Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unwanted Love by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unwanted Love

Harrys Mistress

Hey kids! Here's a new update and fairly long! Hope you enjoy and thanks again for the reviews! Love them! Also thanks for the e-mails for those who have sent me one…I really enjoy those! They make my day!

~HM

Chapter 15

Phoebe Cosgrove stood on her stepping stool as he helped her Dad brush down Jack-the bay gelding that was one of the horses going on the camping trip. The camping trip her Daddy wouldn't let her go on, she thought with a pout. He always let her go before…just because it would be larger than most shouldn't matter. She wasn't a little girl anymore and she could even be a big help.

However, the main reason she wanted to go was to spend more time with the woman that's made her daddy happier than she ever remembered him being. She was coming soon, but just one quick visit wasn't enough. What if she was wrong for Daddy? What if she was really bad…like her mommy. No, Julie, she corrected quickly. She refused to call her `mommy' anymore. As far as she was concerned she didn't have a mommy…just a daddy and that was enough because he loved her and was always there for her.

Pondering, she lifted her chin to study him over Ranger's back. He was whistling while he worked…she couldn't recall him ever doing that before. He wasn't the whistling type…she kind of liked it. Maybe this…what was her name again? Nora, she remembered. Maybe Nora was good for him…but she couldn't be sure until she saw for herself.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, sweet-pea?" he asked as he kept brushing Ranger's matted hair that was caked with dried mud. He just had to roll around in the mud the night before, he thought with a shake of his head.

"When is she getting here?"

"Soon."

Phoebe bit her lip. "What if she doesn't like me?"

Dallas looked up then. "She'll love you. She's very excited to meet you…and a bit nervous."

Her eye's widened. "Nervous?" She poked her brush to her chest. "Meeting me? But I'm just a kid."

"You're not just a kid, you're my kid and she knows how much you mean to me." He reached over to nuzzle her head. "I come with a package…she can't have me without you and she knows that…and respects that."

She was quiet a moment and Dallas could almost hear her thoughts whirling in her head. "Did you tell her about Julie?"

"Yes, I did. She was sad for both of us and thought Julie was selfish and stupid for letting us both go."

Phoebe gave him a wobbly smile. "Maybe I'll like her after all."

"I sure hope so." He tweaked her nose, causing her to giggle and then looked up to see Nora walking up to the stable. "Here she comes…let's go out and meet her."

Phoebe turned jumped off her stool and took a moment to study the slim redhead walking up the dusty path towards the stables. She had on jeans, red boots and a simple white blouse and had an overnight bag hanging over her shoulder. Her Daddy grabbed her hand and urged her along out of the stables and into the sun.

"Hey," Dallas greeted her with a smile as he took her bag immediately and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thanks for coming early."

"I wouldn't miss it." She looked down at the little blonde girl who was studying her very hard. "Hi, Phoebe." She held out her hand. "It's nice to finally meet you."

Phoebe was a bit surprised at the outstretched hand. Usually adults would nuzzle her head or worse-pinch her cheek and call her a `sweetie-pie' or `an absolute angel'. Nora did none of those things and was one of the few to treat her like a big kid or an adult. "You, too," she said accepting her hand. "You're pretty."

Nora's soft smile bloomed. "Thank you…so are you. You look a lot like your Daddy."

Phoebe sighed and shook her head sadly. "No…I look like my mo-Julie."

Nora exchanged a quick look with Dallas, who gave a sad little shrug. "Actually," she said, turning her attention to Phoebe. "I think you have your Daddy's eyes. And smile," she added when Phoebe suddenly smiled.

"Really?" she asked, obviously pleased.

"Oh, definitely," she assured her and shared a pleasing smile with her. "Have you been helping your Daddy get ready for the big camping trip?"

"Yep!" She nodded enthusiastically. "We have a bunch of help today, but I know all about horses. Daddy taught me."

"He taught me, too. Are you going to help keep my crazy family together during the trip?"

Phoebe's smile faded. "No…Daddy won't let me go."

Dallas rolled his eyes. "Here we go."

"Why can't she come?" Nora asked him as she took a defending step closer to Phoebe's side.

"Yeah, Daddy? Why?"

"Uh-oh," he said warily. "I have a feeling I'm getting ambushed by my girls. I think I'm a little terrified right now."

"Dallas, she has to come," she said softly as she put a hand on his arm.

