Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This is a bit of a short chapter. After this, there will be one more chapter and that will be the end of the Hogwarts/Cayman Undercover Universe. We hope that you have enjoyed it!

"I beg your pardon?" the man asked taken aback.

"Pettigrew," Harry snarled, unable to contain his anger.

"James!" Hermione called out hurrying to get back to him.

"J-James?" Pettigrew stammered.

Harry's eyes blazed as he jabbed his wand at the shaking man.

"L-let me go!" Pettigrew said in a high voice. "Please---I'm just a guest here!"

"James!" Hermione reached for Harry's arm. "What's gotten into you?"

"This man is the reason my parents are dead," Harry said through clenched teeth. "I'd recognise him anywhere."

"Harry," Pettigrew said shaking uncontrollably now. "You've---"

"Going to kill you," Harry reached for his throat.

"No, Harry!" Hermione tried to reason with him.

"How dare you even show your face?" Harry snarled. "I'm going to take you in and have you thrown in Azkaban."

"I was your father's best friend," Peter said grasping Harry's arm.

"And you fucking betrayed him," Harry grabbed his shirt. "I'm taking you in. Now."

Pettigrew looked at Hermione. "Please, you can't let him do this!"

"You killed his parents?" Hermione looked at the round man in disgust.

Pettigrew shook his head. "No! It wasn't me!"

Harry yanked him along. "You're going away forever."

"Please!" Pettigrew pleaded.

Harry ignored his pleas and continued to drag him along, Hermione hurrying behind him.

"Harry, we should notify Sirius and Remus," Hermione called out to him. "Immediately."

But, Harry didn't hear her. It was taking everything he had not to kill Pettigrew on the spot.

They were almost back to the cottage when it happened. One moment Harry had Pettigrew by his shirt and the next, the man began to shrink into his animagus form.

"Where'd he go?" Hermione asked.

"FUCK!" Harry shouted. "He's an Animagus! He's turning into a rat!"

Pettigrew's transformation was complete and in rat form, he scurried off down the beach. The darkness didn't help matters and Hermione grabbed Harry's arm. "He's gone, Harry."

Harry let out a frustrated shout. "I need to ring Sirius."

"What was he doing here?" Hermione asked as they walked into the cottage.

"I don't know," Harry said, reaching immediately for the phone. "But I'm sure it's nothing good."

Hermione sat down on the edge of the bed, wishing she could do something to calm Harry down, but she knew that'd be fighting a losing battle.

"Sirius," Harry barked into the phone. "Bad news. Pettigrew's here."

Sirius was silent for a few moments. "That's Peter, for you. I imagine he heard about Dolohov's plan and he wanted in."

"I lost my temper and dragged him back here to bring him in, but he turned into a rat and escaped," Harry paced the room. "He probably ran back to Dolohov. Once he finds out who I am, this whole ruse is over."

"Which means we should get you out of there, but we still need the list," Sirius said thoughtfully.

"Which list?" Harry asked.

"All the evidence you found on Dolohov and his plan," Sirius said. "The list of sponsors behind this. We have to have this, Harry. If the case is going to stick, we have to have it."

"Shit," Harry swore. "I'll go get it. Then we've got to get out of here."

"And those ledgers," Sirius told him.

Harry sighed and hung up. "We have to get the list and the ledgers," he told Hermione. "But we also need to get out of here fast."

"I should go and get those," Hermione volunteered.

"I'll go," Harry replied. "Just... I'll go. I know right where he hid them the last time I was in there while you were out with Monique."

"I suppose I should pack our things," Hermione said, for once not putting up a fight.

"Thank you," Harry said in relief. "Look, if I'm not back in twenty minutes..."

"I'll call for reinforcements like a good little Auror," Hermione finished.

Harry kissed her. "This will all be over with soon."

"I hope so," Hermione said. "Be careful."

"I will," he promised before leaving the room.

Hermione made sure the wards were in place before she started packing.

It didn't take her long to get most of their things and surveillance items back into the suitcases. Checking her watch, she realised Harry had only been gone fifteen minutes.

This was all going to be over soon and they'd be able to start their new life together. They'd put the past behind them and she would get over her insecurities.

There would be no Monique to make her feel inferior, she thought as she gazed at the ring she wore on her hand.

Harry was with her and that was all that mattered. She was the woman he wanted and it didn't matter who he was with when they'd been apart. She'd had boyfriends since they'd broken up.

