Unofficial Portkey Archive

Cayman Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Cayman Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Here's the latest chapter of Cayman Undercover. Harry and Hermione hit the beach under the watchful eye of Dolohov and Ginny and Neville get closer. We hope you enjoy.

Hermione had felt more than a little awkward after what had just transpired between she and Harry. She'd wanted to tell him how she truly felt, but she didn't want to get hurt again. And sometimes how he looked at her made her think that he still might have feelings for her. But, she was probably just imagining things.

After a few attempts at reading her book, she'd given up and decided to head on out to the beach to clear her head. She scribbled a quick note for Harry asking him to meet her on the beach. And after a few minutes of agonizing over which swimming costume to wear, she finally chose the royal blue bikini and grabbed her cover-up and a beach bag before heading out for the beach.

It seemed that quite a few of the resort's guests had the same idea. She couldn't blame them. This truly was paradise. She summoned her courage and set her towel down on one of the lounge chairs. Making sure no one was looking at her, she slowly took off her cover-up and stretched out on the chair.

"Are you enjoying yourself Mrs. Montgomery?" a voice made her open her eyes to see Dolohov standing by her chair.

Hermione smiled up at him, trying to ignore the way he was leering at her. "Yes, sir. It's a lovely day."

"And where is your husband?" he inquired.

"He was resting," Hermione said. "He's going to join me when he wakes up."

"Of course," Dolohov nodded, his eyes running over her body.

Hermione resisted the urge to throw her towel around her. She didn't like this man one bit and every time she saw him, she realised how right she was.

"Have you lived down here awhile?" Hermione asked.

"Many years now," Dolohov replied.

"I can certainly see why," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I've been here, but a day and I already feel as if I never want to leave."

"It's a shame you feel you have to," Dolohov's smile grew even more oily.

"I see you couldn't wait for me," Harry's voice cut through with a teasing lilt to it. He was dragging a chair over next to hers.

Dolohov stepped out of the way. "Mr. Montgomery,"

"Hey sweetheart," Harry greeted her with a kiss.

"I'm glad you showed up," Hermione teased. "Mr. Dolohov was nice enough to keep me company."

Harry nodded and smiled at the man. "I can't believe what a place you've got," he said, his tone now admiring. "What a bloody prime piece of property..."

"It was a steal," Dolohov said smugly. "I actually won the property off of a friend in a friendly game of poker."

"Further proof that you shouldn't play him, James," Hermione said to Harry. "He'd take you for every cent."

"Oh come on," Harry said with a grin. "I'm not half bad."

"I really wish you'd join us tomorrow night," Dolohov said "I promise we'll go easy on a beginner."

"I'll think about it," Harry replied. "Thanks for the invitation."

"I'll leave you to it," Dolohov said. "You know where to find me."

He started to walk away, but turned and smiled at Hermione in a way that made her skin crawl. "You are a lucky bloke, Mr. Montgomery. Very, very lucky."

"I know," Harry said, settling into his chair.

Dolohov nodded his head before walking back toward the main building.

Hermione shuddered. "Now, I need a shower. That bloke is disgusting."

"Did he do anything to you?" Harry asked.

Hermione shook her head. 'Nothing." She stood up and looked down at him. "I'm going to get a drink. You want anything?"

"A beer would be nice," Harry said. "Thanks..."

"I'll be right back," Hermione said. "I'll just charge it to our room."

"Sure," Harry watched her go, his eyes roaming over her body. Damn, she still looked good.

His mind wasn't on the case or Dolohov or anything else for that matter. He was still in love with her. The hardest thing he'd ever had to do was walk away from her the first time.

He told himself he'd do just about anything to win her trust again. Perhaps after this assignment was over he could try doing just that.

"Here you are," Hermione said interrupting his thoughts. "Nice and cold."

"Thanks," he blinked up at her. "What have you got?"

"Sea Breeze," Hermione said. "Lavender loves these. I thought I'd give it a try."

"Cool," Harry sat back. "How is Lavender?"

"She's great actually," Hermione said leaning back in her chair. "Same old Lavender."

Harry nodded. "I heard Luna does fortune telling."

"She does," Hermione said. "And I'm sure she'd love to give you a reading."

Harry chuckled. "I'm beyond help."

"I don't give much credence to it," Hermione said. "I think it's better to live in the moment, don't you?"

"You've got a good point," Harry nodded.

"So," Hermione said after taking a sip of her drink. "Have you made many friends in Vancouver?"

"Some," Harry nodded. "It's a nice place. I think you'd like it, actually."

"It must be if you've stayed there as long as you have," Hermione said softly.

