Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This chapter brings H/Hr back to the forefront. We know some of you were disappointed in the last chapter because H/Hr weren't in it, but this story isn't H/Hr only. We have other couples that we enjoy writing for and we've finished writing the story already. We hope that you will read all of the story and that you won't just stick to the H/Hr parts. We're proud of this story as a whole and we hope that you all will enjoy it, too.

** *** ***

It was after dinner, and to keep up appearances Harry and Hermione were taking a stroll on the beach, talking about the case while enjoying a midnight stroll. .

"The game was a bust," Harry filled her in. "I lost money and I didn't find out anything. He keeps the atmosphere away from business."

"How civilised of him," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "But he already invited you back for another one. So that's good."

"I guess," Harry replied. "And Remus better be reimbursing me for all this."

"How much did you lose exactly?" Hermione asked.

"Too much," Harry shook his head. "I don't even want to say."

Hermione gave his arm a squeeze. "Oh, James. It'll be okay. I did promise to love you for richer, for poorer."

"Poorer lately," Harry sent her a grin.

Hermione dropped her sandals on the sand and put her arms around him. "It's okay."

Harry leaned in and gave her a rather thorough kiss.

"Mmmm," Hermione murmured.

Harry opened his eyes a crack and saw Dolohov and Gradwell talking together near the pool. Dolohov looked extremely pissed off about something.

Hermione felt him tense up and looked up at him. "James?"

"He's right over there talking," Harry nuzzled her neck.

"What else can you see?" Hermione asked.

"I think they're fighting about something," Harry guessed.

The waves crashing onto the shore certainly didn't help him hear anything.

"They haven't seen us yet, have they?" Hermione asked.

"I don't think so," Harry answered as Gradwell turned and stormed off.

"One of us should follow him," Hermione said reaching for her sandals.

"I will," Harry told her. "Will you go wait for me back at the cottage?"

Hermione nodded. "Be careful."

"I will," Harry said. "Be back soon." he took off after the burly henchman.

Hermione retrieved her sandals and glanced up the beach toward the pool. Dolohov was still there and talking animatedly to someone. Even though she'd told Harry she'd go back to the cottage, she was a part of this case. She stepped closer to get a better look.

"And I will be paying you back, double," Dolohov was saying in a low voice. "Your favours will not go unnoticed."

"This can't be traced back to me, Antonin," the other man responded. "I'd be ruined."

"Not a chance," Dolohov said smoothly.

Hermione hid behind one of the pillars. Dolohov was blocking her view of the other man.

"What news do you have for me of our... subject?" the other man asked.

"We're monitoring his schedule," Dolohov told him. "You just have to be patient. When the time is right, we'll move forward."

"I want it to be soon," the other man replied. "I can't wait much longer."

"You hired me to do this job and if I've learned anything over the years, you don't act until you've anticipated every possible scenario," Dolohov told him. "We have to make sure this can't be traced back to any of us."

"Fine," the other man said. "I'll be in touch."

Hermione tried to get a better look at the man, but she heard the familiar pop and knew the man had Apparated away. "Damn it," she cursed under her breath.

Sighing, she turned to walk back towards the cottage when she heard Dolohov's silky voice.

"Mrs. Montgomery?" Dolohov called out.

Hermione stopped and forced a smile onto her face. "Mr. Dolohov..."

"Antonin," he corrected her. "What are you doing out here alone?"

"James went back to the room to use the loo," Hermione lied. "And I was waiting for him out here."

"Romantic stroll on the beach?" Dolohov asked her.

"That's exactly it," Hermione nodded, trying to appear pleasant.

Dolohov stepped closer. He touched her arm. "Are you cold, Mrs. Montgomery?"

"No," she wanted to shudder in disgust but held it in. "I think it's impossible to be cold here."

He ran his fingers down her arm. "Yes, it's very...hot."

Hermione stepped away from him before she could stop herself. "Where's Monique?"

"Having a drink in the bar," Dolohov said leering at her.

"I see," Hermione took another step back.

Dolohov reached for her again causing her skin to crawl.

"I have to go," Hermione said forcing a smile. She wanted to knee this wanker in the groin, but doing so might jeopardize the case.

"Come, Mrs. Montgomery," Dolohov smiled at her.

"No, I think I should really go find James..." she shook her head.

"Alright then," Dolohov said leaning in and kissing her on the cheek.

Hermione bid him a quick good night and headed back toward the cottage as fast as she could go.

"Janie," someone said from behind her, grabbing her.

"No!" Hermione jabbed her elbow back, catching the person in the gut.

"OW!" Harry exclaimed doubling over. "What in the---"

"Oh!" Hermione's hands flew to her face. "I'm so sorry!"

Harry put a hand to his stomach. "Who did you think I was?"

"Dolohov," Hermione said in a small voice.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked. He noticed that she was shaking.

"Can we go back to the cottage?" she asked quickly.

"Of course," Harry said nodding. He put his arm around her and together they hurried back toward the cottage.

"I'm sorry Harry," she apologised once they were inside. "I didn't mean to hit you like that..."

"It's okay," Harry reassured her. "Gradwell stalked back to his quarters and so I came back here. When you weren't here, I was concerned. Did something happen with Dolohov?"

"He came up to me," Hermione sat down. "He was touching my arm... he disgusts me so much..."

"He touched you?" Harry asked, cutting her off.

