Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Sorry for the late update and for the cliffie last chapter! We hope you enjoy the latest one and to those of you who celebrate it, Happy Easter!

Harry struggled to break free from his bindings. He heard Hermione's screams and he swore that if he ever got his hands on Krum or Lestrange he'd make them pay.

Krum laughed. "Not so tough, eh Potter?"

"A real man wouldn't do something like this," Harry taunted. "You should fight me fair, Krum."

Krum smiled calmly as Hermione screamed louder. "Listen to that," he said as if they were hearing a symphony being played.

"You remind me so much of those Longbottoms," Bellatrix said gleefully as she watched Hermione suffering.

"Please," Hermione said, tears streaming down her face.

"Please," Bellatrix mimicked.

"Harry," Hermione pleaded. "Please!"

Harry watched as Krum looked over his shoulder, concern etched across his face.

"If you care about Hermione, how can you let her do that to her?" Harry asked him.

"This is not about me," Krum said, albeit uncertainly.

Harry managed to wiggle around enough to grip his wand.

"Viktor!" Bellatrix called out. "Why don't you bring our friend around so he can see his love suffer? I would hate for him to miss it..."

Krum used his wand to levitate Harry wordlessly.

"You don't have to do this, Krum," Harry called out. "Why do you have to follow her orders?"

The concern had left Krum's face and he smirked at Harry. "You don't get to ask questions, Potter."

"Hurry, Viktor!" Bellatrix called out. "She's crying and begging for mercy!"

Harry gripped his wand tighter and tried to block out the sounds of Hermione's screams. He had to wait for just the right moment.

Hermione fell to the ground, the pain unbearable. She just wanted it to stop.

Harry waited until Krum levitated him over to where Bellatrix could see him tied up.

"Very good, Viktor." she said approvingly. "Our Master will be proud."

"When will you let her go, Bella?" Viktor asked. The sight of Hermione in pain was almost too much for him to bear.

"When the time is right," Bellatrix said in an icy tone.

Hermione looked pleadingly up at Viktor. "M-make her...m-make her s-stop..."

Once Krum was distracted, Harry freed himself with his wand. He fired a stunning spell at Bellatrix while kicking Krum in the stomach at the same time.

Bellatrix stumbled back and glared at Viktor. "You imbecile! STOP HIM!"

Remembering a move Hermione had used during their little fight, he jammed the heel of his hand into Krum's nose, and knocked him back, rendering him unconscious. He then pointed his wand at Bellatrix. "Take it off her."

"Never," Bellatrix said defiantly.

"Take it off her," Harry pointed his wand directly between her eyes. "Last time I couldn't do it but--"

Bellatrix waved her hand in Hermione's direction and muttered the counter curse. Hermione collapsed into the grass, as the pain ebbed away.

"Signal for help," Harry told Hermione, "Send up sparks. Dumbledore will come."

Hermione nodded and reached for her wand.

"Hermy-own-ninny..." Krum said weakly from the ground. "Didn't mean to--"

Hermione was still a little hazy from the spell, but that didn't stop her from kicking him hard in the stomach. "You son-of-a-bitch!"

Harry would have laughed if he hadn't been holding his wand steadily at Bellatrix. "We really need Dumbledore, Hermione."

Hermione pointed her wand at the sky and sparks shot out of the tip.

"You think Dumbledore will be able to do anything to me?" Bellatrix asked. "Think again, boy. If you and Black couldn't touch me--"

"I've grown up quite a bit since you last saw me," Harry interjected. "I know quite a few more tricks."

Bellatrix smirked at him. "So do I, little boy. So do I..." she pulled her hand out of her pocket and threw some powder in Harry's face.

The powder permeated the air and created a thick fog.

"HARRY!" Hermione called out.

Harry reached blindly for her. "I've got you," he said, hugging her to him.

"What about Viktor and Lestrange?" Hermione asked.

Harry coughed as he pulled Hermione away from the fog. "They're gone. That powder is her infamous getaway."

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked.

"Don't worry about me," Harry said. "Hermione, I'm so sorry she put you under that curse."

