Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We hope you like the latest instalment. For those of you who were wondering when we would get back to the mystery…here you go!

The day of the big Quidditch match found the Auror department on high alert. It had been awhile since any student had been attacked. No one was fooling themselves into thinking it was over. It was now a game of wait and see. Sirius and Lupin were at Grimmauld Place going over the last minute plans.

"I still don't like this," Lupin said thoughtfully looking at a map of the grounds. "There are too many variables."

"I know," Sirius agreed. "But Dumbledore wants to keep things as normal as possible for the students."

Lupin nodded. "If anything good has come out of this, it will be that Harry was finally able to go to Hogwarts."

"James and Lily wanted him to," Sirius said. "But by the time I got him, term had already started and then..."

"You wanted to keep him with you," Lupin finished. "You know how I always felt about this, Sirius. He should have been there all along."

"It's not time to lecture me about it," Sirius said a bit sharply.

Lupin folded the map. "You are his godfather. You did what you thought was best."

"He hasn't turned out worse for wear," Sirius muttered. "I think I did a good job raising him."

"I never said you didn't," Lupin said hastily.

Sirius was quiet for a moment. "That girl he's working with, Hermione. She's brilliant."

"She is that," Lupin agreed. "Headquarters think that she's one to watch."

"You know what I think?" Sirius asked. "I think Harry's fallen for her."

Lupin grinned. "You don't say?"

"When they stayed over, I found him in her bed in the morning," Sirius said. "And when I see them together, he's always looking at her when he thinks no one's watching."

"I thought you were watching out for them," Lupin said raising an eyebrow. "Sirius, you let them---"

"I didn't let them," Sirius said hastily. "Besides, I'm his guardian. I can't control everything he does. And I think they make a good match."

"You might want to remind him of the rule of relations between Aurors," Lupin said folding his arms.

"Does that include you and Tonks?" Harry asked from the doorway.

"Harry!" Lupin exclaimed.

Harry gave him a cocky grin. "I know you don't think you're fooling anyone. Everyone knows."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Lupin said huffily. "Nymphadora and I are just colleagues."

"In the sack," Sirius muttered.

Lupin glared at him. "I'm not going to dignify that with a response."

"What's the plan for today?" Harry asked.

"Well where's your partner?" Sirius countered. "Hermione should be here too."

"She wasn't able to make it," Harry replied. "Prefect's meeting."

"This is more important than a prefect meeting," Lupin crossed his arms.

Harry rolled his eyes. "You and your rules. I'm going to meet with her before the match to go over the game plan."

Lupin nodded. "Fine."

"You're in a great mood this morning," Harry said. "Been awhile since you shagged Tonks, eh?"

"Harry," Lupin warned as Sirius choked back his laughter.

Harry grinned. "Ease up, Lupin. I'm only having a go."

Lupin levelled his gaze at Sirius as if conveying that he thought this was all Sirius' fault.

Sirius shrugged innocently. "So Harry, you're to watch the field from up above."

"And Miss Granger will be patrolling the grounds along with me, Kingsley and Tonks," Lupin continued. "Moody is going to be in the stands with Dumbledore and the other professors."

"So it sounds as if we have all bases covered," Harry looked between the two men.

Lupin nodded. "Remember, if we are able to catch them, we want him or her alive. They may be the only one who knows how to heal the others."

"What should I do if I see something?" Harry asked.

"Should I send some sort of signal?"

"Yes," Sirius said reaching into his pocket for an earpiece. "This will allow us to hear what you hear and you can communicate with the entire team."

Harry took it. "Sounds good."

"I don't need to remind you that Kingsley will be watching everything you do during this assignment," Lupin told him. "If you want that assignment, you need to make a good showing here, Harry."

"I will," Harry pushed the earpiece in. "I'm not about to goof this up. Not if it means you and I can get that assignment we've been hoping for." he looked at Sirius.

"Or you could stay and finish up at Hogwarts," Lupin suggested.

"Remus---" Sirius said shooting him a look.

"No way," Harry shook his head. "I want to be back on the field."

"You only have a few months to finish," Lupin argued. "And you'd made friends."

"A few," Harry said. "I can keep in touch."

"And Miss Granger," Lupin said. "Will she be one of those you'll keep in touch with?"

"Maybe," Harry said. "She's really smart you know. I think she'd make a good Auror."

"And she doesn't know about this next assignment, does she?" Lupin asked folding his arms.

"I was told not to talk about it, so I haven't," Harry said, giving him a level stare.

"So now you follow the rules," Lupin countered. "You know you can't pick and choose, Harry."

"You're just pissed because I don't want to stay here," Harry complained. "I've been professional here! I wanted to leave, but I stayed and now we're getting somewhere in this investigation. I don't need you jumping down my throat!"

"I'm not jumping down your throat," Lupin said quietly. "All I have ever wanted was what was best for you. And I think that---"

"You don't get a say in it," Sirius interjected. "They didn't name you his godfather, Remus. They picked me."

Lupin looked as if Sirius had slapped him. "I-I should head on out to Hogwarts."

"Lupin--" Sirius began but his friend Apparated out.

"I'm about sick of him trying to tell me how to run my life," Harry grumbled.

"He was right- he does only want what's best for you," Sirius said.

"Don't tell me you think I should stay at Hogwarts now, too?" Harry asked incredulously. "What the hell have we been working on for the past two years, Sirius?"

"Harry relax," Sirius held up a hand. "You know I've always been lenient and let you make your own decisions. That's not going to change."

"Nothing has changed," Harry said firmly. "And nothing will change. I've put in my time at Hogwarts."

"Fine," Sirius said. "Let's move on."

"I have a feeling that something is going to happen today," Harry said eager for a change in topic.

"I hope so," Sirius answered. "We really need to find out how to heal those people in the infirmary."

"We will," Harry said. "Hermione was up all night studying over those books she took from the library."

"What were you doing?" Sirius asked.

"Me?" Harry asked fidgeting. "You know I was--well, I was---"

"I should hope you were training..." Sirius raised his eyebrow. "Doing something more productive than shagging."

"You automatically assume the worst," Harry said shaking his head. "As a matter of fact, I was training."

