You're beautiful and charming and very kind."

"He's not my boyfriend," Cho said a bit wistfully. "But he's just blind as a bat is all."

Mrs. Peterson nodded. "Most of them are, dear."

"And it never gets better?" Cho asked.

"The good ones wise up eventually," Mrs. Peterson replied with a grin. "Who's your young man then?"

"Oh..." Cho didn't think she should mention it was Neville. "It's just... someone I knew at school."

"And you have a crush?" Mrs. Peterson guessed.

"I thought he might have some feelings for me, but I was wrong," Cho said with a sigh.

"Did you tell him how you felt?" Mrs. Peterson asked.

"I never got a chance to," Cho explained.

"Do you still see him?" Mrs. Peterson asked. "Because if you do, it's not too late, dear."

Cho doubted that, but she nodded. "Thanks for the advice. I'll be back in later to get the results from your monitor."

"He's not a mind reader, Dr. Chang," Mrs. Peterson commented. "You have to let him know you're interested. Sometimes you have to beat them over the head."

Despite herself, Cho smiled. "I'll keep that in mind."

She didn't see Neville the rest of that day and thought he'd decided to go early when she spotted him in the research room.

"Hello, stranger," Neville said warmly when she walked inside.

"Hey," she smiled weakly.

"Still mad at me?" he asked looking up at her.

"No," she answered truthfully.

Neville closed his book. "I promise it won't happen again."

Cho only nodded. "Did you find out anything new?"

"A few ingredients for a potion that has helped some cases, but nothing long-term," Neville replied. "How's your day been?"

"Long," she answered, rubbing her eyes. She recalled Mrs. Petersen's advice, but didn't even know how to go about approaching something like that.

"You should go home," Neville said. "You look really tired, Cho."

"I'm just going to sleep here," Cho shook her head. "No sense in going home when I have to be back in a few hours."

Neville nodded. "I was thinking of doing the same."

Cho nodded. She let her long hair loose and rubbed her eyes wearily. She didn't notice Neville staring at her.

Neville hadn't seen her with her hair down too often and he couldn't help his breath catching in his throat as he watched her.

She glanced up. "What?" she asked, seeing the expression on his face.

"Nothing," he lied.

"Right," Cho said, a bit sadly. "Um... I think I'll go sleep for a little while then. Good luck with your research."

"Cho, wait," Neville called out to her.

"What?" she turned back around a rather hopeful expression on her face.

"How would you like to grab a bite to eat before you take your kip?" Neville asked.

"Go eat?" she repeated.

Neville nodded. "If you're not too knackered."

"No," Cho replied. "I'd love to get something to eat."

"Great," Neville said. "Would you mind if we got out of here? I've about had it with cafeteria food..."

"That's fine with me," Cho suddenly felt wide awake.

"Anywhere you'd like to go?" Neville asked her.

"There's that little pub just around the corner," Cho replied. "They have really good food." she took off her white robes.

"I'm going to go upstairs and freshen up," Neville said. "I'll meet you down here in about 15?"

"That's fine," Cho said. "I'll be right back."

She walked quickly out of the research room and when she was out of Neville's line of vision, made a mad dash for her office.

She grabbed the jumper she kept there and pulled it on, then applied a quick bit of makeup. She left her hair down and hoped she wouldn't look too flushed when they met up again.

Perhaps Mrs. Peterson was right, she thought as she glimpsed herself in the mirror. Maybe it wasn't too late.

Rushing back to the research room, she tried to calm herself down. "It's just dinner," Cho told herself.

Neville was already waiting for her, wearing a navy blue jumper and a pair of khaki trousers. He turned and smiled at her. "You look...great."

"Thanks," Cho blushed. "You look nice too."

"Ready to go?" Neville asked her.

She nodded. "And starving."

"Me too," Neville agreed holding the door open for her. He felt a little nervous like he was going out on his first date. He wondered why since Cho was his friend and he'd been alone with her numerous times.

"Thanks," she said as they headed out of the hospital and down the street. "It's nice to get some fresh air, you know?"

"Absolutely," Neville agreed. "And it's a nice night, too."

Cho closed her eyes a moment. "The weather is nice right now."

Neville looked sideways at her. He'd always thought she was pretty, but she was particularly striking tonight.

"I'll tell you something," Cho lowered her voice. "They have the best fish and chips at this place. Hands down."

Neville grinned. "You are so English."

"As opposed to you?" Cho bumped his shoulder with hers.

He bumped her back. "I was actually thinking of a cheeseburger and chips. I know not the most healthy thing for a healer to eat, but...."

