Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unwanted Love by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unwanted Love

Harrys Mistress

Here's an update! Hope you enjoy! Thanks for all your support!


~HM

Chapter 6

This was the life, Ava thought as she lazily swirled her fingers through the cool water of the pool. She was currently stretched out on a raft the resort provided and was floating aimlessly around one part of the ridiculously large pool. The raft came with a very handy drink holder, so she decided to order herself a fruity little alcoholic drink to satisfy her thirst. So what if it was in the middle of the day and so what if she went back to the house a little tipsy…she was, after all, on vacation. And on that note, she toasted herself and took another greedy sip, then sighed as she closed her eyes and relaxed under the sun.

She could hear the sound of childish laugher and splashing from the other side of the pool. Somewhere…a baby was crying…probably got too much sun and now was in a much need for a nap. She heard birds chirping nearby and off in the distance she could hear the soft hum of a muggle plane flying somewhere overhead. Not too far from her, she heard a female giggle merged with a deep male chuckle, followed by a splash.

"Peter!" She giggled. "Cut it out, you crazy person!"

"I'm certainly crazy about you," he murmured, followed by more giggling. "Let's go back to our room, we can…"

His voice trailed off, and the girl giggled again. Newlyweds, Ava guessed with a smile. The tone of their voices was practically dripping with love. Peter and the giggling woman, reminded her of her parents. They were far from newlyweds, but they certainly never stopped acting like ones. She found it sweet and endearing most of the times, but she had been guilty of rolling her eyes at their lovey-doveyness now and again.

However, she hoped one day she'd have that same connection with the man she'd end up marrying. She thought of Liam, and wondered if she could have that type of connection with him. She shook it out of her mind almost immediately…their relationship was too fresh to worry about that. She'd just take it one day at a time.

Liam had decided to spend his day over at the Quidditch pitch for the third day in a row. She went to watch him on the first day for support, but found it too tedious, which had surprised her since going to a Quidditch match back at school was one of her favorite memories. Perhaps it was because of the heat…it was just too dang hot to sit out there all damn day.

So, she'd told him she'd be at the pool instead and he seemed okay with it. Almost too okay with it…like he wanted to get rid of her. No…that was stupid to think. He just really liked playing Quidditch and he was on vacation, too, and had the right to spend it any way he wanted. Besides, it had only been four days since they arrived…they had plenty of time to do things together.

And with that said, she picked up her empty drink and thought, `What the hell?' and tapped the rim of the glass three times. She grinned when her glass magically began to fill up to the rim with strawberry daiquiri. She wiggled in anticipation and just as she was about to take her first sip…her whole world turned upside down…literally.

It happened so fast she didn't even see it coming. One second, she was perfectly dry, enjoying the warm rays of the sun, the next, her raft toppled over and she was submerged under the cold water. She already knew who it was before she even resurfaced, only one person would be low enough to do something so sneaky. She was cursing his name the moment she was able to resurface and draw in her first breath. "Malfoy! You little shit!"


Dameon was laughing so hard he thought he might pass out. Her back was to him, so she didn't' even see who it was. She had known it had been him and that pleased him immensely. "Sorry," he managed to gasp out and she spun angrily around to face him. "I saw you lying there…looking peaceful, I almost didn't go through with it…."

He had also spent a decent amount of time admiring the crimson red bikini that adorned her body. It had slightly agitated him to find out that little A.J….the girl who had been his constant annoyance most of his life…had one fantastic body. However, he would not be telling her this anytime soon.

"Then I thought, `Why on earth would I do that?' I mean, come on…one of my most favorite pleasures in life is to make you mad…I couldn't pass this wonderful opportunity that presented itself."

"You're an idiot," she snapped back. "And you owe me a drink," she added as she held up her glass, which was now filled with pool water. When he only laughed harder, she threw the contents right in his face.

Dameon flinched, and sputtered out profanities as he wiped his face. He lifted a brow at her pleasing chuckle. "You now know this means war…so you better start swimming, Potter."

As soon as she saw the gleam in his eyes, she took off towards the other side of the pool, fully knowing it was only a matter of time before he caught up with her.

She let out a yelp when a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist and tugged her back like a rag doll against his chest. "Malfoy!" she shrieked as she wiggled against him. "Let me…ahhh!"

Her pleas were cut off when he body tackled them both into the water. He didn't let her go when they were underwater, only held on tighter as she continued to squirm against him. He finally shot them to the surface and was pleasantly surprised when she was laughing, instead of cursing at him. "Having fun yet?"

"A blast," she sputtered and tried to move away, but it was useless…his arms were so strong it was like being held down by iron. "Are you going to let me go?"

"Hmm," he pondered for a moment. "Maybe in a minute," he said and lifted her up before throwing them both back under the surface.

She was having the time of her life…with Malfoy of all people! She couldn't quite believe it and decided not to think too much about it and enjoy the moment. They'd probably go back to hating each other soon enough.