"Good," Sirius stood up. "When you want the earpiece to activate, use your wand on it."

Harry nodded. "Anything else you want me to tell Hermione?"

"She already knows where to meet up with her team," Sirius answered.

"Then, we're done here?" Harry asked. "I have to go play captain."

Sirius nodded. "I'll see you after the match. Good luck up there."

"Thanks," Harry said. He looked at the clock over the fireplace. He had a few minutes before has was scheduled to give the team a pep talk before the match and he wanted to check in with Hermione.

The girl in question was currently reading over another book before she would head out to meet up with the Aurors. She was extremely nervous about this and wanted to impress them.

Harry came up behind her and put his arms around her neck. "Find anything in there?"

She jumped. "You scared me!"

"You can punish me later," he said nuzzling her neck.

Hermione smiled. "I just really want Kingsley to think I know what I'm doing."

"I can certainly say without hesitation," Harry said huskily. "That you do."

"Harry," Hermione blushed. "Honestly..."

"They already think that you're brilliant," he assured her.

"Really?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"Really," Harry said giving her a kiss. "You are brilliant, Hermione. And you're going to be a great Auror."

"Thanks Harry," Hermione said, kissing him back. "Are you all set for today? Was Lupin angry I couldn't make it?"

"He was okay with it," Harry lied. "And yes, I'm ready. When you meet with Kingsley, he'll probably give you an earpiece like this one." He pulled it out of his ear. "You'll be able to communicate with us and the minute you see something suspicious you let someone know. Don't go off by yourself to investigate, Hermione. I mean it." +

"I won't," she assured him.

"You want to walk with me down to the Pitch?" Harry asked her.

"Of course I do," Hermione stood up. "I have to wish you good luck properly."

"And if I win today?" Harry asked helping her on with her cloak.

"You'll be rewarded later," Hermione said, taking his hand and squeezing it.

"I hope I'm not crap at this," Harry said shaking his head. "I haven't flown much over the past couple of years."

"You'll do fine," she said. "Just keep one eye out for the Snitch, and the other eye out for anything suspicious."

"And I'll be okay if you're okay," Harry said softly.

"I'll be extra careful," Hermione promised.

Harry touched her cheek. "We'll celebrate tonight. A win and hopefully catching this bastard once and for all."

"Right," Hermione's smile faded a bit. If they solved this case, he'd be leaving, and she didn't want him to go.

Harry mistook the look on her face for apprehension about the match. "Hey, it'll be okay."

Hermione nodded. "You'd better get down there."

Harry took her hand and led her behind a tree. He didn't want Lupin to catch them snogging and lecture them both about those bloody rules he was so fond of. Harry pulled her close and kissed her.

She melted against him, running her hands up his chest and into his hair.

He trailed kisses down her neck and she said the three little words she'd been scared for him to hear her say. But right then, she couldn't stop the words from escaping her lips. "Harry, I love you."

He froze.

Hermione opened her eyes. "Is something wrong?"

"You..." he couldn't seem to form words. "You said..."

Hermione blushed. "You don't have to say it back. I-I just wanted you to know."

Numbly he nodded.

She pressed a quick kiss to his lips. "I should get to my post."

He wished she'd hadn't said it. That echoed through his head as he watched her leave.

Ron's voice cut into his thoughts.

"Will you get your arse in the tent?" Ron asked rounding on him.

"What?" Harry asked absently.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Big match. Less than 15 minutes. You---captain. Strategy speech? Any of this ringing any bells?"

"Uh... yeah..." Harry replied.

Ron pushed him in the direction of the tent. He was pissed off, but not just because Harry didn't seem to be taking this seriously. Luna was supposed to meet him in the Great Hall for a good luck breakfast and she hadn't showed.

It was the second time and Ron wasn't sure if he wanted to put up with that anymore. He liked her, sure, but being stood up was no fun.

"Everyone's waiting," Ron told him.

"Right," Harry said automatically, pushing aside the curtain.

His team was assembled in front of the big chalkboard where Ron had obviously already started running plays. "Um...Ron, how about you continue?" Harry asked.

"What?" Ron asked. "Harry- you're the captain! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I don't want to be the captain anymore," Harry grumbled. "You're better at this than me and you obviously know the team better than me. It's your job if you want it, Ron."

"You can't do that," Ginny stood up. Harry could hardly look at the redhead- all he saw was her and Malfoy together. "Harry you can't just give up your captain position."

"Can't I change my mind?" Harry asked. "You certainly know what that's like, right Ginny?"

She glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Harry said tossing his broom to the ground. "Okay, fine! I'll be the captain. Sit your arses down and listen!"

Ron, who had already been up at the board, threw the chalk down in frustration. "Make up your bloody mind!" he said, plopping down on the bench.

"This is a big match," Harry told them, trying to block out what Hermione had said to him. "We...we can't go into this fighting with each other. We have to work as a team or we're not going to get anywhere. Whatever shite you're going through down here, stays down here during the match. Got it?"

A mumbling arose from the group in front of him.

"Fine," Harry said. He knew plenty about Quidditch- he and Sirius almost never missed a match- and he quickly went with what Ron had and did some plays.

He felt confident in their chances as he led the way out onto the pitch.

Once he was up in the air, Harry activated the earpiece. "Sirius?"

"I'm here, Harry," Sirius replied.

"Okay," he said. "Can everyone hear me?"

One by one, the Aurors checked in.

"I'm here," Hermione's voice rang in his ear.

Harry circled the field. "I don't see anything from up here yet," he said, not directly answering Hermione.

"Nothing from the stands," Sirius reported. "Hermione...you stay close to Moody."

"Yes sir," Hermione's voice came through. "Nothing from this end either."

"Madam Hooch is about to start the match," Sirius told the others. "Good luck, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry replied as the balls were let loose from the chest and zoomed in every which direction.

Hermione kept her eye out for anything suspicious as she stayed a few steps behind Moody.

Kingsley Shacklebolt was also there with him, which made Hermione feel a bit nervous and overwhelmed.

"You're doing an excellent job with the research so far," Kingsley told her.

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you, sir."

"That name you found has really given us a leg to stand on," Kingsley continued. "Lupin is currently tracing his ancestors to see if we can get a lead from there."