"It wasn't your fault," Hermione said reaching for him. "I should have expected it from her, but I wasn't prepared."

"No," Harry shook his head. "Come on, when Dumbledore gets here I'm taking you to the hospital wing."

Hermione opened her mouth to protest, but knew he was right. She had to get checked out.

He could still hear her screams echoing in his head. "I wanted to kill the both of them," he said quietly.

"Me too," Hermione said.

Dumbledore arrived at that moment. "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger..."

"Sir!" Hermione exclaimed. "Bellatrix Lestrange and Viktor Krum were here!"

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "And they escaped?"

"Yes sir," Harry said dejectedly. "She used her fog."

"Are you too okay?" Dumbledore asked.

"She used the Cruciatus Curse on Hermione," Harry said. "For about five minutes."

"I-I'm okay thanks to Harry," Hermione said quietly.

"You should have Madam Pomfrey check you over," Dumbledore said. "I'm very sorry, Miss Granger."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said offering him a weak smile. "Harry---"

"I'll take you up there," Harry moved to her side.

"I'll inform Sirius of what happened here tonight," Dumbledore told them.

Harry and Hermione were silent as they made their way to the hospital wing.

"I am so, so sorry," Harry apologised again. "Bellatrix is ruthless. She's tried to kill Sirius and can't succeed--"

Hermione cut him off. "It wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was," Harry shook his head.

"Harry---"

"Come on," he said. "Can you make it up the stairs?"

"Yeah," Hermione said. "My um...side still hurts a bit..."

"I'll carry you up," Harry effortlessly picked her up in his arms.

Hermione wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. "Will you stay with me tonight?"

Harry nodded. "I wouldn't leave you."

Hermione gave him a kiss. "I love you."

Harry gave her a slight smile. "I love you too."

Madam Pomfrey didn't look too happy to have her sleep interrupted and she huffed and muttered something unintelligible as she examined Hermione.

"Sneaking onto Hogwarts grounds," she muttered. "Those Unforgivable Curses--"

"She's okay, isn't she?" Harry interjected. "No permanent damages?"

"No," Madam Pomfrey said shortly. "She'll be fine, but you young people need to be more careful!"

"I don't have to stay here tonight then?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"I'd like it if you did, but I wouldn't force you to," Madam Pomfrey replied. "My wing is crowded enough as it is." she rummaged in a cupboard. "If you start to feel sore, take this potion."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you, Madam Pomfrey."

"Come on," Harry replied. "Let's head back to the dormitory."

Hermione nodded and leaned on him.

Harry's chest felt heavy as he helped her back to the tower. He knew what he had to do, but he really didn't want to do it. He decided to approach this tomorrow instead of making her feel worse the rest of that night.

"You're so quiet," Hermione commented.

"I just..." Harry shook his head. "Bellatrix could have killed you."

"She didn't," Hermione said softly. She cupped his face in her hands. "Don't blame yourself."

"It's because of me," Harry replied. "Just... let's get back."

Hermione looked into his eyes. "I love you."

Harry felt himself soften. "I know... I love you too."

Hermione squeezed his hand. "So...this holiday you want to take...where do you think we should go?"

Harry wished he could take those words back now. "I... I don't know... it may be awhile before we can go."

"Probably, but it would still be nice to plan," Hermione said. "I've always wanted to go on a cruise."

He nodded and spoke the password as they reached the common room.

Hermione had hoped to get his mind off of what had just happened, but he didn't seem to be taking the bait. "What about you? Is there any where you've always wanted to go?"

"Not really," Harry summoned some blankets and pillows with a wave of his hand. "It's probably a good idea to have you stay down here tonight."

"You'll stay too, right?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I'll stay."

Hermione sat down on the sofa and took off her shoes.

Harry also removed his trainers and sat down next to her. "Do you hurt anywhere?"

"I'm a little sore," Hermione admitted. She smiled slyly at him. "You could kiss me and make it better."

He wanted to- he wanted to quite badly. "You should probably get some rest."

"Don't push me away," Hermione said quietly.

