Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Hi guys! This is the latest chapter of our new story. Will Harry stay to finish the case? Will he and Hermione ever find common ground? W do want to wish everyone a Happy New Year and please let us know what you think of the chapter.

He headed upstairs, knowing the Gryffindor Common room would be empty at this time of day and he could talk to Sirius in private.

Sirius had just sat down to a late breakfast when he heard his godson's voice coming from the sitting room.

"This had better be good," Sirius said walking into the sitting room.

"I'm out of here," Harry said. "I told you from the start this wasn't a good idea. Now another person was attacked and I don't know a damn thing. I want out. Now."

Sirius laughed. "I had you lasting a lot longer than that, Harry. Come on, mate. You've only been there a few days."

"And it's fucking awful," Harry snapped.

"Snape?" Sirius guessed.

"He tried to give me detention, but I'm not going," Harry said.

"I warned you about him," Sirius reminded him.

"Whatever," Harry said. "Just get me the hell out of here."

Sirius sighed. "And what about your partner? Are you going to just leave her?"

Harry nodded vigorously. "She's impossible Sirius."

"Remus has been singing her praises," Sirius said thoughtfully. "Says he hasn't seen such a clever mind in years. Very bright, he says."

Harry scoffed. "Whatever."

"Whatever indeed," Sirius said examining his godson's face. "You like her."

"I do not!" Harry denied quickly.

"That's not what I heard," Sirius said.

Harry narrowed his eyes. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Sirius sat down on the sofa and grinned. "I heard that you and Miss Granger were creating quite a stir in The Three Broomsticks."

Harry laughed bitterly. "She was all dressed up for Viktor Krum. She said she was trying to get information out of him but I think she was there trying to get a date."

"She didn't leave with Krum though, did she?" Sirius asked. He knew his godson far too well. "She left with you and hasn't had contact with Krum since that evening."

"And how do you know?" Harry asked sarcastically.

"I know everything," Sirius deadpanned.

"Sod off," Harry said crossly. "So are you going to get me out of here or what?"

"No," Sirius replied.

"Why not?" Harry demanded. "Damn it Sirius..."

"You're not a quitter, Harry," Sirius said. "You remember those times you thought you'd never get those assignments? Those things that you failed at? Every single time, you got back up and tried again until you had it down."

"This is different," Harry replied. "I don't want to be here Sirius."

"Why not?" Sirius asked him. "Because it's difficult? Because you don't know what you're doing? Because you feel like you're above it all?"

"Something like that," Harry said angrily.

Sirius nodded. "If that's what you want, fine. I'll talk to Kingsley this afternoon."

"Thank you," Harry said in relief. He only had to put up with this place a few more hours.

"I'm disappointed in you Harry," Sirius said getting to his feet. "But I'm certainly not going to make you stay somewhere you don't want to be."

"Fine," Harry said shortly. "I'll see you soon."

Harry sat back on the sofa and stared absently into the flames. He wasn't giving up, he thought to himself. What he had done was assess the situation and had made a logical decision that it would be better for all parties involved if he cut his losses and left.

*** *** ***

Luna was working on an essay in the library for one of her classes, but her attention was only half hearted. Most of her focus was across the library in the form of a redheaded Gryffindor male.

Truth be told, she'd always been fascinated by him, but more so this year. That was until he'd taken back up with Lavender Brown. They were the on-again/off-again couple of Hogwarts and everyone wondered how long they'd last each time they got back together.

Luna thought had enjoyed the walks she'd shared with Ron over the last couple of days. He was a little hesitant, but she was starting to think that maybe, just maybe he was warming up to her. And to her delight, he was coming over toward her.

"I need your help," Ron said putting a book down before her.

"Of course," she beamed at him, sticking her quill behind her ear.

"What do you know about love potions?" Ron asked sitting down and motioning toward the book.

"Love potions?" Luna asked. "Um... I know that when someone's been put under one, they will often appear dazed and out of sorts, and act completely different."

"Exactly," Ron said nodding enthusiastically. "Now, you have to help me prove that Hermione Granger's using one on Harry."

