Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This should be a really big treat for you guys---an extra long chapter. There really wasn't a good place to cut this one so we're posting the whole chapter---and it's completely H/Hr. We hope you enjoy!

The next morning, Hermione awoke to an empty bed. She was a little disoriented and the events of last night slowly came back to her. She didn't have too long to reflect on them though as she heard Dolohov's voice. He couldn't be here...could he?

"Harry," Hermione called. "Harry!"

He hurried back into the bedroom, clad in only his pyjama bottoms. "What's wrong?"

"Dolohov," Hermione said. "Can't you hear him?"

Harry nodded. "I've been listening to the wanker since half past six this morning. Remember, the bug we planted?"

"Right," Hermione nodded. She pushed back the covers and reached for her robe. "Anything good yet? Why didn't you wake me?"

"Nothing good so far," Harry said smiling at her. "And I didn't wake you because you looked so peaceful..."

Hermione smiled back. She leaned over and gave him a chaste kiss. "Good morning."

"Good morning," Harry said. "There's fresh coffee and juice out there and some pastries. Say what you want about Dolohov, but his staff sure knows how to cook."

Hermione nodded. "This place would be paradise if we were really on our honeymoon."

"I'll take you somewhere nicer," Harry promised. "On a proper holiday."

Hermione smiled again as she poured herself some coffee.

Harry filled her in on what had gone on so far with Dolohov. "Mostly he's gone over some purchasing orders with the staff. Legit things, for the most part."

Hermione nodded. "And this is being transmitted back to the Ministry as well?"

"I'm sure some minion at the Ministry is just as bored as I am listening to this," Harry said.

Hermione sat down and began to nibble at a pastry. "I was thinking if he asks you to play poker, you should go- but only for a little while. And make sure you lose the first few games. Dolohov seems like the type who would invite you back if you lose some money."

Harry nodded in agreement. "I hate to lose, but if it's for the case..."

Hermione grinned. "I'll make it worth your while."

Harry grinned. "I'm intrigued."

Hermione opened her mouth to respond when Dolohov started talking about guests.

"...make up some excuses....not going to spend my day playing that horrible Muggle sport with those people..."

"Could be good for business, boss," another gruff voice said. "The bloke is in the oil business, after all..."

"Please," Dolohov snorted. "I'm more interested in our honeymooning couple, the Montgomerys."

"You want me to try and get in their room again today?" Gradwell asked.

"I don't think you'll be able to," Dolohov replied. "They've got wards on their room, and strong ones at that."

"Think they've got something to hide?" Gradwell asked.

"It does make me wonder," Dolohov replied.

"Their story checked out," Gradwell said. "They seem to be who they say there are. Perhaps we should just let it go."

"Monique seems to think that too," Dolohov said. "In any case, I'll invite him to a poker game tonight. Test his mettle."

"I'd like to test his wife's mettle," Gradwell said lasciviously

Hermione clenched her fists in disgust. Harry put a reassuring hand on her arm. "I wouldn't let them touch you," he said softly.

"I'll castrate them both," Hermione said angrily.

Dolohov was laughing nastily. "You aren't the only one," he replied. "I bet she shags like a little minx."

"No wonder they spend most of their time in their room," Gradwell said laughing as well.

Harry also wore an expression of disgust. "I wish he'd say something fucking worthwhile," he said, still holding onto Hermione's arm.

"Yeah," Hermione said quietly.

Harry could see how upset she was over the two men's remarks. He pulled her close. "I promise," he said. "I promise if those two lay even a finger on you, you won't have a chance to castrate them. I'll do it myself."

Hermione nodded. "I had to put up with crap like that during my training, you know. I just...it's still not easy listening to people talk about me like that."

Harry shook his head. "It's not fair to you."

"No, it's not," Hermione said quietly. "That man makes my skin crawl."

Harry tightened his hold around her shoulders as they listened some more.

"So, tonight's game should be you, Montgomery, Patterson, Graves and Trent," Gradwell was saying. "If we can get Mr. Montgomery away from his wife."

They could hear Dolohov smirk. "I'll ask when I see him today."

"I'll run those numbers on the off-shore accounts," Gradwell said. "I'll have the figures for you later today."

"Good," Dolohov said brusquely. "Have them for me soon."

"I will," Gradwell promised. "Oh, and Monique wanted to see you. She's in the restaurant."

"Fine," Dolohov said. There were a few moments of silence and then the closing of a door.

"I wish we could stay in here and not have to face that pervert," Hermione said after taking a sip of her coffee.

Harry nodded. "Unfortunately, part of being an Auror is shrugging these things off to get the assignment done."

"Easy to say when he and his thug weren't talking about shagging you," Hermione said setting her cup down.

"I've had to deal with things like that too," Harry pointed out. "Guys aren't the only ones who can be vulgar about appearances."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "You have?"

"Sure I have," Harry replied. "When I first got to Vancouver, I had some women treating me like a piece of ass."

"I bet you loved every minute of it," Hermione said. "You told me yourself you took advantage of that more than a few times..."

"Hermione," Harry shook his head. "I'll admit sometimes I enjoyed the attention, but not all the time. You said yourself last night that you enjoyed some of the physical attention you receive."

"I did, didn't I?" Hermione admitted sheepishly. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," he said. "And I know you can handle yourself, but I still won't let Dolohov lay a finger on you. I'll kill him if I have to."

"Hopefully, it won't come to that," Hermione said.

