Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' Note: This is the last chapter in this story. Please read the additional authors' note at the end of the chapter to get details on what is coming up next. We know that some of you have had some issues with this story, but we're glad that the majority of you have hung in here with us and have enjoyed the ride. We appreciate you guys taking the time to read and to review. It means the world to us and makes us want to keep writing!

Harry felt himself grow panicked. "Fuck!" he swore, drawing his wand and running back towards the castle.

Back inside the castle, Hermione was walking around the second floor corridor with Tonks.

"You know, Harry really should have more faith in your abilities," Tonks was telling the younger girl.

"I know it," Hermione fumed. "It's like up and down with him."

"Treating you like some damsel in distress," Tonks huffed.

"He's like every other guy," Hermione said, lighting the end of her wand.

"Exactly," Tonks said hiding a smile as she followed Hermione around the corner. If all went according to plan, that halfwit blonde would be in place and everything would go according to plan.

Hermione heard a muffled sound to her right and turned to look. "Luna?"

Luna looked up and wiped stubbornly at her eyes. "H-Hermione..."

"What are you doing out here?" Hermione rushed forward.

Tonks stood back and watched the two girls. Her wand was at the ready just in case Luna Lovegood flaked out on them, but she knew the pendant wouldn't let her down.

"I-I don't know," Luna said weakly.

"Come on let's get you to Dumbledore," Hermione tried to help her up.

"She doesn't need to see Dumbledore," Tonks said firmly. "You're fine, aren't you Luna?"

"What?" Luna asked.

"Luna knows what she has to do," Tonks said staring at Luna. "Don't you, Luna?"

"Yes..." Luna's gaze became vacant.

"I think we need to get her to the hospital wing at least," Hermione said. "Tonks, can you help me?"

Tonks merely smiled at her. "She's fine, Hermione."

"I'm fine," Luna said in a monotone.

Hermione looked back and forth between them. "What is going on here? Tonks?"

"Why don't you tell her, Luna?" Tonks asked the blonde.

Luna touched the pendant. "N-no...can't do this anymore...."

"Yes, you can," Bellatrix said as she slowly turned back into herself.

"Oh Merlin..." Hermione whimpered as she began to back up.

"Lovely to see you again, Miss Granger," Bellatrix said icily.

"How... how did you get in here?" Hermione asked shakily.

"That's not important now, is it?" Bellatrix asked. "My good friend Luna has been helping me with my plan and we have one last soul...and I think you're the perfect candidate. After all, taking you would not only give me what I want, it would be my way of taking from Potter what he took from me..."

"Whatever was taken from you, you deserved it..." Hermione pointed her wand at the other woman. "What have you done to Luna?"

"I gave her that necklace," Bellatrix replied. "Well, not me personally, but I did make sure it fell into the right hands. And what capable hands they were. She was scared and timid at first, but she really rose to the occasion. "

Luna grabbed Hermione's arm. "I-I can't do this anymore."

"You don't have to," Hermione told her. "Come on Luna. Just take off the pendant."

"Can't," Luna said shaking her head. "Daddy..."

Bellatrix laughed. "That's right," she drawled. "If she takes it off, her precious daddy dies."

"Why are you doing this?" Hermione asked her. "Voldemort is dead..."

Bellatrix's eyes blazed. "He will never be dead as long as those who are loyal to him live."

Luna shakily stepped forward. "It's easier if you don't fight it..."

"Luna YOU can fight this," Hermione grabbed the blonde's shoulders.

Tears streamed down Luna's cheeks as she did try to fight the hold that the pendant had on her.

"Bella--"

"DO IT!" Bellatrix hissed.

Luna nodded and focused her gaze on Hermione as the pendant around her neck illuminated.

"NO!" Harry exclaimed at the foot of the stairs watching in horror as Hermione collapsed.

"Potter," Bellatrix smiled icily. "So lovely of you to join our little soiree..."

Harry stared at Hermione's lifeless figure curled up on the ground at Luna's feet.

"The Dark Lord will be happy to see you," Bellatrix chided him.

"I killed him once, I could do it again," Harry said coldly.

"Would it be worth it?" Bellatrix asked motioning toward Hermione. "The Mudblood isn't going to be around to fawn at your feet..."

Harry advanced angrily on her. "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO HER?"

Bellatrix pointed her wand at Hermione. "You do anything to me and you'll lose any hope of getting her out of this hold I have on her now, Potter."

Harry stared at her, his anger almost too much to allow him to see straight. "You fucking pathetic bitch," he spat.

Bellatrix laughed. "You and Viktor....what do you see in her?"