"Nora, I would love to bring her…but it's just such a big camping trip and there's so much I have to do, I don't know if I could keep an eye on her."

"I'll watch her," she said, smiling down at Phoebe's hopeful face. "Dallas, I know we're technically the `customers' in this little camping trip, but I don't see it that way. This is my family and as far as I'm concerned…both of you are a part of it. It just wouldn't seem right if she wasn't there."

Dallas felt his heart trip in his chest at her words and lifted a hand only to touch the side of her cheek softly. He didn't say anything, he didn't have to…he knew she realized what she said to him meant more than anything. "Sweet-pea?" he finally said looking down at his little girl.

"Yes?" she asked with wide, hopeful eyes.

"Go into the stables and call down Barnaby," he said with a smile. "We'll owl Manny to pack you an overnight bag and bring it up here."

"Yes!" She whooped as she jumped up and down, before wrapping her arms around his legs. "Thanks, Daddy!"

He wobbled a bit, but just laughed as she patted her back. "You're welcome."

Phoebe then turned around and hugged a very surprised Nora. "Thanks, Nora! I can't wait to meet your family!"

Nora gently ran a hand over the top of her head. "Me too, Phoebe."

"Oh Dallas," she murmured as they watched her run back into the stables. "She's just precious." She leaned into him when he came to put an arm around her. "You did an amazing job raising her."

Dallas let out a shaky laugh. "It wasn't easy….I'll say that." He leaned down and risked being caught by giving her a quick kiss. The rules just didn't seem to be important anymore. "Thank you."

"So…need any help getting ready?"

"Wouldn't say no to it," he said as they walked towards the stables with their arms wrapped around each other. "I have a few people helping out and some that are already at the campsite getting the tents set up."

"Have you saddled up Queen B yet?"

"Not yet…would you like to do the honors?"

"Yes, I believe I would."

"He just flew off!" an excited Phoebe exclaimed as she ran towards them. "I found some paper in your office, Daddy and I wrote a note all by myself!"

"Good girl," he said scooping her up in his arms. "Nora's going to go and saddle up Queen B. Why don't you help her out? Just in case she needs some guidance."

"Okay!" She wiggled back down to the ground and grabbed Nora's hand. "Come on, Nora! Queenie's stall is this way!"

Nora laughed and managed to kiss Dallas one last time before letting herself be dragged away by the girl that had already managed to capture her heart.

XXX

With the help of his crew-and his two best girls-Dallas was able to get all the horses saddled and ready to go by the time Nora's family arrived. They were all gathered around by the corral, obviously waiting for instructions, and the size of the group made Dallas' stomach twitch nervously. "Wow, that's a lot of family members."

Nora laughed. "Don't worry…they're harmless…er…but keep an eye on the triplets." Nora looked down at Phoebe who was standing between them and also looking at her family in awe. "The triplets are about your age, Phoebe."

"Really?" she said and eyed the three identical blondes who were perched on the corral petting a nearby horse.

"Uh-oh," Dallas said with a wince when he remembered about the terrible trio. "Should I be worried?"

"I think your girl can handle a bunch of boys," Nora said and winked down at her. "Right?"

Phoebe lifted her chin. "Right."

Harry walked up to them and held out a hand to Dallas. "Well, we're all here and accounted for."

Dallas took his hand in a firm handshake. "And I'm all set on this end…horses are all saddled up and ready to go. I'll just need to talk to the group first and explain some safety rules and everything."

"Sounds good." Harry smiled down at the little girl that was looking up at him. "Hi there…you must be, Phoebe."

"Yes…who are you?" She asked curiously.

"I'm Harry…Nora's Daddy."

Her eyes widened. "Really?

"You bet," he said as he pulled Nora to his side for a hug. "She's my little munchkin."

Phoebe giggled. "She's too big to be a munchkin."

"She may be all grown up, but she'll always be my little girl. Just like you'll always be your daddy's little girl."

"He's right," Dallas said as he scooped her up. "No matter how big you get…" He poked a finger to her belly causing her to giggle. "You'll always be my sweet-pea."

"Are you going to be joining us, Phoebe?" Harry asked.

"Uh-huh! Nora talked my Daddy into it."

Harry laughed. "Nora's good at that. Well, I'm glad she did…we're all going to have a great time. Dallas, I'll take you over to the family if you're ready."

"Sure." He set Phoebe down on her feet. "You stay here by Nora, I'll be back, okay?"