"He kissed my cheek too," Hermione shuddered in revulsion. "I just... had to get away from him. And then you came up behind me, and I thought you were him and--"

Harry pulled her into his arms. "It's okay. Hermione..."

She buried her face in his shoulder, hugging him back.

He held her for a long time, stroking her hair in a comforting fashion. He remembered those pictures of her he'd found in Dolohov's office and he felt the anger surge in him. If that bloke laid another hand on Hermione, Harry would kill him.

"Is your stomach really okay?" Hermione finally looked up at him.

He smiled at her. "I'm fine now."

"Let me see," she insisted.

Harry lifted up his shirt. "What's the verdict?"

Hermione inspected his abdomen. "I think you're all right," she touched it lightly.

"Just all right?" Harry asked in mock indignation.

"Any possible wound," Hermione smiled for real.

"I'm just sorry we couldn't finish our walk," Harry said.

"It's okay," she said softly.

"Come on," Harry said taking her hand. "Let's go sit out on the patio. We can have a drink."

"A drink sounds nice," Hermione agreed as he helped her up.

"What are you in the mood for?"

"A mojito?" Hermione asked.

"Coming right up, Mrs. Potter," Harry said with a wink. He hadn't noticed his slip of the tongue, but Hermione certainly had.

She smiled as she watched him make the drinks. She certainly wanted to be Mrs. Potter.

"It doesn't get better than this," Harry said a few moments later, handing her a drink. "You, me, and a beautiful, starry night."

"I can think of one thing that would make it better," Hermione leaned against him.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

She looked up at him, her eyes darkening. "Think about it for a minute..."

"Oh," Harry said huskily. "That."

"If you want to..." Hermione felt a bit shy.

"If I want to?" Harry asked her with a laugh. "Hermione...I've wanted to since the moment I saw you again in Lupin's office."

"I find that hard to believe," she said dryly. "We were at each other's throats..."

"I never stopped wanting you," Harry told her. "Or loving you. I left because I was an idiot."

"I pushed you away," Hermione objected. "I was terrified, and wouldn't give you another chance."

"What I felt for you scared me to death," Harry said. "And you know the people who are close to me, something bad's always happening. I didn't want that sort of fate for you."

"It's not going to happen to me," Hermione said quietly.

"I love you so much," Harry whispered cupping her face in his.

"I love you too," Hermione kissed him passionately.

Harry's arms snaked around her waist and although he knew the circumstances were less than ideal, he couldn't imagine not being with her like this. He was a fool to think he'd be able to hold back.

"I need you," she murmured.

"I need you too," Harry said walking her backwards toward the bed.

With a wave of his hand, he closed the door and the curtains so no one could see in.

"Please," Hermione whimpered as he pressed his lips to her neck.

"No regrets?" Harry asked, his voice muffled against her skin.

"None," Hermione answered without hesitation. "I want all of you, Harry."

Harry looked at her. She was still the prettiest girl he'd ever met. He loved her with everything that he had and he wanted to show her.

"Now..." she looked up at him. "Right now."

Harry kissed her again while he untied the straps of her dress.

She was not wearing a bra under the halter dress, for which Harry was quite grateful. "You're saving me a bit of work here..." he teased.

She smiled. "I honestly didn't know we'd be doing this when I chose the outfit."

He grinned. "I don't mind in the least..." he slid the dress down.

"Let's get you caught up," Hermione said pulling up on his shirt.

Harry tossed the garments in the corner of the room and kicked off his trousers.

Hermione started to take off her knickers, but Harry stopped her. "Allow me."

She smiled at him. "By all means..."

He hooked his fingers into the waist and drew them down her legs. "You're even more beautiful than I remembered," Harry said, gazing down at her.

"Harry," Hermione said softly.

"You are," he said, dropping his own boxers on the floor before crawling back in bed next to her.

"I've missed you," Hermione whispered.

"Same here," Harry kissed her neck, working his way down.

"Yes," Hermione breathed.

Harry moved over on top of her, kissing her deeply.

"Now," she said her breath catching in her throat.

"Ready?" Harry asked, his voice strained as he struggled for control.

Hermione nodded. "Please."

He was on his hands, looking down at her face as he slid inside her. "Merlin..." Harry groaned.

Hermione met his gaze and bit her bottom lip. The only other bloke she'd been with since her split with Harry had been Michael. Being with him had never felt like this. She felt as if she was finally home. Tears welled up in her eyes as they began to move together.

"That's it..." Harry kissed her again.

Hermione wrapped her arms around him pulling him closer.

Harry went into her as deeply as he could. He nearly lost it when she arched against him.

The gleam in her eye told him she knew that she was torturing him. She was too far gone to say anything in that moment though.

"I can't... do this... much... longer..." Harry said through clenched teeth.

He pressed into her one last time and Hermione cried out his name.

He too, let out his own release and collapsed just off to her side.

Hermione turned her head to look at him. "That was..."

"You're incredible," Harry brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes.

"You are," Hermione said smiling at him.

Harry pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her.

"What are you thinking?" Hermione asked.

"About you," Harry nuzzled her cheek.

"Good things?" Hermione asked closing her eyes.

"There's nothing bad for me to think about you," Harry said softly.

"I never thought we'd be together like this," Hermione admitted. "The way things ended...and now, we're back together. It's almost perfect."

"It's going to be perfect," Harry told her. "Screw the stupid rules. When we go back, we're a couple. I don't care what Kingsley or Lupin or anyone says."

