Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Here's the latest installment in Cayman Undercover. You get a little bit of everyone in this chapter and a little thing we like to call a cliffie at the end. We hope you like it…

"Go away," Neville barked.

"Please," Ginny pleaded. "Let me in, Neville. I need to talk to you."

Neville threw open the door and glared at her. "You and Draco want to shag in here while I watch?"

"No," Ginny shook her head. "It was a mistake. The worst mistake of my life."

Neville stood back, motioning for her to come inside. Merlin knew he'd given the hospital staff enough to gossip about. He shut the door behind her.

"Funny how I'm always the one who pays for your mistakes," Neville said angrily.

"I don't ask that you forgive me now," Ginny wiped her eyes. "But maybe sometime--"

Neville shook his head. "I can't forgive this. Ginny, I fell for you again. Do you have any idea what it was like to let you back in after what happened the last time? I thought you'd changed!"

"I have!" Ginny said in a pleading tone. "I have changed! I just made one mistake!"

"Draco Malfoy is a big mistake," Neville said bitterly. "Of all people, why him?"

"I don't know," Ginny said miserably.

Neville sank down onto his sofa. "He doesn't respect you, Ginny. He never has. I would have...I was actually thinking we'd make a life together. Joke's on me yet again."

"No it's not," Ginny sat down next to him. "You are not a joke."

A thought niggled in the corner of his brain. He hadn't been completely honest with her, either. "I kissed Cho," he blurted out.

"What?" Ginny asked.

"The other night," Neville said. "I kissed Cho. She and I are really good friends and she told me that she had feelings for me and one thing led to another and we kissed."

Ginny wordlessly looked at him.

"So I guess neither of us have been faithful," he said with a short laugh. "Some relationship."

"Do you have feelings for her?" Ginny asked.

Neville nodded silently.

"Neville," Ginny softly. "I don't want to be with Draco. Despite what you saw..."

"I can't be with you, Ginny." Neville interrupted her. "Not now. Not again."

Ginny had expected that. "I don't deserve you."

"And I'm not much better," Neville looked straight at her. "We wouldn't be able to trust each other."

Ginny nodded. "Can we still be friends?"

"We can try," Neville answered. "Just... probably not right away."

"I'm sorry," Ginny said. "I really am."

"Me too," Neville didn't want to look over at her. "I need to get back to work."

"I'm going to go to Ron and Luna's," Ginny said. "She asked for my help on the wedding."

"Good luck," Neville replied.

Ginny gave him a hug. "All I want is for you to be happy."

Neville patted her back awkwardly. "You too..."

Ginny pulled away and forced a smile. "Bye."

"Bye," he answered, walking her walk out the door.

Ginny looked at him. "Neville, I really have changed. The old me would be working on some way to scheme and get you back, but I'm not going to do that. I'd like to think that I grew up a little."

He nodded but didn't say anything.

Ginny gave him one last look before heading back down the corridor.

Neville watched her disappear into the lift then turned and went back into the office. Cho hadn't said anything about what they had just seen, only offered to clear the next floor then come back and check on him.

It occurred to him that there were two patients that he hadn't visited in quite some time. He walked out of his office and took the lift down to the fourth floor---the place his parents had called home for quite some time.

He knocked on the door to Room 412 and stuck his head inside. "Mum?"

Alice Longbottom looked up and smiled as Neville entered the room. She made a noise, one he knew meant she recognised him.

"I haven't been by to see you in awhile," Neville apologised. "I'm sorry about that."

Alice smiled again and reached into the open drawer at her side.

"What have you got there?" Neville asked sitting down on the edge of her bed.

Alice made that noise again and held out a wrapper to him.

"Thanks," Neville smiled at her. He placed the wrapper in his pocket. He'd never thrown away a single one. "I'm working really hard to make you better. I really am and I just---"

The door opened in that moment and to Neville's surprise, Cho stepped in. "Oh!" she said. "I didn't know you'd be in here..."

"I wanted to see how they were doing," Neville said. He looked at his mother who looked warily at the young woman. "She's my friend, Mum. She's been here to see you plenty of times."

Alice looked pensively then her eyes cleared. She made the noise again and Frank Longbottom stirred in the next bed.

"Dad," Neville said smiling at him.