Hermione flopped back on the bed and resolved to stop thinking. She trusted Harry, and she knew she would get past all these insecurities.

She looked over at the bedside table and realised that Harry had now been gone for over twenty minutes.

She got up and reached for her wand. Hermione also slipped one of the transmitters in her pocket.

She would call for reinforcements if necessary, but chances were that Harry had just taken longer than expected. Perhaps Dolohov was in his office and Harry had to wait him out..

"I'm going," she said to no one.

Meanwhile, back at the main hotel, Harry was hiding in one of the closets in Dolohov's office. The Death Eater had returned unexpectedly before Harry had the chance to get his hands on the ledgers.

"Search every inch of the grounds," Dolohov barked into the phone. "I can't believe what a fool I was!"

Harry nearly groaned in dismay. Dolohov obviously knew what was going on. He only hoped Hermione was able to get out of the room before Dolohov's henchmen got there.

"Bring me the girl too," Dolohov said in a cold voice. "I'll have fun with her before..."

Harry burst out of the closet. "You son of a bitch!" he roared.

Dolohov calmly put the phone down. "I thought that'd bring you out."

"You won't TOUCH her!" Harry's eyes were snapping fire.

"So much like your father," Dolohov commented leaning back in his chair. "I can't believe I didn't recognise the resemblance. He was a fool, too."

Harry wouldn't let Dolohov's insults get to him. "You are under arrest," he stated coldly.

Dolohov chuckled. "Am I?"

"Something tells me you aren't coming back willingly," Harry replied. "Which is fine. I've been waiting for an excuse to smash your face in."

Dolohov rocked back in his chair. "Then what would become of little Mrs. Montgomery? Is that her real name? Peter said he'd never seen her before..."

"You don't need to worry about her," Harry said coldly.

"I'll reassure you that I will take good care of her after you're gone," Dolohov taunted him.

Harry jabbed his wand at Dolohov's throat. "You are under arrest," he repeated. "A team of Aurors will be coming in here soon."

"I haven't seen them in such a long time," Dolohov said calmly. "I hope Sirius Black will be there."

"He might just enjoy taking you down," Harry said coldly.

"Step back, Harry," Dolohov said. "Before I have to do something I'll regret."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "You've already done lots of things," he stated. "You and Fudge will be going to Azkaban- you'll have to tell Bellatrix Lestrange I said hello."

"Well," Dolohov said shoving Harry. "You can tell your mummy and daddy hello soon enough."

Harry went to hit the older man in the face but instead found himself being pushed into the wall by Gradwell.

"Thank you," Dolohov said standing up and dusting himself off. "I was growing tired of his blustering. Have you found the girl?"

Gradwell held on to Harry. "No, sir. She wasn't in their cottage."

"Damn!" Dolohov slammed his fist on the desk. "Find her. Now."

"What should I do with him?" Gradwell asked.

"Knock him out," Dolohov's eyes were hard. "I'll deal with him."

Gradwell looked at Harry. "You heard the man. I apologise in advance, Mr. Potter."

Harry tried to struggle away, but Gradwell was much stronger.

Dolohov watched with a smirk as his henchman drew back his fist and hit Harry hard in the stomach.

Hermione.... Harry thought weakly as black spots danced in front of his eyes.

Harry hunched over and for good measure, Gradwell kicked him hard in the ribs.

Dolohov laughed. "Very good."

"I'll go and find the girl," Gradwell told his boss.

"Find her and bring her here," Dolohov ordered. "And tell Monique to come in here too."

Gradwell nodded and made his way out the door.

"Mr. Potter," Dolohov said standing over him. "You know I always thought you were more bark than bite. Too bad you couldn't live up to the hype."

Harry coughed, trying to draw air into his lungs. He couldn't believe he had been so stupid as to let Gradwell trap him.

"Your emotions have always been your downfall," Dolohov said his wand trained on Harry. "You shouldn't care so much about people, Harry."

Harry glared back up at him as Dolohov shoved him onto his back with his foot.

Hermione watched from the window, wanting to strangle Dolohov with her bare hands. She'd been here for a couple of minutes and she'd arrived just in time to see Gradwell walk out, leaving a bruised and bloodied Harry alone with Dolohov.

This was all going to hell," she thought as she crept away from the window. She felt for the transmitter in her pocket and turned it on, hoping the Aurors back in England would respond appropriately.

She had to get inside Dolohov's office before he killed Harry.