"None of your damn business," Harry answered as Luna stood there, staring blankly at both of them. "And what did you do to her? Luna wouldn't harm anyone!"

"Normally she wouldn't," Bellatrix agreed. "But thanks to that pendant and my research on Malcolm Alderton....she became invaluable. And in just a few moments she will help me bring it all together."

"How?" Harry asked, hoping to trick her into telling him something he could use.

Bellatrix laughed. "You silly boy. That Mudblood really was the brains behind your little operation."

"Hermione would never have helped you," Harry's eyes narrowed.

"No, but I imagine she would have figured it out," Bellatrix said kicking Hermione's limp body. "She is rather clever, but you knew that."

"I know," Harry said coldly. "Do that again and I'll fucking kill you."

Bellatrix cackled. "It's not as if she can feel it, my dear boy."

"Why didn't you just do this yourself?" Harry asked her, moving closer to Hermione. "Why did you have to make Luna carry out your dirty work?"

"Being as you're about to join her, I imagine it'd be okay if I told you," Bellatrix said smugly. "You know that it's not that easy to get into this wretched place. I knew I had to get someone on the inside and Ernest Lovegood and his dreamy little daughter were just what we needed. She fell in love with my pendant. I can still hear her gushing to her poor father over it."

"Then why did you need the Draught of the Living Death?" Harry asked.

Bellatrix grinned. "You know your little friends up in the hospital wing? Those poor souls..."

Harry glared at her. "WHY?"

"How do you think they've managed to stay the way they are for so long?" Bellatrix asked circling him. "We needed to keep their souls preserved until he right moment. So, we had dear, sweet Luna going into the hospital wing and switching out those healing potions that your nurse was giving them. You know, she didn't want to do it. She fought us every step of the way, but that pendant's power was far too strong for her."

"You disgusting bitch," Harry spat. "And that's why no Slytherins were attacked. You need them--"

"I would never, ever attack the students in the very house that my master belonged to," Bellatrix interjected. "Never!"

Harry was thoroughly disgusted and he turned his attentions to the blonde, who was standing still and staring off into space. "Luna," Harry said. "Luna look at me."

Luna turned her pale blue eyes toward him.

"You don't have to do this," Harry said, looking at the glowing pendant.

"Yes she does," Bellatrix said smiling as Viktor joined them. The Bulgarian paled when he saw Hermione.

"Vot did you do to Hermy-own-ninny?" Krum demanded.

"I told you to forget about the Mudblood," Bellatrix snarled.

"That wasn't our plan," Viktor said angrily making a move toward Hermione.

Bellatrix stopped him with her wand. "Don't you make a move."

Viktor froze. "This wasn't our deal, Bella."

"You made a deal with her?" Harry asked. "Look what it got you, Krum!"

"She was going to give me Hermy-own-ninny," Viktor grumbled.

Harry stared at him in disgust.

"You're both pathetic," Bellatrix sniffed.

"Look who's talking!" Harry shouted. "You can't bring Voldemort back! No matter what you do!"

"That's where you're wrong!" Bellatrix roared. "He will be back and we will be together!"

"H-Harry," Luna muttered her eyes focused on him. "I-I d-didn't mean to do this..."

"I know," Harry said. "I know, Luna... just take off the pendant and it'll be all right."

Luna shook her head. "I can't! She'll kill my father!"

"You'll stop at nothing won't you?" Harry advanced on Bellatrix again. He wished Sirius or Remus or the real Tonks or ANYONE would come up there.

"You'd do anything for her, wouldn't you?" Bellatrix asked simply. "We're not so different, you and me, Potter."

"What I want to do for people won't kill others," Harry said angrily as they began to circle one another.

"I've not killed them," Bellatrix explained. "I've just ...borrowed them..."

"They're in here," Luna said weakly touching the pendant. "Their souls are all in here..."

Harry whipped around and stared at the pendant. "In there?" he choked out. "Hermione's-- soul? Is in there? And Ron's... and Neville's..."

Luna nodded. "I'm so sorry..."

"So sorry," Bellatrix mocked. "Well Potter... we now have all the souls we need. Your Mudblood lover was the last and greatest acquisition."

Sirius and Lupin appeared from behind Bellatrix. Harry didn't look in their direction because he didn't want to alert Bellatrix to their presence.

"This won't work," he said.

"Because you said so?" Bellatrix asked sarcastically. "That means nothing to me."

"I'll break the damn thing," Harry snapped. "You won't get anything!"

"You break it and you'll never see her again," Bellatrix hissed. "Is that what you want?"

