Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Than Meets the Eye by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Than Meets the Eye

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and related characters are owned by J. K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, Warner Brothers and various publishers. Transformers and related characters are owned by Hasbro, Takara, IDW Publishing, Dreamworks, and various publishers. No money is being made off of this work.

A/N OK. So here's a filler chapter. We're unfortunately going to have a lot of filler chapters in between the action packed ones so I'm hoping people won't mind that. To all my fellow Americans Happy Thanksgiving. To those who aren't Americans... hope you have a nice day.

Chapter 11: Plan of Action

The Ministry of Magic had a parking garage. From the muggle point of view there was nothing unusual about having a parking garage. From the magical point of view, it was something to raise eyebrows over. However, the Ministry employed many muggle-borns and Half Bloods and a lot of them tended to prefer driving over Floo, Portkey, the Knight Bus, or Apparation. Magical transportation could be quite uncomfortable for some people while a drive could be quite relaxing. Even the occasional pureblood (those not as prejudiced) couldn't resist the appeal of a cool car.

Harry pulled into the parking garage "driving" his bright yellow Chevrolet Camaro. Sure it was only a temporary "rental" of sorts but he hadn't had a vehicle of any sort ever since his Firebolt broomstick was destroyed and was quite enjoying himself.

"You sure you're fine just waiting here?" asked Harry.

"Hey don't sweat it," said the Camaro, "when you've got a life span as long as ours a few hours in a parking garage is no big deal."

"Well OK, thanks a lot Bumblebee," said Harry. Just as he stepped out of the car a maroon Dodge Viper with flame highlights pulled into the spot next to his. To his surprise, none other than Ron Weasley stepped out of the Dodge Viper.

"Ron!" exclaimed Harry. He hadn't even known that Ron could drive or even that he was interested in cars for that matter.

"Harry!" said Ron, surprised to see his best friend in the garage. "Er... ah... nice car."

"Uh... thanks. Er... so's yours. Where'd you get it?"

"What? Oh... er... near Ottery St. Catchpole. How about yours?"

"Oh? Well... uh..."

"Shall we put them out of their misery?" asked Bumblebee.

"Let's do it," said Rodimus. A second later the two Autobots had transformed into their robot modes eliciting Harry and Ron's jaws to drop.

"Huh! I guess you met up with them as well," said Ron. Rodimus and Bumblebee smirked at the two wizards.

"Yup, Hermione and I did," said Harry. Ron gave Harry a curious look though Harry didn't notice. "How did you meet with them, mate?"

Ron frowned. "Well, I better get the worst bit over with," he said. "Harry, Xenophilius is dead."

"WHAT?" exclaimed Harry, "How? What about Luna? Is she OK?"

"Luna is all right. At least physically," said Ron. "She's staying at the Burrow for the next few days. Of course, the Burrow needed some extensive repairs as well. As for the how, Decepticon attack."

Harry seriously looked troubled. "Ron, tell me everything."

* * *

"This is not good news," said Optimus Prime. He was conversing with a few of his highest ranking officers on the bridge of the Ark. "The Decepticons seem to have found out who the people closest to Harry are."

"If Scorponok is involved perhaps we should send for Fortress Maximus," suggested Prowl.

Ultra Magnus scoffed, "Not likely he'll even show up. He's grown far too disillusioned with the war."

"Well you can't really blame him that much," said Jazz. "The guy's a pacifist, big time."

"Let's concentrate with our current forces right now," said Prime. "We currently have Bumblebee watching over Harry while Ratchet and Wheeljack are watching over Hermione. Rodimus has proclaimed himself as Ronald Weasley's protector while Arcee and Springer are guarding his family. Jetfire is making consistent air reckon over England in the event of Decepticon activity. Am I missing anything?"

"Why Autobots help fleshies? Me no like," said the silver Tyrannosaurus near the back of the bridge.

"You know why, Grimlock," said Prime.

Grimlock transformed into his robot form, a powerfully built robot with a black head and gold breastplate. As a robot he had no visual face save the single, wide-length orange visor like optics. Suddenly Grimlock brandished a red crystal sword and swung it straight down toward Optimus. Optimus didn't appear surprised however and simply blocked the sword with an orange axe-like blade that formed out of his right hand, the sound of sizzling sparks echoing with the blow. For that matter, none of the other Autobots appeared surprised by Grimlock's actions.

Seemingly satisfied, Grimlock put away his sword and said, "Me Grimlock no like humans. But me help out."

Prime retracted his blade. "Any suggestions?" he asked.

"Prowl does have a point. We should at least call for reinforcements," said Ultra Magnus. "They may not make it here in time for any confrontation with the Decepticons over the Wizards but then again, they might."

"Let us hope," said Optimus. "Prowl, signal the Aerialbots and divert them to Earth. Ultra Magnus, send a message to Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Blaster, Kup, and Hound, and at the least try to talk to Fortress Maximus. Jazz, get in contact with Jetfire and see if there's any Decepticon activity. Keep an eye out in particular for Laserbeak or Buzzsaw. Grimlock, place the Dinobots on standby."

Grimlock scoffed, "Already done."

Prime nodded and asked, "Does anybody have any intel on Mirage's location?"