"I hadn't planned on it, but that first year went by fast and I found I liked teaching people how to do things." Harry told her.

"As much as you like being in the field?" Hermione asked.

"I have missed this too," Harry admitted.

"And have you---" Hermione stared to ask, but her mobile phone began to ring. She set her drink down and reached into her bag for the phone. "Hello? Michael?"

Harry frowned. Who the hell was Michael?

"Now isn't really a good time," Hermione was telling him. "Yes....no....you were the one who..."

Harry poked her. "What's going on?"

Hermione shook her head and stood up. "No, you were the one who said you didn't like taking a second fiddle to my work. And now you've changed your mind?"

To Harry's dismay, she walked away for privacy.

"Just bloody great," he muttered, slumping back in his chair. It was obviously some sort of boyfriend on the line.

Hermione stayed on the phone for a good ten minutes. Harry was tired of waiting for her and he could see Dolohov staring in their direction.

When she turned back in his direction, Harry discreetly nodded his head at Dolohov. Hermione frowned and nodded.

She said something into the phone and then clicked if off before heading back in his direction. She tossed her phone onto her chair before straddling Harry's lap.

"Sorry," she whispered before giving him a kiss.

Harry was surprised by her action but went along with it, running his hands around her hips.

"He's still watching," Hermione said before kissing him again.

Harry didn't care. If she kept this up, Dolohov could watch forever as far as he was concerned. "You are so good at this," he murmured, crushing his lips back to hers.

"Kissing?" Hermione asked breathlessly. "Well, I had a very good teacher."

"Yeah..." Harry said dazedly.

Hermione looked down at him. She brushed his fringe from his forehead. "You taught me quite a bit, actually."

"You were a damn good student," he told her.

"Why is it that when we know something is bad for us, we want it anyway?" Hermione asked softly.

"I don't know," Harry gazed up at her. "Just makes it all the more tempting, I suppose."

"Is this real?" she asked him. "Any of it?"

Harry stared at her a moment. "Real as it was to me at Hogwarts."

Hermione believed him. "Harry---"

"James," he said, noticing Dolohov start to walk in their direction again.

"James," Hermione said giving him another kiss.

Harry hoped Dolohov wasn't about to start talking to them again. "He's still coming this way," he ran his hand over her back.

Hermione held on to him as Dolohov bypassed them and headed for one of his employees. Harry waved his hand and muttered a quick spell that would allow them to overhear the conversation.

"Did you do like I asked?" Dolohov demanded.

"I did sir," the other man said. "Just like you wanted."

"The sooner those horrible Mudbloods are out of here the better," Dolohov grumbled.

Harry felt Hermione bristle at his words. "Easy," he said softly.

"And keep an eye on the Montgomerys," Dolohov said looking in Harry and Hermione's direction.

"Bastard," Hermione hissed.

"We'll get him," Harry told her. "I promise."

She nodded, giving him one more kiss before regrettably sliding off him.

"I think tonight might be a good time to use my dad's old cloak," Harry said. "Eavesdrop on good old Dolohov."

Hermione agreed. "No more being separated like we were either." she said. "From now on, things like this, going to the beach or out to the shops, we do together."

Harry nodded. "We're a team. No matter what."

"Right," she agreed softly.

"How about we go for a swim?" Harry asked her. "Or a walk?"

"I'd like to swim in the ocean," she said, reaching for his hand.

"Me too," Harry said smiling at her. "Come on, Janie."

They strolled down to the ocean's edge, Hermione laughing as the water surged up around her ankles.

"You're not afraid you'll get your hair wet are you?" Harry teased.

"I think I'll survive," Hermione said dryly.

Harry took her hand. "Remember that time in Grimmauld Place? In the pool..."

"I remember," Hermione said softly.

"That was way back when you were denying that you were attracted to me," he said with a grin.

Hermione shook her head. "You were so egotistical."

"You wanted me from the first moment you saw me," he said smugly.

"And you're going to say you didn't want me?" Hermione kicked some water at him.

Harry splashed her back. "Not at first. You were wound too tight."

"So it was only after you saw me in that dress and boots that you liked me," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Such a typical male."

"You loved me for it," Harry said splashing her again. "Come on...you were wearing those baggy clothes...your hair was all wild..."

Hermione grinned at him. "That was the real me, you know."

"Was it now?" Harry asked her.

"Yes," she answered.

"I know you've always wanted to be admired for your mind and your intellect," Harry said. "And you are the smartest person I know. But you're also absolutely beautiful and you have a great body that you should show off more. Beauty and brains...quite a combination, Janie."