"It'll free her," Harry said. "And everyone else."

"The hero saves the day," Bellatrix said with a laugh. "Not this time. Come here, Luna..."

"Don't go to her Luna," Harry held his arm out.

"LET HER GO!" Bellatrix shouted. "COME TO ME, LUNA!"

Luna's eyes again went glassy and she pulled free of Harry's grip and started towards Bellatrix.

Sirius stepped forward. "Good evening, cousin."

"Black," Bellatrix turned slightly. "Why am I not surprised to see you?"

"I was going to say the same about you," Sirius said calmly.

"Such a shame you turned your back on the family," Bellatrix purred. "You could have been a great wizard."

"Instead of a bigoted bitch such as yourself?" Sirius asked dryly.

Bellatrix sneered at him and kicked at Hermione's still body.

Harry resisted the urge to tackle her. He had to be patient for this to work and for him to save Hermione and the rest of his friends.

"It is time," Luna said listlessly.

"That's right my pet," Bellatrix said.

"Bella," Voldemort's raspy voice called out.

Harry felt his blood freeze at the sound of the voice he'd hoped to NEVER hear again. He spun around looking for the source and was stunned to discover it coming from Krum.

Bellatrix forgot about Sirius and the others as she knelt down in front of Viktor. "My lord, is it you?"

"Bella," Voldemort said weakly.

"Touch the pendant, Master!" Bellatrix said excitedly as she pulled Luna forward.

Luna trembled in fear as Viktor reached for her.

Sirius met Harry's gaze and nodded.

At the same time, Harry grabbed Luna and pulled her away as Sirius dived for Bellatrix. He ripped the pendant from her neck and smashed it as hard as he could against the stone wall.

Viktor's eyes glassed over and he passed out from the strain.

Bellatrix screamed out over Sirius' shoulder. "NO! MASTER!"

"Give it up," Sirius said, holding her wrists together. "It's over, Bellatrix."

Lupin ran over to help restrain Bellatrix.

Luna looked at the broken shards of the pendant. "Harry---"

"It's okay Luna," Harry said helping her to her feet.

"Is it---is it over?" Luna asked him in a small voice.

Harry nodded. "I don't know... I don't know what's going to happen to everyone. I hope they'll wake up."

"Oh Merlin..." Luna said looking down at Hermione. "Harry---"

Harry dropped to his knees next to her. "Hermione..." he gently turned her onto her back.

"We need to get her to the hospital wing," Lupin said to Harry. "Luna and Krum as well..."

Harry lifted her effortlessly. "Luna, can you walk?" he asked.

Luna nodded. "Yes..."

"We'll take care of Lestrange," Lupin said. "Tell Tonks to come up here immediately if you see her."

"I will," Harry promised. He held Hermione close as he carried her upstairs with Luna following behind.

"What am I going to say to everyone?" Luna asked softly. "After what I did..."

"It wasn't your fault," Harry told her. "The people who care about you will understand."

"I did it to Ronald," Luna said tearfully.

"He loves you," Harry reassured her, looking down at Hermione.

Luna looked at him a moment. "Like you love her..."

"Exactly like that," Harry whispered.

They arrived at the hospital wing where Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey were already waiting. "Put her here," the nurse directed. "And Miss Lovegood, you lie down there."

Harry set Hermione gingerly down on the bed and he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Stand back Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said briskly.

Harry nodded and moved over to stand by the headmaster. "She'll be okay, won't she?"

"We should know soon," Dumbledore told him quietly.

Harry looked around the room at the students who had been attacked. If only, he'd managed to figure this all out sooner, most of this could have been avoided.

"You did well tonight Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said. "Bellatrix has already been apprehended and Mr. Black has taken her to the Ministry."

"I wanted to kill her," Harry admitted.

"But you didn't," Dumbledore said quietly. "You are able to restrain yourself. That's the mark of a good Auror."

His words didn't mean much to Harry at the moment. He kept his eyes on Hermione as Madam Pomfrey tended to her.

"Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey huffed. "You should go..."

"No," Harry shook his head. "Not until she wakes up."

"You broke the pendant, correct?" Dumbledore asked him.

Harry nodded. "It was destroyed, sir."

"Then all the students should begin waking up quite shortly." Dumbledore said with a smile.

"What?" Harry asked.

"The students will wake up in the order their souls were stolen from them," Dumbledore looked over at Padma Patil's bed, where the dark haired girl was already beginning to stir.

Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore both hurried over to the girl's bedside and Harry took the opportunity to sit on Hermione's bed. He reached for her hand.