Frank looked lost for a moment as his eyes skipped between Neville and Cho then sat down beside his wife.

"Mrs. Longbottom, would you like it if I brushed your hair?" Cho asked gently.

"She probably would," Neville told her.

Cho picked up the brush from the bedside table and stood behind Alice. "I won't hurt you. I promise."

Alice looked first over at Neville then at Frank.

"It's okay Mum," Neville reached for her hand.

Alice gave Neville a slight smile. Cho gently began to brush Alice's hair.

"The nurse at the desk said they'd had a good day today," Cho told Neville.

Neville nodded. "I'm glad."

"How----how are you?" Cho asked.

"I don't want to talk about it right now," Neville shook his head.

Frank handed Neville a comic book.

"You want me to read this to you, Dad?" Neville asked.

Frank smiled at him before pointing to the cover.

Neville smiled. "The latest edition of Martin Miggs."

Frank made a noise that sounded suspiciously like a laugh.

Neville grinned too. "It's a good one, isn't it?"

Frank pointed at the cover again and Neville chuckled. "Okay...let's see what he's up to now."

Cho watched Neville interact with his father as she gently brushed Alice's tangled hair. "There now," she said after several minutes. "You look so pretty..."

Alice smiled and patted Cho's hand.

"You have a wonderful son, Alice." Cho said softly. "We're lucky to have him here on staff."

Neville looked up from the comic book and smiled at Cho. "Thank you."

Cho smiled back. "I meant every word."

Neville finished reading the comic book to his father. "I'll bring you another one tomorrow, Dad. I promise."

Frank took hold of Neville's hand. He looked as if he wanted to say something.

"Dad?" Neville asked, concern etched across his face.

"Nnnnnnnev....Neville," Frank stammered.

Smiles spread across both Neville and Cho's faces. "That's... that's great Dad." Neville said, tears springing to his eyes.

Tears shone in Cho's eyes too as she watched Neville hug his father.

"Things will get better," Neville said. "I'll get you both back, I promise."

Cho followed him out of the room a few moments later. "He said your name, Neville!"

"I know," Neville was still in a bit of shock. "I... I can't believe it."

"That's a huge step," Cho said giving him a hug. "You did that."

Neville hugged her back tightly. "With your help."

"You'll get them back," Cho said softly. "I know you will."

Neville pulled back and looked at her. "I couldn't do it without you."

Cho smiled at him. "I'd do anything for you. You know that."

Neville nodded. "I'm a fool, Cho."

"Yes you are," Cho said hitting him playfully on the arm.

The corner of his mouth tugged up. "I'm not asking you to do it now, but you think soon you could give me a second chance?"

"You chose her," Cho reminded him. "I feel like the winner by default, Neville."

Neville nodded. "I understand if you don't want to anymore. We can still be friends I hope." he was deeply disappointed but he could understand where she was coming from.

"It's not that I don't want to," Cho reassured him. "It's just that you chose her first and now that she's shown her true colours, you're back to me."

He looked at her for a long moment. "What do you want me to do?"

Cho met his gaze. "Show me that you're with me because I'm the only one you want."

At first, he wasn't sure what to do, but after a moment he pulled her close and kissed her.

Cho was a little surprised at his action, but it didn't take her long to get into the moment. She pulled away a few moments later and smiled dazedly at him. "That's...that's a good place to start."

"I love you," he said. "I know it may seem like I'm jumping the gun, but I do. You're my best friend, Cho."

"Let's just start over," Cho said softly. "We can just see what happens."

"I can do that," he squeezed her hand.

"We should get back to rounds," Cho said smiling at him.

"Right," Neville nodded. "Work first."

"Play later," Cho said nudging him.

Neville smiled at her. "Lots of play?"

"Later," Cho said grabbing him by the collar. "Come on, loverboy."

*** *** ***

Since their first dinner date, Charlie and Lavender had gotten together every night since then. They either went out for something to eat or stayed in at her place. He was due to head back to Romania that next day and so she accompanied him to the Burrow for lunch.

"Mum's been cooking up a storm since this morning," Charlie said as they walked in the door. "I think she's trying to convince me to stay by cooking like this and reminding me what I'm missing."

"They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach," Lavender said smiling at him.

Charlie laughed as he took her hand. "That's definitely true when it comes to Mum's cooking."