Hermione was touched. "Thank you," she said, leaning in and giving him a kiss. "I do like to be known for my brain, but a woman always likes to hear she looks good too."

"And you have this habit of calling me on my bullshit that can get annoying sometimes," Harry said.

She laughed. "You love it."

Harry grinned before going under water.

"Ha-- James?" Hermione caught herself just in time.

Harry swam underneath her legs and Hermione gasped as she felt herself being lifted. "James, you put me down!"

"Gotcha," Harry laughed at the look on her face.

"You scared me to death!" she said swatting at him.

"Oh come on I'm just having a go with you," Harry teased her.

"You're just lucky that I lo--" Hermione stopped herself.

Harry was about to ask her if she was about to say what he thought when a large swell knocked them both over.

"He---Janie?" Harry called out.

Hermione stood up, pushing her hair out of her eyes.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," she said. "It just surprised me is all."

"Let's go back to the shore," Harry said.

"Okay," she agreed as he put his arm around her waist.

"Remind me to thank Lavender," Harry said softly.

"For what?" she asked.

"She helped pick that out, didn't she?" Harry asked tugging at one of the straps of her bikini.

Hermione put her hand over his. "Yes."

And despite how great things were going, he couldn't help the words that came out of his mouth next. "So, who was that bloke that called you earlier? Martin?"

Hermione sighed. "Michael... and I don't want to talk about it here."

Harry nodded. "I'm not so sure I want to hear it anyway."

"Short story is, we broke up," Hermione said simply.

"He's an idiot," Harry said as they made their way back toward their chairs.

"He's a lot of things," Hermione said as she sat back down.

Harry grabbed his towel. "Were you together long?"

"I don't want to talk about him here," Hermione said firmly.

"Sorry," Harry said.

Hermione relaxed at the look in his eyes. "It's just a long story," she rummaged in her bag for some suntan lotion.

Harry sank down in his chair. If she wasn't going to tell him, perhaps he could have a word with Neville or Ron about this mystery man.

"Will you put some of this on me?" she asked, holding the tube out to him.

"Sure," Harry said taking it from her.

Hermione pulled her hair over her shoulder, shivering a little as Harry squeezed the lotion onto her bare skin.

"My hands aren't too cold, are they?" he asked.

"No," she shook her head, her eyes closed. "The lotion is."

Harry pulled one of the straps down. "You always had the softest skin."

Hermione let out a content sigh as he leaned in and kissed the back of her neck. This was all becoming so much more than an assignment and it was only their second day.

"Before," Harry breathed against her skin. "When we were in the water...what were you going to tell me?"

"What?" she asked, a bit dazedly.

"When we were fooling around in the water," he said. "You said that I was lucky that you were...and then you stopped yourself. What were you going to tell me?"

Hermione felt her face turn red. She didn't want to go as far as to admit she loved him again.

"That you look out for me?" he asked deciding not to push his luck. "Was that it?"

"Something like that," Hermione replied quietly.

Harry finished rubbing the lotion on her and then smiled. "You care to do return the favour, Janie? You wouldn't want me to get burned, would you?"

"Of course not," Hermione answered, turning around.

Harry changed his position on the chair and he looked toward the resort. "I wonder who he was referring to---which Muggleborns? It could be nothing, but with Dolohov---"

"We'll have to keep our eyes and ears open," Hermione rubbed his shoulders. "Tonight, I think we should have dinner here."

"I was going to suggest the same thing," Harry said.

"I doubt they'll serve bananas at dinner though," Hermione said, a bit slyly.

Harry grinned at the memory. "Probably not."

"When we go back to change, I'll send a note to Sirius about what we overheard," Hermione said.

"Good idea," Harry said. "You know, he's asking Rosmerta to move in with him."

"He is?" Hermione asked in surprise.

"Surprised me too," Harry said thoughtfully. "For the longest time, it's just been him and me."

"Eventually everyone moves on," Hermione said as she put the lotion back in her bag.

"Yeah," Harry nodded. "But sometimes it's hard to let go."

"Tell me something I don't know," Hermione repositioned herself in the chair.

"But you know I am happy for him," Harry said. "But I just feel as if everything's changing and I've been half way across the world powerless to do anything about it."

"You could stay back in England now," Hermione pointed out. "You don't have to be gone."

Harry looked over at her. "I've thought about it."

"What's so much better about Vancouver than London?" she asked.

"London's home," Harry said. "But I've made a career in Vancouver."

"I see," Hermione leaned back and closed her eyes.