"It's all going to be different this time," he promised her. "When you wake up, it's all going to be different.

He'd realised something when he'd seen her attacked. It would have happened to her regardless of whether or not she was with him or not.

Harry vowed he wouldn't push her away again. Perhaps he could talk to Sirius and postpone their trip to Vancouver so he could finish out the school year with her.

One by one the students woke up and Luna kept her eyes on the red-haired boy who was lying on the bed directly across from her. She wondered what he'd say when he woke up---would he forgive her?

Harry looked over at her. "How are you feeling?" he asked quietly.

"Ashamed," Luna replied.

"It wasn't your fault," Harry told her. "You were possessed by that pendant... or rather what was in it."

"My father bought it for me," Luna said quietly. "We were travelling in Estonia and we came about this vendor who was selling these interesting looking necklaces. My father recognised the pendant and told me he thought it belonged to one of our ancestors. Because he bought it for me, I said I'd never take it off. Oh, Harry...what have I done?"

"Hey," Harry moved over to the edge of her bed. "You didn't know. Bellatrix used this to possess you. It's not like you did it of your own free will."

Luna wiped at her eyes. "I didn't even know what was happening, Harry. I'd wake up and not remember how I got to my bedroom. And I'd just feel so knackered..."

Harry nodded. "I don't talk about this very often," he began. "But when I was fifteen, Voldemort used Legilmency to get into my head. I felt the same way- exhausted and not knowing how I got to places."

"Did you---did you do anything bad?" Luna asked.

"Not really..." Harry answered. "But I saw the bad things Voldemort did. And not being able to do anything to help made me feel like I had a part in it."

"But you didn't--" Luna started to tell him.

"Witnessing it and not doing anything about it kind of feels like the same thing," Harry told her. He followed her glance over to Ron. "I think he'll know you weren't truly responsible."

"I love him so much," Luna said softly.

Harry smiled. "I'm sure he'll be waking up soon," he moved back to Hermione's bed.

"I hope so," Luna said leaning back against her pillows, but keeping an eye on Ron.

Ginny rushed into the room a few moments later. She'd heard what had happened upstairs and she'd left Draco's side. But, unbeknownst to her, he'd followed her upstairs to the hospital wing.

Ginny ignored Harry and Luna as she rushed over to Neville's side. The flowers she'd brought to him earlier that day were still sitting beside his bed.

"Is it true?" she asked the nurse. "They're all waking up?"

Madam Pomfrey nodded. "Yes, Miss Weasley. Let me know when Mr. Longbottom starts to stir."

Ginny smiled in relief. "Neville," she whispered. "I'm here... and everything's going to be okay."

Harry glared at her. She had some nerve coming up here after what she'd done. Almost as if on cue, Malfoy stormed into the hospital wing. "Red---"

"Go away, Draco," Ginny hissed. "Neville's going to wake up soon and the last thing he needs is to see you here."

"So you just leave me for him now?" Draco asked angrily.

"This isn't the time or the place for this," Ginny said her eyes still focused on Neville. She leaned over and placed a kiss on Neville's cheek.

"Then what you told me downstairs was a lie?" he demanded.

Ginny turned and looked at him in exasperation. "No... Yes...can we please not get into this now?"

Draco shook his head. "You're nothing but a tease," he said disdainfully.

"Mr. Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey huffed. "Can you please keep it down?"

"I'm out of here," Draco stated coldly.

Ginny turned back around and looked at Neville. His eyes blinked open and Ginny smiled down at him. "Neville..."

"Where am I?" the brown haired boy asked.

"You're in the hospital wing," Ginny told him softly. "You were attacked....don't try to talk too much, Neville."

Neville blinked as memories came rushing back to him. "You... you were up in the tower..."

Ginny squeezed his hand. "None of that matters now, Neville. I love you."

Neville stared at her, then at Draco who hovered behind her shoulder. "I can't believe this..."

"I'm sorry about what happened," Ginny said cutting him off. "But what was between Draco and me ...it's over now. It's just you and me."

Neville shook his head as he pushed himself up.

"Neville---"

"Go away," he said. "Just go away, Ginny."

Ginny looked at him. "Neville, you've just woken up---"

"And I remember what I saw right before I was attacked," Neville looked away from her. "It's over between us, Ginny."

Ginny's lower lip began to tremble. "Neville, you're the only one I want to be with. I was a fool before, but not anymore."

"It's too late," Neville pulled away from her. "See if he still wants you."

"Neville---"

Madam Pomfrey gently moved Ginny out of the way. "You can come back and see him tomorrow, Miss Weasley. I have to examine him."

