Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors note: It's been a busy week for the two of us so sorry to be posting this a little later than usual. We hope you enjoy it!

Harry," Hermione whimpered, forgetting that she was playing a part.

"Janie," Harry opened his eyes.

"Is he still watching?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," Harry answered. "Let's get back inside..."

Hermione kissed him again as he carried her back inside.

"You have to be more careful than that," Harry said once he'd slid the door shut. "You can't call me Harry anywhere outside this room."

Hermione blushed. "I know that. I just forget for a second."

Harry nodded as he flopped back onto the bed.

Hermione grabbed a book and went into the sitting room. She cursed herself for calling him by his real name in the heat of the moment. The last thing she wanted was for him to know he still got to her.

Harry found a remote and turned on the telly, mindlessly flipping channels. He was a bit stunned that Hermione would slip up and call him by his real name like that.

A few minutes later, Hermione came back into the bedroom. She hadn't been able to get into her book and she felt wired. "I'm bored," she admitted.

"Me too," Harry turned off the telly.

"We could play a game," Hermione suggested.

"Like what?" Harry sat up.

"I brought Scrabble and a chess board and there's also Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit," Hermione said. "They were in the closet."

"You BROUGHT them with you?" Harry raised his eyebrows.

Hermione looked defensive. "Well, I knew we'd have some time to kill and I thought it would be a good idea. I shrunk them down into my purse."

Harry stuffed a pillow over his face and groaned loudly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "What? I was thinking it would be a good way to pass the time. Excuse me."

Harry could think of a better way to pass the time but he didn't vocalise it. "I'm no good at any of those games." he complained instead.

"Well, I'm rubbish at chess, but so-so at Monopoly," Hermione said. "We'd be on an even playing field. Come on. And the hotel left us champagne and strawberries."

"Now that sounds good," Harry sat up. He reached for the bottle and popped the cork.

Hermione grabbed the tray of strawberries and settled down on the bed as Harry poured them a glass of champagne.

"Thank you," she said as she pulled the Monopoly board out of her purse and grew it to regular size.

Harry shook his head. "I bet we're the only honeymooners who have ever played Monopoly the first night. Hell, probably at any point in the honeymoon."

"We're not honeymooning," Hermione pointed out.

"I know that," Harry said watching as she set the board out in the middle of the bed. "I was just saying."

Hermione gave him a look as she sipped her champagne. "What piece do you want to be?"

Harry looked at the pieces and finally picked up the horse. "This okay?'

"Fine," Hermione answered. "I'm always the terrier."

"I've only placed this twice," Harry told her. "Dudley used to make me play with him and he used to make up his own rules."

"Like what?" Hermione asked, doling out the money.

"Like every time I passed go, instead of collecting 200 pounds, I had to pay him the money," Harry said. "And of course, he owned all the properties."

"That's horrible," Hermione frowned.

"That's Dudley," Harry said. "But thankfully, I didn't have to live with him for too much longer. When I turned 11, Sirius found me."

She nodded. "All right... well how about to make up for what Dudley did; I'll give you a head start. You can have two properties- NOT Boardwalk or Park Place though."

Harry grinned. "Its okay, Granger. We can play as equals. If I win, I want to do it fair and square."

She shrugged. "Have it your way."

Harry didn't tell her that if he had it his way, the two of them would be under these sheets, not playing a game on top of them.

Hermione started by rolling the dice and moving her piece. "Oh- when you have to pay a tax, put the money in the middle. Whoever lands on Free Parking gets the cash."

Harry took a sip of champagne thinking this was going to be a long, long night.

"You could look a little more enthused," Hermione remarked.

"Sorry," Harry said reaching for a strawberry. "These aren't that bad, actually."

"They're pretty good," she agreed. "I love strawberries. It's my favourite fruit."

Harry rolled the dice and then moved his piece. "Community chest....okay, let's see what this card says..."

Hermione laughed. "Go straight to jail. Do not pass go and do not collect $200..."

"Lovely," Harry said sarcastically. "You love this, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Hermione replied.

Harry moved his game piece to the jail box on the board. "So how do I get out of this?"

"You lose a turn," Hermione said gleefully.

Harry raised his glass to her. "You're in heaven with this, aren't you?"

Hermione only smiled as she took her two turns in a row. She sipped her champagne as Harry rolled the dice again.