"Why would Hermione Granger need a love potion?" Luna asked.

"Have you seen Hermione Granger?" Ron asked her. "Luna...she's a boring know-it-all bookworm who loves to nag you about everything that has to do with school. Does that sound like someone who you'd like to hang out with? Well, it certainly wasn't Harry...we used to make fun of her behind her back, you know? And now, he's...he was thrown out of class for defending her honour and then they're always together. ALL the time."

"Maybe he realises she's not so bad," Luna gazed at him. "If a lot of people would open their eyes, they'd see how many people just want to be accepted."

Ron didn't catch her meaning. He just shook his head. "If he has realised that, it's because she's slipping something into his pumpkin juice."

Luna looked dreamily up at him. "What if Lavender Brown has you under a love potion?"

Ron laughed. "She doesn't need a love potion."

"Are you sure?" Luna asked, tipping her head to one side.

"Completely," Ron replied thumbing through the book again. "I've fancied her since third year and I finally got her."

Luna's face fell just the tiniest bit. "I hope you're happy then..." she said softly.

"I am," Ron said with a shrug. "Most of the time."

"If you were truly happy, it'd be all the time," Luna stared up at him.

Ron looked across the table at her. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Luna shrugged. "But if you were truly happy, you'd never be upset."

"That's rubbish," Ron argued. "No one's happy all the time."

Luna smiled at him. "You're probably right..."

"What about you?" Ron asked her. "Anyone you fancy?"

Luna blushed the tiniest bit as she gazed at him wordlessly.

Ron suddenly felt uncomfortable. "Um, well..."

"If you want a good book on love potions, I'd check on that shelf over there," Luna pointed.

"Thanks," Ron said relieved for the chance to get away from her. There was something about the way she'd looked at him that he was wondering if she would use a love potion on him.

She watched him go grab a few books and then sit back down by Lavender Brown.

"Why were you sitting with her?" Lavender hissed at him.

"I had to ask her something," Ron replied.

"About what?" Lavender asked.

"You won't say anything right?" Ron asked.

Lavender tampered her jealousy for a moment, eager to hear some gossip. "I swear, what is it?"

"I think Hermione Granger has Harry under some sort of love potion," Ron said in a low voice. "Why else would he suddenly be hanging out with her?"

"I wouldn't put it past her and she is great at potions," Lavender said tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"So you think so too?" Ron asked eagerly.

Lavender inched closer to him. "I do and do you know...the other night, I saw her sneaking back into our room and she was wearing this ...well, it was this really great dress and the most amazing boots. I didn't even recognise her."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "That's really odd..."

"She looked like a right tart," Lavender said.

"Maybe she is," Ron snorted. "I've never liked her."

"If she's dating your best friend, you might have to learn to like her," Lavender commented.

"She is NOT dating Harry," Ron glared at her.

"Why do you care?" Lavender asked with a laugh.

"Because Harry's my best friend and she's a complete shrew," Ron slammed his book shut.

"She's not that bad," Lavender tried to reassure him.

"Like you spend any time with her at all," Ron snapped.

"I share a room with her," Lavender reminded him.

"Fuck this," Ron got up. "I'm out of here."

"Ron, you're acting like a child," Lavender said. "Over your best friend dating Hermione Granger. Big deal."

Ron said nothing, only shoved his things in his bag.

Lavender sighed. "Well, I guess we won't be going to the Astronomy Tower tonight then."

"You know, you always made fun of her too," Ron said furiously. "And now you act like she's your best friend."

"Why are we arguing over Hermione Bloody Granger?" Lavender asked, her cheeks flushed with anger.

"Because you don't see things the way I do," Ron glared back.

"News flash, Ron," Lavender said getting in his face. "Not everyone agrees with you!"

Ron reached into his pocket and threw Lavender's stupid necklace onto the table. "We're over," he snapped. "Again."

"Fine with me!" Lavender retorted grabbing her things and running out of the library.

"Bitch," Ron muttered.

"Language, Mr. Weasley!" Madam Pince admonished from behind him.