"I'll be back," Ginny promised.

Neville glared at her retreating back. He never wanted to see her again.

Harry shook his head. "Alright Neville?" he asked.

"Getting there," Neville replied only half-listening as Madam Pomfrey explained what had happened.

"Ronald?" Luna asked looking over and seeing him beginning to stir.

Ron coughed as his eyes popped open. "What's going on? What am I doing in here?"

"It's my fault," Luna told him. "I-I attacked you, but I didn't mean to, Ronald. Please believe me!"

"What?" Ron squinted at her.

"It was me," Luna said hurriedly, thinking that if she didn't get it all out now, she'd never tell him. "That pendant I was wearing---it was enchanted or something and it made me do those horrible things, Ronald. I never, ever meant to hurt you or anyone else. Please tell me you believe me."

Some of the other students were staring at her now and Luna felt a sob rising up in her chest. "I'm so sorry," she said, tears welling up in her eyes as she got up off the bed. "I don't deserve to have anyone look after me, not after what I did!"

Ron looked at her as she sat down beside him. He remembered that night when she'd attacked him. Truth was, he didn't know what to make of all of this, but he did know that Luna wouldn't knowingly harm anyone. "I think you do, deserve it, I mean."

Luna looked at him thinking he meant she deserved the hostility and anger that was sure to come from the students and their parents. "I'm just going to leave now..."

"Hey Luna, wait!" Harry said but Ron had already gotten to his feet.

"Loony?" Ron asked.

Luna's lower lip trembled as she wiped her eyes.

"You daft girl," Ron said smiling at her. "I think you deserve someone to look after you. Merlin knows I need someone to look after me. And since I doubt anyone else would have us, we could be that for each other. What do you say?"

"You... you still love me?" Luna asked disbelievingly. "Even after what I did?"

Ron nodded. "You gave me a second chance after those horrible things I said about you."

"But you didn't hurt anyone," Luna looked down.

"And neither did you," Ron told her. "Not intentionally."

"Yes but--" she began.

Ron leaned forward and kissed her softly, cutting off her protest. "So are we clear?" he asked.

Luna stared at him. "I... I think so..."

Ron smiled and took her hand, leading her back over to the bed. Harry watched as his two friends cuddled up close.

"Nice going mate," he said, nodding at Ron.

Ron grinned, but didn't say anything.

Harry turned to look at Hermione. "Come on, sweetheart."

She stayed still for another several moments before letting out a weak moan.

Harry smiled and brushed back a strand of hair from her forehead. "Hermione, sweetheart. It's me."

Hermione's eyes drifted open and she focused them on him.

"You gave me quite a fright," he said softly. "But you're okay now."

"What happened?" she asked, putting her hand to her head.

Harry told her about the pendant and what had happened upstairs with Bellatrix, Krum, Luna and Sirius.

"I destroyed the pendant and you lot have been waking up in the order you were attacked.

"So I'm the last?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "We saved the best for last."

She didn't smile. "My head hurts a bit."

"You took a nasty fall when you were attacked," Harry said motioning for Madam Pomfrey.

"Oh," Hermione rubbed at her temples. "Everyone's okay?"

"Everyone's fine," Harry reassured her.

The nurse came over and Harry stood up so she could get a better look at Hermione.

"How are you feeling, Miss Granger?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"My head just hurts," Hermione said. "Otherwise I feel like I just had a really deep sleep."

"I'll give you a potion for your head," Madam Pomfrey said. "And we're going to keep all of you overnight for observation."

She nodded. "Thank you Madam Pomfrey."

"You can sit with her for a few more minutes, Mr. Potter," Madam Pomfrey said before hurrying off to get Hermione's potion.

Harry immediately sat down again. "It's all going to be okay now..."

Hermione looked wordlessly at him.

He smiled at her. "I was thinking--" he began before Lupin and Sirius came into the hospital wing.

"How are you feeling, Hermione?" Sirius asked.

"I'm all right," Hermione answered. "Thank you."

"You'll be happy to know that Bellatrix and Krum will be escorted to Azkaban in the morning," Sirius told them.

Hermione nodded. "How could they do this to innocent people?" she asked. "And how could they make Luna do this for them?"

"It's no secret of Bellatrix' involvement with Lord Voldemort," Lupin explained. "This was her twisted way of bringing him back. She used innocent people to do it and because of that she's going to pay."

"Good," Hermione nodded, her eyes cast down.

"You get some rest," Lupin told her. "Harry, we'll expect a full report tomorrow morning."

"Right," Harry nodded.