"Hopefully," Harry refilled his coffee cup.

"So, what's on tap for today, Auror Potter?" Hermione asked.

"Obviously a poker game for me," Harry replied.

"You know, I'm pretty good at poker," Hermione said helping getting another pastry.

"You want to try and join his game?" Harry asked.

"Something tells me he wouldn't appreciate a girl at his games," Hermione said. "I was just saying that if you needed some help..."

"Sirius taught me how to play when I was thirteen," Harry sat down on the bed.

"Quite the education you had," Hermione said.

Harry grinned at her.

"Do I want to know what else?" Hermione asked.

"You already do know quite a few things," Harry replied.

"But not all," Hermione said sitting down.

"Not all," Harry nodded. "But most..."

"Do you ever see your aunt and uncle?" Hermione asked. "You don't talk that much about them..."

"This makes me sound horrible, but I don't give one shit what's happened to them," Harry shrugged. "They were horrible to me."

"But your aunt was your mother's sister," Hermione said. "I can't imagine she'd treat her own flesh and blood so horribly..."

"Well she did," Harry said abruptly.

Hermione touched his arm. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too," Harry exhaled. "I just really, really hate them."

"At least you had Sirius," Hermione said. "And you were able to leave them."

"That's probably why I'm still around today," Harry told her. "I think they would have been happy just leaving me shoved under the stairs the rest of my life."

Hermione squeezed his hand. "I shouldn't have brought it up. I was just curious."

"You have every right to know," Harry relaxed. "I mean... if we're going to be together, we should know about each other."

Hermione smiled. "You can ask me about my childhood if you want..."

"I know a lot of it from reading your file before," Harry confessed.

"That's just surface stuff," Hermione said leaning back against the pillows. "I bet you didn't know that I absolutely hated the little girl who lived next door to me."

"Why's that?" Harry asked, scooting back next to her.

"You mean other than the fact that she was a complete cow?" Hermione asked. "Well, she used to mispronounce my name on purpose. Our parents used to make us play together when we were little but all she wanted to do was play dress up."

"You don't strike me as the type to play dress up," Harry commented.

"I wasn't," Hermione said. "All I wanted to do was read. Well, one day, I was around six or seven and I was reading Pride & Prejudice. It was my favourite book and Carrie was upset that I wouldn't play with her. So, she grabs my book and tosses it into the fire."

Harry raised his eyebrows. "That's a rather nasty thing to do."

"I don't ever remember being that angry at a person before," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I was so mad and I guess the magic in me manifested itself somehow and I kind of turned her beautiful blonde hair...green."

Harry began laughing. "What happened after that?"

Hermione laughed, too. "She cried her eyes out and told her parents that I had done it on purpose. Needless to say, she and I never had to play with each other again, thankfully. And that's kind of one of the first things that tipped my parents off that I wasn't like them, so to speak."

"Remind me not to get on your bad side... again." Harry teased her.

"I don't know," Hermione said mussing his hair. "You might look good with green hair. It'd match your eyes."

"Normally match my eyes," Harry said.

"Right," Hermione said resting her head on his shoulder. "I miss those eyes."

"I can't wait to look like myself again," Harry replied.

"Me too," Hermione said.

"I think you look beautiful like this, but you're stunning when you just look like yourself too," Harry said softly.

"You like the bushy hair, then?" Hermione asked looking at him.

"It's you," Harry said simply.

"You always know just the right things to say," Hermione said softly.

Harry grinned at her. "Not always."

"You get them right most of the time," Hermione said. "You're quite charming when you want to be."

Harry suddenly laughed. "I still remember that first time I saw you at the Three Broomsticks- when you were trying to get information out of Krum. I couldn't believe how hot you were."

"That wasn't the first time you saw me," Hermione reminded him. "And that certainly wasn't the everyday me."

"I'll admit it opened my eyes," Harry said. "But after that, I saw how gorgeous you are anyway."

Hermione smiled. "I thought you were arrogant when I first met you."

Harry poked her side. "And now?"

"I still think you're arrogant," Hermione said giggling.

"There could be worse things," Harry set his empty coffee cup down on the nightstand.

"Arrogant as you may be," Hermione said with a grin. "I'm still crazy about you."

"That's good," Harry leaned in and brushed his lips against hers. "Because I'm sort of crazy about you too."

"Just sort of?" Hermione asked as he pulled her into his arms.

"I guess a little more than sort of," Harry replied thoughtfully.

"You can do better than that," Hermione challenged.

"All right," Harry laughed. "You, Hermione Jane, are the most beautiful woman in the world, both inside and out, and I'm the luckiest bloke alive that you feel the same way I do."

"Better," Hermione said smiling at him.

"Last night wasn't a fluke," Harry told her. "I love you Hermione. I'm not going to screw up this time."

"I love you too," Hermione said hugging him.

After holding her close for a few minutes, he reluctantly pulled away. "We should head out soon. I think we should get into Dolohov's office again- after he gets those off shore account numbers. They might relate to the case somehow. And perhaps he's added to that list of dates."

"Right," Hermione said getting to her feet. "I'll just get in the shower then."

Harry wanted nothing more than to ask if he could join her, but didn't want to seem pushy. "I'll shower later," he said instead. "After we hit the beach for awhile."

"Right," Hermione said leaning down and giving him a kiss.

Harry kept her close for a moment. "Don't be long."

"I promise," Hermione said pulling away.