"I'm working as hard as I can to find out more information on him as well," Hermione told him. "I know the Hogwarts library like the back of my hand, sir. And I promise I will not let you down. Harry and I have worked really hard."

"I've been very impressed," Kingsley nodded. "You had a rocky start, and despite this case being slow moving, we've made more progress than we thought. Whoever this person is, they're very good."

"Constant vigilance!" Moody said throwing his fist in the air. "That's what you need, Miss Granger."

Hermione nearly jumped out of her skin. "Constant vigilance?"

"Keep an eye out for danger all the time," Moody told her. "You never know what evil is lurking behind every door."

Harry snorted and hoped no one had heard it.

"You look out for that golden snitch, boy," Moody said gruffly.

"I'm more concerned with anything going on down there," Harry replied.

"Just watch yourself up there," Lupin said.

"I am," Harry said, his eyes roaming all over the field.

Hermione looked toward the castle and saw a cloaked figure making their way toward the pitch. "Mr. Shacklebolt---"

"I see it," Kingsley had his wand out. "You stay here with Moody."

"But sir---" Hermione started to protest, but Kingsley was already taking off toward the castle.

"What is it?" Harry asked. "Sirius?"

"Kingsley's spotted something," Sirius told him. "Standby---"

Moody saw something suspicious in the other direction and he gave a warning look to Hermione. "Stay here."

"But sir!" Hermione protested.

"Stay here," Moody told her before limping off.

Hermione folded her arms. They were complete chauvinists. Just because she was a female they acted like she couldn't defend herself. How was she ever going to learn if they didn't let her try?

"I know what you're thinking," Harry's voice echoed in her ears. "Listen to them, Hermione."

"I'm not just here to do research," she said quietly. "I can help."

"Hermione--" Harry said warningly. From his perch in the air, he saw her following Moody. "HERMIONE!"

"What's going on?" Sirius asked him. "Where is she going?"

"You really are whipped," Malfoy said distracting Harry. "Calling out her name---"

"Shut the hell up," Harry snapped, zooming away.

Hermione gripped her wand tightly in her hand as she advanced toward Moody.

"Miss Granger," he said angrily. "I told you to wait back there!"

"Mr. Shacklebolt told me to stay with you," Hermione reminded him.

"And I told you to stay out of harms' way!" Moody's good eye glared at her.

"How about I go in the stands and knit a jumper?" Hermione hissed.

Harry couldn't help himself and let out a chuckle at her comment.

"Has anyone ever told you that you were stubborn as a mule?" Moody asked her.

"Yes," Hermione answered defiantly.

Moody shook his head. "Fine. Follow close, girl."

Hermione also gripped her wand as she stayed close to Moody.

"False alarm on my end," Kingsley reported to the others. "But I am going back to the castle."

Hermione sighed in disappointment. "I really want to find this person."

"If you ask me, this wasn't the way to go about it," Moody grumbled.

"No one asked you," Sirius cackled in Moody's earpiece.

Harry smiled from his perch in the air as he trained his eyes to try and find the Snitch.

From the shadows, the cloaked figure was pacing back and forth. The mission was clear, but they weren't sure they could do this. A part of them knew this was wrong, but the other part was so much stronger. "C-can't. N-not to him..."

"You must..." the other half hissed. "I control you! You do as I say!"

"My friend," the cloaked figure choked out. "C-can't."

"DO AS I SAY!" the other half was growing angry.

Their eyes grew dark as they stood up and looked up at the sky. Pointing the wand at the red-haired boy flying near the hoops, they muttered the incantation and quickly looked away, unable to see the results of the terrible spell.

Harry was still looking for the Snitch when from the corner of his eye he saw a spell flying towards Ron. He tore across the field and at top speed, practically yanked him off the broom.

"HARRY!" Ron exclaimed. "WHAT THE HELL---"

He didn't answer, but just heard a collective muttering from the crowd as the spell hit the goalposts, nearly shattering them.

"TIME!" Madam Hooch yelled, blowing her whistle. She motioned for the teams to join her on the ground.

"No one caught the Snitch!" Malfoy complained loudly.

Harry landed the broom carefully, a job that was complicated by Ron hanging on for dear life.

Ron was still a little dumbstruck as they hit the ground. "T-that was meant for me, wasn't it?"

"I think so," Harry said quietly.

Dumbledore was talking with Madam Hooch about what had happened and the teams both stood watching them.

Ron though looked at Harry. "You saved my life."

Harry nodded, not sure of what to say.

Seamus ran out onto the pitch before Ron could say anything. "Have either of you seen Neville?" Seamus asked them. "I haven't seen him since this morning."

Both Harry and Ron shook their heads.

"Neville--" Ginny gasped. "Oh no..."

Harry looked over at her as Hermione came out onto the pitch as well. "What do you care?" he couldn't help but ask.

Ginny looked at him. "He's my---boyfriend."

Hermione watched Malfoy as Ginny said his. His jaw clenched and he was holding his broom so tightly his knuckles were white.

"I-I have to find him," Ginny said.

Ron reached for her arm. "No, Gin. Not after what just happened."

"But I need to find him," Ginny pulled away and took off across the field.

"GINNY!" Ron called after her.

"He's probably the one who tried to hit you, Weasel," Malfoy said haughtily.

"Shut the hell up Malfoy," Ron said furiously. "I'm surprised it wasn't you! This is right up your alley."

"Ron, he was on the other side of the pitch when that spell was cast," Hermione said quietly. "Whomever it was, cast it from the ground. I don't see how it could have been Malfoy."

"Aww," Malfoy smirked. "Thanks, Mudblood."

Harry dropped his broom and grabbed Malfoy by the collar. "What did I tell you about calling her that?"

"I can't remember," Malfoy choked out. "LET GO!"

"I told you not to do it," Harry said, shoving him back.

"Looks as if Gin found Neville," Seamus announced pointing toward the far end of the pitch.

Ginny dropped her broom and ran into Neville's arms. "Where've you been?"

"I... was asleep," he said. "I just woke up..."

Ginny had tears in her eyes as she looked at him. "I was worried---someone tried to attack Ron---"

"Are you serious?" Neville looked past her. "He's okay, right?"