Hermione smiled. "And we're going to live together."

"And be partners," Harry yawned.

"Partners?" Hermione asked. "But I thought it was just for this assignment..."

Harry shook his head. "Sirius is talking about retiring, and I'm going to ask that you and I be paired up."

"Really?" Hermione asked excitedly.

"Yeah," Harry opened his eyes and grinned at her.

Hermione gave him a kiss. "You're right. It doesn't get better than this."

Harry yawned again. "Tomorrow we'll figure out what Dolohov and Gradwell were going on about."

"He was chatting with someone," Hermione said. She told Harry what she'd overheard. "But I never saw his face."

"Hmm," Harry thought for a moment. "I think we'll need to make another trip to the office."

Hermione rested her head on his chest. "Yeah."

Harry ran his hand up and down her back. "And that bastard won't touch you again."

She wasn't so sure that was a promise he could keep, but she didn't want to think about that; not now.

"Tomorrow..." Harry was quite drowsy. "Tomorrow we'll tell Sirius what you overheard."

"Mmmhmm," Hermione agreed sleepily.

"Love you, Hermione Jane," Harry kissed her forehead.

"Love you too, Harry James," Hermione said before closing her eyes again.

*** *** ***

Charlie stood outside the ice cream parlour wondering what on earth he was doing here in the first place. He had loads of things he could be doing. A couple of old school friends had invited him out to a pub but he'd declined. All because his soon-to-be sister-in-law had it in her head that he was a love match for a model.

The more he thought about it, the more apprehensive he became. This girl was on the rebound and the last thing he wanted her to do was get ideas that he was going to be any sort of boyfriend for her. He lived in another country for one thing. For another, she'd dated his younger brother. Not to mention the fact that she was eight years his junior.

But, he told himself. This wasn't a date. She was just being polite and helping him find a gift for his mum. That was all. No need to get himself worked up about nothing.

Lavender hurried towards the ice cream parlour, hoping he wouldn't think she'd stood him up. She still wore her makeup and her hair was still in long curls from her photo shoot that morning- she hadn't had time to change before heading out.

She caught sight of Charlie who had his back to her. He was looking at the menu Fortescue posted just outside the door.

"Hi," she said breathlessly. "I'm sorry I'm late- my shoot ran a bit overtime."

"It's quite alright," Charlie said turning around. He couldn't help his jaw dropping at the sight of her.

"I probably look a wreck," Lavender self consciously pushed back her hair.

"Um, no not at all," Charlie said. "I feel underdressed. You do realise we're just going shopping..."

"Oh," Lavender pulled her cloak around herself. "I know- I didn't have time to change."

"Its okay," Charlie said hastily. He hadn't meant to make her feel uncomfortable. "Um, I appreciate you agreeing to this."

"It's no problem," Lavender replied. "I'm good at finding gifts."

"So I heard," Charlie said smiling at her. "So, where should we start?"

"Depends on how much you want to spend," Lavender said.

"She gave birth to me," Charlie joked. "I don't think I should put a limit on the present, do you?"

Lavender smiled back at him. "No, I suppose not."

"I'm sure you know that we didn't have that much growing up," Charlie said as they started to stroll down the sidewalk. "And now that I'm able to, I want to give her the things that she couldn't have before."

"That's very sweet," Lavender said softly.

"Yes, well," Charlie said with a shrug.

"There's this little shop just over here," Lavender said. "They have the loveliest antique jewellery."

"Okay," Charlie said. "Sounds like a good place to start."

"I know the owner pretty well," Lavender told him. "I come in here all the time."

Charlie held the door for her. "After you..."

"Thanks," Lavender replied, a little flutter in her stomach.

She stepped past him into the shop and smiled shyly at him as she did so.

"Lavender!" the shopkeeper exclaimed.

"Hi Andrea," Lavender greeted the woman. "It's good to see you."

Andrea smiled at her. "How have you been? I haven't seen you in awhile."

"I've been busy," Lavender replied. "My um... my friend Charlie here needs to find a gift for his mother."

"It's nice to meet you, Charlie," Andrea said shaking his hand. "I have some lovely pieces at the counter. Does your mum like sterling silver?"

"She actually really likes gold," Charlie replied.

Andrea smiled. "I have some earrings and bracelets over here..."

"I'll help you look," Lavender touched his arm.

Charlie smiled at her. "Thanks."

"I don't know your mother all that well, but she doesn't seem like the large jewellery type of person," Lavender said as she led him back.

"She's not," Charlie agreed. "She's not one for ostentation."

"What about a bracelet like this one?" Lavender pointed to one in the case.

Charlie leaned down to get a better look. "That's nice, but not really my mum's style."

"Okay..." Lavender frowned in thought. "A necklace, perhaps? Maybe a locket of some kind?"

"I have a beautiful piece from the 1920s," Andrea said. "It's in the back."

"I know which one you're talking about," Lavender called to her.

Charlie turned and looked at Lavender. She really was beautiful. "It's nice, eh?" he asked her.

"Oh yes," Lavender nodded. "I've often admired this piece."

"But you haven't bought it for yourself?" Charlie asked.

Lavender shrugged. "I only buy jewellery if I have a use for it. I like this piece, but I don't know where I'd wear it." she smiled. "I did think of sending it to your brother..."

She knew she was trying to joke, but it still made him think about the fact that she'd once dated his brother. "I'm sure Ron would have loved that, but he's more into pearls."