He started to enjoy himself as they continued to play. The champagne had loosened Hermione up and they started to talk more than play the game. "Who was your best instructor?" Harry asked her.

"McGonagall," Hermione answered. "She was like my mentor."

"She's kind of strict," Harry said. "And a little scary."

"Not if you get to know her like I did," Hermione poured herself more champagne. She was feeling quite a pleasant buzz.

"You know what I'm still having a hard time believing?" Harry asked. "You hooked up with Ron."

Hermione groaned. "We never hooked up! We kissed a couple times! That was it!"

"You secretly lurve him," Harry cackled. "You want to have his babies...."

Hermione hit his shoulder. "I do not!"

"Ow!" Harry yelped. "Okay, I take it back. I just can't believe you stopped arguing with him long enough to kiss him."

"It was a big, big mistake." Hermione said, nodding. "Yes, a mistake!"

Harry chuckled. "Hermione Weasley sounds just about as great as Ginny Potter, doesn't it?"

"Yuck," Hermione made a face, holding out her empty glass.

Harry reached for the bottle. "Okay, let's move onto less disgusting topics. What was your most embarrassing moment?"

"I don't have one," Hermione replied as Harry filled her glass.

"Of course you do," Harry said. "Everyone has them. I do."

"I can't think of anything though," Hermione complained, laying back on the pillows

"Mine was you kicking my arse in the Room of Requirement," Harry told her.

Hermione began to laugh. "I'd forgotten all about that!"

"Here I was thinking that I'd teach you a few things," Harry said. "And then you flatten me three, four times in the span of ten minutes."

"And I could do it again," Hermione grinned at him.

"That thought keeps me up at nights," Harry said. "Okay, Granger. One last strawberry. You want it?"

"Yes," Hermione reached for it but he pulled it away.

"You automatically assume that you'll get it?" Harry teased holding it out of her reach.

"Please?" Hermione asked.

"Don't give me those eyes," he said firmly. "It doesn't work on me."

"Come on," Hermione sat up and reached for it.

"Well, you did say please," Harry relented.

Hermione grinned at him as she leaned over to take it from his hand. "Oops!" she squealed as she fell onto his lap.

"You're pissed," Harry said laughing.

"I am not," she began to giggle.

"Uh-huh," Harry said holding the strawberry out to her.

Instead of taking it with her hand, she leaned over and bit into the juicy berry.

Harry couldn't take his eyes off of her. "Hermione..."

"Hmm?" she asked.

Harry shifted her off of his lap.

She giggled. "Oh," she said looking down at his trousers. "Did I do that?"

"Yeah..." he gazed at her.

"Sorry..." she licked her lower lip, seemingly unaware of the effect her actions were having on him.

"No, you're not sorry," Harry said softly.

She shook her head. "I'm really not..."

"You know a gentleman wouldn't take advantage of you in this state," Harry said.

"Ohhh..." Hermione sipped her glass. "But you aren't really one, are you?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I'm not."

She let out another squeal as he pulled her on top of him.

Her empty glass fell to the carpet and Harry groaned before kissing her.

Giving into it completely, Hermione put her arms around his neck, opening her mouth under his.

He didn't dare say anything for fear that she'd tell him to stop. But a voice in the back of his head told him that this was wrong. He was taking advantage of her and when they woke up in the morning, she'd be angry when she remembered what they'd done.

"Mmm..." Hermione arched herself against him.

He pushed her back onto the bed and she giggled. "Ouch!"

"Sorry," he said, brushing her hair back.

"It's not you," she said giggling even harder. "Your horse pressed into my back."

"My what?" Harry asked.

"Your horse!" Hermione plucked the tiny silver figure out from under her.

"Sorry," Harry said resting his forehead against hers.

"This is nice," Hermione put her arms back around his neck.

"Would you be the saying the same thing if you weren't pissed?" Harry asked her.

"I'm not pissed," Hermione giggled.

"Yes you are," Harry said tickling her side.

She laughed and tried to push him away. "Stop!" she squealed.

"See? Harry asked her. "You never squeal so you have to be pissed."

"That is not even true," Hermione pulled him down and tried to kiss him again.

Harry wanted very much to kiss her back, but not like this. "Hermione, wait---"

She was reaching for his zipper. "Okay, Hermione, get out of there....wait...."

"You know you want it," she said flirtatiously.