"None," said Prowl. "He just literally disappeared into thin air."

"With Mirage that's not inconceivable," said Ultra Magnus.

"You got that right," said Jazz. "I'm surprised he didn't pull a disappearing act any time sooner."

"Ugh, where has he gone?" muttered Optimus. "We'll have to deal with Mirage's disappearance later. Autobots, proceed with plan."

As the Autobot officers cleared out of the bridge, Optimus slumped on his command chair. Wearily he rubbed his forehead.

"You seem like you've got the weight of the whole universe hanging on your shoulders," said a female voice over Teletran-1's communications array.

"Elita," said Optimus. "This has been continuing for so long there are times I wonder why the Matrix even chose me. Why did Primus chose me to be 'Prime'?"

"Because you were created to be 'Optimus Prime'," said the voice of Elita-One. "There is none greater for the role, not even your predecessors."

Optimus scoffed. "My predecessors? Nova tried to implement his racist agenda in a form of galactic conquest. Sentinel failed to prevent the gladiatorial combats that led to the creation of the Decepticons. They made the title of 'Prime' into nothing more than a joke!" He placed his hand over his chest. "That corruption is a part of me now."

"No!" said Elita. "Sentinel Prime didn't stand even a chance against Megatron whereas you have defeated him countless times. Your compassion for all life makes you better than Nova Prime. Your strength, your compassion, those are what truly make you the first 'Prime' worthy of the title since the original Prima of the Thirteen."

"You said it yourself: I have defeated Megatron countless times. Yet, Megatron still lives to continue his reign of evil," said Optimus. "Would the war have continued this long had I been more ruthless?"

"Then you wouldn't be who you are," said Elita. "Optimus, sooner or later you're going to have to understand that it's your compassion that is your greatest strength. It is possible that the war might've ended sooner had you been more ruthless but then you wouldn't be any different from Megatron. You yourself commented on how similar you two really were."

"I know," said Optimus. "That's what scares me the most."

* * *

"This isn't good. This is really, bloody well not good," muttered Harry. He and Ron were hurriedly walking through the Ministry of Magic's Atrium.

"I'll say," said Ron. "If the Decepticons know about the Hallows that means the only reason why they would attack my family or the Lovegoods would be because we're close to you. That doesn't suit me well mate."

"What I want to know is how the Decepticons found out about all of you in the first place!" Harry exclaimed. "They only took the Household Inventories from Gringotts. That shouldn't have anything to do with how close I am to certain people."

"Fugitive Death Eaters?" suggested Ron.

"Not likely," said Harry. "All the big shots who would know details like that are either dead or in Azkaban. Only the juniors and wannabes are out there."

Ron sighed and said, "We're going through all this trouble again. Just like old days."

"Well it's like I told your dad a long time ago," said Harry. "I don't go looking for trouble: trouble always finds me."

The two friends were about to enter one of the lifts when an enchanted paper plane flew toward them. Harry grabbed the plane, unfolded it, and read the contents. "Kingsley wants to see us right now."

"Us? As in both of us?" asked Ron.

"Yeah," said Harry. The two entered the lift as they had planned only, instead of Auror Headquarters they directed the lift to head toward the Minister of Magic's office.

"Harry. Ron," said Kingsley from behind his desk. "How's the investigation on the 'abnomalie' attacks going?"

Harry and Ron exchanged glances not sure if they should mention their contact with the Autobots yet. "Er... very progressively," said Harry.

"Yeah, very pro... progressively," said Ron, nodding nervously.

Kingsley could tell that they were hiding something but decided to let it slide for the time being. "It will have to hold for now," he said. "At present time we have a bigger concern: the start of the term at Hogwarts on September 1st, three days from now."

Harry and Ron started: they had completely forgotten the date amidst the chaos of the robot incidents.

"There has been a concern over the 'abnomalie' attacks about the potential danger the students could be exposed to. In particular during the trek the Hogwarts Express makes between Kings Cross and Hogsmeade."

"With all due respect Minister," said Harry, "what does this have to do with us? We're just trainees."

Kingsley chuckled. "Harry. Ron. I didn't summon you here as Aurors. I summoned you here as members of the Order of the Phoenix."

That was definitely a surprise. "The Order?" both Harry and Ron exclaimed.

"I spoke with Minerva McGonagall," said Kingsley. "In light of recent events we have decided to officially reactivate the Order of the Phoenix. Auror ranks are spread thin right now. Therefore, a group of Order members will be accompanying the Hogwarts Express for protection. This is unofficial of course but at the least it will mean that I can freely express that the train will be well protected during the journey."

"So, we're going with the train?" asked Harry.

"I'm afraid not," said Kingsley. "I have a different investigation job for you two. Ever since I became Minister I've been taking a leaf out of Dumbledore in following the muggle news. Apparently, there have been recent reports about people disappearing. This in itself doesn't necessarily mean anything if it weren't for an interesting fact: these people disappeared after claiming they witnessed a certain construction site at the very edge of the French Alps. Apparently, the construction was being worked on by several construction vehicles with no drivers."

A/N So there you have it. A slower paced chapter: but setting things up for the next phase of the story. And believe me, there's plenty of action in the next phase. Please provide me your opinion on things and stay tuned for more.