That made her giggle. "Like those?" she pointed to a large gaudy set.

"He already owns that set," Charlie whispered.

"That's too much information," she shook her head, still laughing.

Andrea came back with the necklace. "Here you are....I think your mum would love this."

"This is really nice," Charlie said in admiration.

"The diamond is exquisite, isn't it?" Andrea asked. "They don't make them like this anymore."

"How much is it?" Charlie asked.

"Five hundred galleons," Andrea replied.

It was quite a bit more than he'd intended, but he shrugged and was about to agree when Lavender spoke up.

"Isn't there a little chip in here?" she bargained.

"A chip?" Andrea asked pulling the necklace back. "I'm sure there's---"

"Right there," Lavender pointed to a little fleck in the carving. "I noticed it one time..."

Andrea put her reading glasses on and examined the stone closely. "Oh...well, I guess I could come down on the price..."

"Such as?" Charlie asked.

"I could take off about fifty galleons," Andrea said thoughtfully.

"Andrea," Lavender said reaching into her bag. "How would you like to attend that designer luncheon? I have two passes here..."

"The designer luncheon?" Andrea asked in interest.

Lavender nodded. "It's this big do Witch Weekly is holding for some of the top designers. I'm not going to be able to attend..."

"Oh my..." Andrea looked at the passes. "I suppose... since you're a friend and all... I could give this to you for two fifty..."

"That's very generous of you," Lavender said smiling at her.

"That's more than kind," Charlie said.

Andrew pocketed the passes. "I'll just wrap this for you."

"Thanks Andrea," Lavender said as the woman disappeared in the back.

Charlie grinned at Lavender. "Nice work. Thank you."

"You're very welcome," Lavender said.

"Next time I buy a racing broom, I think you should come with," Charlie said dryly.

She laughed. "I don't know if my bargaining skills would work on everyone."

"Don't see yourself short," Charlie said reaching for his wallet.

"Maybe we'll have to give it a go then," Lavender pushed her hair back.

"Maybe," Charlie said thoughtfully.

Lavender nodded and moved away to look at some other pieces.

"So, how have you been?" Charlie asked.

"Since last night?" Lavender asked wryly. "I had a good cry when I went home."

"Break ups are never easy," Charlie said sympathetically.

Lavender shook her head. "I really thought Darren was it for me."

"You two went out for quite a while then?" Charlie asked.

She nodded. "It was such a lame break up too."

"Well anyone who uses that it's not you, it's me...." Charlie said rolling his eyes.

"Bet you never have," Lavender said with a half smile.

"No and I hope that I never do," Charlie said with a laugh.

Andrea came back up with the necklace wrapped up. "Here you are."

Lavender took the package while Charlie paid Andrea. "Thank you."

"And thanks for those tickets, Lavender," Andrea grinned. "I can show off some of these pieces there."

"You're welcome," Lavender said. "Thanks again."

The two of them left the shop. "Well you weren't kidding," Charlie said with a laugh. "You are good at shopping."

Lavender smiled. "I've had loads of practise."

"I really do appreciate it," Charlie said. "How about that coffee?"

"You don't have to," Lavender told him. "I'm sure you have---"

Charlie shook his head. "Nonsense. I owe you one."

"If you're sure," Lavender said. "That'd be lovely."

"I know a great place for coffee," Charlie replied. "Not many people go there."

"Okay," Lavender said hoping it wasn't some dowdy pub.

To her pleasant surprise, it was quite a posh little coffee shop, a rather small one, just tucked in between Madam Malkin's and a Quidditch shop. "I never noticed this place!"

"Not that many people do," Charlie said. "I came in here just the other day with Ron and Luna."

"I bet Luna loved it," Lavender looked around. "She'd fit right in here."

"What would you like?" Charlie asked.

"Could I have a latte please?" Lavender asked.

"Coming right up," Charlie said moving toward the counter. He placed the order---a latte for Lavender and an espresso for himself. Even though he doubted she'd eat it, he ordered a sample plate of pastries. It had been quite awhile since he'd eaten breakfast and he was starving.

She was sitting by a window table when he returned, just looking outside. She really was quite lovely, he noticed. Despite his resolve not to think of her in a romantic way, he couldn't stop his thoughts from going there.

"Is this okay?" she asked. "I thought it'd be nice to people watch while we had our coffees."

"Sure," Charlie said. "If you're hungry, I got a few pastries too."

Lavender looked longingly at the plate. "They look delicious."

"Have one," Charlie pushed the plate towards her.

"One couldn't hurt," Lavender said reaching for a chocolate brownie.

"I won't tell," Charlie said with a grin.

Lavender took a bite of the brownie and practically swooned. "Mmmmm," she purred.

"That good?" Charlie asked. "Maybe I'll try one too then."

"Delicious," Lavender said. "You should try one."

"I think I will," Charlie picked up the other brownie and took a big bite. "That is really, really good."

"Most things that are bad for you usually are good," Lavender said with a grin.

"Too good," he agreed. "Ron talked about you quite a bit when you were at school together," Charlie told her. "He said that you were the only one who took up for him around Fred and George."

"No one really would," Lavender said thoughtfully. "He didn't know Luna at the time, and neither of us were friends with Hermione yet."

"Luna's good for him," Charlie commented.

"She really is," Lavender nodded. "Far better than I ever would have been."