"I already told you I'd stay," Harry said.

Hermione could see what he was doing, but she couldn't understand why.

"We should just go to sleep," Harry looked over at her. "That curse takes a lot out of you."

"Okay," Hermione said scooting over so he could lie down first.

He decided them sleeping next to each other couldn't hurt. He sent her a slight smile.

Hermione cuddled up next to him and she felt better when he put his arm around her. "I love you," Hermione said softly,

Harry pressed his lips to her forehead. "I love you too," he said quietly.

Hermione closed her eyes. "Have you ever been to Jamaica?"

"No," Harry answered.

"Me either," Hermione said thoughtfully. "I have been to the French Riviera with my parents a couple of times."

"It's nice there," he dodged her question.

"I imagine it would be quite different going there with someone that you love," Hermione said cuddling closer. "But I think we should go somewhere that neither of us have ever been."

He wished she would stop bringing it up now. Harry wasn't sure about anything as far as their future was concerned anymore.

Hermione fell asleep thinking of the two of them on some beach happy and carefree.

Harry on the other hand, stayed awake much longer thinking about how he was going to get through the next day... much less what he would do after that without her.

He could still remember the words his trainers had hit on over and over again the past couple of years. An Auror was best off living a life of solitude and not getting too close to anyone. And any one who became too close to him, had a big target on their backs. Tonight was proof positive of that.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I am so sorry about this Hermione. I love you but I can't let anything happen to you."

He didn't sleep very well the entire night. He kept hearing her screams in his head. He kept seeing Bellatrix torturing her and he kept imagining every worst possible scenario.

She woke up a few times during the night, once when he was also awake but she didn't let him know it.

She knew he felt guilty and she wished there was someway she could make him see that he wasn't at fault for Bellatrix and Krum's actions tonight. She wasn't going to let him push her away when they had just found their way together.

*** *** ***

The next morning, Hermione awoke to the sounds of whispers. She blushed when she saw a group of first years standing around and looking at her with wide eyes. To make matters worse, she was alone with no sign of Harry. Wordlessly, she stood up and grabbed her trainers and headed upstairs for her dorm room.

She was still a bit sore from what had happened but a hot shower helped quite a bit. She dried her hair with her wand and got dressed quickly, hoping to catch Harry before they went to breakfast.

"Everything okay, Hermione?" Lavender asked.

Hermione jumped at the sound of her friend's voice. "Fine..." she answered with a weak smile.

"You don't look fine," Lavender commented. "And you didn't sleep in your bed last night. I thought you and Harry had kissed and made up."

"We did," Hermione didn't want Lavender to know exactly what had happened.

"Well, if you need to talk about it, let me know," Lavender offered.

Hermione smiled at her. "Thanks Lavender. I appreciate that."

The two girls headed out of their bedroom and downstairs. There was still no sign of Harry and Hermione would have thought after last night, he would have let her know where he was going. But, she told herself not to overreact. She'd told him she wouldn't let him push her away.

With a deep sigh, Hermione headed down to the Great Hall with Lavender, hoping to find him there.

There was still no sign of him though and she didn't see him in their first class either. She was starting to get worried.

In desperation, she decided before her second class, she'd go up to see Dumbledore. To her immense relief, Harry was there in the office.

Harry avoided looking at her when she came into the room. He was talking to Sirius and didn't even acknowledge her presence. Lupin was the only one to speak to her. "Hermione, we heard about what happened. I'm glad that you're both okay."

"Thank you," Hermione nodded. "Um... I didn't know we were all having a meeting..."

"In light of what happened, we thought it would be best if you continued on in class as usual," Harry said, still not looking at her.

"What?" Hermione looked at him quizzically. "Harry--"

"Why don't you take Lupin down to the greenhouses?" Harry cut her off. "Show him what happened and where...I still have some things to talk about with Sirius."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him and opened her mouth to argue but Lupin took her arm. "I would greatly appreciate it if you could show me," he said.

"Yes, sir," Hermione relented. She led the way out of the office.

