Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

What a great response you guys had to chapter one! We were both thrilled you guys like this story so far! If you're confused about things that are going on- please head over to the community coolman created- it's mainly for Last Dance but there's an open discussion on here and we've explained a few things that you guys might want to know.

Here's chapter two- please let us know what you think!!

"Of course," she said impatiently.

"Whoa," Harry said, his eyes still large. He had no idea that all this had been hiding under the mousy brunette he'd met earlier today.

Hermione gave him a disgusted look. "Listen," she said. "I'm here talking to Viktor Krum. The last letter I got from the Ministry said he might know something about the attacks at the school."

"Viktor Krum?" Harry asked finally focusing on what she was saying. "How would he---"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," Hermione replied.

"And you had to dress up like this to see him?" Harry asked finally getting the picture. "Look, we're not going to turn this investigation into your personal dating service.."

"Oh shut up," Hermione shoved him back. "You blokes have one thing on your mind, don't you?"

"Hey!" Harry retorted.

"Hermy-own-ninny," Viktor Krum said tapping her on the shoulder. Harry felt an instant dislike for the tall, dark Bulgarian who had put an arm possessively around Hermione. "Is this person bothering you?"

"No," Hermione turned, her facial expression changing instantly. "It's just fine, Viktor."

Harry resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Krum, Hermione and I were in the middle of something--"

"So were we," Viktor glared back at him.

"Come along, Viktor," Hermione cooed.

Viktor grinned at her. "Of course, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I'll catch up to you later, Harry," Hermione said over her shoulder.

Harry didn't say a word, just watched her leave. He couldn't keep his eyes from roaming up and down her body.

Hermione settled in beside Viktor who looked expectantly at her. She wasn't about to drink something that she'd not seen prepared and she wouldn't put anything past Krum. "I'm so glad you agreed to see me tonight," she drawled.

"Of course," he said. "A woman as lovely as yourself should not be alone at night."

Hermione gave him her most flirtatious smile. "Well, thanks to you, I'm not alone..."

Viktor grinned back. "You must be very good to sneak out of that castle."

"You'd be surprised at how good I can be," Hermione said softly.

"I can imagine," he said. "I got you this," he pushed a steaming mug towards her.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"It's a special drink," he said, his eyes glowing a bit. "You will like it, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I'm not really thirsty right now," Hermione said pushing the mug away. "Maybe later."

Viktor seemed slightly disappointed but he sat back, still staring at her intensely.

"What's Potter doing here?" Viktor asked.

Hermione shrugged. "Couldn't tell you," she said as if she didn't care.

"He's staring at us," Viktor said pulling Hermione even closer.

"Don't let him bother you," Hermione said in a low voice, widening her eyes.

"Okay," Viktor said nuzzling her neck.

"Viktor, I-I'm just so scared about what's been going on at Hogwarts," Hermione said wishing she could get him to stop what he was doing.

"Why is that?" he asked, pressing his lips to her skin.

"All those attacks?" Hermione asked, letting her voice tremble just a bit. "What if it's me next?"

"Nothing bad will happen to you," Viktor whispered in her ear.

"How do you know that for sure?" Hermione asked.

"I just do," Viktor said pulling away to look at her. "Nothing, nothing will happen to you, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I just wish I knew that for sure," Hermione looked down, letting her lower lip tremble. "Padma was a good friend to me and look what happened to her..."

"She was foolish," Viktor said. "And you're not."

He put his arm around her. "Don't worry, my sweet."

"Viktor--" Hermione began.

"Shh," he said pulling her into his lap.

Harry slammed his drink down on the bar. This wanker was really pushing it.

"I just can't help but be frightened though," she said, pushing back just a bit.

"I've told you, it's going to be okay," Viktor said his eyes darkening. "Trust me, Hermy-own-ninny."

"How do you know it's going to be okay?" Hermione was growing frustrated.