"Ron kind of let on that you had a hard time getting over him," Charlie said pulling a confused face.

Lavender raised an eyebrow. "Hard time? Please. I know he's your brother and all but--"

"He's full of it?" Charlie asked. "I had a feeling he was embellishing."

"Ron lives to embellish," Lavender said dryly.

Charlie laughed. "And yet you're still friends."

"Yeah well, we were better friends than lovers," Lavender shrugged. "Not that... we ever went that far or anything."

"No need to explain," Charlie said uncomfortably.

"Ron's a good guy, and Luna's the best person for him." Lavender replied.

"She is," Charlie agreed smiling as Lavender reached for another pastry.

"I am sort of hungry," she confessed.

"Eat up," Charlie said. "I like it when girls eat. No need to act like a bird on my account."

Lavender laughed. "I usually have to eat like a bird."

"A sprig of lettuce?" Charlie asked teasingly. "One soda cracker?"

"Okay, I know some girls who are that bad," Lavender said. "But I am not one of them."

"Good to hear," Charlie said. "Fleur was that way when Bill first brought her home."

"Fleur is gorgeous no matter what she does," Lavender replied.

"You should have seen Ron around her the first time Bill brought her around," Charlie remembered with a laugh. "He couldn't string two words together and she asked him his name and he said...he couldn't remember."

She began giggling so hard she couldn't stop. "I can see that happening!"

Charlie laughed harder. "My brother wasn't always so smooth, but I guess I don't have to tell you that."

"No..." Lavender shook her head. "But it's okay."

Charlie smiled at her. He was having a really good time. He looked down at the plate. "Want to split this lemon one with me?"

"Sure," Lavender replied. "It looks delicious."

Charlie tore the pastry in half and handed it to her. "Miss Brown..."

"Thank you," Lavender smiled at him, her cheeks a bit pink.

"I've really enjoyed being back in London," Charlie told her. "I've missed it."

"Are you settling for good in Romania?" she asked.

"It's where my work is," Charlie replied. He didn't want to bore her with talk of dragons. Most girls didn't care to hear about them.

"I think it's rather fascinating, what you do." Lavender commented. "I don't think I'd ever have the bravery to work with dragons."

Charlie smiled at her. "I have quite a few scars." He held up his left hand. "This was courtesy of a Hungarian Horntail. And this one over here....Norwegian Ridgeback clipped me pretty good."

"A Norwegian Ridgeback?" Lavender touched the scar. "Those are pretty fierce, aren't they?"

Charlie nodded. "They can be, but we have one we're working with now. Spike. He's just a baby and he's like my shadow."

Lavender grinned. "How big is he?"

"A little bigger than your handbag," Charlie said. "I'm the only one that he's taken to so I can imagine he's giving hell to my colleagues."

"Aww," Lavender said. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but he sounds adorable."

"I have a few pictures back at the house," Charlie said. "Maybe...maybe I'll show them to you some time."

"Sure," Lavender agreed. "I'd like that."

"One last brownie," Charlie said grinning at her. "You want it?"

"I shouldn't..." Lavender eyed it.

"Half?" Charlie suggested.

"That would work," Lavender agreed with a smile.

Charlie offered her the plate. "Ladies first."

She blushed again. "Thank you Charlie."

Charlie smiled and watched as she took half of the brownie and popped it into her mouth. He was about to take his half when he noticed that she had a dab of chocolate on her cheek. He leaned forward.

Lavender's eyes widened as he leaned in. Was he about to kiss her?

"You...you have something on your cheek," he explained holding up his napkin.

"Oh," Lavender was terribly embarrassed. "Thank you."

Charlie's hand lingered on her cheek. She smelled really, really good. What was he thinking?

"Thanks," she said again.

softly, unsure of why he was staring at her.

"No problem," Charlie said pulling away. "I really need to get back to the Burrow."

"Of course," Lavender nodded. "Thanks for the coffee."

"Thank you for coming with me and getting that deal," Charlie said getting to his feet.

"Anytime," Lavender also rose. "If you ever need another shopping favour..."

"I know exactly who to call," Charlie said smiling at her.

"Right," Lavender also smiled. He was very dashing, she realised.

"I can see you back to yours," Charlie offered.

"I'm just down the road," Lavender shook her head. "But I appreciate the notion."

Charlie nodded and together they walked toward the door. They said goodbye and headed their separate ways, but Charlie suddenly found himself turning around. "Lavender?" he called after her. "Lavender!"

"Yes?" she looked back at him.

He quickened his step to catch up to her. "Do you want to...that is...would you like to....if you weren't busy that is...."

Lavender adjusted her bag and looked at him, a bit confused. "Busy for what?"

Charlie's cheeks turned red. He wasn't so sure this was a good idea, but he heard himself saying the words---asking the question. "Would you like to go out to dinner with me tomorrow evening?"

"Dinner?" Lavender asked in a bit of a high pitched tone.

"It's okay if you're busy," Charlie sad hastily. "I know its short notice."

"I-- I'm not but..." Lavender pushed her hair away. "It just might be a bit soon. Darren just broke up with me the other night..."

Charlie nodded. "Sure, I understand. I'll let you get on then."

"Could we go as friends?" Lavender asked shyly.

"Of course," Charlie replied.

"That would be lovely," Lavender said.

Charlie smiled. "I'll pick you up at yours at say...seven?"

"That would be fine," Lavender felt herself flush yet again.