Harry watched them go and closed his eyes. This was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do. "So, what I was---"

Sirius held up his hand. "Hang on. You said she didn't want to meet with us today, Harry. And then she shows up and acts surprised that we were meeting at all. Care to explain?"

"Not really," Harry replied sullenly.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Sirius asked, undeterred.

"I'm not going to let her get hurt again," Harry said. "Damn it Sirius, Bellatrix is almost as bad as Voldemort! She'll go after anyone I care about! Or you for that matter!"

"I can take care of myself and I'm pretty sure that Miss Granger can do the same," Sirius said calmly.

"Yeah well she's not going to get hurt on account of me again," Harry said.

"What happened last night wasn't your fault, Harry," Sirius told him.

"Yes it was," Harry answered. "If I wasn't involved with Hermione, Bellatrix would never have targeted her."

"You're pushing her away then?" Sirius asked.

"I'm protecting her," Harry corrected.

"I'm not going to tell you what to do," Sirius said. "If you think this is for the best..."

"It's my only option," Harry interrupted him.

"You need to work together on this case though," Sirius reminded him. "We're so close to breaking it. Don't let your personal life get in the way of this, Harry."

"I won't!" Harry snapped irritably. "We're partners, nothing more."

Sirius nodded. "Well, let's get back to work, then. Bellatrix and Viktor Krum. They must be behind these attacks, but they haven't been able to enter the castle. Which means, there has to be someone working on the inside for them."

"Right," Harry said. "Did you guys find anything out on that amulet?"

"What about the name of that guy we sent you before?"

"I recognised the design on that amulet," Sirius told him. "It belonged to one of my ancestors."

"Your ancestors?" Harry asked.

Sirius pointed to a portrait on Dumbledore's wall. "You remember me telling you about my great-grandfather Phinneas Nigellus Black?"

"Yes," Harry said. "What of it?"

"He gave this amulet to my great-grandmother Ursula on their first wedding anniversary," Sirius explained. "He told her that it was a token of his affection, but in all honesty, it was cursed. Great-granddad suspected that she was cheating on him with his best friend---"

The portrait of Phinneas roared to life. "She was a lying bitch!"

Harry jumped. "Bloody hell!"

"Phinneas---" Sirius said rolling his eyes. "I honestly don't know why Dumbledore allows your portrait on his walls."

"Because I was the headmaster of this school!" Phinneas roared.

"You were the least popular Headmaster this school ever had," Sirius reminded him.

"And you were one of the worst students," Phinneas retorted.

"Be that as it may," Sirius said dismissively. "As I was saying before we were rudely interrupted...the amulet was supposedly cursed. If Ursula dared to cheat on him while she was wearing the amulet, she would kill her paramour."

Harry shook his head. "How did Luna Lovegood get it then?"

"That's what you need to find out," Sirius told him.

"Well I know she told Hermione she got it on some holiday she took with her Dad," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Do you know where they went?" Sirius asked. "

"I'll ask when I see her next," Harry said, jotting it down on a piece of parchment.

"Let me know what you find out," Sirius said. "And if at all possible, see if you can get the necklace from Luna. "

"I'll try," Harry nodded. "Anything else?"

"Not that I can think of," Sirius replied. "I am glad that you're safe, Harry."

"I'm fine," Harry scowled. "I'd just like to throw Bellatrix back into Azkaban for good. Have her share a cell with Krum."

"You and me both," Sirius said. "Come on. I need to find Remus."

"Fine," Harry nodded.

"I've found us a place to stay in Vancouver," Sirius said conversationally. "I think you'll like it."

"I can't wait," Harry said. "This assignment is going to be so cool."

Sirius grinned. "You're looking forward to bossing people around."

"And you aren't?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

"You know I always love doing that," Sirius said laughing. He led the way out of the castle.

In the distance, Harry saw Hermione showing Remus where the attack had happened. His heart thumped painfully against his rib cage but he knew he couldn't put her in harm's way again.

"Find anything?" Sirius called out to them.

"Nothing," Lupin shook his head.

Sirius hadn't expected them to, but he was disappointed just the same. "We should be getting back to headquarters."