"Just a---what do you say---hunch, I have," Viktor said going in for another kiss, but Hermione shoved him away. He tightened his grip on her arm. "Don't tease me, Hermy-own-ninny."

"I'm not teasing anyone," she said snappishly.

"Yes you are," Viktor said. "Many girls would like to be where you are, Hermy-own-ninny."

"Why do you say you have a hunch I won't get hurt?" Hermione asked, softening her tone again and curving her fingers under her chin. "Do you know something I don't?"

"I've heard some things in my travels," Viktor replied. "And as long as you keep away from things that don't concern you, I'm sure you're going to be just fine."

"Well I do have quite an inquisitive mind," Hermione trailed her fingers over his chest.

"What is it they say about curiosity?" Viktor asked grinning at her.

"Yes but I'm not a cat," she said in a teasing tone.

Viktor chuckled. "No, you're not. You're all woman."

"And don't you forget it," Hermione replied. "Now come on, I can't help but be intrigued by how you know so much. I love a smart guy."

Viktor Krum wasn't immune to flattery and he told her about some of the rumours he'd heard. "I do know that it's not any of Karkaroff's old contacts. Most of them are in prison or dead now."

"I see," she replied. "It's just so scary up there. I wish I had a big strong guy to protect me..."

"It's too bad that I'm not a student at Hogwarts," Viktor said before kissing her hard on the lips, all under the watchful eye of Harry.

Hermione forced herself not to shudder in disgust. It wasn't that Viktor Krum was bad looking, he just wasn't her type of guy.

Harry crossed the room and tapped Hermione on the shoulder. "Hermione..."

"What?" Hermione asked pretending to be cross with him for breaking up her and Viktor, but she was beyond happy to see him. She'd never tell him this though.

"We should get back," he smiled tightly at her.

"Right," Hermione said nodding. "Right..."

"You don't have to go with him," Viktor grabbed her arm again.

"Yes she does," Harry said tersely. "Let go of her, Krum."

"Just because you--" Viktor began hotly but Hermione pushed them apart.

"Come on boys, you don't need to fight over me," she smiled flirtatiously at Viktor. "I'll see you again soon."

Viktor smiled back at her and gave her one last kiss before he let her go. "Good night, Hermy---"

Harry yanked on her arm and practically pulled her out of the pub.

"You're hurting me!" Hermione hissed.

"What the HELL was that in there?" Harry snapped.

Hermione shivered in the cold night air. "Why don't you tell me what you think it was and I'll tell you what it really was, Potter."

Harry glared at her. "You think you're in charge of this don't you?"

"We're supposed to be partners," Hermione retorted.

"Then you clear things with ME before doing them," Harry said. He noticed she was visibly shaking from being cold and he pulled his cloak off. "Here."

Hermione's first instinct was to decline, but she was freezing. "Thank you," she said taking the cloak from him.

He was sorry to see her body swallowed up by his cloak as she slid it on. "I have to say though," he shook his head. "You are damn fine, Granger."

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Why do you cover yourself up with those awful clothes during the day?" Harry asked.

"It's the uniform," Hermione replied curtly.

"You don't have to wear one that's twice your size," he said bluntly.

This entire line of questioning was making her completely uncomfortable and she started for Honeydukes. "I don't see why what I wear should concern you."

"I was paying you a compliment you know," Harry said tersely.

"I'd much rather be appreciated for my mind," Hermione said quietly. "Who I was tonight isn't who I am really."

"That's a shame," Harry said, eyeing her legs as she walked quickly. "Because the woman I saw tonight in there... she was what a partner should be."

"Which is?" Hermione asked stopping in her tracks.

"Hot," Harry said, coming close to her. "Sexy... willing to do what it takes to get what she needs."

"You think I'm---" Hermione started to say.

"All I'm saying is half the guys in my dormitory would die if they saw you like this," Harry smirked.

"And you?" Hermione asked trying to keep her voice normal.