Hermione kept herself pressed against the wall as she snuck inside. She kept an eye out for Gradwell, Monique, Pettigrew- anyone who could recognise her at this stage.

"Please let him be okay," Hermione whispered to herself. "Please, let him be okay."

She was just entering the lobby when she was shoved aside.

"Going somewhere, Janie?" Monique asked.

"None of your business you slag," Hermione said coldly. "Move aside."

Monique grabbed Hermione by the arm. "No, I don't think so."

Hermione yanked herself away. "Touch me again--"

Monique rolled her eyes. "You know....I was just thinking that I'd shagged some barrister in training and come to find out, it was Harry Potter himself. Hmm...there's something I can tell all my friends..."

"You didn't get that chance," Hermione refused to let Monique's words sting her again. "Now get out of my way."

"Or you'll what?" Monique asked with a smirk. "Bore me to death?"

"Get. Out. Of. My. Way." Hermione's voice was icy. "Or you'll need another nose job."

"I've had about enough of you," Monique retorted. "Come on, let me get you to Antonin and then we'll---"

Hermione shoved the other woman away. "Don't' you dare come near me."

"You silly cow!" Monique exclaimed before making a move toward Hermione. "You're going t pay for that!"

"You might break a nail," Hermione said, moving herself into a fighting stance.

Monique laughed. "It'd be worth it."

The two women circled each other in the abandoned lobby, hatred bouncing between them. Hermione waited for Monique to make the first move- she could figure out her defence from there.

"I must say that it's a relief that you weren't really his wife," Monique said haughtily. "Imagine the great Harry Potter ending up with such a...frump."

Hermione shook her head. "As opposed to a whore like yourself?"

"At least I know how to satisfy a man," Monique shot back, advancing on Hermione.

"For about five seconds," Hermione retorted, flexing her arm in preparation.

Monique moved to slap Hermione hard across the face, but that was about as far as she got.

Stepping aside, Hermione grabbed Monique's wrist and twisted herself around her back.

"OW!" Monique squawked.

"That's right," Hermione said, shoving her against the wall.

Monique cried out as the cold granite scratched her face. She tried to squirm away from Hermione, but the brunette obviously wasn't through with her yet.

"Now," Hermione said coldly. "Where's Antonin? And what's he going to do with Harry?"

Monique didn't answer her and Hermione twisted the other woman's arm. "Ow! Uh----he's----he's going to k-kill him."

"Like hell," Hermione snarled. "Come on."

Monique stumbled as Hermione pulled her along toward Dolohov's office.

Without preamble, Hermione shoved her through the door. "Let Harry go," she ordered.

"Janie," Dolohov said smiling at her. "How nice of you to join us!"

"Antonin, please!" Monique pleaded.

Hermione glared at Dolohov. "Let Harry go. NOW!"

Dolohov looked past her as if he hadn't heard her. "I'm glad you made it. You'll get to watch him die."

"Antonin!" Monique had tears in her eyes. "You can't let her do this to me!"

Dolohov laughed. "You can be replaced, Monique."

Hermione would have relished the look on Monique's face if their situation wasn't so dire. "Aurors are on the way, Dolohov." she bluffed. "It's only a matter of minutes."

Dolohov kicked Harry in the gut again. "I didn't even have to use magic, Mrs. Montgomery."

"I'm not using magic either," Hermione twisted Monique's arm again.

"If you think I care what you do to her, you're mistaken," Dolohov countered. "Can you say the same?"

Hermione knew she couldn't. She racked her brain for an idea on how to get Harry away from Dolohov.

"Antonin, please!" Monique pleaded. "S-she's hurting me!"

Dolohov rolled his eyes. "Stop your whining," he ordered.

Harry opened his eyes and looked up at Hermione. "Her---"

"Harry..." she tried not to show how upset she was.

"As touching as this is, I have to cut this short," Dolohov said sarcastically.

Gradwell appeared back in the doorway. "Sir--" he began.

Dolohov turned his head and Harry summoned what strength he had and grabbed for the older wizard's leg.

Hermione shoved Monique away and swung her arm out at Dolohov as he began to fall.

Dolohov fell to the ground, his wand falling out of his hand. Gradwell reached for it as did Harry.

Harry managed to grab it first. "Petrificus Totalus!" he pointed the wand at Gradwell, who went rigid.

Hermione trained her wand on Dolohov. She muttered a spell and ropes shot out of her wand, binding the man's arms and legs.

Harry struggled to stand up. "Need... call Sirius..." he tried to draw in a breath.