"Charlie!" Molly called out. "Is that you?"

"It's me and Lav," Charlie answered.

Molly hurried out of the kitchen and smiled warmly at Lavender. "Hello, Lavender. I'm so glad you could join us today."

"Thank you Mrs. Weasley," Lavender replied. "I appreciate you inviting me today."

"I hope you're hungry," Molly said. "I made all of my Charlie's favourites."

"Starved," Lavender nodded.

"All my favourites?" Charlie asked with a grin. "Including biscuits?"

Molly grinned. "Yes and everyone's coming in for it."

"Everyone?" Lavender asked.

Molly nodded. "Bill and Fleur and their little ones. Fred and George. Ron and Luna, of course. Ginny. Great Aunt Muriel...."

"Wow," Charlie replied. "Such a gathering." he looked over at Lavender, who suddenly seemed apprehensive.

"I just wish your father would come out of his office and help me," Molly said. "Ginny and I have been doing it all ourselves."

"How is Ginny?" Lavender asked. "It's... it's been awhile since I've seen her."

"Nursing a broken heart I'm afraid," Molly said. "She and Neville didn't work out."

"Does she need me to go set him straight?" Charlie asked.

Molly shook her head. "She said it was mutual."

"Okay," Charlie nodded.

Lavender turned to see a little girl with long blonde hair barrelling toward Charlie. "Bonjour, Uncle Charlie!"

"Bonjour, little one," Charlie said scooping her up. "Is it my imagination or have you gotten bigger since the last time I saw you?"

"Much bigger," the little girl said, her bright blue eyes resting on Lavender."

Charlie followed her gaze. "Simone Amelie Weasley. This is my friend, Lavender."

"Bonjour," Simone smiled at her.

"Hello," Lavender greeted the child. "It's lovely to meet you Simone."

Fleur stepped forward with Tristan. "And this is our oldest, Tristan."

"You look just like your father," Lavender told him.

"By that, I hope you mean handsome and charming," Bill said putting an arm around Fleur.

Lavender smiled. "Of course, not as handsome or charming as his Uncle Charlie..."

"I think I'm going to keep you around," Charlie said winking at her.

"She's pretty," Simone whispered to her uncle.

"Quite so," Charlie whispered back. "I'm glad you think so too."

"Mrs. Weasley, can I help you in the kitchen?" Lavender offered.

"That's very sweet of you, Lavender," Mrs. Weasley beamed at her. "We could use some help bringing things to the table."

Lavender followed Molly into the kitchen and saw Ginny stirring something on the stove. She had never really gotten along with the redhead, but she'd have to learn to since she was part of Charlie's family.

"Hello, Ginny," Lavender said warmly.

Ginny looked over at her. "Hi..."

Molly handed Lavender an apron. "I don't want you to get your clothes dirty."

"Thank you," Lavender tied it on.

"I'm going to finish these biscuits," Molly said. "Lavender, could you take that batch and put them in the basket?"

"Sure," Lavender moved to the tray and began doing as Molly asked. "So um... how are you Ginny? It's been a few years..."

"I'm okay," Ginny replied. "No need to ask how you are. It must be exciting being a model."

"I do enjoy it," Lavender nodded. "I've got a cover shoot next week."

"Which magazine?" Ginny asked conversationally.

"Witch Weekly again," Lavender replied. "It's my second cover in four months for them."

"We're loyal subscribers to that magazine," Molly said. "I never miss an issue."

"I can't wait to see how your pictures turn out," Ginny told her.

"Thanks," Lavender was surprised at how nice Ginny was. "Maybe sometime if you'd like, you can come to the set."

"I'd love that," Ginny said smiling at her. "Thank you."

"I'll owl you some passes," Lavender said. "We'll have fun."

Ron came into the kitchen. "Ginevra, let me have one of those!"

Ginny slapped his hand away from the rolls. "You'll do no such thing!"

"Just one!" Ron whined.

"When have you ever had just one of anything?" Ginny asked.

"Today?" Ron asked.

Ginny looked at Lavender. "And to believe you actually gave him up?"

Lavender giggled. "He actually broke things off with me."

"Ancient history," Ron waved his hand. "Come on Gin. Give your favourite brother something to eat."