Ginny nodded and hugged him tightly. "Neville, I'm sorry."

"For what?" he asked.

Ginny gave him a kiss. "For being a bad girlfriend. But I'm going to change that. Starting now."

"You haven't been a bad girlfriend..." he was confused.

"Just hold me," Ginny said softly.

"Okay," Neville wrapped his arms around her. "Your brother looks like he's okay, Gin. I wouldn't worry."

Ginny held his hand and led him back over to where her team mates were awaiting word about the match.

"A draw?" Malfoy asked angrily. "How the hell can it be a draw? I had the Snitch in my sight!!!"

"You didn't catch it though," Ron pointed out gleefully.

Madam Hooch held up her hand. "We will have a rematch at a date to be decided later. You will receive word soon."

"All students are to return to their common rooms and stay there until further notice," Dumbledore announced.

"Come on," Neville took Ginny's hand and led her off the field.

"What happened?" Harry asked Hermione quietly.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm not really sure. I was with Moody when we saw a streak of light come out from near the changing rooms toward Ron. By the time we made it over there, whomever had cast the spell was gone."

"Damn it," Harry said. "At least he's okay, though." he looked back towards the redhead, who was surrounded by girls asking what it felt like to be on the brink of death.

"Harry," Hermione said looking at him. "I'm a little concerned with the fact that Luna was nowhere to be seen during the match and Neville just arrived a few minutes ago..."

"We'll find out where they were," Harry touched his earpiece. "Come on, we should go check in."

Hermione nodded. "That Moody is a real piece of work. Kind of lives up to his surname."

"You know they can still hear what you're saying, right?" Harry teased.

Hermione paled. "Oh no!"

"I'm just kidding," he said. "They stopped them after the match."

Hermione hit him on the arm. "Harry! That wasn't very nice! You scared me to death!"

He grinned at her. "Had to do it."

Though she was upset at his "joke", she was happy to see that he wasn't acting strange because of what she'd said to him before.

"Come on," he took her hand. "Let's go now before we're missed."

"Right," Hermione said quickening her step to catch up to the group of Aurors who were meeting in the middle of the pitch. The rest of the student body had cleared out already.

"Well?" Harry asked Sirius.

"Nothing," Sirius replied.

"Nothing?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"We should have Aurors here on a 24-hour basis," Moody grumbled. "Putting this case in the hands of two teenagers---"

"Two teenagers who are doing a great job," Kingsley interrupted. "And if you'll recall, Alastor- Harry is a trained Auror already. Miss Granger is nearly as good as one."

Hermione smiled brightly at Kingsley. "Thank you, sir."

Kingsley motioned for Harry and Sirius to come over to him. "About the assignment possibility for you two," he began. "The one over in Vancouver?"

"Yes, sir?" Harry asked.

"It's looking good," he said. "Very, very good."

Harry looked at Sirius and grinned. "I can't wait."

"That's the year long one, right?" Sirius asked.

Kingsley nodded. "I'll know more in the next couple of weeks, of course, but I think it's a go."

"Yes!" Harry pumped his fist as Kingsley walked away. "Sirius we got it!"

"Got what?" Hermione asked softly. "Harry?"

Harry picked her up and whirled her around. "Sirius and I just got the assignment we've been working for!"

Hermione laughed. "That's great! What sort of assignment?"

"We go to Vancouver," Harry said. "For a year, we go out there and train Aurors."

Hermione's face fell. "W-when would you leave?"

"Soon as this case is over," Harry replied.

"That's great," Hermione said forcing a smile. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Harry said with a wide grin.

Sirius noticed the look on her face and pulled his godson away. "Harry..."

"I'm going to go ahead back to the castle," Hermione said quickly. "I'll catch up to you later."

Harry watched her leave. "What's wrong with her?"

Sirius shook his head. "Oh, I don't know. Perhaps she's not too happy that her boyfriend is going to leave her for a year."

"Sirius--" Harry began. "It's only a year."

"A year is a long time, Harry," Sirius told him.

Harry sighed. "Sirius... she told me she loved me today."

"I warned you about this," Sirius reminded him.

"Yeah well..." Harry crossed his arms. "I don't know what to do." he wouldn't meet Sirius's eyes.

"Girls like that aren't around just to have a good time, Harry," Sirius lectured. "You knew that going in. Yet, you did it anyway."

"Look," Harry said. "I've told her since I came here that I'd be leaving soon as the case was over."

"And you never gave her reason to think you'd stay afterwards?" Sirius asked raising an eyebrow at him.

Harry shook his head. "Not that I know of... shit. I might have mentioned I would ask about staying..."

"Perhaps I should ask Hagrid about giving you shovel to dig yourself out of this massive hole you've made for yourself."

"Shut up Sirius," Harry snapped. "It's not like I'm in love with her or anything!"

"Mighty defensive, aren't we?" Sirius asked.

"No," Harry said quickly.

"How do you feel about this girl, Harry?"

"I like her," Harry answered.

"And that's all?"

"Why do you ask?" Harry shook his head.

"I like her," Sirius said. "And I don't want to see her get hurt."

"I'm not going to hurt her," Harry crossed his arms.

Sirius levelled his gaze at his godson. "You just did."

"Sirius this doesn't concern you," Harry said angrily.

"What are you getting angry with me for?" Sirius asked him. "I'm just calling it like I see it."

"What's going on between me and Hermione is no one's business but ours," Harry said darkly.

"Fair enough," Sirius said holding up his hands. "I need to get back to Headquarters anyway."

"Fine," Harry said, his mood changing. "I can't really believe we got that assignment."

Sirius smiled. "I guess Remus was right...hard work does pay off every now and then."

"Soon as I'm out of here, we're there," Harry swore.

"I'll be in touch," Sirius said clapping him on the back.

Harry nodded as he left the field and headed back to the Gryffindor common room.

The common room was full of students chatting and speculating about what had gone on at the Quidditch match. Harry looked for Hermione and finally spotted her in the corner talking to Lavender Brown. He didn't even know the two girls were friendly.

He was going to go over to talk to her, but decided to go shower and get changed into something more comfortable first.

Lavender patted Hermione's shoulder. "He's a wanker, Hermione. You deserve better."