He watched her disappear into the bathroom and quickly got himself ready. He slipped another bug device in his pocket on instinct, thinking it might come in useful later.

There was a knock on the door and Harry turned off the listening devices and stowed them away. He made sure everything else looked okay before going to answer it. To his surprise, he saw Dolohov and Monique staring back at him.

"Morning," he said, covering his shock.

"Yum," Monique said giving him the once-over.

"I beg your pardon?" Harry asked.

"Nothing," Monique said smiling flirtatiously at him.

"I hope we're not interrupting anything," Dolohov said.

"Not yet..." Harry looked behind him to make sure the bathroom door was closed.

"I was hoping you might have changed your mind about tonight's game," Dolohov said.

Harry nodded. "I was thinking I might join you," he said. "I'll check with Janie and let you know later?"

"Antonin told me that she wanted to go shopping," Monique said. "I can show her all the hot spots."

"She might enjoy that," Harry nodded. "I'll talk with her."

"Tonight at eight," Dolohov said to Harry. "My private suite."

Harry nodded. "Shops are open that late?" he asked Monique.

"No, silly," Monique said. "I thought she'd want to go shopping this afternoon."

"Oh," Harry answered. "Of course. Well I'll ask her, and we'll let you know at lunch."

"You do that," Dolohov said giving Harry his most charming smile. "You give my best to your wife."

"I will," Harry resisted the urge to slam the door in the man's face.

"Good-bye, James," Monique said in a husky tone.

"Bye," Harry nodded to her before closing the door.

Hermione came out of the bathroom a few minutes later. "What's wrong?"

"Monique wants to take you shopping," Harry told her. "This afternoon."

"She does?" Hermione asked. "Did they stop by while I was in the shower?"

"They just left," Harry answered. "And I scored an invite to his poker game."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I hate that I missed it."

"You'll have a full afternoon of it," Harry replied. "If you want to go, that is."

"I don't want to, but it would probably be good for the case," Hermione said. "She seems harmless."

"You might have to gossip with her," Harry slid his watch onto his wrist. "Talk about private things. I'm sure she'll want to know about our sex life."

"Which I will be only too happy to tell her about," Hermione said. "I can play the gossiping airhead. I did live with Parvati Patil for a few years."

Harry smiled at her. "All right then."

"So are you going to try and get in Dolohov's office again?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Maybe this afternoon while you're out I'll do it."

"Want to hit the beach?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," Harry nodded.

"Need some help changing into your swim trunks, Jamie?" Hermione purred. Her eyes were twinkling as she looked at him. "See? That sounded like something Parvati would say."

Harry laughed. "You are very, very good."

"Yes, I am," Hermione said. "I'll get my beach bag together while you get changed."

"I'm already changed," Harry replied. "While you were in the shower."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Give me just a minute and then we can head on out."

"Sure," Harry watched her go back into the bedroom.

She returned with a beach bag, loaded with two bottles of water, towels and a magazine. She was wearing a red bikini this time and given what she'd heard Dolohov and Gradwell say about her, she was a little hesitant to show it off.

Harry saw her apprehension. "You look fantastic," he said. "But I won't let them touch you."

"Thanks," Hermione said gratefully. "Let's go."

Harry took her hand, weaving their fingers together as they left the room. He made sure the wards were in place before heading out towards the beach.

"Another beautiful day," Hermione commented.

"Doesn't seem possible there could ever be a bad day here," Harry agreed.

Hermione couldn't have agreed more. Again, she found herself wishing that this was a real holiday.

Harry leaned in to whisper in her ear. "I brought along another listening device. You should take it with you when you go with Monique this afternoon."

Hermione nodded. "I can't wait."

Harry squeezed her hand as they approached the beach. "Where do you want to sit?"

"Doesn't matter," Hermione replied. "You pick."

"Let's go over here," Harry pointed to an area where less people seemed to be sitting. He thought Hermione might like sitting away from where Dolohov would usually walk around and see his guests.

"Sounds good," Hermione said following him.

They set up their chairs and sat back. "I feel sort of bad- like we're sitting out here soaking up the sun while we're supposed to be working," Hermione confessed quietly.

"It's part of the job," Harry reminded her. "And you just finished up 3 years of training. You should be psyched that your first assignment is something like this."

"I am," Hermione told him. "I guess it just seems too easy is all."

"It's going to get harder," Harry said smiling lazily at her.

"At least we're working together," Hermione smiled back.

Harry reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze. "We always made a great team."

Hermione grinned at him then moved her chair closer to his.

"On your little shopping trip, you can pick up some souvenirs for your family and friends," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "Perfect cover," she answered.

"Exactly," Harry said. "And then you can---"

Hermione's mobile phone started to ring and she pulled it out of her bag. "Hello? Michael..."

Harry exhaled, sitting back in the chair.

"I can't tell you where I am," Hermione said. "No...."

"Want me to talk to him?" Harry asked pointedly.

Hermione shook her head. "What do you mean whose voice was that? It's none of your business, Michael..."

Harry saw Dolohov and Gradwell emerge from the hotel. "Janie," he hissed.

"I have to go," Hermione said hastily and clicked off the phone. She threw it back into her bag. "Sorry."

"Why does he ring you every day?" Harry asked.

"He...he wants me back," Hermione replied.

Harry stared at her wordlessly.

"Are you jealous?" Hermione asked him with a grin.

"Of course not," Harry lied. "You're with me now... I have nothing to worry about."