"Charlie!" Ginny called out. "Let me give my favourite brother something to eat!"

"Very, very funny," Ron replied.

"Where is Luna, dear?" Molly asked her youngest son.

"In the sitting room," Ron replied.

"I'm going to see if she needs anything," Ginny said taking off her apron.

"Thanks," Ron said, reaching for the tray.

"How's the wedding preparations going?" Lavender asked him. "Let me guess...you haven't done much..."

"Luna doesn't want me to," Ron answered, his mouth full.

"I'm really happy for you both," Lavender said sincerely.

Ron gave her a crooked smile. "I don't have to tell you that Luna's over the moon that her matchmaking worked for you and Charlie, do I?"

"She should open up a business," Lavender said happily. "I had my doubts when she suggested it."

"Seems like you're happy," Ron replied. "I'm glad for you guys."

Lavender gave him a hug. "I'm happy for you too. You do realise you'll have to wear a ring, don't you, Won Won?"

"Better than a necklace," Ron retorted with a grin.

"That was a nice necklace," Lavender pointed out. "Do you have any idea how long I saved up for it?"

"What did you do with it?" Ron asked curiously.

Lavender looked thoughtful for a few moments. "Um...well, I traded it in for a pair of sterling silver hoop earrings."

Ron laughed. "Nice."

"It might have been a little ostentatious," Lavender admitted. "But hey...we were kids back then."

"Very true," Ron nodded. "I'll give you a tip. Charlie likes emeralds."

"I'll keep that in mind," Lavender said sneaking him a biscuit. "Don't tell you, Mum."

"Not a word," Ron winked. "I'd be in as much trouble as you."

"What are you two doing?" Charlie asked from the doorway.

"Just talking," Lavender smiled at him.

"Luna was asking for you, Ron," Charlie said.

"Okay," Ron grabbed another roll and headed for the sitting room.

"I'm just helping your mum get everything ready," Lavender said. "You weren't kidding when you said she made a lot of food."

"She likes to overdo it," Charlie said coming up behind her and putting his arms around her.

Lavender leaned back against him. "I'm going to miss you after today," she said softly.

"We'll owl each other," he promised. "And we can Floo....Apparate..."

"I know," she turned around. "And I'm still coming to Romania for that shoot."

"And we have Ron's wedding," Charlie said giving her a kiss.

"We get to walk down the aisle together," Lavender put her arms around his neck. "Luna promised."

"Yes we do," Charlie said softly. "Merlin, I am going to miss you."

Lavender kissed him again, deeper this time. "We won't get to do this every day."

"We'll have to do as much of that as we can before I leave," Charlie said with a grin.

"Definitely," Lavender agreed. "Maybe after we eat, we can go take a walk."

"I'd love that," Charlie said resting his forehead on hers. "And don't you worry about my family. They're harmless."

"I know they are," Lavender replied. "Ginny's being awfully nice. I invited her to the set to visit soon."

Charlie grinned. He knew his little sister had grown up quite a bit these last few weeks. He'd always looked out for her and he was glad that she was making an effort with Lavender. "That was sweet of you, Lav."

Lavender smiled back at him and pressed her lips to his again.

Molly cleared her throat and the young couple pried sheepishly apart.

"No need to explain," Molly said chuckling.

"I'll just bring these in," Lavender said, taking the tray into the dining room.

"I like her," Molly said to her son. "She'll keep you on your toes."

"I hope so," Charlie grinned.

"I want all my children to be happy," Molly said. "If only we could get Fred and George married off..."

"I don't think there's a female out there desperate enough to take that on, Mum," Charlie said dryly.

Molly swatted his arm. "You shouldn't talk that way about your brothers."

"Mum," Charlie laughed. "You talk like that about them all the time."

"OI!" Ron called. "Are we going to eat anytime soon!"

"Not until your aunts and uncles get here," Molly shouted back. "And don't shout, Ronald! It's uncouth!"

"But I'm hungry," Ron whined, appearing in the doorway. "I'm going to die if I can't eat soon!"

"You should consider a career in theatre," Charlie said. "You're being overdramatic."

"Very funny," Ron glared at his brother.

Arthur came into the kitchen. "Something smells delicious."

"Don't you get any ideas, Arthur Weasley," Molly said. "We're waiting for the rest of the family."