"Sometimes you just need to splurge," she finished with a grin.

"You get me," Neville said as they approached the pub.

"I won't tell if you don't," Cho replied, happy to hear what he said.

Neville grinned, glad that she didn't seem to be upset with him anymore. "Tonight's on me..."

"I can pay--" she began to argue.

"My treat," Neville cut her off. "I'll place our order, Miss Fish and Chips. What do you want to drink?"

"A pint of whatever is on draft," Cho replied.

"You've got it," Neville told her. "You want to find us a table?"

"I can do that," she answered. "Don't be long."

She found a table toward the back of the pub. She was just going to be herself and maybe flirt a little.

Neville placed their order and brought their drinks back to the table. "You know, this isn't going to help you stay awake."

"Suddenly, I'm not so tired," Cho said smiling at him.

"Me neither," Neville agreed with a grin. "Cheers."

"Cheers," Cho said smiling at him. "It's been awhile since I've done this...gone out for a drink with a friend."

"We should go out more," Neville replied.

"Yes we should," Cho said. "We should definitely see more of each other."

"At least once a week," Neville replied. "We get out of that hospital and just hang out together."

"We could go bowling," Cho suggested. "Or flying...I haven't done that in ages!"

"I'm rubbish at flying," Neville admitted ruefully.

"No you're not," Cho reassured him.

"You've obviously never seen me on a broom," he shook his head.

"I love flying," Cho said leaning back in her chair. "My father took me up when I was about four years old. If I hadn't gone into medicine, I'd have been a professional."

"I can see you playing Quidditch professionally," Neville replied thoughtfully. "You were amazing when we were in school."

Cho blushed. "Thanks."

"I mean it," he replied. "I remember that one game Ravenclaw played against Hufflepuff in my sixth year. They didn't have a chance once you were up there."

Cho grinned at the memory. "It was raining so hard. I was soaked clean through and I didn't care. I just wanted to find the Snitch."

"And you did," Neville replied. "I think it was the one time I rooted for anyone other than Gryffindor."

"I wish I'd have known you in school," Cho said wistfully.

"I knew who you were," Neville blushed. "I had a little crush on you at one point."

"You did?" Cho asked as a waitress brought their food.

"A little one," Neville confessed. "My fifth year."

"I wish you'd have said something," Cho said. But the truth was, she probably wouldn't have noticed. She was still broken up about Cedric's death then.

"I was way too shy," Neville replied. "Even more than I am now."

"You've come out of your shell though," Cho said. "And you're so easy to talk to, Neville. You really are. I feel as if I could tell you anything."

"Thanks," he said, flushing with pride.

Cho looked down at her plate. "So, I guess we should dig in..."

"Before it gets cold," Neville picked up his burger.

"Right," Cho agreed.

"This is excellent," Neville said with his mouth full.

"I'm not much of a red meat eater," Cho said dipping one of her chips in catsup. "So I'll take your word for it."

"How's your fish?" he asked her.

"Delicious," Cho said. "You can have a bite..."

"Thanks," Neville grinned at her.

Cho looked adoringly at him as he took a bite of her fish. He was absolutely adorable. She didn't even remember what it was like to not love him.

"Good?" she asked him.

"That's bloody fantastic," Neville nodded. "Next time we come here, that's what I'm having."

"Next time," Cho said happily.

"This is just what the healer ordered," Neville joked. "Getting out of that hospital really feels good."

"Yes it does," Cho agreed. "We kind of forget there's a world outside those walls."

"One time I realised I stayed there for four days straight," Neville confessed.

"I have you beat," Cho said. "I was there for seven days straight during my intern days...I didn't shower, I didn't sleep...I was a zombie."

"You didn't shower?" Neville wrinkled his nose.

Cho shook her head. "I looked awful!"

"I highly doubt that," Neville finished his burger.

"I did," Cho assured him.

"Don't believe it for a second," he answered.

"Thankfully, there are no pictures of me during that time," Cho said pushing her plate toward him. "You can finish this if you'd like. I'm full."

Neville dumped the rest of her chips on top of his. "How's your beer?"

"Really good," Cho said. "In fact, how about a refill?"

"Sure," he answered, signalling for the bartender.

"This round's on me," Cho said reaching for her bag.

"I've got tonight," Neville shook his head. "You can get next time."

"Neville---"

"I've got it," he insisted. "Really. Gives us a chance to do this again."

"You really are the best," Cho said beaming at him.

He blushed. "I try..."

They spent the next hour and a half at the pub, just talking and drinking. Cho felt light-headed and happier than she'd felt in days.