"That's right," Hermione said. "You don't, but its okay to admit if you were jealous..."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I don't get jealous."

"Viktor Krum," Hermione muttered.

"He was a wanker who tried to drug you," Harry pointed out.

"There was that, yes," Hermione admitted. "But before we knew all that, you---were jealous. Textbook jealous."

"He was putting his hands all over you," Harry said.

"And you didn't like it one bit," Hermione said softly.

"Maybe not," Harry shrugged.

"Maybe me arse," Hermione said. "You were jealous just as I was jealous when that tart showed up at The Three Broomsticks and snogged you."

"Mel was not a tart," Harry said. "She's one of the better female Aurors we have."

"The very same 'Mel' who was the first girl you'd ever shagged," Hermione said.

"Now who's the jealous one?" Harry asked with a smirk.

"I admitted I was," Hermione said.

"I guess I was too then," Harry replied. "Especially that first night."

Hermione grinned. "Yes you were."

Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss. "But like I said, I have no reason to be anymore."

"It's always been you," Hermione whispered.

Harry kissed her again. "Why do you think I never settled down with anyone else?"

"Because you enjoy living the life of a bachelor," Hermione said simply. "You never wanted to be tied down."

"You're the only one that makes me feel that way," Harry told her.

"Tied down?" Hermione asked.

"Hardly tied down," Harry said softly. "I love you."

Hermione smiled at him. She loved the way he said those three little words now. Back when they'd first started, he hadn't wanted to say it. Something had been holding him back. But, now there were no doubts or insecurities. This was real.

"Waiting is going to be pure torture," Hermione commented.

"We only have about two weeks," Harry reached for her hand again. "Then we can be ourselves again."

Hermione nodded. "Doesn't make it any easier."

"We'll get through it," Harry said. "Dolohov's coming," he said, his voice lowering.

Hermione groaned. "Right." She wanted to reach for her sarong, but knew that wouldn't look good. Harry squeezed her hand for support.

"Hello," Harry greeted him. "Guess I'll be joining you for that game later."

Dolohov smiled. "That's certainly good news, James."

Hermione cringed inwardly as Dolohov looked over at her. "Please tell Monique I'd love to shop with her this afternoon," she said in as pleasant a voice as she could manage. "I do need to buy some souvenirs."

"She's looking forward to it," Dolohov said. "Just make sure she goes easy on my credit cards."

"Mine too," Harry looked over at Hermione.

Hermione giggled. "James, you said just ten minutes ago that I could get whatever my heart desired."

"Only if I don't go broke for it," Harry joked back.

"I'm sure she'd have a quite a ways to go before she did that," Dolohov said with a grin.

"I'm sure I won't be too bad," Hermione drew her legs up as Dolohov moved his eyes over her body.

"If you'll excuse us, Mr. Dolohov," Harry said standing up. "My wife and I were going to get a drink."

"Of course," Dolohov stood back. "I'll make sure the bar knows you're coming. Drinks are on the house."

"Thank you," Hermione said forcing a smile. Harry put an arm around her and together they set off toward the outdoor bar.

"He makes me feel so damn dirty," Hermione tied her sarong around her waist.

"He keeps looking at you like that and he won't be looking at anything but the sight of my fist coming at his face," Harry said angrily.

She sighed. "Well... I guess like you said... we have to deal with this for the sake of the assignment."

"All part of the job," Harry said. "At least that's what I keep telling myself."

Hermione slid her own arm around his waist. "We can make the best of it."

"We can," Harry said looking sideways at her.

She leaned over and kissed him again. "Come on. We're owed a free drink."

"That's the least the wanker can provide for us," Harry said

"The very least," Hermione agreed. "I'll have to think of things to talk about with Monique later, aside from all the so called gossip."

"See what you can find out about her relationship with him," Harry suggested.

"Good idea," Hermione nodded.

They stopped talking about the case as they approached the bar. Harry snaked his arm around Hermione's waist as they waited for the bartender.

"Mr. Dolohov has phoned ahead and told us your drinks are free," a bartender came over. "What'll it be?"

"Pina colada please," Hermione leaned against Harry.

"Rum and coke," Harry said before planting a kiss on Hermione's bare shoulder.

"Coming right up," the bartender winked at Hermione.

"Everyone's wondering what someone like you is doing with someone like me," Harry said against her skin.

"What?" Hermione asked. "Why would anyone ask that?"

"Because you are the most beautiful woman on this island," Harry said simply.

Hermione felt herself blush deeply. "James..." she said softly.

"Yes, my Janie?" Harry asked.

"You're so sweet," she smiled at him.

"I have a lot to make up for," Harry whispered.

"You already have," Hermione answered softly.

The bartender came back with their drinks. "Enjoy."

"Thank you," Hermione sipped her pina colada. "This is delicious."

"If I can get you anything else, let me know," the bartender said before moving on to tend to the other guests.

"Want to try?" Hermione offered her drink to Harry.

Harry took the glass. "You can try mine too, if you'd like."

"Sure," Hermione grinned as they switched cups. "Not bad, but I like mine better."

Harry laughed. "Fair enough. So, you going to buy me anything on your shopping trip?"

"Oh maybe," Hermione smiled secretively at him.

"Something that I could...you know...help take off at some point," Harry said his eyes darkening.

"If I see something," she said coyly.

Harry ran his hand up her thigh. "I don't know if I want to wait...."

