Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Well we got this update to you guys on time. Thanks so much for ALL the reviews for the last chapter- you'll find out what happened with R/Hr right about now!

Please let us know what you think!!!

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Harry shook him.

"You didn't tell him, did you?" Malfoy asked laughing even though he was finding it hard to breathe. "Granger and Weasley, I'm surprised at you..."

Harry shoved Malfoy back so hard he hit the wall. "What's he talking about?"

"Nothing," Hermione said not looking at Harry.

"He's full of shit," Ron said also looking away.

Malfoy smirked as he collected himself. "These dirty little secrets sure find a way to the surface," he said before Pansy helped him walk away.

"What was he talking about?" Harry asked.

"It was a long time ago," Ron began to explain, his cheeks almost as red as his hair. "And it didn't mean anything..."

"You two dated?" Harry put two and two together.

"No!" Ron and Hermione exclaimed in unison.

"Then what?" Harry asked, confused.

"We might have snogged a few times," Ron muttered.

"It wasn't anything big," Hermione was so red in the face it looked like she might spontaneously combust.

"Yeah," Ron chimed in. "I try to forget about it, to tell you the truth."

Hermione glared at him. "You weren't so great either."

"Me?" Ron asked glaring right back at her. "You slobbered all over me!"

"Only because you forced your tongue down my throat!" she snapped back.

"Okay!" Harry stood between them. "I really don't want to hear about this."

"Sorry," Ron muttered.

"Sorry," Hermione said quietly.

"Look," Harry was a bit exasperated. "I understand you two are different, but for my sake, can you get along? Or at the very least, TRY?"

Hermione looked up at Harry. For his sake, she would try and get along with Ron, even though she couldn't bear the thought of spending any time with him. "I'll try, if he will."

"Fine," Ron agreed a bit quickly. "Can we get to class already?"

"Yes," Harry said walking ahead of them.

Hermione hurried to walk next to him. "You should really watch your anger," she said softly.

"He insulted you," Harry said not looking at her.

"He does it all the time," Hermione answered, touching his arm. "I just ignore him."

"Well, I don't like it," Harry said stopping to look at her. Ron walked ahead not really wanting to witness this sort of thing.

Hermione smiled at him. "I do have to admit its rather nice having someone stand up for me."

Harry shook his head and laughed. "You and Ron?"

"It really wasn't anything," Hermione replied, pushing his shoulder.

"Better not be," Harry said snaking his arms around her waist.

Hermione felt a thrill as he pulled her close. "We're going to be late..."

"I don't care," Harry said nipping at her bottom lip. "And I don't think you do either."

"Not really..." she admitted, leaning in.

Harry pressed his lips to hers, not caring that all around them students were hurrying to their classes.

Her arms worked their way up, her fingers sliding into his hair.

"Come on you two," Ron called out to them. "Flitwick's about to shut the door!"

Hermione pulled back. "Come on..." she pulled on his hand.

"Only you could get me to go in there," Harry grumbled.

"If you promise to make it up to me later, I'll take notes for you," she whispered.

"Deal," Harry whispered back.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Neville was sitting at one of the tables in the common room working on a Charms essay while surreptitiously looking over at Ginny, who was seated on the sofa talking with her friends.

He'd thought that the package would have arrived earlier and he prayed that Ginny would like what he'd bought. She'd admired that royal blue set of dress robes in that magazine and he'd snuck off and purchased them for her last weekend in Hogsmeade. It had taken up all of his monthly allowance but he didn't care. Ginny was worth it.

At that very moment, the voice of one of her friends carried over across the room. "Did you find out yet, Ginny? Those robes had to be from Dean, don't you think? Maybe he wanted to get back together with you."

Ginny shook her head. "There wasn't a card."

"You look totally gorgeous in them," Natalie chimed in.

"Thanks," Ginny blushed.

"Oooh!" Margo Stanford exclaimed suddenly. "What if they're from Harry? Maybe he wants to get back together with you!"

Neville sighed. It seemed as if his name would never come up. He'd thought perhaps after their date in Hogsmeade, she might be interested in more but they'd hardly had a chance to talk since then.

"You two made such a great couple," Natalie gushed.

Ginny shrugged modestly, but she blushed.

Neville shut his books. "I'll see you guys later..."

"Where are you going?" Seamus asked.

"For a walk," Neville replied tersely.

"You shouldn't go alone," Seamus said earning a death glare in response.