She nodded and Dallas nuzzled her head before following Harry over to the crowd. "She's a sweet girl," Harry commented once Dallas was at his side.

Dallas smiled. "That she is."

"My wife and I were admiring the three of you before I came up." Harry paused a few feet away from the crowd. "You three look good together."

Dallas let out a relieving breath he didn't realize he was holding. "I like the sound of that, Mr. Potter."

"Harry," he corrected.

"Harry." He looked back over to Nora who was now holding Phoebe on her hip while she jabbered away about something. Phoebe still liked to be held, but knew the time was coming when she'd be too big for it. "I imagine you and your wife want to talk to me…eventually."

Harry grinned. "You imagined right…but for right now, that can wait. Why don't we stand on that bench over there and get this started?"

Dallas nodded and then the two of them jumped up onto the bench, towering over the loud, talkative crowd. "Hey, Sparky, a little help?" Harry asked then quickly covered his ears. "You might want to do the same."

Dallas blinked in confusion, but then winced at the loud, piercing, whistle that erupted from Harry's wife. "Holy crap," Dallas murmured as he wiggled his ear.

Harry chuckled. "Isn't she great?" He asked removing his hands from his ears and noticed everyone was looking at them now, some were even rubbing their ears. "Works like a charm…thanks, sweetie."

"My pleasure."

"Well, now that we got your attention," Harry said to his family, who were now in full attention. "This is Dallas Cosgrove…he's in charge of the horses and this camping trip. He has a few things he wants to say so listen up, okay? We're a much bigger crowd than he's use to so we want to make sure we listen to what he has to say. Dallas? You have the floor."

Harry plopped down and joined Hermione and Dallas all of the sudden felt that nervous flutter in his stomach. He casted a quick glance to Nora and she smiled back, gave him a wink and just like that the nervous flutter was gone. "Well…as you all know, I'm Dallas Cosgrove…"

"Noraaa's boyfriend," Luke Potter teased, erupting a wave a giggles and chuckles.

Dameon slapped Luke at the back of the head. "Don't mind him, Dallas…he's not fully trained yet."

"That's okay," he said, grinning at the boy who now was rubbing the back of his head. "I like the sound of it."

"Awww," the girls cooed in unison.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Okay, okay…that's enough. Now listen up, guys. Go ahead, Dallas."

"Right." He cleared his throat and shared a humorous look with Nora. "Anyway…I have all horses saddled and ready to go and one by one I'll assign you to a horse and one of my associates will lead you to your horse. The one thing I want to press on is safety…the last thing I want is for any of you to get hurt.

"Horses are not like broomsticks…you can control them, but they do have a mind of their own. I've picked the best and most well behaved horses, so it shouldn't be a problem, but it's still best if you always keep your guard up. Also, I'd like for you all to buddy up. If there has to be a group of three that's fine, but no more then three to a group. Try and stay with your group during the trail…we'll all be fairly close together but this will help keeping track of everyone.

"Once we get to the camp, the tents should all be set up for everyone. We have three total tents split up in a way that Harry had requested. One for him and his wife, plus the Malfoys. The other will hold their kids and spouses, while the last and the biggest of the three…will hold the rest of you. All three tents will be close together so you'll be able to interact easily if needed. The staff tent will out of sight, but close in case you need us.

"Let's see, what else…there's a lake nearby for swimming and quite a few trails if anyone wants to take a hike. All meals will be provided and we even built a bonfire for tonight. I hope everyone has a great time and if you need anything don't be afraid to ask me, or anyone of my associates, and we'll take care of it. But for now, start pairing up and then form a line over at the entrance to the stables and we'll get this camping trip started. Thanks everyone."

Once he stepped down the loud chattering of brothers, sisters and cousins escaladed as everyone grabbed their desired buddy. The pairs weren't a surprise to Ava as she saw Michelle and Kristin hook arms together, Zoe dragging Blake urgently to the stables and Parker and Whitney trailing close behind.

Pairings were linking up left and right and just as she was about to worm her way into Michelle and Kristen's group, a pair of familiar arms wrapped around her from behind. "Will you be my buddy?" Dameon murmured hopefully in her ear and she couldn't stop the shiver tremble through her body.

"Me?" she asked teasingly as she placed her hands on his arms that still had her captive. The rest of the family had gone up to the stables so they were left behind…and alone. "Give me one good reason why I should say yes."