"Sorry," Ron grunted. He left his books on the table and headed out of the library, not noticing the blonde that followed.

"Ronald," Luna called after him. "Ronald!"

"WHAT?" Ron roared, turning around.

Luna nearly jumped out of her skin. "You--you left this," she said quietly handing him the book on love potions.

"Oh," Ron said, taking the book. "Uh... thanks."

"No problem," Luna said thinking that she'd best leave him alone.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "Lav and I just had a fight and I didn't mean to snap at you."

"I think the whole library heard you," Luna admitted.

"Yeah well..." Ron rolled his eyes. "No love potion for me..."

"Maybe it's for the best," Luna said softly.

"I guess," Ron replied. "Well... thanks for the book." he'd never noticed before, but her eyes were a very bright blue when she wasn't all zoned out.

"You're quite welcome," Luna said smiling tentatively at him.

He smiled back at her before turning and heading back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

As if his day couldn't get any better, he nearly ran into Hermione Granger on the staircase.

"Excuse me," Hermione said trying to ease past him.

"Where are you going?" he asked coldly. "To slip Harry more love potion?"

Hermione glared at him. "I beg your pardon?"

"Why else would he want to hang out with you?" Ron snapped.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He doesn't want to hang out with me, you half-wit. In fact, he's leaving."

"Huh?" Ron was genuinely befuddled. "Leaving? How can he leave in the middle of the year? He only did that when he defeated You Know Who---" he went pale. "Oh fuck... is he back? Is that why Harry's leaving?"

Harry had heard their voices the moment he'd set foot out of his room. He debated going back inside and waiting for them to finish up, but he was worried he'd miss Sirius and he took his chances.

"What's this about you leaving then?" Ron asked rounding on his best friend.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Harry asked in a crabby tone.

"Granger just told me that you were leaving," Ron said folding his arms. "Is HE back?"

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Is WHO back?"

"You know," Ron whispered. "HIM."

"He means Voldemort," Hermione said impatiently.

"Don't SAY HIS NAME!" Ron shouted.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He's dead, Ronald."

"Then why are you leaving?" Ron turned to face his best friend.

Hermione levelled her gaze at Harry. "Yeah, Harry. Why are you leaving?"

"None of your fucking business," Harry said coolly to them both.

"If you'll excuse me, I have detention," Hermione said primly. "Goodbye, Harry. Have a nice life."

"Have a nice detention," he smirked at her.

Hermione wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of a response. The sooner he was out of here, the better off they'd all be.

"I thought you had detention too," Ron said to Harry. "But I guess if you're LEAVING, it doesn't make a difference. Thanks for sharing with me."

"It was last minute," Harry said which was true. "I'll see you around, mate."

"Fuck you," Ron snapped. "Seven years of friendship and this is it, eh?"

Harry nearly told him it was more like seven days, but he kept his mouth shut. "Look---"

"Don't you want to go give your girlfriend a goodbye snog?" Ron interjected.

"What?" Harry asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Hermione," Ron replied. "You know, the girl you've been spending every single waking moment with. "

"She's not my girlfriend," Harry spat.

"Then what is she?" Ron asked.

"She's nothing," Harry answered coldly.

Dennis Creevey cleared his throat. "Excuse me, sirs. But, Headmaster Dumbledore asked to see you Harry. He said it was urgent."

"Finally," Harry said, pushing past Ron and heading out of the portrait door.

Dumbledore was sitting in his office with Sirius and Kingsley Shacklebolt discussing the case.

"I'm sure Harry and Miss Granger will be here shortly," Dumbledore said to his guests.

"I finally get to meet the famous Miss Granger," Sirius said with a grin.

"She's quite the handful," Dumbledore said with a laugh. "And the most intelligent witch since Lily Potter."

Sirius grinned even wider and wondered if history was perhaps repeating itself.

"I think I hear them coming now," Dumbledore said. And sure enough, the three adults could hear Harry and Hermione arguing.

"I am not following you," Hermione was saying to him. "Professor Snape told me that the headmaster wished to see me."