"I'll see you then," Charlie said giving her a little wave. He realised what he was doing and he brought his hand back down.

"Bye," Lavender smiled before heading on her way. She wasn't sure why, but she felt better than she had in quite awhile.

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione found herself not wanting to get out of bed. Harry's arms were still wrapped around her and she couldn't remember the last time she'd felt this comfortable.

"Good morning," Harry said sleepily, his eyes still closed.

"Morning," she mumbled, burying her face in his shoulder.

Harry ran his hand up and down her back. "Just as good as I remembered."

Hermione smiled. "Same here..."

"We weren't going to do that just yet," Harry said kissing the top of Hermione's head.

She snaked an arm over his chest. "No... but I couldn't hold out any longer."

"You never could resist me," Harry said smugly.

Hermione raised her head up and looked at him. "That goes both ways, you know."

"I never said it didn't," Harry said closing his eyes again.

Hermione snuggled back in again. "I don't want to move," she yawned.

Harry laughed. "We have an hour or so before we have to go back to being James and Janie."

"Good," she closed her eyes again.

"You're not going to sleep are you?" Harry asked teasingly.

"I don't know," she answered. "Maybe..."

"Maybe I'll get some sleep too," Harry said turning over on his stomach and burying his face in the pillow.

"Hey," she squealed. "You were a good pillow."

Harry laughed. "I couldn't help it."

Hermione moved herself back under his arm. "There... this is better."

"You always have to have your way," Harry said .

"Mmmhmmm..." she closed her eyes again.

"Hermione?" Harry asked softly.

"Yeah?" she answered, opening one eye.

Harry thought about what he wanted to say. "You sure this is what you want?"

"What do you mean?" she blinked.

"The reason I pushed you away last time was because I was afraid something bad was going to happen to you," Harry said looking at her. "It's just---I'd understand if you were having second thoughts."

She shook her head. "Not a one."

Harry kissed her. "Me, either."

Hermione pressed her lips to his. "I love you, Potter."

"I want to marry you," Harry said holding her close.

"What?" Hermione thought she hadn't heard right.

"Not very romantic, I know," Harry said pushing a strand of hair off her face. "But I want to marry you."

She smiled. "Really?"

"Really," Harry said smiling at her. "So...what do you say?"

"I say...." Hermione drew the moment out. "Yes."

Harry tickled her side. "You scared me for a moment there."

"I'm sorry," Hermione kissed him again. "I just thought you weren't the marrying kind."

"I wasn't," Harry admitted. "Until I met this girl..."

"One Janie Montgomery," Hermione deadpanned.

"And I love her more than anything else in this world," Harry said his tone suddenly serious.

Hermione brushed his hair back. "I love you, too."

"I have to get you a ring," Harry said. "One that doesn't belong to Janie."

Hermione smiled. "What if I buy you a ring too?"

"I don't need a ring," Harry said giving her a kiss. "You're all I need."

"And you're all I need," Hermione replied.

There was a knock on the door and Harry groaned. "Stay right here. I'll get rid of whoever that is."

"Okay," she rolled away from him, pulling up her sheets.

Harry stood up and reached for his boxer shorts. He gave Hermione one last admiring look before going to the door.

"Good morning, Mr. Montgomery," Dolohov said smoothly when Harry opened the door.

"Mr. Dolohov," Harry said. "What brings you by?"

"I thought you and Mrs. Montgomery might enjoy having breakfast with myself and Monique," Dolohov straightened up. "We don't often invite guests to dine at our private table, you see..."

"That's very kind of you," Harry said forcing a smile. "Janie and I accept your invitation."

"Monique and l look forward to seeing you there," Dolohov tried to peer past Harry.

"Can I help you with anything?" Harry asked moving to block the older man's view.

Dolohov tried not to sneer. "Just wanted to make sure your accommodations are... up to par."

"They are," Harry said. "Janie and I have no complaints."

"Good," Dolohov nodded. "We'll see you in thirty minutes."

Harry shook Dolohov's hand. "We'll be there."

"What did he want?" Hermione had put a robe on and came out as Harry shut the door.

"To invite James and Janie to breakfast," Harry replied. "You up for that?"

"As long as I don't have to sit next to him," she rolled her eyes.

"You'll be sitting next to me," Harry said pulling her to him.

"Okay," she wrapped her arms around him. "I can handle that."

"I'll be with you the whole time," Harry reassured her.

She kissed him. "I'll go get ready."

"I'd join you, but we'd never leave the room," Harry said.

Hermione laughed. "Good point. I won't be long."

Harry sat down on the edge of the bed. Had the past 24 hours really happened?

Hermione figured she could take a shower later. She slipped into a sundress and tied her hair back hastily.

Truth be told, she wasn't really looking forward to having breakfast with Monique and Dolohov. After what had happened last night, she didn't want to see Dolohov again.

Harry knocked on the door. "About ready?"

Hermione opened the bathroom door. "Ready, yes. Willing...no."

Harry gave her a kiss. "It'll be fine, I promise."

"Let's get this over with," Hermione said.

"Hopefully we'll figure out something new," Harry took her hand.

Hermione grabbed her purse and together the two of them headed out of the cottage and toward the resort's restaurant. The hostess ushered them quickly to Dolohov's table.

"Thank you for inviting us," Hermione said hiding her disgust as Dolohov kissed her cheek in greeting.