Hermione felt herself growing hot, and she knew it had nothing to do with the scorching sun overhead.

"You're still you," Harry whispered leaning in. "And I'm still me...I just look...a little different..."

"I know," she said softly. "It's still you in there...."

"Let's get our stuff," Harry said looking intently at her. "And go back to ours..."

She wanted that so, so badly. "But James..." she said softly."The assignment..."

"Yeah," Harry said with a sigh. "The assignment."

"Soon," she assured him.

Harry drained the rest of the glass. "Patience..."

"I promise it'll be worth it," Hermione gave him a kiss.

"It's the memory of it that's doing me in," Harry mumbled.

She was quite tempted to give in, but something held her back- and she wasn't quite sure what it was.

They spent the rest of their day on the beach, playing the loving couple. Hermione read for a bit and Harry went for a swim. They returned to their cottage after having a quick lunch. Hermione retired to the bathroom to get ready for her shopping trip.

"I'm not sure what to wear," she said. "I need something with a pocket so I can wear one of those transmitters. And you're going to place another one in Dolohov's office right?"

Harry pulled off his t-shirt. "Wear some shorts," he suggested. "You can slip the bug into the pocket."

"Right," Hermione opened a dresser drawer.

"She seems pretty harmless and she probably is," Harry said thoughtfully. "But just be careful."

"I will," Hermione nodded. "You too. Don't let Dolohov catch you in that office."

"I won't," Harry promised.

Hermione twisted her hair up behind her head. "I should get going."

"Okay," Harry said. "I'm going to take a shower and then I'll probably head on over to Dolohov's. Have fun being all girly."

Hermione smiled. "I love you," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Harry held her close. She loved him, but he knew she still wasn't sure she could trust him. "I love you too."

She pressed her lips to his briefly. "I'll see you in a few hours."

"Okay," Harry said smiling at her.

She kissed him again before slipping the transmitter in her pocket and heading for the main building.

The woman at the front desk directed her to Dolohov's suite of rooms. Hermione hoped that Dolohov would be long gone when she arrived.

She hesitantly knocked on the door of what looked to be like quite the lavish living quarters.

To her great relief, Monique opened the door. "Janie."

"Hello Monique," Hermione greeted her. "Thank you for inviting me to shop."

"You're quite welcome," Monique said motioning for Hermione to come inside. "That's certainly an interesting outfit...shorts..."

"Oh," Hermione took the other woman's slinky sundress in. "Well... it's pretty hot and--"

Monique laughed. "Well, let me just get my bag and we can go..."

"Right," Hermione nodded, feeling incredibly out of place next to her.

Monique returned a few moments later. "Antonin has arranged for a car."

"How lovely," Hermione nodded. "Will we be heading back to the main island?"

Monique nodded. "Yes." Her eyes fell on the diamond on Hermione's hand. "Wow...that's gorgeous."

Hermione glanced at the ring- she'd forgotten she even had it on. "James spoils me a bit." she confessed.

Monique seemed to perk up at the mention of James. "Well done."

Hermione nodded. "Shall we?"

Monique tossed her hair over shoulder and led the way out of the suite. "You'll have to tell me about that husband of yours."

"He's an amazing bloke," Hermione prepared herself to dish. "We've been together a long time."

"Where did you two meet?" Monique asked.

"School," Hermione remembered their back story they had come up with. "We dated throughout school."

Monique grinned. "Childhood sweethearts."

Hermione smiled too. "He's really the only guy I was ever with."

The driver opened the car door for them and Monique allowed Hermione to get in first.

"The only one?" Monique asked. "Wow...so you never...with anyone else?"

Hermione shook her head. "James was it for me."

"You weren't one of those girls, who waited until she got married, were you?" Monique asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No... James and I didn't wait."

Monique let out a sigh of relief. "I don't see how any woman would be able to deprive herself with a man like that around. He's really something..."

"He's very devoted," Hermione nodded.

Monique looked mischievously at Hermione. "The big question is ...how is he?"

Hermione's cheeks tinged red. She knew this question had been coming but didn't quite know how to answer it. "Well... it's not like I have anyone to compare him to..."

"It must be good though," Monique prodded. "I mean, you two have been holed up in that room, right?"

"Well it is our honeymoon," Hermione pointed out.

Monique giggled. "You two have to be going at it like rabbits."

Hermione realised she'd have to be a little more forthcoming. "I suppose," she smiled.

"Now we're talking," Monique said grinning at her. "But you know...just because you've only been with him, I wouldn't be so sure he hasn't been with anyone else. It's different for guys."

"He had one other girlfriend," Hermione replied. "It was during a time when we had broken up for a short period."

"I don't imagine they just went out for dinners and to the movies," Monique commented.

"They slept together," Hermione nodded. "Just once. We realised not long after that we wanted to get back together."

"Did you know her?" Monique asked eagerly.

Hermione shook her head. "She went to a different school."

"Oh," Monique said, obviously disappointed that it wasn't anything more scandalous.

"What about you and Mr. Dolohov?" Hermione asked. "Where did you two meet?"

"I was down here on a trip with a couple of my friends and after meeting Antonin, I never wanted to leave," Monique replied.

"Love at first sight?" Hermione asked.

Monique laughed. "Hardly!"

"It must have been for you to decide to just up and leave to stay here," Hermione pressed.

"You're so naive," Monique said patting her arm. "I don't love Antonin. I care about him and he does keep me in a lifestyle that I've grown quite accustomed too."