"I'll be fine," Neville said shortly.

Ginny looked up to see Neville stalking out of the common room and she remembered how she'd been looking at that same set of robes when Neville had asked her out. "I-I'll be right back," she told her friends before hurrying out after Neville.

Neville decided to go to the library to finish his essay when he heard a female voice call out his name. For a moment he thought it was Hermione but to his surprise, Ginny was coming towards him.

"Hi," Ginny said smiling nervously at him.

"Hi," Neville said, his tone a bit cooler than he intended.

"Where are you running off to?" Ginny asked.

"Library," Neville replied.

"Oh," Ginny said, wondering why he was being so distant. Unless, he'd heard what Natalie and Margo had said about Harry.

"Look I've got to go," Neville started away. "You shouldn't be out of the dormitory alone."

"I-I was actually heading for the library too," Ginny lied. "Would it be okay if I walked with you?"

Neville shrugged. "It's fine."

"Okay," Ginny said smiling at him.

But he didn't seem to be in any mood to talk. Every attempt she made to engage him in conversation, he cut off with one or two word answers.

"Thank you," Ginny finally said.

"What?" Neville asked.

"For the robes," Ginny said reaching for his hand. "They're beautiful."

Neville stared at her for a moment. "But back in the common room... you... your friends..."

"I didn't know you heard that until I saw you leave," Ginny said. "And then I thought....well I remembered how you'd seen me admiring them in that magazine."

Neville turned red and looked away. "Well... you really liked them so..." he mumbled, reverting back to his shy ways.

"That's the nicest gift anyone's ever given me," Ginny said softly.

"I'm glad you like them," Neville said.

"I loved them," Ginny said leaning in and pecking him on the cheek.

Neville blushed even harder. "I'm glad..." he said, his former misgivings now giving way to a stomach full of butterflies.

"You've always been so nice to me," Ginny said still holding his hand.

Neville decided to be a bit bolder for once in his life. "I've always liked you."

This time it was Ginny's turn to blush. "And I guess I was too busy trying to get Harry to notice me and I missed something that was there all this time."

"He's... he's with Hermione now," Neville said.

"It doesn't bother me as much as it used to," Ginny said looking at him.

"That's... that's good," Neville replied.

Ginny stepped closer. "I think so, too."

Neville swallowed as he realised how close they were standing. "So... um... if I was to ask you to go with me to the next Hogsmeade weekend... would you want to go?"

Ginny had a feeling that Neville wouldn't make the first move and she leaned in and pressed her lips gently to his.

The word shock couldn't even begin to describe what Neville was feeling at that moment.

"My answer is yes," Ginny whispered when they pulled apart.

"Really?" he asked hopefully. "It's not... too much, or too soon?"

Ginny giggled. "No, I think it's just about right, Neville."

"Okay," he said with a grin. "It's a date."

"Are you really going to the library?" Ginny asked.

"I wasn't planning on it until I got out here," Neville said sheepishly.

"I was going to suggest that I show you what my robes look like," Ginny said grinning at him. "But I'd rather show you at the Yule Ball, that is ...if you don't have a date already, that is. I know it's still a way's off..."

"I don't have a date," Neville replied.

"I don't have a date either," Ginny said. "So, we could...you know...go together..."

"Yeah," Neville said immediately. "I'd love to go."

"Great," Ginny said linking her hand in his.

"I'm really glad you like the robes," Neville said shyly.

"They're gorgeous," Ginny gushed. "It must have cost you a fortune..."

He didn't want to mention just how much they'd cost. "I just wanted you to have them," he fiddled with his robes with his free hand.

Ginny beamed at him. "Thank you."

Neville smiled back and pushed his luck by pulling her close and kissing her again.

Ginny was taken by surprise by his actions, but she quickly got over it and returned his kiss. He wasn't bad at this, not at all.

"Mmm..." she said when they pulled apart. "I like doing this with you."

"Me too," Neville said with a goofy grin.

"Come on," she tugged his hand. "You don't need the library."

"No, I suppose not," Neville said following her.

"I can't wait to tell my friends that you were the one who sent me the robes," Ginny added.

"They probably won't be as impressed as they were when they thought it was Harry," Neville said thoughtfully.

"I don't care," Ginny answered.

Neville smiled at her. "Really?"

"I really, really don't care." Ginny said. "If a guy likes me that much, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks."

"I do like you that much," Neville said squeezing her hand.