"Ready to get back?" Neville asked her.

"I suppose," Cho said as he helped her up. "I probably shouldn't have had that third beer."

"I won't tell anyone that you cut loose," Neville promised.

"I'll grab one of those energizing potions when we go back," Cho said.

"Good idea," Neville said putting an arm around her to steady her.

"Sorry," Cho muttered. "I shouldn't be drinking like this. I'm setting a bad example."

"Yes you are a bad influence on me," Neville joked. "I'm going to give up medicine and become a lush and it's all your fault."

Cho nudged his side. "Very, very funny."

Neville grabbed her around the waist and started to tickle her. "Say uncle, Chang."

"Neville!" she laughed. "Stop it!"

"What was that?" Neville asked laughing right along with her. "I didn't catch that..."

"You are so going to get it!" she managed to wiggle away.

"I'm shaking in my boots," Neville said shuddering.

"You should be," Cho advanced on him.

Neville managed to grab her again and he held her close. "You were saying?"

"Not fair," she started laughing again. "You're stronger than me."

Neville laughed. "So you give?"

"Never!" Cho shook her head, her hair flying.

Neville stopped laughing and his face grew serious as he looked at her. "Cho---"

She also stopped laughing. "Yeah?" she asked softly.

"I don't know," Neville said still holding on to her.

She realised she was still in his arms. "Um..." she blushed.

He wasn't sure who kissed who first, but the next moment, the two of them were kissing. It started out tentative and soft, but quickly turned passionate.

Cho held onto him, running her fingers through his hair as their kiss grew even deeper.

Neville pulled away from her, staring at her in disbelief. "Cho, I'm sorry---"

"No," she said breathlessly, pulling him to her again.

"I-I can't," Neville said shaking his head. "I can't do this..."

"Yes you can," Cho replied. "Neville, I love you."

Neville gaped at her. "You're pissed. You don't know what you're saying..."

"I am not pissed," Cho denied. "I've been in love with you for over a year now."

"With me?" Neville asked incredulously. "I'm ----I'm nothing, Cho. You could have anyone...."

"You are not nothing," Cho shook her head. "You are this amazing, caring man who I've come to love since getting to know him. I just... I never knew how to tell you before."

Neville didn't even know how to process this information. He couldn't believe Cho was telling him this now. A wave of guilt washed over him as he thought of Ginny. He'd been so apprehensive about trusting her. He'd been so hard on her and here he was snogging his colleague the very day that he'd confessed his feelings for Ginny.

"Neville..." Cho said softly. "I would never treat you the way she did. Never."

"She and I are starting over," Neville said quietly.

Cho felt like she'd been slapped. "But--"

"I never dreamed you'd feel that way about me," Neville said.

"I do," Cho replied. "I wouldn't lie about this."

"I know you wouldn't," Neville said softly. He found himself stepping closer to her again. "Cho---"

"Yeah?" she asked hopefully.

He wanted to tell her that he had feelings for her, too. But, instead, he kissed her again.

Cho pressed her body against his, throwing her arms around his neck.

"Neville," Cho whispered as Neville kissed her neck.

"I can't help it," he whispered back.

"Just don't stop," she pleaded.

"Do you want to go back to mine?" Neville asked her softly.

"More than you know," she said breathlessly.

Neville smiled at her. "Yeah?"

Cho nodded, not caring that they had to be back at work.

"Wait," Neville said regaining his senses. "Ginny---"

"Neville," Cho shook her head.

"I'm a bloody hypocrite," Neville said turning away from her. "I told her I loved her today, Cho. And then you come along and you tell me that you love me...and I can't think of anything else but that...what the hell is wrong with me?"

"Don't fight it," Cho pleaded.

"I don't want to," Neville admitted.

"I love you," Cho said again.

"I love you too," Neville said softly.

Tears flooded her eyes. "Really?"

Neville nodded. "You're my best friend, Cho."

"You're one of mine too," she reached for his hand.

"I don't want to hurt anyone," Neville said. "And I can't just forget about what I feel for Ginny, Cho."

Cho took a deep breath. "Maybe..." she began softly. "Maybe you need some time."

He nodded. "Just to sort all this out."

Cho leaned in and kissed his cheek. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Except to bed," Neville said trying to keep his tone light. He had a lot of thinking to do.

Cho nodded. She felt slightly disappointed, but at least she had finally admitted her feelings and wasn't out of the running. He had said he LOVED her. That had to mean a lot.

They walked the rest of the way back to the hospital in silence. He avoided temptation by giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek just outside the main entrance.