Sirius leaned over. "I'll tell you Harry, Kingsley is very, very pleased."

Harry frowned. "About that--"

"We'll talk in the morning," Sirius patted his shoulder. "I'll see you then."

Harry nodded and turned to see Hermione downing the potion the nurse had brought her.

When she'd finished, instead of looking over at him, she turned on her side and pulled the covers around her.

"If you're tired perhaps I can come back tomorrow," Harry said softly. "But you know I wouldn't mind staying here with you. I imagine I could turn on the old charm with Pomfrey..."

"It's okay," she interrupted. "I'm fine."

"Oh," Harry said quietly. "Okay."

Hermione shut her eyes, hoping he'd take the hint.

"I'll be back in the morning," he promised.

She didn't answer, only steadied her breathing as if she were already asleep.

Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss on the forehead. After saying a quick goodbye to Ron, Luna and Neville he left the hospital.

"Mr. Weasley," Madam Pomfrey said. "This is a hospital wing, not a hotel room!"

Ron laughed. "Come on, Madam Pomfrey. This is good for me."

"In your bed!" the nurse said sternly.

"You are no fun at all, you know that," Ron called back, reluctantly slipping out of the bed.

"It's okay Ronald," Luna said softly.

"When the Old Bat goes to bed, I'll be back," Ron promised her.

"NO YOU WILL NOT!" Madam Pomfrey called out. "I am not above using restraints on your bed, Mr. Weasley."

"Shite," Ron settled back as Neville sent him a half smile.

"Hermione, are you okay?" Luna asked looking over at her friend.

Hermione opened her eyes. "Yes Luna," she answered. "I'm fine. Are you all right?"

Luna shared a smile with Ron. "Yes, I'm fine."

"Good," Hermione smiled at her. "I'm glad. You know nobody blames you, right?"

Luna nodded. "I'm starting to see that."

"You're okay too?" Hermione asked Ron.

Ron nodded. "I'm ...I'm sorry for how I treated you."

"Me too," Hermione said softly. "Maybe... maybe we can both really try this time."

"We'll have to because of Harry," Ron said smiling at her.

Hermione's mouth sagged a bit. "Right... Harry."

"You're okay aren't you?" Luna asked. "You and Harry?"

"I don't know," she answered. "I don't know about anything right now."

"Never thought I'd hear Hermione Granger say that," Ron teased.

Hermione smiled a bit. "I'm going to sleep..." she turned on her side. "Good night."

"Good night," Luna said softly.

Neville was also already asleep and snoring. "Bloody hell," Ron muttered. "I didn't miss hearing that I tell you."

"What if I told you I snore like that when I sleep?" Luna asked him.

"I wouldn't believe it," he answered, leaning back against the pillow.

Luna smiled across the room at him. She still felt guilty for what had happened, but it didn't seem as if anyone blamed her for it. "Good night, Ronald."

"Night," Ron smiled at her.

Hermione closed her eyes and tried to go to sleep. The events of not just tonight, but the last few weeks played over and over in her head.

Harry telling her he loved her, then pulling away after they were attacked by Bellatrix and Krum. She may have acted like she understood, but the betrayal she'd felt when he cast her aside still hurt.

And no matter how much she loved him, she didn't want to play this neverending game with him.

"It's over this time," she whispered to herself.

The next morning, Harry checked in with Sirius, Lupin, Dumbledore and Kingsley. It was a long meeting, but he had to go over every detail with Sirius, Lupin, Kingsley and Dumbledore.

"Is there a chance of her getting out this time?" Harry asked. "Last time she wasn't supposed to--"

"No," Sirius told him. "Not this time. She'll die in there, Harry. You can mark my words on that."

"Good," Harry said. "She deserves nothing, not after this."

"You and Miss Granger worked well on this case," Kingsley said. "And your performance on this case convinced us that you should head up that assignment in Vancouver with Sirius."

Harry looked over at Sirius, hoping his godfather wouldn't be too angry about him wanting to stay at Hogwarts now.

Sirius could tell his godson had something on his mind and when the meeting was over, he took him aside.

"You want to stay, don't you?" Sirius asked him.

Harry nodded. "I want to stay with her."

Sirius nodded. "I thought as much."

"I don't want to let you down either," Harry said. "But I love her, Sirius. I've already messed her about a few times and I can't do it again."

"You've not let me down," Sirius reassured him. "And truth be told, you probably should have been here all along."

"I'm almost afraid to tell Kingsley," Harry looked at the older man.

"I'll tell him tomorrow," Sirius told him. "After this all dies down. But for now, you should probably get to the hospital wing."