Ginny was about to reply when a loud snigger was heard. "You can't be serious," Malfoy sneered. "Weasel and Longbottom?"

"My name is Ginny Weasley, not Weasel," Ginny hissed at him. "You Ferret."

"That one hurt," Malfoy said sarcastically.

"Leave us alone, Malfoy," Neville said quietly.

"What are you going to do if I don't?" Malfoy asked with a nasty grin.

"Don't you have some first years to terrorise?" Ginny asked him. "Come on, Neville. He's not worth it."

Neville glared at the blond Slytherin, wanting to punch his face in. "Fine..." he answered, turning away with Ginny.

Malfoy snickered. "Run along, ladies."

"Fuck off Malfoy," Ginny whipped out her wand. "Or I'll cast my Bat Bogey Hex on you!"

"Oh aren't you just perfect with your stupid hex," Malfoy sneered.

Ginny aimed her wand at him and was about to say the spell when Neville beat her to it.

Draco's face was masked in shock as the curse hit him.

"Way to go Neville," Ginny said proudly.

Neville glared down at Draco. "Just leave us alone," he stated coldly.

Malfoy didn't say anything as he shakily got to his feet and stumbled back downstairs.

"That was amazing!" Ginny exclaimed wrapping her arms around him.

"I can't believe I did that..." Neville said, laughing in relief.

"I always knew you had it in you," Ginny said proudly. "And you are a Gryffindor, Neville."

"Guess I'm a little braver than I thought," he grinned at her.

Ginny gave him another kiss before they headed back into the common room.

Ron saw his sister come inside hand in hand with Neville and made a beeline for her.

"Hiya, Ron," Ginny said excitedly. "You will not believe that just---"

"What the hell were you doing leaving the common room by yourself?" Ron barked at her. "Bloody hell, don't you know there's some psycho out there hexing people?"

"I wasn't alone," Ginny said grinning sideways at Neville. "I was with Neville and he was with me."

"You left alone," Ron snapped.

"Ease up, Ron," Ginny said shaking her head. "I was just going to catch up to Neville. And I promise you I will not go anywhere by myself."

Ron softened as he looked at his friend. "You'll watch out for her?"

"Of course," Neville promised.

"We're going to be dating now," Ginny told her brother. "And I won't have you doing the overprotective brother routine to him, Ronald Weasley."

"So this means you're over Harry?" Ron asked. "What about... what about Dean?"

"Yes, I'm over Harry," Ginny said. "And I'll always care about Dean, but we'd broken up, Ron."

Ron nodded. "Just be careful out there. You're my only sister Gin. I don't want anything to happen to you."

Ginny gave him a hug. "You be careful, too. I kind of like having you around."

"Say um... did you see Luna at all today?" Ron asked.

Ginny nodded. "She's serving detention tonight with Binns. She fell asleep in class again."

"She shouldn't have to walk back alone," Ron began hurrying towards the door. "I'll go find her..."

"And you shouldn't go out alone," Ginny lectured.

"I'm a prefect," Ron tossed over his shoulder.

Ginny shook her head. "You're a lunatic, Ron!"

"You're jealous," Ron shot back before ducking out the door.

Ron ran downstairs hoping that he'd catch Luna before she left. He'd been thinking about her all day.

His steps were quick as he headed for Professor Binn's class. It was unusual for Binns to hand out detention and he wondered just how often Luna was falling asleep.

"Miss Lovegood," he heard the professor lecturing. "I trust that you realise the value of a good night's sleep."

"Yes sir," Luna said dutifully. "I promise it's not going to happen again. I guess I've been pushing myself too hard."

"I expect you to be in class on time and awake tomorrow," Binns concluded.

"I will be, sir," Luna said stifling a yawn.

"Now, I will make sure that you get back to your dormitory," Binns said.

"I can do it," Ron chimed in from the doorway.

"Thank you Mr. Weasley," Binns floated up from his desk.

"Good evening, Professor," Luna said collecting her books.

"Good night, Miss Lovegood," Binns waved them out.

Luna slung her bag over her shoulder and grinned at Ron. "This is a pleasant surprise," she said to him.

"Well..." he stammered. "I... I didn't want you to walk back alone, not with everything that's going on..."

"Thank you," Luna said softly.

He took her bag and put it over his shoulder. "So you fell asleep again? Studying more Divination were you?"

"Um, all my classes, really," Luna said. "I just want to do well is all."

Ron nodded. "Say um... in a few weekends there's another Hogsmeade visit."

