Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Than Meets the Eye by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Than Meets the Eye

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and related characters are owned by J. K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, Warner Brothers and various publishers. Transformers and related characters are owned by Hasbro, Takara, IDW Publishing, Dreamworks, and various publishers. No money is being made off of this work.

A/N This might be a tad early but I don't care. I just post them as the audience reads them. Warning: Prime has a monologue that may seem off topic. I just wanted to insert the story in there somewhere and this felt like the right place. (innocent whistle)

Chapter 7: Meet the Autobots

"Op... Op... w-what are you blokes?" asked Harry. He may have perhaps come across as rude but he was a little too stunned at the moment for politeness.

Optimus Prime answered, "We are Autonomous Robotic Organisms from the planet Cybertron: Autobots for short."

"P-planet?" said Hermione. "Y-you mean you're e-e-extraterrestrials?"

"Hey you can use the word 'alien' if you want," said Jazz with a shrugging gesture, "We actually dig it."

"B-but how is that possible?" said Hermione. "I mean life forms from another planet?" Harry wondered how it was that in their world of wizards, witches, and magic; where dragons, goblins, unicorns, elves, trolls, giants, fairies, merpeople, werewolves, vampires, centaurs, ghosts, hippogriffs, even the yeti, and other such creatures were everyday topics, that the concept of aliens and robots (or alien robots as was the case) was so incomprehensible.

"There are many things in the world which may be but a fairy tale but have a strong grain of truth in them," said Optimus. He started introducing his team: "My Head of Special Operations, Jazz."

Jazz made a pose as if he were ready to break out into a break dance. "Get doooown with it." He said.

Prime continued, "My Second-in-Command and Head Tactician, Prowl."

Prowl didn't say anything, merely nodding his head in acknowledgement.

"And this is my Head of Espionage, Bumblebee."

"Espio... you mean you were spying on me?" said Harry. He wasn't being accusatory: he simply wanted to know why.

"Well hey, if it weren't for that you guys would be dead by now," said Bumblebee. "Besides, I think 'protecting' sounds better."

Harry simply said nothing for a moment, trying to comprehend what he had just learned. He only snapped out of it when Hermione desperately whispered, "H-Harry, I think Teddy's arm is broken."

Realizing that Ted was crying, though quietly, and that his right arm looked a little swollen, Harry started feeling panicked. "Oh no! We have to get him to St. Mungo's right away."

"Wait," said Optimus. "I do not pretend to know much about wizardry and magic but I do know enough to point out that your 'Apparating' could further harm the injury, especially for a child. Our method of transportation will be far safer and my Chief Medical Officer is truly efficient."

"Prime, I am not certain that is a wise choice," said Prowl. "Wizards have powers far beyond those of ordinary humans. Protocol suggests that we may be compromising our position."

"I am well aware of the protocols: I wrote them," said Prime. "Our position is already compromised, but I would gladly compromise all of our secrets if it meant saving even one life form."

Harry and Hermione glanced at each other, words being conveyed through their look. Finally they decided to just risk it and take Optimus Prime's invitation.

* * *

A few seconds later following a flash of light, Harry, Hermione, Ted, and the Autobots were standing in what looked like a well lit high-tech eco-friendly industrial plant. There were machines everywhere making gentle grinding noises while the sound of computers beeping rang out melodiously. Computer monitors were all over the place displaying data being constantly monitored while gears turned smoothly and gently in various locations all around them.

Bumblebee bounced forward and with a sweeping gesture proclaimed, "Welcome to the Ark!"

Harry and Hermione blinked before they realized that they had been teleported. "W-where are we?" said Harry.

"This is the Ark, our space vessel," said Optimus Prime.

"S-space vessel?" said Harry. "Y-you mean we're in outer space?"

"Actually," said Jazz, "we're inside a volcano in a mountain range called... what was it... oh yeah, the Cascades."

Hermione's jaw dropped. "The Cascades?" she exclaimed. "You mean we're in the United States?"

Harry's jaw dropped as well. The Cascade Mountain Range in the Northwest of the United States was far beyond their long distance Apparating range. Anything further he wished to say however was drowned out by the sound of an ambulance siren. Harry and Hermione looked toward their left to see that it was coming from a Search and Rescue themed Hummer H2 driving toward them. It was accompanied by a white Porsche Carrera GT with green racing stripes.

"This is my Chief Medical Officer, Ratchet," said Optimus just as the Hummer transformed into a robot adorned with red crosses and a laser scalpel in place of a right hand.

Ratchet took a quick look at Ted and said, "His skeletal structure will need repairing immediately. Place him on the bay." He turned to the Porsche and said, "Wheeljack, I'll need your help operating the machinery."

The Porsche, Wheeljack transformed into a robot with a pair of small wings on either side of his head and a faceplate consisting of multiple layers. "You got it. You handle the repairs, I'll handle the machinery."

"Wheeljack's our Chief Engineer," explained Bumblebee. "He designed the Ark."

Hermione slowly made her way to the "bay" which turned out to be a futuristic looking hospital bed, just the right size for Ted. "Um, excuse me... Ratchet," she said as she placed Ted on the bed. "I don't mean any offense but being a medic for robots... doesn't that essentially make you a mechanic rather than a doctor?"

"Technically yes," said Ratchet as he examined a number of his tools. "However, I assure you that I am well versed in the intricate details of the human anatomy. I can mend his bone as easily as I can patch up the circuitry of a damaged data chip."

"Don't worry about it," said Bumblebee. "You can trust the Doc more than any other 'bot on Cybertron... except maybe Prime."

"Hermione, we'll have to trust them," said Harry. "If they meant to harm us they would've already done so."