Lupin nodded. "Hermione, I'll be in touch." he promised.

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said.

"Harry can walk you back to the castle," Sirius shot his godson a look.

Hermione nodded. "Are you ready, Harry?"

Harry nodded. "Fine," he said a bit tersely.

"Lupin told me about the amulet," Hermione said to him as they went back into the castle.

"Sirius wants to know if we can get it from Luna," Harry said, keeping a step ahead of her.

"We can try," Hermione said quickening her step to keep up with him.

"Maybe she'll let me buy it off her," Harry said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I'll ask when I go to lunch."

Hermione nodded. "I-I missed you this morning."

Harry closed his eyes in reply.

"We have just a few days until the ball," Hermione said. "And I think that's when Bellatrix and Krum will make their big move."

"Maybe," Harry replied as they entered the castle.

"Is everything okay?" Hermione asked him. "You're acting strange---"

"I'm fine," Harry replied.

Hermione knew he was lying, but decided not to call him on it. "We should get to class."

"What a waste of time," Harry muttered. "Class isn't going to help us figure this out."

"It might," Hermione said softly.

Harry didn't answer as they collected their things and headed off to class.

He was distant and business-like toward her for the rest of the day. She knew what he was doing, but she couldn't understand why.

It wasn't until they were sitting down for dinner that she finally decided to confront him. "I already told you this isn't going to work," Hermione hissed in his ear.

"What?" Harry asked innocently.

"You pushing me away," Hermione glared at him.

"I'm not doing anything," Harry lied.

"Yes you are," Hermione said. "You're pushing me away because of what happened last night."

Harry used his fork to move the food around on his plate. He wanted to tell her this was all for the best.

"I've been honest about my feelings for you," Hermione said intently. "And you finally opened up to me. Don't shut me out now."

"I just think that we should concentrate on the case right now," Harry said quietly. "We can figure the other stuff out later."

"Other stuff?" Hermione asked sharply. "Is that what I am to you?"

Harry put his head in his hands. "No, that's not, but I have a lot to deal with Hermione! She nearly killed you last night!"

"But she didn't," Hermione lowered her voice and put her hand on his arm. "And you pushing me away isn't going to do anything now."

"If something happened to you, I'd never forgive myself," Harry told her.

Hermione sighed. "Something could happen to me regardless of if we're together Harry."

Harry could feel his defences falling. "Hermione, I love you. I didn't lie about that."

"And I love you," Hermione replied. "What happened last night shouldn't affect us being together."

"And you're not just 'other stuff' to me," Harry said. "Which is why I'd do anything to make sure you're okay."

"Then what better way than stay together?" Hermione asked.

"I want that more than anything," Harry said truthfully.

"Then don't push me away," Hermione said softly. "We can be together Harry."

Thankfully, Harry didn't have to reply because Ron picked that moment to join them.

"What a day," Ron piled his plate with food.

"Where's Luna?" Harry asked

"Sitting with the Ravenclaws," Ron nodded over at the table.

"Everything okay with you two?" Hermione asked. She was wondering if perhaps it wasn't such a great idea that she'd given Luna a way to get into Gryffindor Tower.

"Fine," Ron nodded. "She's just tired."

Hermione looked over to see Draco walking over to Ginny. "Ron---"

"What?" Ron looked up, his mouth full.

"Malfoy's apparently deciding to make his feelings public," Hermione commented. She had never thought that would happen. His fellow Slytherins were gaping at Malfoy as he followed behind Ginny.

The redhead in question was doing her best to ignore Draco Malfoy but found it impossible as he nearly stepped on her heels. "What?" she asked.

"I haven't seen you all day," Draco said. "You spending all day watching Longbottom?"

"None of your business," Ginny answered.

"Sit with me," Draco asked reaching for her hand.

"At the Slytherin table?" Ginny asked him incredulously. "Have you gone mad?"

"Just sit with me," Draco replied.

"I'm sure Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dumber would love that," Ginny said sarcastically.

"Please," Draco said, using a word he'd never said before.