Luna smiled to herself. "Yes, I saw that."

"Well then... doyouwanttogowithme?" Ron asked very quickly.

"You want to run that past me one more time?" Luna asked with a laugh. "I missed that."

Ron exhaled nervously. "Want to go with me?"

"I think I need time to think about it," Luna said trying to keep a straight face.

"Oh," Ron said, visibly let down. "I... understand..."

"Yes," Luna said grinning at him.

"Maybe some other-- wait what?" Ron looked at her.

Luna giggled. "I thought about it and my answer is yes."

Ron grinned. "You're pretty sneaky."

"I just like watching you squirm," Luna said reaching for his hand.

Ron only shook his head, but squeezed her hand. This felt so different than being with Lavender. For one thing, he didn't necessarily feel like he was being false. Luna liked him for who he was.

"How've you been?" Luna asked.

"Busy," Ron replied.

"That's right," Luna said excitedly. "You have that big match coming up this weekend!"

"Against Slytherin," Ron nodded. "So you can imagine how tense practises are. I'm just glad we finally got Harry out there again."

"I've no doubt you'll be fantastic," Luna said dreamily, humming a few bars of "Weasley is Our King".

"That bloody song," Ron groaned.

"Malfoy's version wasn't very original, but I love the lyrics I came up with," Luna said continuing to hum it.

"You came up with lyrics?" Ron asked.

Luna nodded. "I've never told anyone that."

"Can I hear them?" Ron asked interestedly.

"I don't think so," Luna said softly.

"Why not?"

"I'm not that great of a singer," Luna admitted.

"That's okay," Ron answered.

"You promise you won't laugh?" Luna asked him seriously.

Ron held up his free hand. "I promise."

Luna looked over her shoulder to make sure no one was around before she started to sing her version of the song. "Weasley is our King," she began. "He never lets the Quaffle in, Weasley is my king."

"That's---"

Luna held up her hand. "I'm not finished yet..."

"Sorry..." Ron turned red.

"Weasley can save anything," Luna sang. "When I see him fly, it makes my heart sing. Weasley is my king......"

Ron stared at her as she finished.

Luna blushed. "I told you I couldn't sing..."

Ron only shook his head before pulling her to him abruptly and crashing his lips down on hers.

Luna kissed him back just as fervently. She couldn't believe this was actually happening.

Ron pulled out the quill that was holding her hair up and let his fingers run down the length of her strands.

"Mmmm," Luna murmured. "Ronald..."

"Luna..." he muttered.

"Yeah?" Luna asked dreamily.

"You're amazing at this..." he said softly.

"I haven't had that much practise," Luna admitted.

"You don't need it," he tucked her hair behind her ear.

Luna smiled up at him. "I never thought this would happen.'

"Me either," he sent her a shameful smile. "I guess I was sort of too involved with Lavender to see you."

"That doesn't matter now," Luna said after he kissed her once more.

"Right," Ron was still holding her close.

"Ronald?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"We should probably start for the dorms," Luna said though neither of them moved.

"I guess so..." he said reluctantly.

"Oh no!" Luna said touching her chest. "My necklace!"

"What?" Ron looked at her strangely. "What necklace?"

"My cork necklace," Luna explained. "I know I had it on when I left for detention and now it's gone!"

"Oh..." Ron looked around. "I don't see it anywhere..."

Luna looked stricken as she watched Ron looking for her necklace. "I-I'm sorry, but I have to go..."

"Wait!" Ron called. "Luna!"

"I'll see you tomorrow!" Luna called out before racing upstairs.

"But I'm supposed to walk you back!" Ron shouted after her.

"Go back to your dorm, Ronald!" Luna pleaded with him.

Ron was completely flabbergasted. After things had been going so well- she'd just run off.

As if things couldn't get worse, he nearly bumped into Hermione when he turned the corner. "Ron, you're supposed to be on rounds..."

"I am," he countered. "I was walking Luna Lovegood back to her dorm."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Sorry..."

"Where's Harry?" he asked.

"I-I don't know," Hermione lied, not wanting to give away the fact that Harry was hiding underneath his Invisibility Cloak.

"You know, I don't appreciate you telling him I stuck my tongue down your throat," Ron said deciding to take his anger and frustration out on Hermione. "If I remember, it was you that approached me..."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "This is not the time or the place for this discussion."

"Well, for Harry's sake, I hope your technique has improved," Ron scoffed.