After a few more tackles, he reluctantly let her go and the fight turned to petty splashes and quick dunks while shrieks and laughter consumed them both. They hardly noticed the people around them watching their fight with amusement and certainly were too involved with each other to hear the nearby older woman commenting to her friend what a cute couple they were.

"Truce," Ava laughed as she held up her hands. "My eyes are starting to get irritated and I think I've swallowed about a gallon of water."

Dameon grinned as he pushed back his wet hair. "Okay, truce," he agreed, slightly out of breath. "I was winning, though."

Ava let out a snort as she sunk herself lower into the water "You're so full of yourself, Malfoy."

"Naturally." He followed suit and dipped down so they were eye level. "Where's boy wo…I mean, Liam," he corrected when he saw the flash of anger in her eyes.

"Quidditch pitch," she said before dunking under the water to sooth her hair back.

"Again?" he asked after she resurfaced. "Didn't he go yesterday? And the day before that?"

"Yeah, so?" She gave her best careless shrug. "He likes playing Quidditch."

"So do I, but I don't have to play it every second of every day." He reached over and gave her hair a playful tug. "And I'm especially not interested in playing if I have a pretty girl at my disposal."

Ava blinked. "Did you just call me…pretty?"

Dameon cocked his head. "Well, sure…just because we bump heads, A.J., doesn't mean I don't have eyes. You're very pretty and it somewhat pisses me off that Liam doesn't appreciate that or you. Ah now, look at that? I've made you blush."

That only made her blush even more profusely. "Knock it off, Malfoy. This side of you is making me nervous."

"Should I apologize, then?"

"Yes…I mean no…oh, never mind…I don't know what I'm saying."

Dameon fought back grin. "I see."

"It's getting late," she said as she stepped uneasily away from him. "Liam might be back at the house wondering where I am."

"Oh, we mustn't keep Liam waiting," he said sarcastically, but followed Ava to the silver ladder on the side of the pool.

"Shut your pie-hole, Malfoy," she said as she darted a look over her shoulder before she pulled herself up.

"Cute," he said as he tried not to admire her backside when he followed up behind her.

"Thanks," she said with a smirk. "I thought so."

Dameon returned the smirk and then thought seriously about pushing her back in the pool, but before he could take action, Ava gasped in pain before crumbling to the ground. "What?" he asked in a blind panic as he immediately crouched to her side. "What is it? Are you all right?"

"No, I'm not all right!" she shouted at him while she plopped down on her butt and grabbed her foot. "I stepped on a wasp!"

Dameon winced in sympathy, but his blind panic quickly lessened into extreme concern. "That must hurt."

"You think!" she snapped back then let out a string of profanities that had Dameon lift a brow. "I think I have the right to curse, okay Malfoy?"

"No doubt…just didn't know you were so creative." He shifted himself and snuck his arm around her waist and lifted her hand around her neck. "C'mon let me help you up."

She had opened her mouth to argue the fact that she was perfectly capable of getting up herself, but he had her up on her feet so quickly she hadn't had the chance. She did have the chance to object when he started to lift her in his arms. "Stop that," she said as she struggled away from him. "I can walk my damn self. I'm not invalid."

"Well then," he said stepping back and sweeping his arm out. "By all means…walk."

Ava lifted her chin, squared her shoulders and took the first step with her throbbing foot and the pain shot straight up her leg, causing her to wince in pain. Refusing to accept the fact that she probably did need help, she began to hop on one foot.

Dameon rolled his eyes. "Stubborn woman," he said as he caught up to her in too easy strides and then scooped her up into his arms, ignoring her shrieks and protests. "You're being ridiculous, A.J. I'm not going to let you hop all the way to the house, so just…shut your pie-hole."

Ava slanted her eyes up at him. "I hate you."

"Yeah, we've established that fact long ago," he said in a bored voice. "Now, where are your things?" When she only crossed her arms and pouted, Dameon simply walked to the edge of the pool and dangled her over it. "Oh, yes I would," he answered when Ava gave him her famous "you wouldn't dare" look.

Ava sighed in defeat and then pointed over to the lounge chair on the other side of the pool that held all her things she had brought with her. She ignored his smug look as he began to carry her over to the pool as she also tried to ignore the amount of his bare skin, touching her bare skin. Entirely too much. And bloody hell, he was strong. He plucked her off her feet as if she weighed as much as a bag full of feathers. The thought of that made an unwanted tremble rush through her body.

"Cold?" he asked as he set her down on the lounge.

"No," she said through her teeth as she grabbed her bag and pulled out her cover-up.

"I'll be right back…I have to go get my shoes that I kicked off before." He pointed a finger at her. "Don't move…I'll just have to scoop you up again."

She shivered again and that only pissed her off even more. "I think we've established the fact that I can't walk on it…just go get your crap, I'll be here."