"I--I don't know," Ginny stammered, but Draco was already taking her hand and leading her toward the Slytherin table. She knew this wasn't a good idea and she could practically feel every eye on them.

"What the hell is she doing?" Ron asked in disbelief.

"I have no idea," Hermione muttered.

Pansy Parkinson levelled her gaze at Ginny. "What is SHE doing here, Draco?"

"She's with me," the look Draco gave everyone kept them quiet.

Ginny felt uncomfortable, but to Malfoy's credit, he did try to make her feel better about this. He filled her plate with food and Ginny could practically feel Parkinson seething.

"I'm glad you came with me," Draco said quietly. "I intend to make you see how much better I am for you."

"I shouldn't be here," Ginny said quietly.

"Stay," Draco put his hand on her wrist. "Nothing will happen to you with me here."

Ginny smiled at him. "Okay."

Pansy was watching the scene unfold with fury. "Draco--" she began in a simpering tone. "I thought we had something..."

"See, that's where you messed up," Draco said looking dismissively at her. "You thought wrong."

Ginny couldn't resist sending a little smirk at the other girl, who scowled at her.

"You certainly get around," Pansy said angrily. "Dean Thomas...Michael Corner....Dean Thomas again....Harry Potter....Dean Thomas....Neville Longbottom....and now Draco."

"Jealous?" Ginny asked disdainfully, sounding very much like Draco in that moment.

"You're nothing but a tramp," Pansy said standing up and grabbing her bag. "And I can't wait to be there when he chucks you."

"Well, you'll be waiting a long time," Draco told Pansy. "It's never going to happy. Red is with me and we don't care what anyone has to say about it."

"That's right," Ginny said before she realised she had trapped herself.

"Rubbish," Pansy said before turning on her heel and walking away.

"Don't worry about her," Draco said. "She's just a jealous bitch."

Ginny nodded. She hadn't meant to say what she had, but she couldn't just sit there while Parkinson said what she had. And then there was the fact that Draco was openly acting as if he wanted to be with her.

"Is this an act?" she asked in a low voice. "You aren't usually so public with... well with anything. Is this just to piss my brother off?"

"Well that's an unexpected perk," Draco said dryly.

Ginny shook her head and rose. "I knew this was a mistake--"

"Wait--" Draco called after her, but she was already stalking out of the Great Hall.

"Can you go and check on her?" Ron asked Hermione. The three of them had watched the whole thing and Hermione practically choked on her juice when Ron asked her that.

"Me?" Hermione asked.

"Well yeah..." Ron said. "I mean, you're a girl and--"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Thanks for noticing."

"I'm just saying she might... I don't know... open up to you since you're a girl." Ron said. "Please?"

"She and I don't really---" Hermione protested. "Oh, alright...but I don't think she'll talk to me."

She got up from the table and noticed that Harry didn't even say a word, didn't even act like he cared she was leaving. "Will I see you later?" she asked him pointedly.

"Ron and I have this thing to do later," Harry told her.

"No, we----OW!" Ron yelped as he felt Harry kick him under the table. "Um, yeah that thing...."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "We will be talking later," she told him. "Don't you dare try and leave me out like you did earlier."

Harry nodded. "Right."

"I mean it," Hermione warned him before leaving the Great Hall.

"She does, you know," Ron said quietly. "She's scary as hell, Harry."

"Yeah," Harry said absently.

"Trouble in paradise?" Ron asked spooning some more food onto his plate.

"Sod off," Harry replied. "Things are fine."

"Suuuuuuuuure," Ron said gleefully.

"Why do you care?" Harry asked irritably.

"Hermione Granger is completely mental," Ron explained. "And you would be so much happier without her. I mean, the shagging can't be all that great, can it? I imagine she nags you the whole time about not doing it right."

"You have no idea, do you?" Harry asked him. "Have you ever just sat for five minutes and spoken to her in a decent manner? Every time I see you talk to her, you just have something to criticise her about."

"She and I have absolutely nothing in common," Ron pointed out.