Harry nodded. "Thanks Sirius."

Sirius gave his godson a hug. "I'm proud of you, Harry James."

"You are?" Harry asked, pleased.

"Absolutely," Sirius said. "You're a great Auror and you more than proved yourself on this case."

"Thanks," Harry replied. "I'll see you soon."

"Give Hermione my best," Sirius called after him.

"I will," Harry said over his shoulder as he hurried through the castle. He couldn't wait to tell Hermione that he was staying.

He arrived in the hospital wing to see Hermione sitting up in bed reading a book. She looked absolutely beautiful and Harry knew he'd made the right decision.

"Hey," he said, grinning at her.

"Hi," Hermione said looking up.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, sitting down on her bed.

"Better," Hermione replied.

"Good," he reached for her hand.

"When do you leave?" Hermione asked in a clipped tone.

"I have good news," Harry didn't notice her tone. "I'm not leaving."

"What?" Hermione asked pulling back her hand.

"I'm staying," Harry answered. "Until the end of the year..."

"I thought you couldn't wait to get out of here," Hermione said quietly. "And what about Vancouver?"

"Sirius is going to go by himself," Harry replied. "Perhaps I'll go after school lets out."

"Right," Hermione said giving him a strange look. "And what brought about this change of heart?"

"You," Harry answered. "I want to stay with you."

Hermione let out a weak laugh. "Now you want to stay with me?"

Harry's eyebrows creased. "I thought you'd be more excited about this. It's what you've wanted... and now it's what I want too."

"You want it now, but what happens a week from now?" Hermione asked him point-blank. "Or a few months down the road when I'm in training and you're in Canada? You going to want me then?"

"Hermione..." Harry said in confusion. "Of course I will."

"I can't do this," Hermione said shaking her head. "You're telling me what I want to hear, but it's a little too late for this, Harry."

"What?" Harry asked. "But Hermione-- I'm just telling you the truth."

"You have broken my heart time and time again," Hermione told him. "It you forever to tell me that you loved me...and then when you finally did...you pushed me away when I needed you most."

"I'm sorry," Harry apologised. "I'm not going to do that again."

"Go to Vancouver," Hermione told him. "It's what you want. It's what you really want. It's not me."

"I do too want you!" Harry insisted.

Hermione staved off her tears, not wanting to cry in front of him. "Go."

"No," Harry shook his head.

"A couple of days ago you were convinced that we should be apart," Hermione told him. "And now all of a sudden you want to stay. I know you...I know what you're afraid of. You're scared that anyone close to you is going to die or be taken away from you somehow. I was willing to take that risk."

"I don't think like that anymore," Harry said, shifting closer to her.

"Don't--"

"I love you," Harry said intently.

"I love you too," Hermione said. "But---"

"But what?" Harry asked. "That's all we need..."

Hermione started to protest, but he leaned in and kissed her.

The feel of his mouth on hers was as always, incredible, but she used up what willpower she had to push him away. "No... no. This won't work."

"Hermione, please--"

"I can't do this again!" she pushed back the covers. "Damn it Harry, you played with me too many times. I don't think I can handle it one more time!"

"I've told you that I wouldn't hurt you again," Harry said watching as she got to her feet. "Hermione---"

"Madam Pomfrey already told me I can go," Hermione wouldn't look at him again.

"I can help you back to the Common Room," Harry said.

"No," Hermione said. "I'm fine."

Harry couldn't believe this was happening. This was what she'd wanted or what she said she'd wanted.

"I love you," he told her. "And you can believe whatever you want, but that's the truth."

"It very may well be," Hermione answered. "But I didn't doubt it before and you still pulled away from me. So it's over, Harry."

Harry was starting to get angry. "Over? Is that what you want?"

"Yes," Hermione said defiantly.

Harry stood up. "If I go now, I won't be back."

Hermione nodded. "Fine."

"Fine," Harry said giving her one last look. "You know I find it ironic that you're the one who told me to take a chance on you and now you can't take one on me."

"I took chances on you!" Hermione slammed her bag down onto the bed. "I took multiple chances on you!"

"And I'm asking you to take one again!" Harry yelled.

Madam Pomfrey came out of her office and glared at him. "Mr. Potter. I would have you keep your voice down!"

"Sorry," Harry said sarcastically. "I was leaving anyway."

"It's for the best," Hermione folded her arms.

"Whatever you say," Harry said before stalking out of the room.

Sirius was beyond shocked to see his godson storm back into Dumbledore's office. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you with Hermione?"