"Just a taste?" Arthur asked.

Molly kissed him on the cheek. "No, my love. You have to wait."

Lavender reappeared in the door. "Is there anything else I can help you with, Mrs. Weasley?"

"No, thank you," Molly said smiling at her.

"I'll give you the grand tour," Charlie grinned at her.

Lavender took his hand and followed him out of the kitchen.

"I loved growing up here," Charlie told her as they climbed the stairs. "There was always something to do."

Lavender could certainly see why. The Burrow was such a warm, welcoming place. She felt at home here and she was glad that Charlie's family seemed to like her.

"That's Gin's room," Charlie pointed.

"She's the only one still here, right?" Lavender asked.

Charlie nodded. "The second floor has Fred and George's old rooms. They stored a lot of their stuff in there so out of concern for your safety we won't go in there. Percy's old room is there, too. You won't be seeing him today."

"He's sort of bowed out of the family, hasn't he?" Lavender asked softly. "I remember Ron talking about that."

"He forget where he came from," Charlie said bitterly. "He sold out, Lavender."

"His loss," Lavender put a hand on his arm. "You have a wonderful family, and he's an idiot for walking away like that."

"Mum keeps hoping he'll change his mind, but that's wishful thinking on her part," Charlie said. "He sends back the presents she sends him. "

"How awful," Lavender replied. "Your mum is a lovely woman."

"And she likes you," Charlie told her.

"I hope so," Lavender grinned at him. "I do plan on dating her little boy for quite some time..."

Charlie grinned back at her. "Well, her little boy is glad to hear that. Would you like to see my old room?"

"Sure," Lavender felt an excited flutter as he took her hand again.

Charlie led her up one more flight of stairs. "You'll have to forgive the mess."

Lavender shook her head. "You blokes are never tidy."

"Give me a break," Charlie said opening up the door. He stood back so she could enter first. The room was on the small side with two twin beds. Charlie's suitcase was open on the other bed with clothes strewn everywhere. Old Chudley Cannons posters adorned the walls along with old trophies and awards that he and Bill had won during their Hogwarts years.

"Wow," Lavender looked around. "This room is nice.... it's got a great view of the woods out back."

"Best view in the house," Charlie said grinning at her. "Of course, I'm a little biased."

"Maybe a little," Lavender agreed. "You're just like me though. I have clothes all over the place as well. Hermione's always nagging after me to pick up."

"I can't wait to meet her," Charlie said.

"I think a few more days, and she should be back," Lavender told him, sitting on the edge of Bill's old bed.

"I'll let you in on a secret," Charlie said sitting down beside her.

"What's that?" Lavender asked softly.

Charlie leaned in. "I've never had a girl up here."

"I find that hard to believe," she teased.

"It's the truth," Charlie said nudging her.

"Well I guess you wouldn't lie to me," she nudged him back.

"Never," Charlie said. "But aren't you glad that you're the first?"

"I've always liked being the first," Lavender answered, blushing a bit.

Charlie leaned in and kissed her.

She eagerly wrapped her arms around him, inviting him to pull her closer.

Charlie did just that, pulling her into his lap.

She was straddling him, her fingers running through his hair as their lips fused together.

"Lavender," Charlie whispered when they pulled apart.

"Yes..." she said breathlessly.

They had yet to be intimate though they'd snogged quite a few times. Charlie was trying to be a gentleman and respect the fact that she was still getting over her ex. "Um...as much as I want to do this, perhaps this isn't the best place for it?" Charlie said reluctantly.

"I know," she agreed. "If we want to go there... I'd like it to be more private."

"I don't want to rush you," Charlie said softly.

Lavender smiled at him. "You're so sweet."

"We'd better get back," Charlie said giving her a chaste kiss. "Before the others start to talk."

"We'll pick up again later," Lavender pressed her lips to his.

"Absolutely," Charlie said smiling at her.

When they finally made it back downstairs, nearly the entire Weasley family was downstairs. Lavender had never seen such a collection of redheads.

"Charles!" an older woman squealed pinching Charlie's cheeks.

"Auntie Muriel," Charlie said with false brightness. "You know, you don't have to do that every time you see me."

"Nonsense," the woman beamed at him. "You've gotten so tall!"