"I'm going to head on home," he said softly. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"I'll cover your rounds tonight," Cho promised. "Thanks Neville."

"Good night," he said smiling at her.

"Night," she said softly.

Neville walked away, his mind reeling. He had a big choice to make. He loved both Ginny and Cho, but it wasn't fair to anyone to string them along. Cho was his best friend and he loved her compassion, her strength and the way she made him feel like he could do anything. And then there was Ginny---the first girl he'd ever fancied. The pretty redhead had grown up quite a bit and he loved how she could make him laugh and how her eyes lit up when she talked about something that interested her.

He let out a short laugh. "I have girl trouble... for the first time in my life."

*** *** ***

Lavender felt quite apprehensive about tonight- part of her wished she hadn't agreed to go, and the other half was a bit excited. She had grabbed her mobile a few times to call Hermione but didn't want to disrupt her friend's assignment. She also thought about ringing Luna, but hadn't done that either.

She'd agonized over what to wear. She didn't know where she and Charlie were going which didn't help matters. Should she go for casual and wear jeans and a jumper? What if they were going to a posh restaurant? Should she wear that little black dress that had been collecting dust in her closet?

She pulled the dress out and took a long look at it. She had bought it ages ago, and had yet to wear it. "What the hell," she shrugged. "I want to look nice for me, and not for anyone else." Wearing the black dress would make Lavender feel good about herself.

She finished her makeup and styled her hair and was just putting on her earrings when she heard a knock at the front door. He was early.

Charlie shifted from one foot to the other as he waited for her to answer. He'd bought her a small bouquet of flowers, hoping she wouldn't read too far into it. It was more of a thank you gesture for helping him find that gift.

Lavender peered through the peephole and was happy to see that Charlie was dressed in a suit and tie. She took a deep breath before opening the door.

"Hi," she said shyly.

"Hi," he answered. "You... wow... you look really pretty."

Lavender smiled at him. "Thanks, you do too. Not that you look pretty...you look handsome." She blushed even more. She was babbling like a complete idiot.

"These are for you," Charlie held the flowers in front of him.

Lavender took them. "They're beautiful. Let me just put them in water. Come on inside..."

"Thanks," Charlie stepped into the doorway. "This is a nice flat you've got here."

"Thanks," Lavender said over her shoulder as she headed to the kitchen. "Hermione and I have been here since we left Hogwarts."

"Hermione Granger right?" Charlie asked. "Ron used to talk about her sometimes."

"Yes," Lavender said looking in one of the cabinets for a vase. "She's my best friend."

Charlie nodded. "What does she do?"

"She's an Auror," Lavender replied. "And right now she's away on her first big case since she graduated from training."

Charlie was impressed. "Good for her. That's fantastic."

Lavender set the vase on the kitchen table and then turned her attention to her date. "What about you? Do you live alone in Romania?"

"I live with some of the guys I work with," Charlie told her. "It's a bit cramped, but we make do."

"How many of you in one place?" Lavender asked interestedly.

"Six," Charlie said ruefully.

Lavender gasped. "Six?"

Charlie nodded. "We're not all there at the same time usually." he helped her on with her cloak.

"I imagine you're used to living with a lot of people though with your brothers and sister," Lavender commented.

"Yeah," Charlie nodded as they left her flat. "I'm used to living in a crowd."

"I would have loved to have brothers and sisters growing up," Lavender said. "I'm an only child."

"Where do your parents live?" he asked.

"Birmingham," Lavender replied.

"That's a lovely area," Charlie nodded.

"It's home," Lavender said. "So ...did you give your mum the gift?"

"She loved it," Charlie nodded. "Thank you again."

"I was happy to help," Lavender said smiling at him.

He offered her his arm. "I hope you like curry."

"I do," Lavender said.

"There was this excellent place I would go to when I lived here," Charlie said. "I know the owners."

"Is it within walking distance?" Lavender asked. "Or should we hail a taxi?"

"We can walk," Charlie told her.

"Sounds good," Lavender said linking her arm in his. It was a force of habit that she always did on dates and she hoped that she wasn't making him uncomfortable.

He was pleased at her gesture and they made pleasant small talk on their way to the little restaurant.

"You were Head Boy when you were at Hogwarts, right?" Lavender asked him.

Charlie nodded. "And so was Bill, before me."

"But not Fred and George or Ron," Lavender said as he held the door open for her.

Charlie laughed. "For obvious reasons, no."

"This is a nice place," Lavender said looking around.

"We have the table over there in the corner," Charlie pointed.

