Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Than Meets the Eye by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Than Meets the Eye

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and related characters are owned by J. K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, Warner Brothers and various publishers. Transformers and related characters are owned by Hasbro, Takara, IDW Publishing, Dreamworks, and various publishers. No money is being made off of this work.

A/N All right, despite a decently high hit count there were very few reviews last chapter. While the hits were less than previous chapters I do think there should be more. Please review: it really helps reflect on whether I'm doing a good job or not.

Chapter 5: Ominous Investigation

"Thank you so much for coming Ronald," said Luna Lovegood from the behind her desk. Xenophilius Lovegood had retired shortly after the war, turning over editorship of the Quibbler to one of his senior reporters. One of the first things the new editor did upon gaining the job was hiring Xenophilius's daughter Luna, fresh out of Hogwarts.

"Well yeah. Auror Department wanted me to oversee the press and I say mix business with pleasure," said Ron, seated on the other side of the desk. Luna let out a melodic laugh. It was unfortunate, Ron noticed, that her extended stay in Azkaban Prison had left its mark on Luna. For a long time, a shadow of fear and darkness had covered her face and she had been rather thin and gaunt. Seeing her being able to laugh once more so uninhibited was a joy in itself.

"I hope Ginny is OK. I'll go see her later today."

"She's all right. No permanent damage. So I read your article about the attack on Diagon Alley. I thought it was great how you remained so objective compared to the blame game the Daily Prophet's trying to play," said Ron. "Off the record though, what do you think of these... Harry called them 'robots'."

"Robots? I like that," said Luna as she shuffled some of the parchments around her desk. "Well my theory is that the robots are from the sky and they're fighting against some evil planet eater. I'm not sure what this planet eater is called but I think it sounds something like 'unicorn'."

"Er... ooooooooookaaaay," said Ron. If he hadn't known Luna from their Hogwarts days he might've thought Azkaban had unhinged her mind. But then again they had no credible idea about where the robots came from in the first place. For all he knew Luna's theory might be accurate. Ron shook his head and said, "Well, I guess we should be dealing with facts more than with theories."

"Good idea," said Luna absently. She bit on one of the bottle caps of her necklace before saying, "Um Ronald. I want... to ask you something."

"Yeah? What?" asked Ron, thinking she wanted to ask something about the robots.

"Er... would... would... I got Quidditch playoffs topbox tickets and would you like to come with me?" she asked very quickly.

"What?" said Ron, not believing his ears. "Did you just ask me to go with you to a Quidditch playoff game?"

"Uh-huh. Sunday tomorrow: Cannons against Tornadoes," said Luna sounding rather nervous. "Whoever wins plays Puddlemore United at the semi-finals."

Oh that was tempting. This was the first time Ron's beloved Chudley Cannons had made it to the playoffs in decades. Still, he was dating Hermione (sort of) and he wasn't sure it would be appropriate for him to accompany another young woman anywhere. And 'woman' Luna definitely had become; with gorgeous flowing blonde hair and crystal blue eyes, despite the taint Azkaban had left on her.

"Well... er..."

"They invited me to be a guest commentator."

"OK. What time do you want me to pick you up?" asked Ron. Chudley Cannons at the playoffs with Luna Lovegood commentating a Quidditch match: how could he resist?

Luna beamed at him. She was about to say something when an official looking owl flew threw her office window and deposited an envelope on Ron's lap. Noticing the seal of the ministry on the envelope, Ron quickly tore it open and skimmed the contents. "What?" he exclaimed, his eyes bulging, "Malfoy Manor?"

* * *

As Harry Apparated to the location of the latest attack his thoughts unwittingly went back to the last time he had been there two years ago. He would never forget Dobby's broken form, the life forever gone from his elf friend. He would never forget Hermione's screams as she was tortured under the Cruciatus.

'Don't think about that now. Hermione is safe and sound back at my flat with Teddy,' he thought, desperately. 'That's right. Hermione is safe and sound... standing right next to me...'

"What the... Hermione!" exclaimed Harry, surprised to see that his best friend had Apparated right next to him. "Wha... h-how... where's Ted?"

"I dropped him off at Mrs. Tonks's place," said Hermione. Already Harry could see that she was turning ghastly pale and that her breaths had become shorter.

"You shouldn't be here!" he hissed. "You shouldn't have to relive that day!"

"I have to, Harry," said Hermione, determination laced in her voice. "I have to see it for myself."

Knowing that it was pointless to argue, Harry instead took her hand for support. Hermione managed a small grateful smile before steeling her expression and the pair made their way over toward the ruins of the Manor.

As soon as they came within view of the ruins Hermione let out her breath she had been holding. There was just about nothing left of Malfoy Manor: only a smoldering husk of twisted debris and wood.

"There's really nothing left," she said. She wasn't sure what to feel about the fact that the source of her nightmares was now nothing more than ruined wood and metal.

"Kind of puts things in an interesting perspective, doesn't it?" said Harry. Hermione nodded in agreement.

Ministry officials were scouring the ruins with various magical devices and spells. Several of them approached Hermione, annoyed to see a civilian on the site until they recognized her and went back to their business: there were perks to being the best friend of the Chosen One.

Harry was making his own observation of the ruins when he noticed to body bags being carted away via the Mobilocorpus spell. "Hey! Are those..."

"Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy," said the man whom appeared to be in charge of the site. Harry recognized him as Kingsley's aide Toppham. "We haven't been able to get a foolproof identification but we're confident it's most likely them. We are going to contact Andromeda Tonks later and see if she can at least identify her sister."

Harry didn't know what to feel to hear that one of the last of his former archenemies had finally bit the dust. "What about Draco?" he asked.

"Still unaccounted for," said Toppham. "He may have escaped or he may still be buried underneath the debris. Finding him is our immediately priority."

"And this attack was done by the same ones who attacked Diagon Alley?" Harry asked.

"Well, sort of," said Toppham. "The Manor's wards managed to gather several images before they were destroyed." He pulled out his wand and swished it around. An image formed in front of them, not as clear as a pensieve image but still clear enough to reveal a blurred image of a black robot and a blue robot. Though they were clearly the same type of creature, they were not the same ones who attack Diagon Alley.

"Great! Even more of them!" grumbled Harry.

"Why Malfoy Manor? I can't see what connection there could be between here and Diagon Alley," said Hermione. "Have they identified what documents were stolen from Gringotts yet?"

"I'm afraid not Miss Granger," said Toppham. "The goblins are working on it. They should notify the Minister as soon as they have the information."

Two pops sounded indicating that someone had Apparated to their location. Harry and Hermione turned around and saw Ron and to their surprise, Luna.

Ron's eyes narrowed as soon as they spotted Hermione. "Didn't you say you were going to be busy this weekend?" he demanded.

"I am busy," said Hermione, sounding exasperated. "Do we have to go into this now?"

"Yes we're going to into this now!" said Ron, completely forgetting the reason why they were there in the first place. "It's always too busy with you Hermione. You never have time to do anything with me! Yet you always somehow find the time to spend with Harry!"

"Oh honestly, Ron! This has nothing to do with Harry!" said Hermione, her voice starting to rise. "For once, can't you just understand that I have my priorities?"

"Oh I know your priorities all right," Ron said, sarcastically. "It's always Harry this and Harry that. All we ever talk about is Harry!"

"Well maybe that's because all we have in common IS Harry!" shouted Hermione. Harry groaned, completely uncomfortable at hearing Ron and Hermione argue about him. Hearing Harry groan appeared to snap Hermione to her senses. She calmed down and said in a determined voice, "Ron, we need to talk."

Ron scoffed. "So talk."

"In private," said Hermione. She grabbed Ron's arm and dragged him away.

Harry groaned and said, "This isn't going to be good."

"It was a long time coming," said Luna knowingly.

"Maybe so," replied Harry. "But it's not going to change the fact that things are going to be tense for the next few months."

"Perhaps you should view this as karma," said Luna, her voice sounding as dreamy as ever. "Things between Ronald and Hermione were just not meant to be in this universe."

Harry stared at Luna when she said the bit about "this universe" his thoughts going back to his conversation with Hermione in the Chinese Restaurant. Luna merely smiled at him dreamily as always.

Ron and Hermione finally made their way back toward them, Ron looking grumpy and Hermione looking subdued. Ron stormed off away from the Manor muttering under his breath.

"I will go check on him," said Luna. She took off after Ron.

"Hermione?" said Harry, sounding concerned.

"We broke up," said Hermione in monotone.

Harry figured as much but he still felt concerned. "Oh Hermione, I'm so sorry." He drew her into a firm hug.

"It was a long time coming," said Hermione. She didn't sound sad, merely disappointed. "I guess some things just aren't meant to be."

"Hey, cheer up," said Harry. "Why don't you stay at my place tonight? I'll even eat ice cream and watch girlie movies with you."

That brought a laugh out of her. "You've got yourself a deal, Harry. But I wouldn't want to rob you of your manhood with my femininity."

"Hey, we blokes can handle it no problem," said Harry. "Throw me any feminine challenge you want."

"Auror Trainee Potter!" Harry looked up, surprised that Toppham had called him. "I have just received a patronus message from the Minister," said Toppham, making his way over toward them. "He is requesting that you take this portkey directly to his office." Toppham handed him an antique brass key.

"He's asking for me?" asked Harry. Toppham nodded.

"You go on ahead. I'll be waiting for you at the flat," said Hermione.

"Well... OK," said Harry. He took a hold of the portkey and was instantly transported to Kingsley Shacklebolt's office.

"Harry. Good, you're here," said Kingsley. "I've just been contacted by the goblins. They have identified the documents stolen from their records vault."

"Oh?" said Harry, still wondering why Kingsley requested him specifically.

"They were a pair of Household Possessions Inventories. Essentially they are a list of all possessions and heirlooms owned by some of the oldest families in the Wizarding World. Every magical item of significance owned by that family is listed on the inventory. They are kept at Gringotts because those archives are the securest in the world, or at least they were."

"Let me guess. One of them belonged to the Malfoys," said Harry.

"That's right," said Kingsley. "The Malfoy Household Possessions Inventory was one of the documents stolen."

"And the other one?"

Kingsley looked at Harry gravely. "I think you've already figured out to whom the other inventory belongs to."

Harry groaned, dread filling his heart. "The Potter family."

A/N Well then. I guess some light is starting to be shed on what the Decepticons are after. If not, I'll be coming right out to tell you over the next few chapters. Next chapter we FINALLY get to see some big time toy death matches. Everybody sing with me: "Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of... the Decepticons!"