Charlie laughed. "I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Lavender Brown. Lavender, this is my Auntie Muriel."

"Hello dear," Muriel smiled at her. "Any friend of Charles is a friend of mine!"

"It's lovely to meet you," Lavender said but the woman had already moved on to Fred.

"If I had a sickle for every single time she told me how tall I've gotten," Charlie mused, shaking his head.

Lavender laughed. "You have gotten taller," she teased.

Charlie rolled his eyes. "Would you like to pinch my cheeks, too?"

"Don't tempt me," Lavender squeezed his hand as they sat down.

Molly stood at the head of the table. "I'm so glad that all of you could be here today! I only wish I could have made more food!"

"Here! Here!" Ron exclaimed, raising his glass.

Molly laughed. "I miss having all of my family around and it's so special when we all get together like this. Charlie, it's been so great having you back home these last few days...."

Charlie grinned. "Next time I'll stay longer."

Molly smiled back at him, but her face turned serious. "I just wish we were all here today. Percy would be here if he could, but we all know how busy he is."

Ron and Charlie exchanged looks. "Sure he's busy," Ron muttered. Luna gently elbowed his side.

"But I'm sure he'll be here for Ronnie and Luna's wedding," Molly said wiping at her eyes.

"I'm not holding my breath," Ron said, even more quietly.

Tristan nudged Fleur. "Mama, who is Percy?"

"Hush mon cher," Fleur said. "Pas maintenant."

"How about we all tuck in to this delicious meal?" Arthur suggested. "Molly, you outdid yourself!"

"Thank you Arthur," Molly nodded. "Everyone, please dig in."

"Finally," Ron reached for the huge platter of potatoes.

"I love watching you eat," Luna said dreamily.

"It's what I do best," Ron boasted.

"No it isn't," Luna grinned at him.

"One of the top three then," Ron said grinning back at her.

"I'd say your eating ranks second best," Luna replied.

"And then there's my flying," Ron said reaching for a platter of vegetables. "And my sense of humour. "

Luna smiled dreamily. "And you're all mine."

Ron gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Loony, you always know just the right thing to say."

"So do you," Luna leaned against him.

"Mum, you really didn't have to do all this for me," Charlie said to Molly.

"I miss you dear," Molly replied. "I'd make twice this much if I could."

"Can you get food like this in Romania?" Ginny asked. "Come on, Charlie. You should stay."

"My work is there," Charlie shook his head.

"And we're very proud of you," Molly said.

"Thanks," Charlie helped himself to some pasta. "I think I'll be home to visit more often." he looked at Lavender, who blushed.

"That might have something to do with your girlfriend, the model,'" George said dryly.

"That's a distinct possibility," Charlie replied.

Luna smiled across the table at Lavender. She was happy for her friend.

"Of course," Charlie continued. "Lav and I owe Luna quite a bit. She's the one who pushed us to go out."

"She might have quite a knack for it," Ron said. "She can see the future and find love for everyone."

"I cannot see the future, Ronald," Luna said blushing.

"I beg to differ," Lavender said.

"It was just a fluke," Luna said modestly. "Really."

Lavender could tell Luna was a bit embarrassed so she backed off. "I just appreciate it."

"I just want everyone to be as happy as Ronald and me," Luna said softly.

Fleur smiled at her. "Your wedding will be the most beautiful, Luna."

"Thank you, Fleur," Luna said. "I hope I look as beautiful as you did on your wedding day."

Bill chuckled. "Fleur can do that."

"Phle--I mean, Fleur really did look beautiful on her wedding day," Ginny said.

"Merci, Ginevra," Fleur said with a touch of surprise in her voice.

"Ginny helped out quite a bit today," Molly told everyone.

"I didn't do much, Mum," Ginny said.

"You made the soup," Molly shook her head.

Ginny smiled. "I used to help you all the time."

"My little girl," Molly's eyes filled with tears again. "I wish you weren't so broken hearted about that Neville."

"Mum, there's no need to cry," Ginny said. "It was mutual. Neville and I are better off as friends."

Ron stared at her. "When did that happen?"

"A few days ago," Ginny replied. "It just didn't work out, Ron."

"He didn't hurt you?" Ron asked.

Ginny shook her head. She hadn't told anyone about Malfoy. "It just was not working out."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Ginny," Luna said. "If you want to talk..."