Harry covered her hands with his. "I do, but not like this. You're pissed and this isn't the real you. The real you would be telling me that we should think about the assignment...."

"Assignment?" Hermione gazed up at him.

"James and Janie Montgomery?" Harry asked her. "Ringing any bells?"

Hermione groaned. "Yes but--"

"I really would like to Hermione," Harry said softly. "Very much so. But, not like this. I guess...I guess I'm more of a gentleman than I thought."

Hermione stared at him a few moments. "I guess I can't fault you for that," she said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"No need to apologise," Harry told her as he sat up. "Who knew a Monopoly game could turn into this?"

"I think I crushed the horse," Hermione said ruefully.

"It's okay," Harry said. "You were winning anyway."

"Once you own Boardwalk and Park Place you pretty much have the game wrapped up," Hermione packed the pieces and the board away.

Harry stood up and started to pace.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

Harry was trying to think of every disgusting thing in the world. He took one look at Hermione and he hastily excused himself to go into the bathroom.

"Harry!" Hermione called after him.

"Just a minute!" he called, locking the door.

Hermione felt a little woozy so she settled back down on the bed. "Are you okay?" she called out weakly.

"Fine," Harry called. "Why?"

"I think I need to get in there," Hermione held her stomach.

"Now?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Hermione said weakly walking over to the loo. "Please---"

He heard her lean against the door. "Are you going to be sick?"

"Just please let me in!" Hermione closed her eyes.

A few moments later Harry finally opened the door and Hermione rushed past him.

He winced at the sound of her retching. "Um... I'll be out here..." he said, escaping into the bedroom.

Harry sat down on the edge of the bed and put his head in his hands. His "honeymoon" was spent playing a stupid board game, watching his "wife" get pissed, turning her down for sex, and then having to take care of business himself in the bathroom before she had to throw up.

"Merlin..." Hermione came out and leaned against the door frame. "Why the hell did I drink so much?"

Harry walked over to the minibar and retrieved a bottle of ginger ale. He silently poured her a glass.

"Thank you," she muttered, sipping it slowly.

Harry nodded. "I shouldn't have let you drink so much."

"It was my fault for doing it," Hermione looked over at him.

Harry looked over at the clock. It was only two in the afternoon. They had a long night ahead of them. "Why don't you lie down?"

"Maybe I'll kip for a little while," Hermione nodded, setting the glass on the nightstand.

Harry nodded. "Do you want me to sit with you until you go to sleep?"

"Sure," Hermione answered softly.

Harry settled down on the bed and Hermione nestled herself in his arms. "You want to know something?"

"Sure," she said.

"Do you remember when we were at Hogwarts and we talked about going on holiday together?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Hermione replied. "We talked about going somewhere warm, just the two of us."

"I thought about bringing you here," Harry admitted.

Despite the queasiness in her stomach, she had to smile. "It does seem ideal." she agreed.

"Too bad we're on assignment," Harry said softly.

Hermione closed her eyes as he tightened his arms around her. She wasn't sure if this was good or not, but she could feel herself falling in love with him all over again already.

"I'm not going anywhere," Harry whispered closing his eyes.

"Me either," she answered.

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione woke up feeling rather disgusted with herself. Her head was pounding and she recalled her idiotic behaviour with Harry while she had been pissed.

Easing herself from under Harry's arm, she went into the bathroom and took a long, hot shower.

Harry still wasn't awake when she came out.

"Some things never change," she muttered as she walked over to the bed to wake him. "Harry-"

"Five more minutes..." he mumbled.

Hermione sat down on the edge of the bed. "Come on. We have to go to that welcoming breakfast, remember?"

"I'm not hungry," Harry buried his face in the pillow.

"Yes, but Dolohov is expecting the Montgomerys," Hermione said reaching for the pillow, but he wasn't about to give it up. "Come on!"

"We'll tell him we were still shagging," Harry muttered.

"You most certainly will not," Hermione said shoving him. "Come on. We have a job to do, remember? You can sleep later."

Harry looked at her with one eye. "Do we really have to go?"

"Yes, we really have to go," Hermione said. "Take a shower. It'll wake you up."

"Are you going to join me?" he asked mischievously.

Hermione blushed. "No. I just finished with my shower. I just need to style my hair and change into my clothes. I doubt the hotel guests would like me to show up in just my dressing gown."