Hermione shook her head. "I guess I just couldn't imagine staying with someone I didn't love."

"Antonin doesn't love me either, Janie," Monique said. "He thinks of me as arm candy which is fine by me because I'm getting something out of it. Not everyone can have what you have with James."

"I suppose you're right," Hermione replied. "And being the mistress of a resort like this one..."

"Makes it all seem worthwhile," Monique finished.

"I'd have to agree," Hermione said. "This place is paradise."

"Antonin has really turned that resort around," Monique said proudly. "It's the best one on the island, in my opinion."

"Are there many others like it?" Hermione asked. "What makes his stand apart from the rest?"

"He's just really great with finance and money," Monique said loftily. "And he was able to use his expertise to turn it into the place you see today. He tries to make his guests feel like they're royalty and so he goes above and beyond to provide the things he does. He really, really knows what he's doing."

"He's definitely treated us quite well since we've arrived," Hermione decided to lay it on a little thicker. "I mean, coming around while we're on the beach to make sure things are to our liking, sending word to the bar to give us a free round of drinks- breakfast in our room in the mornings... it's really service you can't beat."

Monique nodded. "He's a little nicer to those he knows are on his level."

"On his level?" Hermione asked.

"Wealthy," Monique explained.

"Oh," Hermione nodded.

"But don't you dare tell him I told you that," Monique said. "He likes everyone to feel the same, but he does try and treat the wealthier people with a little more...what is the word I'm looking for?"

"Care?" Hermione supplied.

"Perfect," Monique said smiling at her. "You're pretty smart."

Hermione smiled back. "So where did Mr. Dolohov get the money to keep this resort running like he does?" she inquired.

"Well, I'm not really sure of the specifics, but he has a number of investors," Monique told her. "It's all pretty boring, if you ask me."

She realised she had to downplay her interest a bit. "My father worked in finance," she said. "So I suppose all that runs in the family a bit."

Monique gave a dramatic yawn. "Boring, boring, boring."

"Sorry," Hermione apologised.

"It's okay," Monique reassured her. "I just don't care about the specifics. As long as I have money, why do I care where it came from?"

"I guess I'm lucky in that aspect," Hermione replied. "James comes from money. He even told me I didn't have to work if I didn't want to, but I suppose I'm one of those modern girls who have to have a job. I get too bored otherwise."

"Better you than me," Monique said with a laugh. "But you hit the jackpot, Janie. I hope you realise that."

"I certainly did," Hermione thought of Harry.

The car stopped and Monique grinned. "We're going to spend a lot of money, Janie."

"I do have the credit cards," Hermione joked.

"Now you're talking," Monique said happily.

Meanwhile, back at the hotel, Harry was trying to act as casual as possible as he headed towards Dolohov's offices.

He'd seen Dolohov and Gradwell down at the beach so he figured he'd have some time to look around.

Looking around, he slid into the dark room and quickly placed a ward on the door to alert him should anyone approach.

The office looked the same as it had the other day, but appearances could be deceiving. He wanted to see if there was anything more to go on concerning the Minister for Magic and why Dolohov would be concerned with his comings and goings.

Opening the desk drawer, he looked carefully through the papers he found there. He recognised the same sheet that had the dates and times, only now more had been added to the list.

He took a few snaps with his pocket camera of the papers. As soon as he put them back, his eye caught sight of some photographs.

"What the..." Harry muttered as he sifted through them.

There were pictures of some of the female guests out by the pool, on the beach. Harry felt a surge of anger as he caught sight of one photograph of Hermione in that blue bikini she'd worn the day before.

"You fucking bastard," he hissed, wanting to crumple the photograph in his hand. He found a few more near the back of the stack and his anger escalated even higher.

He was supposed to sit with this man tonight and play poker knowing that he had secret photographs of Hermione.

Harry forced himself to calm down- one of his first Auror lessons with Sirius was how to tone in his wandless magic. He stuffed the photographs back into the drawer and turned towards some of the file cabinets near the back. He hoped to find some more ledgers finding out where Dolohov was getting his money from.

He wished Hermione were here to interpret some of these numbers. He supposed the few photos he took of the latest entries could help.

Harry had just put the ledger back into the cabinet when the ward alerted him that someone was nearby. "Shit!" he said, looking around for a place to hide.

He managed to stow away in the closet before Dolohov walked into the room.

Harry crouched down and tried to stay as silent as possible as Dolohov picked up the phone.

Dolohov punched some numbers into the keypad. "Macnair, where the hell have you been?" Dolohov barked.

"Macnair," Harry whispered. The man was a notorious Death Eater- one Harry had thought to still be locked away in Azkaban.

"I don't give a fuck about your excuses!" Dolohov snapped. "DO YOU HAVE MY INFORMATION?"

Harry wished he could hear the other end of the conversation.

"...you're useless, Macnair. The Dark Lord knew it and I can't believe I thought to give you another chance," Dolohov hissed.

Harry watched through the crack in the door as Dolohov's expression grew even angrier. "You will get this done," he seethed. "If you don't, it will be YOUR HEAD on the chopping block!" he slammed the phone down.

"Incompetence," Dolohov muttered. "All around me."

Harry hoped the transmitter he'd brought picked up every word. Soon as he got back to the room he planned on ringing Sirius to talk about this.

Harry watched in disgust as Dolohov picked up the photographs and thumbed through them.

