Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Than Meets the Eye by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Than Meets the Eye

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and related characters are owned by J. K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, Warner Brothers and various publishers. Transformers and related characters are owned by Hasbro, Takara, IDW Publishing, Dreamworks, and various publishers. No money is being made off of this work.

A/N Another slow chapter. But I'm hoping it sets up the stage for the next portion of this fic: lots and lots of action coming up. To all my fellow Americans, enjoy Veteran's Day. I know I did.

Chapter 8: The Deathly Hallows Once More

"But how did they learn about the Hallows in the first place?" asked Hermione.

"That's easy. By finding one of them," replied Prowl.

"The Resurrection Stone! They've got the Resurrection Stone!" snapped Harry. "Bloody Hell! I should've known it wouldn't stay hidden in the forest!"

"Yep. Laserbeak found it by chance during a routine reconnaissance mission," said Bumblebee. "He took it to Megatron who discovered that it had the power to manipulate Cybertronians' Sparks. With it, he could insert Sparks directly into lifeless machines and create an army of countless robots, or so he thought."

"The 'troops' he created were unstable," said Optimus. "They were only functional for about an hour at best. Not yet giving up on the stone, Megatron sought more information on it and during the process found out that it is but one of three objects. Further research revealed you to be the owner of the cloak, but he was unable to determine which of the two possible candidates owned the wand. He sought more information."

"Which is why they attacked Gringotts," concluded Harry. "They were looking for as much information on myself and Malfoy that they could find. Since the inventory didn't list my address, they attacked Malfoy first."

Hermione frowned. "I don't understand. Draco Malfoy may have been the Elder Wand's owner for a while but he never actually possessed it."

"The Decepticons lacked information," said Optimus. "All they knew was that Draco Malfoy had once been the 'owner' of the wand, not if he ever had it or not."

"Hmph, bet it was Shockwave that concluded this Malfoy was the owner," said Ironhide, his gruff voice rumbling, "probably said that he was the logical one since he was still alive. Look what that led to: more humans killed."

"Can't help that," said Harry. "What I want to know is how did all of you find out about the Hallows? The fact that you were protecting me means that you knew that I'm the owner of the other two."

Optimus Prime nodded. "When we first learned of Megatron's plan we thought it necessary to go to whatever lengths required to keep him from succeeding. That could possibly mean getting involved with wizard-kind at some point. While we have had dealings with humans before, wizards and witches were new to us. Therefore," Prime pulled out of his chest a tiny object held delicately between his fingers which he passed down to Harry, "I sought out a guide."

Harry glanced down at the object in his hand and frowned in puzzlement. "A Chocolate Frog Card? How exactly did that..."

"Ah Harry! I see that you are looking well."

Harry's eyes widened as he stared at the card in complete surprise. "What the... Dumbledore?"

Albus Dumbledore's portrait smiled from the card, his blue eyes taking on their familiar twinkle. "I do hope Optimus has explained everything to you Harry," he said. "I must admit I am quite fascinated by his tale. I wish it was my true self that had met with them as being a portrait I am unable to utilize any of the amazing knowledge they have provided for me."

"You told them about the Hallows," said Harry in a disbelieving tone.

"Indeed I did," said Dumbledore. "The Autobots had found a number of Chocolate Frogs while they were searching for information and as soon as I realized from their conversations what it was this Megatron was seeking I offered my help. As I am sure you understand I feel a personal responsibility with the use of the Hallows." He winked and said, "Do not worry, they are trustworthy: far more than I myself am."

Harry thought for a moment and asked, "Can Megatron even use the Hallows?"

"To a certain extent," said Dumbledore. "As the Autobots have said he was able to use the Resurrection Stone to at least temporarily grant life to his undead robotic troops. The cloak would hide him as well though he would require quite a few enlargement charms on it to hide him." Dumbledore paused before saying, "The question would be the Elder Wand. In normal circumstances a Cybertronian wouldn't be able to utilize magic. However, unlike muggles a Cybertronian could make a direct connection between a wand and his Spark to access a certain level of magic. For a wand that always wins a duel no matter what, that would be enough."