Lavender led the way to their table and was pleasantly surprised when he held out her chair. "Chivalry isn't dead...."

Charlie turned red. "Well, my dad always told me to treat women like I'd treat my mother."

Lavender smiled at him. "He didn't pass that on to Ron...on our first date; he made me pay for his sweets at Honeydukes and then wouldn't share..."

Charlie shook his head. "And if it had been Fred or George, you wouldn't have wanted to eat anything they put in front of you."

"So apparently your father got through to you and not the others," Lavender said. She picked up her menu.

"Seems that way," Charlie looked at his own menu.

"What do you recommend?" Lavender asked.

"Well, if you like chicken, this is a good one," Charlie pointed. "Or fish here..."

"I think I'll go with the chicken," Lavender said. She peered over at him. He really was quite handsome, she thought.

"It's my favourite," he told her. "I always order that."

The owners of the restaurant came over to say hello and Charlie greeted them warmly. He introduced them to Lavender and explained that they'd all gone to school together.

"He helped get me through Charms," Blake told Lavender. "And Potions...and Care of Magical Creatures..."

"Don't forget Divination and Herbology," Charlie joked.

"He helped you out full stop, Blake," Nora said grinning at her husband.

"Did you go to Hogwarts, too?" Blake asked Lavender.

"Yes," she replied. "I was at school with Charlie's brother, Ron."

Blake's eyes grew large, but he nudged Charlie. "Robbing the cradle, eh mate?"

Charlie turned a laugh into a cough. "We're just having a friendly dinner."

"Right," Blake said winking at Charlie.

"We'll have someone come and get your order," Nora told them. "It's really great to see you again, Charlie."

"You too," Charlie nodded. "Thanks Nora."

"They seem nice," Lavender said to him once they were alone.

"They're good people," Charlie said. "I was best mates with Blake in school- we were pretty inseparable."

"I was about like that with Parvati Patil," Lavender said. "We grew apart though after everything that happened with Luna in my last year."

"She never got over what happened?" Charlie asked.

Lavender shook her head. "Her twin sister Padma was one of the first people attacked. She blamed Luna for everything and even after we found out that Luna wasn't herself during that time, Parvati didn't care. It's so strange, Charlie. I spent six years as her best friend and now we're strangers."

"That's a shame," Charlie replied. "You and Luna are good friends though?"

"I'd like to think so," Lavender replied. "And if anything good came out of this, Hermione and I became friends. We're different as night and day but we get along so well."

"I'm afraid I don't know her very well," Charlie said. "I think I've met her all of once."

"Perhaps she'll be back before you leave for Romania," Lavender said hopefully.

A waiter came over and took their orders, interrupting their conversation.

"I'll have the chicken," Lavender said.

"Same here," Charlie added. "And can we have extra Nan bread?"

"Of course," the waiter replied. "And to drink?"

"White wine?" Lavender asked.

"Sounds good to me," Charlie said. "Make that two."

"Very good," the waiter nodded. "I'll bring your drinks right now."

"How much longer before you have to go back?" Lavender asked Charlie.

"Trying to get rid of me?" he teased.

She blushed. "No, I didn't mean it like that."

"Only joking," Charlie said. "I have about three more days here."

"Only three?" she asked.

"Time goes by fast," Charlie said. "It seems like just yesterday I was arriving..."

"Maybe when I come to Romania for my shoot I can come visit you?" Lavender suggested tentatively.

"You probably wouldn't want to hang out at my reservation," Charlie said.

"I'm rather fascinated by dragons," Lavender confessed. "I always thought they were cool."

Charlie smiled. "You are?"

She nodded. "Ron told me once how Hagrid had a Norwegian Ridgeback our first year at school. I believe he said you took it for him?"

"Norbert," Charlie said nodding. "We still have him, actually."

Lavender smiled. "And I remember them during the Triwizard Tournament my fourth year of school. They're really quite beautiful."

Charlie was pleasantly surprised. "I was there, actually. My colleagues and I brought the dragons for the tournament."

"You were there?" Lavender asked, sipping her wine.

"I was," Charlie said softly. "And you were...you were in your fourth year..."

"It seems so long ago," Lavender shook her head.

Charlie fell silent, thinking yet again of how young this girl was. He kept hearing Blake's joke about robbing the cradle in his head. Of course, this wasn't really a date.

"It's funny," Lavender said. "I know you're eight years older than I am, but it doesn't feel like we're too far apart."

"Eight years is quite a bit though," Charlie said quietly.

"Only if you let it bother you," Lavender wasn't quite sure why she was pursuing this.

"And you dated my little brother," Charlie said.