"I've changed my mind," Harry said ignoring his question. "I'm ready to go to Vancouver. The sooner, the better."

"What happened?" Sirius asked.

"She's completely mental," Harry said. "That's what. She says one thing and wants something else. So you know what? We called it a day..."

"Harry," Sirius began.

"We're finished," Harry fumed. "For good. I've got my things and I want to get the hell out of here."

"If you're sure---"

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life." Harry snapped.

Sirius nodded. "Okay then."

Harry turned to look at Dumbledore, who had remained quiet during the exchange. "I'm sorry," he offered the older man. "I appreciate you letting me come in here to work like this."

"I appreciate you solving the case," Dumbledore told him. "There's no need to apologise, Harry. I hope we'll see you again."

Harry only nodded and shook Dumbledore's hand.

As Harry said his goodbyes to Dumbledore, Ginny was making her way to her next class. She had tried in vain to see Neville, but Madam Pomfrey told her that he didn't want to see her.

She turned a corner and started heading down the corridor that led to the dungeons when she heard a few voices.

"We should never have sent you here anyway," a tall blonde woman was saying to Draco. "I told your father that Durmstrang would have been a better fit."

"So we can leave?" Draco asked.

The older woman nodded and put her arm around him. Ginny stepped out of the shadows. "You're going?"

Draco stared at her with a sneer. "As if you care."

"You'll be back after the holidays, though," Ginny said quietly. "Right?"

Narcissa's lip was turned up in disgust. "Aren't you a Weasley?"

"Yes," Ginny said extending her hand. "I'm Ginny Weasley."

"She doesn't matter, Mother," Draco said. "Come on."

"Run along, Jeannie," Narcissa said dismissively.

"Draco, wait," Ginny called after him.

Draco didn't stop.

Ginny stared at him in disbelief. If he'd really loved her, he would have taken up for her in front of his mother. Well, that was just fine, Ginny thought glaring after him. She would work on making it up to Neville. He was the only one who truly cared about her.

Upstairs, Hermione had just settled in her seat for Charms class, between Ron and Lavender.

Ron nudged Hermione. "Harry's leaving. Do you know anything about that?"

Hermione nodded. "I don't want to talk about it," she said quietly.

Ron sighed. "He didn't want to talk about it either."

"It's a long story," she answered.

"Are you all right?" Lavender asked her sympathetically.

"Not really," Hermione admitted. "But...but I will be. Life goes on, right?"

"Right," Lavender smiled at her. "And I'll be here to help you."

Hermione smiled back at her. "Thank you."

"Ron will help too," Lavender said motioning toward him. "Won't you, Ron?"

"Um... sure." Ron nodded. "If... if you want me to."

"I promise I won't make you eat ice cream with me and do manicures," Hermione said.

"I'd do the ice cream part," Ron answered.

"I'll handle the manicures," Lavender said.

Hermione smiled at the two of them. She knew what they were trying to do and she appreciated it.

"You and Luna are all right then?" she asked him.

"Perfect," Ron said with a grin. "She and her dad are going to spend the holidays with us at the Burrow."

"I'm really happy for you," Hermione told him. "Luna's a nice girl."

"Don't mess it up, Ron," Lavender said. "She's really sweet."

"I won't," Ron looked at his ex girlfriend. "What's going on with you and Seamus?"

"We're just friends," Lavender said. "Besides, he's still hung up on Parv."

Ron nodded. "That's cool."

"We'll see," Lavender said with a grin.

As class began, Hermione's eyes strayed towards the seat Harry had occupied while posing as a student. She truly wanted to believe she had made the right decision.

Harry stepped out onto the front steps of the castle and looked back up at the place that had been his home for the past couple of months.

"Second thoughts?" Sirius asked.

He shook his head. "No," he said in a wooden tone.

"Let's go then," Sirius said. "We have a long journey ahead of us."

"Right," Harry said. "I can't wait to get away from here."

Sirius wasn't so sure about that, but he followed his godson just the same. He had a feeling that Harry Potter and Hermione Granger hadn't seen the last of each other.

Authors' note: Hogwarts Undercover has come to an end but the story of Hermione and Harry continues in Cayman Undercover. Here is the summary of the new story which we will post on Thursdays.

Cayman Undercover: Sequel to Hogwarts Undercover. Three years after going undercover at Hogwarts together, Harry and Hermione are paired up again for another assignment, this time at a luxury resort on the island of Grand Cayman. Can they find a way to work together without letting those old feelings get in the way? Back in England, Ginny Weasley is doing her best to win back Neville's affections, but Cho Chang also has her sights set on him. Which girl will win his heart?