"You fucking bastard," he hissed.

It took every ounce of self-restraint Harry possessed not to throw open the door and pummel Dolohov to the ground.

He was glad he didn't have to wait long for Dolohov to leave the room again. Harry crept out from the closet and left the office, heading back to their room quickly.

He closed the door to the room and nearly had a heart attack when someone tapped him on the shoulder.

"James Montgomery," Sirius said grinning at him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Harry shouted.

"Lovely to see you too," Sirius said dryly.

"I was just going to ring you," Harry said, calming down. "I just found out Dolohov is in league with Macnair."

"The previous Minister saw fit to pardon him before he left office," Sirius said shaking his head. "I'm not surprised he hooked back up with Dolohov."

Harry shook his head. "Hermione's out with Dolohov's girlfriend trying to find out stuff from her. I was just in his office again."

"Find out anything?" Sirius asked.

"That list of dates- he's added to it." Harry told him. "And his ledgers are different. I took pictures."

"I'll have Remus take a look at them," Sirius said. "You and Hermione have done a great job so far."

Harry gave him a look. "Remus said that?"

"Among other things," Sirius replied. "He still thinks that you and Hermione are concentrating more on each other than this case."

"We're doing our best," Harry snapped.

"I know that," Sirius reassured him. "And Moony knows it too. He just has to have something to nag about."

Harry relaxed. "Sorry," he ran his hands through his hair.

"And since the nag isn't here, how about you tell me how things are going between you two?" Sirius asked. "Better than the last time we spoke?"

Harry finally cracked a smile. "Yeah," he nodded. "Things are great, actually."

Sirius grinned. "So...."

"I told her I still loved her," Harry replied. "And she still loves me too."

"Any idiot could see that," Sirius said dryly.

"I don't quite think she trusts me still," Harry admitted.

"Can't say as I blame her," Sirius said thoughtfully. "She fell for you and had her heart broken. She's scared."

"I'm working on getting her to trust me again," Harry replied. "It's just... I can't make it my top priority right now."

"You'll have time to figure it out after this case," Sirius told him.

"Right," Harry nodded.

"She's good for you, Harry," Sirius commented. "And you're good for her."

"She's amazing," Harry replied. "I'm not going to fuck it up this time."

Sirius clapped him on the back. "Good to hear."

"What else did Remus send you here for?" Harry asked,

"Just to check in," Sirius replied. "See how things were going; if you needed anything..."

"I think we're all right," Harry said. "I've got two transmitters in his office now."

"Good," Sirius said nodding. "And you're playing cards with him tonight, then?"

Harry nodded. "Hermione thinks I should lose miserably tonight."

"Hermione's right," Sirius said thoughtfully. "Losing will endear you to him and there's nothing he likes more than winning and taking money..."

"And I expect to be reimbursed," Harry said with a grin.

"Of course," Sirius said with a laugh. "I'll let Remus know."

"I'm sure he'll love that," Harry replied. "How long can you stay, old man?"

Sirius produced a pack of cards from his pocket. "Long enough to give you some practise."

"At losing?" Harry cracked. "I remember you were good at that."

"Okay, okay," Sirius said. "How about you get us both a beer and we get to work on that..."

"Sure," Harry headed for the minibar in the corner of the room.

For the next couple of hours, they played cards and talked about the specifics of the case. It was nearly seven when Hermione came back into the room.

"James?"

"In here!" Harry called out.

Hermione closed the door behind her and set her bags down. She was surprised to see Sirius with Harry.

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked giving him a big hug.

"Just checking in," Sirius kissed her on the cheek. "And teaching this wanker how to play a little poker."

"It shouldn't be that hard for him to pretend to be bad then," Hermione said.

Harry laughed at the expression on Sirius's face. "She got you old man."

Sirius grinned. "Fair enough. So how was your little shopping excursion?"

"Good," Hermione nodded. She told them some of the things Monique had confided to her.

"Anything else?" Sirius asked her. "Anything specific about what Dolohov's plans are?"

Hermione shook her head. "Every time I tried to approach the subject, she would either change it or play dumb."

"Keep at it," Sirius told her. "She'll say something soon."

"I will," Hermione promised.

"And I think I'll quit while I'm ahead," Sirius said. "Let me know how the game goes tonight, Harry."

"I'll ring you," Harry replied.

Sirius gave them both a cheeky grin before Apparating.

"So, did you buy anything?" Harry asked her.

"A few things," Hermione answered.

"Such as?"

Hermione sent him a grin. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Yes I would actually," Harry said grinning at her as he stood up.

Hermione's heart beat faster as he came close. Monique had had plenty to say about Harry's physique and it had made her wonder what she was waiting for. She loved him, and she knew he wasn't lying when he said he loved her.

"Did you get anything for me?" Harry asked reaching for her.

She laughed as he pulled her close. "I may have," she teased.

"You know what you playing coy does to me," Harry said softly.

Hermione looped her arms around his neck. "Well... if you play your cards right- no pun intended- you might get to see what I bought later."

"Do I get a hint?" Harry asked leaning in.

She brushed her lips against his. "It doesn't leave much to the imagination..."

"Well," Harry said. "I do have quite the imagination..."

"I knew that," Hermione closed her eyes as he rested his forehead on hers.

He wondered if he should tell her about the photographs he'd found in Dolohov's office. Just the thought of that wanker having any thoughts toward Hermione made Harry angry. But, he didn't want to spoil the moment.