Lavender sighed and looked out the window. "And he's happily engaged to another woman."

Charlie was about to say something else when a tall man with dark features came over to their table.

"Lavender, I thought that was you," he said.

The blonde turned and looked up at the familiar man. "Darren---what are you doing here?"

"I'm here with Katia," Darren gestured to the woman waiting for him on the other side of the room.

"How nice," Lavender said icily.

"How have you been?" Darren asked.

"Fine," Lavender said coolly. "Since two days ago? Just peachy."

"Lavender, you know you really should get over this," Darren said.

Charlie stood up. "I for one would like to thank you, David....for breaking up with Lavender."

"Excuse me?" Darren raised an eyebrow.

"If you hadn't broken up with her, we'd have never found each other," Charlie said pushing past Darren and offering Lavender his hand. "Right, sweetheart?"

Before Lavender could reply, Charlie had pulled her to her feet and into his arms. And then to her complete surprise, he kissed her.

She quickly got over her surprise and kissed him back. "Right..." she said breathlessly, a smile on her face.

"Who is this bloke?" Darren demanded. "Were you seeing him while we were together?"

"This bloke is Charlie," Charlie said. "And I know how to treat a woman like Lavender. And I'd also never use the old "it's not you; it's me" excuse on ANY woman."

"You told him that?" Darren asked glaring at Lavender.

"You were the one that said it," Lavender said as Charlie put his arm protectively around her.

"Blake?" Charlie called to his friend. "Would you mind boxing up our dinner? I think Lavender and I are going to take ours home." He looked at Lavender. "Is that okay with you, love?"

"Fine," Lavender nodded.

Darren was gaping at them. "Lavender---"

"Goodbye, Darren." Lavender turned her back on him.

Charlie paid for their meal and Nora handed Lavender their dinners. "Good night---"

"Good night, David," Charlie said waving at the other man, who was just staring at them open-mouthed.

Lavender held in her laughter until they were outside. "I can't believe that!"

"I'm sorry I overstepped my bounds, but Merlin what a wanker," Charlie said shaking his head.

"You didn't," Lavender said shyly. "I appreciate what you did in there."

Charlie took the bag from her. "Did you see the look on his face?"

She nodded. "I'm not as upset as I thought I would be. I thought seeing him again would be the end of the world."

"He's in there right now cursing himself for letting you go," Charlie told her. "As he should be..."

Lavender blushed. "I don't know about that..."

"I do know one thing," Charlie said. "I'm still hungry...do you want to take this back to yours?"

She nodded. "I'm hungry too. And we can put on some music; have a little more wine..."

"Sounds good to me," Charlie said taking her hand.

She squeezed his fingers in hers. Lavender found herself liking Charlie more and more as the evening progressed.

They were still laughing when they arrived back at her flat. "You find something on the wireless and I'll take care of the food."

"Sounds good," he headed into her sitting room.

Lavender plated their food and found a bottle of wine in the icebox.

"All right," she said, balancing everything in her hands.

Charlie was sitting down on her sofa. "Anything I can do to help?"

"Nope," Lavender set it down. "I've just got to grab the goblets."

"Is this station okay?" he asked.

"It's fine," Lavender nodded. "I'll be right back."

Charlie saw some candles on the bookshelf and he wondered if perhaps he should light them. But, then again, he didn't want to be too cheesy or make her think that he was thinking this was a date.

He decided to anyway. Just as he set them on the table, she reappeared in the doorway.

"I was going to get those," she said softly.

"You don't mind?" he asked sheepishly. "I thought it might be nice."

She shook her head. "I love candlelight."

"This is nice," Charlie said.

Lavender nodded. "It really is. I'm having a great time tonight."

"Even when blokes you barely know grab you and snog you?" Charlie joked.

Lavender blushed. "It wasn't a bad kiss..."

Charlie looked at her. "It wasn't?"

She shook her head. "I liked it."

"I can do better," Charlie said softly.

The room suddenly felt very, very warm. "You can?" she whispered.

Charlie moved closer to her on the sofa. "I can..."

Lavender closed her eyes as he leaned in and pressed his lips to hers again.

His arms snaked around her waist pulling her closer as he deepened the kiss.

She had never kissed anyone quite like this before. He was gentle, passionate, and the way he touched her made her feel wanted.

"How's that?" Charlie asked when they pulled apart.

"Amazing..." Lavender said dazedly.

"I wasn't going to do that," Charlie said resting his forehead on hers.

"I'm really glad you did though," she replied. "I'm not exactly sure what's going on here... but I like it. A lot."