"Would you please just finish your rounds?" Hermione asked, crossing her arms. "I don't think that's too much to ask."

"Fine," Ron grumbled. "You know you sure are bossy..."

"If that's what it takes to keep you in line," Hermione said sharply.

"I'm going," Ron said before stalking away.

Harry pulled off the cloak. "What's wrong with him?"

Hermione shrugged. "He's impossible..."

"For the record, your technique definitely has improved," Harry said softly.

Hermione nudged him. "It helps when you care about the person you're kissing."

"I suppose it does," Harry reigned in his hormones. "We should keep going."

"Did you hear back from Sirius yet?" Hermione asked as they continued down the corridor.

"No," Harry answered. "I'm sure he'll send me an owl back by tomorrow."

"This is so frustrating," Hermione said. "I keep looking for some sort of pattern and I can't seem to find one. The only thing that comes close to a pattern is the fact that no Slytherins have been attacked so far."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed. He'd thrown the cloak back over himself but stayed no more than two steps behind Hermione.

Hermione stepped on something and she knelt down to see what it was. "It's some sort of...necklace..."

Harry bent down and retrieved it. "It's a bunch of corks..."

"Luna," Hermione said. "She's the only one I know who would wear one."

"I guess she dropped it when she was walking around during school hours," Harry handed it to Hermione who stuffed it in her pocket.

"I'll give it back to her tomorrow in the Great Hall," Hermione said.

"Let's head over that way," Harry pointed to a darkened corridor. "I'll let you wear the cloak."

Hermione was more than a little wary about going down another darkened corridor, given what had happened the last time they'd done that. "Um, okay..."

"This time nothing will happen to you," Harry said handing the cloak to her.

It was a promise he couldn't make, but she appreciated the gesture just the same. Hermione draped the cloak over herself.

"I'll go first," Harry said. "Just don't stay more than two steps behind me."

"Okay," Hermione said quietly, doing just as he asked.

Harry had his wand out and ready as they moved slowly into the darkened area.

Hermione could hear her heart beating fast while she followed Harry. She tried to summon her Gryffindor courage.

Harry felt her grasp his hand from underneath the cloak. "Nothing here..." he whispered.

"C-can we get out of here?" Hermione stammered.

"Yeah..." Harry began backing out. "There's nothing here."

Hermione practically ran back into the lighted corridor. She pulled the cloak off of her and tried to catch her breath.

Harry followed her out a moment later. "Hey," he said, reaching out for her. "Are you all right?"

Hermione nodded. "It was just a bit too much."

"It's all right," he wrapped his arms around her.

Hermione rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Harry felt extremely protective of her in that moment.

"I thought I was over it," Hermione said softly.

"Sometimes it takes awhile," Harry said. "Something like that happened to me when I was about fourteen. I was on my first case with Sirius and it plagued me for months. You'll be all right soon."

Hermione looked at him. "What happened?"

"We were after this guy... we were tracking him and he grabbed me. I thought I was done for when Sirius managed to tackle him down." Harry shrugged.

"I can't imagine that happening to you," Hermione said wiping at her eyes. "You're the bravest person I've ever met."

"I'm not that brave," he sent her a crooked smile.

"You are," Hermione said smiling up at him. "Harry, I can't tell you what it meant to me the other night...I wouldn't have made it through without you."

He tucked her hair behind her ear and felt another feeling inside of him- this one was far more insistent than just being protective.

"No matter what happens," she whispered. "I wanted you to know that."

He nodded. "Let's do a few more corridors then call it a night."

"Harry?"

"Yeah?" he asked her.

"W-would it be okay if...well, if I stayed with you again tonight?" she asked tentatively.

"Um... sure..." he said. "Can girls even get up in the guy's dorms?"

"Lavender used to sneak in with Ron all the time," Hermione told him.

"I prefer not knowing about that," Harry said with a grin.

"I used to lecture her about it," Hermione said shaking her head. "Now I'm a hypocrite."

Harry smirked knowingly at her.

Hermione kissed him. "I just want to be close to you tonight."

"We can arrange that," Harry said huskily.

Hermione held up his cloak. "I can use this to sneak in. And I'm sure you know a silencing charm, right?"

"One of the first things I learned," Harry nodded.

Hermione took his hand and together they set off to check one last corridor not noticing that the cloaked figure was watching them from behind one of the stone pillars.

"Soon..." the figure choked out in a raspy voice.