"I know I wouldn't mind..." Harry mumbled before stumbling into the loo.

Hermione shook her head. He certainly hadn't changed that much over the years. She still had to make him do things and he still fought her every step of the way.

She brushed out her hair- it was much easier to take care of the way it was now- and put on a bit of makeup.

Harry was still grumpy when he came out of the bathroom, his hair still damp from his shower.

"You look nice," she offered.

"Thanks," he said absently.

"Are you going to be able to play your part?" Hermione asked a bit sharply.

"Yeah," he said running his hand through his hair. "You can count on me."

"I hope so," Hermione tied the straps of her sundress around her neck.

"You look nice too," Harry said.

"Thanks," Hermione said softly.

Harry buttoned his shirt. "You feel okay this morning? Not hungover?"

"I'm all right," Hermione answered.

"I've never seen you like that," he commented.

Hermione turned red. "Was I that bad?"

"Just a little," Harry said. "We went over your whole romance with Ron."

"Ugh," Hermione rolled her eyes as she collected her bag.

"Come on, honey," Harry said grinning at her. "It's show time."

She nodded. "I'm starving."

Harry locked the door behind them and together they set off for the resort's main dining room. It was an absolutely beautiful day with not a cloud in the sky. Harry reached for Hermione's hand.

In character, Hermione smiled at him. "I'm glad we decided to honeymoon here," she said as they passed a few people.

"Me too," Harry said looking adoringly at her.

She leaned in and they kissed right there on the path.

"I love you," Harry said for good measure when a staff member passed them.

"Love you," she said, her heart beating faster at his look.

Harry kept looking at her before he remembered that they were here for business. "Um, we should go. Come on, Janie."

"Right," Hermione grinned at him. "You tired me out last night... now I'm starving."

Harry grinned and gave her bum a little squeeze before they entered the dining room. The host greeted them warmly. "May I help you?"

"We were invited for breakfast," Hermione showed the host the invitation.

"Ah yes," the host said. "Mr. Dolohov is waiting for you with the other newcomers."

"He probably wants to weed out the rich from the mediocre," Harry said in her ear as they followed the host.

"James and Janie Montgomery," the host announced when they reached the round table.

Antonin Dolohov stood up and smiled at them. "Welcome,"

Harry shook his hand. "I'm sorry we're late, Mr. Dolohov. We had a bit of a late night, if you know what I mean..."

"Of course," Dolohov replied. He took Hermione's hand and kissed the back of it. She had to try not to show her revulsion.

"Janie," Harry said holding out her chair.

"Thanks," Hermione sent him what she hoped looked like a loving smile.

"You're not the only newlyweds," Dolohov told them. "Marsha and Tim Stanley arrived yesterday like you did."

"We won this trip on a raffle," Marsha announced proudly, in a thick accent. "We couldn't have afforded it otherwise."

"How lovely," Hermione nodded and smiled at them.

"And how did you end up here?" Tim asked Harry. "James, is it?"

Harry nodded. "We heard from a few people how nice this place was... so Janie and I decided to chance it and come here."

"I've always wanted to come here," Hermione confided as a waitress set glasses of juice before them.

"What line of work are you in, James?" Dolohov asked.

"I'm about to start law school, actually," Harry recalled his and Hermione's planning session.

"And I teach primary school," Hermione said reaching for Harry's hand.

"You two will be under financial strains then?" Dolohov asked bluntly. "I can't imagine that a career in education pays all that well and law school can be quite expensive."

"I lost my parents at an early age," Harry said, speaking the truth. "We were... rather wealthy. Janie won't want for anything with me."

Dolohov's eyes practically lit up at this bit of news.

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand. "I would have married James regardless."

Harry smiled at her, leaning in to give her a kiss. "We're both pretty lucky," he replied, again speaking the truth. His feelings for Hermione were resurfacing already, but he wasn't quite sure how he felt about that yet.

"I realise that you're on your honeymoon, Mr. Montgomery," Dolohov said. "But tomorrow night, I'm having a private poker game. Do you play?"

"Sometimes," Harry chose his words carefully.

"Perhaps you'd like to join us tomorrow evening," Dolohov said. "My private quarters at 11."

Harry looked at Hermione. "Perhaps," he said. "I really just want to spend time with my wife, but if I feel up for it--:"

"Come on James," Hermione whined. "We didn't come here for you to play cards."