"Whatever," Harry said angrily. "Just--" his words cut off when he saw Sirius and Kingsley sitting there. "Am I leaving?"

"Have a seat," Dumbledore instructed. "Miss Granger, you've met Kingsley, of course, but I'd like for you to meet Sirius Black."

Hermione smiled warmly at him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Black."

"And you as well," Sirius grinned at her. "You're quite the genius, I've heard."

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you."

"Enough with the mutual admiration society crap," Harry interjected. "When do we leave?"

"We're leaving as soon as this meeting is over," Kingsley stood up. "You, Potter, are staying until this is resolved."

"WHAT?" Harry and Hermione both practically shouted in unison.

"You were assigned this case for a reason," Kingsley said with a hard look at both of them. "And you're going to stay until it's finished."

"What's the reason, Kingsley?" Harry asked, trying to keep his cool. "I'm not cut out for this."

"We wouldn't have placed you here if we didn't think you could handle it," Kingsley said coolly.

Harry turned and glared at his godfather.

"Don't look at him," Kingsley said. "This was my decision, Harry. And it's final. You might not like taking orders, but you'll have to learn quickly if you want to succeed as an Auror."

"What the fuck ever," Harry rolled his eyes.

"We won't let you down, Sir," Hermione said firmly. "We'll do whatever it takes to solve this case."

Kingsley's eyes softened a bit. "Thank you Miss Granger. We are not disappointed with your research so far and we have faith you won't let us down."

His praise meant more to her than he'd ever know. She had spent the last few hours feeling like such a failure, but knowing that he had confidence in her strengthened her resolve. "Thank you, sir."

"I know Professor Snape assigned you both to detention, but I think we can waive that so you both can get to work," Dumbledore told them.

"Thank you," Hermione said. "In fact, I was thinking that perhaps Harry could help me with my rounds tonight."

"Brilliant idea," Sirius said with a wicked grin at his godson.

"We'll be in touch," Kingsley said nodding his head to dismiss them.

"Good luck," Sirius told Harry.

"Not one word," Harry said glaring at him before following Hermione out of the office.

Hermione didn't want to work with Harry any more than he wanted to work with her, but she couldn't resist sending him a superior look. "It's good to know my work is appreciated," she said happily.

"We won't let you down, sir," Harry mimicked. "We'll do whatever it takes..."

"Bugger off," Hermione scowled at him. "You're stuck here so you may as well get used to it."

"This is complete bullshit," Harry muttered. "They're punishing me."

"You poor thing," she mocked.

Harry begrudgingly had to admit that it probably was a good idea to accompany her on her rounds this evening. "We're stuck, Granger."

"Tell me something I don't know," she retorted. "So let's make the best of it, solve this, and go our separate ways."

"Well, just don't expect me to snog you again," Harry muttered.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Hermione said sarcastically. "By the way, did I mention I got an owl from Viktor? He's coming for the Hogsmeade weekend and I'm sure I can get more information out of him."

"Since he was so helpful last time?" Harry asked sarcastically. "I'm not going to let you sabotage the investigation so you can shag Krum..."

"You're just jealous," Hermione refused to let him ruffle her feathers again. "Because I'm doing a better job than you are."

"Says who?" Harry asked looking at her sideways. "This is your first bloody case."

"And it's the first one you've done on your own," Hermione said calmly. "Well, without your godfather at least. Like it or not, we're partners. So deal with it."

"I'm not leaving you alone with Krum," Harry said defiantly.

"So you've suddenly decided to care?" she asked sarcastically.

"You have no idea what he's capable of," Harry said defensively.

"Neither do you," Hermione said.

"Which is why you aren't going to be alone with him," Harry said smugly.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You think you're so much better than me don't you?"

"I never said that," Harry retorted. "I just think that I have a lot more experience in this than you do. You're more of a behind the scenes type person, Granger."

Hermione scoffed. "You think you're such an expert at reading people don't you?"

Harry shrugged. "I wouldn't say I'm an expert..."

"I'd hardly say that," Hermione replied crisply.