"Thanks," Ginny sent her a half smile. "Might take you up on it."

"And you never know," Molly said. "There might be someone at the wedding who catches your eye..."

Ginny let out a weak laugh. "Don't count on it, Mum. Besides, I'm fine on my own."

The rest of the dinner passed without event and as most of the guests either left or scattered about the Burrow, Lavender, Ginny and Luna offered to clean up the kitchen so they could talk.

"I can't remember the last time I ate so much," Lavender commented.

"That's what Mum's cooking will do to you," Ginny answered.

"Ronald never gains a stone," Luna said shaking her head.

"That's not fair at all," Lavender shook her head, tossing her long blonde hair back. "He was like that at school too."

"Most blokes are like that," Ginny said picking up a stack of dishes.

Lavender began to run some water into the sink. "I really enjoyed coming here today." she said.

"The Weasleys are great, aren't they?" Luna asked. "I'm so happy that I'm going to be one of them soon. They always make you feel right at home."

Lavender smiled at her. "Luna, you were born to be a Weasley," she teased.

Luna giggled. "You think so?"

Ginny smiled at her friend. "We know so. And my brother is really lucky to have you."

"Thank you Ginny," Luna said sincerely. "I'm glad we're going to be sisters in law now."

Ginny gave her a hug. "I'm sorry for not being a better friend. I really am. I'm going to change that now. I hope you'll give me a chance."

Luna's eyes grew teary. "Of course!"

Ginny wiped at her eyes. "Thanks, Luna."

"So," Lavender said trying to lighten the mood. "Are you inviting any of the old crowd to the wedding?"

"I believe Ronald is inviting his old friends that he shared the dormitory with," Luna replied.

"I haven't seen Dean and Seamus since we left school," Lavender commented. "And I guess it goes without saying that Parvati won't be there."

"No big loss there," Ginny said quickly. "If she still blames you for what happened she doesn't deserve your friendship."

"She knew that Luna wasn't to blame, but she still held that grudge," Lavender said about her former best friend.

"As I said," Ginny replied. "Her loss."

Charlie poked his head into the room. "Lav? Want to go for that walk?"

"We can get the rest," Luna assured her.

"Thanks," Lavender said with a smile as she took Charlie's hand.

He grabbed a coat from the hall closet. "This is Gin's, but I'm sure she doesn't mind."

"Thanks," Lavender slipped into it.

"Come on, " Charlie said grabbing his own coat, too.

Lavender slid her hand back into his as they left the house. "Where to?"

Charlie looked thoughtfully at her. "How about I show you my secret hideaway?"

"You have a secret hideaway?" she asked.

Charlie nodded. "Yes, but you have to promise you will never tell a soul about it."

"My lips are sealed," Lavender promised.

Charlie squeezed her hand before leading her down the path toward the woods.

"I was telling Luna and Ginny how glad I was that I came today," Lavender told him.

"I was just telling my brothers the same thing," Charlie said putting his arm around her.

Lavender leaned happily against him. "I really am going to miss you..."

"You will probably be so busy with your photo shoots that you will forget all about the mad red-haired bloke who you took pity on," Charlie teased.

"Hardly," Lavender replied. "I think he's going to be in my thoughts more than ever."

"And every time I look at a Hungarian Horntail, I'll think of you," Charlie said trying to keep a straight face.

"What?" she squawked.

"Yes, they are very interesting creatures," Charlie continued.

"You better have meant that in a way that implies I'm fierce," Lavender poked him.

"That's exactly what I meant," Charlie said nudging her.

"Better have been," she replied.

"Come on," Charlie said. "You know that I think you are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen and I'd much rather look at you than a dragon."

Lavender grinned at him. "You really think that? Really?"

"Wouldn't have said it otherwise," Charlie said pulling her close.

Lavender put her arms around him and gave him a rather passionate kiss.

"Whoa," Charlie said breathlessly when they pulled apart. "What did I do to deserve that?"

"Just being so sweet," she said softly.

"I try," Charlie said holding her close. "Lavender Brown..."

"Hmmm..." she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'm thinking this is the start of something good," Charlie whispered.

"It definitely is," Lavender agreed, resting her forehead against his. "I didn't think I was ready... but I'd have passed up on someone incredible if I hadn't given it a chance."