"I've seen plenty of women like this," Harry pushed his cloak aside so he could look at her again.

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked as he circled around her. There was something about the look in his eyes that had her on edge. It'd been the same look Viktor had worn earlier, but unlike with Viktor, she was affected by the way Harry was looking at her.

"I can appreciate a beautiful woman when I see one," Harry's breath came hot on her ear.

"Funny how you didn't think that this afternoon when you met me," Hermione said closing her eyes. She was glad he couldn't see how flushed her cheeks were.

"I wonder if that's the Hermione putting on an act," Harry knew how much he was affecting her and he enjoyed it.

"Y-you don't even know me," Hermione said. Every instinct told her to start walking, but she couldn't move.

"I know all I need to know..." Harry's hands came up on her shoulders.

"What are you playing at?" Hermione asked turning her head to look at him.

"Why, is it working?" he asked with a grin.

"It most certainly isn't," Hermione lied.

"Sure it isn't," Harry smirked and backed away. "So tell me Granger, what did you find out?"

"About what?" Hermione asked dazedly.

Harry looked at her impatiently. "About the attacks."

"Oh," Hermione said cursing herself. "Um, Viktor said that I shouldn't be afraid as long as I kept out of things that didn't concern me. I tried to press him on that, but the only thing he really told me was that Karkaroff wasn't involved."

"Well there's a great help," Harry said sarcastically.

"He was more interested in pawing at me than giving me information," Hermione begrudgingly admitted.

"I wonder why," Harry said, reaching over into the pocket of the cloak she was wearing. "Here, get under this with me."

"What?" Hermione asked in a high voice.

"It's an invisibility cloak," Harry said. "We have to get under this together so no one spots us going down into the cellar."

"Oh," Hermione said with a nervous laugh. "Right."

"Well come on," he said impatiently.

Hermione crept underneath the cloak with him and her pulse quickened at the close proximity.

Harry would never have admitted it, but her nearness was making his palms sweat. "Just try not to bump into anyone or anything," he whispered, his lips touching her ear.

Hermione nodded, but this was easier said than done. The sidewalks were still quite crowded.

Their bodies were pressed together and Harry was finding it very difficult to mask the fact that he was getting completely turned on at the moment. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.

They made their way through the crowds and finally reached the backdoor to Honeyduke's. Hermione turned to get a look at Harry and felt her breath catch in her throat.

"Why did you stop?" he asked.

"My feet hurt," Hermione covered. "The shoes."

He looked at her hard for a moment. "Right," Harry finally said. "Well the sooner we can get back, the sooner you can take them off."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed.

"You walk in front of me," he put his hands on her waist. "Just head to the back and try not to stop."

Hermione did as she was told. This entire evening had been too bizarre and she was eager to get it over with...or at least that's what she told herself.

"Just back there," he said, his lips once again close to her ear.

Hermione found the cellar door. The steps would be hard to navigate in her shoes.

She stumbled on the first step, nearly pulling down Harry with her. "Sorry!" she whispered.

"It's okay," he whispered back, steadying her.

She had expected him to snap at her but instead he was being nice by holding her arm as they descended slowly. "I hate these boots," she said.

"That's something I've never understood about girls," Harry whispered. "Why you'll wear shoes that hurt just because they look good."

"It does the job," she said with a shrug.

"You have no idea," Harry said under his breath.

"What?" Hermione turned to look at him. In the process she stumbled over the last step and Harry caught her.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yeah..." she managed. "Th-thanks for catching me."

He held her in his arms, not ready to let go just yet. "There's something I need to do and I think it'll solve our problem.."

"What?" she asked, her eyes growing wide. "What are you talking about?"

"This," Harry said leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

Hermione's eyes nearly popped out before she closed them and kissed him back.

His arms snaked around her waist, pulling her even closer.

I shouldn't be doing this, Hermione thought but was unable to pull away. Harry Potter was infuriating but he certainly knew how to kiss.