"Okay," Harry said enjoying their banter. "How about you read me, Granger. Come on, Miss Bossy Boots. Let me have it."

"All right," Hermione crossed her arms. "You're a smug, arrogant bastard who thinks he's got the world on a plate. You hate being here because you're not in control, and you don't have the say in everything we do."

Harry gave her his most charming smile. "I wouldn't say I was a bastard..."

"I would," Hermione raised an eyebrow and forced herself to resist his obvious appeal.

"Fair enough," Harry said with a laugh. "You...you pretty much got it in one. I don't like having to answer to people."

Hermione smirked at him. "Well, if you'll excuse me, I have an essay to work on."

Harry grabbed her arm and pulled her to him. "What time are we doing rounds?"

"Half past ten," Hermione tried to pull away.

"You going to wear those boots again?" Harry asked huskily.

"Sod off," she said in a cross tone. "I'm not wearing anything special for YOU."

"We'll see," Harry said finally releasing her.

Hermione glared at him again before stalking away.

Harry watched her go and couldn't help smiling. He was stuck here and the thought of going to classes made him quite cross, but spending time with Granger and finding out what made her tick, would certainly help pass the time. Maybe, he thought with a grin, this wouldn't be that bad.

*** *** ***

That night Harry did indeed accompany Hermione on her rounds. He wore his invisibility cloak and walked a few paces behind her as she patrolled the corridors. Both of them kept their eyes and ears peeled for anything out of the ordinary.

"So, is this what you do for fun?" Harry whispered to her.

"This is my duty," Hermione hissed.

"Right," Harry said with a laugh. "I forgot how serious you take all of this stuff."

"Look," Hermione glared back at the empty air behind her. "I take my responsibilities seriously. If you did the same it'd be a nice change."

"I take my responsibilities seriously," Harry said. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Only because you were forced to be," she countered.

Harry was silent for a few moments because he didn't really have a response for that.

"So," he said as they turned the corridor.

"Come on," she said. "We still have the lower level to cover."

"Right," Harry said following her down the stairs. "So, you mind telling me why you and Ron hate each other?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Hermione asked with a smirk. "He thinks I'm a brainy ugly know it all, and I think he's a self centred git."

"You are a brainy know-it-all," Harry commented. "But he's wrong about the ugly part."

Hermione stopped so suddenly that he bumped into her.

"What did you stop for?" Harry asked angrily.

"Shhhh," Hermione whispered. "Where are you? Take off that cloak so I can see you!"

"Right behind you," he said taking off the cloak.

"Did you hear that?" she whispered.

Harry started to roll his eyes, but he did hear something coming from the potions classroom. He withdrew his wand and motioned for Hermione to do the same. "Follow me," he whispered.

The two of them crept along the corridor, keeping as flat to the wall as possible. "Do you see anything?" She asked her voice barely audible.

Harry peered into the dark classroom and could barely make out someone hunched over one of the cabinets in the back.

"Petrificus Totalus!" he pointed his wand and shot the spell, but the figure was too quick. Whoever it was dodged and ran out the other door to the classroom.

"Damn it!" Hermione cursed, brushing past him.

"Stay here," Harry ordered taking off after the figure.

"Hey!" she called out angrily.

Harry ignored her as he ran out of the room. Hermione glared after him. In addition to being an arrogant prat, he was a sexist pig, she thought.

She knelt down to see what she could find out from the broken bottles on the floor. "Ragweed," Hermione murmured, reaching for a piece of parchment in her pocket. "Essence of molten lava..."

Harry was grumbling to himself when he came back into the classroom. "They must have Apparated," he told Hermione.

"How many times do I have to tell you that you can't do that at Hogwarts?" Hermione asked him. "If you read Hogwarts---"

"Well I'm NOT going to read it," Harry interrupted. "So fine, they didn't Apparate, but whoever it is knows how to hide themselves very well."

Hermione didn't answer him and continued to look at the broken bottles on the floor.

"What did you find out?" Harry asked after a moment.