"Anything for our two favourite guests," Dolohov smiled as his eyes skipped over her body.

"That's very kind of you, Antonin," Harry said holding Hermione's chair out for her. "Janie..."

"Thanks," Hermione smiled at Harry.

Monique looked at the two of them. "There's something different about the two of you. What is it?"

Hermione shrugged and tried to appear innocent. "We're just enjoying our honeymoon."

Monique winked at her. "I'm sure you were. "

Hermione smiled at her. "We definitely are."

"We're going to hate leaving here," Harry said helping himself to some juice. "But it will be good to get home. Do you ever get back to London, Antonin?"

"Hardly," Dolohov replied. "I dislike the city tremendously."

Harry saw his opportunity. "I know what you mean. And that new Minister certainly hasn't helped matters."

"New Minister..." Dolohov's eyes glinted. "Why, Mr. Montgomery... I didn't realise you had magic." he lied.

"I thought you knew," Harry said easily. "I attended Hogwarts as did Janie."

"I didn't realise," Dolohov said with a slight curl of the lip. "Yes... the new Minister has been quite the disgrace."

"It's one thing to come in as the new minister with new ideas, but quite another to make all these sweeping changes right off the bat," Harry commented. "It's a shame what he's doing."

"He's trying to change things for the Mudbloods," Dolohov didn't bother to hide his disgust.

Monique rolled her eyes. "Not this again, Antonin."

Hermione had to control her temper as the hotel owner sneered.

"Monique doesn't like me talking about politics, but it is a real disgrace what that wanker is doing to what was once a great country."

Harry pretended to agree. "The whole wizarding economy is going right down the drain."

"I couldn't agree more," Dolohov said grinning at Harry.

"James, I agree with Monique," Hermione said. "No politics here at the table."

"Sorry, Janie," Harry said putting his arm around her.

Dolohov shook his head. "If I still lived overseas, I can guarantee things will be different." he sat back and sent the couple a rather sinister smile. "Perhaps soon enough, things WILL be different."

Harry shrugged. "I don't know what you can do. We're stuck with him."

Dolohov shook his head. "Monique, darling, what are you having?" he changed the subject, not wanting to reveal too much.

"Fruit plate," Monique replied. "And maybe an egg white omelette."

"That does sound good," Hermione nodded. "I really have to watch my calorie intake."

"No you don't, sweetheart," Harry said looking adoringly at her. "You look fantastic just as you are. I wouldn't change a thing."

"You've always been a flatterer," Hermione replied.

Harry leaned in and gave her a kiss. "And we'll just burn off whatever we eat later."

Monique leaned over. "James, you have such a way with words," she said flirtatiously.

"Thanks," Harry said smiling at her. "I try."

"So Janie here tells me you're going into law school," Monique touched his arm.

"That's right," Harry replied. "In the fall."

"You'll have to leave me something to contact you with," Monique purred. "In case I ever need any legal assistance."

Hermione couldn't believe Dolohov was okay with Monique openly flirting with another man in front of him.

But then again, she remembered what Monique had told her about her relationship with Dolohov. She was simply a prize on his arm.

"I can't imagine you'd ever get into trouble," Harry said flirtatiously.

Hermione had to control the stab of jealousy she felt as Harry grinned at Monique. 'It's only for the assignment' she thought, reaching for her juice.

"You'd be surprised at what sorts of trouble I can get into," Monique said rubbing her foot against Harry's leg under the table.

"And you have no trouble getting out of it, I'm sure." Harry replied, grinning at her.

Monique giggled. "James...."

"James," Hermione cleared her throat, unable to stand it a moment longer.

"That really is an amazing colour on you," Harry said referring to Monique's black halter top.

"Yes it is," Monique adjusted the neckline so her cleavage was showing.

"James," Hermione said through clenched teeth.

Harry looked towards her and shook his head slightly. He hoped she realised he didn't mean anything towards Monique.

Dolohov put away that day's paper and began to eat his breakfast. Hermione didn't feel much like eating, but she made an effort.

Harry reached under the table and squeezed Hermione's hand. He could tell she was upset.

Hermione smiled slightly.

"So James..." Monique shifted in her chair so she was leaning towards him. "I heard you lost quite a bit the other night. Hopefully Antonin will let you join him again to win some of that money back."

"Absolutely," Dolohov said. "James is more than welcome."

"I'll take you up on that," Harry replied. "Cant' be going broke on my honeymoon, now can I?"

Dolohov laughed as if it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. "Can't have that."

"That's how Antonin can afford to keep me," Monique ran her fingers through her long hair.

"I have to keep her in the life she's grown accustomed to," Dolohov said smiling at Monique. "Right, love?"

"That's right," Monique said in a silky tone.

"We have a game this evening," Dolohov told Harry. "Around ten, if you'd like to join."

"Would you mind?" Harry looked over at Hermione.

"Of course not," Hermione said. "As long as you don't come back to the cottage pissed and smelling of cigars."

"I'll be good," Harry smiled at her. "I promise, baby."

"Being bad can be fun too," Monique said huskily.

"I'll try that some other time," Harry winked at her.

They finished their breakfast with Dolohov and Monique without incident. Monique kept flirting with Harry throughout the meal and Hermione was positively seething as they made their way back to the cottage.

"Janie," Harry reached for her as she jabbed the key into the door.

Hermione didn't respond. She opened the door and walked inside, kicking off her sandals.