"Hermione," he whispered when they pulled apart.

"Yeah?" she asked, her fingers moving up into his hair.

He was going to tell her that he'd overstepped his bounds and that what had just happened couldn't ever happen again, but he just shook his head before kissing her again. He wanted to take her right here.

She felt his hands push the cloak off and start to roam down her body. His touch felt like fire.

He planted kisses along her neckline and pulled down the strap of her dress.

"W-wait," Hermione said finally summoning every ounce of willpower she had.

"What?" he asked, pulling back.

"Not this," she said, pulling the cloak back on. "Not here..."

"I know I can't get in your room, but maybe you could--" Harry started to argue.

"No," she said, stepping back. "Harry despite what I'm dressed like tonight I am not that type of girl."

"I never said you were," Harry said.

"Then why did you kiss me?" she asked. "You couldn't have been more repulsed at my appearance earlier today. That all changed when you saw me like this tonight."

This was a loaded question and he knew that no matter how he answered it, she'd probably take it the wrong way. "I'm a bloke, Hermione. Seeing you like this did something to me, okay? And need I remind you that you kissed me back?"

"That's not the point here," Hermione was starting to get angry.

Harry sighed. "Can we just get back to the castle? I'm knackered."

She scoffed. "Fine."

They walked the rest of the way back to the castle in silence. Harry finally spoke when they were safely back in the common room.

"I'm not going to apologise for kissing you," Harry said to her.

Hermione didn't answer him; only handed him his cloak back silently.

"But we'll put what happened tonight behind us and just get the job done," Harry said. "If that's what you want."

"It's what I want," Hermione still wouldn't look at him.

"Good night then," Harry said abruptly stalking up the stairs without looking back at her.

Hermione sat down on the arm of one of the sofas, rubbing her temples. Why had he kissed her and why on earth had she kissed him back?

Upstairs, Harry quickly changed out of his clothes and into his pyjamas wondering again why he'd been so foolish to jeopardize the investigation as he had tonight. He had told the truth before. He wasn't sorry that he'd kissed her. He just wished it had been under different circumstances.

*** *** ***

Harry awoke the next morning in a completely foul mood. He'd had a very erotic dream about his new partner, which certainly didn't help matters. To top that off, he'd snapped at Dean and Seamus who were in awfully good moods, the smug bastards.

Walking toward the Great Hall, Harry felt a sense of foreboding. But then again, she'd be dressed in her uniform and that shouldn't affect him, he tried to tell himself.

To his great relief, she wasn't in the Great Hall. He took his seat across from Ron and a red-haired girl who beamed at him as he sat down.

"Morning," Ron muttered.

"Hi," Harry grumbled back.

"Hello, Harry," the red-haired girl said handing him the platter of waffles.

"Uh, hi." he answered, cursing silently. He had no idea who this girl was.

"Ginny, are you wearing that shite perfume again?" Ron asked his nose scrunching up in disgust. "I hate that crap."

"I'm not wearing it for you," Ginny said with a meaningful look at Harry.

"I'm pretty sure Dean doesn't like it either," Ron said before shovelling a mouthful of waffle into his mouth.

"He doesn't have to," Ginny replied, turning back to look at Harry again.

"Are you staring at me for a reason?" Harry asked in annoyance.

Ginny turned bright red. "Um I didn't mean to be... it's just that... the other day you said--"

Harry was distracted from the redhead as Hermione appeared in the doorway to the Great Hall. Once again she looked mousy and boring, but now he found it impossible to concentrate on anything other than what was under those loose robes she wore.

Hermione was going to take a seat further down the table, but as usual Ron Weasley spoiled things.

"Oi! Hermione," Ron called out. "Do you have the notes from yesterday's Charms lecture?"

"Of course I do," she answered. "But I'm not lending them to you, Ron. You'll just lose them again."

"They're not for me, they're for Harry," Ron said knowing that the brunette had always had a soft spot where Harry was concerned. "He missed the class yesterday."