"Making Megatron all powerful," scoffed Harry. "Of course, to be able to even claim the wand he would have to kill me to ensure that it passed down to him."

Hermione had grown rather pale. "I need some water," she whispered.

Harry glanced toward her, concerned. Prime seemed to notice that she wasn't feeling her best as well and said, "Perhaps you are feeling overwhelming. There is a smaller chamber right next to this one which can provide you with water if you would care for a rest."

Hermione nodded. Harry and Hermione were led into a smaller room to the side. There were several pipes in the room that provided water although they had to conjure their own cups. As there were no chairs, Harry and Hermione sat on the floor leaning against the wall. Hermione simply stared at the water in her cup, not drinking it.

"It just never ends," she said, looking on the verge of tears. "After everything we went through with Voldemort, now we get caught in another war that by all rights shouldn't even involve us in the first place. But it involves us anyway precisely because we were involved in our war. Why won't it end?"

"I wish I had an answer Hermione," said Harry. He drew an arm around her and Hermione placed her cup on the floor and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"It is as Optimus said when he mentioned how the conflict between the Primus and Unicron continues today between the Autobots and Decepticons," said Dumbledore's Chocolate Frog Card. "There is no end to the conflict between good and evil: it will simply continue on in a different form."

Harry shook his head. "You know, let's take our minds off of this thing for a just a moment," he said, hoping to get Hermione's mind into a more relaxed state. He noticed ripples in the water in Hermione's cup as the robots' footsteps echoed through the vessel. "Like, take a look at the water. Didn't we see a movie recently with an effect like that?"

Hermione chuckled clearly relieved to be talking about anything other than their current problems. "Oh yes, very scary," she said dryly. "Why, whatsoever shall we do if a Tyrannosaurus Rex decides to show up right now?"

Harry and Hermione burst into laughter at the thought. A second later, their laughter turned to stunned, jaw dropping silence as a silver Tyrannosaurus Rex lumbered into the chamber: 25 feet tall and 42 feet long from snout to tail. The Tyrannosaur lumbered over to Harry and Hermione and sniffed.

"Hmph. Me no like humans," growled the Tyrannosaur. "Why humans on board ship?" Harry and Hermione were too shocked to answer.

"They're guests of Prime." The Tyrannosaurus looked to the side to see Ironhide accompanied by Cliffjumper. "If you got a problem with that you can take it up with him," continued Ironhide.

The Tyrannosaurus huffed and said, "Me no like humans on board. But me ignore humans." With that, the silver Tyrannosaurus Rex made its way out of the chamber.

"Sorry about that," said Ironhide. "That's Grimlock. He doesn't like humans so you should keep clear of him." Ironhide paused before continuing, "For that matter he doesn't like Optimus Prime either, but he respects him."

Harry and Hermione were too stunned to say anything.

"No sweat. Grimlock won't actually harm you," said Cliffjumper. "Of course he may eat you if he feels like it but no worries. He'll probably just end up throwing you up so it's not a big deal."

* * *

It was only a matter of time however that Harry and Hermione grew comfortable in their surroundings. With the exception of a select few, most of the Autobots were friendly and they made them feel welcome while those who didn't, like Grimlock simply kept clear of them.

As soon as Ratchet and Wheeljack had healed Ted, Hermione monopolized their time finding them to be kindred spirits to her.

"So this computer is what programmed all of your vehicle modes?" she asked. She was fiddling around on a keyboard and monitor station connected to the Ark's main computer: Teletran-1.

"That it did," said Ratchet, "scanned nearby machines so that we could blend in. But we've also got scanners built into our optics as well so that we can scan new modes if the need arises."