Hermione shrugged. "I told myself not to fall for him... but I didn't listen."

"It was the same, exact way with me and Ron," Lavender said sympathetically. "I knew he was a complete moron, but I couldn't help myself. And in the end, I was the one who ended up hurt."

"Yeah but you bounced back, right?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"Of course," Lavender said nodding. "And you will too."

Hermione hadn't told her friend about Harry's leaving, but she had told her about telling him she was in love with him and his less than enthusiastic response.

"I just feel like such a fool now for saying it aloud," Hermione rubbed her forehead.

"In retrospect, you definitely should have waited," Lavender said thoughtfully. "He should say it first, but you'll know better next time, Hermione. And you're not the fool here, he is."

"Thanks Lavender," Hermione said. "It's been really nice talking to you lately."

"See?" Lavender asked. "I'm not a complete bubblehead."

Hermione laughed. "Definitely not."

"We should definitely hang out together more," Lavender said.

Hermione nodded. "I'd like that a lot," she said, straightening up as Harry came back down the stairs. His hair was damp, and he was wearing a fitted jumper and jeans. He looked so good she almost lost her resolve.

"Hello, Harry," Lavender said icily.

"Hi Lavender," he said. "Can we talk?" he looked over at Hermione.

"I'm going to go and check on Parvati anyway," Lavender said quietly. She looked at Hermione and mouthed the words "Be strong" before heading upstairs.

"Talk about what?" Hermione asked toying with a string on one of the throw pillows.

"You're in a strop with me," he said, sitting down in Lavender's vacated seat.

"I am not," Hermione said quietly. "I don't know why you'd think that."

"This assignment is part of the reason I don't want to stay," he told her. "We've been working towards it for awhile."

"And you never mentioned it to me," Hermione said finally looking at him.

"I wasn't sure it would even happen," Harry pointed out.

"Congratulations," Hermione said tersely. "You have what you want. Nothing else matters."

"That's not true," Harry began.

"You never were going to stay, were you?" Hermione cut him off. "That promise you made to me the other night...you never intended to keep it. You just said it to placate me."

"I never promised!" Harry said.

"I guess I had it wrong then," Hermione said trying very hard to keep her emotions in check. The last thing she wanted to do was get into a shouting match with him in the middle of the crowded common room.

"Hermione, I came here to work on a case," Harry said. "I met you- and you weren't what I expected. I... I care about you."

Hermione gave out a hollow laugh. "That's what I've always wanted. For you to care about me."

"I don't know what you want!" Harry exclaimed. "Damn it, I can't just give up my life!"

"I never asked you to do that," Hermione said in a hushed tone. "But if you knew that you weren't going to stay here and you knew that you didn't want to have any ties, why the hell did you let me--"

"Let you what?" Harry asked. "You wanted that too, Hermione. You asked me to stay that first night."

Hermione nodded. "You were wonderful to me that night. I was still in shock and you stayed with me and you promised that you'd never let anything or anyone hurt me. I felt safe."

"I won't let anything happen to you," Harry told her. "We're partners."

"I don't want just that," Hermione said deciding to lay it all on the line right then and there. "I want more. I want that with you."

Harry stared at her for several moments. "I can't... I can't give all that right now."

"Do you think you ever will?" Hermione asked touching his leg. "Harry---"

"I don't know," he said.

"So," Hermione said withdrawing her hand. "What we've been doing. It's just been shagging, is that it?"

"Hermione, I can't just put a label on what we have," he argued.

Hermione fell silent.

"I told you how I feel," Harry said. "It's all I'm capable of right now. I can't give up this assignment with Sirius."

Hermione nodded, feeling even more like a fool. She should have kept their involvement strictly professional.

Harry didn't know what else to say. "We... we can still do rounds. Kingsley told me before he left that Viktor Krum was spotted coming into Hogsmeade from the direction of the castle."

"McGonagall was in here a few minutes before you arrived," Hermione said in a business-like tone. "She wants us all to stay here until dinner. We can do rounds afterwards."

Harry nodded. "Sounds good."

Hermione looked away.

"Hermione come on," Harry said. "We still have to work together."

She stood up. "I think it's best if we just keep things professional from now on."

"Is this because I didn't say I love you?" Harry asked. "You're just going to close off from me now?"

"You closed off from me the moment I said it to you," Hermione countered.

"If I had, I wouldn't be here now," Harry pointed out.

Hermione sighed. "I should never have said it."

"Look, we still have to work together," Harry said. "We have to make the best of things."

"You handle them your way and I'll handle them mine," Hermione said. "In fact, someone asked me to the Yule Ball today and since you're not going to be here, perhaps I should tell him yes."

"Who?" Harry asked, his eyebrows creasing together.

"Steven Fawcett," Hermione replied. "Why?"

"Who the hell is that?" Harry asked.

"He's in Ravenclaw," Hermione replied, enjoying the fact that he was jealous. "He's always been very nice to me and we chatted at the prefect's meeting this morning."

"I still might be here," Harry said after a moment.

"So you're saying I shouldn't go with Steven then?" Hermione asked him.

Harry hated that he felt jealous. "If I'm still here, we probably have to go together. It's only a few weeks."

"Probably have to go together?" Hermione asked glaring at him. "Well, isn't that a romantic proposal."

"What the hell do you want from me?" Harry snapped. "Damn it, I told you already--"

Hermione too his arm and pushed through the crowd so they could talk in private. They'd already attracted enough attention as it was. She practically shoved him out of the portrait hole.

"What the hell?" he asked angrily.

Hermione pushed him against the wall. "Do you want me?"

"What?" he asked.

"Do. You. Want. Me?" Hermione asked slowly pressing her body to his.

Harry gulped. This was a trick question and he knew whatever he said would get him in deep water. That and currently all the blood in his system was rushing south and he couldn't really think properly.

"It's a simple question," Hermione said in a throaty voice as she touched his chest.

"I uh..." Harry had a lump in his throat the size of a tennis ball. "Oh man..."

"Hmmmm," Hermione murmured kissing his neck.

"Hermione..." he choked out. He wanted to tell her he DID want her, but words simply weren't possible at the moment.

"Yes, Harry?" Hermione asked softly.