He just grinned as he walked off to grab his shoes. The lady was in a pissy mood, which was no surprise to him. She wasn't the type of girl to get hysterical on you when she hurt herself, like most females. She got pissed off and annoyed when she had no choice but to depend on others. It was one of the few things he liked about her.

When he came back, she was sitting on the edge of the lounge with her arms crossed in front of her chest with her bag over her shoulder. She had thrown on a white cover-up that didn't cover up much since he could still see her long tanned legs. Merlin, she had some legs on her.

He didn't even ask if she was ready. After giving her a quick glance over, he simply bent over and easily cradled her in his arms again. His very strong, well defined arms that seemed to make her feel warm and safe. Absurd, she thought as she quickly pushed that disturbing thought away. Absolutely absurd.

"How's the foot?" he asked as they walked out of the pool area.

"Throbs like a bitch," she muttered.

Dameon grinned. "Well, I'm sure there's something back at the house that will help."

"There's an emergency kit at the house…I'll know how to deal with it."

"Ah, that's right…Healer in training. Are you going to Healing school next year?"

"That's my plan," she said as he headed towards the house. "I've been accepted to a few schools in England, but…"

"But what?"

"The school in London is the hardest to get accepted to," she admitted as she bit her lip. "I still haven't heard from them yet, but I hope to soon."

"You don't think you'll get in?"

She shrugged. "Only a select few are accepted…it's very likely I will, but I had to at least try."

"Well…I don't see why you wouldn't…you're a geek to the core, A.J."

"Was that supposed to be a compliment?" she asked skeptically.

He chuckled. "Yes, actually…what I meant to say was, you're super smart and they'd be idiots not to take you. Was that better?"

She pondered for a moment. "I suppose," she finally said and a sudden wave of pleasure swept through her from his surprisingly kind words. "Thank you, Dameon."

Since it was always a shock to hear her call him by his first name, he stopped a moment to look at her and he could tell that she was actually genuine about it. "You're welcome, Ava."

Ava's mouth parted slightly in surprise. He never called her Ava. Never. It was always A.J. or Grace or even Potter, but never Ava. And why did the sound of her real name coming from his lips made her heart quiver violently in her chest. Even now…as he continued to look at her in a way no one had before, made her whole body tremble and her breath start to shallow. Oh god…this was not good. Not good at all.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Ava and Dameon both snapped their attention away from each other and stared at a very angry looking Liam who was stalking over to them. "Liam!" Ava exclaimed as she tried to wiggle herself out of Dameon's arms.

Dameon only held on to her tighter. "Kelson," he said stiffly. "Finished with Quidditch, then?"

"Why in the bloody hell are you holding my girlfriend?" he asked ignoring his question. "You put her down this instant!"

"Or what?" he asked with a snort. "You going to kick my ass, Kelson?"

"Shut up, Malfoy, you're not helping!" Ava exclaimed as she tried to get down.

So, she was back to Malfoy, was she? Fair enough. "Stop with the dramatics, A.J. I'm not putting you down."

"The hell you're not!" Liam exclaimed as he took a threatening step towards them. "Get your hands off her, Malfoy."

"Liam, it's not what it looks like," Ava said in a quiet calming tone. "I stepped on a wasp by the pool and it hurt too bad to walk, okay? He was just carrying me home. It's completely harmless."

Liam clenched his teeth. There was nothing harmless about the way Malfoy was looking at her…or the way she was looking at him. "Fine, then…I'll carry you the rest of the way."

"Don't bother…I've got her." Dameon held her even tighter. "Why don't you just go back and play Quidditch…wouldn't want you to miss anything exciting."

"For your information…I am done for the day." He reached over and grabbed Ava's arm. "I'll take her from here."

"Malfoy, just drop it, okay?" she asked in a pleading voice.

"Fine," he said as he practically threw her in Liam's arms. "Be my guest."

Liam stumbled back slightly when she was in his arms and Ava could tell holding her wasn't quite as easy for him. It only made her remember how much more stronger Dameon felt than Liam. "Let's go," she said to Liam, wanting to get away before there were any more confrontations. "My foot is still killing me."

Dameon watched them walk away and then spun around and stalked the other way, hoping to walk off his anger. He chose one of the closet trails, but didn't give time to look at the scenery that surrounded him. He kept his head down the whole way as he tried to calm himself down.

He wanted to punch the son of a bitch. Wanted to punch him in his fucking smug face. What the hell did she see in him? Everyone knew what a freaking loser he was, why couldn't A.J. see it? And what the hell happened back there between him and Ava? The way he stared at her like that was uncanny. He had tried to look away from her, but just couldn't seem to do it. It was as if he was in a trance.

And for one moment, he had wondered what it would be like to kiss her. What would she do if he bent his head down and covered her mouth with his? It was only for an instant…and it was stupid to even think about it, but he now knew it was too late. Now that he did think about what it would be like to kiss Ava James Potter…he was going to have a very difficult time forgetting about it.

-->