Hermione reached for him. "I have a transmitter. I'm sure he heard what just happened. Oh, Harry!"

"I'm okay," he used the edge of the desk to stand up. He looked at Hermione with new respect. "That was incredible, what you did."

Hermione smiled at him, touching his cheek. "That's a switch, eh? Me saving you?"

"Yeah," he said. "Don't tell Sirius."

Monique tried to make her own escape, but the doors to Dolohov's office swung open and Sirius, Lupin and a team of Aurors came bustling inside.

"Take her," Hermione pointed. "She may have been an accomplice in all this. The ledgers and list of dates and places are in his drawer."

One of the Aurors took Monique by the arm and led her out of the office.

"Nice work you two," Lupin said looking down at Dolohov.

"Thank you sir," Hermione said, breathing easier as another pair of Aurors lifted a struggling Dolohov.

"Tell Bellatrix hello for me," Harry said glaring at the man.

"I'll get out of there," Dolohov threatened. "And you'll pay for this, Potter. You and your little bitch."

"Over my dead body," Harry said defiantly.

The Aurors carried Dolohov out along with Gradwell. Sirius collected the ledgers and the paperwork from the desk.

"I'll have someone get your things from the cottage," Lupin told them. "And Harry, you should be checked out."

"That's the least of my worries," Harry said dryly.

"You look like shite," Sirius said matter-of-factly.

"It's been a bit of a shite evening," Harry retorted. "I think one of my ribs might be broken. Hurts to breathe."

"I'll take him back to the cottage and check him out," Hermione said.

Sirius nodded. "Just be back soon. We have some things to go over when we get back."

Hermione helped Harry stand up and she put her arm around him.

"I'll make it, right?" he joked lamely.

"Damn straight you will," Hermione said. "You scared me half to death, you know that, right?"

"I did?" he asked.

Hermione nodded, noticing that Harry was limping. She told him about arriving just as Gradwell was leaving and how Monique had stopped her in the corridor. "I was worried I was going to be too late."

"I was an idiot for not making sure the whole room was cleared," Harry shook his head.

"It's over now," Hermione said helping him down the front steps.

"Thanks to you," Harry looked at her. "I meant what I said in there. You were incredible."

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you."

"Guess I don't need to worry about you so much anymore." he said as they approached the cottage.

"You'll still worry," Hermione said. "But hopefully you'll realise that I can take care of myself."

"I do," he promised. "I know that now."

Hermione opened the door and helped him inside.

"Just go sit on the bed," she motioned. "I'll get you a potion for your pain."

Harry nodded and did as she requested.

Hermione quickly mixed up what she would need then brought it to him. "Lift up your shirt," she told him. "And drink this in one gulp."

"You sure are bossy, Granger," Harry said. "Um...can you help me with the shirt?"

"Sure," Hermione nodded, gently lifting it. "Be careful- don't move your arms too much."

Hermione gasped when she took in the damage Gradwell had done.

His entire abdomen was black and blue. "You might have more than one broken rib," she bit her lower lip. "I may not be able to do a whole lot."

"I don't want to go to hospital," Harry told her.

"I'm sure the Ministry will have a healer waiting to make sure we're all right," Hermione told him.

Harry took the glass and downed the contents in one gulp.

"Good," she nodded. "We should get going. We'll have you check out first thing."

"I'm not staying in the hospital," Harry said firmly.

"You don't have to," Hermione assured him. "Merlin, you blokes are babies..."

Harry winced as she helped him to his feet. "I just don't want to spend our first night back away from you, Granger."

Hermione had to smile at that. "I'd stay in hospital with you."

"Very romantic," Harry said.

"Romance will happen later," Hermione told him softly. "First things first."

"In this condition, I doubt we can do THAT," Harry said smiling at her.

Hermione shook her head. "You are incorrigible. THAT will come later with the romance."

"Just making sure," Harry said, trying to not wince with every step.

Hermione noticed how much pain he was in. "I think we need to tell them to bring a Healer to you," she said. "You won't make an Apparition, much less go through the Floo Network."

"This is humiliating," Harry told her.

"You got hurt," she said. "It's not the first time it's happened, and not the last."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Harry said sarcastically.

"I meant in general," Hermione looked over at him. "Don't take it so personally."

"Sorry," Harry said quietly. "I just don't like looking like this is front of you, Hermione."

"I don't think any less of you for it," she told him.

Harry was going to say something else, but they spotted Lupin and Sirius heading toward them.