"I do too," Charlie said. "You're amazing."

Lavender touched his face and kissed him again.

It had been quite some time since he'd felt this way about a girl. His reservations about her age were slowly evaporating away.

"Charlie," Lavender said softly. "I know it's soon... but we could take this slow and see where it goes?"

"I'd like that," Charlie said squeezing her hand. "I'd like that very much."

She smiled up at him. "Really?"

"Really," he said giving her another kiss.

Lavender melted against him, her eyes closing again.

"We'd better eat before this gets cold," Charlie said after a few moments.

"Right," Lavender pulled away reluctantly.

"We can snog some more later," he promised.

She smiled at him. "This is really unexpected, but I like it."

"Yeah," Charlie said smiling back at her. "And you know Luna's going to love this."

"I know she says she can't see the future, but she must have known something," Lavender shook her head.

"She did," Charlie said before taking a bite of his chicken. "This is actually one of the best first dates I've had."

"Me too," Lavender agreed, reaching for the container of rice.

"So is it too early to ask if you'll be my date for Ron and Luna's wedding?" he asked.

Lavender grinned. "I'd love to be your date to the wedding."

Charlie raised his glass to her. "So...I guess this is to new beginnings."

She nodded as she picked up her goblet. "To a great new beginning."

They clinked glasses. "And to annoying little brothers and future sisters-in-law," Charlie chimed in.

She laughed. "And good friends."

"And to snogging," Charlie said winking at her.

Lavender raised her glass higher. "Lots of snogging. Lots and lots of snogging."

Charlie felt better than he had in quite some time and for the first time, he didn't care about their age difference or the fact that she'd once dated his brother.

"You were right about that place," Lavender sighed and sat back. "I haven't eaten like that in ages."

"Weasleys know about food," Charlie said.

"I'd never doubt that for a moment," Lavender said. "If you want dessert, I believe I have some ice cream."

"I do want dessert," Charlie said setting his plate aside.

"I'll go get it--" Lavender began.

Charlie took her hand. "Not that kind of dessert..."

"Oh..." comprehension dawned in her eyes.

Charlie leaned in and gave her a kiss. "Very sweet..."

"Yes you are," she said softly.

They didn't talk much after that and Lavender couldn't wait to share the news with Hermione. She just hoped her best friend was doing okay with Harry.

*** *** ***

Harry sat down on the chaise lounge with his beer and smiled to himself. He'd spent the morning in town, visiting a jeweller. He'd found the perfect ring for Hermione and planned to give it to her tonight.

They'd split up for the day. She'd volunteered to tail Dolohov and Gradwell who were having some big meeting. He didn't like the idea of her being alone with those two men but she had his Invisibility Cloak.

And when he'd expressed doubts, she'd argued that she was more than capable of taking care of herself.

He knew he'd have to learn to trust her. Hermione was quite independent and wouldn't take kindly to him wanting her under surveillance at all times.

He felt someone coming up behind him and they placed their hands over his eyes. "Oooooh, Janie..."

"Not Janie," Monique purred in his ears.

Harry jerked up so fast he spilled his beer. "Monique!"

She was wearing a black string bikini and she winked at him as she sat down on the chaise lounge beside him. "Mind if I sit down?"

"Uh... no that's fine," Harry gulped. He was in love with Hermione, but he couldn't deny that Monique was one hell of a beautiful woman.

She grinned seductively at him as she stretched out on the chair.

"How are you?" he asked awkwardly.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Monique said undoing the straps of her bikini. "I hope you don't mind...I don't want tan lines..."

"It's fine," Harry averted his eyes.

Monique smiled at him. "Where is your lovely wife today?"

"Shopping," Harry lied. "She's not satisfied with the gifts we're bringing back, so she's gone to get more."

Monique turned toward him exposing more of her cleavage. "I know what it's like to not be satisfied..."

Harry reached for what was left of his beer. "Right," he grunted, downing it quickly.

"You could help if you wanted," Monique whispered conspiratorially. "I won't tell if you won't..."

"Help?" Harry asked.

"Satisfy me," Monique said in a husky voice.

Harry's eyes widened. "Monique--"

"It'll be our little secret," Monique said. "I've seen you looking at me and you must know how attracted to you I am..."

"I... think you're very beautiful," Harry said. "But I'm married. And there's no one who could get me to cheat on Janie."

"If you're worried about Antonin, don't," Monique told him. "He shags who he wants. I shag who I want. And right now, I want you."

If he had met Monique a year ago, he'd have already been headed back to her room. As it was, Hermione flashed behind his eyes and he knew there wouldn't be any other woman but her in his life from then on. "I'm sorry," he shook his head.