Harry shut and locked the door behind them. "Hermione," he said. "I was flirting for the assignment. You know that meant nothing to me."

Hermione nodded. "I know that, but it doesn't make it any easier."

"Come here," Harry reached for her.

Hermione went into his arms and hugged him tightly. "My jealous side emerges..."

"Remember that time, when you were in Hogsmeade with Krum?" Harry asked. "That's rather how I felt."

Hermione smiled. "I knew you were jealous."

He nudged her side. "Like you just now?"

"Just like that," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck.

Harry leaned in and gave her a thorough, passionate kiss. "Does that get the green eyed monster to go away?"

"It helps," Hermione admitted. "But I think you can do better."

He picked her up effortlessly. "Here's a start," he said huskily.

Hermione nodded. "Very good."

"I think..." Harry laid her on the bed. "We can... take care of business... then have a little pleasure time."

"Come here, you," Hermione whispered.

Harry kissed her again, running his hands over her bare shoulders.

Hermione shivered as he did this, but she was still keyed up from Monique's flirting. "Right in front of me. Right in front of me...she flirts with you. She wasn't even trying to hide it I mean, Dolohov might not care, but you're on your bloody honeymoon!"

Harry pulled back. "Hermione--'

"Complete cow," Hermione continued. "Asking for your number in case she gets into trouble. I swear...if she keeps doing what she was doing, she is going to get into trouble and not the kind that you could help her get out of."

"You sound worried about her," Harry commented.

"I'm not," Hermione said looking up at him. "But I just think it took some nerve of her to do that in front of me."

"It did," Harry agreed. "But that sort of woman will never be happy with anyone. And she's not the type of person any respectful guy would look twice at."

Hermione touched his arm. "Lucky for me I happen to be engaged to one of those respectful guys then."

"Yes, you are." Harry rubbed his thumb over her cheek.

"I love you so much," Hermione said softly.

"I love you too," Harry rested his forehead on hers. "More than anyone else in the world."

"I never thought we'd be like this again," Hermione said. "After the way things ended...I didn't think we'd see each other again."

"I didn't either," Harry replied. "And after the way we left each other, I didn't want to at first. But now I'm damned glad we got this assignment."

"Me too," Hermione agreed. "Even if I wasn't all that happy about it to begin with."

"I wasn't either," Harry told her.

"Sirius and Lupin must have known something we didn't," Hermione said cuddling up with him.

"Speaking of which, we need to check in," Harry said. "Soon as we're done with that..."

"We'll get back to this," Hermione said giving him a kiss. "You want to call or should I?"

"We'll use the transmitter and tell them what we've found out," Harry reached for it.

"Harry?" Sirius' voice came over the line.

"Hey Sirius," Harry said. "We just got back from having breakfast with Dolohov. He was talking about the Minister and he said some rather interesting things." he told them what Dolohov had talked about.

"Interesting," Sirius said when Harry finished. "You need to pursue that. He obviously has plans for the Minister, but what exactly?"

"I saw him talking with someone last night by the pool," Hermione said telling him what she'd heard.

"Very good," Sirius said approvingly. "We'll see if we can get traces of any apparition. Interesting how this person wasn't afraid of any Muggles seeing them."

"I just wish I could have seen who it was," Hermione said wistfully.

"That person will show up again," Sirius replied confidently.

"We'll be looking for him," Hermione promised.

"There is something else we want to tell you," Harry said. "Not about the case..."

"What's that?" Sirius asked.

"How would you feel about being my best man?" Harry asked winking at Hermione.

"Best man?" Sirius asked. "You mean--"

"I asked Hermione to marry me and she said yes," Harry said happily.

"Congratulations!" Sirius said delightedly. "To both of you. About time you wised up."

"I couldn't agree more," Hermione said leaning against Harry. "We haven't set a date yet..."

"I hate to put a damper on things, but just don't let this affect your case," Sirius said. "I'm ecstatic for both of you, but I won't tell Remus... just yet."

"We're being professional," Harry told him. "And Remus can't really say anything...look at him and Tonks!"

Sirius chuckled. "No, he shouldn't say anything but he will. You still have a week. I know both of you will crack this wide open."

"We will," Harry promised. "We'll keep you posted."

"Take care," Sirius said. "And let me know if you see our mysterious visitor again."

"We will," Hermione said before Harry shut off the transmitter.

Harry grinned at her. "We just made it official."

"Can't go back now," Hermione said unbuttoning his shirt. "We're stuck with each other."

"Forever," Harry pressed his lips to her neck.

"Mmmhmm," Hermione murmured.

He untied her sundress and drew it down. "All mine this time..."

"Always," Hermione corrected. "Always yours."

"You know..." Harry said, nuzzling her skin. "I haven't once thought about what's going on back home."

"In Vancouver?" Hermione asked closing her eyes.

"In London," he answered.

"Me either," Hermione whispered.

"I can't' believe it's only been a week," Harry pulled her on top of him. "Everything has changed."

"Except for this," Hermione said leaning down and kissing him.

Harry ran his hands over her back through her hair.

"This is always going to be great," Hermione said huskily.

Harry could only nod in agreement.

Hermione arched against him. "Speechless?"

He nodded again, not trusting his voice.

Hermione ran her hands down his bare chest. "I promise I'll go easy since we're on a case."

"Don't you hold back, Granger." Harry told her.

Hermione grinned. "Okay, but you asked for it..."

-->