"I won't go if you don't want me to, love." Harry slid his arm around her.

"I just think that there are better ways that you could spend your time," Hermione said winking at him.

Dolohov smirked. "Of course, Mr. Montgomery..."

"Maybe another time?" Harry asked.

"Of course," Dolohov looked a bit put out.

Hermione looked across the table. "Do these games last very long, Mr. Dolohov?"

"That depends, Mrs. Montgomery," he replied as a plate was set before him.

"I suppose it couldn't hurt if James played a few rounds," Hermione said helping herself to some fruit.

"Who wears the trousers in your family, Montgomery?" one of the other men asked causing the others to laugh.

Hermione gave them all a dirty look. "So you're saying a man has to prove himself by playing cards?" she asked sharply.

"I--I didn't say that," Tim stammered. "I was just saying that---"

Marsha glared at her husband. "Oh, shut up, Timothy! That was a horrible thing to say."

Hermione selected a banana from the table. "Well I guess if the rest of you have something to prove..." she peeled it and slid it into her mouth. "I can already tell you lot that you have nothing on my husband..." she boldly deep throated the fruit, much to the shock of the rest of them at the table.

Harry was left speechless.

"We meant you no offence, Mrs. Montgomery," Dolohov apologised.

Hermione smiled. "I'm glad to hear that." she set the banana peel down.

"If you can make it to the game, fine," Dolohov said. "If not, there will be other times."

"I'll take you up on it at some point," Harry promised. "But right now my only priority is Janie here."

"As it should be," Dolohov said. He raised his glass. "To our new guests."

Harry and Hermione glanced at each other and toasted everyone else.

The rest of the breakfast was pretty uneventful as the other couples answered Dolohov's questions. Their host seemed bored and uninterested in the details. He did, however, study Harry and Hermione several times throughout the meal.

"We should go shopping at some point," Hermione made sure to say. "I'd like to bring some gifts back home to our friends."

"I can recommend some places," Dolohov told her.

"That would be lovely," Hermione said. "I want to bring back some nice things, not junk."

"Of course," Dolohov said trying to hide his grin.

"Go easy on me, Janie," Harry teased.

"Never," Hermione said, leaning in to kiss him.

"I'll have one of the staff drop by a list of the finer quality shops on the islands," Dolohov told her. "And just let me know when you'd like to go, we can arrange transportation for you."

"Thank you Mr. Dolohov," Hermione replied in a gracious tone.

"Now," Harry said pushing back from his chair. "If you'll excuse us, I think my wife and I would like to get back to our room. Janie?"

Hermione grinned. "Thank you for the lovely breakfast," she told their host.

"Anytime," Dolohov said warmly. "I do hope to see you at the game, Mr. Montgomery."

"We'll see," Harry said pulling Hermione close.

They left the restaurant and headed back for their room on the other side of the resort. "You were bloody brilliant!" Harry said.

Hermione beamed at him. "You weren't so bad, either."

"I can't believe you did that with the banana," Harry replied.

"You liked that, did you?" Hermione asked walking ahead of him.

"I have to say I did," Harry replied, quickening his step. "It's a talent I didn't know you possessed."

"It's not me," Hermione said. "It's all Janie."

"Well yeah but--" Harry began.

"You're wondering where I learned it," Hermione commented.

"Among other things," Harry answered.

"Such as?" Hermione asked using the key card to let them into their cottage.

"You don't even want to know where my mind went when I saw you do that," Harry answered.

"I think I can guess," Hermione said stepping inside.

Harry stared at her as if he'd never seen her before. "You still surprise me," he closed the door behind them.

Hermione couldn't help but grin at his words. There was something though that she had wanted to ask him, but she'd put off. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Harry tossed his wallet onto the dresser.

"Not that I care or anything," Hermione said trying to sound neutral. "But over the years, I saw some photographs of you in the papers and the gossip columns kept reporting that you....well, that you got around quite a bit in Vancouver."

Harry grinned. "You weren't jealous were you?"

Hermione knew she shouldn't have brought this up. "No, of course not. I was just curious."

"I had a few flings," Harry confessed. "But there wasn't anything serious..."

"That's the difference between you and me," Hermione said. "I could never do that with someone I didn't care about."

Harry watched her walk to the closet. "Hermione..."

Hermione didn't turn around. "It's your life, Harry. You can do what you want with whomever you want."