Hermione gave them both a cool glance. "That's too bad for him then, isn't it?"

"You can have my notes," Ginny chimed in.

"Ginny, you're not even in our class, let alone our year," Ron said glaring at his sister.

"I was just trying to help," Ginny snapped.

Ron caught the look his sister had been giving Harry and he rolled his eyes. "Ginny---"

"Ease up on her, mate," Harry said.

Ginny blushed. "Thanks Harry," she said softly.

"No problem," Harry said reaching for the bottle of syrup at the same time as Hermione.

Their hands touched and they both jumped back as if on fire. "Take it," Hermione shoved it towards him.

"O-kay," Harry said slowly.

"Morning, Ginny," Dean said pecking her on the cheek before sitting down beside her.

"Hi Dean," Ginny replied softly.

"Did you guys hear?" Dean asked. "There was another attack last night. They just found Ernie Macmillan in the library."

Both Harry and Hermione's heads turned. "WHAT?" they both asked at the same time.

"Ernie's really hot," Ginny said. "Is he going to be okay?"

Dean stared at her. "I don't know..."

Harry got to his feet. "There's something I need to do before class."

"Same here," Hermione abandoned her full plate of food.

They rushed out of the Great Hall. "Which way to the Hospital Wing?" Harry asked her.

"Follow me," she said brusquely.

"Who's this Ernie Macmillan?" Harry asked her.

"He's a Hufflepuff," Hermione answered. "He's nice enough... but he's not a prefect or anything so I'm not sure what he was doing out."

"We'll need to find out," Harry said taking the steps two at a time.

"Right," she hurried. "Take a right up here," Hermione directed.

Harry did as she instructed.

"It's at the end of the hall," Hermione had to hurry to catch up to him.

They heard the sound of raised voices and when Harry opened the door, he saw Dumbledore talking to a man and a woman that he guessed were Ernie's parents.

"You're telling me there's nothing you can do for my son?" the woman said to Dumbledore.

"I am sorry," Dumbledore said gravely. "We are working at keeping the students safe by keeping them in their houses when not in class--"

"That's not good enough," Ernie's father said angrily.

"I have my potions master working on a cure," Dumbledore said in the same quiet tone. "And Madam Pomfrey is trying every spell she knows to try and revive our students."

"And what about Aurors?" Mrs. Macmillan asked. "Is someone trying to find out who did this to Ernie?"

"Yes they are," Dumbledore saw the two students in the doorway and excused himself.

"We came as soon as we heard," Hermione said in a hushed tone to the headmaster.

Harry nodded. "We're sorry we didn't prevent it," he said quietly.

Dumbledore shook his head. "There's nothing you could have done, Harry. You just arrived yesterday."

"I should have done something other than try to get information out of Krum," Hermione said regretfully.

"Don't beat yourselves up over this," Dumbledore told them. "Concentrate your efforts on finding out who was behind this. Let me and the other professors find some way to help the students."

Harry and Hermione both nodded as Dumbledore went back to the Macmillans.

Hermione sank down on one of the chairs. Despite what Dumbledore had said, she did hold herself to blame. Ernie wouldn't be in the situation he was in if she hadn't been so eager to interview Viktor and to impress Harry.

Harry looked over at her. "I need you to tell me what you know about everything that's going on."

Hermione nodded. "Where do you want me to begin?"

"When did all this start?" Harry asked. "Who was the first person attacked? How were they found and what sort of person or creature is doing the attacking?"

"The first person attacked was Padma Patil," Hermione told him. "It was during the first couple weeks of school. She was out patrolling the halls and the last people to see her were Ron and Lavender. They found her the next morning near the entrance to Gryffindor Tower."

"Okay," Harry said. "What have you found out about who's doing this?"

"Nothing concrete," Hermione admitted, though she hated to admit her failure.

"Nothing?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You've found out absolutely nothing?"