"Hmm," he pondered as he playfully rested his chin against her shoulder. "Because deep, deep…deepdeepdeep down…you like hanging out with me."

Ava tilted her head towards him and smiled. "Maybe...but only deep, deep, down."

He chuckled as he straightened and put an arm around her. "That's good…we're making progress."

"I say we're making big progress." Ava motioned over to the bench and headed towards it. "The lines a little long…why don't we sit down for a minute."

"Okay," he said and sat down beside her and propped his arm on the back of the bench behind her. "And you're right…we've come a long way in the last few weeks. It's still weird…not fighting with you all the time."

She grinned. "Miss it?"

He gave a playful shrug. "Maybe a bit."

"Well…it's only a matter of time," she said giving him a comforting pat on the leg. "We may be friends now, but I have a feeling we'll still bump heads now and again."

"That's reassuring. Thanks."

"I do what I can."

Dameon glanced over at the stables to see that they still had awhile before they had to up there. "Dallas seems like a cool guy."

"Yeah," she said as she glanced over to see Nora helping out Dallas with Phoebe by her side. "His daughter is beautiful…and you can tell he loves her."

"Do you think Nora will stay behind?"

"I think she'll do whatever she has to do to be with him." She leaned back and looked up at him. "She loves him."

"But they've only known each other for two weeks."

"Well…when you know, you know."

"I guess," he said with uncertainty. "As long as she's happy."

"What about you?"

Dameon's brows lifted. "What about me?"

She tried her best to act casual as she nudged him with her shoulder. "Is there a special girl in your life?"

Dameon gave her a slow grin. "As a matter of fact…there is."

"Oh. I see." Ava felt her heart practically crumble into pieces but hid her disappointment with a bright smile. "What's her name?"

Oh, she was good, he thought as he bit back a chuckle. So good in fact, he almost missed the flash of disappointment flash across her face. But he caught it…barely. What would she say if he told her the special girl was she? She'd probably turn pale as Nearly Headless Nick and drop her chin to the floor. It tempted him to go ahead and spill the beans…but not quite yet…not with their family so close by.

"Don't worry about it," he finally said as he got to his feet and pulled her to her own. "Let's go get our self some horses and saddle up," he said in his best country twang.

"Horrible accent."

"You could do better?"

"No, which is why I'm smart enough not to do it in the first place."

"Hmm, I sense a bit of an attitude." He stopped in his tracks and looked down at her hopefully. "Wait a minute, are we going to fight?"

The laughter escaped her before she could stop it and jokingly shoved him away. "Oh, shut up."

Dameon just got back into step with her. "Whatever you say, buddy."

Nora smiled when she saw them walk up. "Are you two buddies?"

Dameon put an arm around Ava and gave her a squeeze. "Sure are."

Dallas grinned. "Nice pairing, I say…Dameon, I'm going to put you on Ranger…he's that bay over there. Phoebe? Why don't you go and introduce Dameon to Ranger?"

Her eyes lit up. "Okay! This way Dameon…Ranger's really nice, you're going to love him!"

"Great…thanks cutie," he said and then winked at Ava before allowing himself to be tugged away by Phoebe.

"Nora, will you take Ava to Gunner…he's the gray speckled horse a few horses down on your right."

"Sure," Nora said and hooked an arm around her little sister and slowed her walk so she'd have a minute to chat. "You okay?"

"Fine," she said in a high-pitched voice. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because you usually talk like you just sucked down a gallon of helium whenever you try to tell us nothing is wrong when something actually is."

She sighed. "It's nothing…I'll get over it. Later," she said in an urgent whisper when Nora opened her mouth to object. "It's stupid, really."

"Okay…later, but if it makes you sad, it's not stupid." She gave her arm a pat. "For now…let me introduce you to Gunner. Isn't he beautiful? I remember seeing him in the meadow when I first walked to the stables."

"He's awfully…big," she said as she eyed the creature next to her.

"He's a big old teddy bear," she assured her as she walked over to Gunner's head and gave it a scratch. "Know how to get on? No, I suppose not," she added when Ava gave her a dry look. "Just stick you're the ball of your foot in that stirrup there…no the left foot…that's it…now grab the horn on the saddle and yank yourself up."

Ava gripped the horn like it was a second lifeline and took a deep breath before she pulled herself up onto the stirrup and swung her other leg over. "I did it," she said as she perched happily in the saddle. "That was easy."