Hermione's brown eyes still conveyed worry but as they met Harry's green ones, they relaxed. Harry waved his wand over Ted and the boy fell into a deep, gentle sleep. Leaving Ted in Ratchet and Wheeljack's care Harry and Hermione followed after the other Autobots.

As they were walking along a bright red Nissan Skyline drove up to them at a tremendous speed. At the last minute before crashing into them the Skyline transformed into a robot that greatly resembled Bumblebee only it was red in color. "Hey, what's this about you guys fighting Decipti-creeps without me!" exclaimed the red robot.

"Nice to see you too, Cliffjumper," Bumblebee said dryly.

"You should've let me at 'em!" exclaimed Cliffjumper, bouncing on his heels like he was a boxer. "You should'a given me the go ahead! Man, I can't believe I missed it!"

"Cliffjumper!" said Optimus Prime. "Let it go." Cliffjumper shrugged and transformed back into a car before driving away. Optimus continued to lead a bewildered Harry and Hermione along.

They entered another vast chamber that was clearly the vessel's main bridge. Standing watch in the bridge was a GMC Topkick Pickup truck which instantly transformed into a bulky, well armed robot as soon as he noticed guests.

Prime introduced him as, "Chief of Security and Weapons Expert, Ironhide."

"Hmm," said Ironhide as he looked Harry and Hermione over like he was sizing them up. "You brought a wizard and witch on board."

"Er, yeah," said Harry, not sure what to make of Ironhide.

Ironhide sniffed and said, "Well, make yourselves at home."

Harry blinked. "Er, right," he said.

Harry and Hermione found a couple of seats that were the right size for them and sat down. The Autobots all crowded around them arranged from their left to right Prowl, Jazz, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, and Ironhide.

Prime was the first one to speak, "I do believe you have many questions for us."

Harry snorted. "No kidding," he said. "First of all, what's that other faction of robots and what are they after? Why are they attacking us? And why are you blokes here as well for that matter?"

"We are here to keep Megatron from gaining what he seeks from the Wizarding World," said Optimus.

"Megatron?" asked Harry and Hermione at the same time.

"He is our equivalent to your Lord Voldemort," answered Prime. "Megatron is the leader of the Decepticons, the faction behind the attacks. He gained something of great value from the Wizarding World and seeks to claim it in its entirety."

Noticing the blank looks on Harry's and Hermione's faces Optimus said, "Perhaps it would be best if I explain from the beginning. From the very beginning:

"Long, long ago there were two brothers of vast power who roamed the cosmos. Their names were Primus and Unicron. Where Primus embodied order, Unicron embodied chaos, and thus it was perhaps inevitable that the two brothers came to clash. For eons they battled, their powers so equal that neither could gain an upper hand. The battlefield shifted from the cosmos to the astral plain and then back to the universe where they both took on the form of vast metal planets. What was unique was that the planets could transform into a humanoid robot form based on the brothers' images while in the astral plain.

"Primus knew that he and Unicron could battle for all eternity and neither would emerge victorious. Thus, Primus created thirteen sentient beings made in his own image: robots whom could transform into other modes. And though one of them fell and became Unicron's servant, the rest were able to defeat Unicron and trap him in a dimensional prison. With Unicron defeated Primus chose to be one with the galaxy and thus entered planet mode permanently, eventually coming to be known as Cybertron. What was left of the thirteen, used their Sparks, their spirits granted to them by Primus, to multiply further creating our race. For a time, we lived in peace and harmony, yet it was not to last."

Optimus Prime paused for a moment collecting his thoughts before continuing, "The taint that Unicron left on our race was not to be easily gotten rid of. While most of our race was content with the peace, there were some who came to embrace the bloodlust of the lord of chaos. In secret, they staged forbidden gladiatorial combats within the shadier parts of Cybertron, where robot fought robot to the death. Eventually, a champion rose amongst the gladiators, Megatron.

"Power hungry, Megatron sought like-minded individuals through the contests with a flair for destruction: gathering them together in a faction called the Decepticons. When the moment was right, he struck killing thousands in those first destructive battles. We were a peace loving race but we learned to fight back. We took the name of 'Autobots' for our forces and thus the civil war dragged for millennia and much of Cybertron was ravaged with death and destruction.

"In this way the conflict between Primus and Unicron continued through the Autobots and Decepticons. With most of Cybertron exhausted of resources, Megatron turned his attention to the cosmos, searching the stars for something that could turn the tide of war to his favor."

"And he's found something in the Wizarding World that could do just that," concluded Hermione.

"But what is that?" said Harry. "The Decepticons stole the household inventories of my family and the Malfoy's. What could he possibly be seeking that either myself or the Malfoys have that..." Harry stopped as the answer became crystal clear. "The flaw in the plan."

"What?" said Hermione.

Harry looked seriously troubled. "The Elder Wand: it passed down from Dumbledore to Malfoy before it came to me. And the Invisibility Cloak would be listed in my family's inventory. DAMMIT!" Harry sprang up, completely agitated and started pacing. "Megatron's after the Deathly Hallows!"

* * *

Hidden within the shadows Megatron sat on his throne, his scarlet eyes glaring at the quivering Thundercracker, Skywarp, and Blitzwing. "So, he has met up with the Autobots, has he?" said Megatron. To the surprise of the other Decepticons, Megatron laughed. "Very well then; that only makes things far more interesting. Let them team up: this time nobody, not even Prime will be able to stop me." As he said this, Megatron held up his left hand and gazed at the tiny object held delicately in between his thumb and index finger: the Resurrection Stone.

A/N One or two of my readers scared me when they successfully guessed not only that the Decepticons were looking for the Hallows but also that Megatron had the stone. Maybe it wasn't too obvious but I was hoping it was. Well, now that you know what the Decepticons are after, tune in for more.