Hermione glared at him. "I said nothing concrete! I've been trying, but whomever is behind this has covered their tracks very well, Harry."

"Well then we need to step things up quite a bit," Harry said. "I'm not about to have my reputation as an Auror tarnished because of this."

"You know, I'm the top of the year," Hermione said, thinking he needed to hear her accomplishments. She didn't want him to think she was some amateur. "And I was recruited---"

"And I'm the professional here," Harry said in a hard voice. He didn't exactly feel like being nice to her after last night. "And I probably have a better idea on what to do."

"Well, like it or not, you need me," Hermione reminded him. "I know more about Hogwarts than you do and I know the students."

Harry didn't want to admit she was right.

"And I think we'd get a lot further if we worked together instead of you trying to lord over me," Hermione said quietly.

He rolled his eyes. "Then you need to start finding things out."

Hermione sighed. "Fine, Mr. Potter. Yes, sir, Mr. Potter."

"Let's go to the library," Harry said after he glared at her.

She took off after him, choosing to walk slower so she wouldn't have to walk with him.

"Dumbledore said we have to have all our classes together," Harry said. "When's the first one?"

"Twenty minutes from now," Hermione answered. "History of Magic."

"I can't believe I have to go to class," he rolled his eyes. "What a waste of time."

"Out of curiosity," Hermione said. "Why haven't you been at Hogwarts all this time?"

"I've been receiving a finer education," Harry replied with a smirk.

Hermione looked indignantly at him. "There is no finer education than the one you receive at Hogwarts. This is the most prestigious school---"

"Save it," Harry put up a hand. "My godfather has taught me everything I need and want to know."

"Sirius Black, you mean," Hermione said softly.

"The one and only," Harry said with some pride in his voice.

Hermione was going to say something else, but they'd reached the library which was empty save for Madam Pince.

"We only have a few minutes, I guess." Harry glanced at his watch.

Hermione nodded. "Madam Pince? I was wondering if you could tell us where Ernie was found?"

"Miss Granger, you should be in class," the librarian said sternly.

"We saw Ernie's parents in the hospital wing and they asked if we would check to see if any of his belongings were left here," Hermione covered. "It'll only take a few minutes and Professor Dumbledore said it would be okay."

Madam Pince looked at her carefully for a moment. "He was back near the Restricted Section," she finally said.

"Thank you," Hermione said grabbing Harry's arm. "We'll be quick, I promise."

"You're not a bad liar," Harry offered when they were out of earshot.

"Did you just compliment me?" Hermione asked.

Harry didn't answer her, instead he bent down to retrieve something from the floor. "It's a quill," he said.

"That could belong to anyone," Hermione argued.

"Yeah," he answered. "But it's something..."

Hermione walked further along toward the restricted section and knelt down for a better look at the floor.

"See anything?" Harry asked, stuffing the quill in his pocket.

Hermione ran her fingers over the fabric of the carpet. "Harry..."

"What?" he came up and knelt down beside her.

"Soot," Hermione said showing him the black powder on her fingertips.

Harry's eyebrows creased together. "Why would there be soot here?"

"Dunno," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Madam Pince always does cleaning spells when she closes the library each night. There shouldn't be anything here."

Harry nodded. "Perhaps the attacker Floos in from somewhere."

"Do you have anyone who can check the Floo Network to see which connections were active last night?" Hermione asked him.

"I'll talk to Sirius and tell him what we found out," Harry said getting up and offering her his hand to help her up as well.

Hermione looked at him for a moment before finally taking his hand. "Thanks."

He nodded. "We should... get to class then." he said after a moment. "I'll need you to fill me in on anything I should know."

"So, you don't actually know everything then?" Hermione asked with a grin.

Harry glared at her. "I know everything I NEED to know. This is all useless bullshit."

Hermione sighed. "Sorry, I was just trying to make a joke. Excuse me."