Nora handed her the reins. "Just wait…actually riding one is even better. You move the reins to steer…pretty straight forward. Just move the reins in the direction you want it to go and pull back on the reins to stop him, but make sure it's just one smooth tug, because if you pull too much, Gunner will think you want him to go backwards. Got it?"

"I guess," she said uneasily.

"Don't worry," she assured her. "You'll get the hang of it. Now…I got to go get on Queen B."

"Queen B?" Ava repeated with a chuckle. "If Dallas picked that out? He definitely knows you."

Nora laughed. "Definitely. I'll see you on the trail."

"Hey Ava." Mason, who was sitting on his horse next to her, grinned foolishly at her. "Isn't this great? Cool horse…what's her name?"

"His," she corrected. "His name is Gunner. What about yours?"

"This is Maverick," he said as he patted the brown and white paint he was on. "He's real sweet. This is going to be so cool!"

"Very," she said smiling at his excitement as she tried to get over how upset she was but was failing miserably.

Who was this girl? Where the hell did she come from? When she had asked him the question, she was only being flirty…she didn't actually think that there was a girl. Stupid, she told herself with a silent curse. Stupid to think there was something between her and Dameon.

She would just have to suck it up and act like it didn't bother her. She could do it, she assured herself with a firm nod. She was a pro at not liking Dameon so she could definitely go back to that. Except…it was different now. He was showing his sweet side way too often and…he was right…she loved hanging out with him. And nowhere near deep down…more like way up…if that made any sense.

Ava looked over at her other side to see her dad saddled up on a huge black horse. "Dad?"

Harry, who had been laughing with Draco who was on his other side, turned over to Ava. "Oh, hey pumpkin…are you…hey, what's wrong?"

Ava rolled her eyes. "Nothing…okay something…but I wanted to ask you something."

"Anything."

"If there was someone…I mean…something…you wanted, but…couldn't have it? What would you do?"

"Well…why couldn't I have it?"

"That's not important, I just…"

"Of course it is," he said interrupting her. "Ava, if I want something bad enough…I get it." He grinned. "Just ask your mother…I'm very stubborn."

Ava sighed. "So you're saying…that no matter how far the odds…I shouldn't give up?"

He gave her a wink. "Exactly. You're just as stubborn as me, pumpkin…I'm sure if you try hard enough…you'll get that person…I mean…ahem…thing…in no time."

Ava thought about it a moment, then smiled confidently. "Yeah…you're right. Since when have I every backed down from a challenge?"

"Can't recall a time."

"Exactly…because I'm a Potter and Potter's don't quit."

"That's my girl," he said with a laugh.

"Okay everyone!" Dallas bellowed from the back end of the stables. "We're going to slowly walk out of the stables and conjugate over by the open field. When you get there, find your buddy if you haven't already and when we're all set we'll head for the trail. Sometimes the trail will get a bit narrow so we might have to single file the horses, but mostly it should be wide enough to spread out a bit. Remember, keep your guard up and if you ever feel uncomfortable on your horse or feel like you don't have control, jump off immediately. Clear?" When there were murmured yeses and nods of understanding, Dallas nodded as well. "Good…let's move out."

Dallas, who had the triplets securely tied to him, urged Tango out of the stables with Phoebe riding her red sorrel mare, Daisy, by his side and Nora close behind him on the other side riding Queen B.

"It's not fair," Patrick pouted as he eyed Phoebe. "Why does she get to ride without a rope?"

Dallas swiveled in his seat. "Because she's been riding since she could walk. Sorry, kid…can't take any chances with you three….your parents would kill me if anything happened to you."

"Hmmph," he pouted and then narrowed his eyes when Phoebe snickered at him. Girls, he thought with a roll of his eyes. What a waste of space.

In the middle of the pack, Harry nudged his horse Merlin, up to Ava. "By the way, pumpkin?" he murmured as he leaned closer to her. "My money's on you." He gave her nose a tweak. "Dameon doesn't stand a chance."

Ava's jaw dropped and her dad just chuckled as he trotted away to catch up to her mom. "Bloody hell."

"What's wrong?"

Ava whirled in her saddle to see Dameon walking beside him on his horse. "N-nothing," she said and made herself calm down. "Nothing at all."

You're going down, Malfoy, she thought with a wicked smile. You're going down.

-->