"I can't wait," Harry said softly. "For everything."

"Part of me can't wait for this case to be over," Hermione whispered. "So we can be ourselves and be together."

"And the other part of you?" Harry asked.

"Is really, really enjoying being here," she confessed.

"And isn't so sure she trusts the fact that I'm not going to leave again?" Harry guessed.

"I've been thinking about that today," Hermione told him. "And I do trust you Harry. I know it may not seem that way, but I do. You said you won't leave me."

"But---"

"And I believe you when you say you won't leave me," she interrupted.

"Good," Harry said giving her a kiss. "Because I'm not going anywhere."

Hermione smiled at him. "Me either."

"You might get bored with me," Harry said. "Having me around might not be all that it's cracked up to be."

"I already knew that," Hermione grinned at him.

"Rosmerta's moved into Grimmauld Place with Sirius," Harry told her. "And I was thinking I might get my own place."

"Really?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "And you know...I have never lived on my own...do you think...Neville might need a flatmate?"

Hermione looked visibly let down at his question. "I don't know," she said, looking away. "You'd have to ask him."

Harry tilted her chin up. "Maybe I will, if you turn me down. What would you say about you and me getting our own place?"

Sudden tears filled her eyes, and she wasn't sure why. "You'd really want to do that?"

"Well you do like to nag me and you have this annoying habit of always being right," Harry said. "But given all that, I'd be willing to put up with it if it meant waking up with you every morning."

Hermione laughed. "You can be pretty insufferable too, Harry James. But it would be worth it, for us to be together."

Harry kissed her. "So you'll take me on then?"

"I might be up for the task," she grinned at him.

Harry held her close. "I love you."

"I love you too," Hermione buried her face in his shoulder.

"Remus will have plenty to say about this," Harry said. "But he's married to a fellow Auror too, so it'd be a pot kettle issue."

"We'll make it work," Hermione said with confidence. "We have to."

"We will," Harry agreed. "Now...how about you show me the souvenirs you bought?"

"I can show you those," Hermione reached for one of her bags. "I got these for my parents..."

"You bought them books?" Harry asked.

"They're books about the island," Hermione said. "And my parents love history."

"I wonder how your folks will feel about the fact that the last book I read was a training manual," Harry said thumbing through one of the books. "Or that I couldn't tell you the last time I stepped foot in a museum or went to an art gallery..."

"We can change that," Hermione replied. "I got this for Lavender..." she pulled out shirt that was designed to look like it was half cut apart.

"Talk about not leaving anything to the imagination," Harry said looking at the shirt. "Um, Hermione? I don't plan on going to museums or art galleries. You know that, right?"

"Come on," Hermione said. "They're not so bad. And it's not like I'd drag you to one every weekend. Once in awhile, they're rather fun."

"Did that bloke Mickey like them?" Harry asked.

"Michael?" Hermione asked. "Some of them."

"Your folks must have liked him," Harry commented.

"Actually... I don't think they knew him very well. Believe it or not, they took more to you that night we went out more than any other bloke I've brought home." Hermione told him.

Harry grinned. "Really?"

"Amazing but true," Hermione shook her head.

"Next time Mickey calls, I'll tell him that," Harry said handing Hermione back the shirt.

Hermione stuck it back in the bag. "I hope he doesn't call again."

"If he does, let me have the phone," Harry told her. "I'll tell him to go---"

"Stop being jealous," Hermione kissed him.

"I'm not being jealous," Harry said defensively.

"Yes you are," Hermione said. "And it's adorable."

"I just don't like the idea of you being with someone else," Harry tried to explain.

"I'm not fond of thinking about you with those other girls," Hermione pointed out.

"I should just tell myself that's in the past," Harry said. "You're with me. We're back together. No one else matters."

"That's right," Hermione put her arms around him again. "We should get ready for dinner. I'm famished."

"Me too," Harry said nuzzling her neck.

"And then you have your card game," Hermione closed her eyes.

"Mmmhmmm," Harry murmured.

"You have to go," Hermione said. "I wish you didn't..."

"You going to wait up for me?" Harry whispered.

"I'm going to try," she said.

"Just don't go out and about," Harry told her. "And don't look at me like that."

"Like what?" Hermione asked.

"I thought you were going to argue with me," Harry said. "I know you're more than capable of handling yourself, Hermione. I'd just be able to concentrate on the game tonight if I knew that you were safe in here."

"I have no plans to run about the resort," Hermione told him. "I'm going to stay in here, perhaps watch some telly, or do some reading."

"Thank you," Harry said smiling at her.

"Don't you worry about your wife, James Montgomery," Hermione leaned in and kissed him.

"I'll try," Harry promised.

"And you go lose miserably so our target will like you," Hermione said wryly.

"That's what I live for," Harry said sarcastically. "Being his best mate."

"You'll do fine," Hermione reassured him. "Just play... badly."

Harry nodded. "Let's get this over with. We'll go and have dinner and then I'll go to Dolohov's."

"Right," Hermione nodded. "Let me just go change."

"Need any help?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Naughty," Hermione replied in a coy tone.

"Can't blame a bloke for trying," Harry called after her.

"Soon," she promised, looking over her shoulder.

"You are torturing me, Granger," Harry said dramatically. "Torture."

She smiled at him before heading into the loo.

Harry sank back onto the bed and hoped he'd be able to make it the rest of the case. He wasn't so sure he'd able to make it the rest of the night.