Harry felt bad. "I'm sorry," he apologised. "I guess I just really want to prove myself here. This is the first case I've worked on without Sirius and I want it to go well."

Hermione's expression softened. "I want to prove myself too. "

"You want to be an Auror?" he asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied. "Why? Do you not think I can do it?"

"I didn't say that," Harry answered.

"Sorry," Hermione said quickly. "I don't mean to be snappish with you. I didn't sleep very well last night."

"I didn't either," Harry muttered, sneaking a look at her.

"My roommates snore," Hermione said hastily. She didn't want him thinking he had something to do with her lack of sleep.

"So does Ron," Harry said.

"Speaking of Ron, you should be careful around his sister," Hermione told him. "She's got a bit of a crush."

"On who?" Harry asked.

"On you," Hermione said as if the answer should have been obvious.

"Isn't she dating that other guy, um... Dean?" he asked.

"This week," Hermione said sarcastically.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "She's okay looking," he said. "Not really my type. Seems a bit desperate."

Hermione didn't know why this made her feel better. "She is a bit actually."

"She offered me some notes even though she's not in our classes," Harry answered as Hermione led him up the stairs.

"Yes, well she's not exactly known for her brains," Hermione said.

Harry smirked at that.

"I'll warn you that Binns can talk in a bit of a monotone," Hermione said quickening her step. "Ron uses this class to catch up on his sleep."

"Maybe I will too," Harry said, hurrying behind her.

Hermione rolled her eyes and opened the door to the class. They were late but not by much. Binns though was completely focused on his lecture and didn't say anything to them.

"We'll sit here," she whispered, pulling him to a table near the back. "Normally I sit up front but--"

"You can't bear to be away from me," Harry said sitting down beside her. "I get it."

"Ugh," she said. "You have such an ego, you know?"

"It's well-earned," Harry whispered back. He caught Ron's eye who looked quizzically at him.

He shrugged in response and sent him a cocky grin.

Hermione took out her book, parchment and a quill. She tried to focus on Binns and what he was saying, but she was finding it hard to concentrate.

Harry sat back, not caring about taking notes. He leaned his chair so it was balancing on two legs.

He glimpsed surreptitiously at Hermione and for the first time noticed that her uniform seemed to fit her better today.

"What?" she hissed when she caught him looking at her.

"Nothing," he replied.

"Why don't you take some notes then?" she whispered. "It wouldn't kill you to learn something."

"I'm learning something right now," Harry said with a wink.

She narrowed her eyes. "What might that be?"

"You have nice legs, Granger," Harry leaned in and whispered in her ear.

She felt herself turn bright red.

"Just an observation," Harry said softly.

"You shouldn't be doing this," Hermione fought to keep her voice from trembling. "You should be listening to the lecture."

"I'd rather look at your legs," he said boldly. "Is that making you uncomfortable?"

"Yes it is," she whispered quickly.

"Sorry," he said even though he wasn't the least bit apologetic.

"You are not," she bit her lower lip, remembering how his mouth had felt when pressed against hers last night.

"Are too," Harry retorted.

"You are so..." Hermione searched her mind for the right word.

"So...." Harry prodded. He was enjoying this. Maybe classes wouldn't be so useless after all.

"Infuriating?" she suggested. "Arrogant? The world's biggest git?"

Harry laughed. "But you like me despite that, don't you?"

"I most certainly do not," she hissed. "And keep your voice down!"

"Liar," Harry said before leaning back in his chair and closing his eyes.

Hermione looked at him for a moment before shaking her head and going back to her notes, writing furiously across the parchment.

She did notice the smug expression on his face and being the competitive person she was, she figured she'd play his little game. Turning to her side, she crossed her legs and hiked up her skirt a little, but kept her eyes on her piece of parchment.

Harry cracked his eyes open just a bit and bit his lower lip as he saw how her skirt had crawled up.

"Do you mind if I borrow your ink?" Hermione asked not waiting for answer before leaning over him.