"I'm not sure," Hermione said. "I'll have to do some research, but there were three broken bottles here. One was ragweed and the other was essence of molten lava. And this...is sulphurous. Harry, this is used to brew the Draught of the Living Death."

"What does that do?" Harry asked.

"It's used to put someone in a deep sleep," Hermione told him. She was wracking her brain to think of some sort of explanation for this group of ingredients. "This would explain how the victims coma-like state. But I'm not sure what the effects would be if it were combined with these other ingredients. Snape might know."

"Not like he's going to tell us anything," Harry said, nudging one of the bottles with his foot.

"He's going to be cross when he sees this," Hermione commented. "What a mess..."

"Good," Harry said. "Let's leave it for him then."

"We can't," Hermione said glaring at him.

"Why not?" Harry asked.

"We'll need to clean it up," Hermione said getting to her feet. "I think there's a broom somewhere around here..."

"But if we leave it, then everyone will be forced to realise what's going on," Harry replied.

"But-" Hermione started to protest.

"You know I'm right," he said with a smirk.

"You might have a point," Hermione begrudgingly admitted.

"Just say you know I do," Harry said in a condescending tone.

"No," Hermione said stubbornly.

The way he grinned at her made her want to slap the smile right off his face.

"We still have to finish patrolling," Hermione said breezing past him.

"Fine," Harry said enjoying how angry she was.

"You think your godfather would have taught you manners or at the very least humility," Hermione said walking out of the classroom.

"I've been told my manners are top notch," Harry said, not bothering to put the cloak back on.

"By whom?" Hermione asked sarcastically. "A Neanderthal?"

"Funny, Granger." Harry quipped.

Hermione sighed. "Ron's a prefect, did you know that? Now ask me how many times the lazy git has done rounds?"

"He told me he does them first thing in the morning," Harry replied.

Hermione laughed. "No, he doesn't. I always end up having to do them because he's never awake on time. I don't know whose bright idea it was to make him prefect."

"Probably Dumbledore's," Harry answered. "You're calling the headmaster stupid?"

"Of course not!" Hermione exclaimed. "I just---I just don't understand how he was picked is all."

They rounded the corner and Hermione kept her pace one step quicker than Harry. The less time she had to spend with him, the better.

"So," Harry said conversationally. "How's come you're not Head Girl, Miss Top of the Class?"

"Because I refused the position in order to do this assignment, although now I wonder what I was thinking," Hermione answered.

"Can't be all that bad," Harry said with a grin. "You get to hang out with me."

"Just what I always dreamed of," Hermione said sarcastically.

"And have you?" Harry asked her quickening his step to catch up with her. "Dreamed about me?"

"If I did, I'd classify it as a nightmare," Hermione said, trying to hurry away from him.

"You're not a good liar," Harry said grinning at her. "Not at all."

"Could it possibly occur to you that I'm not lying?" Hermione snapped, stopping again abruptly. "Could it also occur to you that ONE person on the face of the planet doesn't find you appealing in any way?"

Harry clutched at his heart. "You don't?"

"Look who got smart," she glared at him before turning away. He grabbed her arm.

"So," Harry said pulling her close. "You wouldn't be affected in the slightest if I told you that I've had dreams about you..."

"Of... of course it wouldn't," she stammered. "Why would you be dreaming about me anyway?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Harry asked leaning in.

"No," she shook her head.

"You're not the slightest bit curious?" he asked touching her cheek with his other hand.

"No," she said, swallowing hard.

"And if I were to kiss you now, it wouldn't affect you?" he asked putting his finger on her lips. "Even though I said I wasn't going to snog you again..."

"I don't want you to snog me again," Hermione said weakly.

"Really?" Harry asked softly.

She shook her head, but it wasn't very convincing.

"Because I wouldn't want to do anything," Harry said brushing his lips against hers ever so slightly. "That you didn't want me to do."

Hermione let out a tiny whimper that wasn't lost on him.

"Yes?" Harry asked her.

For the first time in her life, she felt truly incapable of speaking.

He had his answer and he kissed her so hard it nearly took her breath away.