"David or whatever his name is was a fool to let you go," Charlie said.

"David who?" Lavender asked. "I don't know this person..."

"I don't know him either," Charlie said giving her another kiss.

"Show me your secret place," Lavender said after they kissed again.

Charlie smiled. "Okay...."

He led her further into the woods, just off the path. "It's right in here."

"I can't see it," Lavender squinted in the darkness.

Charlie laughed. "Right here..." he lifted up some branches.

"Oh," Lavender gasped. "Charlie.."

"Pretty cool isn't it?" he asked. "I used to come here all the time when I wanted to be alone."

"And your brothers didn't know?" Lavender asked taking in the wooded shelter.

"Still don't," Charlie answered.

"Your secret is safe with me," Lavender promised.

"Thank you," he smiled at her.

"Shall we sit down?" Lavender asked.

"After you," Charlie gestured.

Lavender brushed off the leaves on the small bench and sat down.

Charlie sat down next to her. "I haven't come in here in years."

"Why not?" Lavender asked resting her head on his shoulder.

"Just haven't," he said. "I guess I thought I was too grown up for it."

"Not too grown up for me?" Lavender asked remembering how uncomfortable he'd been at first with their age difference.

"Not that grown up," he sent her an easy smile.

"Age is nothing but a number," Lavender said smiling back at him. "It doesn't matter to me."

"Doesn't matter to me either," Charlie told her. "I just like being with you. I wasn't looking for a relationship when this all started either... but I guess I just couldn't help it."

"Sometimes, people just fit," Lavender said linking her hand in his.

"I'd like to think that describes us," Charlie said softly.

"Me too," Lavender said. "Me too."

Charlie kissed her again. "I say it's time to pick back up where we left off in my room."

Lavender smiled. "I think we were right about ...here."

He was happy when she crawled back onto his lap. "You're right," he said, running his fingers down through her hair.

"You make me so happy, Charlie," Lavender whispered.

"Me too," he answered. "I can't wait to go back and brag about who I'm dating."

Lavender poked him in the side. "Charlie!"

"What?" he laughed. "Come on, you're this gorgeous, famous model. You can't blame me."

"What am I going to do with you?" Lavender asked.

"Kiss me," he answered, pulling her close again.

*** *** ***

Harry and Hermione spent the next couple of nights laying low and staying in their cottage. Sirius told them to keep a low profile while they figured out the best method of protecting the Minister. The couple didn't mind of course. Hermione was in no hurry to see either Dolohov or Monique.

Cabin fever began to set in though and Hermione convinced Harry that a midnight stroll along the beach would do them both a world of good.

"This is nice," he squeezed her hand. "I'm glad you talked me into it."

"I can talk you into anything," Hermione said leaning against him.

He smiled at her. "That you can," he squeezed her shoulders.

"With any luck we'll be able to go home in a couple of days," Hermione said.

"I hope so," Harry answered.

"You know, in many ways it feels like we've been here forever and in others it feels like we just got here," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"A lot's happened in two weeks," Harry nodded. "You got your first case, we had to pretend to be married... we fell back in love..."

"Some tart tried to seduce you and make it seem like you'd slept together," Hermione continued. "I was ogled by a pervert..."

Harry made a face. "Those weren't the finer moments."

"I know," Hermione said. "I just really want to kick Monique's scrawny arse."

Harry laughed. "I'd pay to see that. I remember when you kicked mine back at school."

"When I found you on the beach, I wanted to kick yours too," Hermione said nudging him.

"I'm glad you didn't," Harry grimaced. "Don't think my arse or my ego could take it again."

"I trust you," Hermione said seriously.

Harry looked at her. "Thank you," he said quietly. "I trust you too."

Hermione leaned in and kissed him.

Harry put his arms around her waist, sliding her closer to him.

"How about we head back to the cottage?" Hermione whispered in his ear.

"I like the way you think," he answered softly.

"Come on," Hermione said grabbing his hand and breaking off in a run back up the beach toward their cottage.

Harry followed her with a laugh but abruptly stopped as he saw someone he thought was long gone and had hoped to never see again.

Hermione turned around. "Come on, slowpoke!"

Harry pulled out his wand and advanced on the figure. "You bastard," he hissed.