"Those girls meant nothing to me," Harry said. "Not after what I had with you."

"What we had is over," Hermione said, her back still to him. "You left."

"You wanted me to leave!" Harry exclaimed. "I was willing to stay the rest of the year! I wasn't even going to go to Vancouver!"

"You pushed me away," Hermione reminded him, finally turning to look at him. "Time and time again. I didn't want to put myself through that."

"I did what I thought was best at the time," Harry said quietly.

"If you loved me, why would you do that?" Hermione asked stepping closer.

"Because I didn't want you to be hurt," Harry replied. "I realise it was wrong, but I was scared."

"You hurt me by pushing me away," Hermione said. "I loved you so much."

Harry was surprised to feel his stomach plummet. "Loved?" he asked.

Hermione looked at him. "What do you want from me?"

"I don't know," Harry said honestly.

"It took me a long time to get over you," Hermione said softly. "I don't want to put myself through this again when you're just going to leave again or have the same hang-ups."

He wanted to tell her he didn't feel that way anymore- that he wanted to be with her and only her. But Harry wasn't even sure when those feelings had come back- or how true they were.

"I'm going to call Sirius," Hermione said wanting to get away from him. "Let him know how things are going so far."

"Okay," Harry answered, mentally kicking himself in the arse.

Hermione pushed past him and headed for the bedroom. She closed the door behind her.

"You fucking idiot!" Harry cursed himself. "Be a bloody man and tell her how you feel."

He made a move for the bedroom door, but stopped.

On the other side, Hermione had heard every word he had just said to himself. Part of her wanted to go to him, but she held herself back.

She wasn't going to put herself through this again. She still loved him and wanted nothing more than to be with him, but she wasn't going to intentionally set herself up for heartbreak.

Harry knocked softly on the door. "Have you got Sirius on the line?" he asked quietly.

Hermione hastily reached for her mobile phone. "I--I was about to ring him. You can come in, if you want."

Harry cracked open the door. "Thanks."

Hermione punched the number into the keypad and tried to avoid looking at Harry.

He sat down next to her on the bed awkwardly.

"Sirius?" Hermione asked. "Hey, it's us."

"Hey there," Sirius replied. "How are things going? Anything to report yet?"

She briefly told him about checking in and then about the breakfast that morning. "Do you think he should go tomorrow?" she asked Sirius.

"I still think he should decline the first invitation," Sirius answered. "Make Dolohov want to invite you more."

"That's what we were thinking," Hermione said holding the phone so Harry could hear too.

"I just think it'll make Dolohov pursue you more," Sirius told them both. "We want you in his circle, Harry."

"He did perk up when I mentioned our back story," Harry said.

"I figured as much," Sirius said.

"We're just going to hang out here for awhile and then probably go out on the beach," Harry told him.

"Just act as natural as possible, but be observant," Sirius advised. "Let us know as soon as you find out anything."

"We will," Hermione promised. "Thanks, Sirius."

"You two newlyweds have fun," Sirius answered.

Hermione clicked off the phone. "He's enjoying this too much, isn't he?"

"He always does," Harry said wryly.

Hermione realised how close they were sitting. "So, um, you want go on the beach later?"

"Might be a good idea," Harry said, already envisioning her in a bikini.

"I'm going to do a bit of reading before we go out," Hermione said. "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know," Harry replied. "Um... maybe take a shower or something."

"You already took a shower before we left for the breakfast," Hermione reminded him. "Harry, are you alright?"

"Fine," he answered quickly

"I think that it would be best if we kept things professional between us," Hermione said quietly. "We really don't want to jeopardize this case."

Harry couldn't even begin to convey his disappointment at her words. "Fine," he said again. "That's just fine."

"It's for the best," Hermione said. She looked away from him. "It's hard looking at you with brown eyes."

"It is?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Yeah," Hermione said wishing she knew when to shut her big mouth. "I should let you do whatever it is you were going to do..."

"Take a shower," Harry stood up. "Yeah... let's say we'll go to the beach in about a half hour?"

"Okay," Hermione said raising an eyebrow at him. "That sounds good."

He only nodded before escaping to the bathroom.

Hermione walked over to the nightstand and retrieved her book. She suddenly remembered that the only swimming costumes she brought with her were the racy ones that Lavender had helped her pick out.

"Merlin help me," she muttered. She was already falling back in love with him.