"And how would you know that?" Harry returned. "You know, she just did you a huge favour. She and Ginny don't get on yet she just went out there to help YOU out."

"I said please," Ron grumbled. "Oh, okay! Fine. I'll be nicer to her."

"Just try," Harry said. "Really, really try for once."

"Okay," Ron replied.

Hermione finally managed to catch up to Ginny in the Gryffindor common room. She had a feeling this wouldn't go well. "Um, Ginny?"

"What do you want?" Ginny asked rudely.

Hermione ignored her tone. "Um, well I saw you leave the Great Hall and you looked upset. I was just seeing if you were okay."

Ginny raised her eyebrow. "Why would you even care?"

Hermione didn't, but she had told Ron she would try. "I know how much Neville meant to you and I guess this hasn't been easy for you."

"No, it hasn't," Ginny crossed her arms and treated Hermione to a view of her back.

"Neville's always been a great friend to me and even though you and I had our differences, I could see how much he cared for you," Hermione said

Ginny didn't answer her.

"If you want to talk--"

"Look Hermione," Ginny suddenly rounded on her. "We are not friends. So don't come in here acting as if we are now."

"Look, I was just concerned!" Hermione protested.

"Sure you were," Ginny said snidely. "You only want to look good in front of everyone else."

"For your information, your brother was concerned and he asked if I could check on you," Hermione told her. "You know----I was just trying to be nice. No matter what happened between you and me or you and anyone else, we do have something in common. Neville."

"Whatever," Ginny rolled her eyes.

Hermione sighed. "I'm sorry I bothered you."

"You can go spread the word that I'm fine," Ginny snapped.

"I'll tell Ronald," Hermione said. "He was concerned."

"Why do you call him Ronald?" Ginny sneered.

Hermione looked quizzically at her. "It's his name, isn't it?"

"Only Loony Lovegood calls him Ronald," Ginny shook her head.

Neither girl noticed that Ron and Harry were watching them.

"Luna Lovegood used to be your friend," Hermione told her. "What the hell has happened to you, Ginny?"

"I grew up, Hermione," Ginny retorted.

"And what about Neville?" Hermione asked. "He loved you, Ginny."

"What happened between me and Neville is NONE of your business!" Ginny shouted.

"I'm concerned about my friend and I don't like seeing him hurt," Hermione retorted.

"It's none of your concern," Ginny was seething as she advanced on the older girl.

"Ginny," Ron called out, hurrying to get between them. "Calm down!"

"You sent HER here to check on me?" Ginny rounded on him furiously.

"Because he was worried about you!" Hermione said in Ron's defence. "Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have him as a brother?"

"I don't need your input," Ginny hissed at her, wrenching herself from Ron's grasp. She pushed past Harry and ran out of the common room.

Hermione shook her head. "Ron, I'm sorry. I really did try."

Ron nodded. "Thanks Hermione. It was um... it was nice of you to help me out."

Hermione gave him a slight smile. "You're welcome, Ronald."

Harry nodded at Ron as the redhead left the room. He also turned to go but Hermione called him back.

"Did you and Ron finish with what you were going to do?" Hermione asked him.

"No," Harry said quickly. "In fact--"

Hermione came up behind him. "He's gone now."

"I should catch up with him," Harry moved towards the door but she caught his arm.

"He's okay," Hermione said softly. "You know I'm not sore anymore...."

Harry nodded. "That's good," he replied, wishing she wouldn't stand so close. His resolve was already weak and this wasn't helping matters.

Hermione moved to stand in front of him. She took his hand. "You...you could see for yourself, if you wanted..."

Harry swallowed hard. "Hermione..."

Hermione toyed with his tie. "Yeah?"

Harry was having an extremely difficult time telling her to stop.

Hermione smiled seductively at him as she pressed herself against him. She could certainly feel how much he wanted her. "We have some time before our rounds..."

Harry gulped as he brought his arms up.

"Upstairs," Hermione whispered in his ear.

"No," Harry shook his head as he summoned every last ounce of willpower he had.

Hermione didn't hear him. "Harry--"

"I can't," he shook his head. "We can't do this anymore."