"And most of my friends are here," Harry continued, closing his eyes as well. "Nev, Ron, Luna, Seamus, Dean, Remus. Sirius, of course. Hagrid. A few of my mates from my training days..."

"Of course," Hermione noted that he hadn't mentioned her.

"And last but not least," Harry said with a lazy grin. "There's no Janie Montgomery in Vancouver."

Hermione turned to look at him, a warm blush spreading across her face. "Point taken," she said, reaching for his hand.

He opened his eyes and smiled at her. "We make a good team."

"We do," she agreed.

He squeezed her hand. "There's no one else I'd rather be here with."

"Same here." Hermione replied. She leaned over and kissed him.

Harry felt happier than he could ever remember. If it was the last thing he did, he'd regain her trust. When this was all over, they'd figure out where they stood. He just hoped it would be together. He'd lost her once. He wasn't going to go through it again.

*** *** ***

Ginny knew she was probably more than well enough to leave the hospital, but every time she thought about it, she managed to make herself feel sicker again. She was still weak when she stood up, and hadn't really eaten much, and that was also what was keeping Neville Longbottom at her side.

He was currently at the edge of her bed, studying her chart. Ginny had been pretending to be asleep as she studied him through lidded eyes, and now let out yawn and stretched, catlike. "Neville?" she asked.

"You're awake," Neville said smiling at her.

"How long was I asleep?" she asked, rubbing her eyes.

"I'm not sure," he said setting her chart aside. "I've been here about 10 minutes. You were asleep when I walked in. I put a warming charm on your breakfast. You really should try and eat."

"Maybe I will," Ginny pretended to struggle to sit up.

Neville gave her a hand and then pulled the tray table around so she could get to it. "French toast today which I remember is your favourite."

Ginny beamed at him. "You're so good to me Neville."

Neville blushed and shrugged his shoulders. "You're my patient, Ginny."

Ginny nodded. "But not as many Healers are as attentive as you are."

He smiled at her and watched as she cut into her French toast. She really looked weak and fragile like this, but over the last couple of days, he'd found himself visiting her more often than he should. "I'm surprised that your mum went home. She asked the front desk if they could set up a bed for her in your room."

"She's just worried because I'm the only girl," Ginny explained.

"She loves you very much," Neville commented.

Ginny nodded as she took another bite. "I suppose that's how I'll be when I become a mother someday," she said with a meaningful look.

"Think that will be any time soon?" Neville asked her.

"I don't know," Ginny said. "It would depend on me getting the right guy in my life."

Neville shifted uncomfortably. "I'm sure you'll find someone someday. Someone like Malfoy."

"Me and Malfoy are over," Ginny said sourly.

"Is that because you wanted it to be over or because he married someone else?" Neville asked focusing his gaze on hers.

"We broke up before he ever got married," Ginny didn't meet his eyes. "Back when I was still at Hogwarts."

"You still love him," Neville said, upset that it still hurt him after all these years.

Ginny shook her head so vigorously it made her dizzy. "No..."

Neville opened his mouth to say something when he heard a tap at the door. He and Ginny both turned to see Cho standing in the doorway.

"Hello," she said briskly. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

"Is something wrong?" Neville asked.

"I think we should ask Miss Weasley that question," Cho said pointedly.

"I don't understand," Ginny replied, letting her head fall back.

"She has a severe case of wizarding flu," Neville said. "I diagnosed her myself. Are you doubting me?"

"Of course not," Cho replied. "But it's been several days now. She should be better. We do have other patients here."

"Lucky for me Neville is my healer," Ginny said icily. "Not you."

"How very lucky," Cho returned coolly.

Ginny took another bite of the French toast.

"Where did she get that?" Cho asked. "That's not on the menu today."

"I got it for her," Neville replied. "It's her favourite and I want her to eat."

"You did?" Ginny asked softly. "Neville..."

Neville nodded, turning a bit red. "I really would like to see you finish that too. You've hardly eaten at all since you got here."

"I will," Ginny said taking another bite. "Thank you so much."

Cho only shook her head. "We do have other patients," she reminded Neville again.

Neville nodded. "I'll be back later to check on you, Ginny."

"Okay," Ginny said, annoyed that Cho was dragging him out of the room. She glared at the black haired woman.

"If you're feeling up for it," Neville said to her. "Perhaps I could take you up to the atrium. Get you some fresh air. Could be therapeutic."

"I'd love that," Ginny softened. "Thank you Neville."

Neville smiled at her before following Cho out of the room.

She cast him a sideways glance as they headed down the corridor.

"What?" he asked.

"What's going on?" Cho asked him point-blank.