"I... I just...." His eyes were nearly crossing as she traced her fingers over his chest.

"Yes or no?" Hermione asked arching against him.

"You're playing dirty," he said through clenched teeth.

"You remember that first night?" Hermione asked softly, her hands reaching under his jumper. "That night in the pub? When you saw me in that dress?"

"Yeah?" he said, biting down hard on his lower lip.

"No one's ever looked at me that way before," Hermione said pressing her lips against his. "No one's ever made me feel that way before."

His heart beat faster as his hands moved around her hips, keeping her close.

"And so, I ask you again," Hermione said looked up at him. "What do you want?"

He wanted her... he wanted her desperately. But when he opened his mouth, nothing came out.

"You're driving me crazy," Hermione whispered looking down. "I can feel how much you want me right now, Harry..."

"All right..." he said."I want you... you already knew that."

"And that's it," Hermione said quietly pushing away from him.

"Hermione..." he reached out for her.

"What?" she asked.

It hit him in that exact moment- he suddenly realised he was falling in love with her. But he wasn't sure how she would react if he just came out and said it.

Hermione took his hand. Perhaps it had been too soon to expect him to say it back. They had only known each other for a few weeks. "Maybe you're right," she whispered.

"What?" he asked his eyes wide. Had she guessed?

"Maybe we should just take it day by day," Hermione replied. "And just enjoy what time we do have together."

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Maybe that's best."

"And Steven isn't much of a dancer," Hermione said.

Harry half smiled. "I'm not either."

"You could show me," Hermione said smiling at him.

He laughed. "Now? Here?"

"We could find a classroom," she suggested.

"We're not supposed to leave the common room," he pointed out.

"We already have," she stated.

He liked her much better like this and at least she wasn't asking him to tell her how he was feeling. "Okay, but if you we get caught, I'm telling them it was all your idea."

"Chicken," Hermione rolled her eyes. She still wasn't happy about Harry's avoidance of her answer and his obvious excitement at leaving, but she'd take this for now.

"Okay, Granger," Harry said. "Lead the way."

Hermione quickly found an empty classroom. "Okay," she said. "Show me what you've got."

"By myself?" he asked her. "No way..."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Well how am I supposed to help you if you don't tell me or show me what you know?"

"Let me guess," Harry said. "In the middle of those kung fu lessons of yours, you took ballroom dance, too?"

"No," Hermione gave him a look. "I'm not that great a dancer but I know a few things."

"Okay," Harry said taking her hands. "I'm your student."

Hermione put his left hand up on her shoulder and his right on her waist. "This is a classic ballroom pose," she said.

"Okay," Harry said smiling at her. "So that's what we do with our hands, what about our feet?"

"We move them," she said. "Like this..."

Harry tried to mimic her movements, trying not to trip over his own feet. "I'm not very good at this."

"It's okay," she said. "You're all right."

"Right," Harry said. "In some alternate universe, maybe, but in this one, I'm rubbish."

"You'll pass inspection at the dance," Hermione answered. "Besides, we probably won't be doing much dancing there. It's the perfect opportunity for our little friend to try something."

Harry nodded. "You're probably right."

"I'm going to write to Sirius," Hermione said. "To let them know what we think."

"He'll be glad to hear from you," Harry said. "I think my godfather likes you more than he likes me."

"I'm really sure," Hermione answered dryly.

"I-I'm sorry for not telling you about the assignment," Harry told her.

She was quiet. "Would you really be gone for a year?"

He stopped dancing with her. "Yeah."

Hermione nodded. "Let's not talk about it now."

"If that's what you want," he said nodding.

"We should probably get back to the common room," Hermione pulled away from him. She'd managed to forget about his new assignment until he'd brought it up. And now all she could think about was that it was more important to him than she was.

"Hermione---"

"Let's just get back," she held up a hand. "You were right- I don't want to get in trouble. We should probably talk to Dumbledore sometime this evening."

"Right," Harry nodded.

Hermione also nodded and she walked out of the classroom.

When they walked out of the classroom, they met Professor McGonagall.

"Professor," Hermione started to explain.

"Miss Granger," McGonagall said. "Mr. Potter, have you seen Luna Lovegood today?"

"At breakfast," Hermione said. "No one's seen her? Do you think she was attacked?"

McGonagall shook her head. "I'm not sure, Miss. Granger. But no one's seen her since last night at dinner."

Hermione was worried as was Harry. "We'll go look for her," he offered.

"Stay together," McGonagall said. "And be careful."

"Yes Professor," Hermione drew her wand.

"I'm sure she's okay," Harry said as he and Hermione set off to patrol the third floor.

"I just feel like with every attack, the person doing it grows stronger and we grow weaker," Hermione said. "I know we've found things out through research, and I know we've had run in's, but it just doesn't feel like enough,"

"It's frustrating, but eventually they'll make a mistake and we have to be there to trip them up," Harry said looking over his shoulder. "I mean you heard what Kingsley said about us, right?"

"I was there," Hermione replied.

"I just wanted you to know that they recognise what a good job you've done," Harry said.

"Kingsley told me," Hermione answered.

"You handled yourself really well with Moody," Harry said looking sideways at her.

"I've had practise dealing with difficult people," Hermione said.

"By difficult, you mean me?"

"Not necessarily," she answered. "I was thinking more of Ron."

"Ron can certainly try your patience," Harry agreed. "But you more than hold your own against him."

"I feel bad that he was almost hit by that spell," Hermione said.

"I got to him in time," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "That was pretty incredible, Harry."

Without even realising it, Harry had taken her hand in his. "I was worried about you, too."

"Me?" she asked. "I was fine."

"But you were far away from me and if something had happened..."

"I can handle myself," Hermione said. "I know I didn't do so well that... one time but I'm better prepared."

"I know you are," he said. "You're going to be a great Auror, Hermione. I know it."

"I hope so," Hermione avoided his stare.

"You know you'll be busy the next three years training," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I suppose," Hermione answered.

"Just because I leave doesn't mean we have to end what we have," Harry continued.

"Harry I really don't want to talk about this now," Hermione said. "Please."

"Everyone in my life that I've cared about has---except for Sirius----has...look, this isn't easy for me," he said wanting for her to understand where he was coming from.