Monique frowned. "You'll change your mind, James."

"I don't think so," Harry replied.

"You will," Monique said smugly. "And when you do, I'll be ready."

Harry reached down and grabbed his shirt. "I think I'll go back to my room now," he said.

"Go and take your cold shower," Monique said putting on her sunglasses.

"Don't' need one," Harry replied. "I'll see you around, Monique."

"Laters," she said waving at him.

Harry slung his shirt over his shoulder as he headed back or the cottage. He wondered if Hermione was back yet from her mission.

He was also second-guessing his actions. He probably should have stayed there for a little longer to see if Monique would give up any additional information.

It felt weird now to have another woman hit on him. He'd need to remember not to let that bother him for future assignments.

Hermione was in the cottage when he returned. She was chatting on her mobile with someone. "Lupin," she mouthed to him.

Harry nodded and moved to see what she'd found out.

"...meeting with someone tonight after his poker match," Hermione was saying. "I think it's the person who is putting up the money for this big thing they're planning..."

Harry's ears perked up at that.

"Yes, Harry's been invited to it," Hermione told Lupin. "I'm going to snoop around and see what I can find out. Gradwell never plays in the games so I was going to tail him..."

"That's a good idea," Lupin told her. "I'm quite pleased with this new information, Hermione."

Hermione beamed. "Thanks, Remus. I'm---that is we---are really determined to solve this case."

Remus chuckled, and Harry nearly fell over at the sound. "I'll talk to you both after the game tonight then."

Hermione hung up and looked at Harry. "Sorry about that..."

"So you can't wait to solve this?" Harry teased her. "I see how it is."

Hermione swatted at him. "Give me a break. I'm trying to prove myself. You don't have to because you're you...but this is my first big case."

"And you're doing great," Harry told her. "Trust me, if you can get a compliment from Lupin, you're good for life."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I hope so. So, what have you been up to?"

Harry decided not to tell her about Monique hitting on him. "Nothing really," he replied. "I was out by the pool for a little bit then decided to come back here."

"Taking it easy, were you?" Hermione teased.

Harry poked her side. "So you found out Dolohov's meeting with his benefactor again?"

"Tonight," Hermione told him. "Apparently, Dolohov and Gradwell don't think that much of him."

"Really," Harry said. "What did they say?"

"Well, it's more like what they didn't say," Hermione replied. "They kept talking about what an idiot this person was and how he seems to think he's in charge but that once this is all said and done, they're going to be back in charge...or something like that."

"Hm," Harry said thoughtfully. "I'll see what I can do to tag along tonight after the game and find out who this is."

"I don't know if they'll let you go along," Hermione said. "How do you think you'll manage that?"

"After the game is over, I'll pretend to be pissed about losing again and say I'm headed back here," Harry told her. "I'll follow them."

"Just be careful," Hermione said.

"I will," Harry replied, giving her a kiss.

"I love you," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder. "And I don't want anything to take you away from me after all that we've done to get back to this."

"Nothing's going to do that," Harry wrapped his arms around her.

"I called my mum and dad earlier," Hermione told him.

"You did?" Harry asked. "How are they?"

"They're fine," Hermione said. "Until I told them that I was engaged..."

Harry gulped. "They hate me now, don't' they?"

Hermione laughed. "No, silly. They were fine until I told them that we were engaged and then they were ecstatic."

Harry poked her side again. "Very funny, Granger."

"They already love you," Hermione reassured him.

"Like you do," Harry swung her around.

Hermione giggled. "Harry!"

"Come on, I passed the parent exam," Harry laughed. "I have reason to celebrate."

"Now if we can only get past Lupin, we'll be in the clear," Hermione said.

"We're going to crack this case wide open," Harry said. "And soon at that. Lupin will have no choice but to let us be."

"And I keep telling myself that he can't really say anything since he's with Tonks," Hermione said.

"Sirius always takes great pleasure in reminding him of that," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione laughed. "I like Sirius."

"He likes you too," Harry nuzzled her neck.

"I have an idea," Hermione said closing her eyes.

"Do tell," Harry answered.

"How about you go and start the shower," Hermione suggested. "And I'll join you..."

Harry grinned. "I like this idea..."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I'll be right in...I just want to check in with Lavender. She left me a voice mail."

"I'll be waiting," Harry pressed his lips to hers.

Hermione picked up her mobile again and dialled her home number. Lavender didn't pick up and Hermione left a message. She was about to join her fiancé in the bathroom when there was a knock on the door.