"What are you talking about?" Neville asked. "She's my patient."

"She's playing with you," Cho said angrily.

"She's sick," Neville returned.

"That's the understatement of the century," Cho said sarcastically pushing the button for the lift.

"So basically you're saying you don't trust my judgement, is that right?" Neville asked her angrily.

"I'm saying that you are letting your personal feelings get in the way of your judgement," Cho retorted.

"I'm treating her like a Healer does to their patient," Neville objected. "Maybe a little extra care, because she's a friend of the family."

The lift arrived and Cho stalked inside. "She's playing you."

"Why do you care?" Neville snapped.

"You're my friend," Cho said defensively. "And I don't want you to get hurt!"

"I can take care of myself," Neville crossed his arms.

"Neville---"

"I'm not that little fat idiot I was in school," Neville wouldn't look at her. "I can handle my own life."

Cho's jaw dropped. "Neville, I never said---"

"You were implying," Neville replied.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. "It's not my place."

Neville finally glanced over at her. He instantly felt contrite and realised he was being a complete jackass. "I'm sorry," he apologised. "I shouldn't jump all over you."

Cho extended her hand to him. "Still friends?"

"Sure," he said. "We'll always be friends."

"Which floor did you want to start on today?" Cho asked him.

"Fourth?" Neville asked.

Cho pushed the button for the fourth floor. "Good idea."

"How is Mrs. Adler doing this morning?" he asked.

Chow frowned. "No change, I'm afraid. She isn't responding to the treatment I prescribed."

"I wonder if we should try this..." Neville flipped open the file. "Use this spell, and follow up with the potion that has unicorn tail in it."

She looked thoughtfully at him. "I hadn't thought of that. I think it's worth a shot."

He nodded. "I checked on Mr. Walsh this morning too. I think he's ready to go home."

"Mrs. Walsh should be glad to hear that," Cho said. "And she'll probably bake you more biscuits."

"That I definitely wouldn't mind," Neville replied with a grin. "Those were excellent."

"Just as long as you promise to share," Cho teased, glad that they were back to their usual friendly banter.

"I'll save you one," Neville answered.

"Just one?" Cho asked pretending to be affronted.

"One and a half?" he asked.

"Better," Cho said looking sideways at him. "I wanted to ask you something actually..."

"What's that?" he asked, looking back at the file.

"You know that I've not really seen anyone seriously since Cedric," she began.

"That was awhile ago, right?" Neville flipped a page in the chart.

Cho nodded. "And all my friends keep telling me to put myself back out there..."

"You should take their advice then," Neville replied, a bit distracted.

"There is this bloke that I have my eye on," Cho said biting her bottom lip.

"Most girls I know would be after Harry," Neville answered.

"Not me," Cho said wishing he was paying more attention to her. "No, this bloke that I fancy---"

The chief of the department rounded the corner. "Healer Chang, Healer Longbottom. Is there a reason why you're just standing around here?"

"No sir," Neville straightened up. "We were just deciding on a path of treatment for Mrs. Adler."

"You should get to it then,' he said gruffly.

"Of course," Neville looked back at Cho.

"Healer Chang told me about the research you've been doing," the chief said. "I'd be quite interested in your findings, Longbottom."

"Really sir?" Neville asked. "I'll... I'll bring you copies of my research today if you'd like."

Cho beamed at Neville from behind the chief's back. She knew how much the recognition meant to Neville and she couldn't remember ever being so proud of someone.

"My office," the chief said. "Five o'clock."

"Thank you sir," Neville shook the chief's hand. "Thank you very much."

The chief walked away down the corridor and Cho waited until he was out of earshot before giving Neville a big hug.

"I can't believe he wants to see my research!" Neville exclaimed, hugging her back. "And you told him about it!"

"Well, he asked me how you were doing and I told him that you were doing brilliantly and that you were working hard on your parents' case," Cho said beaming at him. "This was all you."

"Yes but you helped," Neville said, not realising he was still holding onto her.

"I was happy to help," Cho said finally, reluctantly letting go of him.

"I couldn't have gotten this far without you," Neville realised he was disappointed she had pulled away.

"Yes you could have," Cho said modestly.

"There are some things you've helped me with that I wouldn't have found on my own," he denied.

"I'm your resident," Cho said. "I would have done what anyone else would have."

Neville smiled at her and was about to say something else when he saw the chief again. "Come on," he said. "We should get to Mrs. Adler."

Cho nodded in agreement wishing she'd had a chance to tell him how she really felt. Twice now, she'd been thwarted. Perhaps that was fate's way of telling her this was a lost cause.