She pulled her hand from his and crossed her arms.

"Hermione-"

"I don't want excuses, okay?" she said a bit harshly.

"I'm not giving you excuses," Harry said in exasperation. "You wanted to know how I felt and I'm telling you. Okay?"

Hermione supposed she was pouting a bit because it wasn't what she wanted to hear. "Fine," she said quietly.

"Don't turn away from me," he said reaching for her again. "I need you."

"What?" Hermione's eyes widened.

"You heard me," he said.

"You need me... for this assignment?" she ventured. "Or..."

"Both," he said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Hermione was hardly able to breathe. "Harry do you love me?"

"I've never been in love," he said softly. "I don't know it feels like, Hermione."

"It's a pretty incredible feeling," she said, encouraged. "You'll know it if you feel it Harry."

Harry leaned in and softly kissed her.

Hermione responded to it at first, but pushed him away. "I can't do this."

"Can't do what?" he asked.

"This!" she exclaimed. "I can't just be your shag partner, Harry. I'm not that type of girl!"

"You think that's what I'm doing?" He asked her. "You really think that's how I'm treating you?"

"When you can't admit your feelings?" Hermione asked. "Yes, I do."

He couldn't believe that was how she saw him after all they'd been through.

"Make up your damn mind, Hermione," he said walking ahead of her. "One minute it's that you love me and that it's okay if I don't say it back and then the next you're accusing me of using you."

Hermione huffed. "You're a jackass."

"And you're like every girl I've ever met," Harry shot back over his shoulder.

Hermione stopped completely still. "How dare you say that to me?" she asked.

"How dare you accuse me of just shagging you?" Harry retorted. "If you thought that was all we were doing, you don't know me at all, Hermione."

"If I'm like every girl, then you're like any guy," Hermione shot back. "You didn't spare me a second glance until you saw me dressed up. After that you couldn't keep your hands off me."

She had him there and he looked guiltily down at the floor.

"Ronald---"

"What was that?" Harry asked turning with his wand pointed straight ahead. "Luna?"

Hermione rushed past him. "Luna! What are you doing out here by yourself?"

"I don't know..." Luna's blue eyes were unfocused. "I was going to the game and all of a sudden I just felt like I was knocked out. I woke up in the corridor..."

"Did you see anyone?" Harry asked her as he and Hermione helped her to her feet.

Luna winced. "My head hurts..."

"Let's get you to the infirmary," Hermione said, turning her back on Harry. "It'll be okay Luna."

"Ronald's okay, isn't he?" Luna asked grabbing onto Hermione's arm. "Please? Tell me he's okay."

"He's fine," Hermione replied. "But how did you know about him?"

Luna opened her mouth to respond, but her eyes suddenly rolled back in her head and she passed out. Harry caught her just in time.

"Let's get her to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione said brusquely.

Harry nodded picking the blonde up and following Hermione silently toward the Hospital Wing.

Once they were there, Hermione told the nurse where they had found Luna and Madam Pomfrey directed them to one of the beds.

"I'll go and tell Professor Dumbledore," Harry offered.

Hermione didn't look at him as she sat down by Luna's bedside.

Madam Pomfrey hurried about examining Luna. Hermione noticed that Luna wasn't wearing her cork necklace. In it's place was some sort of pendant that Hermione had never seen before. It was certainly unusual and she couldn't tell if the metal was gold or not.

"Where did she get that?" Hermione asked herself silently. She found a piece of parchment and did a quick, crude sketch so she could research it.

"She has a slight fever," Madam Pomfrey announced. "I wonder how long she's been out?"

"She fainted a few minutes ago," Hermione told her.

"This child hasn't been getting enough sleep," Madam Pomfrey said shaking her head. "You're all the same, you know? Working yourselves to the limits..."

"I'm fine," Hermione interrupted.

"Hmmmph," Madam Pomfrey said. "Will you stay with her while I fetch the potions?"

"Of course," Hermione agreed.

Madam Pomfrey hurried away and Hermione studied Luna, who was beginning to stir. "Ronald....can't....no...."

"Luna," Hermione said. "He's okay..."

Luna gripped Hermione's arm. "Ronald means everything to me. You have to believe me!"

"I believe you," Hermione said, looking at her strangely. "Luna, what do you know about who attacked you?"

"C-can I have a glass of water?" Luna asked trying to sit up. "My mouth is dry..."

"Sure," Hermione got up and went for the jug on the other side of the room.

Luna fingered the pendant and tried to remember the events of last night. Everything was such a blur.

"Here you go," Hermione said. "Where did you get the pendant?"

"What?" Luna asked after taking a sip of water.

"That pendant," Hermione said. "You always have that cork necklace on-- didn't Ron give it back to you?"

"Yes, but I wanted to wear this since I found it on an expedition with my father last summer," Luna replied.

"Oh," Hermione answered. "It's um... it's very pretty.'

Luna took another sip of her water. "I'm so sleepy."

"You should rest then," Hermione said. "Madam Pomfrey's getting you some potions."

"Dumbledore's going to come down in a minute," Harry burst back into the room, making Luna jump.

She dropped the glass and the water spilled all over her jumper and onto her jeans.

Hermione gasped and grabbed a towel. "Nice going, Harry." she glared at him.

Harry sighed. It didn't matter what he said or did now, everything was going to piss her off. "I stopped off at the common room to let Ron know. He's on his way, too."

"Ronald's coming?" Luna asked. "He's okay?"

"That's a matter for debate," Harry said sitting down. "But physically, he's fine."

"I heard he was nearly attacked," Luna's eyes were filled with tears.

"I got to him in time," Harry said still wondering how Luna could have known this, given that she was knocked out. He figured that Hermione must have filled Luna in on the events of the day.

Dumbledore came into the room and he looked concernedly at the blonde. "There, there, Miss Lovegood. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you."

Luna nodded. "Thank you sir."

"Can you remember anything more about what happened?" Dumbledore asked gently.

Luna wiped at her eyes as Ron came rushing into the room.

"Luna," Ron said softly.

One look at his face and she burst into tears again. Hermione stood back so Ron could sit at Luna's side.