"That's amazing," said Hermione. "That would mean that your transformations occur down at the molecular level. Does that mean that each of the molecules that comprise you are alive? Like the cells of an organism? That would suggest you're also organisms like us, only mechanical organisms."

Ratchet looked over at Wheeljack before turning back to Hermione and saying, "You know, I never thought of it that way, but you're right."

Hermione started typing away on the keyboard. "Oh my. The level of RAM is astounding but so much of it looks just like muggle machines: same hard drive system, similar Operating System, similar memory systems, similar software, just on a far larger and more complex scale. I could download this information onto a DVD-ROM drive if I decided to."

"True, but an Earth made DVD-ROM wouldn't be able to hold the amount of information contained in Teletran-1," said Wheeljack.

"But then, how about your own programs?" asked Hermione. "Theoretically a Cybertronian could download his own program into a powerful enough storage device, whether it's a DVD-ROM or a flash drive. Then even if the Cybertronian were to be killed their program could be uploaded into a new body and poof, he's back."

"Ooooh, I like her," said Wheeljack.

"So do I," said Ratchet. "For that to truly work the original Spark would have to be inserted into the new body as well though. But it's definitely possible."

"How about cooling mechanisms?" asked Hermione. "With all that activity you do what keeps all of you from overheating?"

"We have a very sophisticated coolant system," answered Ratchet. "I'm not sure you'll be able understand the finer details of its mechanics though."

"Heck, sometimes I don't even understand them," said Wheeljack.

Hermione looked up at the two Autobots and grinned. "Try me."

Meanwhile, Harry was having a discussion with Dumbledore and Optimus Prime. "I don't like this. I don't like this at all," said Harry.

"I'm afraid this is the only way possible Harry," said Dumbledore. "I understand it is quite a risk but if we are to claim the Resurrection Stone from the Decepticons, it must be done."

Harry stared at the chocolate frog card incredulously. "You're just a portrait! You're not supposed to have any of those underhanded, manipulative schemes your true self had!"

Dumbledore shrugged and said, "I am who I am, even as a mere portrait. I apologize Harry, but until another option presents itself this is the way to go."

"Had there been other options I would not have agreed to this," said Prime. "Unfortunately as we have been unable to locate where the Decepticons are hiding we will have to go with this plan."

"Great," muttered Harry. "So I go about everyday like normal pretending that evil alien robots aren't out after my arse. And then, one day said evil alien robots will attack me only for good guy alien robots to save the day. Evil alien robots will be captured and we find out where Megatron is hiding. Oh, and did I mention that we'll be placing thousands of innocent lives at risk with this plan?"

"As I said I do not like this plan at all," said Optimus Prime. "We will be working on the clock for an alternative and hopefully we will be able to implement it before the Decepticons attack again but until then this is all we have."

Harry shook his head and drawled, "Oh, I am so going to love being Mr. Paranoid again." He paused before saying, "On the other hand I'm getting a new car."

* * *

Ottery St. Catchpole at the Southern tip of England was where the Weasley home affectionately known as the "Burrow" was located. If ever there was a house that fit the old nursery rhyme about the crooked house this was it: a significant portion of it was being held up by magic. Despite its dilapidated condition however, the Burrow was a place of merriment and joy, where the Weasleys had always felt at home and where friends had always felt welcome no matter how dark and frightening the days had become. It was a small slice of happiness sitting quietly in the woods. And, it was currently in grave danger.

Three mechanical insects about as large as cars crawled to the edge of the woods observing the Burrow: a stag beetle, a rhinoceros beetle, and a grasshopper. They paid close attention to the various red haired humans coming and going from the crooked building with keen interest.

"The targets have been located-located," said the stag beetle. "Insecticons commence attack-attack!"

A/N Ah! Finally I got that chapter out of the way. I got brief instances of writer's block while writing this chapter but thankfully managed to get over them. In fact, it was a few of the reviews from the earlier chapters that gave me an idea of what I should do to fill the gaps. Well my readers, stand by for more.