"Hey," Harry sat up as she brushed a rather sensitive area of the male anatomy.

"Hello," Hermione said in a husky voice.

"What are you doing?" he stared at her.

"Borrowing your ink," she replied as she dipped her quill into the bottle.

Harry gulped, unaware that he was breathing a bit hard. "You have a whole bottle of your own." he pointed out.

"Oh?" Hermione asked looking over her shoulder. "Yes, I do."

After glaring at her for a moment, Harry leaned back again and closed his eyes until they were only open a crack.

Hermione smiled to herself. Take that, she thought, as she returned her attention to the lecture.

She was playing him like a violin, Harry realised. He untucked his shirt and stretched, arching his back and showing off his abdomen.

Hermione honestly tried not to look, but she couldn't help herself.

Harry suppressed a grin as he saw her sneak a glance at him.

"Arrogant bastard," Hermione whispered.

Harry opened one eye. "You say something?" he asked, running his hands through his hair.

"You know very well that I did," Hermione said gathering up her belongings. She'd never been so happy to see a class come to an end.

"Like you weren't doing the same thing to me?" Harry asked, leaving his shirt untucked. "With your skirt all the way up your thigh?"

"I was giving you a taste of your own medicine," Hermione hissed.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry replied, grinning at a group of girls who blushed and giggled when he walked past.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I'm sure one of them would be only too happy to help you to your next class."

"It's the same class as you right?" Harry asked in a calm tone. "So I'll just follow you."

"Great," Hermione said quietly.

"Hey, wait up!" Ron called out to them.

Harry stopped to let the redhead catch up to them. "Hey where's your necklace?" he cracked.

"Why were you late for class?" Ron asked ignoring Harry's question. "Hermione's never late and I just wonder what sort of thing you had to get upstairs..."

"Oh it was something for class," Harry replied.

"Right," Ron said sarcastically.

"Where's um... Lavender?" Harry asked, quickening his step a bit to catch up to Hermione. He had no idea what or where his next class was and he didn't want to lose her.

"Shite!" Ron exclaimed. "I'll see you both later."

"Don't you have---" Harry asked but Ron had already taken off.

"He doesn't have Ancient Runes, but we do," Hermione said over her shoulder.

"Ancient Runes?" Harry asked with a groan. "What sort of useless classes are you taking?"

"A fair few," Hermione replied. "And they're not useless!"

"What's History of Magic going to do for you?" Harry asked her bluntly.

"I find it fascinating," Hermione said tersely. "And you could learn something too if you'd stop being so obstructive about all of this."

"I already told you," Harry said, walking backwards so he could look at her. "I already know everything I need to know."

"You're infuriating," Hermione said. "And quit walking like that!"

"Why?" Harry asked with a rather appealing grin.

"Why are you baiting me?" Hermione countered.

"Who says I'm baiting you?" Harry asked, still walking backwards.

Hermione had just about had enough and she took his arm and yanked him behind a pillar. "I don't understand you at all. Last night, we agreed that we would put what happened behind us and today, you're...you're..."

"I'm what?" he asked her softly.

"Trying to make me..." Hermione started to say, but he was stepping closer to her which was clouding her mind. "Trying to make me..."

He hadn't thought much of her before he had seen her last night, but today he thought she was even prettier than she had been while all dressed up. Her hair, although wild and untamed, was flattering to her, and she had a tiny smattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose. And her eyes, which Harry had originally thought were a dull, serious brown, were alive and warm as he looked into them.

"Harry," Hermione whispered when he touched her cheek. "This is a mistake."

"No it's not," he answered, not feeling in control for the first time in his life.

She closed her eyes and leaned in for the kiss that she knew was coming.

Harry also found himself leaning in, but stopped just a hair's breath away from her lips.

"Harry?"

He opened his eyes. "Yeah?"

"Nothing," she said before pressing her lips to his. They were late for class, but she could care less right now.