Ron put his arms around her and held her while she cried. "I was worried when you didn't meet me for breakfast...."

"I overslept," she sobbed into his shoulder. "And you were almost hurt!"

"I'm okay," Ron said patting her back reassuringly. "Better than okay since you're still here with me."

"I was on my way to the game," Luna said in a quivery voice. "And I felt like someone hit me on the back of my head."

Dumbledore nodded. "Miss Lovegood, no one saw you since last night when you went to bed, according to Headmistress McGonagall. Your roommates said that your bed appeared unslept in."

"I was there," Luna struggled to concentrate.

Madam Pomfrey hurried back with a glass of a green liquid that she handed to Luna. "There are entirely too many people in this room! Miss Lovegood needs her rest. You can question her after she's taken her potions and had the chance to get some rest."

"I-I want Ronald to stay with me," Luna said looking pleadingly at Ron.

"If it's okay, I'd like to stay," Ron said, squeezing Luna's hand.

"It's okay with me," Dumbledore replied. "If it's okay with you, Poppy?"

"For a little while," Madam Pomfrey said. "But the rest of you- out!"

Dumbledore motioned for Harry and Hermione to follow him. Hermione avoided looking at Harry.

"You may both patrol the castle, especially where Miss Lovegood was found, to find some clues," he told them.

"Perhaps we could split up," Hermione suggested. "I can take one area and...he....can take the other."

Dumbledore looked back and forth between them for a moment. "If that's what you would like, then by all means."

"I think it would be best if we stuck together," Harry said glaring at her.

"And I think I am more than capable of doing this on my own," Hermione said grabbing her wand and taking off toward the staircase.

Dumbledore watched her go. "I would prefer you stick together, but Miss Granger is capable of handling things on her own." he said.

Harry sighed. "She's stubborn and pig-headed and impossible to understand, sir."

The older man almost smiled. "But she's your partner, Mr. Potter."

"Partner?" Harry asked rolling his eyes. "Yeah..."

"I trust you two won't hinder this investigation with personal problems?" Dumbledore peered over his half moon glasses.

"No sir," Harry replied. He was sure that he could, but he wasn't so sure about Hermione.

Dumbledore nodded. "Very good. I'll leave you to it."

Harry had no idea where Hermione was, so he decided he'd start with where they'd found Luna.

He backtracked down the corridor and began searching the floor closely for any clues.

Hermione tapped him on the shoulder. She wasn't happy to see him, but they were partners. Harry whipped around and nearly hexed her before realising who she was.

"HERMIONE!" Harry yelled. "You scared me half to death!:"

"You're so overdramatic," Hermione rolled her eyes.

"I'm overdramatic?" Harry asked her. "That's rich coming from you."

"I'm not here to argue with you," Hermione snapped.

"What are you here for then?" Harry asked impatiently.

"I found something," Hermione replied. "Is it too much to ask for you to follow me?"

Harry nodded. "Fine. What did you find?"

Hermione held up a vial. "It's empty, but there was a potion in it. We should take it to Snape and find out what it was."

"And I'm sure he'd be only too happy to help," Harry said sarcastically.

"Perhaps I'll go alone then," Hermione snapped. "I never had a lot of problems with him until YOU came along!"

"Easy," Harry said. "That was directed at Snape, not you. You know he's not going to want to help us, Hermione."

"Then I'll go to Dumbledore," Hermione said, sweeping past him.

"Hermione," Harry said taking off after her.

"What?" she asked, not stopping.

"We need to find some way to work together," he said. "Come on."

"We are working together," Hermione said coolly. "And that's it. We're just working together."

"I know," Harry said tersely. "You know, just this morning, you and I were happy..."

"Amazing how things can change," Hermione said drolly.

"Fascinating," Harry said. He didn't like having her react to him like this, but he certainly couldn't tell her how he was feeling now. She'd never believe him. He wished he could get his hands on a Time Turner and start this whole day over.

"Where did Dumbledore go?" Hermione changed the subject.

"I'm not sure," Harry said. "Perhaps back to his office." This wasn't going to be easy. He just hoped that Ron was having a better time with his girl.

In the hospital wing, Ron watched as Luna finished drinking her potion. "How's that?" he asked her.

"It tastes horrible," Luna set the glass aside.

Ron reached for her hand. "Are you comfortable enough?"

Luna nodded. "Are you really okay?"

Ron couldn't believe she was concerned about him after all that happened to her. "Yeah, I'm good."

"I'm glad," Luna said. "I don't know what I'd do if you'd gotten hurt Ronald."

Ron leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I feel the same way about you, Luna."

"You do?" Luna asked softly.

Ron nodded. "I actually thought you stood me up again. I'm sorry..."

"I haven't been very good at meeting you," Luna looked down at her lap.

"You've been preoccupied," he said looking to see if Madam Pomfrey was in sight. When he didn't spot her, he got onto the bed with Luna and held her. "It's okay."

Luna hugged him tightly as she buried her face in his chest.

"That's going to change now," Ron said. "I'm going to watch over you and protect you."

Luna's heart beat quicker. "Ronald?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm in love with you," she said softly.

Ron looked thoughtfully at her. "Really? Hmmm....well, that's good to know because..."

"Because?" Luna asked hopefully.

"Because....I happen to be in love with you too," Ron whispered.

"You are?" Luna asked. "You're not just saying that?"

"I'm not just saying it," Ron told her.

"Thank you, Ronald," Luna said, laying her head on his shoulder.

"Madam Pomfrey said that stuff would make you sleep," Ron said stroking her hair.

Luna nodded. "I'm starting to feel it."

"I'll stay here with you," Ron promised.

"The whole time?" she asked.

"The whole time," Ron promised kissing the top of her head. "And I'd like to see that old bat try and kick me out."

Luna smiled slightly and snuggled in closer to him.

"I'm so happy," Luna whispered.

"Me too," Ron admitted.

"I always imagined being with you like this," Luna said closing her eyes. "And it's really happening."

"Yeah it is," Ron stroked her hair. "I never really thought I could feel like this about you, Luna. But I'm glad we're together."

"No matter what?" Luna asked holding on tightly to him.

"No matter what," he agreed as she finally fell asleep.

-->