"We were just coming to look for you," Sirius said.

"Harry needs a Healer to check out his ribs," Hermione said immediately. "I think he's got more than one rib broken."

Sirius nodded. "We can rehash the events of tonight after you get checked out, Harry."

Harry nodded silently.

"Sirius can see you to St. Mungo's," Lupin said. "I'd like a word with Hermione."

Hermione nodded as Sirius led Harry away. "Yes sir?"

Lupin motioned for her to have a seat on one of the benches. Hermione did as he asked and Lupin stood before her looking grave and serious.

"First off, I'd like to congratulate you on your performance during this assignment," Lupin told her.

"Thank you," Hermione replied, twisting her hands together.

"But, there are certain rules that Aurors must obey," Lupin continued.

"Yes sir?" Hermione asked, a feeling of dread welling up inside her.

"Sirius tells me that you and Harry are engaged," Lupin said, his expression unreadable.

Hermione nodded. "We are."

"Do you feel that your personal relationship will interfere with your professional responsibilities?" Lupin asked her.

Hermione shook her head. "Absolutely not, sir."

Lupin regarded her for a few moments before he spoke again. "As you know, Nymphadora Tonks and I have been together for quite some time now and we've always tried to conduct ourselves with a sense of decorum."

Hermione nodded, wondering if he was going to tell her to break things off. She was prepared to stand up to him, even if he was her superior.

"I have known Harry for quite some time and I think of him as a son, Hermione," Lupin continued. "And I want him to be happy."

"I can make him happy," she told him. "Happiest he's ever been."

"You already have," Lupin said patting her on the shoulder. "All I ask is that the two of you remain professional with each other on the job. If you can do that, I will not stand in your way."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

Lupin nodded. "Really. Congratulations, Hermione."

She smiled. "Thank you so much."

"You're very welcome," Lupin said. "I'll see to it that someone gets your belongings. If you'd like to go ahead to St. Mungo's to see to Harry..."

Hermione nodded. "I do want to see him. Thank you again, sir."

Lupin gave her a hug. "Take care of him, Hermione."

"I will," she promised before heading out. It didn't take her long to arrive at St. Mungos and she headed right where Lupin told her Harry would be.

A nurse was wrapping Harry's torso with bandages and he looked as if he wished he was anywhere but there.

"Hey," Hermione said softly. "What's the prognosis?"

"His ribs are broken," the nurse told her. "And he has numerous cuts, contusions and bruises. The healer would like to keep him here tonight for observation."

"I'll be fine," Harry grumbled.

"You heard the healer, Mr. Potter," the nurse said, finishing the bandages. "I'll be right back with some pyjamas."

"I can hardly wait," Harry said sarcastically.

Hermione smiled at him. "I promised to stay with you."

"Visiting hours are officially over," the nurse told her.

I'm his partner," Hermione told her. "And I'm staying. If you have a problem with that, go talk to Head Auror Remus Lupin."

"Fine," the nurse said crisply before leaving the room.

Hermione settled onto the edge of his bed. "She's quite warm, isn't she?" she rolled her eyes.

"How about you try some of that kung fu out on her?" Harry asked trying to lie back on his bed.

"If she tries to drag me out I will," Hermione pulled his pillows up behind him. "There, that should help."

"Thank you," Harry said smiling lazily at her.

"Lupin gave us his blessing," Hermione said after a moment. "He's not going to oppose us being together."

"I had a feeling that's what he wanted to talk to you about," Harry said. "I knew he'd come round."

Hermione brushed back his hair. "I can't wait until you look like yourself again."

"Me too," Harry said yawning. "They...they gave me something for the pain. I think it's also a sleeping potion."

"Then sleep," she said, kissing his forehead. "I'll be here when you wake up."

"Don't go," Harry said closing his eyes. "Don't leave me with that ...woman."

"I'm not going anywhere," Hermione reached for his hand.

"Love you," Harry said sleepily. "Love you. Love you."

"I love you too," Hermione gave him a light kiss on his mouth. "Now sleep. You'll be all better in the morning."

"All better," Harry repeated. "All better for Hermy."

"I'd hit you if you weren't already bruised up," Hermione shook her head.

Harry didn't answer her and Hermione could tell he'd fallen asleep. She cuddled up beside him on the bed, being careful not to hurt him.

"We're in this for the long haul, Potter." She whispered.

"I'm not going anywhere," she said closing her eyes.

*** *** ***